Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• bobcuibobcui Member Posts: 8
    Any owners have problem with Toyota VIP 3200 plus alarm on Sienna installed by dealer? I purchased my 05 LE with this option installed by dealer, but it has never been armed and activated. Any advices?
  • jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2004 XLE Limited. I am approaching 15,000 miles and see that my cabin air filter should be replaced. It is $32 for this part. Is it really that necessary to have this filter replaced. Can you go longer than 15,000 miles?
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Have looked at Ody and just too many things I don't like, styling, black dash on beige interior no matter what, numerous teething problems of new vehicle.

Actually want a Highlander but its too small, wish they would make a bigger version.

The report that the Sienna handled mushy and the Ody handled sports car like attracted me to the Ody. How mushy is the Sienna's handling?

Looked on line and like the XLE with Pkg 6. Maybe green with beige interior.
  • subarufan5subarufan5 Member Posts: 4
    We have a red '04 LE with aprx. 22k miles. Just to play it safe, we stick to at least "plus" or 89 octane fuel. If we go on a trip, we use the premium fuel. It really didn't influence our buying decision, especially since premium fuel is not a "requirement." We went from a '97 Voyager (junk) to this van so we don't mind the little extra in fuel cost for as refined a vehicle as the Sienna.
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    I had a Astro that recommended Premium so in the summer heat, I ran premium when I ran high speeds or towed and midgrade the rest of the time. In the winter I ran regular around town and midgrade on long trips.
  • lghong67lghong67 Member Posts: 29
    I'd just test drive both. Since I have, I'll give you my completely subjective viewpoint. The Sienna does have a relatively more "mushy" ride. Let's put it this way: I won't be taking any right turns at 25mph. To claim that the Ody handles a sports car is a bloated exaggeration, but it does give you a better feel when maneuvering. My impression is that the Sienna offers a more refined and quiet ride, but you may not feel this way.

They're both minivans that weigh over 2 tons and are box-like, no matter how much the designers attempt to disguise this fact. There is no way either vehicle could handle as well as a car (much less a sports car). Both vehicles have plenty of pickup (surprisingly so, and especially if you've driven a previous generation minivan), but I'm not a comfortable pushing it with wife and newborn (or a vehicle that just doesn't handle like a car). I figured that if I can't have a vehicle that handles well, I'll at least have one that offers a relatively quiet and sophisticated ride.

I also chose the Sienna because I preferred the interior and some of the features (for example, I prefer the telescoping steering wheel over the adjustable pedals; wait did I mention the HIDs on the Limited?). To be honest, I was *this* close to pulling the trigger on the Odyssey. I would have chosen the touring model, so I had a bit of an issue with the PAX system, but it wasn't enough to be a deal-breaker. Good luck and let us know what decision you make. I really don't think you'll lose w/ either choice. Best, LH
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    "Mushy" handling is such a subjective thing that you really should just take a Sienna for an extended test drive and see what you think.

