Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tiburon Prices Paid and Buying Experience

caleb2001rcaleb2001r Member Posts: 6
edited April 2014 in Hyundai
I've just been offered $17533 from a local dealer for a Black 03' Manual Tib w/ leather and sunroof (option w/ spoiler and sunroof). I've just ordered "A Fighting Chance" to find out their actual invoice (I can't believe that Edmunds or Autobytel is correct, since the dealerships pay them to be referenced out and there has to be some sort of leverage) but to me as of now that seems like a good price. What has everyone else payed for their Tiburons?

Comments

• cfbd372cfbd372 Member Posts: 3
    I paid $18100 for my V-6 Tiburon with automatic transmision. But keep in mind Hyundai is now ofering $1000 cash back. Also the automatic is more expersive than a manual tansmision.
    Good luck.
  • caleb2001rcaleb2001r Member Posts: 6
    Well, a followup to what I posted. The $17533 was with the $1000 cash back. But get this, he then quoted me my drive out price (since I have prearranged finances) of $18835.02 (Those two pennies count!). That's the amount I would need to walk up with a check and sign a few papers and drive off. So....I was quoted back at Square 1: $18533 for a 03' Black Tiburon w/ Ultrasports 3 package (leather, sunroof, spoiler, 6-speed)...I guess I'm convinced already. Hopefully buying it this Saturday, if I could just sell my Honda Accord (You would think a 91' clean Accord would sell for $1800!!!) I'm having a hard time, so my purchase my be delayed. Ahhh well....
  • gaza1gaza1 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i just got a4 cyl,5 speed, with sunroof/spoiler/cassette player op, out the door for $16,980, was thata good deal?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and congrats on your new 2023 Tiburon! Also, thanks for sharing what you paid. Here's a more active Hyundai Tiburon discussion where you may get more expedient feedback regarding your price. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • wkrennerichwkrennerich Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2003 GT V6, Automatic tran, moonroof and mudguards were the options. Comes standard with the leather seats and Infinity 6 speaker CD system. List was $20133.00.
    Rebate is $1000.00.

I got the car for $17000.00 plus TTL.

At first the dealer tried to put the Inland freight into the TTL but I made them back it out. Then in financing they tried a $399.00 consumer charge which I also made them back out. Drive out with TTL was $18277.90

At one point I had 2 managers and the salesperson showing me an invoice saying they had to make some money on the car. I politely reminded them they had 3 of these cars on the lot and all had a registration sticker from January and I was sure that they wanted to sell the car and not pay another month's holding cost for it. I stuck firm to the $17000 and eventually wore them down. I was ready to walk 4 times before they gave in. The best internet price for the same car was $17466.00. Both of these prices included the $1000 rebate from Hyundai.

I think I it was a deal!
  • darthm3819darthm3819 Member Posts: 3
    You all seem like good negotiators, do you have any advice for a teen negotiating on his first car. Also does anyone in here own a 2003 GT V6 Tiburon with auto Transmission, Sunroof, ABS, and the metal plated Brake and Accelerator?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Have you had a chance to read any of the buying articles in Edmunds' Tips & Advice Section?

Also, you may get some helpful feedback in these discussions: Hyundai Tiburon (Owner Experiences & News) and A good first car. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • redhysteriaredhysteria Member Posts: 3
    I was upside down a little on my trade in, so they tacked on a little to price.. all in all, I paid $19,200 (w/TTL) for my V4 Tiburon 5 speed which I got like 7 months ago.. I love the car and all the features.. It gets everyone's attention and I may actually keep it for 4-10 years :) go to http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/474000 and please sign guestbook. I looked at the Celicas.. (V4 is only thing they come in).. very small and look like little matchbox cars.. not a real man's car if you ask me.. price seemed ok though.. Acura Integras WAY out of the park on price.. and Nissan 350Z was VERY nice car, but VERY expensive (but definitely worth it if u can afford it).

