Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-2X

Comments

• christopher35christopher35 Member Posts: 29
    Modster,
    Stay away fom the 9-2X Aero automatics they are DOGS in the performance deptartment The turbo lag is unbearable. Check to see if any of the Aeros with 17's on them have anything other than Bridgestone Potenzas. If you pick a car with those shod on it you will regret it. Or, be prepared to purchase a set of either Pirellis, Michellins or Goodyears. Since I put a set of Pirelli Zero Neros on my Aero...WOW!!!!
    Awsome tires I can't rave enough about them. They have stepped up and transformed my ride into an absolute performance car. Talk about quiet, there's no comparison.
    Just for kicks and to see just how good the Zeros are I took an empty off ramp on the NJ Turnpike at 45-50 MPH. The tires just ripped it up without any complaints. Mid way through I even accelerated to 55 MPH. My Aero handled it no sweat. The AWD & the Zeros offer incredable traction on tight turns at speed.
    Modster don't dick around take the Aero at $21K, it's a steal. Negotiate your warranty to 4years /100K into the deal. Do NOT take the Gap insurance it's a sucker bet. Negiotiate the window etching( if applicable). It's easy profit for the dealer it costs them $50 max, but it has proven to be a theft deterrant. If you get it make sure your insurance company knows it could get you a discount.
    Unless you live near the Artic Circle prepare to tint your windows with at least 35%, otherwise with all of those windows the car greenhouses easily when parked and driving in the in the sun even with a venting sun roof.
    What color and options are you considering?
    Good luck. :shades:
  • allenheightsallenheights Member Posts: 4
    Well, well, well. There are instructions for installing the WRX auto-dimming compass mirror at http://www.subaru-parts.com/IntallationGuides.html I used this to take apart my Saab 9-2x to see if a readymade three prong hook-up also existed for easily plugging in the auto dimming compass mirror...and sure enough it's in there. I'm going to buy a compass mirror from my local subaru dealer and hook it up.
  • snaab1snaab1 Member Posts: 14
    Autoweek just came out with this new write-up on the 9-2x. It is the most positive article I have seen so far on the vehicle.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101995
  • modstermodster Member Posts: 9
    Christopher,

Thank you for the advice regarding the aero at $21K; I talked to the salesguy, he's ready to sell at this price. The dealership has 2 aeros that are manual with only the cold package; unfortunately they are both Black. This the model I can get for $21K. They have a total of 13-14 9-2X models.

There is another dealer with a fully loaded (premium, sport and cold) manual aero (forgot what color) that i can probably pickup for about $24 to $25K; But I dont want the leather, only the Xenon headlights.

I'll drop by the dealer, see what happens; I wil talk about the extended warranty- how much extra do they ask for it? what color/options did you pick? Is it worth the extra $3K for the fully loaded model? :D
    Modster,
    Black was my second/third choice. I ended up with the Brilliant Red (2nd choice) with the Sport Pkg. If my memory serves me, that included the Xenons, &17's. I've got the moon roof, to securely vent heat mostly. It's also nice to have the roof open, and A/C going while driving in the city at night in the summer. Other than those two requirements a moon roof wasn't a high priority for me.( I do this in my Beetle Turbo S when me and the Mrs. go over to Philadelphia for dinner, a show, or both). That's probably more than you wanted to know, but what the heck. ;) .
    I'm partial to leather especially with the Cold Weather Pkg ( a must for the Mrs.' caboose). This package was especially nice when, after work at night or first thing in the AM, I would come out and it would be 20oF. The leather seats really warmed up fast and help take the chill off rather quickly. They also heat up your lower lumbar area nicely. The Aero you are closing in on probably has leather anyway, so again if my memory serves me, the Cold Weather Pkg & leather go together.
    Since there is a lot of technology and moving parts under the 9-2X, I felt that having an extended B2B warranty was important. Now I knew that Subaru has been a leader in AWD offerings. But I checked out the reviews here on Edmunds, C& D, Motortrend, etc anyway. The reviews for the Legacy WRX were mostly all positive. Being the skeptic that I am, I opted for a extended 40K just in case.( I'm in Industrial Sales and easily put 25-30K miles on any car I drive) This should keep me covered until it's paid off. It's also transferable if I decide to buy a Mini with the JSC Works performance Pkg. (If BMW would make the Mini S with AWD I 'd be waiting at the dealer's door!) If there's a shred of doubt in your mind and the dealer is negotiable, ask about it. Piece of mind never costs too much.
    I hate to seem like I'm dwelling on a lame subject, but did any of those Aeros you were interested in come with anything other than B-stone Potenzas? For me, it has made a huge difference in my whole outlook on the Saab 9-2X Aero as an everyday driver.
    By the way, I got a fully loaded 9-2X Aero with the above mentioned 4 yr./100K warranty for $25,587. Oh, and get the Extended Center Console from your dealer for about $25. You'll want it for the extra CD storage and the necessary arm rest. It's a piece of cake to do yourself. It took me all of five minutes to install. The directions were very easy. You will want this otherwise you will find yourself leaning into the center of the car for the stock arm rest.
    I am seriously considering the optional sport shifter to facilitate the location of the gears when shifting. I sometimes have trouble hitting the normal shift progression 3rd to 4th. I know of a dealer in Princeton, NJ that installed one in his demo car. I will check it out and let you know.
    I promise this will be the last thing I post on this reply. (Espresso after dinner tonight)
    Some food for thought.There were three cars I was considering when I started; the Lexus IS 300 SC, Saab 9-2X Aero, Mini S
    I can count on one hand the number of Saab 9-2Xs I've seen on the road, and only one of the above offered AWD.
    Good Luck. It sounds as if you might be pulling the trigger on one soon.
    Please keep me posted.
  • wristshot19wristshot19 Member Posts: 10
    Anybody know if the March incentives carried over to April? I looked on Saab's site and the Current Offers page comes up with nothing. Any help is appreciated as I am trying to get the wife in to a 9-2x.
    I talked to a few dealers. all said the Current rebates are extended to 04/04/05. They did not know if they would carry over past that, but they would find out on 04/05 at about 10am. Most also said the rebates would carry over as there is still excess inventory. I will probably pick up a 9-2x aero, manual with only cold packge tonight. I got them down to $20,700! (plus TT&L)

