Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S-10 Zr2 vs. Toyota Tacoma TRD

planzaplanza Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Hey, I'm getting a new truck soon and would like
to know how the ZR2 compares to the Tacoma with
TRD. I have already looked at the specs, but I
would like some testimonials etc....

Also, are there any good ZR2 sites on the net that
work? www.zr2.com is down.

Thanks

Comments

• alevanalevan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. I had a two wheel drive s-10 before the Tacoma. I can personally tell you that the s-10 had a lot of problems. I have not had my Tacoma for long but I have taken it off road and it is amazing what it can do with just factory supension. I am very pleased with my Tacoma. My brother has a 1999 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    it also performs very well. The Chevy will not hold its value in the long run and will also have a greater chance of having problems than the toyota or nissan. I also read an article in Motor Trend Magazine that compared all the major compact pickups and the chevy zr2 did not make it through the off road test because the frame warped. Tacomas are expensive but are probably worth the difference. My brothers nissan has turned out to be an awesome truck that cost less than most of the compact trucks. You might want to check those out too.

Adam
  • pvs1234pvs1234 Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a 95 S-10 2wd and have been completely dissatisfied with it. I have had numerous problems with the electrical system, and the build quality is inferior to most trucks by other makers. I look to purchase a new Toyota PreRunner V6 within the next few months.

Paul
  • cmbakercmbaker Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1988 toyota 4x2. It has over 300,000 miles with original engine and clutch. Nothing can touch the reliability of Toyotas. I have a friend with a 1996 S10, he's had transmission and electrical problems. I say it's well worth the extra money for the rock solid reliability of the toyota.
  • chevy10chevy10 Member Posts: 17
    Im am buying a 99 extended cab S10 Zr2 this next week and i have done plenty of research. This off-road package is the best around. It has the widest stance and the biggest tires. Toyotas TRD package doesnt give the truck any more suspension then the normal 4x4 already has. I would also rather buy an american vehicle. Even though Toyotas are being manufactured in the US they still consist of almost all oriental parts. One person said the Toyota is worth the extra money. For the Zr2 package is more then any Toyota Tacoma is sold for. S10 resail value is also at about 59% after three years and Toyotas is under 50. So you tell me which is worth the extra penny.
  • cyratcyrat Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a Chevy S-10 ZR2 and it's just awesome. I took it to Wyoming to try it out on some offroad country and it handled better than any expectation. For the money I think this truck is the best off-roader out there. If you are looking for an off road truck, I would highly recommend this one!!!
    I agree cyrat. I think the Zr2 is the best around. Not only does it perform the best but it looks the best. Im buying one tomorrow. Brand new. Ive looked into Tacoma but for not much more the S10 looks better and is faster.
    I agree cyrat. I think the Zr2 is the best around. Not only does it perform the best but it looks the best. Im buying one tomorrow. Brand new. Ive looked into Tacoma but for not much more the S10 looks better and is faster.
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    I have a 99 Tacoma TRD 4x4 and does great off roading. I guess that the Zr2 S-10 is equal to that of the TRD, with the excepton of the torque.
    Hi, just writing about my new Zr2. Everythings gone well and there hasnt been any problems. I havnt had one complaint. But there is one thing. Because the tires are so big, mud flaps wont fit without rubbing on the tires. Just wondering if anyone out there knows about what I could do. Im going to put some chrome rocker panels on the side to protect the paint. Ive already got about 500 miles on it and Ive followed the breaking in instructions very well. I like the TRD also but im very happy i went with the S10
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Congrats on your new truck.
  • mcravenmcraven Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 99 Tacoma TRD for almost 10 months, and have not had a single problem. I looked an the Zr2 before buying, but after examing the resale and reliability aspects...the Tacoma won hands down.
  • lemoilemoi Member Posts: 2
    Been waiting for 3-weeks after I put my order in for a ZR2, and the dealer has different reason every week about why they cannot get the order in.. here in this area of PA, no one has any ZR2's on the lots... So I am trying to specail order one... I am not going to wait 4 or 5 Months though... I will end up buying a Dakota Sport if anything else... I currently have a 97-s10 4WD and it has been awesome.. But I have a reg-cab, and now want the extended cab... Also I like the ZR2 package.. I think the truck looks awesome with the package.. 31.5 tires ain't too shabby.. Although the Dakota Sport also comes with the exact size tires... Friday will tell, if they got the order in this week.. I'll get my ZR2, if not, Dodge may get my vote... Toyotas with the same options are way too much money.. I like thier styling, but not for all that cash..

