Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• ericf1ericf1 Member Posts: 54
    How does the Sportage go up against the 2006 Forester (new model)? They are about the same price, w/equivalent features.

I acutally like the Forester because it gets better gas milage and is not as big as a standard SUV.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    For one thing, the Sportage has a lot more rear-seat room and cargo space. Also, I don't think ESC and side curtains are standard on the Forester--or even available? The Forester has the benefit of Subaru's long experience with AWD and a very good reliability history--the Sportage is unproven there.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Our son and daughter-in-law had a new 1999 Forrester that was an absolute lemon. It soured all of us on Subaru. I realize that lemons can happen in any brand name but in this family the Japanese cars have had more problems than any others.

The Sportage is fine through almost 500 miles. When it has 10,000 the report card might change.
  • janeteditjanetedit Member Posts: 38
    Well, I've been on the phone and e-mailed Kia Canada again about the recall. To their credit, they do get back to me within 24-48 hours, so I'm not left wondering if they'll respond or not.

Trouble is, they keep saying the same thing:

"We cannot confirm if a recall will be applied to your vehicle until a recall has been officially released within Canada. Recalls are vehicle specific. If a recall is released on your 2005 Kia Sportage, you will receive written notification via mail."

So I told the person that Transport Canada told me the Consumer Affairs department in any car manufacturer is always the last to hear, so no wonder she hasn't heard anything. Earlier this month I had to direct her to the US recall information on the NHTSA site, and forwarded her an e-mail from Transport Canada indicating that Kia Canada had been in touch with THEM, saying that yes, there was a Canadian recall.

She just said she had not received any information on that.

Yeah, no kidding.

Why do they have to wait until something serious happens? I don't understand why it takes so long to get the info out there, when the fix is the same fix provided to the already-public recalls in Germany, England and the States? As far as I understand it, they simply take 90 minutes and download the software. Not rocket science.

I still don't know if all the reprogramming they did on my Sportage in Feb (see earlier posts) was for this problem or not. They then just replaced the computer. Am I driving a time bomb here?

I got rid of my '95 Voyager because it was starting to become unreliable with repairs. Now I'm back in the same boat?

Whew! Venting done! :sick:
    The 2006 Forester is completely updated for this year offering 173hp in the base model, and various improvements on the brakes, transmission, etc.

Not sure about the airbags though- it has head and torso side-airbags and scored "GOOD" on the side impact tests. Not bad even without curtains.

Price-wise it will be intersting to see how close the base-model '06 Forester comes to the AWD V6 Sportage. If it came down to it, I'd rather purchase a Subaru over a Kia.
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    Does the 05 Sportage have an outside temp. gage somewhere? Included in with the radio functions? Dealer could not find one. Was an EX model with the Luxury Pkg.
    Well, it's finally out in Canada. Recall Number TC2005102

See Transport Canada at http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/

"On certain vehicles, while cornering under conditions where Electronic Stability Program (ESP) activation may not be needed, a sensitive ESP may cause the engine to reduce power and the brake at one of the wheels to be applied without brake pedal application by the driver. This may cause the vehicle to slow and may affect the path that the vehicle is traveling. Brake application caused by inadvertent ESP activation may result in a crash. Correction: Dealers will reprogram the ESP Hydraulic Electronic Control Unit (HECU)."

So it's been out for at least a month in the rest of the world; why so long for Canada? Hopefully nobody has been hurt. I've fired off an e-mail to Kia Canada to see what they say about my Sportage. Also, my dealership promised to keep me informed. We'll see how long it takes for them to get back to me.

Still floors me that I've known about the Canadian recall for ages, and Kia Canada refused to say anything. We threatened to go to the media if nothing were done by May 15th. Doubt that had anything to do with the timing, but just glad it's out there before someone does get hurt.

Still love my car. Took it to Niagara Falls for a mum's weekend away with my best friend, and it drove like a charm (ESP off of course), and it handled the torrential rain/snow like a dream. Let's hope this is the last problem (fingers crossed).

