Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• fdfrtht09fdfrtht09 Member Posts: 2
    Been driving my Titanium Silver Metallic- Black leather 128i convertible since Thanksgiving. I couldnt love a car any more than I love this car.Yes there is more than enough room in the front and in the rear for a passenger. The styling is terrific and it simply is great to drive (especially with the top down). Yes the cup holders need to be re done but everything else is terrific.. What a car. Its awesome. Ive had no trouble with power and the car is a looker. Ive had so many people ask me ablout it. Funny thing is, like some of the other people who wrote in, there arent to many of these on the road...so many people are missing out...love my 128i.
  • PaulBDPaulBD Member Posts: 4
    Good for you. Since my wife and I share the same BMW, we have to "compromise" a bit and live with a step 135i instead of a manual. Having been driving a 5 series (530i), 328i and two Z4s since 2003, my love for bimmers only grows with this 1 series beast. Some may think the 1 series too small ( I did myself), but once I test drove one I liked it better than its other bigger siblings.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The One series, for some reason, just looks "right" in convertible form - much more so than the 3 series retractible hardtop. I had been trying for months to decide which looks better -- the 3 coupe or the 1 coupe. Couldn't decide. Finally came to the conclusion they both look good, just in different ways. You can't view them as sibbling-models. You have to view them as completely different models, with separate styling themes.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    In my opinion, as far as looks go, I think the 3 series coupe Blows away the 1 series coupe. I think the 335i Coupe with Sports Package is one of the best looking cars on the road today (Under $100K). It is muscular & sexy all rolled into one (no pun intended).

The 135i is a very cool car, don't get me wrong. It just isn't as pretty. I don't like how the bottom of the door curves downward (the darker colors mask this somewhat), the headlights almost look too big for such a small car, & the rear end looks like an afterthought.

Now as a convertible, I don't like the way the 3 series hardtop convertible looks when up. The lines distract from the coupe design. I like the way the 1 series convertible look better. It is much simpler.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Yeah, I don't care much either for the slight pot-belly look of the One, but from certain angles the 3 Coupe can also look fairly bulbous, due to the high belt-line, and low stance. Maybe my wife said it best --- the One is not so much sleek or pretty, but funky-looking, a Mini Cooper S kind of funky. And I do like the tighter exterior dimensions, and the fact that you sit higher in the One, making it easier to bomb around in traffic!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I agree NYC.

I think the 1 looks OK overall (and actually nice from rear angles), but from the front and sides, I think it looks kind of like a bathtub with ugly headlights.

Yes, I think the 3 coupe is maybe the best looking car in BMW's lineup right now.
    Price-wise, a 135 would be more comparable to a 328. Which would you choose? 135 or 328, let's say both with Sport Package? The 328 would have the sleek bod, but the 135 is a beast.
    I'd choose the WRX ;)

Between the BMW's though, I'd choose the 135i. I think it's the best performance car BMW builds.
    "....I'd choose the 135i."

Somewhat surprising choice, given that you thought it looks like a bathtub with ugly headlights! :P
    It does, but I'll always choose performance over appearance - and 300hp is hard to turn away from.
    I hear that hp rating is actually under-rated! And I never thought it looked really all that bad. It's not sleek, but when I see one coming down the road, my first impression certainly wouldn't be that it's an ugly car.
    Consider a CPO 335i vs. a new 135i.

Personally I like the E90 Sedans & think they are very handsome

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    I hear that hp rating is actually under-rated.

BMW typically underrates the HP of their cars. MY 528 is rated @ 194hp, feels like it has around 220.

I'm fine with the appearance of the Oners. They aren't beautiful but have a cheeky, sporty look IMO. The convertible is the best looking, as nice top down as the 3 series cabrio and better with the top up since the 3er cab's top looks odd from some angles.

Oner Coupes look good in Black.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

With a Red Leather Interior...very cool

• gardencar1gardencar1 Member Posts: 8
    I agree with you about looks vs. HP. I originally thought the 335i convertible was the better looker, but ended up buying the 135i cabrio for the performance. Although both share the same engine, the 135i's dimensions make it faster and more agile.

Looks wise, I now prefer the 1's looks over the 3's. Although the 3 coupe is sleeker and more elegant, the 1 just looks sportier and more muscular. The 135i definitely looks better than the 335i in the convertible, top up or down, IMO.
    No comparison with the convertibles. I would never choose an overweight, complex, metal-hinged contraption when I could have a simple cloth top. A manual one like the Miata's is ideal - keep it simple.
    "I would never choose an overweight, complex, metal-hinged contraption when I could have a simple cloth top."

