Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    It is recommended the oil gets changed once a year, even if the Service Interval indicator is not illuminated.
  • corralcorral Member Posts: 58
    Here is an update to my defective passengerside airbag. The pass airbag is not working and bmw is out of parts to fix it. They expect me to drive a car with a non functioning airbag for several months untill the can cough up a part and fix it. I love the car and bought it for saftey for myself and family. I found this odd and contacted a laywer that sepecializes in lemon law and auto defects. He sent them a demand letter to repurchase the vehicle as it qualifies under the lemon law in the state of california. They had 30 days to respond with their position under california leagal rules. It took them 45 days to deny the claim and they will fix it when the part is avaible. Bmw is arrogent and thinks they are above the law of the state of california. They build a nice car but they have problem admitting they make mistakes. They act like this is so rare. Anyone see how many buyback 7 series there are?
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Let us know what happens.
    I know someone that had a tranny that was effected by Honda/Acura recall. The tranny was making noises and the dealer said it would be about 6 weeks before they got one in. The car had to be driven that way and ultimately it was fixed.

I don't think BMW is blowing smoke, they may have a recall and are temporarily out of parts.
  • corralcorral Member Posts: 58
    I agree, but I am paying for a safe vehicle. It is not my problem they are out of parts. It is their responsibility to rent me a car untill mine is safe to drive. If they can't do that then they should have to foot the bill for a repurchase of the vehicle. Whatever is the problem, it's not my problem. I coughed up with thw 41,000 to purchase the car. They can make it safe to drive or eat it.
  • kewilpeekewilpee Member Posts: 15
    I have till the new year to decide if I want to add the sports package to the SAV I am ordering. Any one out there have it? Can you share your thoughts? I drove it once for an hour or so and it seems too hard a ride. The non sport package was much smoother, but someone on this post said the tires might have been over inflated?

Like I said any thoughs? Is there any advantages to having the sport package?
    I can't say I disagree with your positions. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Normally... I am a big proponent of the sport package.. But, in an SUV, you are going to lose some of the utility..

The X3 already handles better than any other SUV, and it already has massive 235/55-17 tires.. It just seems like a little bit of overkill.. Although, the sport seats are definitely a nice addition..

I have the sport package on my 325i, but I wouldn't get it, if ordering an X3.. but, that is just one person's opinion..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    The reports on X3 when it first appeared were that the already-firm-by-SUV-standards ride became punishing with the sport package, to the point where the car became quite skitterish and uncomfortable on anything but smooth pavement. And that you didn't gain much in handling, at least, unless you were really pushing.

Things may have changed though - I don't hear as many complaints.

- Mark
    Discovered the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) first hand today. Got a loaner 2004 318ti (in Germany they still make them w/ the M package no less, it was from the dealer my 325i was having an oil change) and hit two or three patches of ice on the road, one on a 45 degree curve!!! It was surreal.... the DSC (even though the 318 is a RW drive only) was like an expert driver intervening to make sure I did not lose control. I actually felt the power being cut from the wheel, and once in both wheels where they hit the ice. The DSC started flashing madly and then there was no power on the wheels for a split second till i passed the ice. Unlike a normal RW drive car the tires would hit the ice and start slipping, thus sliding to the side, the DSC cut the power, and monitored till i got to the good traction. I was quit bizarre, normally when you hit the hard traction in a normal vehicle the would be a jolt, possibly undermining control, it was seamless. 1-3 seconds later the power was back on solid road without missing a step.

As for the sport suspension this 318ti "M" was a very hard ride, later in the day after the frost melted I could take a 90 degree turn at 40 MPH, but my back started to hurt when i was on the autobahn more 30 min, felt every bump.

Thanks for the input on the sports package, I think I will stick to the Prem, and the rest of the options only.

PS anyone know a dealer online where I can order the AUX input from the glove compartment??? (AKA MP3 player... not the Ipod special) this is not an option in germany but the dealer here will install the USA option. I want to get one and give it to the dealer to install with the rest of the Euro options i have picked out.

Kewilpee
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I currently drive a 3 series, but I am looking at getting into a SUV or truck. I was giving up on BMW but does anyone take their X3 or X5 offroad? or tow? I need something to tow a boat and do mild offroading (not Death Valley, but camping/sand/trails). Can this get it done? I love my bimmer now, would love to stay with them. How is the reliability? thanks for any help.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    there's OFFROADING!

