Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• swamanswaman Member Posts: 6
    Basically, the only thing that was changed on the exhaust was just past the cat converter. The guy installed flowmaster muffler and some nice tips. There is a little bit of a throaty sound to it, but not really noticeable inside the truck. I also wanted to add to #413 who was looking at purchasing some accessories. I bought the front wind deflector that goes on the hood. I put it on myself and love it. It makes the truck look really nice.
  • bstarrb80bstarrb80 Member Posts: 3
    I haven't seen anything on mine so far and I have 2000 miles on mine. My check engine light has come on and I'm going to have to take it in to get it checked. Have you had anything similar?
  • radarradar Member Posts: 6
    I also installed the front wind deflector, back-up sonar, and a Gentex rear view mirror. Does anyone know where to find the brushed aluminum insert for the dash? The wood-grain is shall I say, average? Other then that we love the Sportage.
  • alpinetesteralpinetester Member Posts: 2
    kiapartspeople has dash insert-no door switch panels,
    teamfalconracing has chrome trim kit,
    suvxccessory has a sherwood dash kit,brushed aluminum
  • nckianckia Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing the same with my 05 LX Sportage. The residue is in fact grease applied before shipping to the US, as stated in another post. I plan to mention the "fix", supplied in that original post, when I go for next oil change. For the Check Engine light issue; I have started a log book because this happens too many times. At first it seemed as though it was just that I was not putting the gas cap on tight enough, but the when the light stayed on after reapplying the gas cap, the dealership suggested that they perform diagnostic. A Fault Code: P0449 appeared, Evap Vent/Solenoid Circuit; replaced internally failed canister close valve (sticking). Anyway, that seemed to have taken care of the light staying on all the time. But, I will say this much, make sure that when you are putting the gas cap back on that you push the cap into the nozzle as much as possible before turning to the right and make sure that you hear the 'click' for three (3) times. The cap/nozzle is very sensitive and the light has still come on if I am not carefully. Found that removing the cap and reapplying will turn the light off after about five (5) engine starts.
  • ambley79ambley79 Member Posts: 1
    After kicking around the idea of trading my 1999 Kia Sephia in on a small SUV, we decided on the 2005 Kia Sportage LX V6 in Champagne. We we between the Hyundai Tucson and the Sportage but the Hyundai dealership was closed on Sunday so after checking out the sticker price and peeking into a few on the lot, we drove up to the Kia dealership. We had no intentions of buying it right away and they were quick to draw us in though. We test drove a 2005 Sportage EX loaded in Jade Green and loved it but knew it was probably more than what we wanted to spend, we knew the absolute most we wanted to spend They ran the numbers and just couldn't get it there as we suspected so we left. We were disappointed and didn't understand why they weren't trying to sell us on an LX instead of letting us walk. My husband decided to drop by after work on Monday and talked to them about the LX and they worked up the numbers and could get us where we wanted to be even thought it meant no sunroof! We both love it and it is as roomy as we were hoping for and it seems nicer than the used Ford Escape we were looking at for less money! The sticker shows fuel economy at 21 and 29 and with our first fill-up we got 22 miles to the gallon. We Sephia consistently got better with each fill-up so hopefully this one will too.
  • wacker54wacker54 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum concept, so I'm not sure if I'm entering my question in the right way or not, but anyway, I'm turning in a leased 2001 Kia Sportage. The leasing company is trying to charge me $1,200 for wheel corrosion due to brake dust. Now, every Kia of that age that I've ever seen has a lot of brake dust on the wheels. Wouldn't some corrosion be normal on a 2001 Kia in August of 2005? What's been your experience with wheel corrosion?
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    It sounds to me as though you did not keep those wheels very clean to avoid this happening.
  • dan5150dan5150 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I recently test drove 3 or 4 new sportages and most of them had a burning smell to them.Maybe it is because they need to be driven a while.Also 3 of them had a ticking sound at start up for a few minutes(the service manager says the lifters in the engine bleed the oil down after not being driven for a long time).I am concerned about these issues!!!Does anybody had these issues when driving??These are the only things keeping me from purchasing a sportage. Thanks!! :confuse:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The burning smell is probably the sealant that Kia (and Hyundai) put on the underside of vehicles to protect them on the voyage across the ocean. Some got on the exhaust and is burning off. The smell goes away in a couple of weeks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may also want to visit Lease Questions - Ask Here.