You might, if you lived in a rain-forest like the Pacific Northwest!
    What are you talking about? The weather is beautiful up here ;) (and my Miata top never leaked a drop).
    Oh, are you in the Seattle area? I didn't realize that. :blush: Well, we get even more rain here in Vancouver! I figure if the top is going to be up for most of of the time in 8 months out of the year, I may as well get the security of a retractible hardtop. And I'm not sure I would like the rain-drop-on-tent sound effect all that time!
    Yeah, you've got a point there. I forgot about that sound, although it never bothered me. I've never driven in one, but aren't those thickly padded and lined tops like on a Mercedes or Audi supposed to be very quiet?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Well, we get even more rain here in Vancouver!

Well, it depends.

When I lived in Richmond (where the airport is, for those who aren't familiar with Vancouver geography), the average annual rainfall was a fraction (a third or less) of the averages for the North Shore, where I also lived for a couple of years.

They grow hay in Sequim, in the rain shadow of the Cascades, while it pours not far away.

All of it is better than the desert.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I've never had the privilege to drive one of those either, but I sure do remember the sound the rain made on the soft top of the Fiat that my friend had in high school. (Although with that Fiat my friend would have been ecstatic if he only heard the water on the roof every time it rained, if you know what I mean! ):P
    "All of it is better than the desert."

So then I wonder why do so many Canadians retire to Arizona. :confuse: Must be for the year-round golfing, since it can't be for the hockey!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Well, I'm not retired, but my wife is from here & the aerospace company where I've worked for 29+ years is here, so I'm here too, sadly.:cry:

Think of me the next time you go through Active Pass and watch bald eagles fishing for salmon. I used to do that, in my sailboat.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • sonic2000sonic2000 Member Posts: 11
    Can somebody recommend where to buy this kind of parts?
    Like Thule TH460R. RB43. 3028, which bike carrier is better, etc.
    Thanks.
    I've got the Thule racks on my '01 Prelude and love 'em. They are super sturdy and once you figure out how to put them on, it is a quick and easy 5 minute hob to take on and off.

• runningdocrunningdoc Member Posts: 32
    So a question for you owners of the 128i series. I am looking at purchasing one, and trying to get feedback from previous owners. In particular, I'd like your thoughts of the pros and cons of the car in your opinion... I'd appreciate any input or experience of current owners!

Thanks!
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    I would identify the 128i as my choice were I able to buy a new car at this time. I live in the Northeast and travel on interstates frequently as well as the usual local driving. Despite effort I have only seen one 1 series BMW in the two years since they arrived. I'm beginning to think that the car is a hoax like the moon landing. Where are they selling and showing?
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    Has anyone had a chance to compare the M-Sport to the standard suspension (with performance tires, not the available all-seasons which presumably bring a lower speed limiter with them) on the 135i? I assume both suspensions are the same and that the M-Sport is differentiated only by the use of the staggered tire set up.

The 1 series is reported to understeer more than the 3. If my assumption about setup is correct, does the standard car give more neutral (less understeer) handling than the M-Sport?
  • mr42hhmr42hh Member Posts: 9
    The 135i isn't available with standard suspension. Only M-Sport.

Do they really make them available with all season tires in America? Does anybody want all seasons, ever, at all?
    Does anybody want all seasons, ever, at all?

Yep, the only way to get decent tread mileage is with all-seasons, I find that I can't get much more than 15,000 miles on sticky-tread summer performance tires. There are plenty of performance rated A/S tires that'll deliver twice that mileage on a rwd car.

Understood -- but I wondered whether the staggered wheel set up on the cars with the the M-Sport option affects the understeer/oversteer equation when compared with the standard setup.
    Reading the specs, both packages (Sport and M Sport) have the same suspension and staggered setup. The difference, besides some trim, appears to be "performance tires" in the Sport Package vs. "mixed performance tires" in the M Sport Package.

So, what are "mixed performance tires?" Beats me.

As for understeer/oversteer. Lots of factors play into the understeer equation. On the 135i, the staggered sized wheels as well as more weight over the nose makes it more likely to push. No doubt, BMW designed the suspension to compensate (roll bar thickness, spring rates, rebound dampening, etc.) to make the 135i handle the way they want it to.

On the 128i, certainly a lighter nose and 4 identical tires all around make for less tendency to understeer - and the all-seasons have less grip than "performance" tires, which affects handling balance too.

