Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    mvls1. What were you getting around the city? You mentioned it consumed gas, but what did you calculate. Curious! I am shocked at what kind of highway mileage you are getting. I have not seen those high of numbers between this board and the Tucson board.
  • knighthawkeknighthawke Member Posts: 5
    From Action News 10 WTHI

You count on your car to keep you safe in an accident, but could the car you're driving be deadly? A new list is out tonight, naming the deadliest cars in America.

Tom Simmons calls his Chevy Cavalier reliable, but a new list calls it deadly. Simmons says, "It's just a car, it gets me around, hope it don't kill us."

But other drivers are concerned. Regina Washington drives a Blazer. She says she'll, "Slow down a little more, I'm kind of a lead foot, so I don't want to roll over or anything like that."

The five most deadly cars are a Chevy Blazer, Mitsubishi Mirage, Pontiac Firebird, Kia Rio, and Kia Sportage. But just because you drive a dangerous car doesn't mean you're doomed to die. For example, a Chevy Blazer is the deadliest car, but it's also a car that would appeal to young men, who are usually more dangerous drivers.

The best way to stay safe is defensive driving. Sergeant Joe Watts with the Indiana State Police says, "Pay attention, be vigilant about your driving habits, know what you can do with your vehicle and what you can't do."

And because a lot of deaths are caused by roll-overs, experts say you should guard against those too. Watts says, "A lot of those accidents come from people leaving the roadway and then over-correcting as they re-enter. Just take your time re-entering the roadway."

The upside? Today's cars are safer than ever. That's good news for everyone on the roads no matter what car you're driving.

For more information on the safest and most deadly cars, click on the link below. Be patient, because the site takes a little while to load.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    but not very reliable and I always figures-- unsafe.

(sorry Iluv... know you like yours.)

Wonder why Kia retained the name?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    in what they originally built into the Sportage. I guess I view my Sportage as a reliable, efficient and handsome rig, and apparently lots of other individuals do, too. They just might not all be American. Sometimes I think we think we're the only ones driving rigs around on terra firma, but obviously it ain't true, gentlemen.

Viva Kia, bring on the new Sportsman.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    vehicles with the highest driver death rates (Inside Line)

Drive safely out there.

Steve, Host
  • lino1lino1 Member Posts: 2
    We were thinking of buying the new Sportage with the 4 cylinder motor, can anyone tell the real world of mpg considering higher gas prices? thank you in advance
    input who has bought a 2005 Kia Sportage with the I4 motor and either the auto or stick. What kind of fuel economy are you getting?

• w2323w2323 Member Posts: 60
    Well when I went to the Hyundai dealership I saw the Tucson in the showroom. The sticker price was in the 17's. I also noticed the mpg was like 22-27 which I thought well thats good. I later found out that the Kias invoice was starting in the 15's as the Tucson invoice I think was 16's so I went and test drove the Kia.

Well after having to listen to the salesman pitch which got on my nerves I found the following:

The base kia does not come with the following:
    Cruise control
    Keyless entry
    and I think foglights not sure but I'm sure theres more differences. The Kia dealership didnt have a brochere so I may never know.

Those items on the Tuscan base I consider pretty great for a base version and all I would ever want. The price in the 17's was also cheaper then the kia I test drove by 1000.00

I also read that the kias have been having trouble with the manual trans going out early in its life . Kia reps blamed it on driver error. A copout considering the number of complaints.

I was looking at the manual and would now advise anyone looking at this suv to go with the automatic.

Basically so you have your drivetrain covered the 10/100k without any bs story about being a bad shifter.

I feel thats very important for any new buyers....

I also didnt like the dealership, kept wanting me to get a loan when I told them I would pay cash. Just a big disappointment since I told them upfront I just wanted to test drive and not buy.
  • justbilljustbill Member Posts: 7
    I liked both.. but the Tucson's center console hit me just below the knee and after only a 2 mile test drive I was ready to walk back to the dealer.. no such problem in the KIA... anyway ended up with a EX FWD with Leather for $500 over invoice (after haggling with another dealer that wouldn't come off his $1800 dealer mark up "well we put on wind/rain visors and pinstripes"). We are in southern Alabama so didn't really need the AWD. Only had the KIA for 2 days now, but am happy with the decision.

