Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Navigation GPS Systems

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2012
    That reminds me - she got a Nuvi 2525 with a 5 inch screen and thinks the screen is too small. Found it a bit hard to read.

Not sure why she bothered in the first place. She's moving back to the Alaska Bush soon and she's sure not going to be able to get much use out of it there. Probably will come in handy for trips in pedestrian mode when she gets Outside for vacations.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Haven't shopped in a while....how big do the Garmins get nowadays? Can you get a 7" one? Do they have an input for a backup cam?

When I looked the 7" screens they sold didn't even have batteries. They were for big rigs, for permanent mounts.
    Looks like 5" is the biggest Garmin makes for automobiles and they have no backup camera input.
    Yeah, I was just browsing their site.

Not much new since my 1490LMT model. Just some thinner ones, and HD radio traffic (I think?). Also some take voice commands now.
    Anyone using this or something similar?

Waze

Looks like maps with real time updates, no more dead ends, real time cops and accidents and a gas finder rolled into one.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Must be tied to Google maps program. It looks like a useful tool. Though will it cause more accidents with people fiddling with their Smartphone while driving?
    Augmented reality windshields are going to fix that problem. :) (WSJ link)
    I think it's a great idea.

Dash tried this but didn't get enough buy-in from people.

The fact that this works on Apple or Android should help it a lot.

Too bad I'm stuck with BlackBerry (required for work).
    Some people will see that female in the windshield and then slam on the brakes and get rear ended. :D
    "That $3,000 navigation system in your new car's dashboard "is most likely going to be outdated in three years," Green says. He estimates that a $2,500-$3,000 navigation system on a 2013 model car will lose most of its value and add no more than $300 to its resale value in three years when compared to a 2013 base model."

How To Buy a Low-Tech Car
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Yeah, special order that new E-class with no nav (it can be done), just plan to keep it for the rest of your life, as you'll never be able to sell it. Although the option depreciates along with the car, it is expected in some classes of vehicle, and is a resale destroyer if lacking.
    At least pricing has come down to earth.

I remember Subaru wanted $2200 for the Navi on my wife's Forester. For a smallish screen with no backup cam.

Today the options costs less than half ($1000) and includes a backup cam.

So getting $300 back for it is fine now. Residuals on a 3 year lease are around 52% or so, so if the Navi gets 30% back that's close enough.
    I splurged on my Garmin and got another memory card for it (~$12). Now I'm overloaded with POIs for campgrounds and truck stops and pit stops and roadside attractions.

Can you put POI files in a factory nav?

(Oh, something must be dicey at Garmin - their warranty claims have exploded recently per Warranty Week - claims are up +584% as a percentage of sales over a year ago).
    If your NAV has web access like the BMW you can use Google maps and be up to date. I would say that is the direction the OEMs need to go. When you buy an updated DVD for Toyota NAV it is already 3 years behind. Talk about worthless NAV units. I have just about talked myself into a JetPack on Verizon. Then buy a good WiFi tablet with GPS capability. $50 a month vs $100 plus for a smart phone.
    POI files are neat - I used one for speed traps and programmed mine to beep every time I approached to warn me.

Funny thing is, there are so many it was beeping all the time!

But yeah, the portables give you more control over stuff like that.
    Dad has a 200 convertible, and the UConnect system in there has won all sorts of awards.

I just updated his and it still doesn't have he ICC here in MD, a year later. Disappointing since he lives right off the exit, so he's basically off the map all the time.

I think the latest Garmin update finally has the whole ICC. Magellan's from last quarter only had the early phases, not the whole thing.
    Maybe people are seeing that it is the end of the road for these devices and trying to get their money back with shaky warranty claims. Look at Apple, they paid out over $2 billion in warranty claims last year.
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, but what if I just want the nav to beep whenever I'm within two miles of any Harbor Freight?

A portable GPS can do that. :shades:
    FWIW Apple maps sucks. Really, it just blows.

Sorry, just had to say it.
    Is Google maps up to speed on your roads? They do pretty well around here. I would think down loading Google maps automatically as you travel would be best. Hopefully whichever diesel SUV I get will have a good OEM. I don't think many are available without NAV.
    FWIW Apple maps sucks. Really, it just blows.

Sorry, just had to say it.

Don't go to the stockmarket thread and say that. They will try to run you off. Only thing that saved the iPhone 5 was allowing users to have Google maps back. Apple thought they knew maps and laid a big egg with the iPhone 5.
    I rarely shop at Harbor Freight. Most of their stuff is below sub standard.
    Google Maps is a lot better, especially the way they display traffic.

Apple maps could not calculate a route to National air port from the Marriott just 3 blocks away. It goes in a circle and never gets inside the air port.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited March 2013
    > Only thing that saved the iPhone 5 was allowing users to have Google maps back. Apple thought they knew maps and laid a big egg with the iPhone 5.

Apple's warranty claims up 46%. That's huge, IMHO.

>>Don't go to the stockmarket thread and say that. They will try to run you off.

I've not seen a discussion on edmunds running quite like that one.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Okay, if you want high end stuff, here's a POI file for Tiffany & Co. Let me know if you can load it on your factory nav. :shades:
    I want it to beep and warn me to stay away. Set it for maybe 1 mile away. LOL
    LOL, maybe that can be arranged. Who was it that blocked out all the Subaru dealers on one of your rides?
    Audi.

Not very confident in their product. What if the spouse drives a Subaru?

