Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Navigation GPS Systems

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Probably the only universal way is via Bluetooth. Every tablet seems to have its own docking layout. It would be nice they way VW has it in their concept Bulli.

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's cool, but I agree that perhaps the dock should be more universal so that smart phones could fit in.

The problem with designing a dock for the iPad is that by the time it comes out, the iPad 2 arrives and doesn't fit.

They could have a middle section that is removable and could be designed to fit anything. Just look at how many iPod docks are available. Some now fit iPod or iPad, too.
    That is why bluetooth will be the connection. Though to what I am not sure. I don't see any universal mounts etc with all the different companies competing. If the OEMs become Cellular connected such as BMW is offering, they can be updated. And I would not be left with a white elephant NAV.
    That's even better, so you don't have yet another monthly bill to pay, but I think the automakers will want a cut of that profit, too.
    I got a postcard from Toyota announcing the latest NAV update. Says I haven't gotten an update for over a year. I got news for them. There has not been an update available for my NAV since the one marked Version 05.1. In the fine print on the DVD is says Navteq Map 2004. In super fine print on the postcard it says not available on GEN23 NAV units. Not sure how to tell what mine is. New lower price $169. Cannot get any info online for this latest update. I did read on one of the Toyota forums the new versions do not allow you to over ride and use the NAV while moving. I don't think I will waste the money.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "A new study of factory-installed navigation systems indicates continued owner frustration and issues, with routing quality and system usability most frequently cited, according to J.D. Power and Associates.

The market-research firm's 2011 U.S. Navigation Usage and Satisfaction Study said the Garmin system installed in the Dodge Charger won the most favorable rating from consumers, followed closely by the Hyundai Mobis system in the Hyundai Genesis Coupe."

J.D. Power Survey Cites "Continued Owner Frustration" With Many Nav Systems (Inside Line)
    They do still have the best interface I've used. Very user friendly.

My Magellan has a better color pallette and a better search feature.

I'm happy with both, though.
    Overall I like the Magellan. I am thinking a smart phone will be the way to get up to date travel info. Though you do have to be within cell site range. Do smart phones actually use GPS satellites for location? I am waiting to jump on the Galaxy Nexus from Verizon when it hits Costco in the next few days. We will dump my wife's marginal AT&T phone that is long past the 2 year contract. So it will only be a small monthly jump in cost.
    The better smart phones do have GPS antennae, so yes.

Cheaper models can still use cell-site location, which is less accurate, but also uses less battery than the GPS antennae.

Auto makers will never do this, but what I'd like to see is a generic iPad-sized console in the middle of the dash that simply worked as a big screen for smart phones.

I'd even keep the HVAC controls on separate knobs, but integrate the music and entertainment functions.
    You may not have that long of a wait. I would not be interested in iPad, but an Android version would be nice. VW put just such an iPad interface in their Bulli concept vehicle.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Next phone contract, I'm going to try the somewhat larger Android phone with a bigger screen; otherwise I couldn't be more pleased with how the android plugs in the car's audio system and gives me directions, as well as places of interest, etc. But yes, it is a bit small to consult while driving, unless you have one of those nifty steering column mounts or your eyes are less than 40 years old---LOL!
    They go up to 4.7" now, wow!

That Bulli concept was cool, but VW isn't even sure how big they should make it. Let's see what they end up producing.
    The new Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.0 has the 4.7" screen. Due out any day on Verizon. I think that may be the ideal NAV unit. I don't know of any tablet that has builtin GPS as of yet. That would be nice for sure. Though with 4G and Google maps you can get up to the minute traffic and maps. And surf the web driving down the interstate at 75 MPH.
    Playing around with a work-owned BlackBerry Playbook, which uses Bing Maps, the annoying thing is that it doesn't self-locate. Each time I need to plug in my zip code. It defaults to the whole USA, which is useless.

Not ready for prime time, needs a lot of work before it would replace my all-in-one PND.
    Sounds like the POC NAV in my Toyota. When you cross the border into AZ from CA you have change maps. Even though it shows correctly you don't have access to POI.

I will have to check that feature out when and if I opt for a smartphone. The Magellan is seamless from one side of the USA to the other. I don't see how car companies can keep selling built-in NAV units for big bucks, when you get so much more for so much less in a pocket device.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I've entered the world of in dash navigation. Bought a 07 Solara convertible. It works well enough bt a nice Garmin outdoes it any day.

