Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy TrailBlazer Transmission Problems

Comments

• mudbone1mudbone1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having trouble shifting my 2002 GMC Envoy out of park. The selenoid is firing (thanks msg #14638 and #16932). When I turn the vehicle off the key does not go into the lock position and the shift button still operates. In order to get my key out I have to turn the key to the on position and back again. It then goes into lock, my key comes out and the shift button is locked. However, when I start the vehicle the shift button will not release, even though selenoid is firing. If I push forward and up on the shifter, the button will depress. Any ideas? Anyone else having this problem?
  • shanrobshanrob Member Posts: 4
    I have a '04 Trailblazer that has just been declared a lemon by the TX Dept of Transportation. They have ordered GM to repurchase it. I know of the problem that GM says is Normal . I had 2 drive shafts replaced. The driveshaft is an aluminum tube and resonates every noise from the drive line. I tried to tell them there was more wrong than that. They insisted it was normal. I won my Lemon Law case on a different issue though.
  • sammykrasssammykrass Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 model, and am having some issues with the transmission. Yesterday when I started up the car, it was reving higher than it should have, and it really didnt have much torque. On the highway I had problems getting enough power to pass people. It was towed yesterday by the chevy dealer to the dealership, and at the dealership the battery died, and the computer completely reset, any idea what is with that? And the dealership called and said they found a black box that when driving when u move it, the transmission goes either back to normal or goes to reving high, like the bands are slipping, and also they have no idea what it is. Our trailblazer only has 28000 miles on it. Any ideas about

A. The mysterious black box
    B. The not enough power
    C. The battery dying and the computer resetting

Thanks
    All I can say is thank god that its still under full warrenty.
  • sammykrasssammykrass Member Posts: 4
    our whole trailblazer issue is solved, it was a bad ignition switch, that was the whole problem...I hope that helps some people with the same problems
  • rpfd310rpfd310 Member Posts: 1
    I PURCHESED A 2005 TB IN JULY I HAVE NOW BROGHT MY TRUCK IN FOR THE SECOND TIME... WHEN DRIVING A SHORT DISTANCE THE TRUCK WOULD FAIL TO UPSHIFT AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WOULD COME ON.. THE FIRST TIME I BROUGHT IT IN THEY SAID NOTHING WAS WRONG W IT NOW THE ARE FINALLY SAYING THE SHIFTER IS FAILING TO UPSHIFT DOESN ANYONE KNOW IF THEY ARE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SICE I SEE IM NOT THE ONLY ONE W THIS PROBLEM?? :lemon:
  • beck74beck74 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 chevy blazer s/10 model. The transmission is bad. I am living in Germany and am wondering if someone could help me cross reference the transmision. Is there another chevy vehicle that would use this same tranmission? It is a 95 Chevy Blazer S/10 model v/6 with an automatic transmission.