Janet
  • harold_torontoharold_toronto Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for breaking the News about the Canadian recall for the ESP finally coming out. (a full month after the US recall notice). Now we need to see how long it takes for the dealers to be ready to fix it.
    (Note, my salesman claimed the condition had already been fixed before i took possession in March. But he had no proof or papers to back his claim....I think i will insist on documentation for this kind of a thing. If it turns out the fix was not yet done I will have to file a complaint against the salesman. To mislead someone on a safety recall is a serious issue IMO)

Have any of you US Sportage owners had the recall condition repaired yet ?
    I would like to hear any feedback on how it went, simple or a headache.

Still loving my sportage, It handles the endless rains of spring without any problems and on a long drive the reclining back seat is a great place for the passenger to nap.
    :)
  • mvls1mvls1 Member Posts: 32
    Had my sportage recall work done 2 weeks ago. It was very easy and took around 30-45 minutes total. The service department was good about getting me in and out with the least amount of inconvenience. The only thing is, I am not sure how you can tell if the new software was actually installed correctly and if the system is now working properly. Most computers have a way of checking what version of a program has been installed and is currently running on the system. Does anyone know of a way to verify that the system has been updated correctly?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    if your Sporty's driving fine, just trust them to have done the job right. There's probably no way for you to check to be sure, anyway.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    I am in the same boat you are, or on the same fence, I should say. I am cross shopping the Hyundai/Kia "twins" vs. Subaru Forester, already own a 98 Forester, looking for a replacement. I test drove the Hyundai and was impressed with the build quality and performance. The Kia interior is much better designed than the Tucson. Content wise the "twins" got just about everyone beat, Subaru just can't come close. Value proposition based on price/content alone you just can't beat a Hyundai/Kia. Long term reliability is a contentious issue right now, the "twins" have make great strides in initial quality, but since they have been updating their line up so rapidly in a short amount of time there are no hard long term data to compare against Subaru. I trust Subaru whole heartly, I know they will back me up if dealers give me a hard time (personal experience). I can't say the same with Hyundai due to lack of experience.

The 06 Forester does look interesting, and that moon roof! (where is that drool emotioncon??) That is why I am putting off my purchasing decision until it hits showrooms in June and I can test drive one. That's about the only thing that's keep me from biting the bullet and buying one of the 'twins'

The new H-4 with VVT is the golden apple, although I still wish they would put a 5 speed auto in there, same goes for the 'twins'. 4 speed autos are so yesterday, but I must say any 5 speed must be geared correctly or it wouldnt' be any better than a 4, maybe better fuel economy.

I love Subarus and will always have one in my stable but the 'twins' are really ramping up their game. And with Subaru moving their product lines upmarket it leaves them with out a true contender for this particular price point, too bad really, since Subaru will loose some potential buyers. The 06 Forester will probably not see any significant price increase over the 05s but its the 07 model year that will determine where the Forester is headed price point wise since it will be a complete redesign fully integrating the new corporate front facia design.

Mike
    If you are going to wait for the '06 Forester then you might have a Sportage with more power available. Rumors in the press that Hyundai/Kia will use their new engines in the Tucson and Sportage. Those include a 162 hp 2.4L I4 and the new 3.3L V6 from the Sonata. What a great package that would be, the 3.3L in the Tucson and Sportage. Then you wouldn't hear the auto press say they are "underpowered"!
  • smartypantzsmartypantz Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, who has driven one of these? Advice appreciated on pros & cons of a manual over the automatic in this family.. I have always preferred maual because a few years out its cheaper to redo the clutch than to buy a new automatic transmission..

B
    OTOH, the automatic is warranted for 10 years/100k miles while the wear components (like clutch pressure plate) of the manual are warranted for only one year/12k miles.
  • smartypantzsmartypantz Member Posts: 3
    OK good point.

But up here in Canukistan the Kia warranty is good for 100,000 Km which is about 60,000 miles. Kind of disparity like our dollar which is worth about 78 cents in greenback.

B
    Backy,

that is insteresting news, would you happen to know what is the typical time frame of Hyundai/Kia's new model introductions? Subaru introduces new models in June, if Hyundai/Kia introduces around the same time frame it may be interesting to compare 06 vs 06. If they introduce later I may be forced to pick 05 vs 06, since my deadline is early July.