Hope this helps. Since I'am buying the car tonite, they may even increase the rebates tomorrow! :P
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Wow. Saab must really have a hard time clearing these things out. Any chance they'll be discontinued soon? Will GM pile on even more incentives??
    Do I smell new leather in your driveway tonight? Is it the loaded black Aero? If it is, man o man. It must have been a slug fest. Did you opt for an extended B2B warranty? Details please.
    I heard that the latest and greatest new dealer incentive effective 4/5/05 is a Saab Griffin Head logo-ed Stainless Steel coffee mug!! Any plans of changing your forum screen name to Black Beauty tonight?
    I suppose we won't be hearing from you for a couple of days, you will be much to busy pouring over your owners manual and scraping the built up drool off of your chin. Congrats and much luck with your new ride.
    Christopher
    How was the installation time on the mirror? How much was it? On a scale of 1-10 easy to difficult. Any special tools need to do the job?
    You know, it chaps my butt that Saab doesn't upgrade this detail. My wife's bare bones stock 2003 Vue came with an auto-dimming mirror.
    Hello Everyone!

Thank you for the good wishes Christopher! I actually wussed out and did NOT get the loaded Black beauty. The black is Georgeous, but a PITA to maintain. I instead got a "Desert silver" Aero manual with only the Cold packager. I really wanted the Xenon headlights and Sunroof, but they are not available alone. I really liked the color; very sophisticated IMHO! :shades: It also dosen't attract attention from the cops, a very important feature! It's going to look even cooler with the 90% tint in back and 50% in front windows.

I actually called and haggled with the sales manager right over the phone! Got him down to $20,700 + TT&L. I just walked into the dealership; no haggling, no arguing, no "let me check with the manager" BS. I got ALMOST $8000 off the MSRP! :) I thought this was the best deal I could negotiate. The rebates do officially end tonite and I didnt want to risk any changes. They cant really afford to increase the rebates to anything sweeter......I think.

I will actually pick up the car tomorrow. A few questions-
    How much/how long an extended warranty did you get? How much did they ask for it?
    Where can I buy the 3M clear stick on "bra" for the 9-2X? How much?
    Have you done any Mods such ECU reprogramming yet? Any suggestions?
    I will keep you all updated...

Modster
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You almost robbed them. ;)

Congrats. Sivler is nice.