Personally, I think the 128i with standard suspension is the most neutral and entertaining to drive. More than enough power to light up the tires, and less grip means it's easier to get the car sideways.
    You're right. Thanks for your attention to detail.
    So, what are "mixed performance tires?" Beats me

They probably mean performance rated all seasons. Tirerack lists several categories of these>

Ultra High Performance All-Season
    You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) and are willing to trade some dry and wet traction and handling to get it.

High Performance All-Season
    You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) to drive your sports coupe or sedan in all weather conditions.

Performance All-Season
    You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) with a mixture of performance and appearance at a reasonable price.

• davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    I think what they mean by "mixed" is different tire sizes front and rear. Rear should be wider like 245 vs. 225 for front.
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    Love to get a 128i but am holding out for when BMW brings in the four cylinder diesels in a few years. Should be a great car with great mileage!
  • fdfrtht09fdfrtht09 Member Posts: 2
    I live in NJ...bought 128i convertible (loaded)...had a few minor problems dealer fixed no problem...but I have to tell you....I LOVE IT....bought car day after thanksgiving 2008 and have had it approx 1 year to date...simply awesome.... peppy, rides great, turns on a dime, hugs the road like a bmw, gas mileage 21-25 consistantly, but most of all.. love it with the top down and the comments people always make.
    Standard Stereo pretty good also. All together....nice car for the deal I got....and believe me I tested them all and did my homework.
    cs
  • deedee6104deedee6104 Member Posts: 1
    Love the 128i but concerned about not having all wheel drive or at least front wheel drive for snow would i be better off with the 328i? I hate to give up the size etc of the 128i.
    buy yourself a set of 4 dedicated winter rims & tires and you will not have any problem

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    What nyccarguy said; four dedicated winter tires and you'll be good to go.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Yeah, but snow tires will only take you so far (usually half-way up the sidewalk :P ;) ), At some point laws of physics with RWD will kick in. I've seen plenty of 3 series with snow tires going down a snow-covered street at 45 degree angle!
    The fact is you can get stuck in snow with AWD or even 4WD and snow tires if conditions are bad enough but I made it thru three NH winters driving all-over to sales calls in a RWD 528i wearing Blizzaks.

Wear good snows, carry a tow strap and tow hook and don't drive when it's really bad, wait for them to plow, you'll be fine. :shades:

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    At some point laws of physics with RWD will kick in. I've seen plenty of 3 series with snow tires going down a snow-covered street at 45 degree angle!

I suspect that's just incompetence on the part of the driver. I've run winter rubber on an E36 3er and E39 5er and had absolutely NO problems in snow. They both handled the nasty stuff 100% better than my miserable Mazdaspeed 3.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

you've got to take your time & cannot go tearing through the white stuff. With RWD & 4 snows, the stability control & electronic nannies do all the work.

My wife has an '07 X3. Now I've driven her truck in the snow with the all season tires it comes with. In an empty parking lot once, I shut off the dtc (dynamic traction control) and mashed the gas pedal - the truck spun all 4 tires & couldn't get out of its own way. With the DTC switched back on, I mashed the gas and the x3 gingerly took off.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    My wife drove RWD 3-series for five years.... shod with winter tires..

She got the X3 about a year ago... First snow, she comes in and says she was sliding coming down to a stop on a downhill slope. "How come I have AWD, and it doesn't stop as well as my 330i convertible?"

While I could drive her X3 through heavier snow and worse conditions than her 3-series could handle (ground clearance counts for a lot), the RWD convertible with winter tires was/is safer and better handling in slick conditions..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

"I suspect that's just incompetence on the part of the driver"

I'm not so sure that's the whole story....maybe you're just blessed with superior skills that mere mortals only dream about.

Let's put it this way, all else being equal (tires, road condition, etc), in adverse conditions, I'll put my money on a FWD or AWD over a RWD any day.
    all else being equal (tires, road condition, etc), in adverse conditions, I'll put my money on a FWD or AWD over a RWD any day.

The trick is not to have "all else" be equal but to equip yourself with the best tires and traction control. I've been in conditions with AWD and the wrong tires where I'd have been better off with RWD and snows.

Yeah, but I'd be even better off with AWD and snows. ;)
    I'd be even better off with AWD and snows.

No argument there, but it only snows 10 or 15% of the time. I much prefer RWD when it's not snowing and I have owned AWD, RWD and FWD while living in the
    snow belt.