The X3 doesn't go offroading!
    I plan to take my X3 to places a "car" can't. Like centralcal said down dirt roads to go to camping spots, out on the beach in some places, and in the snowy country, where a car is a bit of a challenge/risk to drive. Heck, there are alot of places in the UK and Germany where I have punished my 325 "car" and wished I had the extra clearance and the AWD to get me to where i wanted to go. I want the extra reliability of a "soft off roader" mixed with the performance of a BMW sedan. I think centralcal will agree... go and try one out for a test drive. If you need 4X4 go with a Jeep G Cherokee for the luxury bit minus the performance.
  • kohinahikohinahi Member Posts: 112
    You might need to make a long distance call to a BMW dealer in the United States. Some of them will ship internationally....since the Aux Input will fit in an envelope and weighs almost nothing, it wouldn't cost you more than a few dollars.

I have not come across any reliable on-line dealers...again, there might be dealers out there, but 'I' have not come across any!
  • ab1ab1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

I've just received my X3 3.0i, and the dealer tried to sell me their protection packages:

1- a thin film to protect from bugs and road dirt

2- a glossy coating that covers the whole car to protect pain from acid rain etc.

Has anybody tried thoese? Any recommendations? Do you think I should go for them?

Thanks.
  • m5x3m5x3 Member Posts: 23
    If the thin film you describe is similar to the 3M "clear bra", then I would recommend it if you plan a lot of highway driving. I have had this product installed on two BMWs, including my X3, here in the Dallas area - it's been a real help with protecting the cars agains stone chips and bug splatter. Looks great and works great. My installer is a true artist and charges a fair price. I would advise that you look at the dealer's work on other cars and make sure their price is in line, maybe $400 to $500. I covered my front fenders, front of my rearview mirrors and headlight lenses.

Generally, I have always thought of the paint protection ideas proposed by dealers to be rip-offs. They often provide very expensive insurance for your paint job. We traded a 10 year old M3 for our X3 and the paint was still in great shape, with the exception of stone chips on the front of the car. I wish I had met the 3M installer a few years earlier.
    I've received my 05 X3 last week. It drives like a dream, especially when I get to drive my 01 Camery and compare the two. I had a couple of QC issues though, the dealer said will fix them:

1- The windshield washers are miswired, the front wipers work when washing the rear windshield, and the rear wipers work when washing the front.

2- rain sensing wiper do not start on their own. Only when I switch them off and back on to rain sensing. Once started, they react well to the rainfall.
    The second problem you list is not a problem according to BMW. BMW sets the control so that you have to re-enter the rain sensing mode after the ignition is switched off and then back on. This helps to avoid setting off the automatic wipers in car washes, etc. I have had three BMWs with rain sensors and they all work the same.

Enjoy your X3. Our 04 X3 is approaching 10,000 miles without a single reliability issue.
    I read in the user guide that X3 has the option of having a first aid kit under passenger seat. I have 3.0i with no prm packages. I am not sure if mine is missing or if my car is not supposed to come with the kit. Does anybody know?
    Only Euro models come with a first-aid kit.. and, to chime in.. the rain-sensing wipers are working properly.. You have to activate them each time the car is started.. Otherwise, you might drive into the car wash on a sunny day, and watch them get torn off.. At least, that is the reasoning for them working the way they do..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jpouchetjpouchet Member Posts: 38
    Okay X3 fans, I am seriously considering my first BMW. Currently we own two Mercedes, my 98 C230 which has been excellent other than a nagging window regulator problem (latent design defect in my book as an electro-mechanical sales person) and my wife’s brand new E 320. But with the addition of a puppy, Australian Cattle Dog, our kids are older now and more active, and our outdoor life style – sailing, MTB and road cycling, golf, snow skiing, etc. – we have concluded it is time to get another SUV. Had a GMC Yukon and will NEVER go down that path again!

So can you discuss some of the finer points of living with an X3 and BMW? My vehicle design considerations run more towards luxury than plebian. Hence I want leather, REAL wood trim, automatic 5 speed of higher, AWD, seating for five even though we will usually have 4 only, in dash CD & changer, sun roof, functional roof rack where I can add a storage box, large enough cargo area for the dog to relax, 2 inch receiver for my bike/ski rack (not on the roof thank you), and some semblance of fuel economy. By this I mean no 10-15 MPG V8 monsters.

Vehicle in consideration are the X3 (I like the overall size coming from the C class and prefer the sporty ride/handling), Volvo XC 90 T5 (having driven one on a test track I can attest that this thing can fly when put to the test), VW Touareg V6 (concerned about quality, fuel economy, and despite the size the seating position is confining), and perhaps the new 06 ML 350 provided MB can get the recipe right in the fuel economy and weight area.

So how is life with a BMW? Do you get lifetime roadside assistance? How about free loaner cars while yours is in for service, warranty or not? And the repair prices for out of warranty, do they figure if you can afford to join the luxury club you should be able to mortgage the house whenever anything needs service?