Bill
    About the manual trans going out.

My mistake it was for a Hyundai Tiburon. Not the Tuscan.

I would not purchase a manual trans because of it regardless however.

Heres a link:

apollo2005, "Hyundai Tiburon" #380, 2 Oct 2004 11:41 pm
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I recently drove a Sportage LX 4WD V6, if anyone is interested here are my impressions:

backy, "The Forums Test Drive Team" #152, 19 Mar 2005 8:08 pm
    on the vehicle that I may very well buy next. Your review was both thorough and favorable for the compact SUV. The way this new Sportage is designed it doesn't look compact, almost, know what I mean? Kia has done a great job of modernizing the look to the Sportage, while leaving a good touch of "ruggedness" in the design. I think it's done beautifully.

As far as the negatives in your review, I don't think I'd worry about any of them. Remote locking isn't something I need. I will be looking at getting an LX 4 cyl.5-speed if I buy one and so it will not have the remote locking feature and that's cool with me. Your review of the ride sounds great-AAMOF my '01 Sportage is surprisingly quiet as well in the cabin. We don't have to raise our voices to talk while freeway driving-not at all. Our older model Sportage is very quiet but your report on the new '05 Sportage is very encouraging as well regarding road noise. I think I am getting the benefit of owning a Sportage that Kia had had a long while to perfect. The bugs were long gone by the time I bought mine in Sept.of 2001. I also think that the great review of the '05 Sportage shows that Kia has benefited from their alliance with Hyundai and the initial '05 Sportage will already be built well and hold up well. The stereo sounds like it will be adequate OEM and the ride and handling sound very encouraging. Thanks for the great review, backy.

Oh, all the faux aluminum trimming and touches here and there sound cool, too. I tend to kind of like this new brushed aluminum trend going on-looks good to me. Doesn't matter if it's real or not-notta big deal to me.

• toto2toto2 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any problems with the sunroof. Hyundai Tucson has had some problems with leakage and was wondering if Sportage has had similar problems
  • pdc2pdc2 Member Posts: 15
    there is a recall news item dd. Mar. 31, which seems fairly serious - see the forums, suvs - hyundai tuscon vs other crossovers/suvs.

waiting for the actual recall notice might take some time.
    I went to the NHTSA website and looked up recalls on the Kia Sportage and found the above (Campaign ID # 05V120000)... Called Kia and basically what they told me was if the car was manufactured between Nov '04 and Feb '05, it would be included in the recall. I gave her my VIN # and she said yep, I was included and would be receiving a recall notice and they are recommending to their customers to turn off the ESP until you get the recall done...

Call Kia and give them your VIN
  • harold_torontoharold_toronto Member Posts: 3
    Thank's for the details on the safety recall info "justbill"
    I just picked up my new Sportage (Steel Grey FWD LX-V6) this past thursday.
    Mine was made in January so it is probably affected. I'll have to call Kia on Monday & confirm. In the meantime I will indeed shut off the ESP.

I was surprised that the NHTSA remedy is described as simply a reprogramming of the control unit. If the Yaw sensor is faulty I would have expected it to be replaced. If you reprogram a control system to ignore sensor problems it would seem to me that you might have reduced system performance. This is something I will ask Kia about, it should be an interesting challenge to get more details from them.

