Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• gmasterjgmasterj Member Posts: 3
    It seems like everybody is going through the same phase!! I'm thinking about buying a '94 Blazer Tahoe LT(Fully Loaded) It has 127,000 miles on it but it looks great, im afraid to buy because i been hearing too many trasmission probs and it seems like that's high moleage! I would preciate if i could get an opinion ASAP because i'm looking to buy next week between Sept.18-23. Any help is appreciated you can email me at: gmasterj79@aol.com
    I forgot to mention they wanted $$4995 for the Blazer
    4.3L V-6 Vortec, Towing package, leather seats, keyless entry, roof rack, alloys, the whole 9!
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Member Posts: 172
    my temp gauge doesnt work right...just registers occasionally..and i am concerned..i dont wanna have it overheat and have me not know til its shot. i have a 1993 s-10 2wd with a five speed and 2.8 v-6. i have asked people about it and no one seems to be able to pin it down. the actual gauge on the dash is in working order, so i know it is a wire or a sending unit. there are two sending units which look almost identical. one is on top under the air filter housing and has two wires coming from it. i unplugged it as part of a "trial and error" and started the truck and it idled very rough. the other unit is on the right side under the valves. i changed this, as i thought it was the problem. it apparently wasnt, as the gauge still registers when it wants to. i am confused and dont wanna end up spending bug bucks to have it done professionally or replacing the engine due to an overheat. any ideas??
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    A broken wire or a loose contact. A general pain either way.
    well i figured it was a contact problem or a broken wire but i need to know which of those two sending units is in charge of sending the info to my temp guage. any ideas? i think it is the one on top with two wires coming from it.
  • tommctommc Member Posts: 66
    The sensor with two wires on top, should have a black and a white or yellow looking wires, is the temp sensor for the computer, the lower one on the head with a green wire is the gauge sensor. Best bet at this point might be to put on an aftermarket gauge. They are usually mechanical with a copper tube and sensing bulb that goes into the place where the factory sensor is.
    Had seven S10s now. The best of the breed is the 91 to 93 with the v6 engines. The earlier ones are ok, but tend to rust and aren't generally as well equiped or comfortable. The later S10s, in my opinion, have serious build quality problems. Had a 96 and 97 and really quite surprised, or shocked at the problems with them. I now have a 93 with the Vortec 4.3 V6 that gets 25 mpg with all the power I would want. Had a 91 with 145,000 miles on it, 2.8 V6 five speed, that ran, drove, and looked pretty much as new. Very impressed with the earlier trucks, disappointed with the newer ones.
  • swmichiganswmichigan Member Posts: 1
    First, let me say that my post does not cover any problems regarding the Chevy S-10...just praises. I am the owner of a 1994 Chevy S-10 (standard short bed) pickup with a 5-speed transmission. I bought it two years ago, and it now has 43,000 miles. I average 28 miles per gallon. Last week I had new brakes/rotors and a new exhaust put on (the pipe ahead of the muffler rusted through. Being the pipe is welded to the muffler, I had to have both replaced). Grand total = $500.00. Other than the seemingly normal wear and tear, I've had no problems. It has the standard 2.2L engine, which doesn't have a tremendous amount of power, but I'm still happy with this truck. I know my two cents doesn't mean much to the people posting their problems, but I just wanted others to know that not all S-10's are problematic. I have a great little truck.
  • djrobinsondjrobinson Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1998 Chevy S10 (4 cyl; automatic; AC)and I have a problem with heat from the engine compartment entering the vehicle. With the climate control in the "off" position, hot air, in lieu of outside fresh air, enters the vehicle at the accelerator (gets hot and is quite uncomfortable to the foot). With the controls in the "vent" position, the hot air blows in my face. The dealership says this is normal for the S10 and there is nothing they can do to correct this situation. If this is a factory defect, is there something that can be done to fix the problem? Please advise.
  • mr5by5mr5by5 Member Posts: 11
    Sorry for interrupting this conversation, but since there seem to be some of you here who are having various problems with your S-10's, I wanted to throw this message out where you can see it. I have been having a problem finding a place to post this write-up, I originally posted it on my Personal webpage at Geocities but apparently no Search Engines can see it there. Maybe some of you in this S-10 forum have had this problem and this post will help you out...

