Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

piapia Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Looking at Chevy S10 due to great
$2000 rebate and to use GM points.
Would recent S10 owners share their
experiences on '98/'99 models ? Thanks

Comments

• giffgiff Member Posts: 10
    I have a new 99 S-10 and so far I like it. I must tell you though I do not yet have 1000 miles on it. I got the truck because of the great incentives and I had a GM card discount of 2200.00 to apply to it. I am paying 272.00 per month for the next four years and that is at only .9% interest. For four years you cannot beat it. My truck came right off the lot and it is dark cherry red metallic (identical to the one at the top of the screen.) I got a 6 cyl. with tilt, cruise, air, auto, increased capacity (springs) and alloy wheels. I was hoping to get the extended cab but could not locate any at this time of year with the 6 cyl. The truck seems great so far. My only complaint are the high seat backs which are difficult to see around when you are backing up.
  • s10riders10rider Member Posts: 1
    Where did you receive the great $2000 rebate? I have seen $1500 and it said it expired July 1st??
  • mick0311mick0311 Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my '99 S-10 xtended cab few weeks ago.
    Nothing about the truck I don't care for, EXCEPT...and part of this is my own fault. The Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires that came on the truck have received a number of bad reviews. They were reviewed as very poor performers even on dry pavement! I told the dealer that I didnt want the Uniroyals at the point of sale. They said they could not change tires...GMC/Chevrolet policy. I took delivery of the truck with the Uniroyals on it. Beware!!! they are bad news, especially with a 6cyl S-10. They "break" on starts, break on anything like sand on the road and in the rain they are a pure gamble!
    I've written and contacted everyone at Chevrolet I could find. They dont want to hear about it! They say tires are not a part of the warrantied parts list. The BBB couldnt sway them. The NHSTA has a number of logged complaints about the Uniroyals. The dealer finally offered me $25 each allowance if I wanted to go buy new tires myself and bring the Uniroyals back.....Pitiful! I kick myself in the butt for taking delivery with the Uniroyals. Had I walked, I bet they would have found a way to switch the tires!
    DON't take delivery of your new truck with the Uniroyal Tiger Paws mounted...unless you like flirtin' with destruction. The dealership I bought from is in Middletown, Rhode Island.
    mick
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    of www.edmunds.com will be our new Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 compact pickup Spin! Watch for the link here.

Bonnie Rick
    Town Hall Community Manager, Edmunds.com
  • senselesssenseless Member Posts: 46
    I had a '96 S-10 pickup 2wd, manual, 4 cylinder LS for 40,000 miles with no trouble at all. Consumer Reports gives the S-10 a poor service record, but my experience was all good. The 4WD models may have more problems.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    My '90 S10 4x4 Blazer has 108,000 miles, and has been great. Plenty of them are running around with 200,000 miles. My service experience has been good. It needed a clutch, and exhaust, but parts are inexpensive comparatively.
  • chevy10chevy10 Member Posts: 17
    I just bought a brand new Zr2 extended cab and it is awesome. It has everything you want and need. The problem is that the tires are so big that it gets dirty real fast. I asked about mud flaps but they dont make them for this model because they would rub on the tires. I was wondering if anyone knew about or had flaps on thier Zr2. I think im going to by chrome siding to protect from chips and scrapes and it will provide a good look. Id just like to say that if your looking for a compact pickup that can go anywhere but also be stylish this is it. When i see so many heads turn as i drive by it makes me feel like it was well worth the money. Oh and by the way if you buy one they have and alarm. I didnt know and i set it off and didnt know how to dis-arm it. Well anyway im going for a spin. If anyone knows what i could do for mud flaps please right back. Thank You. RYAN
  • ebolaboyebolaboy Member Posts: 1
    i have 3200mi on my 99 s-10 and the camshaft is toast. i got the 4.3 v6. it's already been 6 days since i've sent it in for repair. they had to sublet out the repair. if you hear a "tick tick tick" in quick succession while your engine is running, watch out. has anyone else had this sort of problem before?

