Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Boxster and Boxster S

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Oh, that's not nice!! Your first Porsche and you got a deal about 5-6% better than I was quoted!

Congratulations on a hell of a deal. 17% is more than the full mark-up (about 12-13%) on the car, so unless they played some funny business on you - like $3,000 pinstripes - you managed to get the car under dealer cost. And you got the right transmission to boot.

Enjoy your new ride.
  • flugelflugel Member Posts: 34
    What dealership in which city (and phone number)? I'm looking for a leftover 2005 boxster S with tiptronic. Any leads?

The dealer in Fairfax, VA only would give me $1200 off on a 2006 w tiptronic and Xenon and heated seats. He wanted $61,400 after discount(it was $62,400). He had already installed a $1,000 option called "Road Block" which is suppose to prevent road and stone chips since it provides a clear vinyl like coat over the front hood instead of the unsightly bra.

Where should I buy from near Northern Virginia and how do I get $6,000 off a 2005 S WITH tiptronic AND WHERE DO I LOOK?

None of the places (on the internet) I have looked show the dealers inventory with the itemized price of each car (like it does with American cars).

Please advise asap as I'm getting the impulse to do something soon.

Don't hesitate to e-mail me privately or give me your phone number, especially if you live in Northern virginia.

Thanks,

Flugel
  • audi4meaudi4me Member Posts: 6
    I JUST Got a 2000 BOXTER... everything seems to be going well, i was just wondering what i should be looking out for... any problems whatsoever?? cause originally i wanted a Audi TT but heard many problems with it so i decided to take the BOXTER....please help thanks
  • 1stporsche1stporsche Member Posts: 7
    Sorry, Flugel. I'm on the other side of the country, southern California. I went to a dealership in San Diego... which was a 100 mile trek from where I live but I suppose it was worth it! Are you sure the dealerships in your area don't list prices online? Quite a few of them here list inventory and msrp (including options added). From the Porsche website I just searched 100 miles away from my city and it lists all the dealerships and takes you to their websites with just a click. Actually, I just looked at the 6 dealerships in Virginia right now for you and they all have prices listed online...
    With Tiptronic it may be a bit harder to get a deal... at least it is here where I live. Most (if not all) of the 2005's I saw were manual transmission. I probably got such a great bargain cause the car I got was probably a customized order that the customer ultimately passed on. It only had 15 miles on it when I got it so I'm guessing that the options it had turned a lot of customers off the price (close to $57k for a manual base Boxster IS a bit much... even w/nav, Makassar wood, power seats, xenon, etc etc).
    Habitat1, you mean those pinstripes and clear bra shouldn't have cost $5000??? Just kidding. I think I did manage to get an awesome deal.
    One question, how come sometimes when I'm stopped (ie idling at a traffic light), it's very difficult to get the gear shift from neutral to 1st gear? Happened a couple of times. It literally would not go into the first gear slot... had to do a bit of fidgeting and jiggling. Normal? I havent driven a stick for about 6 years so am I just being nitpicky? Maybe I have to break it in....
    flugel,

Try:

Porsche USA

Click on "Find a Dealer" and put in your zip code and 250 or 500 mile radius. Then start clicking away to check each dealers inventory. For what it's worth, I contacted or visited all 4 dealers in the immediate DC area - HBL, Rockville, Arlington, Tischer - and none wanted to deal much on a 911 Cab.. Prior to deciding on the 911, I almost bought a 2005 Boxster S from HBL. But they only reluctantly matched the discount I had gotten elsewhere and still didn't seem that interested in closing the deal. I bought my 911 from Porsche of Hunt Valley, in the Baltimore area.

Also, the bad news is that you are looking for a 2005 Boxster S w/Tiptronic. I know of several dealers that will not order or accept any Tiptronic cars, except by customer order, with a substantial deposit. So the supply of leftover 2005 Tiptronics is much more limited than 6-speeds. The good news is that, if you do find one that you want, you may have even better bargaining position than on a 6-speed, since it may be viewed by the dealer as a white elephant.