I haven't put enough km's on it to comment on fuel efficiency but the ride & handling so far are great. I am very happy with my choice. The only real competition for me was the CRV but the glove compartment on the passenger side is so low i crack my shins on it and can't stretch out my legs even with the seat fully back. That would not be much fun on a long trip.
    yaw sensor isn't faulty. The reprogramming of the control unit just assures that the yaw sensor won't trigger a response when it isn't justified. That is how the press release or article I read earlier today stated the problem. Ask several questions when you're at the dealer but the control unit reprogramming sounds like the correct fix for this. Post back how it goes, OK, haroldtoronto? I am keenly interested in anything '05 Sportage-ish. ;)

even with a pending recall. I am finding the Sportage more enjoyable with every drive... finally got a chance to get out on the interstate this weekend and with the AC off and a slight tail wind, the trip computer was showing 26.2mpg at 70mph... made a 100 mile round trip that included about 20 miles of stop and go and averaged (according to the computer) 23.4mpg. I passed a semi by hitting the accel on the cruise control and was pleasantly surprised at the 70 -80mph acceleration.. no rocket sled, but no slouch either..

The ride was comfortable enough for a cross-country if needed... (I am 6'2" 240lbs and the Sportage still "fits" me). My other vehicle (and was my only transportation for the past two years) is a 2003 Dodge 2500 long wheel base pickup with a Cummins diesel... so saying the Kia fits me is done from that perspective. I guess time will tell (as in all things) on the long term reliability, etc, but for now I am extremely happy with my choice.

Bill
  • janeteditjanetedit Member Posts: 38
    Well, here we are back again. Once the dealership fixed the minute crack in the wheel hub assembly, no more moisture got in, so no more ABS and ESP lights coming on and staying on.

Then tonight I read about the recall. Will have to get that looked at.

I've had my steel grey/V6/FWD baby now since Feb. 11. And I'm loving it. It has been working fine, and I love the way it just chewed through snow on the weekend, uphill and everything. And without my snow tires (husband jumped the gun on removing those I think...I live north of Toronto).

Mileage for me has been (now this is in kilometres) about 520km to the full tank of 65 litres. This is on the HWY. I have no idea whatsover how this translates to MPG. Sorry. All I know is that it's cheaper than my 10-year-old Plymouth Voyager.

Will keep you all posted on my adventures. This little SUV is amazing. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Happy travels...

:shades:
    I don't get it. Why do you say your Sportage is a lemon?
    That' s what our lawyer was calling it. At the time it appeared that it was. Things have been fixed now.

I bought my Kia on Feb. 4 and we had problems with the ABS and ESP sensors coming on and disengaging both ABS and ESP (see my earlier posts from Feb.) The dealer didn't know what the problem was, and for the first 2.5 weeks of owning the vehicle, it was in the shop for 11 days.

However, they finally found the problem (minute crack in the wheel hub assembly), put on a new one, and no problems since.

At the time, our dealership was giving us the runaround, and we had consulted a lawyer, who was saying it was a lemon. We were beginning to believe him. After 4 visits to the dealership to figure out the problem, they finally did.

Very happy with the car now. Very very very happy. Love it.

Hi Harold_Toronto,

I live in Orangeville. Just spent the last 45 minutes checking into the Canadian recall. Called Kia Canada, Kia USA, the NHTSA, back to Kia Canada, Kia USA, and finally KIA Canada again. Whew!

Kia USA and the NHTSA had no information about recalls on Canadian Sportages. Kia USA said that if the car was purchased in Canada, if Kia Canada didn't have the recall information, then it only applied to cars sold in the States...but that I'd have to check with Kia Canada.

Kia Canada hadn't heard of the recall.

I had to direct them to the NHTSA website!

Kia Canada then caught her breath and said that because the cars are made for different countries, that the Canadian ones may not be affected. (I can't see that the engines would be that different.)

Let me know what you find out. In the meantime, my ESP is off!

:confuse:
  • harold_torontoharold_toronto Member Posts: 3
    I have had a similar experience calling Kia Canada/Kia USA/NHTSA etc.
    NHTSA recalls do apply only to vehicles sold in the US.
    For vehicles sold in Canada the government body responsible for issuing safety recall notices is: Transport Canada - Recalls, www.tc.gc.ca, 1-800-333-0510

When I spoke with them they indicated that they are aware of the NHTSA recall and that Kia Engineering has been in contact with them to advise them that this condition may affect vehicles in Canada. TC (transport Canada) is currently waiting for confirmation from Kia Engineering as to the specifics. (Vin #'s quantity, dates etc.)
    They suggested contacting them weekly for updates. (I was a nice surprise to deal with a government office that was polite informed and helpful; Kudos to them).

