Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• Talked to the local dealer and he was estimating around $20K, before $2K rebates/incentives.
    "Should put a start around $16-17K"

Of course that was just talk and nothing on paper. Too bad we aren't going to get a diesel. Maybe they are waiting for '06 when the sulfur levels go away.
  • Kia Sportage, a price of $18,000 would be a great deal on the newest version of the sport utility vehicle that started them all. The 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 I own and drive is a great little rig and I am going to be looking long and hard at the '05 Sportage. I am not turned off by the SUV being driven by it's front wheels as some old-gen RWD Sportage owners are. I'll give it a good look and I'll check out the AWD feature on it. That would help in inclement weather driving and probably give you a needed boost in muddy or snowy driving conditions. From what I've read a lot of people will buy nothing but AWD on their cars. It must be a desirable thing to have, eh?

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• And I found it to be very impressive. The Escape, Rav4, CRV, and Liberty were available for comparison drives over the same course. The Sportage was the class of this field of small suv's.
  • Please tell us more, 4 or 6 ? stick or auto ? 4wd ? I didn't know they were in the country yet. Any info on pricing ?
  • We were told that we were driving pre-production "mules" that may differ slightly from the production models that will start arriving at the dealers next month. No information on pricing, except high teens to low 20's. Base 3wd 4cyl will have power, air, stability control and traction control. It has the most interior room in class and is the best handling on pavement. They expect the 2.7L v6 with 4wd(actually a electronically controlled awd with no low range) to be well over 50% of the mix.
  • Thanks for the info. We have an Amanti and love it. Our other car is a 2001 Forester S, which we are planning to trade next fall. Will compare a new Forester with a Sportage.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    if you've driven both are they comparable???
  • this is an award from within South Korea for the new Sportage for 2005. The Sportage is the only vehicle to be selected for this year’s awards. Kia expects 104,000 units to be sold overseas in 2005.

Kia Motors Corporation today announced that its Sportage compact sport utility vehicle (SUV) has been selected for the 2004 Korea Industrial Design Award, in recognition of its innovative and attractive styling.

The Sportage, which was launched by Kia in August, is one of ten products to be chosen for this year’s award, out of 170 total entries. Since 1997, the annual Korea Industrial Design Award has been recognized as the country’s foremost accolade for achievements in design by domestic manufacturing firms.

Yong-Hwan Kim, Senior Executive Vice President and COO of Kia Motors, said: "Aside from its performance and safety features, the immense popularity of the Sportage is due in part to its chic and sporty exterior and interior design that are well in tune with modern aesthetics.” Adding to the enthusiasm, particularly among younger customers, are its cool colors such as Smart Blue, Volcanic Red, and Vert Jade Pearl.

Since the Sportage was launched, 22,346 units have been sold as of the end of November. Another 18,600 units await shipment. Kia expects to sell 104,000 units of the Sportage in overseas markets in 2005.

Looks like beginning sales are very brisk in South Korea for the '05 Sportage. I'm gonna check out the Volcanic Red and Smart Blue, for starters.

• I'm Korean and I bought blue one in 28 OCT 2004.(Actually, I ordered 24 SEP 2004 and did wait 37days till got in my hand) I drove 2890Km and very satisfied with 2005 Sportage. It has good design and performance. Hyundai Tucson was my consideration but I did choose Sportage.^^

Actually, Tucson and Sportage are almost same car except design and several options. They use same engine and body frame.

I was in agony. Cause I could not decide to buy Tucson or Sportage. (I would like to have both ^^) It was very hard but I finally orderd Sportage. The sportage's design was more attractive to me.

In Korea, Almost SUV buyer have same trouble like me, Tucson or Sportage?(I'll not mention about Santafe and sorento cause it's different level SUV) Now Kia export Sportage to Europe and will export North America soon. And I think that time you guys will have same trouble.(^^)

Tucson and Sportage have a good reputation in Korea.I'm sure that You will not regret buy any SUV Tucson or Sportage.
  • if the 2005 Kia Sportage performs anywhere nearly as good as my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 I will love it I'm sure! Congrats on getting your Sportage and do include progress information on your '05 Sportage experience throughout the months ahead if you would. It's a good way for interested ones to gather road data on the Sportage. Have fun! The Sportage is all about enjoying your ride, eh?

• 2005 Sportage is totally different with older sportage. Design is so cool and more attractive.

My 2WD(2.0 Diesel) blue one is almost $17,858(18,930,000WON).(Nowadays Korea WON exchange rate is 1,060WON to $1. So, price will be a little bit different when sale on the US)It has ABS,MP3CDP,Dual Airbag,automatic and not included leather seat, side curtain airbag.