Chevy goes by a what they have available to what you can order, and all the Chevy dealers in the US have to call in with thier computers at 12:00 noon eastern time to see whats available and what they can order... This is why I cannot get this ordered.. At Dodge, you put your order in, they fax it over and 6-weeks later your truck is there... Seems like they way to do things..

kam
  • jasonpeterclarjasonpeterclar Member Posts: 30
    Just read here on Edmunds that the 2000 ZR2 has "revised gear ratios to improve acceleration" Must mean 4.10's. Finally.
    4 wheel discs, 4.10's, rear locker, gee, almost a real good truck now.
    GM had to specially heat treat the front gears for durability with the 3.73.
    I wonder what they did to get 4.10's to work reliably (now that there is another 10% torque multiplication going on). Kryptonite?
  • farman4farman4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 ZR2 X-cab with 92,500 miles of pretty hard use and abuse off-road and have absolutely no problems as of yet. I used to buy a new truck every year or two but I have enjoyed my ZR2 so much I just never could part with it.
    The locker in the Toy is cool but I ordered my ZR2 with a Torsen diff and have no complaints with it. The only complaints I do have is mileage (14 to 18), poor turning radius, and excessive front brake pad wear(every 25,000 miles).

I do think the Toy TRD is the only other truck to consider if in the market for a compact 4x4, but my ZR2 has been hillbilly proof so far, and I try to buy American when I can (it is bad enough I have to buy a new [non-permissible content removed] race bike every year).
  • damnitdamnit Member Posts: 1
    iM LOOKING TO BUY A 2000 MODEL ZR2 AM GONNA HAVE TO ORDER IT . WHAT KIND OF SPECS DO U SUGGEST FOR THE MOST RUGGED TREATMENT HUMANLY POSSIBLE TO A ZR2. PLUS VERSATILITY AND FUN.
  • drandodrando Member Posts: 12
    CHEV VS TOY???? ZR2 VS TRD????
    I'VE HAD NISSAN SINCE 1976.. STILL HAVE MY 89 4X4
    ITS TOO GOOD TO GIVE AWAY (160K MILES)
    WE HAVE A 95 S-10 BLAZER AND A 99 XCAB-ZR2 NOW AND HERES A COUPLE POINTS TO PONDER...
    I CALLED AROUND TO MECHANICS AND ASKED ADVICE..
    I DIDN'T KNOW THESE GUYS AND THEY ALL RECOMMENDED
    THE CHEV JUST BECAUSE OF PARTS PRICES/AVAILABILITY AND EASE OF WORKING ON THE VEHICLES.
    THE NEWER CHEVS SEEM TO HAVE MUCH BETTER Q.C. THAN THE OLDER ONES (OF COURSE).....I THINK NISSAN/TOYOTA MAY BE BEGINNING TO REST ON THEIR PAST REPUTATION A LITTLE TOO MUCH, IT SHOWS IN THE PRICES.......
    MY NEW ZR2 (ABOUT 10K MILES NOW)(11TH DIGIT IN VIN IS '8' BY THE WAY) HAS SO FAR TURNED OUT TO BE A FANTASTIC VEHICLE. I GET 19 MPG MOSTLY EASY HIGHWAY DRIVING.
    I DRIVE 45 MILES INTERSTATE TO WORK..RIDES LIKE A CADDILLAC ON AND OFF ROAD (THAT SUSPENSION IS MOST DEFINITELY WORTH TWICE THE MONEY IT COST)
    I READ THAT CHEV HAS A NEW REAR END FOR 2000-ZR2'S PROBABLY THE 4.10..THATS GONNA REALLY TICKLE THE OFFROAD CROWD BUT IS REALLY GONNA HIT MOST ZR2 BUYERS HARD IN THE BACK OF THE BRITCHES (MOST PEOPLE ONLY PUT MAYBE 5% OF THEIR MILEAGE INTO SERIOUS OFFROADING, THE REST MAINLY BACK AND FORTH TO WORK..)A 4.10 IS ''NOT'' AN ECONOMY REAR END.....IT WOULD DO MOST OF US GOOD TO JUST REMEMBER THAT TRANSFER CASE HAS A HIGH/LOW RANGE ON IT...
    THE 95 BLAZER (ABOUT 80K MILES) GETS ABOUT 20
    MPG AND IS STILL QUIET AND SOLID AS WHEN IT WAS NEW...I DID PUT NEW BILSTEINS ON IT $49 EACH AND WORTH EVERY PENNY
    BASICALLY I AM EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH THE 2
    S-10S THAT WE OWN, ALL VEHICLES SHOULD GET GOOD
    ROUTINE MAINTENANCE , KEEP THE SMALL THINGS TIGHT/CLEAN/GREASED
    AND THE BIG THINGS WILL LAST A LOT LONGER..
    HOPE THIS (I GUESS ITS A DOCUMENTARY NOW HUH?)
    HELPS
    R.
  • tonyw3tonyw3 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2000 Zr2 and I was wondering if they still came stock with BF goodrich tres-
  • rsmtomrsmtom Member Posts: 28
    I recall reading that Chevy rates the payload capacity of ZR2-optioned trucks as only 900 pounds (several hundred fewer than regular S10s), which seems quite low for its class. Anybody know why Chevy did this? I think the TRD truck is rated for nearly 1700 pounds.
  • monte7fivemonte7five Member Posts: 2
    I've just picked up the November issue of Truckin magazine. In it there is an article called"Factory Truck Shootout", this article lists,along with the Silverado SS w/vortec6000 engine, Searing Silverado with a supercharged vortec 4800 engine etc....
    Anyway my question is has anyone else heard of these vehicles from another source or can they confirm them. I thinking of buying a 2000 Zr2 4WD S-10 but the supercharged Toy. Tacoma sure is inviting
    RSMTOM was asking about the ZR2 payload?
    Check the label on the inside of the driver door,
    it shows the payload, my xtra-cab ZR2 shows 750 lbs, (the regular cab may be 900..)