BTW: Our '94 4-cylinder Automatic S-10 2WD has had zero problems other than this one and the seat belt inertia locks that just quit working. With over 77K on it we still pull down over 27mpg, have had no traction problems in nasty winter driving with the Tiger Paws that now have over 80K on them (on another S-10) and still look pretty safe! Yeah, it rattles a little and rides rough - I bought a pick-up not a luxury sedan! For the under 10K price-tag 6 years ago this has been a very good vehicle...

THE WIPER PROBLEM

About the time the original 36,000 mile warrantee ran out on our ’94 S-10 Pick-up we started to have intermittent problems
    with the windshield wipers. They would either refuse to work or stop working, usually in warm weather or after the
    temperature warmed-up under the hood in colder weather.

I checked GM Safety recalls and found nothing and, eventually, inquired of my dealer’s service department on a couple
    different occasions to see if GM was aware of this problem and if they would offer to fix it - no such luck!

I knew the Wiper Motor Assembly would be an expensive part, so we limped along for the better part of 3 years with
    unreliable wipers on the truck. I found that I could wiggle the connector on the motor and get the wipers working again most of
    the time if I was willing to get out in the rain - for my wife and daughter, who also drive the S-10, I treated the windshield to a
    frequent coating of Rain-X. One of the first things I looked at when we bought our ’98 S-10 2 years ago was the wiper motor
    - it had the same configuration but a different part number which made me even more suspicious that the ’94 motor had some
    kind of design defect.

THE CAUSE

Just this past week I decided that I was going to resolve the problem with the ’94 once and for all. I removed the Wiper Motor
    Assemblies from both trucks and found that the ’98 Assembly worked fine on the ’94 but the ’94 Motor demonstrated the
    same problem on the ’98 - if I wiggled the harness plugged into the ’94 Motor it would work sometimes on either truck. I
    removed the cover on the ’94 Motor Assembly and found that the male connector body is molded-into the Motor Circuit
    Board Assembly - the only thing holding it to the Motor Assembly is the plastic cover attached by 3 Torx screws.

I couldn’t see anything obviously wrong so I set the thing aside and went to my local Advance Auto Parts store to see if I could
    buy a new Wiper Motor Assembly for a reasonable price. They listed a rebuilt Wiper Motor Assembly at $25.00 + $15.00
    core charge, which seemed pretty reasonable, but when the counterman brought the motor out and we opened it to make sure
    it was OK, I found that it did not include the Connector and Circuit Board Assembly! I was pretty sure the problem was in the
    Connector and Circuit Board so I told the counterman at Advance "No Thanks" and went home for a closer look. Before I left
    the store, though, I sneaked a peak at the computer terminal screen and noticed that they also listed a Delco Wiper Motor
    Assembly at $123.00! I didn’t feel so bad about the money I had spent on all that Rain-X over the past few years…

When I got home I sat down with the old ’94 Wiper Motor and removed the Connector and Circuit Board Assembly. Now,
    looking really close at the board in the area of the Connector, I could see that the solder was cracked around 4 of the 5
    connector pins where they were soldered to the Circuit Board pads - AHA!

I got out my trusty soldering iron (I’m a mechanic, not a sparky! I hate sniffing the smoke from burning solder flux and burning
    my fingers with the soldering iron. But I learned in soldering class that "a good mechanical joint makes a good solder joint" and
    it was pretty clear the Connector on that Motor board had neither!). I re-heated each of the five solder joints where the
    connector pins attached to the Circuit Board until the pins were hot enough to flow solder on the opposite side of each pin to
    the soldering iron, and ended-up with 5 nice, shiny, solder joints with no gaps or cracks around the pins. When I plugged the
    Motor in to the Harness it worked perfectly! I wiggled the Connector and it no longer seems to have any effect on the
    operation of the Motor! VIOLA! Two cents worth of electricity and a penny’s worth of solder seems to have done the trick!

