Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Heated mirrors aren't an option, because the heating elements in the mirrors are on 100% of the time the engine is running. Even on 100 degree/90% humidity days.
  • beemcitybeemcity Member Posts: 50
    Thanks. Where can I get this P21 wheel cleaner? At any auto parts store? and what brand is it, etc.. details please.

Also, since it is the brake dust, I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with the brakes and this is just the side effect, as you say, of having such responsive brakes..
  • higginshiggins Member Posts: 4
    I been a BMW owner for many years; 3/ 521 and two 325. I traded my 2001/ 521 for 2005 X-3 so I would have more room to help me at my vacation home.
    Nice car, good ride but after 5 months I'm disappointed in what I have for my $35,000.
    It's the little things that should be there....No garage door opener; have to push button to open passenger's doors; security key doesn't work downtown Chicago, only manual open/lock; radio static downtown so bad have to turn off; roof vent made of cloth and wind noise way too loud;cupholders so flimsy that one replaced already;no back rear area heat vents;and there never is a gas station that it doesn't want to stop for a drink!
    I think for this kind of $$ there are accepted standard features that BMW has chose not to include and what I listed is cheap. My only alternative is to move away to Japan for something better.
    BMW your about to lose a longtime customer.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Any auto parts store... Wear rubber gloves.. Nothing wrong with your brakes, take a look at any late-model BMW... they all have it.. BMW uses soft pads and soft rotors.. Creates a lot of dust, but they really hook up.

P21s is the brand name..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    You can also swap out your brake pads to ones that grip just as well, but not nearly as much brake dust. I use the PBR/Axxis brakes on my 3 series, and there is 99.5% less dust and grip just as well. I would think with this being a 3 series based vehicle you could use the same brakes, but you'd probably want to talk with one who knows the parts better than me.

-Paul
  • al35al35 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm getting around 10 mpg driving in NYC with a light foot and around 23 mpg on a highway using 93 gas and having auto trans.
    Does anyone have similar mpg in similar driving conditions? Or its something wrong with a car (2000 miles)?
    Thanks.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Methinks NOT!

Most come on only when the rear window defogger/defrost is on.
  • kohinahikohinahi Member Posts: 112
    Actually, I was at the dealership yesterday. The 2005 X3s do not have heated mirrors in the standard package or the cold weather package......looks like someone missed it.

I checked and did not see any heated mirror buttons on the light-switch panel nor did I see the heated mirror sign which generally appears on the mirror.

I'm sure they would advertise this added feature....guess snow is around the corner...will find out soon enough!
    23 MPG!!!!! WOW! How many miles do you have on your truck?

I have 2600 miles and get between 16 (city) and 19 (highway) on my 2.5 - with BP Ultimate 93.

What brand gas are you using?
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I use 93 also, whats killing me is a city driving where I'm getting around 10mpg.
    Did you try reset your gas consumtion meter when you actually driving on a highway?
    I noticed that many people are paying near full price for all parts and accesories....I joined the BMW CCA when I bought my truck and it is the best $40 I have spent. You get an awesome magazine (Roundel) every month, plus most (if not all!) dealers offer 20% discount on parts and 15% discount on labor.

I have already saved over a 100 bucks on my accessory purchases, supplies and labor. Plus you are eligible for a cash reward ($500 - $1500) for buying a new or CPO BMW (if you are a CCA member in good standing for 12 months)

After discounts - the Ipod connector is for $120 + $51 (for .75 hours of Labor @ $85 per hour). Savings of about $43 for a $215 job

http://www.bmwcca.org/index_flash.shtml
    http://bmwcca.org/services/svcfset.shtml
    Actually, I reset the odometer every time I fill gas. So I just calculate the mileage driven divided by the quantity of gas that I just filled. Seems to be the most accurate.

