Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Convertible

13»

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I got my hands on a Cooper S convertible. Too heavy and sluggish for my tastes. Bummer. Oh well, enjoy.
  • checkitoutcheckitout Member Posts: 15
    Try the JCW convertible.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Full Test: 2005 Mini Cooper and Cooper S Convertibles

When we got a pair of Mini Cooper convertibles, we were so struck by their cuteness we didn't know whether to hug or drive them first. We opted for the latter.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/?synpartner=edmunds&pageurl=www- .edmunds.com/insideline
  • gr8fuldavemdgr8fuldavemd Member Posts: 5
    My mini cooper s convertible just went from on order to sceduled for production. Does anyone know how long it usually takes from this point to actual delivery of the car? Thanks.

David
  • jombojombo Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 non S mini convertable on order...from an engineering (Not owner's manual) point of view can I tow my Mini without damage to the transmission..to wit, will the gears be lubricated properly with the engine off, transmission in neutral? Thanks for the answer.
  • minimadminimad Member Posts: 3
    I am hoping to buy a cooper (maybe S) convertible in Memphis, TN. I built one online and it will take 6-8 wks to come in, so I thought I'd try finding one really close to the one I wanted already in stock somewhere (impatient). SO...I called Roadshow Mini and the dealer voluntarily told me the price I got on the Internet was the price I'd pay, they don't do any "dealing" or whatever. I was wondering how true that actually is! Do they EVER come off of that price or not charge anything extra for installations? I just kindof thought that was a little odd for him to tell me that without me even mentioning the price.
    Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. I have waited since 2002 for these things to come out, and now I can't wait to get one!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I have seen numerous Mini's being towed behind or better yet tucked inside of some motorcoaches/motorhomes. I haven't seen use of any oiler connections just a tow bar, so I think you'd be safe in towing your Mini behind a coach with manual tranny in neutral.

Ray T.
  • crunchcrunch Member Posts: 84
    minimad,
    Honestly, I have never heard of anyone getting a MINI below msrp. Many west coast dealers charge over msrp, even for a car that is ordered. Some dealers will 'throw in' an item or two like floor mats etc. Since the MINI is still in high demand, there is no incentive for discounts. Sorry. :(
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Welcome to the Forums, minimad! You might want to stop by the MINI Cooper: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion to find out what others have paid.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• popsracerpopsracer Member Posts: 2
    Well minimad I guess I'm a bit lucky, I hear that some of my brothers and sisters of the Mini variety are waiting 10 months to a year for their Cooper. I couldn't imagine! I'm told that my cabrio S should arrive 2 and a half months from the time I placed my order. Wish I could say, as for waiting for the car, that the last two weeks were the worst, but I've got three left!, It should arrive just in time for San Franciscos late summer. I was also able to talk my dealer down on the price above MSRP. So instead of the $2500 dealer fee, it was only $2300.That should pay for my ipod adapter. They also threw in the factory rubber mats. Almost overwhelmed by their generosity. I'm so anxious , cant wait to get behind the wheel. Did you know that jet black is being discontinued? Better get youre orders in. See ya on the autobahn, give a wave.
    Racer X
  • rdelar01rdelar01 Member Posts: 4
    I placed an order for my Cool Blue MC on Sunday 7/17. No packages with only the MF steering wheel as an extra. I paid MSRP + Tax & Tag. I was told to expect delivery by 9/30. What are the chances that I can expect it sooner?
    rdelar01, you might want to check with the folks in the MINI Cooper: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion to see what wait times they're getting.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    Here is my experience from order to delivery of my 05 MCS convertible:
    3/17 Dealer got 5 allocations, mine went in. "On Order"
    4/12 Status changes to "Scheduled for Production"
    5/2 Status changes to "In Production"
    5/10 My car is born (start actual production)
    5/13 Car is built and is on its way to Southampton (same day arrival at dock)
    5/19 Car is loaded onto ship. Ship leaves England.
    5/27 Car arrives at Port Elisabeth, NJ
    5/28 Car delivered to dealer in Mahwah, NJ
    5/31 I pick up at dealer (day after Thanksgiving)

This is my second MINI. My first I ordered in 2003 and that took 5 months.
  • myminicmyminic Member Posts: 2
    I guess I'm one of the lucky owners of a MiniConvert.S that paid below MSRP through a private party via.E-Bay. 180 miles unlicensed never driven or registered. One of my better deals in my lifetime.
  • stevegti8stevegti8 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any info on Prestige MINI in New Jersey? How are they as a dealership? I'm wondering if it's worth the hour drive from my house. Thanks guys.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    Question is, do you have a choice? Where else can you go?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    You can go to Morristown or Princeton BMW-Mini
  • mini_mikemini_mike Member Posts: 1
    I'm sorry Racer X, but I was really floored by you having to pay $2300 in "dealer fees". Head on up to Tacoma, WA and only pay $395 over MSRP for a hard-top and $595 over for a convertible. I just ordered my convertible a few days ago and the price was MSRP + $595 dealer fees + $35 document fee.