    The ZR2 has a track bar connecting the frame rail to the rear axle
    it is located almost right above the rear diff.
    That track bar may have something to do with payload reduction, its purpose is to keep the relationship of frame/axle about the same, particularly in the horizontal direction..
    as you load the truck the springs compress and the axle gets closer to the frame, that track bar
    resists this change.....
    If you load the truck too much that track bar or its connections would probably be where some damage would occur......
    CHEV never said the ZR2 was a worktruck, and it's
    not, but compact trucks are all very light duty anyway...(some are rated for more weight but probably shouldn't do it very often)..
    the fullsize trucks were made for heavy hauling/towing, but then again try getting one of them through some smaller logging roads and you see where the smaller 4x4s come in...
    If you want a off-road play/hunt truck...ZR2
    you want heavy work truck?.. fullsize (and the newer silveraldo get almost the same gas mileage..
    hope this helps..
    ( I checked all this before I bought the ZR2 also)
  • rsmtomrsmtom Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the input regarding ZR2 payload ratings. What I was after was trying to find out whether or not there was some mechanical deficiency in the truck which limits its payload to a rather noncompetitive amount. You see, I happen to be someone who uses a compact truck for work--I'm a finish carpenter. A normal day has about 300 pounds of tools on board, in addition to me and a tank (19gals) of gas. Then there are those days when I need to haul materials as well. Would I want to regularly carry over 1/2 ton in a small truck? Absolutely not! But it is nice to not have to worry about exceeding the manufacturer's load limit on those days when I have to move a lot of stuff. I limit myself to a compact truck because So. Cal. is a very crowded place--a full size would be a misery to live with day-in-day-out.
    You're very right about small 4X4's offroad--much preferable in tight places. I can only have one vehicle, and so it has to do everything for me: work mule, grocery getter, escape rig. That's why I splurge on 4 wheel drive--gotta' get out in the desert in the winter months to unwind.
    As it happens, drando, here in So. Cal. ZR2's are very rare, so I've not been able to look one over in any detail. Dealers seem uninterested in the truck. If you've got the time, I'd like to hear about your experience with the ZR2--quality, reliability, performance on and off road, fuel economy, and anything else which comes to mind. The 3rd door option is appealing, as is the V6 power. I am concerned about push-button transfer case operation (not just Chevy's), automatic hubs (ditto), and turning radius (there are hints, but no specifics, about ZR2's having an unusually large turn radius).
    Thanks again, drando, for your reply to my previous post.
  • jimmyb4jimmyb4 Member Posts: 2
    I know this is the wrong area for thhis but has anyone driven an xtreme s-10. I was thinking about looking at one and I was trying to find out if it was even worthwhilw looking at?
  • walters3walters3 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 extended cab zr2. I love it. wouldn't drive anything else. The only problems I've had are the tire scrubbing(dealer raised torsion bars, cost free), transmission solenoid(warrenty), and a small oil leak at the oil filter adapter($140)
    that is more than exceptional for the many midnight in the construction site trips, and the many four-wheeling, and rock-crawling trips, you name it and the truck has been there and done that. The only two times that I have been stuck was because the truck is too long to make it over very large mounds, but thats what you have the skid plates for and that is why the frame rails are the lowest point on the truck.
    I get about 16 mpg now at 40,000 miles, the first year I had it I got about 13 mpg.
    You hear alot of mumbo jumbo about the push-button 4-wheel drive but I've NEVER had my truck not go into four wheel drive, I've had it stay in for an extra ten seconds, but never not engage.
    The third door is a must and so are the aluminum skid plate package if you go off-road any.
    There is no engine option because the 4.3 is the best v-6 ever produced by GM.
    Any more questions feel free to e-mail me(I'm really bored and I love to talk about my truck, as you can tell)
    Mike Walters
    of Georgia
    michwalt@juno.com
  • zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    Man...I am really sorry you had so much trouble. I had the same kind of runaround with a 98 F150 Ford I had. I saw much more coming and ditched it after 4 months of ownership. I had been a Ford owner for 15 years prior to that.

