Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,673
    What nyccarguy said; four dedicated winter tires and you'll be good to go.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Yeah, but snow tires will only take you so far (usually half-way up the sidewalk :P ;) ), At some point laws of physics with RWD will kick in. I've seen plenty of 3 series with snow tires going down a snow-covered street at 45 degree angle!
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,685
    The fact is you can get stuck in snow with AWD or even 4WD and snow tires if conditions are bad enough but I made it thru three NH winters driving all-over to sales calls in a RWD 528i wearing Blizzaks.

Wear good snows, carry a tow strap and tow hook and don't drive when it's really bad, wait for them to plow, you'll be fine. :shades:

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

At some point laws of physics with RWD will kick in. I've seen plenty of 3 series with snow tires going down a snow-covered street at 45 degree angle!

I suspect that's just incompetence on the part of the driver. I've run winter rubber on an E36 3er and E39 5er and had absolutely NO problems in snow. They both handled the nasty stuff 100% better than my miserable Mazdaspeed 3.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,770
    you've got to take your time & cannot go tearing through the white stuff. With RWD & 4 snows, the stability control & electronic nannies do all the work.

My wife has an '07 X3. Now I've driven her truck in the snow with the all season tires it comes with. In an empty parking lot once, I shut off the dtc (dynamic traction control) and mashed the gas pedal - the truck spun all 4 tires & couldn't get out of its own way. With the DTC switched back on, I mashed the gas and the x3 gingerly took off.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,827
    My wife drove RWD 3-series for five years.... shod with winter tires..

She got the X3 about a year ago... First snow, she comes in and says she was sliding coming down to a stop on a downhill slope. "How come I have AWD, and it doesn't stop as well as my 330i convertible?"

While I could drive her X3 through heavier snow and worse conditions than her 3-series could handle (ground clearance counts for a lot), the RWD convertible with winter tires was/is safer and better handling in slick conditions..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

"I suspect that's just incompetence on the part of the driver"

I'm not so sure that's the whole story....maybe you're just blessed with superior skills that mere mortals only dream about.

Let's put it this way, all else being equal (tires, road condition, etc), in adverse conditions, I'll put my money on a FWD or AWD over a RWD any day.
    all else being equal (tires, road condition, etc), in adverse conditions, I'll put my money on a FWD or AWD over a RWD any day.

The trick is not to have "all else" be equal but to equip yourself with the best tires and traction control. I've been in conditions with AWD and the wrong tires where I'd have been better off with RWD and snows.

Yeah, but I'd be even better off with AWD and snows. ;)
    I'd be even better off with AWD and snows.

No argument there, but it only snows 10 or 15% of the time. I much prefer RWD when it's not snowing and I have owned AWD, RWD and FWD while living in the
    snow belt.

I'm not so sure that's the whole story....maybe you're just blessed with superior skills that mere mortals only dream about.

Well, now that you mention it...

Yup, you're right. That's why I've concluded that I shouldn't deprive myself of the possiblity of owning a 1-series just because there is no AWD option. Even if I'm too lazy to switch to snows, I can always rent for the 10% of the time when there is snow on the ground, or if I go skiing. And being in the city, it also wouldn't kill me to take transit once in awhile!
  • I had been cautioned a month or so ago about the 'harshness' of run flat tires. The warning came from a NJ doctor. Yet, I see no concern or criticisms on the BMW forums. Your opinion will be appreciated. Bill H
    RFTs bother some people, but in my case it's never been a deal breaker. I'd suggest taking several cars on an extended test drive and see if you find them objectionable. Remember you can always buy a BMW M Mobility kit or similar and switch to conventional tires- which is what I would do when the RFTs wore out.

Plenty of discussion about runflats... Just not under the 1-series...

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

2500 messages in that discussion..

