Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• highfreehighfree Member Posts: 2
    2005 Sportage is totally different with older sportage. Design is so cool and more attractive.

My 2WD(2.0 Diesel) blue one is almost $17,858(18,930,000WON).(Nowadays Korea WON exchange rate is 1,060WON to $1. So, price will be a little bit different when sale on the US)It has ABS,MP3CDP,Dual Airbag,automatic and not included leather seat, side curtain airbag.

It goes about 12.5Km/1L in highway and 10Km/1L in the city.(I live in seoul and traffic jam is terrible) Seems to be a very good SUV drives effortlessly, rides like almost sedan~
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    it will cost just under $18,000 here in the U.S., too. That would be nice. I paid $17,045 for my '01 Sportage 4x4 in Sept.of 2001, so if the new one is only slightly higher then Kia would truly be living up to their value brand reputation. Can't wait to see one. I'm taking my Sport in for it's 90,000 mile-service in a week or so and I'll look for the '05 Sportage out on the sales lot. Maybe take one for a spin! Cool! BTW-my '01 Sportage is quickly closing in on 90,000 miles. I have yet to burn a single light bulb out in the rig nor have I needed a lick of brake work nor have I needed to change out for new tires yet! I am still running my OEM Hankook's! Yaa-hoo-wee!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• chazzchazz Member Posts: 4
    Kia today updated their website for the new Sportage. The site http://sportage.kia.com/ now gives full detailed specs and features. Only the prices are still unavailable.
    I just took the tour over there. Once again, Kia's 10 year, 100,000 mile Long Haul Warranty is tough competition to beat with SUV's. I'll take a close look at any Smart Blue and Volcanic Red I4 5-speed Sportage's-hopefully my dealer will have them in on Winter Break here in a week or so while I'm getting my '01 Sportage 4x4's 90,000 mile service done. I'll talk to the salesmen about any special repeat customer deals and also the drivetrain options. I'm curious about the 2WD/with available AWD option and such. I'll include things learned in this thread.

• boredbored Member Posts: 300
    You're at 90,000 already, iluv? My mom's Sportage is at just 72,000. That sure did go by fast. She saw the new Sportage in Canada driving around early this year (badgeless of course) and loved the look. I think she is thinking about buying one.
    You're one of a few others who have recently joined back in here at Edmunds. Yeah, the miles have gone by quickly because I'm interning at various hospitals in mid-Missouri and driving all over. Almost done though!

Go to the Kia site and look at the Sportage site indexed there. It really is sharp looking, Volcanic Red or Smart Blue really accentuate it's sporty look. Gonna be hard to avoid, yep!

• boredbored Member Posts: 300
    I've been here, just haven't been posting. I got "warned" for something I did, and I just took a very long break from this site.

Lately, I've been hanging out over in the SUV section (Specifically JeeP). I drive a '04 Liberty.

I've seen the Sportage microsite. Their little advertisement says the Sporty should be back on the 1st of January. That means that they should be on their way over right now. I'll stop by the dealer to take a look.
    over to Springfield, MO, the town Brad Pitt's from, to get the Sporty's 90,000 mile service over Winter Break sometime. I'll scan their sales lot really well for any new entries. BTW-Kia's Rio for 2006 looks hot! The more I look at the 2005 Sportage the more I like it. I think that compared to my '01 Sport 4x4 it will ride like a car. The old Sportage design is a tad on the crude side. The funny thing about that rig is that at times it rides so smooth I can hardly hear the engine! It's built solid, too, much like a little Jeepster-tank. I'm lookin' at the tC from Scion or this new Kia Sportage for my replacement rig(be that whenever it may be-it could be a long while still before I trade).

service today and talked to a salesman aboout the new 2005 Sportage. He said theirs are coming in in February.

