Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-2X

marko69marko69 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Saab

Comments

• vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Probably?
  • marko69marko69 Member Posts: 2
    I actually was a bit shocked to read the news about the new 9-2. I would guess that the folks at GM are scrambling to do everything they can to save SAAB. I'm sure the new 9-2 will be a "re-badged" Subaru, but that's okay - as long as the "cockpit" retains the "SAAB look," I'll be happy.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    What a shame. GM should really be ashamed of themselves.

M
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    As we knew it seems pretty much dead. They are also planning to release a version of the Trailblazer/Bravada etc. I wonder what the high end version of the 9-2 will have hp wise. A Saab styled interior and exterior of the WRX would be nice but something tells me it won't have as much power as the WRX without costing as much as the 9-3
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    Supposedly there will be two versions of the Saab 9-2. A 9-2 with the regular Impreza engine and a 9-2 Aero with the WRX engine.

Sign me up for the 9-2 Aero.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    From Edmunds' Future Vehicle section: 2004 Saab 9-2 Compact Wagon. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Geez. How far does GM have to go to save Saab? i liked the 9-3 hatchback, and I like both models that are on dealer lots now, but I don't know how GM could redesign the Impreza to seperate the 2. Saab has to price the 9-2 under the 9-3, which starts at $25,995. A Japanese Saab? They're getting desperate! (same with the Saab SUV)
  • wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    Before the redesigning of the Saab 9-3, I wasn't all a lot sure about looking at a Saab. Then, I found out by going to there website, and looked at the new 9-3. If GM is really into saving a great company, they must be desperate. Is Saab running out of ideas. GM will be doing what they do best, platforms, with the Trailblazer/Envoy platform, Saab will be able to get Saab styling with there 9-8, as Edmunds reported.

How convincing will this 9-2 be? A rebadged Imprezza isn't really impressing. In order to keep the Saab lineup up and stable, will GM have to find other ways to create luxurious Sweeden vehicles and at the same time don't make the same mistake they have with the rest of the GM lineup? We'll have to see when they probably release the 9-2 at the Detroit/Chicago/NYC auto shows in 2004.
    There's an article in this month's Automobile magazine that says what Saab's plan is to save itself. The artist rendering of the 9-3 crossover looks nice and if it looks something similar then sales are probably going to rise. The 9-3 estate looks kinda ugly in that color they drew it in, but it would look nice. under that article, ironically, is an article about GM's plan to expand Hummer. The H3 they drew looks like a miniturized H2.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    to have an even smaller Hummer for a while now.

The thing I don't understand is why GM would tell Saab it could no longer have a 9-3 hatchback, which had been the standard style for that model, only to introduce a smaller new model as a hatchback a year or two later?

Saab should have kept the hatch - it helped to make their cars more distinctive.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

the older 9-3 was better- easier to tell apart from big bro 9-5.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    did not drive near as well as the new 9-3 either.

GM did not tell Saab not to make a hatch. There will be a 9-3 crossover (hatch). The sedan came first as it is what more people want.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    More people who buy Saabs want a sedan or more people want a sedan? Saab has been known as a Euro hatch for a long time and that's the reason I would want one and others I know as well. Most people I know would rather have a versatile hatch.
    I think they made a mistake.
    When is the 9-3 hatch coming out?
    Automobile Magazine recently published an article saying that the 9-2 cousin, Impreza will keep exclusive use of the four-door sedan and the five-door wagon. That means that the only way to offer a four-door 9-2 is to have a five-door hatchback! They also say possibility of a two-door coupe. Stick the current 9-3's driving dynamics in a hatchback and call it a 9-3, now there's a Saab!
    and in the United States than any Saab has sold for years. So you and your friends can think all you want. The people acting with their pocket books are buying the sedan.

The cross-over comes out next year. We will see which sells better, the sedan or the cross-over. My bets are on the sedan.
    the 9-3 sedan I'll admit- is selling better than the old one. But some uniqueness would help, as I would like a luxury hatchback. The crossover could be the next hit, as I just might sell the Honda Civic sitting in the garage with a 9-3 crossover.
  • alanpainealanpaine Member Posts: 1
    Logic1 has got false information. I'm sorry there will be no 9-3 hatchback. Saab will only present the Subaru Impreza 9-2 and the GMC Envoy 9-8. The next version of 9-3 will be a stationwagon. Looking a lot like the 9-5.
    report that Saab will have a 9-3 wagon and a 9-3 cross-over which is another name for a hatch. What are your sources?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    To alanpaine & logic1 - I just posted a link to official press release of the Saab 9-3 Sport-Hatch concept in our Saab 9-3 Hatchback discussion. Look for information in Posts 496 & 497.