On the Tiptronic, I am sure you have your reasons. However, FWIW, I found the 6-speed Boxster S exceptionally smooth and easy to drive, even in heavy traffic. The Tip costs $3,400 and reduces the performance of the Boxster S to the base Boxster. Not to mention it will have diminished resale value compared to a 6-speed. My wife would have castrated me if I got "our" 911 with a Tip. I just mention this in the event you are flexible in transmission choice.
    Well, congratulations again on a great deal. :)

On the 1st gear engagement difficulty, I wouldn't call that "normal" if it happens frequently. I have had 1-2 occassions in 1,100 miles on my 911 where it didn't slip into first easily; however, I am still getting used to reverse being to the left of first and chalk it up to my missing the slot.

I'd call the dealer now to put them on notice that, if it continues, you want them to check it out. But my guess is that you are just a little rusty.
  • barbbbarbb Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying a 2002 Boxster, excellent condition, 6,000 miles, 1 year of warranty left. LIke you, I've never owned a Porsche either, but my nephew has had six of them and swears by them. This is from a private party and he's asking $29,500. After looking at some of the other posts, it looks like it may be a fair deal, but perhaps I should look at the Honda S2000. I'm really confused, can anyone clue me in? Thanks.
  • davezaristodavezaristo Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I have a question regarding leasing. I am looking to purchase a 05 Boxster due to the fact that the dealers in my area are offering $5,000 off msrp. I am planning to negotiate even more, perhaps $6-7000 off and would like to know how much my month leasing payment would be. The msrp of the car including destination charge is about $49,500, so with the discount, let's say $6000 off would be $43,500. I am planning to put no down, do a 3yr and 12k miles/yr lease, and my sales tax is 8.25%. If you can help me come up with some figure on how much it will cost me, that would be greatly appreciated. I have always pay cash for my cars and this is the first time I am considering leasing. Thanks!!
  • sfcarnutsfcarnut Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a used Boxster S. How much better of a car is the 2005 Boxster S than the 2003-2004 models? Lightly used 2005s seem to be listed in the low $50's and some 2003-2004 models are in the low $40's. Is it worth the difference?
    IMO, yes, it's worth the difference.

The extra power in the 2005 over the 2004 is noticable. As is the crisper handling and faster throttle response, assuming you get a car with the PASM and Sport Chrono options which I highly recommend. Looks are subjective, but I personally think the 2005+ Boxsters are much sharper looking both outside and in. The interior materials, dash design, etc. are now worthy of a premium roadster, which I didn't feel was the case in the previous model.

If you were on a limited budget, I would suggest a new Honda S2000 at $31k over a 1-2 year old Boxster S. I went that route in late 2001 and didn't regret it. I had less than $400 in total routine service expenses over 2.5 years and 19k miles. I traded it last spring and got $22k in trade-in. But if you can comfortably afford the 2005+ Boxster I would go for it. If I were in the middle, I would take a 2005 base Boxster (240 hp) with PASM and Sport Chrono over a 2003-4 Boxster S without those options.
  • gemini5362gemini5362 Member Posts: 17
    After a month I finally got my DVD with the maps on it for my GPS navigation system in my boxster. To say I am disapointed would be a severe understatement. I live near the second largest city in the state of arkansas. When I attempted to put in the address of the Main Post Office in that town I found out that although the address is on 74th street, the highest number street the map lists is 62nd street. most of the towns buisnesses are on streets higher in number than 62. The main post office, The biggest hospital in town, etc etc are all not listed on the map. I dont expect the maps to have the newest subdivisions in it, but the postal service and the hospital have been in their locations for 20 years. If they cannot update this town in 20 years how accurate can I depend on any of their maps to be if I want to take a trip
    "I live near the second largest city in the state of arkansas".

What's "arkansas"? ;) Sorry, I had a friend move there from the DC area awhile back and that's the question he asked his law firm partners when they asked him to set up an office in Little Rock.