Of course the maps are 3 years old so it's showing me businesses that are long gone and ignoring ones that are there but at $200 for the update CD I think I'll pass.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    If your Solara has the same Denso NAV as my 07 Sequoia, the DVD is probably dated 2005. When I was sent an offer to upgrade for $169 last month I called the local dealer. That DVD will not work in my old POS NAV unit. So much for support after sale of vehicles. Kind of like all the screaming about Onstar a few years ago. And that was not really GMs fault as the carriers dumped analog cell service, leaving those units worthless. Technology advances to quickly to spend much money on vehicle units.
    edited December 2011
    Half price today only ($16.99). Mostly "okay" reviews. Windows Phone 7 app. This app works off-line. Don't need to be connected to the net to use it.

"GPS ON - Turn by Turn gives you premium quality Voice-Guided driving directions on your Windows Phone. Just simply tap a point on a map or search address/POI, then click on the pushpin and press the GO button."

GPS Tuner
    Guess the difference is (besides the price) is that you have to be connected to the internet for Google Maps to work.

Wonder how the service is over in Anza-Borrego?
    edited December 2011
    That has been the holdup for me to get a Smartphone or 4G tablet. If you could download the google maps for a region and stay GPS connected when the Cell site signal is missing, I would be ready to spend the money. I have not decided for sure if I need a Smartphone. Seems like a waste of money most of the time. I hate talking to people that are on a cell phone. Just poor quality communications IMO. I spent too many years as a telephone man keeping the voice quality near perfect to accept what people accept today. Cell service in the best locations is pathetic. Strictly for emergencies.

The new ASUS Eee Transformer Prime due out any day has a builtin GPS which is stand alone. So I will check it out when it arrives at Best Buy. A smartphone with Wifi hotspot to keep the latest POI and maps might work when we go out to the desert. We may go this week as they have gotten rain and the flowers should be coming out.

ASUS Transformer Prime Tablet with detachable keyboard:

For $500, that looks lots more useful than an iPad. But Android is so fragmented, I think i'd really rather have a Windows OS.

My phone quality varies a lot. I pay $3 a month to Skype so I can call landlines from my desktop and sometimes it's good, sometimes not so good. Or I'll use Google Voice and often that's worse.

At least there's a cell tower near me now, so I can use my prepaid phone if I have to. Always takes me a few minutes to find it, and then I have to wonder if it's got any juice left.

Can you hear me now? :D
    It's all that and a bag of chips...

USB slot, micro USB slot (yes, both), and a 2nd battery in the keyboard.

I want one! :shades:
    It also has a micro SD card slot and HDMI to hook up to your big screen TV. Not to mention the new Quad core Tegra processor. Making it twice as fast as the current fastest Tablet. All the comparisons with the iPad2 go to the ASUS except OS. The Android 3.2 is still not the best. You do get a free upgrade to Android 4.0 when it is available. My two weeks with the Kindle Fire let me play a bit with the Android OS. I think it will surpass Windows7. I am not a big fan of what MS has done the last two changes. I just wiped the hard drive on this machine clean from Win7 Pro and went back to WinXP Pro 64 bit. It is at least twice and maybe faster than twice Win7. Vista was a disaster like ME.

So I am ready to give Android a go when this latest tablet gets discounted a bit.
    Yeah, 7 was an apology for Vista.

I don't think tablets will take over, but we'll see a lot of households switch to one powerhouse desktop PC and then one tablet, rather than a laptop now.
    The tablets have pretty much ended the short lived Netbooks. I like a couple of the ultra portable laptops out now. The HP Folio is one. My 6 year old Dell Inspiron keeps plugging away, so no big rush. I use it for my check book and travel. Something lighter with GPS is what I am shooting for. The complete travel solution. I could do it with a Smartphone. Just don't like trying to type on a smart phone. My big hands like a full size keyboard.

Speaking of MS, what does Win7 do better than WinXP? I have two with Win7 one is the pro version and 3 computers with XP and am really trying to like 7 and cannot find any good reason why.
    Probably nothing, it's just that MS stopped supporting XP and no longer comes out with security patches and stuff.

