Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Good, Bad or Ugly - Current and Future styling trends of BMW

Comments

• m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    both are nice in their own ways, db9 is conservative while 645 is contemporary
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I went to the BMW dealer today and sat in a new 645Ci and M3. The M3's interior not only smelled better but also felt more special.
    true, i agree w/ that, nothing beats the simple and elegant interior of e46 :)
    The E46 is the last good-looking BMW ever made.

:mad:
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "The E46 is the last good-looking BMW ever made."

Hmmm, go figure. I loved the look of the E46 when it first came out, and loved the look of my 1999 328i for over three years. By 2002 I thought its looks were beginning to age, so when my lease was up, I didn't replace it with another E46. Now that the new E90 3-Series is out, I have my sights set on a new 330i, which I think is significantly better looking than the E46 it replaced.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    With the exception of the rear, which I think could be more defined the E90 is the best looking 3 ever. Inside and out.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well here it is:

Another great BMW design gone imo. While this isn't nearly as bad as the 5 and 7-Series cars were upon their intro, it still isn't the looker the current E46 coupe is. The roofline is the same, but that rear end needs work. The bumper doesn't even seem to fit.

M
    I'm now reading where the above pics are not the real thing. They're good photoshops based on photos of the sedan. What a relief, there is still hope it will look better than these admittedly pretty good photoshops.

M
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Really good photoshops...

I think it needs a little work around the rear wheel-wells... Looks promising.. more aggressive than the sedan..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah they got me with those. I thought they were real!

M
  • beamingbeaming Member Posts: 40
    I've read some of your posts and you seem to know a lot about bmw. Can you explain the numbers to me, i.e. E46, ? The only thing I know is the series number, i.e. 3, 5, 6, 7 X3, x5, Z3, Z4. I just don't know the other letter/number combos?!?!?!! I am new to the world of BMW.
    The "E" numbers are the internal platform designations for the various generations of the various models. Clear as mud?

For instance, the newly released BMW 3-Series sedan is called the E90, while the sedan that it replaced is called the E46, which replaced the E36 for the 1999 model year. As for the 5-Series, the current model is called the E60 and the model that came before it (prior to 2004) was called the E39.

I could go on and give you a complete history of the various designations but I think that you get the idea. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks, it's starting to make sense but let me be sure I understand. Is the current 5-series sedan called E60 regardless of whether it's a 525, 530, or 545? Also, I don't mean to be thick but what do you mean by "internal platform"? And where does "E" come from?
    I know, I know. I'm still at the hand-holding stagae of all of this.... :confuse:
    The "E" numbers are BMWs internal codes to refer to a specific vehicle platform, so I guess I said it wrong before. Sorry about that. Anyway, the current E60 5-Series is a completely different platform from the ground up than was the previous generation E39 5-Series. The E60 5-Series has been/will be offered with a total of seven engines so far, and the E39 5-Series was offered with a total of seven different engines as well, consider the following:

E39:
    1997-1998 -- 528i -- 2.8 liter I6 -- 190 hp
    1999-2000 -- 528i -- 2.8 liter I6 -- 193 hp
    2001-2003 -- 525i -- 2.5 liter I6 -- 184 hp
    2001-2003 -- 530i -- 3.0 liter I6 -- 225 hp
    1997-2001 -- 540i -- 4.4 liter V8 -- 282 hp
    2002-2003 -- 540i -- 4.4 liter V8 -- 290 hp
    2000-2003 -- M5 ---- 4.9 liter V8 -- 394 hp

E60:
    2004-2005 -- 525i -- 2.5 liter I6 -- 184 hp
    2006-2006 -- 525i -- 3.0 liter I6 -- 215 hp (same engine as in the 525xi)
    2004-2005 -- 530i -- 3.0 liter I6 -- 225 hp
    2006-2006 -- 530i -- 3.0 liter I6 -- 255 hp (same engine as in the 530xi)
    2004-2005 -- 540i -- 4.4 liter V8 -- 325 hp
    2006-2006 -- 550i -- 4.8 liter V8 -- 360 hp
    2006-2006 -- M5 --- 5.0 liter V10 -- 507 hp

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thank you for the education. :blush:
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    This is just to underline the influence of Bangle design on other brands. Have you noticed it in the interior of the new M-B S-Series? I rather prefer that of my E60.

http://www.km77.com/marcas/mercedes/2005/clase-s/gama/med/30.jpg

Best regards,
    José
    ive seen the new s-class on papers, lookin too much like a japanese camry (outside, havent seen the interior yet)...ugh...german designs have gone japanese....
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    LOL, because the Japanese have been accused of ripping off BMW styling. Notice the new TL design has the groove that is goes along the line of the door handles. :P
    The trunk of the new S class is like that of the 1998 Maybach concept.