The trip computer calculates over a longer period of time and since I am within the first 3500 miles, I believe my mileage is still improving. Once in a while I will reset the MPG on the trip computer.
    10 MPG is crazy! I put 93 octance gas and in mix of highway/city get about 19 MPG, but I am in my first 3500 miles also so hopefully it will get better...
    In NYC traffic? Not surprising... Most people don't really do pure city driving, so it is hard for them to compare..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Are not part of any package.. They are standard.. They don't have a button, because they work automatically.. They don't come on with the rear window defooggers (many other makes use this system). I'm not sure if they are on 100% of the time (doubtful), but I do think they work off of the outside temperature sensor, and come on at certain temperatures (guessing).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

How often should the air be checked... Does that Tire gauge button tell you when you are low on air, or just a flat tire notification? I never understood that function or the function of that Red Light thingie attached to the bottom of the rear view mirror.
    Fondly called the "Clown-Nose", it houses a LED that flashes when the car alarm is armed. Atleast in the case of the X3, I have it programmed to flash (when locked!) even though I do not have an alarm. Is a good visual deterrent.

For cars without the auto-dimming rear view mirror, it also functions as the dimming lever. Just twist it!
    2002 3 series owners manual page 48. Check it out. I'm sure the X3 works similiarly.
  • 1stbeemer1stbeemer Member Posts: 3
    Just got an '05 X3 3.0 auto. With around 600 miles so far i'm getting aroung 14mpg. This is by the old fashioned method, not the on-board computer. Otherwise the car is great.
    I'll take your word for it... what does it say? On all the time?

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Quote the manual - interpet as desired.

Electric defrosting* Both mirrors are automatically heated when you turn the ignition key to position 2.
    That pretty much says it all...

Thanks!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kewilpeekewilpee Member Posts: 15
    I have been stationed in Germany for a total of 7 years now, and the X3 i have purchased will be my 3th BMW (and first new one). I currently have a 95 325i which i have owned for 5 years . I have opened it up on the autobahn to 130mph for periods of time, but never dared ready trying it out on the corners really hard, cause i dont want to lose the back end and crash and total the thing. Has anyone put the X3 into the corners hard? To see how it really handles? I have a second question but will post another message to keep the conversations separate.
    I have seen may posts on this board complaining about the price of this option and that option. or settling for what's on the lot, even though they would like more options.

This will be my first new car purchase, and i am getting the works, loaded and waiting for it to be built. If you are going to drop $35,000+ for a "BMW" or any vehicle for that matter, why are people complaining about a such and such dollars for this and that option, all to save $10 dollars a month on a car payment????? Or this thing is not getting the gas mileage on the "tin"

This is what I think when to break the $30-$35 threshold for a base priced vehicle, these are not things to dither about. If you think you can be up in this class of vehicle then "GO FOR IT" it is worth every penny. I will be very happy that I got every option I wanted when i take delivery. No second guessing or trying to add stuff i regret i did not want to pay for at the start.

If you can't afford to tank up well I better get a Honda CVX, and if you want the cruise, well stick with the bow tie (chevy) get the cruise and save yourself $15K.

28 Jan is my Xmas day for my dream "SAV", WOW what a long time to wait.
    Maybe a form of standing around jawing near the heat and the cracker barrel.

It's a harmless game we play between the car sales people and ourselves.
    Found it.....for the X3. Good to have a searcheable electronic copy of the manual....available free from BMW Ownerlink.

Hard copy manual - Pg.29, paragraph 2

Electronic manual - Pg.32, paragraph 4

Electric heaters

Both mirrors are heated automatically in

ignition key position 2.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    In 2004, BMW held an X3 "performance" driving event in various cities around the US. When it came through Washington, DC, they set up a short (3/4 to 1 mile) road course in the FedEx Field parking lot. Not super challenging, but enough S's, sweeping lefts, and hairpins to offer variety. They'd load three drivers and one instructor in each X3 and basically send people out to lap as fast as they could.

BMW (and I'd guess their insurance company) had a lot of faith that the X3 wouldn't (couldn't) roll, even when cornered hard enough to wear out tires every 50 - 200 miles (depending on the outside temp.)

The point made in the pre-drive brief was that the X3 CG is VERY low compared to most SUVs.

Does it handle curves as well as a three series sedan? No. Does it handle curves better than most other sedans? Yes.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Among the critics what gets lost or not noticed to begin with is the X3's handling ability. Many people want cushy luxury utes. Harsh ride? Stay away. Bring on the sport drivers who need a little utility. No iDrive, spartan interior? Works for me. I think this is the one new-age bimmer that really hits the target. All beef, no fat.