My theory is that the soldering machine that assembled the Wiper Motor Circuit Board Assembly for the ’94 S-10 was not
    set-up properly to get a good solder joint on the heavy connector pins. It would take a lot more power to heat the heavy pins
    than the small electrical components on the Circuit Board and, because the connector pins did not get hot enough during the
    soldering operation, they ended-up with "cold" solder joints that cracked during the first 3 years of the truck’s life. The Motor
    Assemblies at Advance Auto Parts are cheap because GM Dealers have been replacing Motor Assemblies like hot-cakes with
    those $123 Delco parts, and Delco is wholesaling the Motors to the rebuilder for next-to-nothing. Unfortunately, the rebuilt
    Motor won’t fix your Wipers if you have the same problem I had, and you’ll be doing a lot of nasty, unnecessary work by
    removing and replacing the whole motor.

HERE’S WHAT TO DO

· DO NOT attempt to remove the whole Wiper Motor Assembly from your S-10! It is very difficult to remove the plastic cowl
    vent from the car to get at the nut that attaches the Motor shaft to the Wiper Arms and you do not need to do it.

· Remove the Connector from the Wiper Motor by lifting the latch on top of the Connector and gently pulling the connector out
    of the Wiper Motor to the left.

· Remove the three Torx screws that hold the black plastic cover on the Wiper Motor Assembly and pop the cover off.

· The only thing holding the Circuit Board and Connector Assembly in place now is the snug fit between the edges of the
    Circuit Board and the Motor Housing. You will see about 4 spots around the periphery of the board where they have provided
    a small notch for a screwdriver blade to pry the Circuit Board away from the motor. Pry gently at each spot until the Circuit
    Board pops out and carefully slide it down and forward away from the motor.

· Look carefully at the 5 spots where the Connector pins solder to the board - if you have "cold" solder joints there you may
    need to look real close to see the cracks in the solder around the pins or maybe even use a magnifying glass.

· Now sit down with a small soldering iron (mine has about a ¼-inch tip - you don’t want to use a Wood-burning tool and a
    tiny instrument soldering iron might not get the pins hot enough) and heat each pin ‘til you see the solder on the Circuit Board
    pad "sag" around the pin and the crack disappears. I added a little bit of solder to each joint for good measure - just don’t
    "bridge" the space between copper traces on the board or you’ll end-up with a short!

When you put it all back together you should have a more reliable Wiper system on your S-10. It takes a half-hour. costs
    almost nothing, and might even work on other GM cars with Wiper problems.

If it works for you send me an E-mail and let me know!
    My '95 has this exact problem and GM wouldn't repair it under the recall because my manufacture date was too early. The fix sounds simple enough. Yep, I do the wiggle the connector to get it working trick too.