The 2005 Kia Sportage will have power sunroof standard on the EX V6 model only. A/C will be optional on the LX I4 2WD manual transmission model(the one I'm interested in)and cruise control will be standard equipment on the LX V6 and EX V6 models. It'll also have some nice safety features such as six airbags and side curtains. The airbags and seatbelts will be built with a sensor system that will work in conjunction with each other. They will gauge the severity of an impact, detect whether you're buckled up and then respond to a collision accordingly. 2005 Sportage's will also have standard anti-lock brakes. Sensors will monitor each wheel, and if one is on the verge of locking, the brakes are pumped. This helps you maintain the ability to steer during hard braking and gives you better control in an emergency. Standard equipment also includes Traction Control System(TCS), which detects and corrects wheel spin for superior traction. The standard Electronic Stability Program(ESP)provides better directional stability to help you maintain control in the event of a severe skid. Four-wheel ABS is also standard as are 4-wheel disc brakes. That is a lot of safety-minded driving equipment standard equipment on this rig. BTW the '05 Sportage will also feature dual front seat-mounted side airbags as well as the advanced dual front airbags. Standard equipment is an AM/FM/CD stereo w/6 speakers. Power windows w/one touch driver's express down, and power door locks w/two-turn entry system are standard equipment. Also, you can now open up an upper glass flip-up tailgate now instead of flipping up the entire rear door. This allows you to load groceries and smaller items without opening up the entire rear door.

The 2005 Sportage also has a rear cargo under-lid compartment for storing small items and keep them from rolling around in the rear cargo area during travel. Roof rails come standard on all Sportage trim levels. The spare tire is no longer stowed on the back of the SUV like the old model. It's now stowed under the cargo floor area.

It looks like I can get 2WD(FWD now, no longer RWD like on the old Sportage)with a 5-speed manual tranny and ask for Electronic-Control On-Demand 4WD as an option if I want. I don't have any idea how much that option will be but that might be nice-air conditioning is also optional on the LX I4 model, so I'd have to add that as an option as well. If A/C is around $1,000(pretty sure it will be)I may not even add the ECOD 4WD option. That remains to be mulled over once I get a firm idea how much each option will cost.

I asked him how much the Sportage will cost and it doesn't sound like that they really know at this time. He mentioned $18,000 as a base price estimate and that's probably pretty close to reality. It looks great in the brochure and two colors top my '05 Sportage favorite color list: Volcanic Red and Smart Blue. Both of those are metallic paint finishes.

• c14c14 Member Posts: 6
    The new Sportage will be the twin of the Hyundai Tuscon.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Tucson has a wider D pillar and the Sportage a wider C pillar. Hopefully there will never again be the kind of 1990's Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge duplication that occured with the Optima and Sonata, although the Tucson and Sportage are more alike than the Elantra and Spectra.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Posted on Kia website now
  • xvrmxvrm Member Posts: 10
    So, prices are posted. Are the new Sportages 'on the boats' or have one or two cleared port & landed at dealerships?? Just curious ....

Robt.

'02 4DR Base 4x4
  • ski2xsski2xs Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE TO CONFESS I DO WORK FOR A KIA DEALER AND HAVE FOR A YEAR NOW. WHEN MY WIFE TO BE, NEEDED A NEW CAR FOR HER NEW JOB THE SPORTAGE WAS THE OBVIOUS CHOICE. THE RIDE IS SO QUIET AND SMOOTH, I FORGOT IT WAS AN SUV. I DID DRIVE A CRV, RAV4, ESCAPE AND LIBERTY AND HAD NO DOUBT THE SPORTAGE IS THE BEST SMALL SUV IN THE MARKET. THE FEATURES ARE GREAT, AND THE STEREO IS NICE TOO. THE SPORTAGE HIT MY STORE ON THURSDAY AND MY HOME ON SATURDAY...
  • janeteditjanetedit Member Posts: 38
    I'm new to this site. Just got my '05 Sportage (Steel Grey) 3 days ago in Toronto, and already the ABS and ESP OFF warning lights come on and off intermittently. Took it to the dealer where they said it was just moisture in the sensors. Blew the moisture out, but the lights came on again on the way home.

Question 1: Anybody else experiencing this?

Question 2: Are my ABS and ESP systems not functioning properly when the sensors come on? Or is it really just "a sensor" problem.

J.
    Called the dealership this morning. They didn't blow the moisture out after all! They turned the ignition, no light came on, they sent me home. No wonder the warning lights still come on. I'm going back down this morning to make sure they blow them out, and put something in to stop the moisture from returning.

Does the word "intermittent" mean nothing to them?

Will keep you all posted.

Other than that...love my Sportage...it's a great little vehicle to drive.

J.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We're going to move this discussion to the SUVs board in a day or so. If you've subscribed to this discussion, nothing will change for you. If you haven't, please subscribe or bookmark it now. Otherwise, you can find it by searching for "sportage" using the tools at the left.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mvls1mvls1 Member Posts: 32
    Where exactly did you find one? None of the dealers in southern California have any and I would realy like to test drive one. Also, which model and options did you get?
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/05sportage.htm

Positive article, but the engine power issue is mentioned.