In any event, it sounds like you might have a deffective DVD. I was in the fourth largest city in Pennsylvania this past weekend, and the nav system even showed the private roads inside a cemetary and adjacent country club. Are you saying that your nav system didn't list the 63+ numbered streets, didn't show them on the map dispay, or neither?

I find the Porsche nav system to be lacking compared to our Acura systems in terms of ease of use, lack of touch screen or voice recognition capability, lack of a mouse to morve the curser around, etc. But so far, I haven't found the actual information on streets and POI's to be missing. You might want to check back with your dealer.
  • swimfanswimfan Member Posts: 4
    I'm in NE Ohio, and wondering what kind of deal I should expect to get on purchase of base 2005 Boxster with minimal options, and 5-speed manual transmission now that its both the end of the warm weather months and the model year? How much under MSRP would be good deal? 10%? More?
    If you can still find what you want, I think 10% to 12% off would be a good deal. When I was considering a Boxster S in August, Stoddard Porsche in Ohio offered $6,000 off on a 2005 with an MSRP of $60,500, or roughly 10%.

You might want to use the Porsche website's dealer locator to check inventories within your region. Also, although you indicated you are looking for a base car, don't turn down one with the Sport Chrono package if you can get a good deal. It's one of my favorite options on my 911 and should make a base Boxster 5-speed even more fun to drive.
    It did not show them on the map display or list them for setting up a destination. When I drive through the area it shows up a state highway but nothing around it. The map shows older sections of town but not anything in the area I am talking about. The street addresses it is missing is for Hospitals, Post offices etc that have been there for over 20 years. Google uses navteq maps and I can find all of the missing streets when I look on google. Google actually lists the small street in rural arkansas that I live on and the street name of that was changed about 6 years ago. I called porsche, they in turn told me to call my dealer. I called my dealer who told me to call navteq. I called navteq they informed me that if there was something wrong with my disk that the whole system would not work. The lady at navteq was at least a little helpful. She wrote an email to her tech depeartment to see what they had to say. I am waiting to hear back from her.

It is good to know that if I go to pennsylvania looking for cemetarys and country clubs that I can use my navigation system. Since most of the places that I go are in arkansas, oklahoma and missouri I am not sure how valuable the maps will be.

Navteq told me to submit a request for them to look into it and that I might see the missing areas in a future update. I will wait and see what happens.

In response to the question "What is Arkansas" having lived near DC for several years I can answer what it is not. It is not waiting in a traffic jam for hours at a time. It is not a place with a high crime rate. It is not a place where the schools have metal detectors in the hallways. It is not a place where for $500,000.00 will only enable you to buy a small 2 bedrrom 1 bath fixer upper.
    "It is not a place where for $500,000.00 will only enable you to buy a small 2 bedrrom 1 bath fixer upper".

Where's that deal?? We are looking at tear-downs in our current and target neighborhoods that start at $750,000 for a 7,000-10,000 s.f. lot.! Fortunately, no metal detectors in our kids' school, no significant crime in our neighborhood and I don't have a daily rush hour commute, but your point is well taken. And a reason why we keep our second home in Pennsylvania.

Sorry to hear the run-around you are getting with the nav system. If you want to give me a street name / location to look up in mine, at least we can verify if your disk is missing data.
    Does anyone know anything about the porsche alarm?? I recently purchased a 2005 Boxster and it doesnt seem to have an alarm in the traditional sense (flashing lights, horn beeps, etc). The dealership said that Boxsters do not come equipped with such alarms and only come with the immobilizer. Is this true? And what about the flashing LED on the dash when the car is locked... only for deterrence purposes? :confuse:
    My 2000 Boxter runs well but i notice that the TEMP. gauge goes a bit over the half mark where usally cars are, but under the 250 mark.... THis occurs driving normally.....anyone else have the same temp reading???? please help thank you
  • swimfanswimfan Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input.