Much thanks again for saving me the bucks.
  • wincemwincem Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 S-10 just this past June and have been totally happy so far. I've only had two complaints. One- The steering made a loud knocking noise when starting from a dead stop with the wheels totally turned (dealer changed bushings and fine now) and Two- the third door made really loud rattles going over even tiny bumps. I never really gave this too much of a thought seeing as how I knew about this problem before I bought the truck from reading this forum. However, today after washing my truck, I took the door panel off to see if it was something I could figure out. Well, it took me all of two minutes to fix the problem. There is a rod that runs from the door handle up to the top latch. This is the problem. All I had to do was unclip the black plastic clip holding the rod, and then move it up a couple notches, just enough to make it snug, without actually pulling on the rod. And Voila! Its all fixed. I figured you might all be interested about this since there used to be so many postings regarding this annoying rattle. Most of the posts said their dealers couldn't fix it either. Well, do it yourself. Takes five minutes tops, and didn't even get my hands dirty. I took it all over the place over large bumps and potholes too, and not a peep out of the door. (I'm so proud of myself!!) As for my overall feelings on the truck- I highly recommend getting one. Mine is a Victory Red, 2000 S-10 ext-cab 4.3, with the sport side bed and Z-Q8 suspension. I am always getting looks from people as I cruise down the street and get plenty of compliments. The engine has plenty of horsepower stock from the factory, and I haven't lost a race yet. One other hint for those of you concerned about gas mileage- I know it won't make that much of a difference, but a tonneau cover will help cut down on wind drag, thus helping your mpg. Its worth the little money they cost if you do alot of highway driving. Otherwise, leave the tailgate at home, it'll help too, unless you absolutely need it. If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me at cmjdjm@sympatico.ca Thanks for listening!
  • shelby12shelby12 Member Posts: 25
    Mine: a 91 S-10 4.3 V6 with 225,000 miles on it, and plenty of HP and compression left. Husband maintained from day one with reg oil changes, TLC, and lectures (to me) to treat it with respect. His: a 56 step side Apache with the small window - such a BEAST, but a real looker around town.
    I love my truck, have had some minor repairs, mostly maint, radiator, fuel pump, alternator etc.
    Biggest complaint is electrical (power windows, gauge quirks) but overall a GREAT truck. Bought new, and hubby always good about changing the oil, etc. Still has lots of giddyup. My truck has been there, done that, and will do it again. Is now a challenge to see how many miles I can go. Dog owns the ext cab...no third door back then!
  • antonio42antonio42 Member Posts: 1
    I have a standard cab with the long bed. This great truck has almost 130,000 miles on it and still runs great. I put larger tires on it. 235 75R 15 they give me good ground clearance and a great ride. I keep the oil changed and don't treat it mean. It should keep running several more years.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I have a 1999 Sonoma auto & ac.With the system turned off you still have air coming in at the floor and the temperature control will still control the temp.IN moderate cold I dont even turn the sys. on I just adjust the temp.control.I know your S10 has the same sys.I like it,if you lose a blower motor you could still have heat.Any ? just ask.
  • dangbwidangbwi Member Posts: 35
    Own a 1997 S-10 LS 4 cyl. 5 speed, with air, cruise and tilt. I have 46,000 mostly highway miles on it now, and it has been perfect. I average around 28 mpg all around and 30 plus mpg at 65 mph, with the cruise, on the highway. No complaints about the truck, it rides quiet and comfortable. I have never had the TigerPaw tires do anything to make me hate them. We have ice and snow covered roads for most of the winter in Northern Wisconsin and the tires have been fine for me.
  • dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    Any news if Chevy is going to offer their new 2.2L OHC 4cyl in the S10? It is now used by Saturn, but I hear it will be used in a lot of GM cars/trucks in the future. Info at http://www.gmpowertrain.com.

I'm looking to replace my old V6 Ranger with a new S10 or Ranger, probably a 4cyl for better fuel economy. A new 2.3L OHC engine will be available in the 2001 Ranger this winter, I wonder if Chevy will counter with their 2.2 OHC.

Thanks for any info.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I would wait to see how the new engine works out,GM has had bad luck with new engines.Look at the 2.3 & 2.4 OHC lots of trouble,still trouble. I believe in the kiss system,Keep It Simple Stupid,more parts more problems more trouble.
  • madmarkmadmark Member Posts: 1
    Transmission goes out at 58K. Power brakes, brake pads, battery, oil seal, differential seal, assorted plastics, seat lever, hanger hinge, and
    weather stripping all go out under warranty, along with three factory recals. Third year model -- What's up Chevy?

I had perfectly maintained this vehicle, having full maintainence records. The Chevy dealer offered no partial Goodwill credit on the transmission. GM Corporate did not even bother replying to my follow up letter. GM seems to have no professionalism, and seems not to care about
    maintaining customers whatsoever. It makes me depressed to say, but buy a Toyota and have some piece of mind :(
  • madridjoemadridjoe Member Posts: 28
    Anyone here know why GM has dropped the EPA mileage estimates on the 4.3, Auto, 4wd for 2001? The 2000 estimates were 16/21 and the 2001 estimates are 15/18, quite a difference. I have a 95 Sonoma that gets 18 around town and 22 on the highway. I'm about to order a 2001, but was surprised to see the new mileage figures. The salesman was no help, pretty sure I know more about the truck than he does.
    When you buy a new truck or car you'll get a questionaire after a few months. I suspect the feds get this info and adjust the mileage ratings according to the feedback they get. My 97 was rated at 30 highway, actually would get no more than 28 at absolute best. The next year the EPA rating was 28, maybe even less now. The ratings are usually pretty accurate and this continuous adjustment may be why.
  • dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    Yes, 15/18 MPG is pretty bad--might as well buy a Silverado. I guess you've got to get a 4cyl to get decent MPG these days. Ford will have a new 2.3L OHC 4cyl engine with about 140hp and 155 torque. I hope Chevy retaliates with a more-powerful OHC 4cyl.
  • sincitysincity Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a new pick-up (I currently have an Eclipse.) I have always had my eyes set on a Tacoma, but realized I could get more for my buck with a Chevy S10. I am looked today at the 2001 LS V6 Extended Cab series and got instant google eyes. However, I am slightly discouraged now by reading the responses. If I could get anything from someone who has purchased a 2001 S10 I would be appreciative :)
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    Have you though about the 2001 Ranger it has a new
    4.0 V6 207 HP engine,standard 4 doors on supercab along with standard 4 wheel abs.Nice truck I though about a 2000 ZR2 great rebates and 0% financing for 5 years up here in Boston,but I'm not a big fan of the Chevy
  • gmsjsbgmsjsb Member Posts: 8
    My friend's '87 Sonoma just turned 300,000 miles. 2.5L, 4speed manual. Used for work all it's life. Same friend owned an '84 Cavalier before that. 2.0L, 3speed auto. Traded it in at 170,000 miles. Still ran fine. My father had a Chevy Van 30 a few years back that had 240,000 miles on it. Another friend's 1500 pickup has 225,000 miles on it. Grandfather has an '84 Olds Custom Cruiser at 101,000 miles, even with woodgrain. 2 Delta 88's in the family went 140,000 miles. My '91 S-10 is young at 101,000 miles. Starts every morning without question. No significant problems with any of these vehicles. Exhaust, tires, shocks, belts, maybe a water pump, that's about it.