Prior to the 98 F150, in conjunction with another F150, I did own a 96 Toyota Tacoma 4X4,ext cab V6, the works. I used it as a daily driver and occasional offroad when hunting where I did not need to carry a lot of equipment, etc.
    I had the head gasket problem at 19k miles, but Toyota went all out to fix it and extended my 60k powertrain warranty out to 100k miles IN WRITING.

I now have a 99 Z71 Silverado and although I have had a few very minor problems, it is by far the best truck I have ever owned. Yeah, I know that Chevy is not the greatest in customer satisfaction, but still much better than Ford.
    I would still drive a Toyota if they had a real competitor in the full size trucks. The Tundra still is a compact truck in my eyes.

I guess its all in what your need is that determines what make you buy. If I were to buy another small pickup, I would highly consider another Tacoma, but there are many factors to consider also.

1.You may have just gotten a lemon. All makes have them.
    2.The S10 has many more options than the Tacoma
    3.The S10 is much cheaper initially than the Tacoma and much cheaper to repair outside of warranty. The parts are almost 1/2 the cost of Toyota.
    4.There are good dealers and bad dealers for all makes. Did you try another dealer or go to the same one? You may have gotten very satisfactory service from a different GM dealer. I know I have on several occasions. I won't go back to my selling dealer for so much as a light bulb. Thats a long story too.

All this to say....I am not a loyal Chevy owner. I will buy whatever will give me the best value for my money. However, don't be too quick to give up on Chevy for the reasons I mentioned before. I could tell some not so good stories about Toyota cars from my mothers and sisters experiences also. Don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch.

I too have fishd some tournaments. I remember the looks I used to get putting in my boat and taking it out with a Toyota among tons of Chevy trucks. The dissention was very apparent. I know that is trivial but it is something I thought about. I never liked being the outsider at the tournaments.
    It "was" pretty funny pulling in with my 4000 lb bass boat behind a Tacoma!! It pulled that boat really well.
  • zaraspookedzaraspooked Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, I went through several dealers as follows: first dealer attempted to fix first electrical problem. Not only did they fix it incorrectly they burned a hole through my new floor mats and carpet and when they replaced the carpet they did the worst job I've ever seen. the carpet had been not cut to specks and had bubbles everywhere. The next time the truck broke down (1 week later!!) for the exact same reason, a different dealer had it in the shop for a week trying to figure out what was wrong. A FRIGGIN WEEK!!!! I was under the impression these people were trained to fix all aspects or problems quickly. They told me,
    over the phone, after three days that they were working with techs over the phone from back east trying to fix it. Then after I left that shop thinking my truck was fixed, later on that evening when it was dark I notices that non of my inside lights were working and also my four wheel drive would not engage. Now I head back to where I bought this piece of sh** and have them fix it along with a couple of other warranty related problems. They call me later on that evening while I was at work and assure me everything is working properly. I personally asked the department manager to please double check everything so that when I get down to the shop I can be in and out so I can get back to work. He tells me that it will be done. So I head down to the shop and as soon as I get there and talk to the department supervisor he cannot find my paperwork. I had just talked to this idiot 30 minutes prior and now he cannot find this paperwork!! So he tells me to check out the truck while he searches for the paperwork. Within 10 seconds after checking out the truck I find out that I Have absolutely no rear lights working on the truck at all!!!! So I turned around and stared in disbelief at the service manager who turned absolutely as white as a ghost. He had to repair this problem while I waited. So instead of a five minute in and out deal I was there for over an hour!!!!! I cannot get them to do an easy oil change without the truck leaking oil twice from the oil filter at two different dealerships!!!!! I've changed the oil in the truck at least twice without a problem. By now this is 3 different dealerships!!! But I'm still not done!! Driver's side outside power window breaks and now I head to the 4th different dealership to get this problem fixed along with an oil change and a tire rotation. I leave the truck at the dealership at 8 a.m. because I need the truck back at 2 p.m. to go to work. The service manager told me that the earlier I brought the truck in the faster it would get fixed. He personally told me that the mirror would take an hour and the oil change and tire rotation would be about 45 minutes. So I arrive back at the dealership at 2 p.m. and I see the truck still parked inside the shop in the stall where it was left that morning. So I approach the service manager and ask if the work on the truck is finished. He replies that the tire rotation and the oil change are finished but they haven't even started to replace the outside rear view mirror and that if I could wait around for another hour and a half he would get someone right on it. It was all I could do to just tell that guy to give me my keys and get my paperwork so I could get the hell out of there. I WAS ABOUT TO GO CHARLES MANSON IN THERE BY NOW!!!!!!! They had my vehicle in there for 6 hours to do an
    hour and 45 minute job only to tell me that they could only get 45 minutes of it done? I scheduled this friggin appointment 2 weeks in advance!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Believe me they will never forget who I was with the fit I through at that shop!! My last episode was with the place where I bought the truck. When It broke down for the alternator I had it towed to them and they told me that they would try to get to it before the day was over. And my reply was very stern with this guy that he had better get someone on this truck asap or he was in for a real surprise. So he had it fixed three hours later and wouldn't give me a courtesy shuttle back to where I had to turn in the rental car that I had to pay for. I hate to be rude to people but the only time it seems that I got any courtesy from any of these nuckleheads was when I was buying this hunk of junk. I am not a hard person to please but I expect what I pay for and I haven't received this yet. I live in the seattle, wa area and I have been to delearships in Federal Way, Seattle, Renton, Kent, and Auburn,WA. and the only one that I believe I was treated respectable was in Auburn only because I was "PAYING" for a brake job!!! DO NOT BUY CHEVY VEHICLES, THEY ARE NOT "LIKE A ROCK" AND YOU HAD BETTER BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THAT THEY SURE AND THE HELL ARE NOT THE MOST DEPENDABLE TRUCKS ON THE MARKET. Signed, have had my vehicle towed to the dealership 3 times in 2 years!!!!!1
    Well, I guess your mind is made up. Too bad Chevy couldn't get it right for you. I had the same experience with Ford. However, you could go buy a Toyota and get the exact same thing. I have witnessed it first hand.