Fuel mileage is deemed "respectable", but the Edmunds Tuscon forum is definitely belly-aching about that topic right now! Here's a quote:

"The actual combined average gas mileage is 17 mpg. This is abysmal in my judgement and is my biggest complaint about the car since the sticker advertises 20 City and 26 Highway. The best I got was 22 mpg on a whole tank on the highway at 60 mph and using no AC. Help me understand how they can possibly advertise 26 Highway."

Edmunds Tuscon forum

out the door price? Did you get the 2WD without the Electronic-Control-On-Demand 4WD option or did you get the 4WD? I've got a sweet '01 Sportage 4x4 in Pepper Red and I've got my eye on this new Sportage for a possible replacement for mine.

BTW, congratulations on your new Sportage too! It's a great looking rig!

Also, is yours a manual tranny or an automatic?

Here we go onto phase 2. Turned out it was a rear wheel driver's side ABS sensor that was the problem. Also, they now have to replace the ECU (computer system).

I spent 7 hours at the dealership and was treated like a queen. Even gave me an empty office to do some work I had brought with me. Service manager let me borrow his own car to go and grab some lunch.

All well and good, but hopefully after tomorrow I'll be able to drive the thing with ABS and ESP operational...which is why I bought the Sportage in the first place.

Anybody else had this problem? Curious.

J.
  • rblankenshiprblankenship Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when the famous 2005 Sportage will arrive here in Southern California?

The reviews I have read are great, and I am waiting to get into one, but at the dealerships

in this area they are telling me "we don't know yet when they will arrive."

Also, if you have one already, is the speedometer illuminated during the day like the Pontiac Vibe? I think that looks cool, but I can't tell from the photos
  • ski2xsski2xs Member Posts: 3
    One week later, We still love our sportage. I bought the 4wd V6 EX automatic with the luxury package, everything I could get. I do wish it had a cargo tray already like the sorento. I have one on order though. As for price i got it all for just about $25,000.

Thanks for the interest I hope I can help you find one!!!
    back. I'm gonna stick with my '01 Sportage for as long as she drives like a champ and delivers the goods. We're at about 92,000 miles right now.

Enjoy your '05 and do chime in back here with progress reports with yours from time to time, OK? BTW-$25,000 isn't unreasonable considering what you get. The new Sportage has been packed with several safety features that are really cool to have. Enjoy!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "One of the first Chinese vehicles to hit U.S. dealerships could be a small SUV about the size of the Kia Sportage — and priced considerably cheaper."

Bricklin's China Partner Launches SUV (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    that is indeed interesting. Yes, I will be watching the Chery story and what becomes of the industry here in response to it. 30% lower prices won't work with all Americans but it will with huge amounts of them. Huge. BTW-the pic of the small SUV looks attractive to me. Very interesting developing story here! 2007 isn't that far away.

With Bricklin's track record, well, we'll see. I think I'd rather be an early adopter with a Kia - say with one of these!

The Chery name's gotta go too.

Steve, Host
    regarding Malcolm is, umm...Yugo...and, well, you know! I do like the new '05 Kia Sportage a lot. As a current '01 Sportage 4x4 owner who is really happy with it, I have a lot of interest in what both Kia and Hyundai are brewing up with fuel-cell technology Tucson's and Sportage's. I didn't realize they were working on that project with their smaller SUV's. I knew Hyundai was working on a fuel-cell project with their Santa Fe SUV in the Southern California area.

• pearcepearce Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Where are you from? I would really like to test drive one also. Are they here in Southern California? Dealership said the 20th of Febuary. Haven't seen them yet. Let us know how well you like yours. Do you have any problem with the sensor abs? Thanks, pearce
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    1972-- "Don't buy that unreliable Japanese junk..."
    2001-- "Don't buy that unreliable Korean junk..."
    2008-- "Don't buy that unreliable Chinese junk..."
    Well, here I am back again. They put in the new computer, replaced the sensor. The ABS and ESP lights actually stayed off for 4 days. Now they're back on. Took it back to the dealer. They all looked at me like deer in the headlights. Now the Service guys are saying it is something to do with the wire harness.

So I got the car brand new on Feb. 11...and have driven it for 5 days total out of 12. The rest of the time it's been sitting at the dealer.