That said, IMHO, there are definite differences between the Odyssey and the Sienna in both the ride and handling.
  • allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    Well decided to buy a 05 XLE Sienna a couple of days ago, however I know longer have it. What a weekend this has been!!! Went in the dealership negoiated a good deal on it and drove one home that night. I loved it, yes it does have what I too would call a "mushy rid" but I liked it better than the Odyessy. I was so glad to be back in a minivan after a hugh SUV. So you might ask why do we no longer have it?? Well after purchase I took it out and really drove it all over for a few hrs. After about 1/2 hrs might leg and foot went numb and starting tingling, then I got sciatic pain down my left leg. I have had some lower back problems for many years and I try to keep that sciatic pain under control. Now of course this did not happen when I test drove it for around 15-20 minutes 3 times but wow what a difference after I had been in the car longer. So I went to this local back store (I have used them many times and they are very knowledable) and they tried many different cushions and seats. NO HELP AT ALL!! He did say that Toyotas especially the Sienna have seats that are just too short. So we went back to dealership 24 hrs later 70 miles and said it just isn't going to work. OF course in Calif there is "No cooling off period law" so we had to get something. Husband had a Tundra truck that we traded in for Sienna (lease was almost up)so he really liked new Tundra and negoiated. They were wanting us to put thousands more down more because the Sienna is now a used car. Give me a break!!! Of course we were not going to do that, then they said you pay tax, license and fees again for this car. Were they kidding 24 hrs later??!! So 4 hrs later, we got new, leather beautiful Tundra with payments less than the Sienna was, no more money down than we had put down for Sienna. So husband has a great new car and I am still driving big SUV. I have no ideal what I am going to buy but it will not be a minivan, I had Odyessy and that is not good either. Pilot and MDX were the best for back. I was thinking of Sequoia but then I am in big SUV again. Here is some advice if anyone wants it... If you have ANY doubts about puchasing because of comfort or whatever tell dealer if they want to deal you want to drive a good distance to check it out.
  • jim33jim33 Member Posts: 10
    I recently read a very informative article about octane ratings and their applicability to automobiles. The authors were an automotive engineer from a leading manufacturer and a petroleoum engineer whose area was refining and gas production. Without going into all the rationale, the bottom line was that unless you have a turbo or some other heavy engine applications, then regular is what you should use. Why? The octane system was developed to handle the earlier cars that had no computers. It reduced valve knocking and other early/late combustion problems. Now with the current computers they are able to sense with a great deal of accuracy the load on the engine and adjust ignition accordingly, negating the need for the higher octane. They are able to handle all but the heaviest applications.
  • toyota6toyota6 Member Posts: 8
    My Toyota Sienna rear bumper is damaged recently. I try to have body shop replaced the whole rear bumper. I am wondering weather the replacement could hurt the van structure. Thanks.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    can you explain what you mean...

if it's replaced with "original Toyota" equipment why would it hurt the van's structural integrety? if so it would have to be the workmanship go to a reputable body shop or directly to Toyota Service.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Bumpers these days are nothing more than a fairly thin modeled somewhat flexible plastic cover over some energy absorbing foam, maybe backed up by a steel or aluminum beam.

Likely if you just had cosmetic damage, all that was replaced was the bumper cover, which provides no structural strength to anything. You are likely worrying for no reason.
  • jstoverjstover Member Posts: 2
    I have an early 2004 XLE Ltd that I purchased new. It now has about 9600 miles on it, and I have finally made an appointment with my dealer to look at the acceleration lag.