I always take reviews with a grain of salt and let my own driving impressions guide me but the Edmunds first-drive review by D. John Booth mirrors my thoughts almost exactly:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/bmw/x3/100374220/roadtestarticle.- html?articleId=100732&tid=edmunds.e.roadtests.content...BMW*
    Agreed. If you're target perception is the RX330, the X3 is not that. But if you want the handling and precision of the 3 series in a small suv package - it's a winner.
    that I could see in my short time with the X3 (service loaner).. is the steering ratio isn't nearly as quick as my 325i.. Any handling deficiencies seemed more attributable to the standard higher-profile all-season tires than to a higher CG.

It was a very confidence inspiring drive... Granted, it won't handle like a 3-series, but it gives you the same road feel and control.. Just have to turn the wheel more to get the same level of turn-in.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• njdriver1njdriver1 Member Posts: 97
    The service department at the Dealer claimed a TSB for the car required some software re-programming. I'll see if that takes car of it.

I've been driving for 25 years and parked on hills numerous times and have never seen a gauge react like this one. This has been the only nagging issue I've had with the car.

BTW, after 3,500 m I'm averaging 15.2 mph with an average speed of 22mph, nearly all city driving.
    Hi kohinahi is there any way I can touch bases with you about a copy of the E-manual. I have purchased my X3 thru Military sales in Germany, and I cannot register w/ BMWUSA to get these added perks. I would love to get my hands on a copy before i take delivery so i can "read" all about my new SAV before i pick it up. Thanks anything in the manual about a heated front windshield too?? the Germany hand outs have pics about it
  • jonathanx3jonathanx3 Member Posts: 4
    I have PDF copy of the x32.5i 2004 manual. Would this help you?
  • jonathanx3jonathanx3 Member Posts: 4
    My X3 2.5i Automatic has just reached about 1600 miles. Last week, it started to lose power and it seems to be shifting harder (noticable shift between down and up) and it seems to have a hard time to actually shift into the next gear. At times I have to almost max out the pedal just to get enough power to gain speed or pass a vehicle. This problem seems to come and go, as sometimes the speed and pickup of the X3 are great, and very speedy. Other times, the speed is very, very sluggish. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this? I have wondered if it was related to the colder weather in the northeast, or the quality of gasoline (I have only ever used 93 octane premium gasoline). During this problem, it also seems that the engine is reving too high at times, and revs high until the vehicle is almost at complete stop. When in idle, the engines sounds normal, no excessive revving. Any clues or help would be greatly appreciated.
    No problem....just email me at kohinahi[at]yahoo.com. I'll forward you a copy.

All you really need is your VIN number....and you can register at https://oc.bmwusa.com/oemainlogin.asp

I don't think there is any restriction to joining the BMW Owner's circle except that you own a BMW.
    How (aggressively or not?!) have you been driving your vehicle....X3's have Adaptive Transmission Management which takes your personal driving style into account and chooses the perfect moment to change gears. You could be experiencing this?!!

Unfortunately I do not know much about this feature.....maybe kyfdx or someone more experienced could comment. I have kinda' been in your situation once where (driving in auto) I could not get enough speed. I shifted into steptronic mode and drove a little aggressive (because I was kinda' pissed with its performance) and the next time around it drove just fine! Showed the X3 who's the master ;o)
    Thanks kohinahi, I will do that; however even though i am buying a US spec BMW thru military sales, I cannot register with BMWUSA.

This is because the us GI's actually are buying thru a special program with BMW Germany not BMWUSA. Another thing is we dont get the North America DVD disk for the NAV sys. They cut $50 off the price of the package, but we need to buy a European DVD for around $150

Bummer, but we do get some perks like no sales tax, and the availability of European dealer installed options.

My build date has slipped till Feb, but I am lock into a great exchange rate price that was set back in Sept.

Cant wait to talk it out on the autobahn, the demo i drove was so sweet with the cruise set at 100 MPH
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Will BMWUSA honor the warranty, or will it be a gray market car if you bring it back to the States?