Looks like we'll be seeing a lawyer.

This thing is a total lemon.

Don't buy it ... beware...

LX V6 FWD.
    A bit off-topic, but followers of Brickin's career may enjoy it:

Q&A with Automotive Maven Malcolm Bricklin (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    Here we go again. Now they're saying it was a crack in the hub allowing moisture to come in and cause a short, thus making the ABS and ESP lights come on.

This is strike three for us.

We have had the vehicle here at the house for only 5 out of 14 days. That's right. We picked it up for the first time 2 weeks ago today.

Do not buy one.

Is there anyone else out there experiencing the same problem? Any tips appreciated.
  • birdie1birdie1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm sorry that you've obviously purchased a "lemon". Perhaps they should altogether replace your vehicle. I've heard noting but great reports from people who have purchased them. I hope that the issue gets resolved.

Sincerely
    Too late, I already bought one and so far no problems. I would certainly be frustrated if I were in your position because we NEED our vehicle every day. Is the dealer not providing you with a loaner while they sort out the problem and get it fixed? If not I would be ALL over them! As to if you bought a lemon or not, time will tell. This being such a new model for Kia, it may be that the service techs will have a learning curve with regards to problems like yours that pop up. On a positive note, it could turn out to be something very simple causing the problem and once fixed everything will be fine from there on out. In any case, I would probably stick with it for about a month as long as they gave me something decent for a loaner, then it would be time to get heavy handed with them. In the mean time think of all the miles you are putting on their vehicle instead of yours! Keep us posted please.
    I have to admit it I'm forcing myself to read the stories about his venture. Tell ya what, I liked the picture of the SUV from China that was apparently the type of rig Malcolm has under his wing and will import here. If a SUV like that sold for, umm, $12,000 or $13,000(or less, of course)I'd give it a test drive at least. This '05 Kia Sportage in 5-speeds and 2WD with possibly the part-time AWD option has my most direct interest right now for replacing my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 in a year or two.

Steve, keep plopping the Malcom/Chery updates in here, OK? They're always entertaining!

• timatima Member Posts: 3
    Where are these KIA's assembled? I know we purchase what seems like everything from China, but I would not purchase an auto.
    They have no track record!
    They are currently assembled in South Korea.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    An auto writer for a large U.S. newspaper is looking for a few recent Hyundai or Kia buyers to ask them what they think of their cars. He's also is interested in talking to those who are thinking of buying a Hyundai or Kia. His deadline is Friday, March 4. If you're interested in being interviewed for his story, please respond to Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rblankenshiprblankenship Member Posts: 2
    I drove the 4-Cyl and the 6-cyl. The 4-cyl engine noise was a little loud when I hit the gas. The seat adjustment for the driver is two big wheels on the side of the seat, they are hard to turn. The back seats automatically drop down when you fold the rear seat down, that is cool because they fold completely flat in one motion. I drove one at night, and the gauges are illuminated green, which looks old-fashioned, plus they were too dim. The 6-cyl moves quicker and the one with leather seats looks nicer inside, but still those gauges are pretty old-looking. But the back seats have a lot of room, the car height is nice, and it looks cool. I am still thinking about buying, but one dealer told me $21,000 and another one told me $18,000.
  • phewitt1phewitt1 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of buying a new sportage 2005 2.00 dieselbut am not sure of Kias build quality and reliabity.
    Can you help me as I notice that you gabe good reports on the Edmunds site web page.
  • phewitt1phewitt1 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of buyinga 2005 kiasportage butdo not know about Kias build Quality.
    I will be towing a caravan(Small) and hope to buy a 2.00 disel unit.Can anybody out there help me please to make up my mind.
    I have a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 and my wife and I towed 1,000 lbs. in our 4x8 utility trailer from the Pacific NW to the Midwest. The Sporty did very well...it has the 2.0L I-4 cyl. engine with 130hp. I slowed down over steep mountain passes but kept pushing the little SUV and I think it would have towed 500 more lbs. As for the new Sportsman I wouldn't discredit it's towing ability without hearing from someone who's bought one and already started towing with it. That might be a little hard to find with the rig being so new. I'm sure it's up to the task, though.

Kia SUV is big on safety
    By Anita Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.cfm?id=18854

EXCERPT

"The Sportage, with its beefier appearance characterized by flared wheel arches, makes the Escape look almost puny. This second-generation Sportage is larger than the previous model, with distinctive looks and personality.

