Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Good, Bad or Ugly - Current and Future styling trends of BMW

Comments

• 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    While I do not like the new design philosophy, two things to keep in mind. People I know in there 20's like the new 5 series and the low beltline dating back to the 1600s and early CSi Coupes was cutting edge for the 60s.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Some people that I know that formerly were not thrilled with the "old" conservative styles are liking the new looks. They seem to have attracted a whole new audience. While the old looks were handsome and classic, the new look is smartly designed and positioned to move the company forward.
    I'm sure they will sell more cars. I'm not sure it is a move forward. As I've tried to say before, expanding volume in a mature market may weaken the brand.
    If the market were mature, every manufacturer wouldn't be trying to produce cars that have what BMW cars have. Legendary handling and good styling. Let the Japanese manufactures put the wizmos in the cars. I don't need stuff like self-start. People that buy Lexus or Acura want self start.

BMW is a niche player attempting to move forward. Not moving forward is not the same as holding ones ground, it's more like sliding backward.
    The North American market has not grown for years. Other manufacturers attempt to convince you they have BMW traits. In total, there are always compromises.

Expanding market here means either becoming Lexus-like to satisfy demand or marketing BMW strengths to create demand. The first is quicker, the second takes time.

I agree you cannot stand still. You either progress or regress. BMWs position is more precarious on this tight rope because they market experience(which requires some semblance of exclusivity.)instead of price or service.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    is the x3 by far :(
    I don't think I agree. What they market is they drive like no other, they are extremely handsome cars, fit and finish are beyond reproach. This is true in all models except for the X3 - which IMO they did a good thing with the design. People can treat it like a truck and not worry.

While the Japanese focus and have focused on wizmos, BMW earns it's living by focusing on driving. There is no wrong side of this. Personally I hate cars with a zillion widgets, more to break in the long run.
    Their experience is "driving like no other". I'm afraid their emphasis is or will shift from driving to wizmos because their increase in volume will outrun the market for "Ultimate Driving Machines". Of course, BMW may redefine "Ultimate Driving Machine" from road worthiness criteria to 1000 watt stereos and plush interiors.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    The half-baked 3 and facelifted 7 is a blatant admission that they blew the styling. We have to endure one more abomination—the 1—then hopefully a return to styling sobriety.
    You think so? I happen to like it. I hope they never return to the old "dated" classic styling. It's a classic let it remain that way.

The thing they need to remember is to provide a smooth creamy engine, power on tap anywhere in the band, and gobs of hp and torque, meaty/beefy steering and a car that inspires you to drive. Not to be afraid of it.
    You're funny... as tenacious as I am.

"I hope they never return to the old "dated" classic styling."

If they do, I have no doubt that you will be defending it.

:-)
    They won't so I won't have to worry. ;)
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The BMW X3 isn't made at a BMW factory. It is made by a Magna Steyr in Austria.

second generation M5

The BMW 850CSi, based on the 8 series which didn't sell well due to the economy, high price tag, and 'only' 300 hp (early 850i), looks better than the new 6 series.

new 6 series

new M6

This green Z4 is a factory BMW color which is called "Urban Green." They no longer offer it.

I would imagine that the wheels shown on this revised 7 series would be difficult to clean.

from Wagner, Rob L. "Classic Cars" page 89:

"The Rolls-Royce was not a particularly stylish car, reflecting the image of a conservative, well-mannered Englishman. And Rolls-Royce management disaproved of ostentatious designs by zealous coach builders."

I'm not too sure about the grille of the new Rolls-Royce Phantom.

It was ahead of it's time, but now it just sunk to the level of a classic. Funny thing is, I still see some on the road. However, prefer the stunning looks of the new 6.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    im on my own side in this case, i like the previous designs, graceful, muscular, but still classy and elegant.
    the current bmws are entirely different animals though, imo: more on the agressive and sporty side. they maybe not handsome, but still cool
    both are cool in their own ways, mostly...

i do however make an exception for the x3, bad design inside out, overly firm ride for a bmw, and low grade materials.
    as for the old design, id say the facelifted 3er hatchback (e46) is the worst, just look at the dorky front end, ugh...
  • purplem46purplem46 Member Posts: 54
    I have owned a 1997 2.8 Z3 and a 2002 E46 M3 Coupe. Both had styling that had a hard to define sexiness quality. I was recently in the market for a larger car, and really wanted to take a serious look at the BMW 545. I just couldn't do it. The front looks like a pontiac with squinty asian eyes, and the rear, oh my, the rear. I don't buy cars just for looks, but I'm not ready to throw down big bucks for ugly either.

This has probably been mentioned, but the new style seems to grow on more people that have never owned the older styles. Veterans seem the most disturbed about the whole thing. Again... beauty is a subjective thing, they sure sold more Aztecs than I would have guessed.
  • big_jimbig_jim Member Posts: 27
    I would agree. I have been reading and asking questions for some time now, and think you nailed it. Many of the BMW vets seem to hate the new styling, while us "new guys" seem to be quite smitten with it. In fact, I will go one step further and say that I think some of the *older* BMW's look very boxy and unattractive. Just to me, of course. However I am quite sure they are a blast to drive. But to be fair, most older cars do look dated to me (save for corvette's, old mustangs, etc.) But that's the way it goes, when you have a long love affair with a brand, you have a different perspective. My love affair is more recent. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and I thought enough of the new e60 to drop down a sizeable chunk of change to buy one.
    April 11 Advertising Age, pS-4; ...what makes a BMW a BMW? "BMW is the advocate for the driver. Our cars welcome drivers and passengers alike, but every important decision, function and level of equipment is based on: If the driver were making this decision himself or herself, what decision would they make?"