Thanks
  • wrenchspin2wrenchspin2 Member Posts: 37
    I think someone in a past post had asked this question, but I didn't see any direct answer in reviewing the posts. Is there any preventitive measures to help prolong or avoid this component failure? If you change the trans fluid does the "better lubrication" of new fluid help or no? I am not familiar with this part, what exactly does it do/function? My wife told me a few days ago that she was going up a hill and she thought she was pressing the gas a good amount but "it wasn't going anywhere...like it lost power". Happened twice. It hasn't reoccurred recently to my knowledge and when I drive the truck I have not experienced any slippage or high rpm spurts, but I suspect the problem could be starting...has 50K on it. The vehicle is leased for 60k and wondering if it will hold out till then or anything helpful I can do (like new fluid) until return time.
    Thanks. :confuse:
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Great Question! I will be anxious to hear any responses too. I still have the shudder & bump when at a stop light when the car is cold. I have almost 51,000 miles on my 2002 Envoy in 4 yrs and 4 months. Other than this issue, which is intermittant, still love the vehicle.
  • tomg3tomg3 Member Posts: 1
    When I tried to use AWD nothing happened. Simultaneously, the "Check AWD" warning lite came on. On Star couldn't provide any insight. I have not experienced any trans issues prior to this occurance. After reading several postings I have not noticed any that mention a failure to shift into AWD (or 4WD). Any insights as to what I might be in for when it gets into the shop?
  • ddmiddletonddmiddleton Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Trailblazer EXT that nearly ran me over yesterday when it began rolling backwards down my driveway while in park. I was able to open the front door and turn the steering wheel to avoid a collision with another vehicle across the street. I haven't a clue why it rolled or why I was able to steer the truck. I thought the steering wheel should have locked. Anyone else out there ever hear of that before...thanx.
  • aelittlebaelittleb Member Posts: 2
    I am having a similar problem with my 2002 Envoy. Sometimes when I am in 2WD, it will shift into neutral without me shifting. I have to pull over and either turn the car off and restart or put the car into 4HI. I have an appt at the dealership next week but my local mechanic says it might be one of the following- a problem with the transfer case motor, a problem with the switch on the dash, or the computer may need to be reprogramed. I do a lot of highway driving and I have to drive in 4HI to ensure nothing shifts while I am driving.
    My switch had a mind of its own some time back. Replaced the switch and no further problems.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I don't know what happened in your specific case to cause it not to lock in park, but this is a good example of why you should always set the parking brake for safety.
  • pizza55pizza55 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 chevy trailblazer and at around 40,000 miles it startted making a "whining" noise in the front driver side. someone said it could be the wheal bearing but it doesnt seem like it is since it still runs and i think the bearing would have seized up by now. does any one thinnk it could be the cv axle? any help!!?? thanks
  • lmavroslmavros Member Posts: 2
    could the addition of an after market transmission cooler help solve the problems . seems like most of the problems are caused by heat .. i just bought a o5 tb new and have 600 miles on it with no problems yet . and after reading this i am going to add a after market cooler and extend my warranity
  • patterjcpatterjc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Trail blazer LS. Just recently it started a high pitch whine and we could not get it to drive over 50 mph. no longer has any umph any suggestions???
  • aelittlebaelittleb Member Posts: 2
    I brought my Envoy to the dealership and they found the problem. It was the encoder motor censor. He said it wasnt reading the way it should and it would hang up. Hopefully the problem is fixed!
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    Wow, you are putting the miles on yours. I thought I was putting a lot of miles on mine (2002 TB with 85,000 mi). In my experinces, bearings will not "whine", they will make a "growling" noise that gets worse over time. Have you hit a curb or colvert very hard recently? Try wiggling your tires when in parked on a level service. If the right front has more play than the others, then it could be the bearing. Or you could try driving near a wall or have a friend drive next to you with the windows rolled down to see if it is making noise outside the vehicle. Let us know.