Good luck with whatever you buy. Shame on Chevy for not keeping your business. However, I still have confidence in Chevy trucks.
  • lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    So when someone buys a new truck and has problems they should give Chevy another chance. But when zbad71 buys a USED Ford with 35000 miles on it it's junk and all Fords and their dealers are much worse. Hmmmm. No need to reply zbad. Anyone who's seen your responses knows you'll have a fit and start calling names.
    Yep. Your right. Your Ford trucks are awesome! They rule all the junk yards across America.
    If Fords were so tough, 35k miles of pure hell should not have made it as big of a pile of dung as it was. Even brand new, the 4.6l and 5.4l are dogs! Netiher of them could pull itself out of a pot hole!
  • marksiemarksie Member Posts: 14
    I was looking over the maintenance guide for the
    Tacoma and found every 15,000 miles you have to
    "Lubricate the propeller shaft and re-torque bolts"
    Then it says to: "Re-torque drive shaft flange
    bolts" What's the difference between the propeller
    shaft and the drive shaft? What do you torque the
    bolts to? Where are the bolts on the propeller
    shaft to torque? Where are the flange boltslocated? Thanks for any help.
  • bvrmanbvrman Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently waiting for my 2000 zr-2 to be delivered. I've read through the postings and found mixed reviews. A few guys mentioned electrical problems with their S-10's. I don't know what year truck they own, but does anyone know if Chevrolet has addressed this problem for 2000. Also have there been enough problems to warrant a recall. Another Question, There seem to be mixed reviews on the highway ride quality. One guy says it rides like a cadillac and another says it rides like a stone. Any other input?
    Everyones preferences will vary and be subjective. Even mine if I had one. I have not owned an S10 since 1984 so I can't help. I just wanted to say that even if you get some opinions from owners, it may be the farthest from what you will experience yourself.
  • urchin34urchin34 Member Posts: 70
    Popped in here to see what I could find about Toyota TRD, since I drove one today. Certainly understand your feelings about Chevy experience. I lived 9 years as a Honda hostage, with far more problems than you mentioned in my first three years. So even the supposedly most reliable vehicle in the market can have its problems. Would I buy again? Probably not, not because of the car, but because of the dealers who refuse to stand behind a product. At any rate, my situation just got worse, not better after the warranty expired. Be smarter than I was, cut your losses and ditch it ASAP.