by the way, the rental was free but enterprise is charging me 11.99 per day on liability insurance. is there any way to circumvent this charge?

other than that, i absolutely love the truck...it's appearance, ride, response, interior, so-on-and-so-forth. but this has really got me concerned.
  • ericcartman57ericcartman57 Member Posts: 1
    i would like to know where you find the $2000 rebates too. i'm thinking of getting an s-10. a review says the S-10 has low seats and I'm not very tall. anyone out there who's short and driving an s-10? what's your opinion?
    I am probably what you would call a short driver. I am about 5'7". I have a 99 s-10(see posting #1). I do not have a problem with the seat being too low while I am driving. The only problem is that the seat backs are too high to see around when you are backing up. I am not sure that physical stature is an issue with the seat back, I am sure that even taller drivers have difficulty seeing over it in a 99 s-10. The seat backs in the 98s were shorter than the 99s as for as I know.
    Your best bet will be to test drive one yourself and see what you think.
  • hpkhpk Member Posts: 1
    I just got a new 2000 ZR2 and I am only getting 15 miles per gallon on the highway and only 12 in town. What are some of you getting for mileage? Also does anyone know why they don't come with the ZR2 sticker on the back like the big trucks have the Z71?
    I am glad to see someone has mentioned this. My S-10 has just over 2000 miles on it and it is getting about 20-21 mpg. on the highway. I have a two wheel drive regular cab with an auto transmission and the 4.3L V6. I know we are comparing 2 different weight 99 S-10's here but I do not think even 20-21 is that great. Of course this is my first new pickup and I am use to the gas mileage of my old car.
    I don't know what your mileage is but you may have to put a few thousand miles on the truck before you are getting a better average. Can't help you with the sticker thing.
    Not to get too far off of the subject, but what about the accuracy of your gas gauge. Mine reads empty with about 4.5-5 gallons in the tank. Anyone else this far off with the gauge?
  • jasonpeterclarjasonpeterclar Member Posts: 30
    Yes I have never put more that 18 gals into my "20" gallon tank in my '93 S10 Blazer. I don't mind because the fuel in the tank is also the coolant for the electric (in-tank) fuel pump. I've heard of them burning out when run low too much. This might be idiot-proofing by GM, or just an inaccurate level sender. I don't mind stopping 40 miles earlier either way. One thing to watch out for, when your on Empty and you happen to really hit the brakes hard, you'll stall the engine when all the gas goes to the front of the tank and the pump loses suction. Only happened twice but...
    By the way, I get 20-22 highway and 15-17 city. All time high of 24.5 in florida in summer all interstate. I have the 4.3L V6 and 4wd. But I also have tall 3.08 gears. 3.42's usually get 5-10% less mileage on the highway and the same around town. (120,000 miles and still humming!)
  • lemoilemoi Member Posts: 2
    I just traded in my 97 S10 V-6 for a 2000 ZR2.. I was getting about 236-miles on a tankful before I would fuel up.. Thats pretty near 17-miles per gallon on a 16-mile commute (mostly highway) everyday.. I kinda expect the same from the ZR2.. I had a 95 S10 with the 4-cyl 2WD back a bit and that got about 27 mpg.. Huge difference, but it could not climb an incline without downshifting, especially with the AC on..
    kam..
  • johnhosejohnhose Member Posts: 1
    1988 S-10 WHILE DRIVING WITH A/C ON IT SHUTS OFF DURING DRIVING AND EXPERIENCES JOLTING. SERVICE BULLETIN RUMOR SAYS IT MIGHT BE IN A/C / TEMP. CONTROL SWITCH. COULD THIS CAUSE THE HESITATION AND FAST IDLE.
  • cab5cab5 Member Posts: 1
    The 1999 S10 has a $2000 cash incentive till Sept. 30, 1999. The 2000 S10 has a $1250 rebate starting Aug. 23, 1999 till ? in Erie, Pa area. Looking into offer carefully.
  • biker3biker3 Member Posts: 1
    Concerning the gas mileage of the chevy S10. I
    recently bought a 99 model with manual
    transmission. Driving around town(only) with the
    A/C running almost constantly (west texas heat)I
    got 19.6 MPG. On the second tank, it went to 20.9
