Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Boxster and Boxster S

Comments

• spenchelspenchel Member Posts: 3
    It is standard Mobile 1. I just called it break-in oil because it's the original oil and I'm breaking in the engine. Sorry about the confusion.
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    tomk17, could you tell me which dealership offered you the 05 Boxster for $39,995? Was this a leftover or a used car? And was it the same dealer or a different one that offered $39,600 for the other 05?

Thanks -- I'm looking for a good dealership in the New England area...
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    The Boxster S just continues to score points all over the place and has been doing so since it first came along in 2000. Sounds like the M Z4 brings good things to the table but the Porsche usually takes the cake despite eternal yearnings for more power. It’s all in the total package.
    Dave, as you probably know, this is the worst time of the year for roadster buying where price is concerned. Porsche has been discounting Boxsters heavily for over two years now but they’ll exploit the Spring/Summer lust. IMO the car you mentioned should be good for at least $10K off MSRP.

If you need more power the Boxster S is your ticket with 40 hp more. All non-turbo Porsches exhibit the same power-band characteristics. They are anemic until getting past 4K RPM at which point it kind of feels like it kicks into a downshift. The 986 S used to have a different, stiffer suspension than the non-S but they are now the same on the 987 versions.
    An occasional puff of smoke at startup is common on all Porsches and cars with flat engines. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not depending on piston position when stopped and position of the car when parked. I’ve heard it is attributed to minor oil seepage past the rings and/or valve guides. However, the situation you describe sounds extreme. Look into having the oil/air separator replaced. I don’t know how much it costs and I’m not a gearhead. I am just relaying info I read in other forums so take it with a grain of salt and have it verified by a wrench who knows specifically Porsches, not someone with a foreign-car shingle even though he could be correct about a valve problem. BTW, I’ve also heard that some Porsche dealers start the cars in the morning specifically to clear the potential puff so customers don’t see it.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Thanks designman. I'm really conflicted: Roadster or vert? Boxster or z4? Base vs S boxster? It'd be easier if i had space and money for 4-5 great cars, but i don't. ;)

In any case, 10K off is impressive, and knocks the 'vette off my list as a bang-for-the-buck option. I like the boxster better, and if i can wait until it's cold and get it for the same price...

dave
  • tomk17tomk17 Member Posts: 135
    The $39,995 car was a new 05 and in Jan 06 Inskip Porsche in Warwick RI offered me the good deal. It was a loss for them for sure but they wanted a new customer and to move the car. Actually I had a choice of 2. Herb Chambers Porsche in Boston was the other. I just saw the new car add for $39,600. These are kinda typical "winter" convertible deals I guess.
  • dtran2149dtran2149 Member Posts: 81
    Speaking from the DFW area, I have seen 05 Porsches (demo's) listed at the $39.9 K price point periodically- mostly at Park Place which is a large dealer in Dallas/Houston. I know it's not in the NE, but transport fees are not too bad if you can get $1-2 K negotiated off that price.
  • boba2boba2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply designman. It is extreme and I will pass along your info to my mechanic. By the way I appreciate your concern for using the "right" mechanic. I'm Ok with my current one. I've known him for a while and he is compentent and honest. I've also found out that the problem could be fuel related. The use of certain mixes from the different gas distributors could have an effect. Too save a few bucks I started using 91 octane gas a little while ago. That along with additives such as MTBE could "glaze" the plugs and cause an initial burn of smoke. Does this sound reasonable to you? The cure would be to change the plugs, go back to only 93 Octane and occasionally use a Techron type fuel additive. Thanks in advance.
    Bob
  • mathodamathoda Member Posts: 6
    Greetings all,

I'm new to this forum...I am about to pick up a Porsche Boxter Type S...2004 model with 14,000 miles on it. Its a beauty except it was hit in the rear in a 4 car pile up on the highway and insurance picked up the cost of a new bumper & spoiler.

My question is: if the car's spoiler needed to be replaced then should I expect that car to have been hit with enough force to materially impact the car? I'm thinking of buying this car and there's many other options...hence please advice how I should read this situation. Is this car hit hard enough for me to avoid it?

thank you in advance for your thoughts...

Regards.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'd ask for a full report (i.e. receipt) on the repairs as done by the repair facility. Get the insurance receipt as well, if available. That should tell you exactly what was done and whether it was all cosmetic or potentially more serious.