Since US and Canadian Sportages have different options packages they are likely built in separate batch runs. So the US serial number and Date ranges may not apply to Canada. But until I get confirmation I also have ESP off just in case.

Drove the Sportage downtown today, it dealt very well with the potholes and streetcar tracks. My only complaint is that my wife get's to drive it more than I do.

p.s. Glad to hear your Sportage is working better, excellent choice of colour too.
  • montreal_v6montreal_v6 Member Posts: 9
    Hello every one!
    I couldn't find any other site than this one that have so many of interest on Sportage.
    I got my V6 EX at 25/03 at Montreal.
    and now I'm geting almost 800 km and the FC is at 13.7L/100km

I alredy called my dealer and KIA Canada but they don't have more information than we have here.
    But Harold from Toronto has more information than me so Thank you Harold for ssharing you info!
    so just in case I'll turn off my ESP also till foruther notice
    Thank you
    Hi Harold,

Kia Canada Consumer Affairs e-mailed me to confirm there are "no outstanding recalls" on the 2005 Sportage. I e-mailed Transport Canada yesterday, who mailed me back today, saying that there is no recall *currently* but that they have been in touch with Kia and "hope to achieve success shortly."

So I called Seoul. I figured, Why not? The English-speaking Kia guy was late for his shift, so I spoke to the English-speaking Hyundai guy, who just happened to be the guy in charge of getting recall information out to England (that was his territory).

He said it was his understanding that recall information went out to North America "simultaneously," and the fact that nobody seems to have info on the Canadian recall, if it exists, is probably a good sign that there wasn't one. But he wasn't 100% sure.

However, he said he'd have the Kia guy call me when he got in. Which he did. I was surprised he called back, his English wasn't great, but he was very nice. Their computer system was down at the time, so he couldn't check my VIN #. Said he'd call back tomorrow with an answer.

Kia Seoul's number is 011 82 2 3464 1114. Just ask if anyone speaks English and that you're from Canada and would like information about the recall in the States.

I'll post back and let you know if I find out anything more.

Drove my car downtown yesterday, and forgot to turn off the ESP. Made it home in one piece. Hopefully we're not affected, but mine was produced Nov. 17, 2004, so who knows.

Fingers crossed!
    Yep! I got the same e-mail telling me that there's not a recall for Sportage yet. But at UK they release a recall for Sportage also this last week! So I really don't know what the Kia Canada are doing. The ESP doesn't change for the determinated country, it goes on all Sportage in series. Hoping to have an answer soon.
    cause I have to remember turn off the ESP eaxh time a use the car. :mad: :(
    Well it's confirmed. Transport Canada e-mailed me today saying, "Kia recalled the 2005 Sportage ESP on Friday, April 8, 2005."

That was it.

So I called Kia Canada. Same girl, said there were no outstanding recalls on 2005 Sportages. I told her Transport Canada had just e-mailed me with confirmation. She quickly put me on hold...for 5 minutes. Then came back and said that they have received no information, and because the recalls are VIN based, she couldn't tell me yes or no at this point, but that I was welcome to call back in a few days.

Whatever.

Then I called Transport Canada Recalls and Defects (1.800.333.0510) Talked to a really nice, on-the-ball guy there. I told him about my frustration, saying that we all knew about it, it had been recalled in at least England, Germany and the US, and yet Kia Canada claims to know nothing about it. He said that the Consumer Affairs person I spoke with would be the last person to get any information on it. Kia Engineering Canada had been touch with Transport Canada, and had informed the government about the whole thing. Except which VIN numbers are involved.

He said the process takes about a month, by the time they write the software to fix the ESP, mail out the CDs, etc. I told him that was nuts. These fixes are already available in England. He really wasn't sure what would cause the lag time.