It goes about 12.5Km/1L in highway and 10Km/1L in the city.(I live in seoul and traffic jam is terrible) Seems to be a very good SUV drives effortlessly, rides like almost sedan~
  • it will cost just under $18,000 here in the U.S., too. That would be nice. I paid $17,045 for my '01 Sportage 4x4 in Sept.of 2001, so if the new one is only slightly higher then Kia would truly be living up to their value brand reputation. Can't wait to see one. I'm taking my Sport in for it's 90,000 mile-service in a week or so and I'll look for the '05 Sportage out on the sales lot. Maybe take one for a spin! Cool! BTW-my '01 Sportage is quickly closing in on 90,000 miles. I have yet to burn a single light bulb out in the rig nor have I needed a lick of brake work nor have I needed to change out for new tires yet! I am still running my OEM Hankook's! Yaa-hoo-wee!

• chazzchazz Posts: 4
    Kia today updated their website for the new Sportage. The site http://sportage.kia.com/ now gives full detailed specs and features. Only the prices are still unavailable.
  • I just took the tour over there. Once again, Kia's 10 year, 100,000 mile Long Haul Warranty is tough competition to beat with SUV's. I'll take a close look at any Smart Blue and Volcanic Red I4 5-speed Sportage's-hopefully my dealer will have them in on Winter Break here in a week or so while I'm getting my '01 Sportage 4x4's 90,000 mile service done. I'll talk to the salesmen about any special repeat customer deals and also the drivetrain options. I'm curious about the 2WD/with available AWD option and such. I'll include things learned in this thread.

• boredbored Posts: 300
    You're at 90,000 already, iluv? My mom's Sportage is at just 72,000. That sure did go by fast. She saw the new Sportage in Canada driving around early this year (badgeless of course) and loved the look. I think she is thinking about buying one.
  • You're one of a few others who have recently joined back in here at Edmunds. Yeah, the miles have gone by quickly because I'm interning at various hospitals in mid-Missouri and driving all over. Almost done though!

Go to the Kia site and look at the Sportage site indexed there. It really is sharp looking, Volcanic Red or Smart Blue really accentuate it's sporty look. Gonna be hard to avoid, yep!

• boredbored Posts: 300
    I've been here, just haven't been posting. I got "warned" for something I did, and I just took a very long break from this site.

Lately, I've been hanging out over in the SUV section (Specifically JeeP). I drive a '04 Liberty.

I've seen the Sportage microsite. Their little advertisement says the Sporty should be back on the 1st of January. That means that they should be on their way over right now. I'll stop by the dealer to take a look.
  • over to Springfield, MO, the town Brad Pitt's from, to get the Sporty's 90,000 mile service over Winter Break sometime. I'll scan their sales lot really well for any new entries. BTW-Kia's Rio for 2006 looks hot! The more I look at the 2005 Sportage the more I like it. I think that compared to my '01 Sport 4x4 it will ride like a car. The old Sportage design is a tad on the crude side. The funny thing about that rig is that at times it rides so smooth I can hardly hear the engine! It's built solid, too, much like a little Jeepster-tank. I'm lookin' at the tC from Scion or this new Kia Sportage for my replacement rig(be that whenever it may be-it could be a long while still before I trade).

• service today and talked to a salesman aboout the new 2005 Sportage. He said theirs are coming in in February.

The 2005 Kia Sportage will have power sunroof standard on the EX V6 model only. A/C will be optional on the LX I4 2WD manual transmission model(the one I'm interested in)and cruise control will be standard equipment on the LX V6 and EX V6 models. It'll also have some nice safety features such as six airbags and side curtains. The airbags and seatbelts will be built with a sensor system that will work in conjunction with each other. They will gauge the severity of an impact, detect whether you're buckled up and then respond to a collision accordingly. 2005 Sportage's will also have standard anti-lock brakes. Sensors will monitor each wheel, and if one is on the verge of locking, the brakes are pumped. This helps you maintain the ability to steer during hard braking and gives you better control in an emergency. Standard equipment also includes Traction Control System(TCS), which detects and corrects wheel spin for superior traction. The standard Electronic Stability Program(ESP)provides better directional stability to help you maintain control in the event of a severe skid. Four-wheel ABS is also standard as are 4-wheel disc brakes. That is a lot of safety-minded driving equipment standard equipment on this rig. BTW the '05 Sportage will also feature dual front seat-mounted side airbags as well as the advanced dual front airbags. Standard equipment is an AM/FM/CD stereo w/6 speakers. Power windows w/one touch driver's express down, and power door locks w/two-turn entry system are standard equipment. Also, you can now open up an upper glass flip-up tailgate now instead of flipping up the entire rear door. This allows you to load groceries and smaller items without opening up the entire rear door.