I take it that you are aware that the 2005 Boxter S was a significant upgrade from the 2004? More horsepower, substantially upgraded interior, revised exterior styling, etc. Factor that in as well when you are evaluating the price of this 2004 - you should be getting a substantial discount compared to a similar mileage/condition 2005.
    thank you for the reply. I was not aware of the upgrades for 2005. I'll definitely be looking closely at the paperwork from the accident (insurance, and body shop) and also talking to the body shop owner.

Regards.
  • boxsterrookieboxsterrookie Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out what fixed it? I have the same problem and the check engine light is on. I have read it maybe the oil separator. Anyone know how difficult it is to remove and how to do it.

• yellowcaryellowcar Member Posts: 46
    You may have two problems now: the AOS (air / oil separator) and the MAF (mass airflow sensor). The MAF will get you a CEL (check engine light).

I have had both, but at different times: 1st the AOS, later the MAF. A problem with the AOS can lead to a failure in the MAF.

As to easy or difficult, it depends on your mechanical skills. I don't have the knowledge and stuck with my dealer. The AOS was replaced as a warranty item on my 2000 base model.

Check Porsche Pete's Boxster Board, you can probably locate how-to-do-it threads on both topics.

http://www.ppbb.com/board/986board.htm
    If i do spring for a boxster, i will want to drive it as often as possible. That's the point, isn't it? :)

Have people on here have experience with the boxster in the snow, with snow tires of course? I assume the rearward weight bias would keep the tires more firmly planted, and the PASM would keep the car in line, but it would be nice to hear some real world experience. Of course ground clearance may be an issue, but assume i will be on plowed roads and slickness will be the problem. Has anyone compared it to, say, a z4 in this regard?

How have people found the storage space in real life? Will i be able to go to trader joe's and get 4 bags of groceries, maybe making a pitstop at whole foods?

How livable is the boxster for road trips? I regularly make 600 mile drives to visit the family, and over the summer I may drive from chicago to yellowstone, winding through colorado and stopping at wall drug on the way back.

dave
  • redsoxgirlredsoxgirl Member Posts: 67
    I have a 2003 Boxster S that is coming off lease this fall. I moved to Boston from Raleigh about 6 months ago and "survived" the mild Boston winter without snow tires.

I am strongly leaning towards buying a sport sedan in lieu of another sports car this fall. Unfortunately, although I had a beater sedan in Raleigh, I can't justify parking for two cars in my condo building (an extra space is $65,000 to purchase or $300 per month to rent). Could you survive in Chicago with only a Boxster and extra set of winter tires? I think so. But be prepared to get a few more paint nicks from the sloppy winter slush.

The Boxster is the king of cargo when compared to other roadsters. The rear trunk holds a full set of golf clubs and a few other items. The front trunk will hold your Trader Joe groceries and then some. Home Depot for a gas grill would be a problem, but that's what friends with SUV's are for. :D

By the time I turn in my 2003, I will have around 45,000 miles on the odometer. And I travel (fly) for work at least 80 days a year. I did several 200 to 300 mile each way trips without any problems. The new Boxster seems to have an even better headliner / top for sound insulation.

So, yes, the Boxster is a great daily driver. No offense to BMW owners, as I really like the M3, but the Z4 is just no comparison to the Boxster, in my opinion.
    I'm with you on the condo parking. One of the reasons i'm leery is that i have to use a lot as well, and people door me already.

If you survived winter on sports, i am sure winters will work fine. And my girlfriend would giggle with glee if i had to ask her for "truck help."

Thanks for the help!
    I'm looking to purchase a Boxter S, I'm thinking of offering $35,000 for it. But I would love some advice on whether I'm over paying for a private party sale.

--2004 Boxter S
    --14,000 miles (approx)
    --Regular everything that comes with a Boxter S (no extras)
    --looks & feels new

BUT
    --was hit in the rear 6 months ago and the rear bumper & side panel were changed. I spoke to the body shop and he confirmed what the owner told me. The hit only impacted the 'skin'...no impact on the mechanics etc.

If I do buy it I will take it to a mechanic of my choice and have it inspected carefully. However, I have seen all the receipts (as a gentleman advised) from both the insurance company and the body shop...and indeed there were no surprises. But the question is still in the back of my mind whether I should avoid this car cos' of the hit, however minor it might have been :confuse:

My question: is the price right? It feels like I'm underpaying if anything...I'm out in Norther California (silicon valley).