If your bearing seized your wheel will probably have fallen off!
  • bigbassguy1bigbassguy1 Member Posts: 10
    I received a recall from GM for this speific problem with my 02TB. At the dealer, they told me they needed to calibrate the transmission?
  • pizza55pizza55 Member Posts: 2
    I miss typed, its a 2004 but i do have a lot of miles on it (70,000)! The noise is coming from the front by the wheel and its not a high pitch noise but rather a low tone groan. It starts faint and then as I pick up speed, it gets louder. I just took off the wheels and gave everything a visual check and it seems fine, theres no metal shavings from anything grinding and things seem greased up. The noise changes as i turn the wheel so that makes me think that it has something to do with a joint in the front end and not the bearing because the bearing is always still.
  • buwadibuwadi Member Posts: 2
    I purchased 2005 TB 4x4 LS. When the gear shift from 1st to 2nd speed I notice sometimes a slight vibration coming from the bottom of the car. I checked with the dealer two times for the same problem. In the first time they told me there is no problem in the transmission and in the second time they do wheel alignment and balancing!!!! but with no use. So, what could be the problem. Please any help.
  • a209pa209p Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 Trailblazer EXT new. I'm repairing the transmission for the third time! And of course each time it happened I was out of town and could not return to dealer I purchased vehicle from for the repairs.
    The first failure occurred at about 15,000 miles. I complained that dealer did not replace transmission, but elected to repair original; GM gave me a 75,000 mile warranty to appease. The second failure was at about 42,000 miles (and 500 miles from home - had to wait several days to even get it repaired). The third failure happened this week, 77,500 miles (of course it is beyond the 75,000 warranty)and again I'm 500 miles from home.
    I WILL NEVER BUY A GM PRODUCT AGAIN!
  • 1sprinter1sprinter Member Posts: 1
    The noise changing when you turn the wheel is a very good indication that it is a wheel bearing. With a left front bearing if you turn right the weight transfers to the left hand side of the vehicle increasing the load on the bearing causing the noise to become louder. When you turn left the weight transfers to the right thus unloading the left side bearing and causing the noise to become diminish. The opposite is true for a right hand bearing.
  • jtcookiemonjtcookiemon Member Posts: 1
    YOUR FAN CLUTCH HAS FAILED. MINE WENT OUT ON MY TRAILBLAZER AT @ 50000 MILES. SOUNDS LIKE A WHINE YOU HEAR FROM A LAND ROVER AND ZAPPS YOUR POWER DUE TO THE FAN SPINNING CONSTANTLY. MAY NOT BE YOUR PROBLEM BUT CHECK IT OUT ANYWAY. JT
  • poppabusapoppabusa Member Posts: 1
    My 02 Bravada is doing something similar. Loud blowing noise as soon as the engine starts, and no power when you drive it. It goes away after a couple minutes. What is involved in checking the fan clutch?
    Thanks
  • kai00051kai00051 Member Posts: 1
    So I was pulling into the bank this morning, had the wheel cranked all the way to the left, low fuel light on - then the front end of the truck started to hum/vibrate a bit - I think it was due to the wheel being cranked all the way and just how it was idling.

Anyway, as I get to the drive through, I look at my 2WD/AWD/4WDhi/4WDloi knob, and it's blinking AWD and 4WDhi....so I think "what the heck?" (its currently in 2WD), and I click it from 2WD to 4WDhi, and then back. Then the truck clunks - and away I go.

Now, I had a friend who said his TB kept randomly going from 2WD to 4WD randomly...etc., and he had a beatch of a time getting it fixed.

Whats up with that, is this common? Should I be worried?

Thanks! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

PS, had this truck for 4 months - bought the 100,000 extended warranty.