Anyway, after all that, I gave him kudos for getting back to me so quickly with the confirmation. For a government agency, I too was pleasantly surprised.

Oh, by the way, my dealer also hadn't heard anything. Time will tell. ESP is still off in my Sportage. Wish they'd get this all sorted out. I love driving that thing.

Of course if you read my earlier posts in February, I received a new and reprogrammed computer, when they were figuring out my ESP/ABS light problem. Whether that fixes this particular ESP problem remains to be seen.

That's it for now, will let you know if/when I hear anything more.

Saw the Tucson up close yesterday. Looks like a shortened Sante Fe from a distance. Like the look of the Sportage much better.

;)
    Well I could bealive that we have some days of differences for the recall, but I can not believe if they syas that they have to programm the esp PROGRAM.
    Come on, all the ESP are the same for every single SPORTAGE, the road are made the "same way" Sportage or any car run in asphalte. So, if at STATE, UK, Germany they already recalled and fixing the problem, I can not understand why here in Canada we are "SPECIAL".
    now I got 10.3L/100km on highway the short trip that I made this last weeked to Ottawa. and city mixed highway at 12L/100km.( now 1450km AWD XE V6
    How about your's?
    hoping to hear about any news concerning the canadian recall. :sick:
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    My wife just bought an EX 4WD Sportage. Not enough experience (50 miles) to rate this vehicle yet. The fit, finish and overall quality seem wonderful. We looked at the CR-V. For around the same price the CR-V had little in the way of options to make it equal to the EX. The Sportage rode better, was more quiet and more powerful than the CR-V. Now if only Kia had the legendary Honda quality for the long haul. The salesman at the Honda store tried to knock the Hyundai and Kias by saying only people form the lower socio-economic class buy those products, therefore their opinions mean nothing. How demeaning and stupid? The guy does not know me from Adam. I could be on welfare. Really turned us off to Honda.
    Congreat! And I can tell you ! Honda was a very bad car, people haave very chort term of memory! Honda made up only this last 8 to 10 years. but KIA and Hyundai they are also at same history at theire own country, so we can conclude that no matter the thechnology or design and safty they are similar.
    And Yes the ride is not difference than Nissan X-Trial or CR-V (I tested)
    Enjoy it !! :D
  • dmartin4dmartin4 Member Posts: 1
    Kia's are just as nice as honda's! They just have a bad rep they are still trying to overcome. People forget that makers like Toyota and Honda started out like Kia, a small foreign car manufacturer with one or two car lines! The new sportage has the most standard features for the best price, you definently picked the right vehicle!
    beautiful 2005 Kia Sportage. I'm looking at either a '05 Kia Sportage or a '05 Scion tC for our next new car, but with no pressure whatsoever to trade our '01 Sportage 4x4 in for one of them. When the timing is just right, with just the nice and neat little budge I need from somewhere I'll pull the trigger. I would get the 2WD FWD Sportage with the 5-speed tranny. Those are retailing for $15,999, but that's without air conditioning if I'm not sadly mistaken. A/C is a must in the MidWest, so that would have to be an option I would select when purchasing. I saw my first '05 Sportage pulling up to a drive-thru line at one of the McDonald's in Jefferson City, MO. It was a bright white one, a very powerful and striking looking rig. Very nice. I remain very interested-this SUV has a lot of safety equipment standard and I think it's gonna help build Kia's popularity even more as the company gears up for a large Spectra5 ad campaign.

• spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    artgpo said:
    The salesman at the Honda store tried to knock the Hyundai and Kias by saying only people form the lower socio-economic class buy those products, therefore their opinions mean nothing. How demeaning and stupid? The guy does not know me from Adam. I could be on welfare. Really turned us off to Honda.

For the record, I am one consumer that proves that the Honda salesman you spoke with is full of excrement!

I am a data systems professional pulling down $80k+ annually, and living in a $300K+ home. I am a professed "car nut", and previously spent nearly 10 years working for one of the "Big 3" as a contract programmer.

What car did I purchase 9 months ago, and am extremely satified with?