Thanks in advance for sharing you thoughts with me!

Regards.
  • rlm75093rlm75093 Member Posts: 5
    I paid $38,000 for my 2004 Boxster (in May 2005) with 4614 miles on it, from a Dallas dealer. Upgrades were the color crested emblem on the 18" rims, silver metallic paint, xenon self leveling headlights, power seat package, windstop, the Bose stereo with sub-woofer, a Boxster car cover, two Porsche hats and two t-shirts.
    Nice extras! I wonder what the differential should be given the fact that the one I'm looking at it a Boxter S. Plus I'm buying from a Private Party!
    My 2004 Boxster had a list price of $53,300 (I paid $38k with 4,600 mi in May 2005). So relatively speaking, $35,000 for a Boxster S with 14k, sounds reasonable. If I sold mine, I'd be asking more than $35k. I've seen the 2004 S with 7k - 9k miles go for $44,000 - $47,900 (dealer's asking price).
    rlm
    thanks for the input. I ended up making the offer at 35k, and it was accepted.

now its all about porsche financial svc's speed of mailing back the title. I can't wait!!!
    Hi,

The Boxter S I'm picking up has a stereo thats more annoying than it is musical! Ofcourse I'm not complaining cos all I care about is the ride..which is fantastic!

However, I'd really appreciate advice/input on how/where to go about an aftermarket stereo installation. I have heard horror stories where Porsche's have refused to start because the 'custom wiring' in the car was altered. I'm not sure how valid that story is...but I thought it was prudent to check with others who have had experience.

I expect to have to install..
    1) New Stereo
    2) New Speakers

I'm based out in San Jose/Cupertino California.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!
    What is anyone's experience with the tread life for the factory tires on the Porsche Boxster? I have the Michelin Pilot Sport (Z rated - 18in) tires with 12,000 miles on them. How many miles can I expect on these tires?
    Thanks.
    rlm
  • luckynhappyluckynhappy Member Posts: 7
    After many months of considering alternatives, I test drove a Boxster last weekend and that decided it for me. Saw this forum only today and having checked out the TMV for a Boxster with Bose sound and a couple of other minor options (invoice $44K, MSRP $51K) am looking for the best way to get as close to invoice as possible. I see from previous postings that the DC area is considered pricey and Edmunds suggests that typical price in this area for that package is 49K. Any suggestions on what radius I should be considering when contacting dealers? A local dealer suggested 2.5 k over invoice - is that as good as I can expect at this time of year? Any and all advice appreciated.
    If you haven't already done so, go to the Porsche website and hit "find a dealer". Porsche, put in zip codes for Maryland, VA, and Pa to start. You used to be able to put in one DC area zip code and specify 300 mile radius and it would search across state lines. Now I think you have to search state by state.

In any event, look at each dealer's Boxster inventory and see if you find cars that are your color and option preferences. Then see what they will give you, deal wise. Some of the local dealerships start high, but will come down once they figure out you aren't stupid.

When I bought my 911 Cab last September, the 4 immediate DC area dealers were not discounting much at all because of limited supply. But they were more price flexible on the Boxster S I was considering and would match the distant dealers prices when pushed. I ended up buying our 911 in Hunt Valley and will likely take my car for future service to Rockville. There does not appear to be any adverse consequence of buying from a distant dealer and taking it locally for service, although I probably wouldn't do that for less than a $500-$1,000 savings. Mine was $4,000+
    Thanks for the good advice. I did do that today before I saw your message and have contacted a number of dealers who had the colors I was interested in in their inventory. Will report back on how it all works out.
  • quincymaquincyma Member Posts: 1
    It's an incredible daily driver, both for road trips and around town. I'm amazed by what goes in the trunks (a vacuum cleaner, two roller suitcases with room for two more duffle bags...), and in a pinch, I've even brought home a large sub woofer by putting it on the passenger seat.... Whether I drive 5 miles or 500, I never fail to get out of the car with a smile.

On the other hand, it sucks in winter, and I don't see any way around that. On my first Boxster I sprung for a set of down-sized wheels and snow tires. But I can't count how many times I had to be pushed out of a parking space because the car can't get traction on icy surfaces here in Boston. (Snow isn't the problem.) This isn't a 911 with the engine over the rear axle; when I had my RWD 911, I'd take it anywhere, anytime on its all-season tires.