PSS, my dash ticks annoyingly too. So if it goes in, it's all getting fixed for my $200 deductible, or someones losing an eye!
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    More than likely the dash selector switch is bad, this was a problematic part on the TB. :(
  • zackr76zackr76 Member Posts: 1
    I research 2005 and 2006 Trail Blazers EXT for potential purchase. I've been reading a lot of messages about transmission problem, which is not good. Should I stay away from these SUV's? If I do buy one, does anyone recommend the extended warranty?
  • delpretejdelpretej Member Posts: 1
    Our 2002 trailblazer just started dropping out of gear. Once you stop and restart the vehicle it runs fine until the next time. Unfortunately, It happened twice in the high speed lane at 75 mph. It happened again and the truck was towed to the dealer. Imalfunctioned there but they shut it off and now cannot duplicate the problem again. They're keeping it until they find out why this is happening.
  • mstarr13mstarr13 Member Posts: 15
    This morning as I was accelerating in between 20-35 MPH. I heard a HUGE thump and it felt like Someone hit me head on. My transmission started whining like a 4 year old at bed time and refused to upshift unless I completely left off the gas for a sec. Reverse no longer functioned at all. I got it in to the dealer (luckily I did buy the extended warranty). They are telling me some part called a shield was hosed and had all the teeth sheered off of it. I imagine that was the bang I heard, it must have messed up when it shifted. Anyone have 1 any idea what that full part name is and 2. ever heard of this happening? My TB has 60,000 miles on it.
    I beleive that the Sun Shield is the name of the infamous part.
  • cosgrovecosgrove Member Posts: 4
    I,ve had my 02 trailblazer transmission rebuilt twice.1st time @41000 mi.,2nd time@63000 mi.Even though I like the trailblazer I cannot afford to have the transmission rebuilt every two years. Seems like the sunshell gear they put in these transmissions isn,t built to withstand the wear and tear.Since I took the car to an independent, chevy would only pay a percentage of the parts,not the labor.I am now thinking of trading to a Tahoe before the transmission acts up again,and hoping the Tahoe doesn,thave the same problems.Any suggestions?
  • mstarr13mstarr13 Member Posts: 15
    Yes. the service guy had a STRONG southern accent so shell became shield. The repair was $1,900 luckily I had the extended warranty and only paid $250. Sort of funny how quickly they found the problem. I got the impression they had fixed a lot of these. Anyone know exactly why these things apparently have an issue with burning out?
  • lmeolalmeola Member Posts: 1
    I lease a 02 Trailblazer, And the warranty was up in Oct.
    Now when I start my car in the morning or when it has been sitting and is cold I hear a clicking but than it stops, My mechanic after he checked all belts and pully's , He said he thinks it's internal, And said take it to Chevy and let them look at it , Could you please let me know what signs your Blazer had.
    Thank you Lmeola
  • harvey2sharvey2s Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with the 4x4 on mine. The light is out to show you what mode it is in (2wd, awd, 4x4 Hi, 4x4 lo). When I move the switch, nothing happens. I've checked the many fuse blocks and found nothing wrong. Any help from you geniuses would be appreciated, before I pay an arm and a leg on repairs.
  • markothundermarkothunder Member Posts: 2
    picked up my 2006 AWD Trailblazer SS Monday 1/30/06 7:00pm and drove away very happy. Awesome truck, power, everything. 30 miles later that night the transmission would not down shift, and acted like trying to start out in a manual Trans in 4th gear and feathering the clutch, rather than down shifting. Not long after the check engine light came on. ON STAR said it was a module problem, and not major. Called my salesman and of course the service dept. was closed. Took it in the next morning, turned out to be a 2/3 solenoid. Drove fine the rest of the day and the next. Thursday 2/2/06 the same thing began again. Took it back in and now they said it is a valve body assembly, or something like that, no parts available anywhere, and it may be 2 weeks before I get my truck back. I contacted GM right away. We will see. I have a Honda Accord that I have driven for 50,000 miles and never been back to the dealer even once and it drives like the day it left the lot. GM wonders why they are losing market share? Maybe try some quality control and build a car that won’t fail before the ink is dry on the paperwork. I guess $42,000.00 doesn’t buy much anymore? Anyone else have problems like this??
  • eyesadrifteyesadrift Member Posts: 1
    Anyone out there know if the '98 blazer 4x4 has the dreaded 4L60E tranny? It failed after about 47K miles, was replaced, and we got rid of the car. Our next car? An '02 Envoy! After reading these posts I think we'll be putting it in the paper tomorrow...
    Thanks for the info.
  • ccd2kccd2k Member Posts: 1
    Stick with the Japanese cars. American and German cars look really good, but they both always have transmission related problems. Overheating problems are also common with american cars. The price doesn't matter. I've seen $80,000 BMW's have multiple transmission problems.
  • joan4joan4 Member Posts: 1
    My transmission went out on my 2003 TB with 43,000 miles. Luckily, I'm under extended warranty but the transmission shouldn't have gone out at only 43,000 miles. I plan to inform GM and ask for further coverage for the transmission. My extended warranty is not with GM. I'm concerned that there will be further problems with the transmission. Does any one have advice or guidance.
  • hrlehrle Member Posts: 1
    In Dec. I purchased a 2005 TB Demo leftover. Last week while parked with engine running and transmission in park, the transmission shifted from 2HI to A4WD all by it self, then after about 2-3 minutes it shifted back. This happened about three times while I was sitting there. Then two days later it happened again while stopped in traffic. Took it back to dealer and they replaced the switch, because they could not get any problem messages from their computer. They told me if it happened again to bring it in and the will keep it for a few days. They said they will give me a rental if they had to do this.
  • tenniscrbtenniscrb Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 Trailblazer that has been fun to drive except for a few minor problems such as an engine replacement at 13,000 miles and last night the transmission has gone awry at 45,950 miles. I could not get the transmission in reverse this morning to back out of the garage. I plan to take the Trailblazer to the dealer later today to get expected bad news of a complete transmission failure. I just had the TB in the dealer 2700 miles ago for an oil change. Sounds like a 'sun gear' problem based on reading the info from this forum.