tootles
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    wiggle room on your trade? I'm just curious, those of us w/South Korean rigs have to be wary of taking the big "hit" on being upside down when trading in. I know my Kia dealer really made it happen for us when trading our Sephia for our Sportage a little over two years ago. I'm just curious how they worked it for you and how much of the upside down they ate up for you when you traded in(if you're comfortable posting it, that is...don't if you're not!!) I mean, HyunKia dealers are aware of the depreciation of these rigs but they ALSO WANT TO SELL NEW VEHICLES, SO there ya go. The new-gen Tiburon is such an eye-candy car. In the South Korean tradition, yes it is an eye-grabber!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• redhysteriaredhysteria Member Posts: 3
    basically, my previous car had a true market value of $14,500 (had a XG300L), still owed like $16,750 on it.. and haggled with them a lot, b/c they were trying to pit me up in the mid $400/month range w/$2500 down, but got them down to mid $300s w/ $1500 down.

cya
    because the Tiburon is so nice a rig. I will do the same when I pull the purchase trigger again(Tiburon GT V6, new Spectra or new Sportage are in the running for my futures)but I will haggle as much as possible, too. Since you're gonna be stuck with your payment book for years you might as well give it your best shot. One thing I've picked up on the net is GET UP AND LEAVE IF YOUR DEAL DOESN'T SOUND KOSHER ENOUGH TO YOU. They'll come running for you to get you back to dealing. That squares with me because it's no problem to just go to another dealer for a better deal. Nothing is cast in stone unless you want it to be. I know what you mean, though, they're hard to resist and the salespeople know it, too. Love the South Korean vehicles the best...no kiddin', even the Japanese rigs do next to zip for me.

• austex1000austex1000 Member Posts: 1
    Visited several Hyundai dealers in Austin, Texas. Decided on a 4 cylinder, manual Tiberon. I asked for a drive out price - not including the rebate. I explained I wanted to take advantage of the low interest rates. Got a drive out of $17,350. Repeated the amount and request for interest to internet manager and sales person. Got to dealership; spent an unbelievable three hours on paperwork and waiting; mostly waiting. By the time I got to the "finance" man, I was told that if I wanted low interest rate, I would have to add $1,500 to the price of the car. I explained what my requests were originally and what I was told. I was then offered to purchase car for $17,500 and a rate through the dealership of 3.9%. Is this normal or is it just because I am a woman?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Does the $17,500 include all taxes and fees? Also, does this car include the power sunroof and Infinity sound system or is it the base version? If the price includes all taxes and fees and the sunroof and Infinity sound system, I would say its only an ok deal. Since it sounds like the 3.9% is through the dealer and not through Hyundai finance, you should be able to take the $1500 rebate, which means your out the door price should really be around 16k. However, if the special finance rate is through Hyundai, you can't take the rebate. It seems to me the dealer is trying to keep the rebate to himself by suckering you with a low interest rate. I think you can do much better on the price.
  • nvataninvatani Member Posts: 1
    I am getting tiburon 2001 for $3,500/- its 4 cyl. and has 59,000 miles on it.... i wanna know that price is ok or not?
  • jasongixxerjasongixxer Member Posts: 1
    I have got a dealer down to $20,700 "out the door" "drive away" price. I think its a pretty fair deal. Its the only orange crush at the 4 closest dealers to my house. What do y'all think?

Thanks.
  • knighthawkeknighthawke Member Posts: 5
    Not including trade-in, paid $16,350 out the door!! TT&L (plus window etching & new plates for 4 years registration). Major sale in NJ.
  • kingwood1kingwood1 Member Posts: 1
    can you tell me what dealer in NJ. sounds like a good deal. I live in Flemington,NJ.

thanks
  • ederekbederekb Member Posts: 4
    See this post
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0c9eb6/4
    $2000 in service on my '03 with 30K Miles. Warenty wont cover it.
    -Derek :lemon:
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Clutch will not be covered by all the other manufacturers as well. Now if it is proven that Hyundai put defective parts in the car, it should have been covered and they will lose the lawsuit. Hyundai is doing like all the rest, which is sad indeed, by not being will to just fix the 2003 model cars with this problem, is my take on this if they did have defective parts. This is assuming the complaints are valid. I am not saying one way or another, as I have no evidence. It is really bad PR, and a no win situation for Hyundai when trying to attract new - young buyers. As for clutch cars, I think possibly the BMW cover all for four years warranty may be the only one covering the clutch.

