Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    It's not the split that bothers me... IMO, it actually looks better from the passenger side...

It's the driver's side view that I don't like... that big long expanse of body between the wheels... too out of proportion..

Just my $0.02,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Yeah, a 2nd door on the driver's side would have been a better option than that odd long window...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    My point is that I might as well have a car with no back seat as opposed to one with a cramped back seat.

Well, hell, if you are not in need of a backseat, then the 1-series is not the car for you. I totally agree, there are others out there I would choose first. But then those aren't really up for comparison to the 1. Only those with a backseat.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Well, hell, if you are not in need of a backseat, then the 1-series is not the car for you. I totally agree, there are others out there I would choose first. But then those aren't really up for comparison to the 1. Only those with a backseat.

If I didn't need the backseat, I'd still have chosen the 1er. It's simply a terrific package. But I do indeed use the back seat. It's definately useful and with just the right tweak between front and rear, it becomes very quite functional and passenger-friendly. It's so freakin' simple to move the front seats forward just a bit... still keeping the front passengers quite comfy, and yet at the same time providing the rear pasengers with adequate legroom for short to moderate trips.

I've done it a number of times already, and everyone says they are quite comfortable, but, of course they wouldn't want to be in the back seat for hours. And, that really is the truth about the back seats. They are absolutely adequate with the right amount of tweak. They are a terrific bonus, to a great car that I would still have purchased anyway!! I love the stellar performance and fun factor of the 135i, and my occassional rear passengers get to enjoy it also!!... especially with the top down. :shades:

Perfect, for me.

Now, OTOH, my Porsche 911's rear seats are truly pitiful, by comparison.

TM
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I was talking about the 2 rear doors in back of the MINI Clubman, not the suicide door on the side.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Ahhh... I like the look of that... but, not the practicality..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "...but, not the practicality.."

They are easier to close, though, than the hatch.
    To each his own. I find them less functional, heavier and a big styling nuisance. It'd be nice if Mini allowed for a hatch option on the clubby.

What's with the weird 1 v. Clubby comparo? Then they only compared driving. Day to day living, the Clubman for anyone with a baby the Club would be the choice. Even runs to the store and such the Club offers space the 1 cannot match. I have placed 9 boxes in my little Cooper. A clubman could probably fit at least 3 or 4 more.

The 1's a better driver's car but until BMW sells the right 1 series here (5 door hatch) the 1's not gonna be my first choice.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Hi BGDC! What about the tii? Wasn't that coming to US soon in 1 - 2 years?

That would be a nice ride for you!

Regards,
    OW
    I really want a 4 or 5 door. While I settle for a 1 coupe in a few years, the 4 or 5 door would be ideal.

The other day I parked by an e30 and just sighed looking at it. So perfectly proportioned. That car, with 2008 tech = heaven.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    Wow! Almost 4 weeks without a post.

I drove a friends brand spankin' new 535i last night. It is a rocket. Gobs of power in a heavy, heavy car.

I am starting to wonder about the twin turbo in a 1 series and am starting to consider the 128i instead - manual, of course.

I need someone to talk me out of it. :surprise:

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

I need someone to talk me out of it.

Sure, the 128i would be a nice car, but the 135i is absolutely spectacular!

Don't even THINK of depriving yourself from owning one of the best engines the world has ever known! Does the TT engine need to win yet another award to convince you?

C'mon, man, get a grip! ;)

The 135i with a stick is heaven on earth. Few cars can compare to the overall feeling of that car. It's a magic carpet, if there ever was one.

My Porsche sits in the garage, while I'm driving my 135i. Can you imagine why?

Now, you asked for a little help here... so... am I getting through to ya'?... LOL. :)

TM
    That may have done it...LOL

Thanks

Temporary insanity. :)

I'll take the other side of the argument.

Improved fuel mileage, improved balance, and a lighter car. The 135 is overkill.

:)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The 135 is overkill.

I'll counter...

It is overkill if performance is not high on your priority list. If it is, then it is the sweet spot to end all sweet spots!