Steve, Host
    They offer 1/2 the warranty while in Europe, then it is out of pocket. However this program is primarily for people that ship back to the states after a year or so, then from what I have been told, the vehicle will revert back to the original warranty in the states if there is any left. The Military market overseas is pretty is brisk, and the feedback great, so if BMW did not honor it, it will be announced quickly. So it must be on the up and up

Kewilpee
  • parniparni Member Posts: 14
    Hi guys, Have 4K miles on my 2.5 and really enjoying it. My question was: although BMW recomends an oil change every 15K, do you guys recommend something different, i have heard some folks tell me to do it at 7.5K.....please help.
    I do mine at 7500.. no good reason.. my dealer doesn't even recommend it.. Just makes me happy...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I follow the manufacturers maintenance schedule to a "T". Nothing more and nothing less. If the car falls apart in 10 years who cares?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If the car falls apart in 10 years who cares?

That would depend entirely on where you will be in 10 years. If, by some quirk of fate, you happen to be moving along in the car at the time it might just matter! ;-)

tidester, host
    Is the only reason they don't recommend it because it uses a synthetic oil that you don't need to change out that often?? I am sure changing it every 7-8K wouldn't hurt it THAT much.
    I didn't mean to intimate that they recommend against it.. as in, don't do it.. They just say they don't see a need for it..

But, you are correct. .it can't hurt. And they don't say that it does...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Oil changes are perhaps the simplest and least expensive maintenance service that contribute to a great driving experience and extend the life of your engine.

The basic function of oil is still the same - to lubricate and to carry away dirt/debris from the moving parts.

For the purposes of selling cars, manufacturers have on a continual basis tried to use increased service intervals, to depict low cost maintenance, as a selling point. I think these intervals are based on ideal conditions, and do not generally apply to the real world.

Honda advertises 10,000 mile oil changes, but their dealers (as well as independents) recommend 5,000 mile changes. Plus these dealers provide two levels of service - for normal and harsh conditions?!

I think spending $45-$60 once a year will not only ensure that my high performance vehicle stays healthy, but will also be a determining factor in getting a better price when reselling the vehicle. People pay for well maintained vehicles. (I sold my 1990 Honda Accord for Blue Book retail to a private party - Immaculate interiors and great engine.)

FROM THE OWNERS MANUAL:

The BMW maintenance system is designed in such a way that it reliably ensures the road safety and operating reliability of the vehicle – keeping the cost for you as low as possible.

Regular maintenance is not only required for the safety of the vehicle, it also improves the resale value.

Service Interval Display

The BMW Maintenance System takes the driving conditions of the vehicle into account when determining service intervals:

From the point of view of maintenance, 62,000 miles/100,000 km accumulated in short-distance urban driving are not the equivalent of the same distance covered at moderate speeds in long-distance highway travel.

The BMW maintenance system is divided into engine oil service as well as Inspections I and II.

Determining the maintenance intervals according to the actual loads on the vehicle covers every kind of operating situation. However, even those who drive only short distances – significantly less than 6,200 miles/10,000 km annually – should have the engine oil changed at least every 2 years since oil deteriorates over time, regardless of use.
    My dealer charges $94 for an oil/filter change..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Wow!! The independent here is charging around $48 for oil & filter and about $25 if I supply the oil. Dealership is about $68 ($58 after CCA discount).

I have heard of some people spending 125+ for an oil change in Los Angeles.

Some of you might be interested in this "innovative" oil change kit ($115) from Griot's garage. It extracts the oil from the dipstick tube. No getting under the car!

kyfdx, would it work if the oil was changed but the old filter remained till the scheduled oil change??

Thanks.

Griot's Garage - Kinda' like the Sharper Image for auto products.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

Oil Change Kit

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1007- - - &L3=L3_4500&SKU=10320

Oil/Liquid Extractor

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1007- &L3=L3_4500&SKU=10122
    Most of the charge is a half hour of labor at $95/hr.. Since I only have to pay for one oil change per year, with the other one being free, it really isn't that big a deal... I do get the free coffee and pastries....

Some poster on here uses the pump to change his oil... erickpl... you around?

But, now that I think of it, he has a 325xi... Might do a search on the 3 series board.. he has written extensively on it.. I'm not much of a DIY.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

But the chance of the GOFER, McD graduate, doing the change screwing up in some serious way.