1998 Maybach concept

Check out this ghastly BMW.

New BMW coming
    well the thing is the camry was a 2004 model, and this mercedes isnt even in the dealerships yet...
    ive seen the new s-class on papers, lookin too much like a japanese camry (outside, havent seen the interior yet)...ugh...german designs have gone japanese....

What utter nonesense. The new S-Class doesn't look like any vehicle from Japan INC, much less a ugly-duck Camry.

M
    Thanks for the link. Love the look of the Bimmer. However the X5 looks a little boxy for my taste. ;)
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Wait, you do realize that isn't what the car will actually look like right? Did you read the article? That is just a cover put over the frame so they can test the car's handling. They call it a mule. It has nothing to do with what the car will really look like.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Yeah so what is your point?

The M5 will have a manual tranny!

Stop manufacturing SUVs? Why? If you do not like SUVs, BMW has a few sedan offerings! What is the problem?

BMW should improve its quality ? Based on the latest stats from JD Power and CR, quality is improving quite nicely.

BMW styling resembles Scion/Pontiac? Maybe you should see an optometrist! That may explain why you see a resemblence!

So you are waiting for a hand made M5? The vintage car market has no shortage of hand made cars!

Last but not least is a question I want to ask you? Who the hell buys a BMW solely for its styling?

Dont you think that BMWs' drivetrain/chassis qualities are an important consideration . In fact anybody who buys a BMW without considering such qualities is simply wasting their money!(especially the one who buys his Bimmer solely for styling reasons)
    Pardon my belatedness,

I just noticed the date of the message I responded to on my last post! Feb. 27/05.

Well at least the year is current!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Gotta get me some of them... They'll move out of my way, then... Way to go, BMW!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Huhh :confuse:

Despicable? Ugly? Bull Horns?

Lexus re-wrote the book???(Lexus being a dismal # 4 in the Luxury car segment does not deserve to be referred to as re-writing any book, except maybe the following title: "Welcome to my Snoozemobile)

Whatever your view is about styling, the true heart and soul of any car is embedded in its chassis and drivetrain! And guess who is number ONE in that department( Hint: It does not begin with an L or an M and does not have a silly fuel burning rotory engine)
    Can I just ask you why you are so confrontational everytime you post a message? Where does all of this anger towards German cars come from anyway? I'll tell you, your messages say a lot more about you than they do about anyone else. Must be a heavy load to carry around; all that anger. I realize that it's not even worth it to respond to you, but I'm just trying to figure out why you would bother to post on message boards dedicated to German cars like this one if you hate them so much. Do you get some perverse joy in bashing on things other people like? Does it help you feel better about yourself or something like that?
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I ordered my horns in olivine green metallic. No extra charge!
    Way to take the bull by the horns BMW!
    Go Bangle! Go BMW!
    Nothing else drives like BMWs in their price segment.
    They are the ultimate driving machine!
    I love the new 5 series look.
    The sorehead confrontational sapparo probably couldn't see my beautiful 545i because I passed him so fast!
    Him :lemon:
    Me :shades:
    LOL!
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Whuh? Weren't you blasting Bangle several months ago? You finally got a 545 after considering every friggin' car in creation? Congratulations!

BTW, I'll take longhorns on a 76 Eldorado.

;)
    Thank you! Yup. That's me. I did consider just about every car in creation in the $50-$60k range.
    Yes I was blasting Bangle but that's before committing to the 545i. Now I have to rationalize the purchase which admittedly is easy on the performance end but more difficult for the styling. It really does look better in person than in photos, but yet, so do I and that's not saying much!
    What it boils down to is nothing in this price range drives like the BMW and that is of primary importance to me and always will be. Driving excitement is number one! The GS430 is better looking but who cares given its wishy-washy steering, grabby brakes and slow off the line acceleration? Would I have been happier if the 545i had the appearance of the Mercedes S class? I would be ecstatic! But it doesn't, so I must go through a process of psychological rationalization to allow myself time to absorb the styling gaffes front and back.
    My previous post was an exercise in such rationalization.
    I may indeed be a prime candidate for the Vulcan mind meld, " PAIN! PAIN!......" :lemon:
    Now back to the S class with it's borrowed Mazda RX-8 influence. (this was even mentioned on germancarfans) Merc1 wont admit it but they were smitten with the new edgy Mazda design details(See front panel)... So much for your Japanese copying nonsense...