Regards,
    OW
    Well, it is high on my priority list (which is why i mention lighter and better balance, of course) .... but the 128 still performs well. In the end, I'd bet the 135 has little to no advantage at the autoX. So is that worth $5k extra purchase price and a higher fuel bill for my entire ownership experience? Not to me.

I beg to differ because I tested both. The 128 was far softer/less tossable in the twisties. Good but far from the sport tuned results in the 135i.

The 128 is all you ever need but the performance difference is worth $5K to me. It more than delivers that extra cost in spades!

Regards,
    OW
    I'd bet the 135 has little to no advantage at the autoX.

Autocross? HAHA!! Put the cars on a full-fledged race track and see what they can REALLY do!!!

The world's largest website dedicated to the 1-Series has had countless posts comparing the 128i to the 135i. The cars offer a very different level of performance.

The 128i is very nice and certainly is impressive. No one should feel bad about owning one. But, that said, the 135i is a beast that absolutely blows the 128i away!

Every time someone thinks they are even remotely the same, it turns out that they haven't even driven them. Once they drive them both, the truth ALWAYS emerges. There are countless reviews that make this clear.

As far as fuel economy goes, they are almost identical... unless you drive with a lead foot!

If someone is on a budget and can't afford the 135i, then the 128i is a good "plan B". But, I can not emphasize enough that the velvety delivery of power of the 135i's twin turbo engine in terms of both horsepower and torque is testimony to why it has won the engine of the year award for two years in a row. It's smoother than Teflon. It's just THAT good.

TM
    I could never sell that good. Brilliant!

My sales lady made me understand what you just posted. My first drive was SR-less on the 128 so I got to test the limits but when it came to the demanding sales lady with the 135, she made me go through the slalom with foot pinned to the floor. Best car I've ever driven!

Regards,
    OW
    She sounds N-I-C-E!! ;)

TM
    comparing the 128 to the 135? Is is 1addicts?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy,
    Hey! How's it going?

1addicts is a great website for 1-Series information. There are hundreds of members, some of whom are BMW enthusiasts, and some are track guys, and some just love their new 1ers, and like to talk about 'em. A few have a little "attitude", but most are incredibly respecful and willing to realistically discuss the 1-Series and their experiences with the car. Members span all age brackets and are from all states, even foreign countries.

Are you a member?

TM
    I post mostly here on edmunds and a little bit over on bimmerfest. Thanks for the info! I'm glad you really love your 135i.

Put the cars on a full-fledged race track and see what they can REALLY do!!!

If that is what you will do, then that's great. And I agree, the 135 will outshine the 128 by far. But, let's be realistic, 99.9% of 135 buyers will never take it to the track.

On a daily commuting basis, on public roads at legal speeds, I just can't see the $5k being worth it.

As far as fuel economy goes, they are almost identical

They aren't terribly far apart, but 10% is 10% and not identical.

Every time someone thinks they are even remotely the same, it turns out that they haven't even driven them. Once they drive them both, the truth ALWAYS emerges. There are countless reviews that make this clear.

Don't get my wrong here. We are really talking about emotion vs logic. Logically speaking, my opinion is the 135 is not worth the price premium. Emotionally speaking is a whole different ballgame.

The 128 was far softer/less tossable in the twisties.

Oh, I wouldn't go without the sport pack, personally.

I agree, the 135 will outshine the 128 by far. But, let's be realistic, 99.9% of 135 buyers will never take it to the track.

Of course. But, if you will recall, I was replying to your idea that they should be compared at an autocross, and 99.9% of folks don't go there either. So... let's just remove the track and autocross from the picture, and the real point is that the 135i has superior handling in real-life conditions. The track just further proves it's capabilites, but the car certainly reveals itself in everyday driving as well. Just like a truck will feel like a truck... well, the 135i will be what it is, and it's performance dynamics are indeed superior to the 128i, which we already agree.

Now, that all said, there is nothing wrong with choosing the 128i over a 135i... but don't suggest that they are equivalent in real-life driving. They are not! And that is objective logic. How folks feel about those objective differences is what then becomes subjective.