Another question--how about satellite radio installation in the Boxster? Has anyone done this? How--through the dealer, or third party installer? Where does the satellite antenna go? (A bit worried about how that would look.)
    I had XM Radio installed by a third party - individual recommended by my Porsche Dealer - in my 911. He used the "Commander" receiver that you can view on XM's website. It fit neatly in the slot at the bottom of the center console, which I think is there in the Boxster as well. The antenna is invisible, he ran it through the back of the console up to the inside of the headliner. There is nothing that mounts on the outside of the car. It also comes with a remote control, which my 7 year old has mastered from the back seat, so now I have to negotiate between my music and Radio Disney.

Overall, the look is very good, as I was very hesitant to mess up the look of the 911 interior. I have taken a digital photo, and am awaiting an e-mail reponse from Edmunds as to how to post it.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    posted for habitat1
  • newfrontiernewfrontier Member Posts: 36
    I am seeking to break out of the conservative sedan mode (currently a BMW 325xi - nice car, but not so exciting), and move into something more interesting (mid-life thing, I guess). I am considering the following: new 350Z, slightly used Boxster S or more used 911 cabrio. I live in the Philly area, and need to use the car as my every day driver. Any suggestions? Would any of these be better that the others in inclement (rain, light snow) weather? For a commute that is 30 miles of mixed highway/local roads? Any other cars that I should consider? Also thinking about a G35 coupe, but woud prefer to have a drop top. Any input (including if there is another forum that I should visit) would be welcomed. Thanks.
    Personally, I'd stay away from the 350Z. I am assuming you are considering the roadster version. All 350 Z's are overweight, of average interior quality, and unexciting to drive in my book. I had a 2002 Honda S2000 that was far better built, more tossable and precise handling and overall more fun to drive than the 1/3+ ton heavier 350Z. I'd actually recommend a G35 coupe over the 350 Z, as a coupe, the G35 is quite respectable. As a sports car, the 350 Z isn't, IMO.

Any of the cars you are considering - throw the S2000 in the mix as well - are not going to fare well in very cold rain, sleet or snow without snow tires and rims. I had no trouble driving the S2000 year round in DC on DRY roads, but one brief adventure on packed snow was all I needed to keep the car parked from then on.

I am very fond of the new Boxster S. The interior and engine upgrades for the 2005 model year are excellent. It would definitely be a more civilized daily ride than the S2000 and it's a car that is easy to drive. However, if you were looking at a pre-2005 Boxster S, I'd be tempted to get a new S2000. The 2005 Boxster imporvements are that good. So much so, that I'd probably even go for a 2005 base Boxster (240hp) over a 2003/4 Boxster S (258 hp). As far as an older 911 Cab, I guess it depends how old to get to your budget.

These are just my opinions and keep in mind that I've always had a backup car for the bad weather.
    Thanks very much for your response. As far as a backup, I do have one (a 2003 Frontier) for when things get bad. I was pegging the $35k-40k, so that's why I mentioned those particular cars. I don't know whether I could find an '05 Boxster for that price. For any of these cars, I would consider a set of winter tires. Does that change your view regarding rain and light snow? Also, a friend of mine has an S2000 (first year it was available). Nice car, but I find it very cramped, and in order to have any fun at all, it seems you have to have really drive it on the edge (8-9k on the tach). Also, I found the ride to be extremely stiff and jarring. Not really what I had in mind for commuting.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    “Also, I found the ride [S2000] to be extremely stiff and jarring. Not really what I had in mind for commuting.”

If that’s the case I think you will find the Boxsters “stiff and jarring” also. These are performance cars in terms of suspension and are nothing like the 325 you are coming from. But as far as room and storage the Boxster is the best among roadsters.

Considering your criteria I would suggest thinking this over because any roadster could wear you out very quickly as a daily driver. And yes, winter tires are in order. Driving with the OEM performance tires on frozen roads and white stuff is a death wish, but I would hope you already know this.

One more thing. The equanimity of the Boxster engines is much more suitable for daily driving than the S2000. However, the Boxster clutches have the bite of a Pit Bull compared with normal BMWs so this could wear on you also. And if you are thinking about the tiptronic, it also is not nearly as smooth as the BMW automatics.