    MPG. The truck has just over 500 miles. Is this
    comparable to what others are getting with manual transmission? I would be interested in hearing
    from others on this subject. Also, any problems
    that have come up.
  • 70575537057553 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 S-10 ls extra cab with the 4.3 V6. My truck is two wheel drive and it has the Tiger Paws on it and they do just that, perform poorly in any weather. I also had problems just after my warranty expired, the fuel sending unit died leaving me stranded and about $400 less in my pocket. Then the drivers power window motor burnt out. Another $200 out of my pocket. Now my a/c is working when it wants to, the dealer says it's my compressor and wants $750 to replace it. Has anyone else had any of these problems? I only have 49,000 miles on this truck, and they word Chevy is starting to give me second thoughts.
    I have a '99 S-10 with 4.3L. I took it into the dealer for some minor things. It had a rattle on the passenger side cowl cover. The service dept. re-attached a clip and tightened a bolt. They also reprogrammed the trucks computer to calibrate the gas gauge correctly. This took the dealer about 45 minutes total. They informed me that Chevy knows of a problem with the gas gauge for the S-10. So far so good!
  • kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 S10 Extended Cab with 160,000 miles on it, & it's been an excellent truck.
    In fact, I'm starting my search for a new one.
    Not a thing wrong with the one I have ... just reday for a new truck after 10 years with this one.
    Go into one of those Toyota topics and tell them that. They think 60,000 for a head gasket is good. Only have 108,000 on my '90 S10 Blazer. It's still in fine shape.
  • bman300bman300 Member Posts: 1
    I too had problem with my 96s-10 A/C. Dealer also told me it was compressor, it was just a freon leak which I fixed for 30 bucks. Dealer has always given me the run around. Motor spark knocks like crazy with only 50k miles. Also when coasting to a red light, motor sometimes revs up on its own, dealer said that was normal, yeah right. They really hate doing warranty work.
  • psychojeffpsychojeff Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 S-10 4WD pickup with the 4.3 V6 and extended cab. It has almost 13,000 miles on it and so far its been a good truck. The only problems I've had so far is that the headlights seem to flicker, the rear window has a leak and the gas gauge never quite reads full. I can fit in another 2 gallons after the pump stops. I get 20-23 mpg on the highway and thats cruising at 75mph or more with the AC on. One other complaint is the amount of bugs that hit the windshield. I've never had so many dead bugs on a windshield before in my life.
    Well, the gas gauge still shows empty when there are about 5 gallons left in the tank. Guess the dealers calibration did not work correctly. That is not a major problem but it would be nice if it were a little more accurate. When I took the truck in for the gauge fix I also had them look at the problem with the flickering headlight. I did not mention it before because the dealer said that I may have had my defrost on and that will cycle on the air conditioner compressor which may cause the lights to dim when it kicks on. I began to pay closer attention to whether or not I had the air conditioner on or defrost engauged. The lights still dim, it is an instantaneous thing. It is hard to catch if you do not look for it. I do not notice that it does anything else at the same time beside the headlight thing. The truck seems to do it once every 45 minutes or so, and of course I only notice it at night.
    Unless you think a short circuit is possible, and are worrying about the headlamps suddenly going off without warning, I tend to think the voltage regulator might be responsible for the flickering. And it may be normal, if it is switching between modes as your electrical load requirements change.