The warranty,by Hyundai, is the best in the industry. If I bought a Tiburon, I would get the automatic.
    -Loren
  • michelle105705michelle105705 Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me where is this dealer? The deal sounds really good! How did you get that such nice price on 2006 Hyudai Tibruon GT?
  • michelle105705michelle105705 Member Posts: 2
    i went to shopping for 2006 Hyundai tiburon. when i was walked into this place which is called "The New Hyundai of Paramus --Dodge of paramus". the KOREAN GUY walked to me. I asked him about the car, and told him that i want to have the color in black or moonlit blue. he told me the color i want is UGLY. I insist, and ask him check wether he has it or not. (Meanwhile he was try to sell the only one tiburon he has which is really dirty old one) he come back and told me Not only hime but all of Hyundai dealer in NJ and N.Y do not have the car with black or blue. Cheater! (after him, I saw a moonlit in the ohter NJ dealer only 15 mins away from him, and one black one in NY manhattan). After all he finally told me he cold order one in on coming week, then we sit and started talking about the price. He give around $19431 which is close to the invoice price that showed online. I try to negotiate with him, he do not want to lower the price, so i was leaving, and he said:" THANK YOU FOR WEAST MY TIME" . WOREST DEALER EVER SEE!!!
  • borg18borg18 Member Posts: 2
    ok, here's the deal. i got a 2005 Tiburon GT as a birthday present about 1yr and a half ago. My parents just told me that they got it on a lease, but the problem is that they got it for 5 yrs. who's heard of a 5yr lease?? The buyout is $16,000. Is there a way to get out of this contract?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,185
    If you are looking for another new car, you can trade the Tiburon to the dealer.

Is the current buyout $16K? If so, it will be treated like any other trade-in. If they give you $16K for the Tiburon, then you are even.... If they only give you $12K, then you have to come up with $4K.. or roll that negative equity into the new car loan (never a good idea).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• borg18borg18 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for replying. ok, here's another question. instead of trading it in can i pass the car to another person and for them to take over the payments? in there name of course.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,185
    Some finance companies allow this, and some do not..

Of those that do allow it, some will release the original lessee from financial responsibility (which is what you want), and some will not. If they don't release you from liability, then you wouldn't want to transfer your lease.

I'm not sure about Hyundai Finance (assuming that is who your lease is through). You could check a web-site like Swapalease.com, and look for other Hyundais that are being offered for lease assumption.. Usually, you can find out the details on the individual finance companies that way.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kennitrokennitro Member Posts: 1
    What is a good price to pay for this car. I am being offered 18,626 for the GS with the option 3 package? should I keep shopping?
  • philskarenphilskaren Member Posts: 4
    I leased a 2005 GT tiburon for 39 months with a buyout of $8,000 in 2008. I don't see how your buyout after 5 years is 16,000? Is that the buyout for today, because that's about what the car is worth right now. I just wrecked mine and I'm looking for a new car, which is why I stumbled on this site. The insurance is offering me $16,000 if they total my car. I had about 18,000 miles on it. You might also look into Leasetrader.com, another website I stumbled on recently. I don't know if it's very good, but I found it and you can buy or trade your lease to someone else and it puts the lease in their name (or at least that's what I understand about it so far)
  • marek07marek07 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 07 Tiburon GLS(4Cyl) Automatic as a third car for my family. Having a SUV and a Sedan already, I figured something alittle sporty was needed. The MSRP on the vehicle was $19,675 ( including destination ). I offered $18,600 with destination included before rebates. With rebates ( $500.00 ) on the Tiburon and ($500.00 - valued owner ) "Already own a 2002 Santa Fe" , I received an additional $1,000.00 off making it $17,600.00 before taxes, title, and doc fee. Options on the vehicle included Sunroof with Cruise control, Floor Mats, and Cargo Net. I added the mudguards for $60.00 afterwards.
  • dlaabsdlaabs Member Posts: 4
    In August a dealer in Sheboygan,Wisconsin ofered to sell me the exact same car with your options for $16,809. Arrow Hyundai in West Allis, Wisc. offered to sell me the same vehicle at $17,000..We alreadt own two Hyundais. I decided to wait until the 2008 Tiburon comes out before I buy it.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Can you tell us if there were any incentives included in the $16,8 price?
    The incentives were $500. owner loyalty, $500. Hyundai motor finance corp. & $500. rebate on the GS model. The dealer also took off at least $1000. in dealer incentives. For October almost all the incentives are gone except for the $500. rebate plus whatever dealer incentives you can get. I'm still waiting for the 2008's. However the prices from Aug. & Sept. generally can still be gotten as I've checked with the dealer. Hope this helps you.
  • chevyluv1chevyluv1 Member Posts: 4
    yea talktome ihave a 04 35 th miles by the prices i see on here you will be pleased
  • chevyluv1chevyluv1 Member Posts: 4
    listen up guys if you would pay 18 gs for a tibb then u should hit me up the perfect tuner but its still bone stock like i said if u would pay 18 for a 03 hit up ill blow your mind
  • salivalsalival Member Posts: 5
    im looking at a 2004 tiburon gt v6 6 speed with about 30,000 miles on it. The person wants 13,500 for the car. I was wondering if that is a good deal or should i offer him a lower price. Any feed back would be much appreciated