The purchase is not going to be made until June/July but I am monitoring the various marquee forums to keep informed.

Thank you!
  • x3joyx3joy Member Posts: 3
    Had a chance to finally test my X3 2.5 in LOTS of snow this morning. Chicago area got about 10 inches of snowfall in the last day and a half. I live in the city, and my garage access is in an alley. We had snow drifts in alleys (that don't ever get snow-plowed) up to almost 2 feet. The X3 was flawless. My 2002 E39 would still have been in the alley as I type this, unless some kind neighbors had happened by and helped push me out.

I have about 7500 miles on the X3 now, and am 98% pleased overall. The window creaking has started to return, so we need to go back to Fields BMW (great dealer/shop!) to have the seals lubricated again. Otherwise, the vehicle is absolutely wonderful. The engine and ride seem to be breaking in nicely.

Just thought I'd share a mid-west winter experience in the X3.
  • harplayrharplayr Member Posts: 70
    I second that! I'm also in the Chicago area, and putting the X3 through its paces during the storm was a blast! I found some isolated places that I could push it a bit as I wanted to get a feel for the X3's limitations.

I was astounded at the handling and the performance of the X-Drive system with the stock All season tires. I could make it slide in sharp cornering, but was able to regain control with ease. I would love to see how it handles with real snow tires. As it is, it is far superior to any vehicle I have ever driven in snow and ice. I will never buy another car without all wheel drive as long as I live in snow country.
  • beemcitybeemcity Member Posts: 50
    I was looking at simliar choices as you, but not coming from Mercedes, rather Japanese cars. However, seeing your priorities: luxury, etc, etc.. I think the Touraeg should be off the list. We looked at and the thing was a beast and fuel economy was less than desirable. Volvo, i guess it's a personal thing, but I dind't like the design or look of it.

I would suggest you also look at the Infinity FX models and the Lexus RX 330. Both would fit the bill, but neither are probably in the same class performance wise as the BMW. Also, what about the X5? I don't know about its fuel economy, but it's more luxurious than the X3.

So far, 4k miles on my 2004 X3 3.0 and I love it. The suspension is a bit bumpy/stiff, but it's handling, fuel economy and simple but adequate stylings are perfect for an urban lifestyle. I get about 19 MPG of mix city/highway. Can fit 5 comfortably and decent amt. of cargo.

Only dissapointments are nitpicky, and things out of my control like brake dust accumluting quickly (price yu pay for good brakes :), but otherwise I love it.

Haven't taken it for service yet, but what I've dealt with so far with my dealership, they bend over backwards for you.

Good luck with your search. Keep us posted.

AAP
    For many of us life with BMW is a lot of fun. I have an X3 with over 10K miles that has never had a single reliability problem. The car has almost every option: 3.0, sport, luxury, nav, PDC, premium sound, alarm, garage door opener, heated seats, cargo net, etc., but my experience is with 6-speed only. This is my 5th new BMW since '95, including an M3, two M5s and a 540i. My dealer has treated me very well, always providing new BMWs as loaners when my cars have required service.

The X3 sounds like it could very closely meet your requirements. My biggest concern would be your desire for luxury. The Volvo and VW might pamper you a little more. But if you like the performance of the Volvo, you should certainly be happy with the 3.0 X3. Neither the Volvo nor VW will give you the overall cornering and stopping capability you'll get with the X3. And you'll have to get the V8 in the VW to even get close to the acceleration you would get with the X3 3.0 because the X3 is so much lighter. But strangely, the X3 actually equals the VW's cargo capacity. The X3 gas mileage is far superior - we have experienced a true 20 mpg in mixed driving since purchase.

I have had some experience driving and riding in C Classes. The ride and handling in my X3 is comparable to a C with sport setup. Several folks have complained on these boards about the stiff ride of the X3, so you probably need to be careful about this aspect when comparing the X3, VW and Volvo. The VW and Volvo will give you a softer ride at the expense of athleticism.

From my viewpoint, looking mostly for performance, functionality, safety (accident avoidance), reliability and reasonable gas mileage, I wouldn't seriously consider the other two vehicles. But not many grandfathers like sport suspensions as much as I do.
    Thanks for all of the input. Yes, we were looking at the X5 but I prefer a smaller vehicle as most of the time it is just me going to work or running weekend errands. The VW is rapidly falling out of contention as I checked out another one that a neighbor owns and it has been to the shop far too often and felt confining in the front seats. The FX styling does not suit my wife and rear visibility and space are horrible. Lexus is way overdone is So Cal, more common than Ford Explorers and they just don't give me that sporting feel.