Eventually, they can become vulnerable to hackers.
    I put 7 on my home built desktop and then got a Vista laptop. Didn't see much difference, liked 'em both. Got a free copy of 7 Pro so put that on the laptop (on a SSD and that loads fast).

XP was a good OS, but 7 works. I use sleep mode a lot and that never worked for me with XP. And the built-in backup actually works. The home network setup is easy. I like pinning stuff to the taskbar (it lives vertically on one edge of one monitor). Use in private browsing when I do my banking. And I like IE9 a lot.

Had to go back and grab MSFT MovieMaker but it runs on 7 at least.

But if I had older legacy hardware, I might not be so eager to upgrade either.
    The reviews are coming in on the Transformer Prime. The GPS seems to leave a lot to be desired. It looks like ASUS is aware of the problem. They already have a second generation of the Prime coming out that addresses Wifi, Bluetooth and GPS issues. The new one also has higher resolution screen and higher price tag.

1. A new back panel design. Asus says the TF700T's back panel will "enhance" its Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS performance compared to the original Transformer Prime model. Some users have complained about issues in those areas, presumably due to the all-aluminum casing used on the original Prime tablet.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19544/asus_transformer_prime_tf700t
    Well, it was too good to be true. ;)
    That is why I am rarely one to buy leading edge stuff. I watched the consumer reviews on anything I am interested in. Usually I lose interest after doing that. Of course I still do not have a smart phone or a pad computer. I do still have my cash for what it is worth today.

The GPS feature was the major reason to pick the Transformer Prime. Now I will have to wait for the 2nd generation and see if it works well. No trips planned so no big rush.
    The PND makers (portable navigation devices) could be in big trouble if people keep buying big screen smart phones.

I played with one of these over the weekend, and the 4.65" screen is HUGE and simply brilliant. No other way to describe it.

Makes iPhone looks small. We compared side-by-side, his kid has a 4S.

Didn't have Siri, but the GPS feature looked quite good.

First time I've played with both, and I'd pick the Nexus by a wide margin. The novelty of Siri would wear off fast. That big screen you would enjoy for years.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Well, when you live in PARADISE, why go anywhere?

:shades:
    Funny you should say that. The lady that takes care of our place when we are on vacation, schedules her vacation from her Federal job to coincide. She just loves to come up to the quiet of our place and relax for a week. Away from the noise and smells of the city. From our patio we can see Mt San Jacinto 63 miles North and from our garden area you can see Pt Loma, Coronado and the ocean. We have considered doing a vacation swap with someone in an area we would like to vacation. The only place we really like as much as our home is Hilo Hawaii.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Ever been to Cottage Grove?

:shades:

Summers are WONDERFUL!

Winter, eh, not so much...
    I like a lot of Central Oregon. I have gone through Cottage Grove. Never spent any time there. Have relatives in Medford and Scio. My son and daughter in law would like to move out of Alaska. They like Oregon as they have friends living somewhere out of Portland. I may be spending more time up your way.
  • bellabuckeyebellabuckeye Member Posts: 1
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your idea! I have a Grand Prix with heads up display and have to start looking for another car and am just annoyed that I'm having a hard time finding a car or SUV with HUD. Not only do I LOVE my HUD for the usual things that it displays on the windshield, but to have navigation would be incredible!! You seriously NEVER have to take your eyes off the road when you have HUD. Hopefully somebody sees your post and institutes it! Also, if anyone knows of HUD-Heads up display in any new cars or SUV...please let me know. Thanks!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    How does a GPS get live traffic information? Does it require a cellphone?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I believe it is an FM station in selected areas that broadcasts the road info. So your GPS has to be equipped.

I am wondering how good smartphones are as a GPS. I am getting mixed reviews. They do not seem to be as good as a standalone GPS. They do offer up to date POI information. And best gas prices with a Gas Buddy App. That is not worth $80 a month to me. I am not ready to give up my free Cell service on the Sprint Pioneer phone.
    Thanks. I"m looking for a GPS that has lifetime maps and having traffic would be nice.

I had seen a good price on NewEgg for TOMTOM 1405TM with both. I currently have two TomTom XL 330 series.

I'd like something under $100 so anyone with a good working T&M suggestion, I'd like to hear it. I notice reading reviews of the 1405TM that it changed routes while enroute for people, probably because of traffic and Time-of-day choices. They also mentioned the map update didn't work right and required calling TomTom customer service. I've found them very good like my Cincinnati Bell landline service. But I really don't want to have that hassle every 3 mon or so for an update.