James McDowell, former VP marketing, BMW of North america now taking over Mini

Former is the key word.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    Your point is well taken, but I never looked twice at BMWs (not appealing to me) until recently...and then I realized that I love the e39 5 series. Also the 3 series (e46). But I don't love the new ones at all and I hope they tone down the next incarnation or I'll be driving my 02 530 forever.
    Here is a BMW Z4 in Urban Green. They no longer offer it.

I think the M6 looks too bulky.

The Z4 itself I like very much. The color...what were they thinking?

The 645ci...gimme, gimme, gimme.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'm probably the only person on the board that thinks BMW nailed it with the Z4's styling. Its the classic sports car layout and correctly proportioned imo. Looks vicious on the road.

M
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    You are not the only one on the board that thinks so!

José
    Definitely not the only person. :)
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Okay. So now we know there are three of you.
    Three that do and one that doesn't. Not a bad ratio, or if one includes designman, three to two. We win.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Umm.... looks like a tie..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

"if one includes designman"

Sheese, the nerve of you! :confuse:
    hasn't aged well
    No. It hasn't aged at all. The design is still fresh and stunning. ;)
    Reminds me of two things:

1 - a rickshaw
    2 - a twizzler

PS - I still haven't done my review of the 6 yet. I promise, it will be worth reading.

;)
    As a primer let me say this. The butt of the M6 as pictured above looks like a dental patient with laughing-gas mask and implements hanging out of his mouth.
    You're definitely in the minority on this one.

The M6 is a stunning, gorgeous car as is the Z4 in a different way.

The end of the year will be the tell all for BMW.

But keep up with the funny analogies, I enjoy reading them.

I guess as a PS I have to say, I'm happy you're not in charge of design at BMW. :P
    Many people dislike the new BMWs.

The Z4 does not look good with all of those creases and angels. I can hardly believe that BMW offered this color on the Z4 when it was introduced. It is called "Urban Green."

The trunk of the new BMW 6 series is far from gorgeous.

A truly beautiful new car would be the Aston Martin DB9. Its styling does not need "flame surfacing" to describe it.

• mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    Motor Trend and many others are cheering for BMW dumped the ugly 745i styling that in the front looks more like the 1995-2001's. I am glad you are happy w/ your car. BMW dealers can't hold onto pre-owned "dated" :P for many buyers can't stand the new 7. With the "fix" on the 760i, customers, dealers and trade mag are much happier,

Mike V
    Yes the Aston-Martin DB9 is simply gorgeous. It is imo the best looking production car of any type in the world today, by far. Just look at that sleek, clean, sculpted body. It is the direct opposite of the Bentley Continental GT it competes with and it really puts the 6-Series in the weeds. Going against todays trend of taller cars the Aston is low and sleek. I really like that. The Bentley looks like a truck next to it.

M
    Unfortunately I'm not a real fan of the DB9. Too sleek for me. Of course it's academic since I won't buy it.
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Well, the 745i is the best-selling 7 ever so there must be plenty of people that disagree. Franky, I can't tell much of a difference between the newly refreshed 7 and last year's model.
    The difference is immediately apparent and subtle. The tweaks were done very well.
    Huh?

Can a car be too beautiful?

The wheels shown on this revised 7 series are not subtle. They look ugly and difficult to clean.

There will always be a difference of opinion. The wheels of my 3er were impossible to clean, by hand. But they were perfect.

If you are buying this vehicle, you will probably bring it to the car wash anyway. For those who want to clean them by hand, they have chemicals for the brake dust.

Anyway, yes the car is gorgeous.
    I must say I've never heard of a car being "too sleek" before. Interesting.

M
  • treepushertreepusher Member Posts: 16
    Can't argue with the aesthetics of the DB9, altho not really fair to compare it to a 6 series, at better than $150K. Also found the Edmund's consumer ratings of the DB9 quite enlightening. Apparently this superb vehicle is only purchased by the mentally challenged. Perhaps not surprising, given that you've gotta be nuts to spend that much money for a car.
    Well I really wasn't comparing it the 6-Series in any other way than styling. I don't think you have buy expensive to get or expect great styling.

M
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I drove a 2005 6-Series (convertible, black) last friday/saturday. Gorgeous exterior and interior. Excellent driving (quite a good space within the trunk, also). I whished it had been mine! :shades:
    José
    I sat in a BMW 645Ci at the 2004 L.A. auto show and felt that the interior just didn't have a a sense of occasion.
    I agree, the car is exquisitely crafted, inside and out.
    An Aston Martin DB9 is exquisitely crafted, inside and out, not a BMW 645Ci.
    While the DB9 engineering/fit finish is beyond reproach it is not my cup of tea.

For the price range the 645 is exquisitely crafted, standing on it's own.
This discussion has been closed.