The interior on the X3 is more than adequate for my needs and seems a bit more functional than the Volvo but I need more test time with each to confirm.

And 19-20 MPG combined is a LOT better than we used to get in our 1999 GMC Yukon, 11-13 mpg.
    I'm with you on the Lexus.. Way overdone and too much fluff for my tastes. Give me an interior with just what i need, but an engine and car that roars and I am fine. I don't need wood trim on every square inch of interior nor do I need many useless features in a ride which is luxurious, but not an SUV ride.

The Touraeg, of your neighbors, not surprised its always in the shop. The car looks nice, but it's very impersonable drive wise, bulky and above all not enough oomph for the money. And especially for your needs, it will feel like a chore in city driving.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    JPouchet --

Congrats on the ACD. We have an ACD and a BC mix, and we're looking at the X3 as well.

Would love to hear about the experiences of anyone who's lived with an X3 for awhile and hauled around 2 adults, 1 baby (with stroller and other paraphernalia), and 1 or more dogs.

As far as the "detail" questions go:

Can anyone tell me -- is there a good pet barrier for the X3, even a side-to-side cargo net would probably suffice for our purposes, but our dealer said "no."

The same dealer said the X3 comes with "run-flat" tires. I don't see that online or in the brochure, although I understand the X3 has a low tire pressure monitor. Any input here?

Thx.
    Check out http://www.autoanything.com The site takes a while to load but they have just about every type of accessories known and then a few more.

We just took our ACD for a drive in a rented Cheep Cherokee (what a piece of junk) and found that he could easily get between the wheel well and back seat. So I doubt he will stay still long in the X3 without a barrier. That said I am hoping our local BMW dealer, Irvine BMW, will graciously let us do a test drive WITH the dog. Then we will really know what we are getting.

As to your setup, doubt the backend is large enough for everything but a good stroller should fold almost flat and you could keep it behind one of the seats. We did that with our daughter when we had an S10 2-door blazer as it was easy to pull out quickly.
    The X3 does not come with run flats.

We bought the cargo net. It attaches to the roof vertically, either behind the front seats with the rear seats folded, or behind the back seats when they're up. I would think it would work for any medium/large dog, but a lot of folks have questioned its worth.
  • jeff33jeff33 Member Posts: 22
    I now have about 10,000 miles on my x3 3.0. My chocolate lab LOVES to ride, but was very active and noisy in my Tahoe. So, I deemed it necessary to buy the cargo net option. I have mixed feelings about its usefulness. The distance between the top of the headrests (in lowest position)on the back seat and the roof of the car is 8 inches. If the headrests are raised, this gap becomes 6 inches. If your dog is not an active rider, the net is probably not necessary. My lab has a tendency to drool, so the net keeps his head (and the saliva) behind the back seats. But if your dog is a calm rider and not a drooler, I wouldn't spend the money. My lab is much calmer in the confined space of the x3 compared to my old tahoe. He fits in well, but if I had a second 100 pound dog, it would be VERY cramped. There is an 8 inch gap on each side of the cargo net as well. The net basically stops on the outside edge of each headrest. My lab sometimes sticks his head around those sides. Hope this helps!
    recommend the RX series as an alternative to an X3..EVER!

With a most definite (mechanical) torque bias to the front, 95/5, the RX can be hazardous in the very conditions most SUVs should (are exoected to)shine. Prior to 04 a VC was used to allocate torque, but only about 25% to the rear under continuous wheelspin.

The RX330, 04 and later, uses an open center diff'l and Trac, brakes, to apportion torque, prevent wheelspin. To prevent the brakes from over-heating the engine is quickly dethrottled if the wheelspin persists.

And after about 45 seconds of dethrottled wheelspin, Trac brake applications, the AWD system is disabled completely.

I added 1.2" wheel spacers on my 01 RX300 so I could use snow chains on the rear and not endure the hazards of snow chains ONLY on the front as the idiots at Lexus continues to recommed.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    That's very helpful. Thanks, Jeff.

Together, our dogs weigh about 85 pounds, and it looks like there's room for both in back.

Our ACD is a pretty good passenger. Once she gets in the back, she generally stays in the back. The BC mix, though, she thinks she should be allowed to drive or at least be allowed to ride shotgun. If there's an eight inch gap on each side of the cargo net, it's a pretty good bet that she'll be up front in no time.

I guess we'll have to look for another solution if we want to keep the X3 on the short-list.
  • akwilliamsakwilliams Member Posts: 40
    So far living with the X3 is more like "living it up." I think that if you are coming out of a C230, you will find the X3 just right in terms of size. Others are dead on when they question the Toureg. I also agree that the RX 330 is out of place in any comparison with the X3.