And now, back to the subject of the Saab 9-2. Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    The Saab 9-2 should be a hatchback. Saab has always needed one.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    I recently bought an Elantra GT hatch, because it was a derivative of a Saab 9-3 hatch. One of the second-runners on my shopping list was a Subaru WRX Wagon, which I couldn't quite pony up the dough to buy.

That said, I think a re-skinned, Saab-speced Impreza will do just fine. As long as GM isn't planning to outsell the Impreza, I think they will have a nice car on their hands that will not ruin Saab's image, nor will it ruin Subaru's.

To me, the idea seems very appealing. I like the Impreza a lot, but always felt that it was a few turns short of luxurious. I think a Saab skin in and out could make that WRX into a real winner. It will certainly take some of the wind out of BMW's sails when they lauch their 1-series, that is if they stick to their plans of punching in a 110hp engine with a 140hp engine as the "upgraded" model...yuck. The 1-series is targeting the same price-lines and basicly the same market, but the Saab will give Europhiles AWD and 50+ hp advantages over the BMW.

Let's look at the magic mirror: (based on early info from a few Mags)

Saab 9-2 (165hp Flat-4, AWD, 5-door hatch) - $22,995 est
    BMW 1-series (110hp I-4, RWD, 4-door sedan) - $22,995 est
    Volkswagon Jetta 1.8T GLS (180hp Turbo I-4, FWD, 4-door Sedan) $21,500
    Volvo S40 Base (170hp turbo I-4, FWD, 4-door Sedan) $24,450
    Audi A4 starts at $25.5k
    Mercedes C230 3-dr Hatch starts at $25.5k

To me, the Saab will be a nice, more up-market approach to the Mazdaspeed Proteges, Neon SRT-4s, Sentra Spec-Vs, and WRXs of the world. If they can pull that off, I might be willing to take the early hit on my Elantra and invest in one. A Saab with a Subaru engine and AWD transmission doesn't sound like a bad deal to me, it sounds like a more reliable, fun to drive version from an quirky car company that has always had a place in my heart.
    The VW Jetta is the one to worry about.

But then again, it won't have AWD and has become a less-sporty version of itself as VW moved mainstream.

I like the idea of a dialed in Saab that might drop below $20k with incentives if people ignore it. I certainly won't. I plan to sign up for a test drive as soon as they hit the pavement.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    The next Subaru Legacy will get 170HP from the normally-aspirated 2.5L, so it's a safe bet the 9-2 will, too.

Combining Subaru mechanicals with Saab's style should be a win-win proposition. Too bad Subaru's so torqued about it, but you can't blame them, since all their Impreza R&D is going to Saab.
    The 9-2 probably will fill the gap left by the departure of the old 9-3 hatch. A BMW 1-Series with only 110 HP? That's less than a Honda Civic EX that stickers for $17K!
    Also has less horsepower than a $10,995 Saturn ION 1, which has 140 HP!
    I don't trust anything coming out about the 1-series, but I read it in a mag (Car and Driver?) that was talking about soon-to-be-released models.

The 1-series has been a very invisible development since the word got out a few years back. One thing seems to be true, the 1-series will use alot of 3-series mechanicals but feature 4-cylinder motors. BMW has a bunch to choose from, so it could be any number of engines, but the early report is a 110-hp, I hope that turns into a Europe-only model. As is, it will likely be the same 1.8L that turns 138hp from 10 years ago.

If they come to the US with 110 hp, it will be a "Mini" disaster...
    I'll take the keys to my 9-2, please.
    Impreza derivative or not, the 9-2 will have some serious performance potential to back itself up. Nothing to be ashamed of in that price range. May not outgun a Dodge Neon SRT-4...but I ain't buying one of those anyway. :)

Hand me the keys to mine...emerald green with tan/black duo-tone interior please...delete the sunroof, but give me those sweet perf-leather seats from the 9-5 Aero (yeah, right)
    Here's my ideal 9-2:
    Arc, Midnight Blue, Power Sunroof, Sentronic Automatic Transmission, rear parking sonars, and the joy of passing the 1-Series at the stop light. I'm not buying a SRT-4 anyways. I want some refinement with nice power at a nice price. The SRT-4 is missing out on the refinement part. it's just too much like a import racer, which is exactly what I don't want but what Dodge needs.
    agreed, the SRT is a little too "tuned" for cheap performance. I will gladly sacrifice a little gumption for a better looking and feeling car. I do like the Subaru Impreza lines very much, but just couldn't pull the trigger on an Impreza Wagon, the styling and the lame duck interior just didn't quite inspire me.