To make matters worse, I found out last month that my extended warranty purchased 13 months ago for $1700 thru 1st Source Warranty is defunct due to Primeguard's reinsurance backruptcy. I am not making this stuff up!

I plan to push GM hard to repair this Trailblazer at no cost to me.
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    Mine has done that clicking since day one when car has been left overnight or when it is cold. I think it is normal with these vehicles- though I let mine idle for 2-3 minutes before driving. Once warmed up, the clicking goes away. It takes a little time for the oil to get moved through the engine is my theory
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    If it's the same ticking ours was doing on cold start, a PCM reprogram cured it. It sounded like a noisy lifter. It's not the same as the ratcheting sound from the mode door actuator which was repaired at the same time, all under major guard warranty.
  • kln1964kln1964 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Trailblazer also has the loud ticking noise. My friend who bought one the same year also has the loud ticking noise. Whatever has gone wrong with mine, the same for hers. Interesting.....
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I have had that 4WD switch replaced at least twice under warranty and it still happens about once every 4 to 6 months. I'm long out of warranty so I'm not going to pay for another faulty switch.
  • emd123emd123 Member Posts: 1
    Similar to yourself, I am was reversing out of my driveway last week and experienced a HUGE thump and the vehicle no longer would reverse or go forward. The dealership had to overhaul the trans. This is just my most recent problem aside from taillamps, 4WD, locks, doors, windows, and all recalls. Similarly, my vehicle was at just over 60,000 miles. I have been researching on web and appears other consumers have been experiencing reoccurring problem trans every 30,000 miles. Think we all need to call GM customer service line and force them to address this trans problem and all the other problems on the 2002 trailblazers.
  • lightminerlightminer Member Posts: 14
    Mine also 'shifts into neutral' under normal driving conditions. Once was on a 3-mile wide bridge on a rainy night, could have been very dangerous. Also I was on cruise control so after shifting the RPMs went up to redline. It then stopped trying, I'm glad there is some sort of automatic process that does that, otherwise I assume the engine would have blown... The other time my mom was driving and we were in the middle of an intersection! Almost better. I've paid lots of money for new 4WD dash switch, and also the 4WD control module inside the dash. I see your reply to your own message and will see if that helps, when they replaced the control module it worked fine for 2 weeks and then went bad again.

For anyone else who has this, as a short-term fix if you drive in awd it is completely fine and never slips out.
  • tellmewhytellmewhy Member Posts: 1
    *sigh* :cry: I purchased this vehicle used July 2005 from the dealer. It had 35k miles. Yesterday (49300 miles) my transmission died - I couldnt drive in reverse. Not a good feeling! :sick: I purchased the 72k extended warranty -Thank God!! - so the repairs ($2650.00) are covered. I think I am going to research another extended warranty and check into trading this vechicle. My previous vechicle was a 95 318ti BMW - purchased new :shades: - no problems other than normal wear and tear - I kept it 10 yrs. 180,000 miles!!! I am researching a new SUV - foreign - of course. I love my TB - but I do not want to ever purchase another american made vehicle. :P
  • mydogmydog Member Posts: 4
    mine has same problem any luck!
  • mydogmydog Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2002 TB ltz. I had the same prob, took it to dealer where they replaced the switch. It now has about 45,000 miles , out of warranty and I have since then replaced 2 switches on my own. Now, It isn't working again, this time, no lights work at all on it so I order another switch. They are different now, I guess they improved them, but changing it didn't help this time!