Mike
    Seattle, WA
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    I thought the Princeton one is what he's talking about? Are there 2 in Princeton?

There's a Morristown Mini? I had no idea. I thought Princeton was the only dealer in the state ... of course, that was when Mini was first re-introduced, so I guess they could have added dealers since then.

Edit: my mistake, i see that there are now 3 dealers in NJ.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• rdelar01rdelar01 Member Posts: 4
    Is the MCC Prewired for a CD Changer?
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    As far as I know there are 3 dealers in NJ Morristown, Princeton and Ramsey.
  • minieverminiever Member Posts: 1
    I paid exactly what I was quoted on the internet. In fact, the dealer I bought my MC C from used the website to build the car and quote me a price. She didn't go down at all but we got her to throw in free floormats.

Good luck!! :)
  • amixamamixam Member Posts: 17
    I'm looking at an '06 Mini Cooper Convertible, Auto, w/the premium package. The price I was quoted is 24900, and the lease payment I was quoted was $438/month for 42 mos. or 417 for 48 mos, using 10K/mi per year>

Im curious if you are leasing if this sounds high/low/about right in terms of payment? I realize these things sell at list, so I know I won't get a price break. Thanks!
    Hi, amixam,

Have you asked the folks in the MINI Cooper: Lease Questions discussion? The members there are likely to have plenty of feedback for you.

• amixamamixam Member Posts: 17
    will do thanks!
  • h219h219 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the East Bay and am strongly considering a MiniCooper S Convertible. Would appreciate your thoughts on a good dealer. Have both CONCORD and PLEASANTON. Anyone have purchased cars at either one? Anything to watch out for? :D
  • tjg1502tjg1502 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Mini S Conv. I want to flat tow it behind my motorhome. Has anyone done this? Are any mods necessary?
  • cmoorreescmoorrees Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently outfitting my 2005 mini cooper with a "Blue Ox" base plate and tow bar. The Blue Ox has a removable tab style base plate minimizing the impact on your front grill. Check out Blue Ox base plates and you will see a picture of a mini cooper with one installed.
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    I just recently purchased a 2006 MCS-Conv. I would like to install fog lights, preferably after-market( ones made by PIAA). I would like to know if anyone in the Maryland area has had these lights installed, and by whom. I do not want to go thru dealership, because they are charging an arm and a leg for this installation. Prefereably an accesories installer who is reliable and experienced.
  • jehall2jehall2 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting ready to equip my mini with a blue ox base plate and tow bar. Can't decide the best way to handle the lighting hook-up. Diode isolators? Additional bulb/sockets in the rear lamps? Separate light bar? (haven't found anything that will attach to the vertical rear of the mini) How are you doing your lighting?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter aims to speak with anyone who has owned a vehicle and found its controls to be complicated. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Monday, July 17, 2006, and be sure to include your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • rojakrkirojakrki Member Posts: 1
    Was there an answer on the "Flat tow" option? Would like to tow my 06 Convertible behind a 42 ft pusher? any help?
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    I'd call mini about this--I don't think this is going to be recommended. Mini recommends that Cooper's are transported on flatbeds, I doubt flat towing is going to be recommended, but I could be wrong.
  • fred914fred914 Member Posts: 1
    There is definitely a Morristown Mini. I was in there last night and bought a Cooper S Convertible right off the floor.
    It was the only one they had available....we drove it and liked it. I got itchy and didn't want to build one and wait for 6 - 8 weeks for delivery. The young salesman Dave, was one of the most knowledgeable salesmen I have ever dealt with in a dealership. First time in my life that someone knew more than me about a particular car.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to talk with current owners of the Mini Cooper. Please send your daytime contact info and the model year of your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 27, 2006.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • kelleyjkelleyj Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 mini convertible s sidewalk edition. This is my first mini and I'm wondering if what I experience with the gears is normal. It's a standard, and sometimes getting it into reverse is next to impossible. also going into first is tough.
  • scorpionctscorpionct Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2006 Mini with a 6 speed manual transmission. I also want to use a Blue Ox to tow it behind my roadtrek. I am looking for confirmation that others have done this with no problems or damage to the transmission or engine.
  • scorpionctscorpionct Member Posts: 2
    Which method did you use? I have a 2006 Mini and am leaning to using the additional bulb so that I do not tie into the existing lighting system.
  • maddiesonmaddieson Member Posts: 2
    I guess you just have to add if you really want it.
  • meganalainmeganalain Member Posts: 1
    I'm wanting to buy a 2004 - 2006 model Mini Cooper S Convertible.
    Has anyone experienced problems with the mechanics of the convertible top?
    Do you like / use the sunroof feature?
    Any leaks?
    Is there anything I need to watch out for?
    :confuse:
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    My wife has an 05 convertible, and she has had zero issues with the top.

Believe me, she has cycled the top 1000's of times with no issues, and she absolutely loves the sunroof feature, which can be used while the car is in motion.

The top integrity is as good today as it was when she bought the car new.