Good luck. I am sure you will love the Boxster. The question is, can you love it every day?

;-)
    In 2004, the S2000 got a bump in displacement to 2.2 liters, so it has more torque at lower rpms and redlines at a more "tame" 8,200 rpm. So, although it may still be too edgy for your preferences, don't go strictly by the 2000 model. It didn't even have a glass rear window, which is an absolute must, IMO.

Designman makes some good points, but I found the 2005 Boxster S was a dream to drive with the 6-speed. I had driven a 2001 911 Turbo several months ago and it was a workout. My 2005 911 S is much more "user friendly", but the Boxster S was even more so. So given that subjective opinions can vary quite a bit, I suggest you test drive everything you are considering - a couple of times, if possible.

On the winter tires front - you may need to check out the availability for the various cars you are considering. The current S2000 uses 17" wheels with 215/50 and 245/45 series tires. Probably not too difficult to find winter tires that will fit. But the 2005 Boxster S comes with 18" wheels and 235/40 and 265/40 series tires. (My 911 S has 19" wheels and 235/35 and 295/30 series tires). I don't think there are many ultr low profile snow tires out there - and you may then need to budget for a winter set of wheels and tires, not just tires. The 2005 base Boxster comes sstandard with 205/55/17 and 235/50/17, so it's the easiest of the bunch to "winterize".

Your $40k top end budget may be hard to meet with a new leftover 2005 base Boxster. Check the Porsche web site for each dealer's inventory in your area. Some dealers list the MSRP's - you can figure on getting a 10-12% discount at this point, given 2006's have arrived. Demo's or low mileage used ones should go for even less, and be at or below $40k, reasonably equiped.
    Habitat1 and Designman, thanks again for your valuable comments. Just a few more questions, if you don't mind. I've heard that a set of golf clubs can fit in the trunk of a Boxster. Is that true? For 2003, '04 and '05? Also, is the cloth top fully lined? I'm trying to get a feel for the noise level at highway driving, and also how warm to expect the car to be in winter. I realize that these will all be compromises over my current 325 sedan, but nonetheless, as convertibles go, how's the Boxster fare in top-up comfort? As you can see, I am torn between wanting a flat out roadster and the compromises that I have to make as a daily commuter. If these cars tilt too far in the sports direction to make it as a daily driver, where should I be looking instead? I mentioned the G35 coupe in my earlier posting. Is that a good choice? What else could you suggest? Thanks again.
    My clubs in a medium size cart bag fit in the back trunk of the 2005 Boxster, although it was a little tighter than in the S2000 which has a deeper trunk. The rear trunk of the Boxster is shallow, but the additional front trunk is deep enough for a medium size suitcase or larger duffle bag. Given the two trunks of the Boxster, it has total capacity that's the best among roadsters.

I didn't drive the Boxster S with the top up, but I think it's constructed similarly to the 911 Cab. Which means that noise is quite moderate - I went back and forth from our second home in PA two weekends ago (800 miles roundtrip) without any noise discomfort. Heat shouldn't be a probelm at all - even my S2000 got warm quickly in the winter, and it's headliner was much thinner than the Porsches.

If I were buying a coupe, I'd have gone for a new M3. You ought to be able to pick up a 2003 or so used one for $40,000 or under. The G35 coupe is very nice, but not that much more exciting to drive than my 6-speed Acura TL. You may be burnt out on BMW's, but I still think the M3 is the best coupe out there.
  • qhoang1qhoang1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    I am looking for a weekend convertible, in a Harley-Davidson kind of way, and almost settled for a 2006 S2000 at ~$33K.
    I know that the 2005 Boxster invoice is ~ $38K, and could be had for that, if a car could be found.
    Does Porsche really make a base model, or they are all loaded with option?
    Can I get a base 2006 for ~$42K?
    I do not want to spend more for a car to be driven around 2K miles a year.
    I am in Portland, Oregon, but wiling to buy from the Seattle area.
    Badge is not a concern at all. In fact we are moving from two Mercedes sedans to some Japanese sedans. Exception can be made for German sport cars, however. :)
    Thank you for your guidance.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Does Porsche really make a base model, or they are all loaded with option?
    Can I get a base 2006 for ~$42K?