The 2005 Sportage also has a rear cargo under-lid compartment for storing small items and keep them from rolling around in the rear cargo area during travel. Roof rails come standard on all Sportage trim levels. The spare tire is no longer stowed on the back of the SUV like the old model. It's now stowed under the cargo floor area.

It looks like I can get 2WD(FWD now, no longer RWD like on the old Sportage)with a 5-speed manual tranny and ask for Electronic-Control On-Demand 4WD as an option if I want. I don't have any idea how much that option will be but that might be nice-air conditioning is also optional on the LX I4 model, so I'd have to add that as an option as well. If A/C is around $1,000(pretty sure it will be)I may not even add the ECOD 4WD option. That remains to be mulled over once I get a firm idea how much each option will cost.

I asked him how much the Sportage will cost and it doesn't sound like that they really know at this time. He mentioned $18,000 as a base price estimate and that's probably pretty close to reality. It looks great in the brochure and two colors top my '05 Sportage favorite color list: Volcanic Red and Smart Blue. Both of those are metallic paint finishes.

• c14c14 Posts: 6
    The new Sportage will be the twin of the Hyundai Tuscon.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Tucson has a wider D pillar and the Sportage a wider C pillar. Hopefully there will never again be the kind of 1990's Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge duplication that occured with the Optima and Sonata, although the Tucson and Sportage are more alike than the Elantra and Spectra.
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    Posted on Kia website now
  • xvrmxvrm Posts: 10
    So, prices are posted. Are the new Sportages 'on the boats' or have one or two cleared port & landed at dealerships?? Just curious ....

Robt.

'02 4DR Base 4x4
  • I HAVE TO CONFESS I DO WORK FOR A KIA DEALER AND HAVE FOR A YEAR NOW. WHEN MY WIFE TO BE, NEEDED A NEW CAR FOR HER NEW JOB THE SPORTAGE WAS THE OBVIOUS CHOICE. THE RIDE IS SO QUIET AND SMOOTH, I FORGOT IT WAS AN SUV. I DID DRIVE A CRV, RAV4, ESCAPE AND LIBERTY AND HAD NO DOUBT THE SPORTAGE IS THE BEST SMALL SUV IN THE MARKET. THE FEATURES ARE GREAT, AND THE STEREO IS NICE TOO. THE SPORTAGE HIT MY STORE ON THURSDAY AND MY HOME ON SATURDAY...
  • I'm new to this site. Just got my '05 Sportage (Steel Grey) 3 days ago in Toronto, and already the ABS and ESP OFF warning lights come on and off intermittently. Took it to the dealer where they said it was just moisture in the sensors. Blew the moisture out, but the lights came on again on the way home.

Question 1: Anybody else experiencing this?

Question 2: Are my ABS and ESP systems not functioning properly when the sensors come on? Or is it really just "a sensor" problem.

J.
  • Called the dealership this morning. They didn't blow the moisture out after all! They turned the ignition, no light came on, they sent me home. No wonder the warning lights still come on. I'm going back down this morning to make sure they blow them out, and put something in to stop the moisture from returning.

Does the word "intermittent" mean nothing to them?

Will keep you all posted.

Other than that...love my Sportage...it's a great little vehicle to drive.

J.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    We're going to move this discussion to the SUVs board in a day or so. If you've subscribed to this discussion, nothing will change for you. If you haven't, please subscribe or bookmark it now. Otherwise, you can find it by searching for "sportage" using the tools at the left.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mvls1mvls1 Posts: 32
    Where exactly did you find one? None of the dealers in southern California have any and I would realy like to test drive one. Also, which model and options did you get?
  • http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/05sportage.htm

Positive article, but the engine power issue is mentioned.

Fuel mileage is deemed "respectable", but the Edmunds Tuscon forum is definitely belly-aching about that topic right now! Here's a quote:

"The actual combined average gas mileage is 17 mpg. This is abysmal in my judgement and is my biggest complaint about the car since the sticker advertises 20 City and 26 Highway. The best I got was 22 mpg on a whole tank on the highway at 60 mph and using no AC. Help me understand how they can possibly advertise 26 Highway."

Edmunds Tuscon forum

• out the door price? Did you get the 2WD without the Electronic-Control-On-Demand 4WD option or did you get the 4WD? I've got a sweet '01 Sportage 4x4 in Pepper Red and I've got my eye on this new Sportage for a possible replacement for mine.

BTW, congratulations on your new Sportage too! It's a great looking rig!

Also, is yours a manual tranny or an automatic?