thanks
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    see answer in the other forum you posted in.
  • platinusplatinus Member Posts: 1
    That's right. I bought a red Tiburon new in October 2001. It was on clearence (for the new 2003 Tiburon). It was a base model with stick shift (no sunroof, no leather etc etc etc). I walked out the door in less than 2 hours with a price of $14250.00 (with $750.00 of extended warranty, tax, title, and license included). I still have that Tiburon today with 249100 (quarter million miles) on the odo. I drive it from Dallas to Wichita, KS every week (700 miles to and back). I do the maintainance regularly. I did screw up once and did not change my timing belt until 175000 miles. It broke and tore up my valves. It had those replaced for $1000.00. I just had a new timing belt replaced at 235000 miles. The only other parts I had replaced was the wheel bearings. Other than the parts that wear out (break pad, disc, clutches), everything on my tibby is still original. I only had it in the dealership once since the day I bought it. Is this car a good investment or what? I am still driving it. Fixing to "rice" it up..........
  • libra8libra8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. I just bought an '06 white GT Limited 5spd with 10,500mi for $15,338+TT. That includes $250 trade in. I just hit a deer. Do you think I got a good deal. Oh. yea, I bought it at Flemington Hyundai and I already had the rear window replaced the top three defrost elements didn't work and had the steering wheel centered all covered under warranty. They gave me a loner car too. I'm very happy with this dealership.
    wait a minute. You just hit a deer while driving your new Hyundai Tiburon? Or while driving your old trade-in? Yikes. Rough start to enjoying your Tibby! I hope you get it back in tip-top condition if the Tibby was damaged in the front end right after you traded in for it.

• libra8libra8 Member Posts: 2
    My trade in was only $250 because I hit a deer the week before. The car was 11 years old so I didn't have collision on it. It would have cost more to fix it than it was worth. Guess I could have worded that post better.
    libra8. The Hyundai Tiburon is a favorite of mine and I am happy for you that you bought one. I like that you bought the 5-speed, however, there have been some 2003 Tiburons(the first year of this remodeled looking Tibby)that have blown their clutches out way too early. And Hyundai is calling it "normal wear and tear."

Please comment on this and then let us know how your clutch experience is going with your Tiburon, OK? Congratulations to you though, on your "new" used Hyundai Tiburon!

• jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    You may be able to get a break with a 08 new Scion Tc manual msrp 17900. (perhaps 16900 or better with some free (overpriced) add ons or an overallowance for your trade. In any event, I've read the 4 cyl in the Scion and eclipse much outperforms the 6 cyl tiberon and handling and quality is no match. For you to judge. I would explore this as the deal you describe doesn't seem that appealing. I can't believe the wholesale used price on the vehicle you describe via kbb.com or nada.com is more than 10000.

Good luck
    --jjf

Seems like a much better route than 13500 for a used hyundai.
    im looking at a 2004 tiburon gt v6 6 speed with about 30,000 miles on it. The person wants 13,500 for the car. I was wondering if that is a good deal or should i offer him a lower price. Any feed back would be much appreciated

thanks
  • lingpanda01lingpanda01 Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering what kind of price should I expect to pay for a 2008 Tiburon GS with Automatic and Premium Package (Sunroof + Cruise Control)?