If I were to get a new Porsche I would also like to get a base model. The problem is that not many people are like you and me. Add this to the fact that options are a profit center and the answer is no, you can’t find a bare-bones Porsche in stock. This also means that you lose some of your negotiating power because you will have to order it. Considering this situation it might be wise to just find a good deal and accept a car with as few options as possible.

My 02 Boxster S has heated seats, windscreen, cruise control, PSM, none of which I use or want. I just check them occasionally to see if they are working while still under warranty. PSM was option for my year but it comes standard now—things are getting better. Oh and yes, don’t forget the extortion for the metallic paint—they got me on that one.

I saw a Boxster S in my dealer’s showroom a couple of weeks ago with a sticker of $68K. I said to myself wow, this ain’t me. At that price I had visions of ordering a base 06 Carrera, either red or yellow with beige interior, no options… I’m thinking write it up at $66K and I’ll do it right now, pal.

Funny you should mention $42K. To put things in perspective, that’s exactly what I paid for my car which stickered at $56.6. It was a leftover (way leftover) so if you can wait until the end of year, you just could find a deal that will suit you.

;-)
  • qhoang1qhoang1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello designman,

Thank you very much for your advice, I appreciate that greatly.
    It looks like we do think alike. I always want to buy the base car of the next level up, no matter which brand. People might think that I am crazy, but I am currently considering the base 06 MX5 Miata, the 06 S2000 (only one trim available), and the base Boxster.
    To me, they are all great, fun convertibles. :)
    Wow! $42K for a Boxster S, exceptional deal you did.
    Yes, Mercedes did do the metallic paint extortion to us also. What is wrong with these German car makers?
    I’m going to Sunset Imports in Beaverton, OR tomorrow.
    I hope I can leave with a new Boxster; if not, I might get a real motorcycle and use the rest of the money to upgrade my tube amp and electrostatic speakers. :D

Regards,
  • jhuttojhutto Member Posts: 4
    My 2002 Boxster's plastic rear window has developed a tiny crack. Other than for replacing the entire top ($$$) or living with the crack, what are my other options?
  • 1funwrx1funwrx Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a used 01 Boxster S since that is the one I can get for under 30K. I am though concerned about reliability and maintenance costs. Couple of questions;
    - How reliable are used Boxsters ?
    - Can someone give me a ballpark figure on the annual maintenance costs ?
    - Also there is an '01 Boxster S with 39K miles on offer for 28K, would you say thats a good deal ?
    - What would a good extended warranty cost ? I was originally considering the base 02 model but after reading posts here and other reviews I understand the the S is the Boxster to experience. Are there any pointers on what to check out for when shopping for used Boxsters ? I would really appreciate input from you guys. Thanks in advance.
  • powderanimalpowderanimal Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at used Boxsters and leaning toward the '03 to avoid a plastic back window. However, I'm been told it's only $400 to replace. Has anyone had it done? How much?
    thx,
    PA
  • yellowcaryellowcar Member Posts: 46
    Several threads raise questions of reliability, cost of ownership, ride quality, ...etc., so I thought I would share some of my experiences with long-term ownership of a Boxster.

I have a 2000 base model purchased new, now with 72k miles on the clock - it is a daily driver in every sense of the word! This is my 3rd Porsche in 20 years, with two 944's previously. All have been my daily drivers.

After some serious surgery on my arm, and upon advice of my surgeon AND my wife, this car was ordered with the Tip transmission. Yes, at $3,400 it is not cheap but it is a great tranny. Not as visceral as a manual, but shifts in 0.4 sec. are a blast. I drive it in manual about 30% of the time. Not one problem with the Tip!