Can traffic modification after route is planned be turned off?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I use my smartphone as a GPS and it's pretty darn good as long as you rely more on the audio than the visual, because of a) smaller screen and b) difficulty in bright sunlight. I think in the past year it only made two outright errors--that is, didn't know about detours, etc.

I mounted mine down low near the console to keep it out of bright sun, and I plug it into the car's audio system through the iPod jack. I don't think I've ever had it drop out on me.

One thing I often do with it is, even if I already know my route, I put it on mute and watch the screen to warn me how many miles to my turn-off---this is handy because I'm often dueling with big rigs on SF highways and they tend to line up tight on the right to exit from one major artery to another. So if you want too long, you aren't getting off on that exit without taking your life into your hands.

it also shows traffic tie-ups with a red line (if you select this feature) and you can also grap it and talk to it and ask for a gas station or a Starbuck's, BUT...BUT...you have to cancel previous navigation--it can't do two things at once.

Can any NAV system do two things at once? I don't know :confuse:
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited March 2012
    Navigation direction and distance are available on the Buick LaCrosse HUD. It works great.
    edited March 2012
    Can traffic modification after route is planned be turned off?

On Garmin models you basically go to Avoidances and disable Traffic as an avoidance. It will still warn you, but it will not re-route you.

I believe there are 3 different systems that get traffic:

1. As Gary mentioned, an FM station receiver that goes on the power cord, this is the most common, and no monthly fees make it popular.

2. XM traffic. This is delivered via the XM radio service, so you have to subscribe and pay a monthly fee, usually bundled with satellite radio. For whatever reason $17 a month rings a bell, but don't quote me on that.

3. MSN-based. They had a $50 annual fee last time I checked, but the fee also includes gas price information.

Keep in mind that these tend to work in urban areas where such services already exist, and the information itself is a bit delayed, you may find out about a jam 20 minutes or so after it started. I've found that live radio broadcasts are more up-to-date vs the FM traffic.
    Thank you. That is good information.

I know I can look at traffic cameras and see color-coded traffic speeds from Dayton to Columbus online. I assume it's that same source giving that data to the online info that gets to the GPS units.

>live radio

I understand what you mean there. My thinking is sometimes in strange areas I have no idea what station might give traffic, if any do. And the traffic slowdown info might help avoid long duration accidents in the middle of KY, e.g., on I-65 between Louisville and Nashville. Furthermore, in some areas they give lists of accidents and I would have no idea where Ganglion Rd on I-70 might be.

Got company visiting this week and using a new Garmin. First time user. :shades:

Somehow, once in the UP, she managed to change the language to Spanish and mute it at the same time. Wound up driving two hours out of her way. And got a speeding ticket to top it off. No map, no phone. :shades:
    AAA never leave home without their maps. NAVs are fun but less than reliable too many times. Even google maps are not perfect with your Smartphone. Probably the best available.
    Then there are those of us who decide Jill is wrong and don't follow the Nav instructions, only to find out that she was right once again.
    Jill sometimes plans strange routes and doesn't take the best road for driving and speed.

That's why I was curious about the GPSs that plan based on traffic. Some seem to do maps based on patterns of daily traffic but not necessarily on that day.
    Others seem to do realtime planning of routes.

change the language to Spanish

I'm surprised she didn't end up in Tijuana! :D
    Had a chance to sample both at a BMW event.

C250 Navi had a small screen, I'll guess 6" but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Despite the smallish size, it was very sharp, definitely HD. Reminds me of the E class, only the C's screen is definitely smaller. Fonts for the roads are too small, also.

The interface has gotten a lot better over the years, but our test drive was too short to figure out much besides zooming in and out and panning around a bit.

BMW's system was wider and had a split screen on the new 328i, so that you could still see a narrow map if you want to fiddle with the radio. Not as sharp, and still very small fonts, in fact I'd need reading glasses to read street names, but then I'd have trouble seeing the road ahead at high speeds. Doh.

Drove off in the van, which has the 7" Magellan custom mounted, and the screen is bigger than either and a little easier to read to boot.

With Cadillac and Lexus offering 12.3" built-ins, these smallish built in screens seem very dated already.