  • donw3donw3 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a new 99 S-10 4wd with 5 speed on September 1. I got the GM option 1 through my father in law as well as 2000.00 in rebates. I didn't know about the extra 500.00 until I went to sign the papers and the owner of the dealership came into the salesman's office and told me about it. I had intended to pay $1000.00 down in addition to the financing, but because of the extra 500 rebate, I only paid 500 down. I thanked the dealer who, I assume, could have pocketed the extra 500 because I didn't know a thing about it. My truck is very basic. It has a 4.3 motor, AC and an ETR stereo. I wish it had cruise control. I am looking for a good aftermarket item. Any suggestions would be helpful. I am also in the market for a bed liner and a tonneau cover. I have considered a spray in liner. If any of you have that, any advice would be helpful there also.
  • johndevjohndev Member Posts: 2
    Hey, bman300...I have '96 GMC Sonoma 4cyl...just took it to dealer yesterday cause the a/c doesn't work, they said I needed a new compressor for $1100...when I pressed for the problem, he said "it just fell apart"...I just took it back...Sounds Like I should get a second opinion?
  • calimp3calimp3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 S10 extended cab four cylinder w/a 5 speed. I avg only 19mpg and I spend about 40 miles per day on the freeway. Whats the deal, I thought maybe it was because it's new, now it has over 5000 miles on it and the mileage still sucks. Only on rare occassions do I even use a/c. Anyone else having the same problem?
  • yackyack Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 extended cab with 4.3 engine. Problems with it have been both seat recliner handles have broken off, just yesterday I notice that the paint on the roof is all cracked [its going back to the dealer tomorrow], one turn signal has stopped flashing, the driver seat adjustment doesn't catch and slides back unexpectedly, the light sensor on the right side of the dash fell into the dash, it pulls to the right and I have had the alignment adjusted 2 times without success, When I stop for a long light or a train when I start forward sometimes I get this roaring noise [don't know how else to explain it] from the engine and the truck shifts hard from 1st to second. Anybody looking for a used S10??
  • andreisandreis Member Posts: 1
    I've had an 88 S10 Blazer for 3yrs now.. Everything in the world's gone wrong with it..
    Connecting rod, gas tank, main seal, suspension (well, I guess offroading doesn't help), rust, rust, rust, rust (only when I took a hammer to find out what's really underneath it was BAD).. etc, etc.. Looking at getting a 99 S10 4WD higher horse V6.. Dealer has a package w/EVERYTHING in it.. stuff I don't need too like CD, third door.. not in a color I like either.. Wanted a 2000ZR2 in pewter.. this one he has is metal green w/offroad package.. he's offering though for 29000CDN w/tax.. ($20000US?).. ZR2 is like $5000 more he's asking.. could get it for like $3000 more.. My 88 has American Racing 16holes on it.. Could probably change those around instead of their 15" Aluminum it comes with.. Only problem with both the 99/00 models (99 offroad / 00 ZR2) is the Bilsteins are so damn expensive to change.. I can get Monroe's Heavy Duty (THICK!!) for like $40CDN each.. Bilsteins are like $150 or so.. argh.. Anyone think a strut tower brace would help that buckle you feel in the 99 either? I only drove it for like 15 minutes yesterday, but it sure feels like it could use a tad more stiffness..
  • mikemc1mikemc1 Member Posts: 10
    I just bought my first brand new vehicle toady.
    I bought a 99 s-10 and received the $2000 rebate.
    It is dark cherry red metallic and has the short
    box. Does anyone know where I can get a custom
    painted tonneau cover to match my paint.
  • hardware1hardware1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a friend who has a '98 S-10, 2 wheel ext cab with a 4.3 and an auto. He has 7000 miles on it and is complaining that when it runs hotter than normal, the transmisson feels like it is slipping. He said that it revs up (no tach) but doesn't go. The dealer told him that they cannot find any problem. A second dealer said they feel that the trans needs to be replaced? Anyone else?
    Thanks, Chip
  • tonysracingtonysracing Member Posts: 80
    Bought this truck new, special order from the dealer. Have had the following problems
    --sunvisor light died 4000mi
    --replaced Uniroyal death tires 10000mi
    --replace torsion bar mounts (1 broke) 67000mi