Not at all unlikely in the snow belt.
  • vat19vat19 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all, I just purchased a 2013 CRV EX (no NAV as it was a very expensive upgrade for 2008 technology) and it had bluetooth and displays stuff in i-mid system/screen. I am looking for a stand alone GPS unit that can do voice prompts coming thru the speakers and would interupt music from iphone/ ipod or radio. Very similar to how my iphone works when I get a receiving call. I have used a free app called "WAZE" which works fairly well however that uses up my data plan as I do not have an umlimited plan. Thanks in advance for all input and direction.
    You may have to replace the head unit. I can't imagine the OEM radio would mute easily.
    edited April 2013
    One of the Edmunds editor's is on a road trip:

"The Porsche noticed a 2 mile traffic backup and re-routed me 228 miles away to avoid it. Thanks! @Mike_Magrath"
    edited April 2013
    My wife was ready to toss the Magellan out the truck window Saturday. We were trying to get to a nursery we have never been to. I looked it up on Google maps and knew the approximate location. Made the mistake of using the NAV. It had us turn onto a street that no longer goes through. And it took us right into the largest swap meet you would ever want to go to. The traffic both vehicles and foot was unbelievable. Took us nearly 30 minutes to get out of that mess. She told me to get her a current San Diego Thomas guide or she would divorce me. Not quite that harsh. But she is far less tolerant of these POC GPS units. I plan to get a Smart phone or a Jetpack with Verizon service for our upcoming road trip. Not sure what I will buy yet. If the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 is out that will be my choice.
    And it wasn't even April Fools' Day for y'all. :shades:
    I'm frustrated with my Magellan unit as well. Besides crashing once in a while, it could not find the Marriott near the air port.

The hotel has a Rt 1 address, but the entrance is on a side street. The highway goes right by, no exit to get up if you're heading north.

You'd think a GPS would know that.
    edited April 2013
    When I was in Berlin in 2010, the BMW factory nav had a hell of a time finding the rental car return at Tegel (!) and I almost missed a flight. I actually had to stop at a gas station and ask for directions.
    Google Maps helped me but even that had trouble with navigating there.

Nothing beats a local's knowledge of the roads.
    I remember I knew I was heading away from the airport, with the nav plotting a random turnaround and destination, so I simply turned around and found a place to ask. It would get me on a road near the airport, then keep going past. I don't know what was wrong. To its credit, the Audi I had last took me directly to the right place at Frankfurt.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/02/mercedes-follows-chrysler-chooses-garmin-for-- next-gen-infotainm/

Not a bad idea, they have the most easy to use interface. Just make it HD, and they might end up with the best Navi in the business.
    The current MB unit has a pretty high resolution display - not the most gigantic screen anymore, but the image quality is great. Makes my friend's Prius look like an Atari 2600.

I don't like touchscreens - fingerprints.
    Yup, you'll recall I commented about how BMW had the bigger screen, but M-B's display was sharper.

That's why I said Garmin must go HD.

I like touchscreens, just look at how ubiquitous tablets and smart phones have become. A simple wipe for finger prints works.

Honda came up with a clever solution - 2 screens. Only the bottom one you touch.

I don't like the joystick controls because the passenger has to use them left handed. Try using your mouse left handed, and good luck! Or you could limit your spouse search to lefties only. :D

Voice commands are fine, of course, especially if they can recognize natural speech (most don't).

These need to work as well as Siri does. Just say "Navigate to Fred's house" and it should search your contacts for Fred and go to that address. Or a command like "Go to the nearest gas station" and let it figure that out.

The idea of spinning a wheel to enter one single letter at a time is, to me, unacceptable nowadays.
    edited April 2013
    I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and Verizon JetPack data service. I am using the Note with Wifi at home and went to the OEM Nav app. It gives a bunch of warnings about trusting it and an acceptance by user. I tried the voice on several places around here and it responded correctly to each voice command. It also had the best routing. I am hoping it will be a valuable tool on our next road trip.

PS
    The built-in GPS was spot on to the room in the house. Using Google maps.
    I'm ambi-mouserous. :)

Glad to see (I think) MB and Garmin hooking up. Hopefully that'll mean more and cheaper updates for built-in navigation systems and cheaper upfront costs too.
    Cool tablet, congrats.

I kinda want a Galaxy Note 3 as a phone. Fits in my pocket but near-tablet sized screen.
    I think it's a win-win tie up. M-B has some of the best screens, Garmin has the simplest interface (an area where M-B could improve).

Garmin gets map updates quarterly, too. Can't beat that.
    Yeah, but mine are free "lifetime" map updates. Doubt that updates will be free in-dash. Would be nice though.
    Maybe for the warranty period. Maybe.

Will there be an SD slot for updates? Or maybe via the car's telematics, though map database are HUGE so that would eat up your whole data allowance.
    edited April 2013
    Oh, good point about eating up the data bandwidth. But I can just imagine the posts now for the alternative - my kid stuck a nickel in the SD slot. :shades:
    edited April 2013
    Or a harder in-car nav screen surface - most seem kind of porous, and difficult to clean.

MB Comand will give you a list to scroll once you input a couple letters. Not as easy as direct entry, but you don't have to use the mouse/wheel to enter an entire destination. I usually know where I am going anyway, so accuracy and image quality trumps that for me. The car also has an SD slot, so an update like you mention would be possible, in theory.

I have yet to see a voice control unit that is really accurate, especially with more than a few words spoken.
    I wonder if the issue is glare? So they have to be matte, so there's no reflection in the car. The iPad has a lot of glare.

Yeah, most GPS use predictive text, and that helps, until you have many streets with similar names.

The tech is evolving very fast, you have to wonder what we'll see 5 years or so from now. I'm holding out for teleportation. :shades:
    Or really good 3D maps, anyway. And more integrated screens.

Glare is no doubt an issue.