Has any other 2004 owner in this forum actually had a Toyota dealer diagnose and fix the acceleration lag? If so, please describe your transaction.
  • toyota6toyota6 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you very much for your kindly reply.
  • kzr4kzr4 Member Posts: 2
    currently have a 99 Sienna XLE. Just test drove a 2005 XLE LTD. Loved It!! The radio control on the steering wheel skipped to the channels that were programmed on the main radio. Can the steering wheel controls be programmed to the "seek" mode, and not just skip to my programmed channels? Salesman did not have a clue. Thanks
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    The steering wheel control can be used for "seek" across the active band (AM/FM) by holding down the switch until the unit beeps. It then finds the next station and stops. Either the up or down button can be used, it seeks in both directions. To find the next station you have to repeat the process and hold the button down until it beeps again. There is no access to the "scan" function from the steering wheel. Good luck with the new van. Bought a Limited last month with all the bells and whistles and am very pleased with it. The nav system is pretty amazing.
  • tregruban5tregruban5 Member Posts: 2
    Hey new member here....I don't know if anyone has brought this to the forum in the past, but, I purchased a set of brand new seatcovers for my 04 Sienna in grey and they are awesome. They cover all 3 rows, all headrests and armrests. Best part is they were only around $100 for the whole set. Found them in the eBay motors section of eBay made by the seatcover factory. Best investment in the car so far.
  • mastiffmommastiffmom Member Posts: 4
    Just got a new XLE Limited AWD. This is the first car I've bought w/all of the options, but I really liked the high intensity discharge headlights (my night vision is poor) and the parking assist and back up camera. Traded in a 2001 Odyssey for it. Was (am!) a bit concerned about the run flats but we'll see. We bought from a dealer that offers "tires for life" so as long as we stay in the area, should be ok. I'm sure there's something in the fine print that I missed that will cause me to gnash my teeth. Did not consider a new Odyssey b/c really wanted AWD. Also got car for below invoice, which frankly was a shock. Does anyone else have this model and what are your thoughts on it?
  • sjpreviasjprevia Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at getting the same model (xle limited awd). I like all the flexibility and features it has. What was the price you were able to get?
    $100 under dealer invoice
    Picked up my 2005 AWD Limited last month and decided to get the optional "compact spare tire and mounting "kit" for it. Run Flats are OK but not foolproof and for any sort of long journey 50 miles (at best) on the run flats just doesn't cut it. The compact spare tire mounts behind the third row driver's side seat (there is mounting already in place under the carpet for the hold down bolt). However, the compact tire and wheel are EXPENSIVE (roughly $300 for the combination) and it is another couple of hundred for the carpet covered moulded mounting kit. It looks fine though. Mounting the spare this way means you can't fold down the last row seat on the driver's side without removing the spare tire. It's not a problem for me since I seldom use the van for large cargo but it would become a pain if you regularly need to drop the third row seats. I've also been told to watch the tire pressure VERY closely. Underinflation is a disaster with run flats. Otherwise, it's been great so far and thanks to late snow in PA, I've had a chance to try the AWD on my "ski slope" driveway. My Camry never made it halfway up in the last snow but the van took it in stride. Impressive for the "all season" run flats but I bought another set of wheels on eBay and will put winter tires on in October for added cold weather driving security. Good luck with yours. Hope your experience is as good as mine has been.
    Thanks for the info. Do you rely on the tire monitoring built into the Sienna or do you manually check it?
    The Sienna tire monitoring system will only alert you if ONE of the tires is underinflated compared to the others. If they are ALL low you won't get any warning. What I found was that setting the tire pressure in my garage to 35 lbs when the van had been parked there overnight (it's relatively warm in my garage) resulted in the pressure being down at around 31-32 lbs when I left the van outside in 20 degree (F) overnight. The tires were significantly underinflated for the winter climate and it was caused by nothing more that checking them in the wrong environment. In any case, I've decided to keep them at around 40 lbs which should allow for significant loading and also eliminate worrying about them being set too low when the outside temperature drops. The general recommendation is to check the tires (when cold!) with a good tire gauge every month. Unfortunately, I don't know if it will actually significantly help increase the tire life but it's a good practice to follow anyway.
    thx. my car is parked outside. our garage is "otherwise occupied". In other words, the minivan gets short shrift over the performance cars. So it should always be cold enough to check the tires! :-)
  • elizasmom1elizasmom1 Member Posts: 19
    I just bought a new set of Toyota all-weather mats for all three rows. Unfortunately, there is no Toyota-made all-weather mat for the spot between the two front seats or the area between the two seats in the center row (or on the side of the center row if you have it configured like a bench). Does anyone have a solution for this? I need to find something that will fit in those two spots and is a similar gray color. I don't mind buying something I can cut to the right size. Any suggestions are appreciated.
  • subodhcsubodhc Member Posts: 5
    Yesterday I bought a new Sienna LE 8 passenger and though everything else looks and works fine so far, I noticed a noise (whisling, whining) when I place my foot gently on the accelerator (throttle). If I remove the foot the noise goes away and if I press it a bit more firmly it goes away too. Has anybody else experienced this and if yes, has it been fixed by the dealer. Is this something to be expected due to the drive by wire feature? Any informed response would be greatly appreciated.
    OK my back bugged me with the Sienna but I LOVED everything else about it. Now after looking at so many other cars/vans/suvs there is so much about SIenna I miss. Now I am wondering if there is something I can do to help prevent getting back pain, I have tried a few cushions but have not noticed hugh improvement. The lumbar support I find is very good it's just the fact that the seat cushion does not come out very far for someone with long legs. I am about 5 " 8" . I would really love some advice from people who own this van who also have long legs and if it's ok or if it bothers them. Thanks.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Go on ebay and buy a seat that will be more likely to fit.