tidester, host
  • markmoonmarkmoon Member Posts: 1
    Could some of you guys give me some info I need answered fairly quickly. A dealer just offered me a '05 Sportage EX w/ LEATHER pkg. and CROSS BARS for an out the price (includes EVERYTHING...TAX AND ALL) of $21,020 . I need to know if this is as good a deal as it seems to be. IT IS A 4X2, not a 4X4.
    Also, does anyone know where to look on the web for changes on the '06 model?
    Thanks alot...I just don't know whether to BUY now or wait for the '06...the price seems to be telling me to buy NOW !
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Member Posts: 47
    Sounds reasonable.
  • fevrefevre Member Posts: 2
    My check emission light keeps coming up. I took it to the garage and they put it on their scanner and said it was the mass airflow sensor.so i paid and got it replaced, while driving home the light came back on. i went back the next day and they were like hmm i guess thats a bad new part. so they put another one in and it was good for two weeks and the light came on again. i took it back same problem and code p0101 something like that. they are like i dont know what to do. so i take it to get my oil changed and the guys liek you have a sensor missing here take it back to whoever fixed your car. so i did and they had no idea what was missing and got kia to fax them papers. they couldnt figure it out. so i had to drive to sunbury which is about an hour from where i live. i took it there and they are like thats your 4wd. they said some stuff about how my car used to have it where you just put it into gear but it got switch where i have to turn it on manually on the hubs, it sucks! anyway, they said the problem is that the wires inside it are all messed up and no connected. so i have to take it there next friday and its gonna cost me around 200 or so, i dont know, i have a rattling noise now. anyway the thing, i pull out and it wont accelerate. the other day i pulled out of college on a main road and my vehicle is not going and i still have my foot on the gas, then finally it goes. i really hate my car and as soon as i pay my loan off im getting rid of it. has anyone else had this problem with a 99 sportage?
  • jacquesjacques Member Posts: 34
    I am looking at trading from a 2004 Sorento with 27500 KM down... to a 2006 lx v6 awd any hint of what the sorento should fetch ?

including taxes some dealers are asking $270 CDN $ X 36 interest free months
    with a 20,000$ trade-in for the Sorento thus making the v6 lx (not the fancy EX with leather) purchase price at $29,720 cdn

including taxes ....have any of you folks in Canada paid cheaper that $29, 720 CDN for a v6 awd LX (...remote starter and tow package comes later )
  • teresabteresab Member Posts: 2
    I did not have the burning smell but the 1st time I test drove the sportage it started ticking as soon as I started it. The salesman let it run for a few minutes before I drove it. I drove it for about 15 minutes and the ticking had stopped by the time I was done test driving it. It had 6 miles on it when I drove it. I asked the saleman about the ticking and he told me the same thing about the oil. I went back the next 2 nights and drove it again to make sure I didn't hear the ticking any more and I didn't. I bought the Sportage and have had it 1 month and have not heard the ticking since the 1st test drive. I love it. I got 22 1/2 mpg the 1st fill up and have been getting 24 1/2 to 25 mpg now. :)
  • teresabteresab Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Sportage for 1 month and I have had no problems with anything.
    Over 2000 miles. I love it. :)
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Anyone know what is new for 2006? Seems odd they didn't make the 2005 the '06 model since it was introduced so late. The dealers have a bunch of '06s on their lots.