Other than normal maintenance (brakes, filters, lights) has been extremely reliable.
  • sid1200sid1200 Member Posts: 10
    what is this 500 extra rebate that someone was talking about.

if you can email me that would be great

sid1200@aol.com
  • malinchemalinche Member Posts: 1
    I have an, extra-cab, V6, automatic, a gorgeous indigo blue that is fully loaded--and it was the 3rd door that sold me on getting it. My only complaints so far: the 3rd door hinge actually broke after 7 months (the week I was moving too!) and I couldn't open it. Warranty replaced it but was told by the dealer that although it was a great feature, it had a tendency to break. Not a good sign...
    I did not know about the tire problem--but had noticed it not "gripping" on wet pavement when I tried to accelerate sometimes--and living in the perpetually foggy and rainy bay-area, this is a major concern. I don't really want to replace tires that have only 7500 miles on them...but this is scary to me.
    I am 5'1" and have no problem seeing over the hood, but do agree that the high seats (they are bucket and not a bench) can be hard to look over.
    My truck off the lot was $21k. And with combined discounts from AAA, dealer, and their GM student rebates (as a grad student, I saved $300--you need to go the website to get the coupon), I got it out the door for $18,500, 5 year, 2.9% apr--$278 a month payments (I put $4K down, another $1K from GMAC credit points).
    All in all, we are a Chevy car and truck family--and I love my S-10!
  • joseph26joseph26 Member Posts: 6
    Im looking for a truck to fit in my price range but one that has some balls. Does Chevy or any other aftermarket company offer a supercharger to fit this 4.3 V6 that the S-10 comes with.
    Just wondering.
  • zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    They sure do! Check the Vortec SC and I think there is a whipple charger that is a cork screw type (best kind for stock trucks if you ask me).
  • gmsjsbgmsjsb Member Posts: 8
    Hi guys. I couldn't pass up the $2,000 rebate either and bought a 2WD LS Extended cab with the 4 cylinder and 5-speed. Only options are air, cassette, and alloy rims, along with all the nice LS goodies. The Victory red paint really turns heads! Sticker was $16,272, got $700 off plus the $2k, not bad. With taxes and new tags I think it was about $14,500.

First impression is this is lots of vehicle for the money. There's a great view, the seats are very comfortable, and you sit higher than most other cars on the road. There are some really nice features like the automatic headlamps, great gauges, armrest, delayed power off when exiting, big mirrors, variable ratio steering, great brake feel, quiet ride, etc. I had a squeak from the driver's B-pillar, come to find out it was a clip that wasn't attached properly. The transmission seems a tad notchy shifting to 2nd sometimes, does anybody else feel that with the manual?

The 4-cylinder does a good job for commuting purposes and cruises effortlessly at 70 mph. Fuel mileage is about the same as my old 91 S-10 4cyl auto (94,000 miles, very reliable), about 26-27 mostly highway, with better performance. I can't complain about that; I can usually get about 450 miles a tank without pushing it too low.

Complaints? minor if any. The wiper control seems to work backwards compared to older GM products. Maybe it's just me but I like the old turn stalk better where you turn the entire end of the stalk rather than a little ring. The engine bay is tight compared to my old iron duke. I don't know if I want to do maintenance on this one! At least it's got long life coolant and spark plugs. 1st and 2nd gears are a little short by my preferences but the other ratios are good. I wonder if that's because I have the 4.10:1 axle?