The Hyundai Website says Total MSRP: $19,395.
    A dealer website in my area says Internet Price: $16,766.
    I'm trying to figure out what price I should expect to pay in total, out the door.

So what is a fair price I should pay out the door? What prices are other people paying for this set up? Is there a website that has a list of what people are paying for their cars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The msrp of the tiburon is about the same as the Scion tc that is similar. (See my message above) There is no comparison in quality. Scion wins. Scion is supposedly no dicker but with the depreciation of the tc (see 07 used kbb.com) from sticker there has to be some give. Usually in trade in over allowance or add ons for the no dicker types.

Tiburon is probably worse in depreciation, even at 2000 under msrp. (look up an 07 used wholesale) Add about 20% or so to the used wholesale price of a used 1yr old model for a target price on a new one for most autos. Read my message 4681 in the hyunda sonata prices paid forum and go from there.

The only real site for people listing prices paid would be users groups and this one on edmunds. Take edmunds TMV with a grain of salt though as it is sometimes a bit too high and others grossly inaccurate.

Good luck
    --jjf

I was wondering what kind of price should I expect to pay for a 2008 Tiburon GS with Automatic and Premium Package (Sunroof + Cruise Control)?

The Hyundai Website says Total MSRP: $19,395.
    A dealer website in my area says Internet Price: $16,766.
    I'm trying to figure out what price I should expect to pay in total, out the door.

So what is a fair price I should pay out the door? What prices are other people paying for this set up? Is there a website that has a list of what people are paying for their cars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk with consumers who bought or are thinking of purchasing a Hyundai. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com before Friday, May 16, 2008 with your daytime contact information.
  • shauns1shauns1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

I was looking to buy a Tiburon...this is my first experience with a Hyundai and two Tiburons in particular I was looking at were:

(1) 2003 SE 5 spd., 118K, leather, s/r, power everything for $7900 CAD

(2) 2001 SE 5 spd., 30K, s/r power everything for $7900 CAD

The 2001 has a very low mileage but obviously it is an older car....I was hoping to get some advice on the quoted prices as well as common mech/maintenance problems with both cars...at what mileage do the cars start giving serious problems. greatly appreciated!
    I was very interested in the 2003 Hyundai Tiburon coupe, in 5-speed form. Apparently there's problems with the clutches breaking in the first 20,000-30,000 miles on the 2003 Hyundai Tiburon's. Check the following model years for these problems, too. Hyundai will not cover clutch assemblies and even the flywheel connection. Head over to some other Hyundai Tiburon threads on the net and read up and you'll find out what I'm talking about. It's enough to make one consider getting a Hyundai Tiburon from that era that has an automatic transmission in it. Really! Nice looking car, though!

• bbab66bbab66 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Tiburon that I am selling. I checked with Edmunds and the est. price ranges are $5,840 to $7,061. My Tiburon has only 48,500 miles, is in excellent condition, and has a premium package (red color, sunroof, black side stripe). What in your opinion is my asking range. Thanks. LB
  • jeffcjeffc Member Posts: 16
    I was given a price of $18,432 (plus tax/title/etc) for a Tiburon GT with auto, sticker of $21,820. This includes all rebates ( 500 + 750 loyalty). Seems like a decent deal, wondering if others feel the same. We had a 05 Tib, that we had to sell in 06, but really liked it. Not sure if rebates will increase once the 09's come out. Also, like the new rear end, but I think I liked the 05 front better, but the new one is growing on me....
    Sounds like a great deal I bought a new 2008 Tib, Redfire Pearl in April.Automatic w/sunroof for $20,260 with a list of 23,149. I worked for months to get that price
  • stlrodstlrod Member Posts: 8
    2008 Black Tiburon GS, automatic, sunroof and cruise $12,525 plus taxes and registration (includes $3000 Tiburon rebate, $1500 owner loyalty rebate and additional $750 HMFC rebate being offered through 3/31.)
This discussion has been closed.