My wife has 6,000 miles on her Sportage in five months of very satisfied driving.
  • nightynighty Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought a automatic kia sportage 52 reg. its been in the garage for more time than ive had it, check engine light came on shortly after HOLD started flashing. this seemed to happen every time i filled up with petrol. took it to main dealer who turned lights off said nothing wrong, only for lights to come back on again. again took it back and they said it was speed sensor that was faulty, which they changed under the warranty. until the lights came on again 2 days later, took it in again, now theyve decided its something with gears that tells it its doing 255 miles an hour! so im waiting again, just wondered if anybody had had similar probs and what fault was. any help appreciated
    Thanks for getting back to me. I took my sportage in about three weeks ago and it turns out that the sensor in the gas cap was bad and it set off the check engine light. Simple fix they just replaced the gas cap. Then last week around the 7th the light came on again. I just took it back in yesterday and it turned out to be a fuel line seal. Talk about a scary situation. It took them a week to get me in and then when they did it was something pretty serious. I'm very disappointed. The performance of the vehicle is awesome though! I guess I should've waited till they worked out the bugs before I bought one!!! It's good that the check engine light is so touchy, after all it's all covered under warranty. I hope I don't have anymore problems with it though!! Keep me posted if you continue to have issues also. Thanks!!!
    I experienced a burning smell the first few days after I purchased my Sportage. I stuck it out for a few days and the smell disappeared. I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact the the exhaust is new and all of the hoses and belts. Had the problem persisted I would've asked!!! Good luck!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's the sealant applied to the underside of the car to protect it while on the ocean. It does wear off in a few days/weeks of driving as you found.
  • prosaprosa Member Posts: 280
    It looks as if Sportages have joined the ranks of vehicles featuring dealer price gouging. I was at a shopping mall not long ago, and among the vehicles being displayed in the center court was a 2006 Sportage EX with 4WD and automatic. To my surprise, it had a "second sticker" with almost $5,000 in dealer add-ons, including 18" alloy wheels for $3,000. With these add-ons, the Sportage's total price was in excess of $25,000.
    Has anyone else seen this sort of thing lately?
  • solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    In Houston, the dealers are not giving any incentives plus, they are tacking on $295 for a little pinstriping... :mad:
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    "Second stickers" are quite common at "a lot" of dealerships, not just Kia. Those alloy wheels are on that vehicle, plus pinstripe, window etching, "paint sealant" and many other additional "PROFIT" items. Buy the car the way "YOU" want it!!!
  • prosaprosa Member Posts: 280
    Second stickers _seem_ to be getting less common. Dealers in my area are not using them on 2006 Volkswagen Jettas or Passats or on Chrysler 300's, just to name a few newly redesigned or highly popular models. And then there's the 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse, which my wife is considering. A few weeks ago, the local dealer had a second sticker on each car, charging $2,200 for a remote starter and alarm (you could get the same stuff from an aftermarket installer for a few hundred bucks). One week ago, however, the second stickers were nowhere to be seen. Of course, the fact that Mitsubishi is on life support in the United States may be relevant :)
    In any event, getting back to the Sportage, is it likely that dealers will sell them without the second-sticker addons if you ask, or will they tell you "take it or leave it?"
  • kankokuonlykankokuonly Member Posts: 15
    September 23, 2005 -- Kia Motors’ commitment to offering consumers high-quality vehicles with an impressive array of comfort, convenience and safety equipment was recognized this week when new-vehicle owners in the U.S. awarded the Kia Amanti sedan (also known as ‘Opirus’ in some markets) and the Sportage SUV the highest scores in their segments in the J.D. Power and Associates 2005 Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study.SM

The Amanti (Premium Midsize Car) and Sportage (Entry SUV) are the first Kia models to receive segment-leading scores in the study, which measures new-vehicle buyers’ delight with the design, content, layout and performance of their new vehicles.

“The Amanti and Sportage are the latest examples of Kia’s ability to develop stylish new products with more comfort and convenience features than the competition at an incredible value to the consumer,” said Kia Motors America president and CEO Peter M. Butterfield. “It is an honor for both of these vehicles to receive their top rankings because it is a direct reflection of the positive experience Amanti and Sportage owners are having with their new vehicles.”

Now in its 10th year, the APEAL Study was based on responses from more than 115,000 new-vehicle owners who were surveyed during the first 90 days of ownership. Eight categories of vehicle performance and design are measured to assess buyer satisfaction, including: engine/transmission; ride, handling and braking; comfort/convenience; seats; cockpit/instrument panel; heating, ventilation and cooling; sound system; and styling/exterior.

Both the Amanti and Sportage follow Kia’s next generation product plan -- incorporating modern, stylish designs with high levels of comfort and convenience and class-leading standard safety features -- while retaining the brand’s strong adherence to the value-for-money ethic.

Cheers! ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    That's great news about Amanti and Sportage, though the feedback here on Edmunds told me that about Amanti long ago. The feedback on Sportage is coming through good overall with a few complaints on the braking safety issues and a few recall or TSB issues that seem to be only applicable to certain Sportage's. Nothing to dampen my enthusiasm about the new Sportage at all. It remains on my futures list, right up there at the top.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

My problems with my stuck key maybe over. I took my Sportage back to the dealer for the brake handle recall and gave them documentation from the Kia service website on how to fix my stuck key problem. The repair required removing the center console and adjusting the key interlock cable. This cable doesn't allow you to move the ignition switch to the off position unless the car is in park. My car was in park and the key wouldn't turn to the off position. I would have to move the shifter back and forth into park until I could move the key. Sometimes after several minutes, I gave up and left the key in the ignition. After the car cooled down, the key would move. The dealer needed to remove the center console to replace the brake handle under recall-so knock two problems out at the same time.

They call and say my car is ready.....and then call back shortly to say the key is stuck again. They replaced my shifter assembly. My shifter cover was brushed chrome with a tan matching leather handle. They replaced it with a black cover with a black leather handle. This was the only one in the warehouse and it looks fine as my interior knobs are black too. My key problem was really bad in hot weather and our weather has cooled off. The verdict is still out whether this actually ends my annoying nightmare and only time well tell.