If cost of ownership is a deciding factor, buy a Nissan product. A timing chain (not a belt) on the V6's since the early 90's. Except for new CV boots at about 50k, our '96 Maxima SE has required only scheduled maint. since purchased new. A '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe arrived home this week to replace the Maxima as my wife's ride.

On the Boxster, look for up to 30-35k miles on front tires and 25-30k miles on the rears, depending on driving habits, roads, etc. Most of my miles are Dallas-area freeways. I have 17" wheels, the ride is firm but not punishing. With 18's it will probably be harsh and worse! Replacement tires will be probably be more frequent and more expensive.

Brake rotors are treated as a consumable, will require replacement at the same time as the pads. I got about 40k miles out of the fronts and 65k from the rears. These numbers were considered exceptional, I am very easy on brakes. Costs will be about $450 per axle.

Your dealer will probably recommend oil changes at 7,500k, expect a cost of about $125-150. My 60k service was about $1,100 (new timing belt), check with your dealer on the cost of the 30k major service intervals.

Only two unscheduled major service outages. At about 55k miles at (and out of warranty), a water leak was diagnosed as a failing water pump. Porsche said it was a premature failure, picked up 75% of the total bill without my asking for consideration. Awesome!!! Last week a "check engine" light was diagnosed as a mass airflow sensor failure, the bill was about $600.

I get 22 MPG consistently and I tend to drive fast (but not stupid - no citations), with 26 MPG on road trips.

All in all, I continue to be a "Porsche Guy" because the cars are built to be driven hard and enjoyed for their performance qualities and reliability!
    Thanks for your post. Even though I went with a 997, I found your long term experience interesting reading.

I assume with your name that it's a Speed Yellow? That's my only regret in taking an in stock 2005 Seal Grey. :cry:
    Speed Yellow it is!!! ;)

The predecessors were Guards Red (new) and Cobalt Blue (used).

Last week while in for service, I was provided with a Silver '06 Boxster loaner. What a kick!!!
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    Where there any "symptoms" with the malfunctioning MAF? Or was it just the cel? I am a nervous new owner of an '04, and a recent cel display has me feeling dread. I am hoping it is emissions related. It does have 30k on the clock.
    Just the CEL, no misbehavior. An '04 with 30k miles should still be under warranty, I don't understand your sense of dread. My service advisor said that if left unattended the MAF failure had the potential to cascade into more serious issues. 'Nuff said?
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I am just a little disappointed that an expensive and well-maintained vehicle already has malfunctions at 30k. I expect this from my commuter car, not my fun car. I understand it is under warranty, and it will go in straight away. It is a bit of a hassle taking it in, getting diagnosed, repairing, etc... The customer service is quite impressive, but I have better things to be doing.
  • gem76gem76 Member Posts: 1
    I am selling my 2000S, 48,000 miles. I have an extended warranty and 3000 miles ago the engine seal leaked, radiator/oil mix. My warranty, less $100 deductible, paid for a NEW "S" engine, installed by a Porsche dealer. The total bill was $12,500. My question is trying to sell it used how much do I add for it? The car is in awesome shape, 18" wheels, premium sound, power package, so I think engine issue aside, 29K? What is the transferable warranty, and a new engine (with papers) worth? What would you pay extra?
    So did you get a brand new 280 hp Boxster S engine installed in your 2000 Boxster S? If so, what company was your extended warranty through? I might want to consider them for my 911.

As far as what your car is worth - that's a tough question. The $29k figure you threw out appears to be the high range of dealer retail for a very clean car. I doubt the new engine would add a big amount to that, since it is still a 6 year old car. But it should be a nice selling point, especially if it's now 30 hp more powerful.
  • fastalfastal Member Posts: 3
    Hi, YellowCar:
    I have long been a fan of Porsche, finally got to buy a 1997 Boxster with only 28,000 miles. I have named it after my dad who past on the day after I bought the car, that's where the name 'Al' in FastAl comes from.