If you take care of a Chevy, it'll last forever... Be proud to own an American-made, American-company owned vehicle.

Jeff
    my 1993 s-10's driver side window refuses to co-operate. it will roll down smoothlt but balks and grinds and makes a "click" noise when i try to wind it back up. it does roll back up but not without great force applied to the handle. i tired squirting oil down into the track but it didnt work. someone told me that i would have to take the door apart and use white lithium grease. any ideas? if i do have to remove the door panel, how do i do it? thanks.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    Been there, done that....

albeit with a Cherokee and power windows.

First look at the door panel. The handle, and any other obvious fastners will have to come off. Then you should be able to "pop" the panel loose around the outside. Pick a corner and work in both directions, slowly and carefully. It pops out, it will pop back in.

The window mechanism uses some parts that are metal and some that are plastic/nylon. The latter wear out and must be replaced. For an electric opener this means buying a $300 motor because a $2.50 nylon wheel has worn down. Hopefully yours will be cheaper.

If you do not already own a Haynes manual for your vehicle I would strongly recommend it.

Good luck!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
    that makes the S10 look small.
  • vjanvjan Member Posts: 2
    it does look small to your full size,,what if you had the motor out of the full size and put it in the S10? i did. and put dual wheels on the back too. tell me how you put your pic on there and i will send you on of mine,,,,vince
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    Thats a 1st gen S10, the 2nd gen is bigger, and I'll bet you its 2wd and the Silverado is 4wd.
  • adamkiller47adamkiller47 Member Posts: 1
    What does everyone think of s-10's reliabilty? I currently have two s-10's. The first is a 1985 4x2 extended cab Tahoe. It has the 173 V-6 (carb. 2.8 liter), 700r-4 4spd auto tranny, and HD everything, from radiator, tranny coolers, to towing pkg. It has 270,000+ miles on it, with few problems. Radiator replaced w/ HD 3 wall radiator @ 235,000 miles, tranny rebuild @ 185,000 miles. Mind you, this truck has been beat up all it's life, overloaded, overused, down right abused. Everything that worked on the inside when it was new works just the same now. The point is, never once has the vehicle left me stranded, and it's still a great work truck today.
    However, the 98 s-10 4x4 LS ext. cab is a different story. 3.73 limited slip RE, all options, towing prep, etc... This truck is a joke. The seat handle breaks, door seals fail, 4x4 switch burns out, electrical problems, the list goes on and on. -- And, this truck has been treated like a baby (the 85 is the work truck), and has only about 15k year miles on it. Can GM no longer produce long lasting products, or are all car companies getting this cheap?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Your correct. 2wd S-10 prevortec. 4wd SIlverado 5.3. Big diference. It is alot bigger than the S-10.

Vince the 5.3 wouldnt fit in the S-10.

To put in pics

Ryan
  • the5carthe5car Member Posts: 26
    Hello....just found this place...I hope to add
    when I can, and learn from the rest of you...