I love my Sportage, but this was driving me crazy! I'll keep you updated....
    I'm leaving the country for 3 weeks and won't be driving my car for a while.
  • healey2healey2 Member Posts: 1
    this sounds all too familiar. I have been having the same problems and my car has been in the shop the better part of the month.

My sportage did the same thing only it pulled us to a complete stop on the right had shoulder of the road.

Where have you gotten with this problem, hopefully further than I have given all I have is a lot of new parts and Sportage that is no more safe.

Just wondered if anyone has the proper email address of where to forward my letter on complaint to?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's Kia's US contact info:

Kia Consumer Affairs

Steve, Host
  • ladyjennladyjenn Member Posts: 3
    I just got an '05 Sportage EX with Luxury Package and I love it! It does not have the MP3 logo on the 6 in dash CD changer but it plays all of my burned CDs. Who buys CDS anymore? Not me, and it plays great. I actually like the stereo. I just sold my Infiniti G35 COUPE for this car! I had had it with the maintenance required on a car like that and I just got the Sportage 2 days ago and don't miss the G35 for a minute! I got the Silver with Black Leather heated seats. The car is perfect.
  • willabeastwillabeast Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 Sportage on Sunday and I know it's early days but, so far, I love it. It's comfortable, feels safe, has lots of pep, great storage and is generally attractive. I opted for the blue so the interior is black. I don't know if this is typical or not but my LX has fog lights, floor mats, a block heater and remote door locks. I thought these items were options but they were on the vehicle and there is no way the fog lamps were dealer installed so they seem to be standard. I paid $27280 Cdn before tax. I don't know if that's good or bad but I'm happy and I can afford it. There is one problem... the AM radio doesn't work... FM is OK, maybe a little weak, the CD player is excellent but AM is entirely missing. Seek can't find a signal at all. I'm taking it Saturday for a look see so I'll let you know if they find the problem.

I really love this car... its a good family vehicle but its sporty too and something about the design makes it look eager to go for a drive. :)
  • ladyjennladyjenn Member Posts: 3
    I paid less than $23K out the door with tax and license fees for an '05 EX V6 with the Luxury Package, LOADED. Heated leather, etc. I think that is great! Plus I got my favorite color! My payments are great with 0 down! There are deals to be had with the 05's right now. :)
  • msmeppersmsmeppers Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Sportage in June - was very happy with it - no problems and lots of comfortable driving. On 8-3 a drunk driver pulled in front of me and I hit him directly in the side. He was driving a large heavy duty truck and the impact flipped his truck. They totaled my Kia due to front end damage but according to the police and the inspector, it did its job - it took the brunt of the impact and from the firewall back there was not a dent, scratch, tc. I had a pottery vase in the backseat floorboard and it did not even break - amazing, dont ya think.

I broke my ankle and got a bump on my heard from the air bag but other than that nothing too serious. As soon as I am able to drive again, I am pretty sure I am going to purchase the same exact vehicle. :D:);)
    glad you didn't get hurt worse. Looks like your '05 Sportage helped keep you safe. Just the kind of story I enjoy reading as I research people's opinions of their '05 and newer Kia Sportage's!

Let us know what you get next and happy motoring to you! :D

• solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    Glad you're OK...

How did your airbags deploy?

Did ALL 6 deploy, or did they just blow out in separate zones......? driver side, passenger side, etc...
  • jacquesjacques Member Posts: 34
    not fair...but here goes

I just traded in a 2004 lx Sorento (28500 km) for a 2006 LX 4wd Sportage main reasons...trade value and extreme Sorento gas guzzling.

Well... I do misss the Sorento comforts but the Sportage is nice, it is a more noisy car than the Sorento (smaller tires and suspension I guess)
    Radio is great, general layout excellent with little ergomic changes from the Sorento

I just have bad feeling this Sportage 4wd will guzzle as much as my Sorento did...
    a bit less maybe but not as much as I would ahve liked to justify trading down
    I hope it gets better !!!!!

trailer hitch a bit flimsy... to but good for 2000 braked pounds book says

My wife really misses her Sorento... :cry:
  • bethnlabethnla Member Posts: 4
    Just bought my first Kia. Got a 2005 LX Sportage, and am trading in my 1990 Chevy S-10 Blazer w/170000 miles. I can't wait to get out on the road with it. This is going to be a blast! Is there a Kia Sportage fan club? My brother belongs to one for the make of his car. Also, where can I find Sportage specific accessories? I have looked on JCWhitney, et. al. and no one seems to have them. Thanks for any info. :D
  • gricypopsgricypops Member Posts: 1
    I have a VW Beetle 02 reg and the ESP Light will no switch if self off, does any one have any ideas why and how can it be fixed??? Do not want to spend ££££ on getting it fixed :cry:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the VW New Beetle (GL, GLS & GLX) discussion.