A KIA Spectra EX!

Always, ALWAYS, cast a jaundiced on ANYTHING a salesperson says about the competition.

Thanks for sharing that info, artgpo!

-SM
    While I will not discuss income, I can safely say we are very upper middle class. I was insulted by the Honda salesman. Had I been a person of lesser means I don't think I would have been more insulted than I was.

Kia has a new Sedona coming this Fall and I for one will be waiting to see how it works. First though, the Sportage will have to prove itself to me.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I always have said sales people are the incompetents who have no skills except
    deceit.Word of mouth is the best sales tool.I get a ton of junk mail and don't even look at it.I use consumers report to get the truth.I had a Honda CRV and after
    2 years it was wearing out prematurely so I traded it for a Highlander.I expect a
    car to look and feel like new after 5 years if taken care of.My Acura TL is of this caliber.60K miles and not a rattle sqeak or drip.Honda can make good cars and
    so can Hyundai.Maybe it comes down how the dealer treats you after the sell. :
    You should also look at the Hyundai Tucson the twin of the Sportage as all of them come standard with remote entry and cruise control as well as a few other items. For what I think is a better price for some odd reason.

Also since both come with 10 year/100mile drivetrain. I'm stearing away from the manual. As I have heard from Hyundai Tiburan customers that dealerships are trying to blame early clutch failure on bad driving and not covering them. Why take a chance and not have the 10/100 cover everything by getting a 5 speed.

I like 5 speeds as well but taking a chance on not covering a part is more important to me. Hope its helpful
    But please don't forget that Tucson doesn't have the SRS as standart and the interior , Sportage just is superior than Tucson!
    Chenk it out! ;)
    If SRS = Supplemental Restraint System, in the U.S. the Sportage and Tucson are equal on that score--both have front side bags and side curtains. Also both have stability control. The Tucson has A/C standard, the Sportage does not. But I agree, the Sportage's interior (and exterior IMO) looks better than the Tucson's. If only Kia would count Hyundais towards their loyalty rebates, or challenge rebates. Hyundai owners seem to be on No Man's Land with Kia. :(
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Lots of Sportages' in the lot down at the Port of Tacoma, Washington.
    Tacoma is the port of entry for the Sportage.
  • kingdavid1kingdavid1 Member Posts: 2
    3/25/05, Picked up my new "Steel Silver" Sportage. Fresh off the truck, my sales person, stashed it away for me. Here's my take on how to deal with the dealers. Come right out and tell them "specifically" what you want; in other words, make your list up before you go face to face with the sales person. Be firm, but not rude, don't act like you can't live without the vehicle. When you have given them the information, see if they have "exactly" what you want. If they don't, tell them to call you when they do, and WALK out the door. Your job is done ! You're the customer, it's their JOB to get you the product. DON'T SETTLE! Come right out and tell them what you'll pay... trust me, they hate people who know exactly what the want and won't settle but they'll get it for you anyway. Right after you leave the dealer if they don't have "exactly" what you want, send KIA Customer Satisfaction an E-mail, detailing exactly what you want, YES, right down to the color. That's exactly what I did and in less than two (2) hours I get a call from them. Funny how they tell you the "allotment" story, just like the sales guy at the dealer. Don't buy it, cause two days later, "MY VEHICLE" shows up at the dealer. So guess what... I bought it. BELIEVE IT OR DON'T RIPLEY... I PAID STRAIGHT INVOICE, PLUS I got the five hundred loyalty bonus as well, and I traded in my 2000 Focus to boot. My 05 Sportage is a great vehicle, new from the ground up, best build quality in the business, best warranty, great price for small SUV. Go get one for yourself... ;)
    Yup, we did the same thing. Told them exactly what we were willing to pay. They didn't like it all! Too bad. They ummed and ahhed, and then gave it to us for 23,500 CDN (asking was $24,995). Even at that they're still making money. And we didn't trade any vehicle in. Be tough. Stand your ground. Make them work for you.