On a daily commuting basis, on public roads at legal speeds, I just can't see the $5k being worth it.

That's your subjective perspective, and that's fine. But, ANY car can exceed the posted limit, so it's really about what happens WITHIN the posted limit that makes the difference... like taking corners, passing, and accelerating. The 135i will offer a more exhilerating driving experience than the 128i, just as the 128i will offer a more exhilerating experience over a Corolla. Everyone draws the line somewhere. For me (and for most folks purchasing the 1-Series), the additional $5K to get the 135i's real-life superior handling capabilities is money very WELL spent. It's a LOT more bang for just a little more buck.

TM
    Wait a sec. I'm confused. WHY does the 135 "handle better" than the 128? If we're talking sportpack 128, that is. Are we talking JUST tires here? Which, of course, can be easily and inexpensively remedied.

Maybe I don't fully understand all the differences in the vehicles.

BTW, I mentioned autoX only because the 135s performance superiority was the whole reason given for choosing it. But, as we've both agreed, that performance superiority is nill except at a full racetrack.

But, as we've both agreed, that performance superiority is nill except at a full racetrack.

No. That's not my position.

The 135i's (or any car for that matter) performance superiority is more fully demonstrated at a race track, but it is far from nill in real-life.

You seem to be suggesting that the 135i's 30% increase in horsepower (over the 128i) and a 50% increase in torque (over the 128i) doesn't matter, and only both car's suspensions is what matters, even though the 135i's is "calibrated"... and be aware here that I am not focusing on the suspension here, anyway. Suspension, throttle, steering, and brakes all go hand-in-hand. The throttle has a LOT to do with performance, even in real-life situations, such as acceleration, passing maeuvers, taking curves, corners, and other turning scenarios. The throttle plays a bigger role than you seem to suggest.

BTW, the brakes in the 135i are also better than those in the 128i.

Again, as before, a twin turbo N54 engine offering a 30% increase in horsepower, a 50% increase in torque, as well as better brakes, are in and of themselves sufficient reasons to spend the $5K. The performance advantages in real-life are worth every penny.

If your driving is only congested commute traffic, perhaps you should get a Prius! :P

;) j/k Rob.

TM
    Don't be confused. Drive both and then you will know for yourself. I did. I'll spend that $5K easy.

Regards,
    OW
    Drive both and then you will know for yourself. I did. I'll spend that $5K easy.

Bingo!

The 128i is a great car. And, while it's no 135i, it's still a 1-Series.

If gbrozen gives them both a good test drive, and then chooses the 128i, I'll congratulate him for selecting a terrific BMW 1-Series automobile.

TM
    Every time someone thinks they are even remotely the same, it turns out that they haven't even driven them.

Ain't that the truth? I've never driven either one of them. Just going by specs and what you owners and test-drivers say. I do like to have the performance when I want (need) it, even though it may not be very often.

I have 2 dealers within a reasonable distance. One has NO 1 series and the other has ONE 128i A and it's in the showroom. They turn their nose up if you ask to drive it.

Hopefully their '09s will be coming in soon, but finding a manual to drive is going to be a chore. My E46 is a little over 3 years old and I'm itching badly. :D

I'm supposing I will like the 135i much better, but time will tell. I sure won't be ashamed if I decide on a 128i manual w/ Sport Package. (Don't yell at me again...LOL)

I sure won't be ashamed if I decide on a 128i manual w/ Sport Package.

Great car! No reason to be ashamed.

If you acquired one, I am certain it would rattle the cages if you claimed that your new 128i performed every bit as good as a 135i. However, saying that you recognize that there is a performance difference between the two cars, but you are quite satisfied with the 128i would get my respect and congratulations alike! :)

TM
    well you DID say it handles better.

Overall performance? Yes, of course I'm not arguing that the 135 is better. It would be silly to do otherwise.

What I have done here is take the other position to the OP's original request for arguments as to one or the other.

And I'll stick to my position that, in the end, in normal day-to-day driving, $5k is a helluva lot to spend just to go 0-60 ~1 sec faster.

