Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-2X

Comments

• bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    Subaru must benefit with this deal somehow? Maybe not. Maybe GM just threw their weight around since they own 20% of Subaru.
  • my guess is that we may see more collaborations back and forth. Honestly, Subaru just stole away car of the year with their new Legacy in Japan.

They have suddenly and dramatically improved materials quality and driving dynamic feel...that and some sexier sheetmetal.

Could it be that some Saab folk were involved in a partnership long ago, working on that project as well? Seems anedoctal at best, but how did Subaru go from the only AWD car in town, but boring, underpowered, and not pretty - to the hottest, suddenly good looking, and ragingly powerful?

Who knows, maybe they are working on some more twin offerings. Saab and Subaru both would benefit by offering some more models into the market. Have you seen Subaru's Concept convertible? It is sweet looking.

Could we see a 2-seat Saab sports car around the corner?

GM has an interest in making some serious mileage from the Pontiac Solstice R&D. Can we see a possible platform deal that brings potentially three 2-seat convertibles to the market at variety of price points?
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    says Saab and Subaru are working together on that mysterious and unknown seven seater SUV and that Saab may get a version to replace the 9-7X.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 845
    The answer is easy.
    Subaru stopped selling their high powered versions of Legacy in Japan only. They figured out that other parts of the world will buy them and Subaru will be able to sell more cars.
    Subaru did not have high performance car in US until they start selling WRX. SVX was disaster 10 years earlier but it was luxury high performance car.
    What Subaru gets from SAAB deal ?
    They build 8000 more cars without any financial risk. I suspect SAAB (GM) pays them decent money for all of them and distribution, advertising etc costs are covered by GM/SAAB too.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    How did Subaru benefit?

Well, parent company FHI gains economies of scale. It hurts dealer relations, though, becuase US dealer aren't happy, not a bit.

In terms of product it did benefit Subaru - the nicer interior goes on the 2005 WRX as well.

-juice
    I have read quite a few reviews and this is with out a doubt the worst one by far. Did they drive the same car everyone else has??

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.cfm?id=14- 993
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    Lordy, I just played around on the configurator for a bit. What fun!

Inside and out, it would get better odds of taking my money than the Subie. I've always respected the WRX, but never cared much for the overall presentation.

Only thing that still bugs me is that C-pillar. It's that started-as-a-sedan-and-tacked-on-a-wagon-butt look that I just never can get warm with.

Nice looking package with all the goods, otherwise.
  • Well, they said alot of the things that have been raised in here before. Dubious upgrades for a big price hike.

I also appreciated their "attention to detail" as if you can make sense of the info-graphic on the right hand side, you are definately ahead of the curve. Show me that $19k Audi A4 Avant please!

I think they framed all that is negative to say about this car in one article, bravo for that.

I guess, I would like to go back and read an article of theirs on the Impreza. Maybe they are just not very happy with twin car offerings. As this is certainlt one of those situations.

My question, does anyone else here know much about the differences between Ford and Mercury cars in the 80s and 90s?

Seems to me that a Ford Taurus and a Mercury Sable were almost identical, yet add a few luxury items and a better service department and people were willing to pay for a Mercury premium.
  • richwoodrichwood Posts: 11
    Well, despite all reports to the contrary, it seems we Canadians WILL get a lookee at the 9-2x prior to June 30th...I got my first boo today! It seems the dealer had some REALLY early deliveries, only of Linears though, but at least I saw the full palette of silver...the paint looks great!

My biggest concern remains the upholstery, as the seats in Linear, with the base materials, were already showing some dirt...and I can't imagine how clean these buckets will be years down the road...it's really pushing me to the leather. I do really like the material qauality, with a more expensive canvasy type feel vs. the velour of the typical Impreza...definitely a more durable material. Just that the shading is so creamy pale that it's bound to get dirty fast - particularly when little ones are on board.

In Canada, the leather option is $2g's, but I think there will be worthwhile savings in the long run, so it's worth the plunge. Too bad there's no cheaper 'pleather' a la mini or bmw...it would suit just fine.

Anyone got a listing of the accessories as yet? I got no feedback from the dealer today, but I'm hopeful I can plug in an auto-dimming mirror. I figured the Subie one would do just fine, but my dealer wasn't certain the wiring would be in place, through the roofline, to allow an easy install.

If anyone has a list, please post! Bigdaddycoats has been so resourceful so far(and thanks for that), maybe he or someone else has preliminary info...?
  • wsag26wsag26 Posts: 124
    The WRX is a beautiful vehicle. At first, I thought, what in the world is Saab going to do next????? But after hearing good reviews (I will have to test drive to see if it is actually worth it), I think the Saab will sell well. I've heard that the 9-2x is a great vehicle and many have been sold across the country...already.
    Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately I cannot find any listing of accessories. If I find anything I will let you know.
    I haven't seen any around town, although the dealer does have a few in stock.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,679
    For that amount of money, which would you rather buy, an optioned-out 9-2x turbo, or a Legacy 2.5 GT Limited turbo?

I haven't driven the 9-2x, but I've driven several WRXs, and several of the new Legacy turbos. IMO, the Legacy wins hands down. There's no comparison.