I got a terrific deal on a 97 ES300 driver's seat including the position memory.
    I'm not up for trying to cross fit a sedan seat but I too find the Sienna cushion too short. The best I've been able to do is keep the seat all the way down, the telescopic wheel all the way extended, and the seat back further than I would normally keep it. Not a great solution but it works well enough.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    The short seat cushion was a deal breaker for me. It was a pity too because otherwise (at least at the time) I preferred the Sienna to the '05 Odyssey I eventually bought.
  • subodhcsubodhc Member Posts: 5
    A few days ago I bought a new Sienna LE 8 passenger and though everything else looks and works fine so far, I noticed a noise (whisling, whining) when I place my foot gently on the accelerator (throttle). If I remove the foot the noise goes away and if I press it a bit more firmly it goes away too. Has anybody else experienced this and if yes, has it been fixed by the dealer. Is this something to be expected due to the drive by wire feature? Any informed response would be greatly appreciated.
    I have to make a decision on what car I am going to buy SOON. I have been stewing over this for months and I am spending way toooo much money that we don't have on gas for a large SUV. I LOVE the Sienna and the only thing that bugs me about the van is that the front seats are way too short for people that have long legs and I find that uncomfortable. I keep feeling like part of my legs should be resting against something and there is nothing there. It's soo weird and my legs get tired and my back ends up hurting after a while. Anyway just wondering if anyone knows what if any new design is coming out on the Sienna for 06 and if there are any plans on changes for the seats? I have heard about other people complaining about this too. Someone told me who knows someone that works for Toyota that Toyota is good about changing things in their vehicles to make customers as happy as they can be. DOn't know if it was just a line to buy cars or really true. :confuse: :( I have 3 kids and a van would be more ideal for sure but I can't be uncomfortable all the time either, I have tried the Odyessy (also had a previous one) and I will NOT own another American car. So if the Sienna does not work out I will probably be buying the Pilot and making it work for 3 kids. Thx ahead of time..">
  • marcriesmarcries Member Posts: 5
    MotorTrend magazine also complained about the sienna seating in their most recent issue/review, and suggested Toyota allow the seat to move back another 1" to help the situation. Other people have cocomplainedbout the front seat bolster being too short and making it uncomfortable. Another poster even went so far as to return a day-old Sienna and buy a Tacoma pickup.

Obviously the following suggestions would affect the vehicle warranty and crash liabilities, but I'd pursue these rather than loose $$ by eating the instant depreciation of a new car:

1) Have a custom seat rail made by a local metal fabricator that would change or offset the seat rail rearwards by an inch or more.

2) Have an auto uphostolry shop rebuild the seat with an extended front bolster.
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    Well, since Toyota habitually debuts a new design every 5 years or so, expect only minor refreshing like grill or tailights with the additional options and such.

Things like seats being changed are rare.

Sorry, no such luck. :(
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    *********I LOVE the Sienna and the only thing that bugs me about the van is that the front seats are way too short for people that have long legs and I find that uncomfortable. I keep feeling like part of my legs should be resting against something and there is nothing there. It's soo weird and my legs get tired and my back ends up hurting after a while.******************

I don't know how feasible it would be to swap out the seat, but the 2005 Avalon Limited has a power bolster on the seat to add 2 more inches of thigh support.
  • riverview1riverview1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I purchased a 2004 XLE Sienna because it was easy to get in and out. I have had back problems for years and I was hoping that the lumbar support would be my solution. It really did not work. I have had to return to my tried and true methods of relief. Those have been small, soft pillows that fill the void...or better yet a tube shaped pillow made of foam rubber. (About 14 inches long and 10 inches around.) The foam rubber not only conforms to the space between my back and the seat...but it has gie and take that absorbs the small bumps in the road or my movement in the vehicle.

Good luck,

Al
    HI

I am just wondering what you think of the short seats (lack of thigh support), and if that effects your back in a negative way. I am so bummed that both the Odyessy and Sienna vans do not do well for my back, I just can't bring myself to buy another American vehicle (though the Caravans are horrible seats too). It has now come down to either just dealing with uncomfy seats and buying a van, purchasing a Toyota or Honda sedan or a smaller SUV. My family thinks I would be REALLY CRAZY to buy another car if its that bad for my back, I do agree but.... :mad: :confuse:
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    cost all that much to put in the seats you like...