Oh please. The problem here is that that copying nonesense you mention is on cars that are directly in competition with each other, like a Lexus looking like a Mercedes. The new S-Class doesn't look like a Mazda RX-8 past the fender arches and it certainly doesn't look like any snore box from Lexus. Like Mercedes would set out to style and entire car to look like a Mazda is the only nonsense I'm reading here.

M
    Can I just ask you why you are so confrontational everytime you post a message? Where does all of this anger towards German cars come from anyway? I'll tell you, your messages say a lot more about you than they do about anyone else. Must be a heavy load to carry around; all that anger. I realize that it's not even worth it to respond to you, but I'm just trying to figure out why you would bother to post on message boards dedicated to German cars like this one if you hate them so much. Do you get some perverse joy in bashing on things other people like? Does it help you feel better about yourself or something like that?

Couldn't have said it better myself, but its called "trolling". Normally I don't respond to such rubbish either, but I was mentioned so.........

M
    patience my friends... some people are just like that
    bmw sure made radical change w/ the new bamgle designs, but im warming up to it now, except for the miserably designed x3, others are pretty cool.
    caddilac is now one of my favorites, its edgy designs are just plain nice (and controversial to some), though they need some work on the interior.
    audis simple and elegant lines works perfectly, though some hate the new grille it looks ok to me...
    mercedes, well, im not sure, i like the current designs but the new ones are less appealing imo...
    what do you guys think?
    Classic case of BMW performance enthusiast shrugging off horrendous styling. I have to give you credit for separating the two and admitting it. I may have to do the same myself but I promise, if I do, I will never give up this campaign against their styling follies.

And now the formal ceremony.

Sir hdpowders, you overcame a heavy M lobby in the LPS thread based on driving preference and the redeeming qualities of performance. You had the courage, candor and sincerity to do so in the face styling adversity and prevailing opinion. Accordingly, and with pride and joy, I dub thee a BMW knight, a true BMW knight.

;-)
    Thank you Sir Designman. Coming from you, this is indeed a rare honor.
    I refuse to drive a car just because it looks good when performance is compromised.
    The 545i performed better than anything in its segment despite what the auto rags and the aggressive M lobby would have you believe.
    My goal is to drive so fast that nobody will be able to see my Banglemobile.
    Remaining thy humble servant,
    hpowders
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    I wish I could post the Banglebash someone sent me, but that would violate the rules of this fine forum. If anyone wants to see it, I can send it privately. (I can say this, right?)
    Obviously we all know how I feel about the Bangle designs. I actually don't like the edgy Caddie designs at all. Audi designs are simple alright. Simply boring! Their interiors are gorgeous, but I yawn everytime I see the new A4 or A6. I do like the A8 better though. I don't mind the grille so much, I just think Audi's designs make them difficult to look sporty and aggressive, and I hate their choices of wheels which I feel makes them look even more passive. I happen to like a lot of Mercedes' models. I love the CLK55 AMG convertible. The CLS is odd looking, but beautiful inside. As I've mentioned before, my father-in-law has the SL55 AMG which is in a class by itself (in a good way). My only gripe with it is that I don't love the back-end. My wife and I test drove the new ML, and it is much improved in both style and performance (I think that her current ML looks like a minivan).
    Well as always its such a personal taste issue. I think the Mercedes and Audi set the standard in styling for the luxury market. I mean every single Audi is good looking, tasteful design to my eye. The new A6 may not be quite as elegant as the previous A6, but still. The A8 is simply beyond reproach imo. Timeless, elegant, and balanced. Yes I like the new grille too. For better or worse, Audi's new grille is very distinctive.

Mercedes is on a roll imo. The current S, CL, SL, E, and the new ML, CLS, and SLK are all lookers. There are some details I don't like on some of them, too much to list, but overall there isn't a "bad" looking Mercedes to be found at the moment. Now this new S-Class I'll have to see in person. The CLS is the subject of much debate, but I guess that was to be expected. I love the CLS' look/design!