I really want to get a bedliner so I don't screw up the nice finish. I occasionaly carry stuff in the bed (camping stuff). Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a liner? Should I stay away from places like Pep Boys or Autozone?
  • dave_nvirginiadave_nvirginia Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new 2000 truck over the weekend, indigo blue. LS grade, 4cyl / reg cab/short/auto/air/cd seats are 60-40 with solid-smooth suspension so far it is great. Dealer left it go at a surprising price after the $1250.00 rebate and my verbal thoughts of visiting the GMC guy down the road my cost was only $13,500 plus state tax and transfer plates.
  • hate_times_ninhate_times_nin Member Posts: 1
    I WAITED FOR THE RIGHT MOMENT AND FINALLY GOT IT. THIS IS MY FIRST TRUCK I EVER OWNED AND I HAVE TO SAY... IT IS NICE FOR HAVING IT SORT OF CUSTOM MADE BY FACTORY. THE FIST THING I NOTICED RIGHT OFF; IS IT HANDELS THE TURNS VERY NICE. ESPECIALLY ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY. AND WITH THE 4.3 V-6;IT HAS A LOT OF PICK UP FOR SUCH A LIGHT TRUCK. IT CAN GET BUMPY ON SOME ROADS. (101 ANY ONE?) BUT I LIKE IT. IS THERE ANY ONE WHO HAS AN XTREME? LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK? I LIKE TO KNOW. SO FAR THAT I KNOW I'M THE THIRD PERSON IN VENTURA THAT HAS ONE.(IT WAS THAT HARD TO GET.)
  • goggles65goggles65 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have been looking to buy an S-10 for the drive back and forth from work. I like driving a stick (haven't had one for 10 yrs) but my wife hates them. Do the automatic 4cyl's work well. I can't imagine they have the acceleration of the stick. By the way here in Raleigh NC there is a dealer advertizing 2000 S10 reg cab 4cyl LS package, ac ,aluminum wheels,cd and chrome appearance package for $11,980 does this sound like a deal?
  • jimmyb4jimmyb4 Member Posts: 2
    I was considering buying a Xtreme S-10 with a v-6 like yours. I loved the power it had and the handling, but I have one problem that maybe you can help me with. Is it real easy to get break the rear end loose in the rain? I ask because I live in Wisconsin, and we get a lot of snow and the dealer of course will say it handles good. By the way if you are looking for a better sound and a little bit quicker, go to www.slponline.com they have a dual exhaut system in there as weel as new air intake, and it is all warranteed by GM, they are the ones that do the Camaro SS, Pontiac GTX, etc. Or if your blood is a little richer got to www.borla.com
  • plmccallplmccall Member Posts: 2
    To mick0311 about shoddy Uniroyal tires: I have a '98 LS, almost all options, yet I think our (at least my) traction woes can be attributed to this POS rear differential that for some reason they decided it would be up to the task. I get this spinning right rear wheel while the vehicle stays still in damp conditions. I also have the Uniroyals, but contacting the dealer said that new tires probably won't correct this. Chevrolet has ignored the hell out of my EMails about this. I'm thinking about some Michelin LTX M/S's anyway. I despise these tires, and has detracted a lot from this vehicle. I will be turning this one in at the end of the lease period. Please feel free to respond by email.

Patrick
    mccall@tds.net
  • plmccallplmccall Member Posts: 2
    To ebolaboy about camshaft: Well, from my previous post, I do have a '98 S-10 LS with the LF6 V6 and I do hear a rapid ticking noise. Last night, I eased the throttle all the way to WOT and a thin haze appeared in the headlights of cars behind me. I've seen it every time I have done this. I do have the vehicle serviced at regular intervals. Are these signs of a similar camshaft problem?

Patrick
    mccall@tds.net
  • bem9qbem9q Member Posts: 1
    got a 1999 s10 LB 4WD 4.3Lv6 base interior. great deal with the rebates, and it runs well. I've been noticing some rear-wheel slip on rainy days while starting in 1st gear, but no slip if i have any weight in the back. thinking of getting some sandbags for the upcoming winter season. or, i can just run 4wd when accelerating hard. i commute 20 miles to work every day, mostly highway, and i average about 18-19 mpg. on highway trips, i've gotten up to 22 mpg. not bad for the heavier longbed and 4wd.