AS for the Toyota, my imagination, or are those seats going to be uncomfortable for long distances?
    "AS for the Toyota, my imagination, or are those
    seats going to be uncomfortable for long distances"

Yep. My 96 Tacoma was uncomfortable for ANY distance. I have to say it was a reliable truck though.
    Here's a little update,
    I still love this ZR2, I hate to hear the others having bad experiences, sometimes its individual dealerships not the manufacturers...
    fuel mileage 19-20 so far, I drive mostly interstate and I'm not usually in a hurry.
    turning radius is a little restricted.
    you gotta remember the size of those tires though.
    If they allowed a VERY small turning radius folks would probably be over stressing those steering components to much in hard offroading...I noticed it at first, but have gotten used to it now...
    At the moment one of the Bilstein shocks is weeping oil, It is ordered and will be replaced
    in about 2 days (doesn't make me hate Bilsteins though!!!!)
    I didn't get the ZR2 for a worktruck, I use my older nissan for that. I haven't really loaded it with 750 lbs yet... I am 190 myself, the aluminum box/tools is probably 150 maybe, during the winter I usually keep 2 50 lb sandbags under the truckbox.. so that rates about 1/2 the rated payload.. I would be pretty interested in talking to the Chev Spec engineer who kept that payload to 750 lbs myself,,, I'm sure Chev knows that people use payload as a comparison...
    Hunting season starts soon so my truck is fixing to get dirty, I've kept it clean so far
    because I keep checking everything for tight/clean/no-leaks etc while I'm wearing it in..
    Basically, as far as I'm concerned It does what it is designed to do extremely well, as far as a 'WORK TRUCK' I'd have to think about that one. Like I said earlier, I use my 10 yr old for that ( not nearly as worried about the scratches..)
    Hope this helps, I'll keep checking the articles..
    have you seen the page at?
    http://www.infinet.com/~hedkeg/ZR2/index.html
    he is getting some new pictures at his site...
    I get a lot of crap for using my 99 Silverado as a daily driver and for towing a bass boat. I use my 89 1 ton with 454 as my "work" truck. It has 225,000 miles and still works hard all day long. Leaks a little oil, but still no oil burn. It isn't as tight as at used to be. It has some squeeks and such, but for a truck that has been to hell and back and still tows a 40 foot gooseneck with livestock on the original engine and transmission, I think its held up pretty well.

I don't care what bad anyone says about GM trucks, they are the toughest, longest lasting trucks made in my opinion.

The 15 years of Fords I owned (8 total), I don't think any of them could take the beating that 89 Chevy 454 has taken and still be running as trouble free as it has.
    You ever heard "Take care of it, it'll take care of you..
    Treat her like a thoroughbred, she'll never turn into a nag...
    I've been pretty lucky I guess I never have got a lemon so far.
    I forgot a couple answers the last note
    I was pretty leary of the push-button 4x4
    myself. I swore I'd always have lockin-lugs.
    Them days R gone, my 89 NISS has them and I've never had a problem, but I'm glad I stay inside now (at least when I don't want to go out).
    I have had to replace the 2wd bulb in the switch on the 95 4x4 BLAZER but the switch/trans-case motor has never had problems. I have never lived in arctic conditions so I don't know if CCOOLLDD really affects the mechanism very much, I have read about people leary of it though..
    3rd door? came included with the ZR2 pkg,
    probably wouldn't have paid xtra for it at the time, but now? no question... I have had no rattles/squeaks/problems yet anyway...and by the way armor-all works well on the door trim rubber moldings too the 89 NISS is still air tight with the original moldings (at least as good as I remember it being when I got it).
    Have you tried calling CHEV about payload details?
    You can read up on trackbars as well, I read an article in one of the offroad magazines about a trackbar that can be locked to the fixed length
    (normal position like on a ZR2) or unlocked (allows the length to shorten/lengthen as the frame/suspension flexes)...but that bar does a lot for the ride/cornering on that ZR2..
    Good luck picking your new fun/work/stress-relief.truck
    see ya
  • HolliwoodHolliwood Member Posts: 46
    For what it's worth Petersen's 4x4 magazine test
    drove the Tacoma TRD, Chevy ZR-2, Mazda B-4000,
    Ranger, Dakota, and Frontier. They took them on
    their off-road course.

The Tacoma TRD won in their test and the Ranger
    was a close second. They choose the Tacoma because
    of it's off-road capabilities. Ranger road better
    on the highway and I think most the others rode
    better also. The Dakota and Zr-2 got the thumbs-up
    for appearance(I agree). They were the least
    impressed with the ZR-2. Also, they slammed the
    Frontier's plain look and weak motor. They also
    felt like the Dodge V-8 was not V-8 like. They
    thought it was weak. I beleive they figured that
    the transmission was robbing power. The tow hook
    snapped off the ZR-2 almost injuring one of the
    drivers, I guess it was stuck.

It has been about 4 months since I have actually
    read the article, I have the magazine somewhere
    around the house, but I think this is the order
    they rated them: 1. Tacoma TRD 2. Ranger 3. Dakota
    4. Frontier 5. ZR-2

This article came out about 2 months after I had
    my Tacoma. But, nevertheless, article or no
    article my Tacoma works great for me!! I do a
    little surf fishing and I have been highly pleased
    with its abilities. To me it rides better
    off-road, it never seems to be in a strain. And I
    never have to decreased the pressure in my tires.