By the way, you should check your VIN # with Kia USA to see if it's part of the recall there. Kia Canada still isn't saying anything official to owners, even though Transport Canada has told us that yes, there is a recall.

Go figure.

I love my Sportage. People all over town are asking me about it. It's kinda funny. What a joy to drive. I had a ten-year-old Plymouth Voyager, so to me this is like a luxury vehicle!

Janet
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • axguyaxguy Member Posts: 16
    I've only driven it about 40 miles but so far I love it. Got the EX with the luxury package. It's so nice. Now I want to buy all the accessories for it. Does anyone know where you can get discounted KIA parts?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
  • kingdavid1kingdavid1 Member Posts: 2
    Right On Janet... ($17700 USD) That includes the environmental package. And thanks for reminding me to check my VIN# for the recall. Happy Motoring all... :D
    I was in who had a new '05 Sportage. I asked him how he liked it-he said that it's nothing like the old Sportage and how they drive. I looked over at my '01 Sportage 4x4 and told him it was mine. He said the new ones are so comfortable to drive. His was an EX with automatic transmission. His was a very light green metallic color-it looked great. I asked him what Kia called the color and he couldn't come up with it.

Something interesting he noted about financing. He bought his at Lou Fusz Kia in St.Louis. They sold him a program where, if you pay an extra $20 a month, whenever you trade in again(for another Kia, of course!)they will waive any negative equity you may have at that time. Good program! So, on his '05 Sportage that he bought with 72 months of payments(same way I buy, my Scion tC or '05 Sportage purchase, whichever I decide to buy, will be 72 months of payments also)he will owe no negative upside-down equity at next trade-in time. I like that a lot and will probably get it if I choose an '05 Sportage as our next rig.

The Sportage loooked bold, aggressive and beautiful. Kia has done a fine job on this new pup.

• archangylarchangyl Member Posts: 1
    I all I was just curious if anyone has put an aftermarket radio in. Although the Stock radio is great and I don't have any problems except that I have an Alpine MP3 radio that I prefer. Can anyone point me to a place that might have an installation kit for an '05 sportage? I have looked at Best Buy, Ultimate Electronics, and googled it.
  • petec1petec1 Member Posts: 10
    Just read the largely favorable Car and Driver review online (http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=9396) noting that their only complaints were the seating (soft and tiring) and engine (underpowered). I have also read that Kia is already preparing a new engine for 2006. My own test drives confirm the observations in the article. That having been said, I wonder if I should delay purchase of a 2005 model and wait until next year's version, not knowing if the new engine?? will be available in time for the 2006 version. Absolutely LOVE this baby and am waiting to sell my current vehicle before purchase of the new Sportage, but I am intrigued by the prospect of a more powerful engine and hopefully, other refinements that I would suggest to Kia. The vehicle should have a telescoping steering wheel to get drivers of all sizes to find the "sweet spot" for their driving position and hopefully, a set of oversize outside mirrors to improve visibility. What say you about my observations , suggestions, and 2005 vs. 2006 quandry?? By the way, what have you heard about the 2006 model introduction date? Will it be late 2005 or later in 2006? Thanks for your thoughts!!
    My V6 EX model ( canadian) has the MP3 I don't know if yours are not with MP3. Did you check your dealer? don't install outside of dealer, it can cost you big money because you'll lose your warantie! becare ;) ful!
    I don't understand auto "critics". My wife has a new Sportage (EX 4WD, V-6). I see nothing underpowered about this vehicle. Where are these people conducting their tests, Indy? I remarked last night that the Sportage quickly accelerates and gets way beyond the speed limit if you don't pay attention. I am here to say that even with four adults on board, this thing moves out.

The Sportage is also has a very quiet interior. The seats take some adjusting to find the correct position but the driver's adjusts 8 ways so there just has to be a comfortable place for you.

Kia will make some tweaks over the next few years but the Sportage is going to be a huge winner if:
    1. It is durable
    2. When crash tested by IIHS it has high scores
    3. Consumer Reports scores it high.

Art