As for bedliners, i got the Line-X spray-on liner, over-rail, and I HIGHLY recommend it. you pay for it, though. but people see the new truck, and their first comment is usually about the bedliner. leaves you more room, has a nice grip texture, prevents rust, and if you gouge it they can repair it instead of replacing it like traditional bedliners.

i put the bedliner on my loan.

otherwise, love the factory stereo. i've learned to let the truck idle for a minute or so before driving off with it, just feels better when you start moving. thining of putting in a K&N filter or air flow system. anybody else try this with success?

i don't know why consumer reports or edmund's slam this truck all the time. edmund's at least admitted, it seems, to having some bias against the s10. seems to me like they should be objective, it is their job.

and frankly the s10 was about $2000 cheaper than a comparable ranger at the time i bought.
  • joe107joe107 Member Posts: 8
    I've had my 99 S-10 for about 6 months now, put 6855 miles on it since I t6ook delivery and so far I love it. It's a 2WD, short Bed, LS, 4cyl. and it's great for my daily back/forth to work, running around driving. Don't use it as a hauler.

Made one trip from northern Ohio to the Indy 500 this year and ran about 65 - 70 mph and really enjoyed the trip.

I use my 2000 Impala for the family 'stuff"
  • ggosselinggosselin Member Posts: 22
    Have a '97 S-10 SS reg bed w/ ZQ8 and L35 V6, and have some pain in the [non-permissible content removed] problems with it, but overall, I love the truck! Other than the transmission pan falling off while doing 80 on the interstate and coasting to a stop wondering what the hell's going on, have not had many problems out of the truck. GM replaced trans under warranty, but let me tell you, I found out what a 4L60E goes for from a dealer- $3200!!!!
    I just love the looks of the truck, that is the reason I got it to start with, it was different, and GM only made a handfull of them. I am not one to knock Chevy vehicles, but the new S-10 Extreme just aint the same thing as the SS was. Don't get me wrong, I love the way that they look, but you can get one of them with a 4cyl and a 5spd- doesn't exactlly live up to that truck's good looks. My SS handles better than any other truck I've driven and will outperform quite a few "performance" vehicles that I've come across. Just had to put new tires on it and went with Pirelli VP8000's, probably the best riding performance tires- not too firm, not too soft either- only thing was the price- $160 each.
    With a K&N air filter and a cat-back system from SLP, the truck gets 19.5 in the city and a good 25 on the highway.
    I would strongly suggest one accessory for all that own S-10's without a rear step bumper- a class III trailer hitch. I speak from experience... I got rear-ended by some bimbo putting on her makeup while driving. It did some damage, bent the roll pan, and bent tailgate, but bed was undamaged due to the hitch being in the way. This is not the type of hitch that looks like a piece of pipe that has been bolted to the bumber, it is completely concealed by the roll pan, and only the receiver is visible beneath the bumper. It is a Draw-Tite hitch, most U-Haul places will have it- #14156- A $130 investment that literally saved my [non-permissible content removed].
  • burnts10burnts10 Member Posts: 2
    My s10 burnt up.

It had a recall for the wiring harness.

I brought it into be fixed.

it still burnt, any other fires?

1998 s10 ls 4cly 5 speed
  • burnts10burnts10 Member Posts: 2
    My S10, before the fire

would spin out in damp weather and on heavy graded hills.

When i had some weight in the back it was less severe.

Also my truck had battery / electrical problems when i first got it.
  • vwflubbervwflubber Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 s-10. I put a 2 inch body lift and 30 inch bfg all terrains on it. I have not yet to spin it. When I had my tiger paws on I spun it twice. I have taken it to pismo beach and many other off road places. I has done pretty good for a 4 cycl.
This discussion has been closed.