Again, it's the best car I've ever owned. I just leave it in the garage when it's slippery outside.
  • himilesboxsterhimilesboxster Member Posts: 2
    My 98 Boxster has 200,000 miles on it and is providing my mechanic with first-time ever problems at the dealership. Currently we are working on an engine squeal that stops briefly only when travelling uphill or if I hit the accellerator. The mechanic has replaced the air conditioner compressor and, what do you know, the squeal's still there. Would appreciate any suggestions from Boxster owners with high mileage vehicles.
    Sounds like a simple belt. You win the gold medal for mileage and I am encouraged. I haven't heard of anyone close to that number.
    Does anybody have any idea on whether there will be any major changes in the 2007 models? I have heard that the Boxster and the new cayman will have a 245 hp engine while the Boxster S and Cayman S will share the 300 hp Cayman engine. No info on pricing changes relative to 2006. Tire pressure monitor will be standard on the 2006s.

Welcome any news if you have heard something specific. Am considering whether to buy 2006 or order 2007.
    Having the same engines seems like right thing to do, but where did you get your info? I wouldn’t be surprised at a slight hp boost for Cayman S considering what BMW is putting out. If so, that would probably mean the 911s will get a modest boost too.
  • porsche334porsche334 Member Posts: 4
    I know someone who works for Porsche. The 911 is not getting a hp boost.
  • phillman98phillman98 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 porsche boxster. Is anyone selling the black windscreen insert for the passenger side?

thanks.

paul
  • phillman98phillman98 Member Posts: 3
    does anyone also have problems of the carpet getting wet behind the seats of their boxster after a rain? If so, how can one rectify the situation. the dealership said most likely that the drain tubes (inside the top mechanism) are plugged. does anyone have experience with this and can help me on where to look to unplug my drain tubes?

thanks.

paul
    My understanding is that the vehicle needs to be on a lift - the drain tubes are accessible from underneath the vehicle.

That very issue is why my dealer suggests an oil change once or twice a year on my 911 Cab, even though the interval has been raised to 20,000 miles. They do a complete inspection. Apparantly, leaves and other debris get into the drain tubes and can cause $1,000's in damage to the top mechanism, etc. NOT covered by warranty.
    I got my info on 07 models from talking to dealers about the 06 vs 07 choice.

On the Mckenna dealer discounts, thanks for the info porsche334. But does that size of discount not take the price below dealer invoice? Using Edmunds, I figure the main difference between MSRP and invoice is due to the base price difference of about $ 6 k. Options add very little margin - no more than $ 0.5 K. So a 7.5 k discount would suggest that the manufacturer must be taking some of the hit.

I;ve been able to get a discount offer of 5 k off the MSRP on the East coast and if I figure in the cost of transporting the car to where I live that might still make it marginally attractive to contact Mckenna. They sure seem to be overstocked with Tiptronics.

Two other questions - I guess if you order a 07, is it reasonable to get discounts off the MSRP and if so, how much is reasonable? Welcome advice.

Second, should I consider a Tiptronic? A friend of mine says it is very useful in commuting situations with traffic and that I should get it.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    Get a stick. You won't regret it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• duettoduetto Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning on buying a 2006 Boxster, but want to have it built to my specifications. Can anyone answer these questions:
    1. Will it cost more rather than buying one from a dealer's inventory?
    2. If so, about how much? The MRSP is $51,428 and invoice is $46,269.
    3. I'm thinking that I can get a better deal near the end of the model year so what is about the latest date that I can order a 2006?
    luckynhappy,

Last summer, starting around this time, I was able to get quotes of around $6,000+ off on a well equiped 2005 Boxster S from dealers in the greater DC region (200 miles). By the time August rolled around, I was negotiating $7,000 off on a Boxster S from three dealers that had ones in stock that matched my specs. I strongly suspect you would be able to do that good this year.

Tiptronic - NO, NO, NO!. You will diminish the performance of a Boxster S down to a Boxster and the Boxster down to a Miata. Well, perhaps the last one is an exaggeration, but the first one isn't.