I just read someone that the new Avalon has adjustable thigh supports so why not go to a dealer and buy a set?
  • jimg6jimg6 Member Posts: 15
    I have a set of Nokian snow tires that I used with our Honda Pilot (size 235/70-16). Can I put these tires on the Sienna with a new set of rims? The tires on the Sienna limited awd are 225/60-17. Thanks.
  • cappy4103cappy4103 Member Posts: 48
    Here is the web address to a speedometer calculator that will assist you with identifying some of the differences (size, speedometer descrepancies) of changing tires to different sizes from OEM specs:
    http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm
    In the event 16" wheel have the same bolt pattern as your OEM 17" wheels (Toyota service should be able to verify this info), there shouldn't be a problem. However, your 16" Nokia's will be 1/2 wider, 1" thicker, 1.3" taller in diameter than the stock 17" tires, and when your speedometer reads 65 mph, your actual speed will be 68 mph (per the above website). Hope this helps!
  • jimg6jimg6 Member Posts: 15
    Thank you. That was very helpful. I'm assuming that I would have to buy wheels with the same bolt pattern. I'll call Tirerack.com.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Hi all, need some help here regarding the Sienna's 8 passenger option. Can you put 3 car seats in the 2nd row? Is this option available on the cheapest trim? How much are these vans going for these days, $500 above invoice? Thanks!
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    I just checked out an 8 passenger CE model. According to Edmund's review, 3 car seats can be fit in the 2nd row. Has anybody here done that? The seats seem too narrow for that.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Three across car seats will work fine in the Sienna CE8 if the middle seat is indexed forward. I've also heard reports that 3 will fit even without the center seat indexed forward but it is a bit tighter.
    I just RENTED a 2005 XLE Limited Sienna for a day trying to find out if I could drive this van for a long period of time without my back bothering me. Well once again my legs were tingling, and my back was hurting after about 45 minutes in this van. I was SO BUMMED!!! I really like this van and for whatever reason I guess I have to give up completly in buying it, it just does not do well for my back. The seats seem very flat and do not curve much around my back, hips etc. I guess I am so used to a big SUV that has BIG cushy seats... :(;):cry:
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    allison5 - Try the seats in the 2005 Tacoma with the sport or off-road package - they are the best I have ever felt, although I wound up buying a Sienna XLE Limited yesterday.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I considered several vehicles to replace the first, and probably only SUV I ever owned, a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer. I finally realized that I could get all of the features I wanted in a 2005 Sienna XLE Limited. The $33,507 I paid is just $1,000 more than I paid for my Mountaineer, but it has the following things missing from the Mountaineer:

- a quiet and smooth ride;
    - a dimming exterior mirror;
    - side air bags (not just head curtain bags);
    - an air and odor filter;
    - 115 volt outlets;
    - HID headlights;
    - front proximity sensors;
    - a power tail gate;
    - sun visors which extend;
    - dramatically better gas mileage (19/26 for the Sienna vs 14/19 for the SUV);
    - a more flexible and larger interior;
    - a sun roof (it was optional on the Mountaineer);
    - a panoramic view to the front (the SUV roof was too low for me);
    - Laser cruise control (useless to me); and,
    - stability control (not available when I bought my Mountaineer).

I hope that the high fuel prices prompt other SUV owners to consider the Sienna.
  • maulanamaulana Member Posts: 55
    dear friends...
    I know this has been asked before, but I was wondering if anyone has new info on when the '06 Sienna is coming out. Trying to decide between the Odyssey and the Sienna, and the info on when the '06 is coming out will help me decide.
    thank you.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Just one comment: Are you sure that the Sienna's sun visors do extend? I tried it at my dealer but it was just one small piece, not extending or an offer of secondary visor. A shame for a vehicle in this price range. But maybe I'm mistaken.

And it's not just the Sienna which offer all those stuff, but any (well, most) other minivan would be a good alternative for an SUV, with superior mileage and interior volume and flexibility. Chrysler T&C or Dodge Grand Caravan would offer most of your options mentioned, but for a much cheaper price (except for the HID lights; Laser cruise - which is worthless in YOUR opinion; front sensors - which is worthless IMO; Stability control; and I think they deleted recently the sun-roof), but you get the stow-n-go seats, and a better view and visibility than Sienna, which have a much higher belt-line. But I do agree that if you have the money to spend, Sienna would be the better choice.

Good luck!
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    The 2006 Sienna is expected to get memory seats and mirrors, as well as a power folding third row. There are other minor changes too (instrumentation, colors, mirrors).

I think this put the Sienna above the Odyssey, since you will be able to get all the features available without having to get run-flats like you do on the Odyssey. I won't buy the run-flat models of either brand.

I'm hoping the Sienna will be available in late August. We'll see.
This discussion has been closed.