I have a '97 S-10 LS SB, Metallic Beige in color,
    with the 2.2liter/5-speed manual package, alloys,
    A/C, but no fancy door locks or power windows/
    power mirrors, no rear slider window...a pretty
    bare-bones vehicle. It currently has 119,000
    miles on it, and the only thing that's been
    done to it is oil changes every 3-4000 miles,
    chassis lubes, new Bosch plugs, and a set
    of Cooper tires (the Uniroyals lasted 92K).
    I put 600 miles minimum per week on this truck,
    and it never quits. I cross over the Blue Ridge
    twice a day on my commute, and the motor could
    use a few more horses, but I can maintain 60mph
    in 4th gear going uphill. Eight bags of mulch
    in the bed gives me all the traction I need
    during the winter, 'cause if I can't get out
    of the driveway, I'm not going to work anyway.

I'm starting to hear a 'tink-tink-tink' sound
    coming from what sounds like the driveshaft...
    I'm hoping it's nothing more than a universal...
    of course, it had to happen when the weather
    starts turing colder...nothing like crawling
    around on a cold garage floor...

I drove it to Chicago last June...it averages
    around 27-28 mpg from day to day, and close
    to 30mpg on the highway...not bad...

I've seen some other posts from folks who've
    had bad luck with their trucks, and I think
    that's all it is...bad luck. Before I bought
    the Chevy, I had an '89 Mazda B2200 that I
    put 225,000 miles on, and never did anything
    to that one except oil, brakes, belts and hoses.
    And prior to that, I had a '74 Camaro that I
    put 175,000 miles on it's motor before having
    it and the tranny rebuilt, and then drove it
    around for another 100,000...I don't think that
    it's all in how you take care of things, but
    it can't hurt...

Thanks for listening...this place looks like fun.
    My 91 S-10 4.3 Ext. that has all the bells and whistles, and still runs great at 225,000. Probably selling soon since I just bought a new vehicle, but hate to see it go..was hoping to play a game of "how far can it go before it dies" but thinking it will take too long. Not sure how much I can sell for, blue books balk at high miles. People may balk at Chevy's now, but I have nothing but good to say about my truck. Even my dog would rather ride in it than in the new vehicle. Of course people say she IS a smart dog...
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    Mine is a 98 ext cab with 4 cyl, 5 speed, ac, am/fm/tape, white, with about 31,000 miles.

The average mpg is about 22-23. Replaced the water pump and engine seal under warranty. The passenger door cannot be locked from the inside, but can be locked from the outside with the key. Overall satisfaction is pretty good.
  • john2236john2236 Member Posts: 1
    I've got an 85 S-10 Blazer that just developed a problem with the interior lights. For some reason they are staying on after all the doors are closed and when the light knob is turned. Can anyone offer any advice on this situation?
  • expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    Just picked up a 2000 LS with 1300 miles on it for $10,000 (bought it from a guy that won it in a contest) and what a dream. It has everything I would want in a small pickup. Right now 25 mph with the 4 cyl, 5sp. Sliding rear window, cd, bedliner, carpets, etc. It drives like a truck, but is very comfortable. I have owned Chevys in the past and with the new Vortex 4 I hope to get trouble-free service like my others. I read all the posts here and hope that these are just flukes or sour grapes by other small truck owners. I have crawled over and under my rig and have not noticed one thing except for a poor hood fit. Maybe during my 3/36 I will get it adjusted. The other S10 owners that I know raved about them. Getting 200K+ without any problems. I will keep checking in at this forum for news or to report any problems.
  • carbillcarbill Member Posts: 4
    I posted this as a separate topic, but I figured some participants in THIS discussion might be able to shed some light on this.....

I just purchased a 2001 Chevy S-10 4x4. This is
    my first truck, and I was wondering about
    "off-roading" in it.

I took it on some muddy trails as soon as I got
    it, and someone "yelled" at me, stating that

1) the S-10 really shouldn't be taken off-road
    unless you really need to, because it's not a
    "true" 4x4, like a F150 or Sierra and

2) you should definitely stay on paved roads for
    the first couple of thousand miles, as going
    off-road immediately can damage the truck

Any thoughts?
    You can take it offroad. Plenty of people have taken their S-10s (ZR2 and 4x4) offroad. What were they driving???