I assume you are posting in here because a few Kia owners have had the light go off.

There's a thread over in Passat Wagons that may help too:

2xshot, "VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)" #1747, 23 Feb 2005 11:23 pm

And this thread in a Golf discussion:

shiphro, "VW Golf R32" #167, 28 Jul 2005 2:37 pm

Good luck!

Steve, Host
  • dfm07dfm07 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a '05 EX w/ luxury package 4x2 w/ 5000 mi (demo) .I got it for $16650 .I was looking at the EX 4x4 for 23,000...Glad I waited thnaks
  • kjr_68kjr_68 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in your "key" problems. However my problem is a bit different in that the key won't turn to start the engine. Now I've been told that "the tires aren't straight", I'm parked on an incline", etc. That really is not the problem since it does the same thing if the tires are straight and it's not on an incline. I've had my sportage in the shop several times and they can't find the problem. Has anyone else had the same problem?
    I had a '99 Kia Sephia that wouldn't start, wouldn't even make a sound for me when turning the key. I took it in the dealer and I wasn't pushing the clutch pedal down far enough! I had a 5-speed Sephia. Once they showed me that I never had that problem again.

On my '01 Kia Sportage I have noticed that from time to time upon starting the key will not turn the required distance to crank the engine over. All that had to be done was adjust the steering wheel a crank or two one direction or the other. After doing that (you have to hold the wheel over that direction while turning the key) the small SUV starts right up. I don't know if that will work for you but you might try it. Just move the steering wheel until it stops and you can't turn it any more, then hold it there. Then try turning the engine over. I don't know the technical reason or Kia Sportage part that is causing that but it's obviously a part of the steering column/starter design on the Sportage. Run that by your dealer's service department or just try it yourself and see if it doesn't fix the problem.

• pcawleypcawley Member Posts: 1
    I have put almost 10,000 miles on my sportage (4wd, 2.7 v6), and have been experiencing an annoying vibration. From 20-25 mph, just as the transmission is switching from 2nd to 3rd gear, there is a noticable vibration in the car. The dealer experienced the same thing and replaced the rear drive shaft. No difference. We
    also tried rotating/balancing the tires, but that didn't help either.
    Is anyone else experiencing this problem, and is it something that could indicate a future problem.
    Other than the vibration, we are extremely happy with the vehicle.
  • michellinimichellini Member Posts: 1
    mine just started to do this, the light came on, then the HOLD started flashing. I'm gonna take it in tomorrow and cross my fingers that its not too majoy
    It might be your exhaust system. I had a 2005 Chrysler 300C and many owners complained of a vibration at 55 mph. Turns out that the exhaust would resonate at this speed and cause a vibration felt by the owners. What basically happens is that your exhaust acts like a tuning fork per se. My wife's Mazda Tribute does this frequently and I think it occurs again from the exhaust system.
  • sportysuesportysue Member Posts: 2
    I am also a new owner of an LX Sportage 05 looking for accessories. Especially the front and rear grills - Any one know if they make them or what can be retrofitted? :confuse:
    Sportage's side moulding, or possible lack of it. Do all 2005 Kia Sportage trims offer side moulding on the doors or door sills down below to stop possible shopping cart damage? Or do only the upper trim levels offer this protection?

• petec1petec1 Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a new Sportage and am just beaming from ear to ear. I really like it so far although I haven't gone thru a tank of gas yet. The only complaint that I have, which I have mentioned here in the past, is the lack of a telescoping steering wheel. I'm a big guy (6'3" and 235 lbs.) and finding the perfect driving position is nearly impossible, even though I have a 35" shirt sleeve. I will eventually find a compromise seating and driving position, but Kia should really look at this if it wants to sell more vehicles. The only other issue that I had complained about here is the reported lack of power. I'm glad to report that for me, doing mostly city driving with no onramps, that the power issue is not one at all. This thing is actually pretty frisky and downright quick for the kind of streets that I drive on. I'm in a mountainous area here in WVA and am eager to see how well the FWD and 4WD perform here in my town. The gas mileage appears to be less than advertised although I haven't yet filled my first tank. I will report back observed mpg data once the vehicle gets some miles on it. I am still learning how to use all the options that come with this thing and find the standard equipment on the EX 4WD V-6 model that I have is very impressive.