-juice
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    is a nice conservative color. I have that color on my I35 and it looks great.
  • photoguyphotoguy Member Posts: 1
    Leased an Aero a few weeks ago.I got it loaded except for sunroof and sport wheels/tires. I got the auto transmission because my wife does not like to drive a stick shift. I know the consensus opinion is that the 9-2x Aero performance is poor with the auto so I was somewhat surprised to find that it's not that bad with the auto- if you shift the auto into third gear to get engine rpm up to 3000 or more and then hit the pedal- it downshifts to second gear and moves out pretty well.
    The HID driving lights are a nice feature and are adjustable so you don't blind other drivers.
    Desert Silver.....NICE! and for $20.7K...Oh My! The testosterone must be coursing through your veins in massive quantities. Your voice must have dropped two octaves. You now have hair growing on the palms of your hands and the bottom of your feet, after the beating you put on that dealer.
    Your right the window tint will make it look "right". Did you get the six disk CD?
    As for your questions, in order;
    - I opted for a extended mileage warranty. Still 4 years but to 100K B2B (remember I drive a lot)
    - As I recall it was about $500 (I'd have to check my filed paperwork)
    - I know Saab offers a bra, but I don't think its clear though.
    - Whoa! I'm not even thinking of touching the on board computer, I don't want to void that warranty I paid extra for. What have you heard on this subject? Is there a chip (E-Prom) that will boost the HP from 227 to 300 or something like that?
    Most importantly, Did you get the Stainless Steel Griffin Head logo Coffee Mug handed to you with your keys?? Rumor has it that the cars are free, it's the mugs that cost $20,700!
    Way to Go,
    Christopher
    Too bad Saab doesn't offer the 9-2X with a Tiptronic auto stick like Porsche/Audi/VW. Keep the Mrs. happy and you can get your performance fix.... In a perfect world.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ALMOST $8000 off the MSRP! Great job!
    Hello,

Thank you all for the kind words! I got the car, but alas NO coffee MUG, not even coffee!
    Christopher, since the engine/tranny and drivetrain is 100% WRX wagon, ALL of the WRX aftermarket performance parts will work! Some of the Subaru tuners (eg. Vishnu) are saying so on their websites. For about $600, any of them will sell you aftermarket ECU's that boost HP to about 275-280. Some of these ECU upgrades can also be retd to factory stock just before any service. (Checkout www.nasioc.com)
    A few initial impressions-
    -->The driving experience is COMPLETELY different from my current car- a potential restoration/beater car, A 1982 BMW 323i with a 1989 325i engine and manual tranny. Its got Gobs of torque at barely 1000 rpm. Short shift at 1500 all day, easily drive in 5th gear a 1000 rpm's, no problem. Obviously I cant do this with the 92x! The two cars are like night and day; 92x- radio, ac, shiny, Turbo, JEWEL-LIKE, etc.. The bmw- Old, NO radio/ac/heat, but lots o' RUST! No fear of driving anywhere, "I can drive it like a I stole it"! The doors are never even locked;
    -->I LOVE the AIR SCOOP! talk about HE-MAN, testarone raising, and MACHO! I would like it even if it wasnt functional!
    -->Does the shifter get a little easier, (less notchy) after its broken in?
    -->The "Desert Silver" looks GREAT! evryone has commented on the color! Its very benign, mature and sophisticated, completly belying the beast lurking within! ;) After I tint the windows, it'll be perfect!

In short I'am completly happy with my purchase.I am still looking for the 3M clear stick on "bra". Its actually a clear precut vinyl-like material that's guaranteed not to fade, yellow and provides protection against stones, bugs etc.
    BTW the rebates are now $4500, not $5000. I still believe there are great deals available on the 92x.
    Thank God the scoop Is functional. I would hate to be driving a wana-be pretender!
    As far as the shifter goes, mine still gives me occasional fits getting around. Did it again today. I've now got over 10K since I brought it home a week before X-mas. I don't expect it to get any better with time. Right now, I just have pay closer attention in the 3/4/5 range. I'm taking the family up to Newtown, PA in a couple of weeks for the weekend that'll put me near Princeton and that Saab dealer I mentioned that had the Sport Shift short shift kit in his loaded "Black" 9-2X Aero. Hopefully he hasn't sold it yet.
    Little do those folks know that are now commenting on how sophisticated and mature the Desert Silver is, they are about to be exposed to the Juvenile Delinquent that's about to boost his stock HP to almost 300HP and tint his windows darker than a limo...there goes the neighborhood!
    I completely disgusted with you! You let them get one over on you by withholding the Stainless Steel Griffin Headed logo coffee mug. I mean seriously, all that hard negotiating up in smoke. "Only" 8 G's off the list and no mug to show how sophisticated you are... I'm at a loss for words (you know that's rare)
    Chris,

Let me repeat, I LOVE THAT SCOOP!