Mike
    I have no idea what month the update will be done. Since the Sportage just came out a couple of months ago, I'd be surprised if there were big changes as early as July.
  • radarradar Member Posts: 6
    Just took delivery of our EX, what a nice vehicle. Took it out to Banff and got the average fuel mileage indicator as low as 10.8 l/100km; that is with 200 km on it. :)
    Does anyone has the hitch option and would know if there is a trailer wiring package available? (must be if you have a hitch)
    We were just over in Holland and heard that they are waiting between 6 months to (expected delivery) 1 year for a new sportage!
  • carrigancarrigan Member Posts: 5
    We just bought a black cherry 2005 Sportage EX here in Hawaii and so far everything is great. I'm over 6' 2" and have several inches of head room and plenty of leg room. We fit our two teenagers and 10 year old in the back without squeezing, and it does groceries better than our mini-van. The rear window hatch is better for piling in bags than the rear hatch of the van.

The only problem I'm having, although minor, is with the MP3 player. It doesn't seem to play MP3 disks even though it says it does on the window sticker. I get ERROR on the CD changer display and it ejects the MP3 disk. The manual for the 6 CD Changer says it doesn't play MP3 disks. If I had to choose I'd rather have the MP3 disk support than the 6 CD changer.
    Have you checked the owner's manual to see if there are any special conditions for the MP3 files it will play? The manual that came with the MP3 unit on our Hyundai talks about the specs for files it can play and can't play.

Interestingly, on the Kia web site it specifically mentions MP3 on the standard audio but does not mention it for the CD changer that comes in the EX luxury package. Is it possible the text on the window sticker refers to the standard audio? Or is MP3 mentioned on the line item with the luxury package?
    Does anyone out there know how to reset the default settings on the equalizer? I have looked in the manual and there's nothing. My husband and daughter have messed with the bass, so nothing sounds classical, jazzy or anything. Just bass, bass, bass. For everything.

:cry:

Hopefully it's not a "take it back to the dealer and have them reprogram the computer while they're handling the recall" situation. Kia Canada is STILL insisting my Sportage is not involved. It was built in November, one of the first.

Still waiting on that front...

:mad:
    The thing to remember is that Subarus come with AWD/ABS standard. By the time you add the v6/AWD/ABS package to the Sportage they are about in the same price range.

On top of that, since the '06 Forester has a v4 (w/173hp) it should get much better milage than the v6 equiped AWD Sportage.

I would also like to test drive both cars before deciding.
    ABS is standard on the Sportage also. As well as ESC and side curtains. Are those features standard on the Forester?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Vehicle Comparison Tool comes in handy for looking at feature sets (almost as handy as asking someone on the forums, lol).

Steve, Host
    beat me to it!. Plus its got electronic brake force distribution (EBD) I think in subaru only the H-6 gets that. The new H-4 is what intrigues me, with VVT MPG figures should increase over the 05. To be honest the Sportages MPG is what I cam getting now with my current 98L so its not a big deal for me, just cost a little more at fill up with that >17 gallon tank vs Subaru's 15.9 gallons. Both vehicles have great ergonomics in interior design. Seat fabric quality will probably go to Subaru but I am looking at leather so that doesn't matter. Seat comfort is important, cabin quietness at highway speed is important, passing power is important, reliability and quality are very important (Subaru has the edge here, for now at least), SUV seating height is nice, but I don't want that floating feeling I get with the CR-V. I get that feeling a bit with the Tucson, the sportage is supposedly more sports tuned, will find out during a test drive.

Dealers can't seem to keep the sportage on the lot, they are selling like hot cakes. Good thing I am not in that much of a hurry.

Mike
    internation site is NICE!! has anyone seen those? kiamotors.com why can't we get that interior? its much nicer than the monotone stuff we get.

Mike
  • seniorcitseniorcit Member Posts: 4
    The color you refer to is called "Champagne" here in Canada.

I have recently bought a 05 EX-V6 Sportage in this color and like it very much. This has to be the best finished vehicle I have ever owned and I have had quite a few, the attention to detail detail is amazing and I love the way it drives after the "Jimmy" I traded in for it.

The gas mileage is a good improvement also.
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    Anyone notice that the Sportage is now the only Kia without any kind of incentives / rebates on it? In April they had a $1000 owner loyalty rebate. Now, zilch. I was hoping for 0-1.9% financing and I would have taken the plunge.