I am ready to take Albert in for a 30,000 service. What is your advice on wheather I should take it to a dealer or a Porsche specialist who is not a dealer?
    The service price is about $700 more at the dealer. This is assuming that Albert doesn't need any other repair or replacements of parts, just oil change. Please advise. :blush:
  • fastalfastal Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I have a 97 hardtop. It's great. I love it. I think it's totally worth the money.
  • dahlemddahlemd Member Posts: 7
    Gem76,

From which company did you purchase your extended warranty? Or was it the certified preowned warranty from Porsche? If it was the third party warranty, did you have any problems having repairs covered?
    Glad your dream finally came true! As part of your decision process, consider this question: when was the last time this car was seen by a factory trained service tech? I think your car came with a 24-month warranty, so is it possible it has not been back to a dealership for 5 or 6 years?

My personal preference is to stick with my dealer for a variety of reasons, in no particular order:

Loyalty/Relationship - recall my comments on the water pump? I doubt an independent would/could have pulled this off. I have dealt with the same service advisor for 4 years.

Training - the service advisors and techs are factory certified. They will also look for items that need attention that I may not have identified. I am not looking to cut corners on a car I will own a long time.

Convenience - my dealership is reasonably close to home and I always get a late-model loaner, usually a new VW Passat. No hassles with arranging a ride to/from work. Hours are 7:00 to 7:00. Scheduling the appointment is never an issue.

Cost - This will be on a case-by-case basis. When I needed rear brakes, a highly regarded independent in Dallas was just as expensive as my dealer, and no loan car. Yes, I considered this route just as you are. Discount coupons from my dealer arrive in the mail every so often, usually 15% on parts and/or service.

Parts - usually on-hand, no delays in job turnaround.

Enjoy the ride!!! I hope you are in an area with a lot of top-down opportunities.
    I wanted to post more on what I have found out about my 2005 Boxster Navigation system. If your Boxster is a late model 2005 or 2006 you will have a different navigation system. This system will have a different DVD software system and will have a much more inclusive map database. The one on my early 05 has software that comes directly from NAVTEQ and is sadly lacking in completeness. After some conversations with my Dealership and following their advice and calling NAVTEQ I finally called Porsche directly and tried to talk to my Manafuacturers Rep for this area. I was told they had no way to get hold of him and I could not talk to him. I finally convinced them to take my number and have him call me. A few days after this conversation I recieved a call from my dealership service manager who had the Manufacturers Rep in his office. The information they gave me was 1. The later model system was a different system and the DVD from it would not work in the earlier one. 2. The manufacturers rep was not sure if the later hardware was compatible with the earlier 05 wireing. I am still waiting for them to research this. 3. They are trying to find out when the maps with the earlier version are going to be updated. (It is interesting that they have to find out when the earlier maps are going to be updated. The maps with the late model 2005 and 2006 are also from NAVTEQ but are more complete.)I would advise anyone looking at buying a new 2005 boxster with the navigation system to investigate further. If the DVD has to be mailed to you from NAVTEQ after you purchased the car it is the earlier model verstion. If the map is available with the car when you purchase it, it is the later version. If it is the earlier version, Unless you live near a major metropolitan area, you might or might not have maps of the region around where you live. (see my earlier post.) This is an expensive option for something you cannot have any trust to perform when you need it.
    My 2000 boxter has been great so far.. but i noticed even after i put the 2005 model coolent system in.. the temp gauge reading is still going past the midpoint.. is this normal???? i live in California, but the weather has cooled, yet still it goes above the midpt...i asked the dealer but got no exact answer back.. they said that as long as it doesn't go past the 250 point im ok... but i just want to make sure every else see's the same temp reading. PLUS i notice that when i drive sometimes and pick up speed i smell a faint metal burning smell?? is that normal sinse its a mid engine car and the engine is right in back?? PLEase HELP thank you
  • pshwetspshwets Member Posts: 1
    I've driven the new boxster and I am completely sold. My only problem is the disparity in the Canadian vs. US pricing. Are their any Canadians out there that have recently purchased a new porsche stateside and brought the car into Canada? My canadian dealership wasn't very warm to the idea of servicing an American boxster.