Anyway, I live in St louis, MO, but I'm going to be in West Orange, NJ from April 14th to 22nd. If your anywhere near there, lets get together one evening; I'd like to see your red 9-2X. (You can see my cheap Huyndai rental!) I'll even buy the first round with my $8000 savings :P . Let me know....
  • allenheightsallenheights Member Posts: 4
    Look at the website recommended in earlier posts about the mirror installation. You only need a phillips screwdriver and about fifteen minutes. The install is cake, especially if you read over the directions. The hardest part is feeding the wire through the windshield.
  • mamikemamike Member Posts: 5
    Glad to hear that the mirror is an easy install. Subaru dealers in the Boston area want 1 hour of labor ($80-100) for the installation! Not to mention what it might cost to have a Saab dealer do the work if Saab offered the option directly.

Btw, I can't believe Saab recommends dealer installation for the arm rest extension. Literally less than 5 minutes and a screwdriver.

Regarding the mirror pre-wiring, I asked four Saab dealers, two Saab 9-2x forums, and Saab USA and no one could tell me whether the pre-wiring existed. I don't think Saab wants us to know, so that they can offer the mirror/compass option in the 2006 MY as a "new feature".
  • talo1talo1 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased the 92x Aero with Premium, Sport and Cold packages. Silver was the 1st choice, then blue and lastly black. The price before taxes was $23,500. Not bad I hope. Anyone get a fully loaded Aero for less? Maybe I didnt negotiate well or I did a good job :)
  • bgroffbgroff Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the process of picking up a 92x from my local dealer. Too bad for me my color of choice was a port car! So I'm waiting ever so patiently for it to come in. I first stopped by right at the end of the $5k deal. Good thing I waited, cuz its up to $5.5k now! Apparently GM started a $1k "hot button" deal to promote OnStar. I'll let ya'll know what the final drive off price is, but its looking good for me right now.
    Fantastic Price!!!!

Great Deal on a great car. I would have gotten the loaded Aero at that price, but they wouldnt go below $24K; I ended up with only the cold package. I got the "Desert Silver"; I love the color, it attracts compliments and stares everywhere I go. What color did you end up getting?
  • talo1talo1 Member Posts: 3
    Well I wanted black, but I had to make a compromise with the wife for Artic Silver or the Blue. The dealer is searching for the config this monday. I have GM Employee discount applied to the price, so that is part of the reason why the price was $23.5k
    Modster,
    I'm surprised to hear your not driving your 9-2X to West Orange! After a few days in the rental Huyn(die), your Aero will seem to ride like a dream!
    Any possibility of connecting in Atlantic City instead? West Orange is over 2-1/2 hours for me whereas AC is just under an hour. This way you can experience the truly lovely Garden State Parkway. I'll take you up on buying the first round. After a couple of cold ones, we can shoot the dice a few times at a Craps table or sit in on a couple of hands of Black Jack if you're so inclined. I'll even let you try out my Pirelli Zeros. I know some great roads outside of Atlantic City that you can really open-er-up! Let me know if your schedule can accomodate a field trip to Sin City East.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    about the '06 WRX are that it will get a 2.5L turbo, a facelift with the new corporate face, 17" wheels standard, and that the Premium Package (moonroof, heated (leather!) seats, etc., will finally be available on the wagon.

If true; which is quite likely, as most of this has been confirmed by a number of people with close ties to SOA; it will mean an even tougher time for the 9-2x. I would assume the the '06 9-2x will also get the 2.5 turbo, but I think it will need more exclusive goodies to maintain any sort of lead on the WRX.

Bob
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Since the WRX got basically all of the upgrades that the "new" 9-2X did this year... I'd assume that they will be virtually identical again in '06...

I'd also assume that you will see mountainous incentives on the '06 9-2X again next spring.. New models that get off to a rough start rarely ever turn that around... $5500 in incentives on the 9-2X right now.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

But the Saab model needs the boost even more than the Subaru does, to compete against the Volvo V50.

Volvo's been doing much better numbers in this segment.

-juice
  • tonedebonetonedebone Member Posts: 36
    Has anyone tried adding a towbar hitch to a 92X ? I'd like to add a towbar mounted bike rack.

The manual specifies a towing limit, but I've just been around to Saab service and they claim it can't be done. The attach points must be the same as the Impreza, so the only limitation would be if the bumper gets in the way.
  • mabubbamabubba Member Posts: 53
    Kyfdx,

I have a dealer in Louisville telling me that there is 7k in dealer cash on the Aero. Can you confim this?

Mabubba
    I'm not sure if the WRX is officially rated to tow. The Outback Sport is, I think that model even has the harness pre-wired. So the Saab 9-2x linear might be.

Check the spare tire well for the wiring harness, that's where the one for my Forester was. If it's there, you know it'll take the hitch option.