For me Audi and Mercedes lead by far here with a BMW having completely fallen off the list in just a few years since 2002. The 7-Series is just plain ugly imo and the 3 and 5 just look wierd/strange and they're far too dependent on color and wheel size. I'm in the small minorirty that likes the Z4. I think "Bangle" nailed it with the Z4 and its classic GT proportions. The outgoing 3-Series will likely be the last BMW I truly like in the styling department. I don't care about idrive, the shift away from the cockpit design, but I do care about how they look and they don't pass muster in that department with me anymore. Get the M3 and 3-Series Coupes while you can!!!

M
  • bobcatmanbobcatman Member Posts: 51
    http://autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=4792

The A8 is simply beyond reproach in being a boring looking car I'll agree. You saw the link on the High end boards about why the next S class wil be the butt (no pun intended) of jokes. I agree all these new German models are starting to get friggin weird styling and have lost the look of past models.. The CLS looks like a big banana shape LOL. If Audi leads in your book that has little value because they are a bomb in sales here in the N.A. I'd rather drive a TL which is primo quality has a sweet interior and blows out Audi in sales and technology if I wanted a nice FWD car with crisp styling. That car in the picture is also hurting the 5 series even more..
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    That dummy Bangle has made a lot of the new BMWs look too puffy. The first was the 7-series, which looked (and still looks like) they tacked on lights everywhere on the back end and weirded up the lights. Blobby and weird. Big sedans like that have to have some flowing design.

The 5 series isn't as bad, I almost like its lines. Still not as classy looking as a GS or A6, but better looking than the ugly M.

The 3-series.... I wish they wouldv'e kept the old design. The new one doesn't look BMW-esque enough. It looks kind of puffy next to the A4 or new IS. Still is a handler, but it looks weird.

I love the way the Z4 looks. It has a long hood and everything seems to come together nicely.

In terms of other luxury car makes, I have to say I like the Audi/Mercedes designs a lot, and Lexus is coming around as well. The A8 is one of the most gorgeous cars above 4000 pounds. It doesn't look hefty and the big grille fits it very well. The CLS looks kind of slippery but still good, the new SLK is sexy, and the E-Class has an evolutionary good look. The new S-Class looks a little cartoonish and its wheel arches are too big, but from the back or front its a good lookin car. Now the SL is just beautiful. Especially that SL65AMG. Whoo.

Lexus seems to be doing well, albeit a little boring, with the new IS and the GS looks good as well. The SC still looks like it was inflated with a pump, though. Have you seen the new LS pics? It looks as good as the A8 IMO.
    Well, the M must be hurting the 5 VERY quietly because the 5 is outselling all of the cars in it's segment. No way I'd rather drive the TL than an Audi though as I said, I find the Audi styling boring. As far as FWD goes, I think you'll find very little support for it on this message board. I'll certainly never own FWD car again. RWD is the way to go for handling (largly due to the balance of the car), and AWD is steadily improving IMO. FWD is what is it, and isn't changing at all. No true sports car would ever have it.
    Have you seen the new LS pics? It looks as good as the A8 IMO.

What pics are those? This I have to see. Considering Lexus' current lineup of styling losers I'd say that is nearly impossible. Where are those pics?

M
    The TL looks like a paper airplane at best. Funny how 5-Series sales have increased since the Infiniti M hit the market. There goes that theory.

M
    looks even worse than toyota crown, at least crown still got the charming looks, though not by much. and guess what, the interior is higher in quality, wood and leather everywhere. i had the chance to ride one (last yr), and the funny thing is, when i said "thank you" to the driver, the car responded with a polite "your welcome" instead.
    "The TL looks like a paper airplane at best."

Excellent. I was groping for a description on that one.
    Actually that isn't my creation, I got that from Dr. Fill, you know the Lexus fanatic. I think it fits perfectly though.

M
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    ""What pics are those? This I have to see. Considering Lexus' current lineup of styling losers I'd say that is nearly impossible. Where are those pics?""

I meant sketches and stuff. I think they're on the next-gen LS discussion. There's a lot of stuff flying around about it. Some of it is pretty good.

"The TL looks like a paper airplane at best."

It isn't very good looking, I agree
This discussion has been closed.