The Tucson, otoh, had a $750 owner loyalty rebate in April, and they've now tacked on a $500 "regular" rebate on top of that for May.. Interesting, same parent company but different marketing strategies.
  • carrigancarrigan Member Posts: 5
    I checked the manual and it looks like I have the "subwoofer/external amplifier" audio system and not the MP3 audio system on the sticker, website, and ads. I contacted the dealer and they had me make MP3 disks with different brands of disk, even though the manual clearly says it doesn't support MP3. I've made about 10 disks so far, every which way I can think of -- even stripped the ID3v2 tags before burning. They all eject immediately, just like the manual says they will.

In their defense, nobody at the dealer has any idea what an MP3 is or how to burn an MP3 disk. When I asked if they had a sample disk to play in the vehicle they didn't. They're currently saying the model/serial on my vehicle shows an MP3 audio system, even though the actual model and manual say it's not. I think they're at a loss for what to do about it, I must either be the first to return it for an audio change or the first to notice.
    When you say in the same price range, how are you equiping the Forester? For me an 05 Forester would cost $22500 - $23000, with the cash rebate, before TTL, a Sportage EX V6 AWD with the Lux package would cost about $20000 - $20500, no rebate, before TTL. That's a $2500 difference, not counting the cost of the extended warranty I have to get with Subaru to have the same level of coverage I would have with a Kia/Hyundai.

But my heart and my brain is fighting it out right now over which vehicle to get, my financial side is telling me to go with the twins, my emotional side is telling me to go with Subaru. I can swing either way, so the 06 Forester really has to wow me or Kia comes out with some rebates, someone has to do something to tip the scale in my head one way or the other.

Car shopping was never this hard, two weeks ago I was dead set on a Subaru, then I HAD to go check out the Tucson, then just HAD to drop by the Kia dealer to see the Sportage...I tell ya, this curiousity thing, it makes my life harder every time...

Mike
    right, maverick? There's a lot of choices for the consumer these days, I know. Stick with it and you'll come up with your own personal best choice.

Here we go again.

Kia Canada called me to thank me for filling in my survey (2 months ago!). I asked them about the recall, and when would it be announced. She said she had no information on that. I said that technically it had been announced in Canada because it was listed on Transport Canada's website. I said this was a safety issue, and why are they sitting on it? It will soon be a legal issue if someone gets hurt. Mentioned it was already out elsewhere in the world, blah blah blah.

She went quiet, then said she had been given no information on a *release date*, asked me if I had any other questions, no, good-bye.

So I phoned Hyundai Canada who told me their recall notices were sent out already!

What is going on?

All you Canadian Sportage owners, start calling Kia Canada. This recall has to get out and the repair work has to get done before someone gets hurt or killed.

Janet

p.s. Kia Canada just e-mailed me again, saying the same old thing. Their key phrase every time is: "Once the details have been released, all customers included in a recall will receive written notification via mail."

So my question to them is, as always: When are you going to get the word out?
    Could it be that your vehicle is not included in the recall?
    Kia Canada's point today was that *nobody* has been contacted in Canada yet because they haven't got a release date.

Even if it turns out my vehicle isn't included based on the VIN #, I have a different ECU (ECM?) computer than the one originally installed in my vehicle. My original one was replaced during the whole set of problems I encountered when I first got it in Feb. (See my earlier posts from then.)

So once recall notices have been sent out, and Kia Canada lets the dealerships know what software they need to download to fix the problem (and they've probably already done that) I will have to go in anyway to get the ECU checked. My earlier problems involved the ESP and ABS.

I need to know when the fix is available so I can go to my dealer and get them to test for the problem and make sure the ECU is OK or needs to be reprogrammed (again!).