-juice
    I've only heard $5500... .. Maybe he is saying he can sell it for $7K off MSRP? That would put it right at Invoice - incentive..

I don't have any way to check, other than what I read on the boards..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bgroffbgroff Member Posts: 4
    No, it seems to be true. According to the folks over at saabnet, the money's been raised $1500. Go check it out at http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9-2X/index.html?bID=527
    Good info.. I don't think Town Hall allows you to link to other forums... Might want to just say you heard it from a good source... ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Nothing obvious down there; a rubber seal in the well and a two prong connector hidden under the trim next to it. I'm not so concerned about wiring, it's only for a bike rack. If the OBS has the mount points then I'm sure all Impreza'a & 92X's will have the same.
    I know you don't need the wiring, but if the harness is there that means your car can tow and is equipped to do so.

That rubber seal in the bottom is the grommet which gets replaced with a new one with wires running through it, but I bet all cars get that.

Tongue weight is up to 200 lbs on mine, that's enough for the rack and 3-4 bikes. I use mine all the time. The OE rack only holds 2 bikes but it does tilt out of the way so you can open the hatch.

-juice
    Subaru service guy said he could install it for $500 including parts, but admitted he'd never seen a 92X so couldn't be 100% sure it would fit. I'm still looking for someone to tell me it can definitely be done.
    I'm sure about that, question is does Saab rate it to tow officially.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    9-2x towing? I don't know. If it can, it will say so in the owner's manual.

Bob
  • mst7022mst7022 Member Posts: 1
    I see that GM is offering (essentially) $7000 cash to move the Aero - does anyone know if this is only for purchases, or if this would apply to the lease price of the car? I'd like to lease one for 24 months, but only I'm leasing a ~$23,000 car, not a $30,000 one! Is anyone out there leasing an Aero? Thanks!!
    It is only for purchases.. They do have incentives for leasing, but it is much less.. I'm not sure what it is now, but when the purchase incentive was $5500, the lease incentive was only $2000...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

> 9-2x towing? I don't know. If it can, it will say so in the owner's manual.

Page 8-24 of the manual states "The use of a genuine Saab hitch is recommended. A genuine Saab hitch is available from your Saab dealer". My Saab dealer has no part # for a hitch and no service code to install it. They probably just did a search & replace of Subaru with Saab for the manual.

Someone on the saabnet boards has installed a Subaru hitch on a Linear.
  • snaab1snaab1 Member Posts: 14
    I am in a 9-3 lease until February, 2006 but called some dealers anyway the other day on the 9-2X because the rebates right now are too incredible to pass up. I was told that Saab was offering an early lease turn-in program for leases with maturity dates between now and December 31, 2005. They would take in any leased Saab and make, or waive, the remaining 7 payments or so through December 31, 2005. This program was not advertised anywhere that I had seen, and not mentioned on any of the boards. I called Saab Financial to see if they would take my 9-3, make the lease payments through December 31, and allow me to make the 1 remaining lease payment (January, 2006) but they would not. This lease turn-in program expired on 5/2/05.

I am wondering if Saab is going to continue that lease turn-in program this month through, say, January 31, 2006, or next month through February, 2006. When I talked to Saab Financial the other day they would not or could not tell me if the early lease turn-in program is being extended. If any of you happen to hear, please post a message.

The prices I was quoted for a 9-2X Aero 5MT with cold weather package was $18,700. Another quote was for a base 9-2X Aero 5MT for $18,425. Keep in mind these are only with the 16 inch wheels, no roof, etc., but what unbelievable prices for this car! Anyone buying a WRX wagon over at the Subaru dealership has got to be out of their mind.
    That can't be right, you sure you don't mean "Linear" models? :confuse:

I checked yesterday and the local no-haggle dealer had WRX for about $400 less than the cheapest 9-2x. Both were close to $22 grand.

-juice
    The Aero has an invoice of $26,428... and $7K of incentive money.. That takes dealer cost down to $19,428, not taking into account holdback, or supplier or employee pricing...

So, you can get a "stripped" Aero for way under $22K....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

do dealers actually stock any models equipped that way?

This is the dealer I'm talking about:

http://www.fitzmall.com/

They have Saab and Subaru locations. Let's see.

A-ha! Prices fell since yesterday, as a matter of fact. Today they have an Aero for $20,716. Indeed that's cheaper than any WRX they have by almost a grand!

-juice
    Check out this thread..

harbachj, "Saab 9-2X: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #33, 4 May 2005 10:40 am

It is only two pages, so you can catch up on the whole thing....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    cmon share man.
This discussion has been closed.