Well, take the article for what it's worth. Test
    drive them and you make the call! That's what I
    did!
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Yes, but you also fail to mention the 5K difference in price between the Ranger and Tacoma, along with Tire differences.
  • HolliwoodHolliwood Member Posts: 46
    You're always complaining about Toyota's price!!! Yes, they are more expensive than comparable models. Why mention what everyone already knows!!!

You bought what you could afford and so did I!! To me 5K ain't nothin' when you talking in excess of 19K. Besides Rangers are cheaply made...you gotta pay the costs to be the boss!

Most mags complain about Toy's prices, but the fact still remains their cars and trucks almost always wins their approval!!! Your jealousy of those who can afford to pay more is pathetic and it shows with every baseless word you type!!

Tacomas are better than the current Rangers. I'm sorry you bought second best, work harder, save more money and you too can be #1! Good luck on your quest to find a better truck because that Ford will probably have all kinds of maintenance problems, in fact, it probably already has more rattles and squeaks than a 20 year old Pinto(another Ford disaster!)!! Resale values on the Ranger can't even compare to Tacoma's...you know I'm right, but you'd die B/4 you admit it!

Toyota has the better product for now. That's LIFE...NOW LIVE IT AND STOP STARTING BASELESS ARGUMENTS ABOUT YOUR CHEAP TRUCK!
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    HOLLIWOOD:

GOOD POINT W/ THE 4-WHEEL & OFF ROAD ARTICLE! I'VE GOT THE ISSUE MYSELF, & FOUND IT TO BE THE MOST NON-BIASED, APPLES TO APPLES COMPARISON I'VE READ. GRANTED, I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE THE ZR2 FINISH LAST, CONSIDERING IT WON 4-WHEELER OF THE YEAR WHEN IT CAME OUT. (1994 I THINK)

VINCE8:

$5000 DIFFERENCE? WHERE'D YOU GET THIS INFO? I'M NOT TRYING TO BE CONFRONTATIONAL, BUT I'M JUST CURIOUS. IN THE ARTICLE, THE TOYOTA LISTED AT $25,363; THE RANGER LISTED AT $23,190. GRANTED, THAT IS A $2173 DIFFERENCE, BUT NOWHERE NEAR $5000! THESE TRUCKS WERE SET UP & OPTIONED AS EQUALLY AS A FORD & TOYOTA COULD BE FROM THE FACTORY.

I'VE DRIVEN BOTH TRUCKS ON EXTENDED TEST DRIVES. (DRIVE IT HOME, KEEP IT FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS.) (BOTH WERE X-CAB, V-6, 4X4, 5 SPD.) THE RANGER DID HAVE THE 4.0 L. I DID THIS OVER THE COURSE OF 10 DAYS. MADE THE SAME 120 MILE ROUND TRIP TO WORK, AND SOME LITE OFF ROAD TIME AS WELL (THE TRUCKS WEREN'T MINE!-COULDN'T REALLY TEST THEM!)

BOTH TRUCKS WERE GREAT TRUCKS, EACH WITH THEIR OWN PRO'S & CON'S. BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT THE TOYOTA WOULD GET MY VOTE. THE RANGER DID RIDE BETTER OUT ON THE ROAD, & HAD A LITTLE BETTER SEAT HEIGHT. BUT THE TOYOTA'S POWER AT 70-80 ON THE HIGHWAY, COUPLED WITH THE HANDLING BOTH ON & OFF ROAD DID IT FOR ME. I COULDN'T TELL A DIFFERENCE IN POWER AT 3000RPM AND UNDER. BOTH TRUCKS PULLED THE HILL ON MY FAMILY'S FARM & THE POND BANK VIRTUALLY EVEN.

YES, THE TOYOTA DID COST MORE. BUT AT THE BOTTOM LINE, THE DIFFERENCE WAS LESS THAT $1200!

THE TOYOTA WILL BE MINE. OH, YES, IT WILL BE MINE! FINALIZING BUDGET NOW. GETTING MARRIED DEC. 4th, SO A HOUSE CAME IN A LITTLE HIGHER THAN A NEW TRUCK RIGHT NOW! PRIORITIES, MAN, PRIORITIES!
    Go to the 4wheeler site yourself www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/ptoty/98/ The price as tested for the Tacoma is $26,205 and for the Ranger is $21,475. And for those of you who feel the Tacoma is such a race truck. The Ranger does 0-60 in 11.55 seconds, and the Tacoma in 10.94 seconds. That makes it .61 second difference.
    This shoot off didn't fully load the Ranger either with the limited slip rearend and tow pkg.
    The tire difference also was a P235 compared to a 31" all terrain. The test was a joke, not apples to apples.
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    i've been to the website. as far as "feeling that the tacoma is such a race truck", i think you missed my point. (i think i had a point, anyway) i wasn't talking about 0-60 times. nor was i talking about 1/4 mile times. i can assure you, if 0-60 times were a factor in what i buy, i sure wouldn't be shopping for a truck.