You guys down south are lucky. Seems that Kia USA is right on the ball.
    Hi again, Backy

Also, mine was produced in November, and when I called Kia in Korea last month, they confirmed mine would be involved, based on the production date.
    Try this: go to your dealer and ask them to perform the recall work. They shouldn't need a letter to do it; they should be able to look up the VIN and see that your car qualifies for the recall. I waited for a recall notice for the airbag software update on my '04 Elantra, but it didn't come and I wanted to get the recall done ASAP. So I called the dealer and asked if they could do the recall work. They said "sure", so I had the recall done during an oil change. I got the recall letter a few weeks later. I've done this with other cars too.
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    According to USA Today, the Sportage is fun to drive. But the engine and transmission need work

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2005-04-14-sportage_x.htm

-SM
  • seniorcitseniorcit Member Posts: 4
    Come over the border, I got 0% for 36 months on my sportage. Also think of the exchange rate you get on the U.S. dollar!
    Yeah, but Kia USA probably wouldn't honour the warranty (or vice-versa).

Speaking of dropping incentives on the Sportage, Toyota just increased theirs to pump sales. (Inside Line). Makes you say "huh."

Apparently Subaru is still ahead in CR's rating according to their April reliability article.

Re Kia's branding strategy vs Hyundai's, that's another thing that makes you say "huh," now that the Korean cars are selling strongly enough to focus on more than a great warranty. (Hyundai-Kia Launches Brand Differentiation Strategy)

Steve, Host
    as far as Toyota throwing in incentives for selling the RAV4. That does seem unnecessary, although if memory serves me I don't think RAV4 sales have really been through the roof of late.

• petec1petec1 Member Posts: 10
    http://nytimes.com

Take a minute to subscribe (free) and check it out. Can be found in the Auto section which is on top left of main page.
    Here's a link to the article itself (but it's still a registration link).

Steve, Host
    Wow, this board has been quiet for a while!

Question for sportage owners, if you have changed the oil on your 2005 sportage, can you tell me how hard is it? are the drain plug and filter easy to access?

Thanks.

Mike

P.S. any know if a shop manual is available for the sportage?
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I had the recall performed on my wife's Sportage this past Monday. The reprogramming of the Electronic Stability Control took about ten minutes.

Otherwise the Sportage has been flawless through the first month and a half and 2,400 miles.
  • yiggy69yiggy69 Member Posts: 9
    I test drove a 2005 Kia Sportage and went back to sit in it again, and found a possible problem for me. There does not seem to be a comfortable place to rest my right leg against when driving with my foot on the accelerator then on the brake. I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall. Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?
  • petec1petec1 Member Posts: 10
    I too am 6'3" and have discovered that every SUV in this class, except the Kia has a console or console extension that folks like you evidently like. I am buying the Sportage for the exact opposite reason........I can't stand my right foot being impeded by that console. Go figure! My suggestion to the Kia dealers that I've visited and to the Kia folks themselves is to add a "telescoping" steering wheel to add variable sitting and steering positions for taller folks such as us. The Oriental car makers are still using their national demographic for size based on their native populations and at some point, will figure out that we Americans are a far larger grouping. If you can't live without that "footrest' being there, you have plenty of other options. I have driven all the competition and would suggest you look at the Forester, Tribute, Escape (Mariner) if you want the "feel" of a Kia with a little more power or the CRV, RAV4, or Outlander if you can live with a little less power offered by a 4 cylinder. Good luck!
    Perhaps you're just above average. US males now average 5'10" tall. I'm 5'10 and my Nissan seats are the best I've ever had (including couple of Volvos I've owned). And US males aren't getting taller, but most everyone else is. See Guardian Unlimited and Times of India.

I rented a Rio for a week last April and was impressed by the variety of ways the seat could be adjusted for an econobox.

Steve, Host
  • yiggy69yiggy69 Member Posts: 9
    Many thanks, that really explains the issue completely. I like everything else about the sportage and think that it is a real value but probably won't buy it for its lack of the foot/leg rest. I believe that Korean cars, like Korean tvs, e.g. Samsung, are getting as good as Japanese cars, and will be a real value until people realize the change, and then Korean prices will go up and their warranties go down in line with the competition. Thanks again.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    the Malibu Maxx...I believe it haas the tilt and telescoping steering wheel.
  • radarradar Member Posts: 6
    Is there anyone out there using their Sportage for trailer towing? I installed my hitch but was informed by Kia Canada that the required cable harness would not be available until the end of June, possibly beginning July! That was the last thing I expected; you produce a vehicle, sell the hitch, but the customer is unable to use it for towing since they are unable to connect the trailer lights.
    Any thoughts?