The adjective that most buyers used to describe the old Sportage was "cute," Kia says. The new Sportage is almost too substantial to be called cute anymore. Perhaps handsome?

But it wasn't until I got behind the wheel and started to navigate San Francisco's confusing streets with their serpentine turn lanes that I became sold on the Sportage"
    2005 Kia Sportage
    Load it Up: An extended makeover creates the comeback Kia

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101841

EXCERPT(S)

"The Sportage appeared and felt well built, as have other recent Kias. The instrument pod is user-friendly, and the interior is conveniently functional. The 60/40 split back seats allow plenty of legroom for six-footers and can recline up to 18 degrees."

"Besides the standard features, warranties up to 10 years/100,000 miles, and improved quality and design, Kia, which has been selling cars in the United States since 1994, has a traditional ace in the hole. Though it might not match or exceed its rivals in resale value and in some performance or quality categories, Kia still brandishes slimmer price tags. That should keep the local car dealer shouting."
  • johng4johng4 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a Sportage in Allentown, PA. Edmunds needs to update their market value program for a FWD V6 EX. I did my best with the Edmunds prices I had! This one is a V6, auto, FWD, ABS, A/C, power windows/locks, heated outside mirrors, AM/FM/cass/CD/MP3, keyless entry, leather-wrapped steering wheel, cruise, floor mats, privacy glass, fog lamps, and sunroof. MSRP was $20,589. I didn't haggle much and got it for $19,970. I think I left money on the table. What a sweet ride home - drives like a dream...a real quiet dream.
    what color did you get?

Post back here your experiences with your new Sportage, OK? They are really nice looking rigs.
    Congratulations!

• carshopper7carshopper7 Member Posts: 1
    Did you happen to compare the 05 Sportage to the Hyundai Tucson? I would like to hear your feedback about your car as you continue to drive it some more. My concern is that the Sportage in the past had many problems and there isn't any crash tests or Consumer Reports about the realiability. I would be interested in your feedback and others on the 05 Sportage and Hyundai Tuscon. Thanks.
    We have had our Sportage for 18 days and just hit 2000 miles. So far, everything is working as it was designed to. The engine has plenty of power for city and freeway driving, although I do find it is a little noisier on the freeway than our '99 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.3 V6 - 200,000 mi). The transmission operates smoothly and contrary to some reports does not hunt around for the proper gear. The seats are comfortable (front and rear) for the driving we are doing (up to 75 miles one way). We love the stereo system! It is more than adequate for this vehicle. The cruise control took a little getting used to, but works flawlessly holding the set speed uphill as well as it does on flat roads. The auto dimming rearview mirror is GREAT, but I am finding it difficult to adjust to it's smaller area. That should get resolved with more time behind the wheel. The smaller cargo area is also forcing some lifestyle adjustments (wife/daughter haul around a lot of gear).

Day to day use has been very satisfying to this point. The one area that I can't put my finger on yet is the fuel consumption. City driving seems to really eat the gas, especially with the a/c running. On the other hand, freeway driving has surprised us averaging 24 mpg or better. The last 75 mile freeway trip (cruise control set at 68 mph) averaged 28.4 mpg! I will be changing the oil over to full synthetic and hope to improve overall fuel economy slightly.

How about all you new owners posting your MPG figures and anything you have done to improve them. Gas is going no where but UP!
    I compared the Sportage and Tucson in the Hyundai Tucson forum here on Edmunds. If you are interested go to msg #438 on the Tucson forum. My wife wanted a SUV after driving mini vans for the last 14 yrs. I did quite alot of research on and off line before purchasing our Sportage. After driving the Tucson and the Sportage, we were convinced that quality was not an issue as long as you maintain the vehicle. Specifically I mean drain/change oil/transmission fluids and filters regularly as outlined. Also replace the air filter as often as necessary to keep dirt out of the engine, but no less than as outlined. Don't forget to CHANGE the TIMING BELT (before it breaks and causes major damage) as required. If you do these few things religiously along with the other recommended maintenance items, the likelihood that you will get 200,000 miles out of the engine improves greatly.

I have 200,000+ miles on 1) 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 V6, 2) 1989 Mazda B2200 4 cyl. , 3) 1987 Toyota flat bed truck 22R 4 cyl. with several other vehicles between 100,000 - 150,000 miles still in use.