i'm talking about every day, real-world, commuting back & forth to work, seat-of-the-pants driving. the tacoma, at highway speeds, felt more powerful. but after looking at the stats on both trucks, it stands to reason.

ford 4.0l 160 HP @ 4250rpm
    225 ft./lbs. torque @ 3000rpm

toyota 3.4l 190 HP @ 4800rpm
    220 ft.lbs. torque @ 3600rpm

like i said earlier, the trucks were practically identical when slow-going off road. i know the ranger has 5 more ft./lbs. of torque, and makes it at a lower rpm, but i couldn't tell the difference. i haven't looked at the torque/power curves side by side, but i'd guess that the tacoma's curve is a little flatter than the ranger's. i don't know.

here's the deal: are you happy with your truck? i'm happy for you if you are. i know bunches of people who have rangers, & wouldn't have anything else. i probably know the same number of tacoma owners as well. same feelings about their truck. it all boils down to being happy with whatever you've got. i just know which one i'll buy!

finally, i've read plenty of posts that go something like "...well my (insert truck here) will leave your (insert truck here) in the dust on the trails." if there is one thing i've learned in my mis-adventures off-road, its this.

i'd say 80-90% of the time, its not WHAT you drive, but HOW you drive it!

SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG POST.

keith24
    Couldn't agree with you more keith24. The driver is what makes the truck 80% of the time when offroading. There are just a few arguements that some bring into rooms saying the Tacoma will absolutly blow away a Ranger from 0-60, and has better torque, and better....
    Well, we can go on and on like you say.
    Enjoy your truck.
    Later.
  • hmartinihmartini Member Posts: 1
    I bought my s 10 in 1984, 2.8 v6 4speed manual tran. The truck almost never got a rest since it was our only vehicle. I taught 5 teenagers how to drive in this truck .200000 miles later when I got rid of it it still had the original starter and altenater. Never had the heads off or any major work done on it.So I am kind of partial to s 10's
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    Just take a look at what this site says about S10's "Spotty build quality, inferior-grade interior trim, low seating positions, poor crash-test scores". There is no need to get all huffy and defensive just get what you believe is best for you and you can afford. Of course a BMW costs more then a Hyundai but you have to pay for performance and reliability. I drive an 88 Toyota 4x4 with 115,00 and recently drove around the country and I MEAN AROUND THE COUNTRY and would trust my truck to drive it around the world if it was possible. How many S-10 or Ranger owners would do that with there trucks. I am about to purchase a new Tacoma and only made that decision after driving everything else. As far as reliability, I would rather continue to drive my rusted out 88 Toyota then get either the Ford or Chevy and the Nissan is about as ugly as it could be. I realize that I have become much more objective then I intended but I could not possibly go from a truck that has not given me a single problem to gambling on the quality of another. Toyota trucks are legendary for there toughness and reliability. What are S-10s and Rangers known for? (Rhetorical Question)
  • marksiemarksie Member Posts: 14
    If we could all just get past this mute point of
    comparing Toyotas and Fords and Chevys and start sharing some
    important information. I posted this message a few
    weeks back and no one seemed to know anything. Do
    you guys actually maintain your trucks???? So here
    it is again just in case there is anyone who has a
    any idea about this.
    I was looking over the maintenance guide for
    the Tacoma and found every 15,000 miles you have
    to
    "Lubricate the propeller shaft and re-torque
    bolts"
    Then it says to: "Re-torque drive shaft flange
    bolts" What's the difference between the
    propeller
    shaft and the drive shaft? What do you torque the
    bolts to? Where are the bolts on the propeller
    shaft to torque? Where are the flange bolts
    located? Thanks for any help.

bdev- I have a 1999 Tacoma 4wd 5sp ext-cab V6 with
    the TRD and the bench seat. I find it comfortable
    enough. It handles fine and there isn't much road
    noise. The stereo is kind of weak though. I get
    about 19-20 m.p.g. with a mix of town and highway
    driving.
    Yeah, Toyota known for toughness, how about those crash results, pretty tough to finish last in side and front impact. LOL!
  • 2sly4u2sly4u Member Posts: 28
    Must be that extra tough sheet metal they use. It is much thinner than the domestic trucks so it MUST be made of a much more durable alloy! You, know "Toyota Tough"! LOL!
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    Ford owners are much funner to argue with
This discussion has been closed.