Ryan
  • xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    I have one response to whoever yelled at you concerning taking you S10 off-road: "BITE ME!!!" Bigger does not necessarily mean better in the off-roading world. Just because it is not a 1/2 ton does not mean it should not be taken four wheeling. These compacts are amazingly capable out on the trail. In some situations, they are actually preferred because of their maneuverability and nimbleness. Don't take it off the road - give me a break. I applaud your decision to take it out and experiment with it. That's what these vehicles are for. And as far as waiting for a couple of thousand miles before taking it off-road, why wait? The four wheel drives systems need to exercised as well. In fact, it is a good idea to take your truck out on a dirt road at least once a month and put it in 4-HI and then in 4-LO to work the systems a little bit. My only precautionary advise to you would be this: If you are new to off-roading, gradually learn your truck's capability and your ability to drive it. Don't jump into it too aggressively because you'll get yourself into trouble. We wouldn't want to see you hurt or you new truck damaged. Enjoy yourself and happy trails. Let us know how it goes...
    My 91 S-10 has 226,000 miles on it and it still runs great...very minor mechanical issues...less than perfect electric windows (replaced both motors once, but still.... 226,000 miles. I had a Toyota once...people raved about Toyota being great. My Celica was yellow, definitely a lemon! Dumped it at less than 100K miles.
    Moral of the story? Nothing is predictable...
  • nochevyagainnochevyagain Member Posts: 2
    I'd like to see how many people have a '95 or '96 with that kind of mileage on it. Throw 4x4 in the mix with the mileage and let's see who responds....
  • xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    nochevyagain -
    Sorry to hear about the trouble with your S10. None of us want, or expect, to have that kind of trouble with their trucks. I know a co-worker who is having some of the same frustrations with his truck as you are with yours. He bought a 2000 Tacoma and has recently had his rear axle replaced along with one half of his rear suspension. Add to that a faulty electrical system that has left him stranded on two occasions, and, well, you can see that he is not a happy camper...
  • rks10rks10 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2000 S-10 4 cyl 5 spd. It is a nice truck, fun to drive, especially at $1.80 per gallon. What were the major changes to the engine in 2000 besides calling it a Vortech? My only complaint would be the vibration of the engine at higher rpm's. I'm amazed they didn't balance the engine better.
    Had six S10s now. My 91 with 2.8 V6 five speed is easily the best vehicle I've ever owned. On the other hand my 97 with the 2.2L four cyl. was the worst. Hard to believe the same brand/type of vehicle could have fallen so far in quality. Certainly hope my experience with this was a rarity.
  • expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    I also have a 2.2 in my 2000 S-10. I just returned from a trip up to Tahoe, fully loaded with gear. Except for the fact that I had to shift down in the hills it performed flawless. No vibration at all at 70+ mph. I will sacrifice a little lack of power for 29 mph. The Vortec engine is totally different from all the other previously built 4 cyl. Do a internet search for specs. Just like the 6s' and 8s' that GM builds now, most the parts are not interchangable with their previous motors. I remember before 1996 that the GM 350 could use the heads off almost any small block Chevy motor. No more. I just hope that this new Vortec four is as dependible as the old "iron duke" of old.
  • cachetcachet Member Posts: 6
    I recently bought a 93 S10-Tahoe 4.3V6 auto. Overall it seems pretty good for having 125k miles on it (has typical valve guide oil smoke problem). My question is what is included in the Tahoe package? It has manual windows, door locks, vinyl seats, no tilt or cruise or carpeting. Is the Tahoe package just wheels and moulding?
    I had a 92 S-10 Tahoe. It has manual windows and door locks. It also has a tilt wheel. Cloth bench seat it also has carpeting with rubber floor mats. 4.3L V-6 just a radio no cassette or cd. The wheels are steel with plastic caps. This is a great work truck. It has 90000 mls on it. My dad has it back now since i have bought a silverado. How can you guys live with a 4 cylinder???

Ryan
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    I've heard the 4 cyl/5 speed is peppy, never drove one though. I know the 4 cyl with the auto is very slow, at least the one I drove, (thought I'd give the 4 banger a chance, better mileage and insurance) so I got the V6.
This discussion has been closed.