The only advantage the 9-2x has is a 1-year better warranty. On top of that, in my neck of the woods, Saab dealers are as scarce as hen's teeth, whereas Subie dealers are plentiful.

Bob
    FWIW, that review has some gross errors, like the wheelbase and length data.

It's funny, my step-mom had a Sable and then got a Taurus wagon and she REALLY missed her Sable. Small and subtle difference but the Mercury was coincidentally a lot more reliable as well.

-juice
  • how about the older Corolla/Geo Prism debates...same basic car and yet the Prism had worse depreciation and often sold with rebates.
  • saab9xsaab9x Posts: 12
    //

the 9-2x is awful! frankly, i'm disappointed
    by saab foisting this imitation subaru on the
    general public. if gm wanted saab to have an
    awd vehicle, it should have been patient for
    _saab_ to develop its own product; not "patch"
    a subaru with a saab front end.

where are the side turn signals? why is the
    ignition in the wrong spot? why does it look
    like a subaru? why is it not built in europe?
    i'm sorry, but it's _not_ a "saab." the 9-2x
    has taken the saab "cachet" _way_ down to
    an embarassing level.

one of the reasons i've been a saab "loyalist"
    was that saab didn't cower to being a "copy-
    cat" in it's approch to designing and building
    its products. it always prided itself on having
    a "unique voice." such is no longer the case.

i don't see "today's saab" (or the future saab,
    with the "auto/manual" transmission "thingie",
    for that matter) as a reflection of its heritage.
    it's painful to watch this sad "metamorphosis."

"...but i wanted a 'griffin,' not a cat with its
    tail between its legs."

kthxbye.

b.

//
    Prizm had a higher price to begin with, at least in 1991 when I shopped both. So the rebates might just have evened things out.

9-5 doesn't have the keys in the center console either, FWIW.

9-3 uses an Opel platform and GM engine blocks, I believe.

-juice
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    Show of hands here: Who thinks an independent SAAB (automotive), without GM capital and some platform and badge engineering could ever have funded a brand new compact AWD sport wagon?

Anyone who thinks there would still be a SAAB available in this country without GM?

I'm as ready as the next "enthusiast" to get on GM's case for past (and potentially future) failures, but reality bites.

I feel for old world SAAB purists to an extent in that the product is now a bit more homogenized across the boards, but in this day and age and in the future, quirky niche product (no matter how delightful) that is not expensive with a healthy net profit per item is destined to go the way of the pull-chain toilet.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,370
    I can't see one negative thing about using the WRX for the 9-2X. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Saab makes two other cars for you.

Wale hit it right on the head. Without the WRX, and GM, there is no way that Saab would be able to offer anything similar. AND, they may just be able to turn a profit on it, and not have to offer $6K in dealer incentives to move them out the door.

I wish they had done more to differentiate it also, but I'd take one just the way it is now. Subaru reliability with a better warranty and more luxury features.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I agree with you too. I like Saab just the way it is now. They're different and quirky enough for me, and without GM, we wouldn't have a Saab at all.
  • that's all they plan to sell for the year.

That is like 6 per dealer, if Canada is included in that sales estimate.

It's not as if Saab plans to outsell their 9-3, or give Honda a run for its money.

We have a project car, an oddity. It will sell ok, it has some upsides over the Subaru it mimics.

Will it break sales records? Nope.

Will it push Saab in new directions and new markets? Yep.

Will I buy one? Doubt it, for my driving, I think the Volvo S40/V50 is a better value statement.
    They'll sell 8k easily. In fact if volume is that low they won't need much incentives.

-juice
  • when the person from Saab USA comes to chat with us. :)
    Saab has 1300 dealers? That seems like a lot. I would have guessed closer to 500 or less.

Acura said just 15,000 TSXs per year, yet they sold over 3000 of them just last month. If they start selling well, it will go up from 8000 pretty fast.

regards,
    kyfdx

I believe Saab has about 200 or so dealers in the U.S.
    Well... that would make more sense. That leaves about 40 per dealer per year at 8000 units.

Should be easy, that's less than one per week.

I bet they double that 8k goal.

-juice
  • would include Canada as well I think.

But it is sales for this year only, they probably want to double that for next year.

Let's say 250 dealers in US and Canada. 8000 units. That's roughly 32 cars per dealer. That puts them on pace to sell 5-6 cars per month to hit targets. Considering the decent press and buzz the car received from the majority of venues. It should be likely for Saab to hit that number. I think they have only two dealers here in PHX. Neither of them very good. But I would bet they could still fall into 6 sales a month, especially in the Aero package. I see about 10 Impreza/WRX variants almost everyday on my drives to work, and maybe 2-4 Saabs.

I would guess the cross over should be able to add 60 new 9-2x's to the PHX metro area.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    Maybe I just notice the WRXs more, but it sure seems like the TS and Outback Sport are pretty rare. I can't imagine Saab will do any better with the 9-2X Linear.

Autozone.com shows the following breakdown for 2002 Impreza engines
    4 Cylinders 2.5L MFI 38 %
    4 Cylinders 2.0L SFI DOHC TURBO 62 %

That's exclusive of the Outback Sports, so it would include the 2.5RS, 2.5TS, WRX sedan, and WRX wagon. Does anyone know what Saab is planning for the Linear/Aero mix?

-Jason
This discussion has been closed.