Which one would I buy? Well, that wasn't the question, nor the answer. :)

Interesting that you think in terms of 1/4 mile times. The additional power is there for a plethora of opportunities in day to day driving that adding the tighter suspension tuning, upgraded brakes and tires, lends to a car with that much more performance available after the ignition turns. This performance ADVANTAGE is evident between the 2 cars and was designed for two different drivers.

You can lead or get out of the way. ;)

Regards,
    OW
    The additional power is there for a plethora of opportunities in day to day driving that adding the tighter suspension tuning, upgraded brakes and tires, lends to a car with that much more performance available after the ignition turns.

Then, to be honest, you are doing things on public roads you SHOULDN'T be doing. If you take a "lowly" 128 and are engaging your ABS and traction control on a regular basis, please stay off the road.

And, as I said, I was talking 128 with sport pack, so I believe that is the same suspension, is it not?

I believe not but will check into it. The tires alone are different and the brakes are bigger. I never engaged the 128i TC but knew the difference between both at 20 MPH and touching the brakes and feeling the steering/suspension difference in the 135i. The 128i I tested did not have SP.

Regards,
    OW
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I have not driven the 135i, but my short test drive in a 128i (premium, Steptronic) leads me to believe it would provide more than enough entertainment as a daily driver.

Would I like to have 30% more horsepower? Sure. Would I spend $5K for it? Probably not. I don't do AutoX nor track days, so the razor sharp handling afforded by the 135i wouldn't be of much use.

in the end, in normal day-to-day driving, $5k is a helluva lot to spend just to go 0-60 ~1 sec faster.

Exactly! My thoughts are this - 0-60 in 6 seconds (128i) should be more than fast enough in everyday traffic (my 2003 Saturn L300 will do 0-60 in just over 8 seconds, by way of comparison).

In the end, however, to each his or her own. Some people will settle for nothing but the best and get the 135; other people will simply want the "BMW Experience" for a lower price and go with the 128i.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    What comes down to is this, if you can afford the extra $$ in the monthly payments, insurance difference, then don't worry about it and buy the car. Some of the others on here make for a good point in the fact that you might use that extra HP once in a while. When I was out looking at cars the 135 and 128 were on the list. After driving them and weighting the $ factor between the 2, _I_ could not justify the price difference for the 135i. So the 128i w/SP was on my short list. I wasn't looking for the ultimate car, but I figured the 128 is about 300-400 lbs lighter then a 3 series so the 128 would have the extra power. I looked at others cars, and I finally bought something else. It came down to price for me, As I was looking for a new car, an opening in a masters program I wanted to get into opened so I had to scale back my $ outlay. But once I'm done and settled into a new job, I'll be looking at the 128i again...
    yeah, the BMW site is kinda nebulous on that point. The wording for both the 135 and 128 SP suspension is the same. Are the exactly the same components? I don't know.

The tires are slightly wider on the 135, but like I said earlier, that's easily and inexpensively fixed. (don't lots of folks choose to dump the runflats anyway?)

Brake "feel" is kinda tough to discuss. The 135 may feel better, but will it stop shorter? Oh ... but then again, if it does, that may be attributable to those wider tires.

Eh, in any case, we could discuss these minor differences till the cows come home. It all comes down to what its worth to the buyer. As michael said, some folks just won't settle for less. And I can understand that. Its only recently I've been setting my sights a bit lower in the name of practicality. Its the reason I bought a G35X over the S60R my emotions were telling me to buy.

True, the differences are only there if you care. If you don't, no sweat! The 128 is a great car. I originally went to BMW because I was tired of the US excuse for a car. Garbage was not an option this time around. Te 330xi I have has been bashed as a fat pig of a car with a slusbox for sissies. It is faster than the 128 and the handling is flatter in the xi despite the claim there is no tuned suspension.

I am overjoyed in the level of performance this car brings and then I drove the 135 and was flabbergasted!

TM can answer the tuning suspension differences on the 135 vs. 128 if he knows!