My wife and I are approaching 50, live in DC and the ONLY automatic either of us has ever owned is our MDX. Had it been available with a 6-speed similar to our TL, we would have paid $1,000 extra for it. That's just us. But getting a sports car like the Boxster and then castrating it with a not particularly good slushbox tiptronic is, in my opinion, completely counterproductive. Want an easy commuting car, get a Prius. Want a fun to drive car, get a Boxster with a real manual transmission. And give your friend some Prozac. His bi-polar disorder is acting up.

P.S. Before any tiptronic fans suggest that the new 911 Turbo's is actually quicker than the stick, it is a completely different system than the tiptronic found in the Boxsters and regular 911's. And from a good friend who has driven both in Germany, he will still get the 6-speed for control and overall performance. The excitement of the "launch" capability of the Turbo Tip will wear off after 2-3 stoplights. After which it tries to shift into a higher gear too soon.
    Duetto:

Too late for 2006 is what I was told. If you order now, the factory will build it as a 2007. The earliest you could take delivery is likely to be in September.

I would guess that a build to order will not get anything like a discount on an in-stock 2006 Boxster which the earlier thread of emails indicates would be between $ 5-7 K. Having said that I too am curious as to what one could expect as a discount off MSRP on the 2007 order. Would the arrival of the BMW M roadster put some pressure on 2007 pricing either in the MSRP or in terms of a discount? Hope somebody can throw some light on this.

Since there is little difference between the 2006-2007 in terms of features and performance, I intend to go for a 2006 within the next couple of weeks but I remain curious about the order question.
    Habitat1:

Thanks once again for your good and comprehensive advice. I will, as you suggest, prescribe Prozac for my friend and go with the manual transmission.

Main options that I want are the Bose Sound system and the xenon lights. Anything else you would recommend before I take the plunge?
    As 911 forum visitors know, I am a big advocate of the sport chrono package. Not for the chrono part, but for the sport part. It increases the throttle response and makes the car feel quicker, although Porsche claims no "official" hp or performance gain. At a minimum, I suggest you try a Boxster equiped with it, and decide for yourself.

Regarding Bose, it is a common (and rather expensive) option. But the system in my 911 still isn't that great. I think the standard system in the 911 would be adequate, but I haven't heard the standard system in the Boxster. You might want to check out both before automatically going with the Bose. At the price Porsche is charging, I think they may be milking the name more than the improved sound warrants.

Xenons are definitely worth it, IMO. Power memory seats and mirrors might be worth it if you have a significant other that will be driving the car. The Boxster S I was considering came with the PASM and 19" Carrera S wheels. Both are nice options, but if you are on a budget, I'd forget them in favor of the Sport Chrono. I think you'll notice more of a performance difference from that $920 option than either of the more expensive other two.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • porsche334porsche334 Member Posts: 4
    luckynhappy,

Being that my thread was deleted I am not sure exactly what I can actually say. I am assuming the dealer is just motivated to move inventory therefore if they take a hit then that is a hit they are willing to take. If you sit down with a salesperson and actually order your car to your specifications than I think a $2000.00 discount would be generous. Tip or stick, it's just going to be personal preference. I prefer the stick. Hope this helps.
  • duettoduetto Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, luckynhappy. Your info and insights are helpful. I guess I'd better start looking at the California dealer inventories soon. This brings up another question: how many (maximum) miles on the odometer would be expected for a brand new (not a demo) car? I'm thinking less than 10-20.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview Porsche owners who would like to talk about their satisfaction with the brand. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday June 20, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information with the make and model Porsche you own.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national newspaper is looking to interview Porsche owners who would like to talk about their satisfaction with the brand. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday June 20, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information with the make and model Porsche you own.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Duetto:

Correct. The one I am considering has 17 miles.

Not really sure how dealers manage this problem. Every prospective buyer probably wants to take a new car for a spin and that could add up pretty quickly. Do they always use a demo car for the test drives?

At any rate, you want something that is new if you paying for a new car. So 10-20 seems right to me.
  • crbecrbe Member Posts: 3
    I live in California and am thinking about purchasing a Boxster in another state. Are all Boxster's certified for California also? Thanks.
  • himilesboxsterhimilesboxster Member Posts: 2
    Finally discovered the problem of the really loud engine squeal. The air oil separator at base on engine was collapsing the breather hose when a strong vacuum was applied...the air oil separator was replaced. No more problems.