So, I am eager to see the Saab 9-2. As a non-loyalist consumer, it might be a great fit for my needs and wants. I don't think I will be putting in an order just yet...but it is an intriguing model that I will definately go and drive.
    gives the impression of a boy racer.
    the factories have grown smart. If the kids are gonna hop up their econo cars with $10k in mods and race them, why not up do it for them? (and earn the profits)

Who would have thought ten years ago that people who pay $20+k for an econocar with a hot engine? I could never do the Neon, just because of the association I have with cheap rental cars that drive like mudd after 20k miles. It may or may not be the cars faults...but I don't like the notion of driving the top-loaded model of a lower caste car when for the same money I can get the lower-base model of a higher caste car.

Call it "image" consciousness, but I would rather drive a 325 stripped then a Honda Accord loaded.

Back to the 9-2. I like the idea of a hot AWD Saab that will be sharing most major mechanicals with a model that is already popular and available. Even if the 9-2 flops, the car itself will survive on for the owner.
    I would prefer a loaded 9-3 over a mildly loaded 325i. Does that mean you'd buy a Stratus SE over a Neon ES? They're both around the same price.
    I would prefer a loaded 9-3 over a mildly loaded 325i. Does that mean you'd buy a Stratus SE over a Neon ES? They're both around the same price.

First, I wouldn't buy a Neon in any guise. Just could never feel "proud" about that car being mine. I wouldn't buy a Stratus either.

If I had $19-21k to spend on a car, I would have a laundry list of cars ahead of either, including a Mini.

A better question is this. Would you spend an extra $5 a day to drive a rental Stratus versus a rental Neon? Yes, and I have. :) Then again, I beg and beg for a Hyundai or Subaru most of the time. Not many carry Subes, but most have Hyundais. I would rather drive a Sonata than a Stratus. But that is just me. :)
    is the Camry. Enterprise has a few of them. hertz rents Subarus sometimes. If you want a specific car, asking won't hurt. If you know they have that Hyundai Sonata, Subaru Legacy, Kia Optima, Suzuki Aerio sitting there, just ask for it. And yes, I'll spend another $5 a day to get out of a Neon and into a Sonata. By the way, many places rent Accents and Rios.
    any info????
    (and yes, I have spent the extra $5 per day to get out of a Cavalier and into a Malibu!!!)
    Classic, not the new one.
    Malibu is the new 9-3, not 9-2! :-P

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

rumor is, new pics available in either C&D or Autoweek...anyone have the downlow?
    How do we think a rebadged Subabru/Saab will fair against the upcoming Audi A3 and BMW 1-series?

Audi A3 is rumored to have the 1.8T engine in some form (170-180 hp in US likely) and start around $21k. It will go from there, and may feature a jumped S3 version as well. Quattro makes it completely viable as an alternative to the Saab 9-2/WRX.

BMW 1-series appears to be coming, if it comes, with a low-powered I4 base (110hp) at a few more dollars...estimates start at $23k.

Same mag (Motor Trend) also listed 9-2 as priced between $21-24k, depending on engine choice, to start. A better looking WRX for $24k base? Keeps sounding better and better.

BTW, the Audi A3 will be a 5-door hatch (aka Golf) and will be in the MB SportCoupe vein.

A $21k Audi would be an interesting twist...but figure to add $1850 for quattro. Will potentially allow the Saab to stay a few grand cheaper in comparos.
    just stole a look on the Mustang boards, some spy picks claiming to show the production version of the upcoming new Pony are a bit disappointing. Gone are the nice edges and in place are rounded corners that look like the car was superheated.
    I would definitely take a 9-2 or A3 over a 1-Series mainly because the engine is just too underpowered in the 1-Series and I do a lot of highway cruising.
    I read a short blurb somewhere that BMW will not offer the 1-series in the US with the smaller engine, but that there is a higher-powered version?

I would definitely take a 9-2 over anything with that VW group 1.8T in it. Too bad, as I love the pictures I have seen of the A3 hatch.

I have heard of problems in the Jetta with the 1.8T...but not of any others...care to enlighten us?

1.8T motors are in the TT, A4, Passat, Golf, Beetle, and Jetta. I find it hard to believe that all of these variants are "junk."
    don't think its junk either. Just when you pair it with the Jetta. The Passat gets decent reliability and is recommended by CR. So the 1.8T is definitely not Junk.
  • mdmetzmdmetz Member Posts: 27
    Saab released a (not very revealing) photo of the 9-2X at a press event in Tokyo, which is at the following link:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=07961325

Looks a bit like a 7/8ths scale 9-5.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    I didn't realize until now that this thing will be a wagon. Was that widely known and I just wasn't paying attention?

In any case, great! I always liked the WRX wagon a bit better anyway. Can't wait to get a good look at the interior on this car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

the door-handles look like one off the Impreza.
    since they ARE off the impreza! :-)

This discussion has been closed.