Regards,
    OW
    Probably not much difference in both suspensions with sport package. BMW refers to the 135i's suspension as "calibrated"... my guess is it's not a big deal.

The amazIng thing here is that the entire combination of suspension, brakes, steering, tires, and massive increase in horsepower and torque is what seems to transform the 135i.

I always think of why folks get the "S" variant in their Porsche.

I rememember my original Boxster. The car was lacking, and the following year an "S" became available to the delight of many.

DRIVE them to understand.

TM
    What kind of E46 do you have?

I just passed by the local dealer and they had 6 1-series. 2 verts and 4 coupes.

Tempting....

Regards,
    OW
    I always think of why folks get the "S" variant in their Porsche.

i sometimes wonder that, too.

Well..... ok, maybe not so much when it comes to Porsche. I mean, its an expensive car already, so what's a little extra?

But I'm sure I would be VERY happy with a base Cayman. :)

BTW, just pulled into work 10 minutes ago and lo and behold, there is a new 128i sitting out there with a temporary tag. Its the dark metallic grey, black interior, and manual trans. I don't believe it had the sport pack (didn't want to get too close but it didn't appear to be sport seats).

One thing I did take note of was the brakes. Man, they DO look small!

Rob,
    I just want to make sure that you don't misunderstand my posts. I am not trying to scoff at the 128i in any way at all. I think it's a steal for the money as is the 135i. It would be a fantastic car to own and a joy to drive, without any doubt.

Putting all the objective specifications aside, my only point is that once someone drives both of them, they will definately feel a difference. If they do not find that they would like to own the 135i's added performance, exhileration, and kick-in-the-pants, than by all means they should buy the 128i.

For me, I generally like to get my cars fully loaded, and get the best version of a car that is available. That way, I'm never second guessing myself or feeling that I missed out on something. The 135i is the very best of the 1-Series, and that's just the way I prefer it. And, trust me, I have no regrets getting my 135i. I've bought a lot of cars in my days, and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made at any price.

Any buyer that looks at these cars, should get what works best for them. It's going to be their car, hopefully for many years.

I wish venture the best of luck if he is trying to decide on which one to get.

TM
    Oh, no worries. And don't get me wrong, either. I'm not saying I wouldn't like the added performance nor am I saying I won't "feel" the difference. I just take a bit more logical approach (or at least try to) and judge whether or not it is "worth" it.

I get what you mean, but don't you think when it comes down to it, "being worth it" depends upon how you "feel" about "it"?... "it" being the enhanced driving characteristics of the 135i.

When we think about this, there's really nothing logical to it at all! How someone "feels" about it, or how much one of the cars "appeals" to someone is all subjective.

It's near impossible to place only logic in the purchase of a car. Appliances perhaps, but not cars. Although I've met a few people in my lifetime that have diminished their view of a car as a mere appliance.

To me, that's a tragedy.

Anyway, I know what you are saying... we're just saying it a little differently. After all, there has to be some point to draw the line, right? ;)

TM
    "I generally like to get my cars fully loaded, and get the best version of a car that is available. That way, I'm never second guessing myself or feeling that I missed out on something."

You never second guess yourself that you may have paid for something you don't need, or something with diminishing return for your extra $$? ;)

If I always drive my car at 10/10th, or 9/10th, then the extra $5k for the 135 would probably be a bargain, but we all know most people do not drive their cars anywhere near the limit. It's not even a question of ability. Sometimes it's just a function of where you live, and work, and drive, and other family duties.
    You know, at the end of the day, a car is just a machine. And one that probably depreciates faster than your Subzero and Maytag! ;)
    You can never drive your car at even 8/10ths on purpose on public roads. The performance can also help in emergency maneuvers. The split second is sometimes worth the extra $$$...I know that in just the beefier brakes, I feel far more comfortable on defense! The more capable the car, the better the tool when needed.

In the end, it's all about relative passion for driving. Nothing is wrong or right except what is comfortable for you.

It's nice to effortlessly do what some cars are a burden to accomplish.
    The 135i gives me that feeling of completeness even when driving for hyper-mileage!

Regards,
    OW