• Is there any hint of what changes we might expect in the 2011?
  • joannezjoannez Posts: 1
    I tried to get a 2010 128i but none left. I ordered a 2011 and take delivery in June. I'll let you know.
  • Were you able to learn what changes will take place in the 11. How about pricing on the 11. Any info will be appreciated. Bill H.
  • potemkinpotemkin Posts: 196
    edited April 2010
    The only changes I'm aware of for 2011 are the engine on the 135i (going from a twin-turbo to a single turbo with a little better torque curve) and the 6 speed Steptronic automatic transmission is being replaced by a 7 speed dual clutch thingamabob (I've ordered mine with a 6 speed manual, so this last one is of no interest to me).

The real changes will take place in 2012 with a whole new chassis. And rumor has it that a diesel will make it to the US along with a hardtop convertible, but those are just rumors and thus their veracity is in question.

Also, I think they've dropped one of the exterior paint choices. Again, not a big concern.
  • Do you recommend buying a used or certified 2008/09 1-Series? I see them going for approx. $22k to 29k with 30-50k miles.
  • crispmcrispm Posts: 2
    When are the 2013 model year BMWs due to arrive in the US?
    Specifically, I am interested in the 1-series convertible, if it makes a difference.

Also, are there any significant changes from the 2012 to 2013 1-series models?

Thanks
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,289
    Thanks for actually participating in this board. That makes one post in six months -- oh, wait, my post will make 2.

Either the 1 is dead or no one who visits Edmunds cares much about them.

Let's see who joins in with the answer to your question.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Looks like this fall. Here's the IL article:
    2013 BMW 135is Priced From $44,145

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• rabadashrabadash Posts: 11
    edited March 2013
    I'm entertaining the thought of purchasing a 135i. Would enjoy reading some driving and ownership impressions from both coupe and convertible owners.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,527
    I'm not sure how much response you'll get here vs a dedicated 1 owners forum.

In any case, I love mine. Bought an '08 about 14 months ago with 42k miles. I'm now at 55k. I autocrossed it once and I've done 4 track days and have my 5th-6th coming up in about a month.

I don't know if you are considering new or used, but on the used side, I have yet to come upon another car that offers comparable performance, comfort, and reliability for comparable money.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,689
    These are really nice vehicles but just wondering if the doors are a bit heavy? Coupes usually have heavier doors so that's why I don't look at them now as I have a bad spine and need light doors. I still like the small BMW's though and would love to own a cpo'd one some day. But isn't the upkeep a bit expensive? And they all use premium right? Bet insurance is higher also. Nice vehicles but pricey all the way around.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,527
    the turbo is definitely premium. I'm not sure on the 128i.

The doors are a bit on the heavy side, but my 6-year-old can reach out from his seat and close it, so probably not as bad as you think. They seem to have these detents where you can set the door as you open it. So, when pulling shut, you only need effort to get past the detent and then it just about closes itself.

Upkeep cost is relative, of course. With sportscar brakes and tires, yes, they cost more than those on a less capable car. Oil change? Yeah, as pricey as any BMW when using 7 qts of the required Castrol Syntec.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,689
    It's a nice dream of mine but who knows. the wife just lost a big account so it's great that I've found work until she can replace that large client. She's waiting till after tax season and will take a short break but then, she really needs to get out there and find something else. I didn't count on the middle kid going back to school just when I retired and we are helping her with the excess her loans don't cover and her rent so the wife has to work. She never ever would work full time, a sore subject, but I was required to plus all the overtime I got over the years which I was happy to do but now, she needs to pull half the cart as with my bad spine, not surre how much longer I'm gonna be able to continue. Luckily all is well now but if it goes out on me...we're gonna have a problem!

Right now, the new car has been put on indefinite hold and we'll just fix the a/c once it dies. We talked last night about trying to go to 200k which is very doable I suspect. She doesn't abuse it and I maintain it as best I can so now the plan is to wait till 2015 models come out and then purchase. Plan B has officially been put into place!

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

The NA engines use premium, as well...

• tncvoltncvol Posts: 3
    There was a person using the forum name cdpinhead who was very active on the Lincoln LS forum some years ago. Are you the same person?