A question for others. My owner's manual mentions adaptive break lights. Are these standard? Also, has anyone found a good place to store change in the X3? I wish the ash tray could be converted to a coin holder.
    I only meant to say that the RX330 was another option not that it is comprabable or any better. It's a completely different type of car for a buyer with different needs..

I tend to put change in the center armrest, the top part of it, not the cd holder, which by the way barely holds more than 5 cds with cases.
  • alaskan_otteralaskan_otter Member Posts: 28
    I have a Blue Heeler. She rides in the cargo with no net. At first I raised the headrests and found there was NO way she could fit thru the space to get into the passenger sections. Now I don't even raise them and she has never tried to leap over.

I would recommend the BMW plastic cargo mat. Very handy.
  • jeff33jeff33 Member Posts: 22
    I also heartily agree that the cargo mat is a necessity. I bought the BMW version from my dealer at a comparable price to other places. I also bought window deflectors from weathertech.com. I really love them. They were very easy for even a klutz like me to insatall, they are model specific, and I could choose some with nearly no tint. I think the tint makes limited visibility in the X3 even worse. I have seen other deflectors but find this brand to be high quality and very attractive.
    Not sure if this post still fits as part of the buying experience, but I think those considering the car would want to know about this. First, let me say that I love this vehicle. It handles perfectly and is the most comfortable SUV I have ever driven.

A couple days ago, I put the vehicle in reverse (automatic transmission). It rolled back about a foot and stopped. No amount of gas would budge it. I returned the gear selector to park. Put it back in reverse and everything worked fine. The next day, it happened again. But this time I could not get it to go in reverse no matter what I did. I let it coast out of the driveway and took it straight to the dealer. It was a Saturday and the service department was closed. My salesman got me a rental car. The service department called on Monday. They could not repeat the problem. They said they would keep it over night and try again in the morning. They also said they emailed BMW about the problem.

Today they called to tell me that they were replacing the entire transmission. I asked if they could duplicate the problem I had. They said no, but that BMW told them to replace the transmission anyway.

My thoughts. 1) I have to believe the BMW is aware of some type of problem or at least aware that my complaint fits a scenario that warrants replacing the transmission (not a cheap procedure).

2) How refreshing not to hear: "We could not duplicate the problem, please bring it back if it happens again."

3) I can;t wait to get out of my Kia Amanti and back into my X3!
    To keep this on topic.. How much did you pay for your X3?

Now that is out of the way...lol

1) A lot of times, transmission problems on BMWs can be solved by a software upgrade.. Since they didn't do that, it is possible they aren't aware of what is wrong..

Also, dealers rarely do any transmission repairs anymore.. The labor costs for tearing down a transmission are so high... and the chance of an experienced tech knowing what to do is so low, even if they did, makes it much more cost effective to swap it out with a factory rebuilt unit.. And, from a consumer perspective, much more likely to result in a satisfactory repair..

2) AMEN

3) No doubt about that..

Glad to hear you had a good experience... So far, my limited contact with the local BMW service department has been great. (The BMW Store in Cincinnati, if anyone cares).

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wait4mrchwait4mrch Member Posts: 13
    So many have commented on the cheapness of the X3 interior and cheap plastic feel. If interiors are so improtant to some, the X3 may not be their choice. The Lexus and FX may be thier choice. As for me BMW's are superior, the XDrive has gotten nothing by=ut phenomenal reviews, the Panoramic sunroof is remarkable and frankly, there's just something about the double kidney grill that Bimmer lovers just like.

Also, there are very high end, high quality dash real wood trim sets for $300 or so available. I am certain that that investment will totally change this critical comment and create a more plush feal. That's what I plan to do in March when I purchase my X3. Nuff said.
  • harplayrharplayr Member Posts: 70
    Yes, the interior has been discussed here in detail, and bottom line is to go with what you like and what is important to you. There are many options in the SUV segment.

For myself, I happen to like the more “rugged” interior of the X3 vs. the more “plush” interior of the Lexus and some others. I put the X3 through some hard use like my large dog, skiing, construction sites and biking. I would be terrified to use a Lexus like I do my X3. Above all else, handling and X-Drive were critical in my choice to by the X3. I just plain enjoyed driving it more and felt safer.

I don’t knock Lexus owners (my sister-in-law has one and loves it), as it targets a different demographic, and is a quality vehicle in its own rite. Just not for me.
    Lexus would put a decent AWD system, rear torque biased of course, in the RX330, say a clone of the one BMW uses.

Or even the one from the Ford FreeStyle.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    On the transmission replacement, I'm convinced that dealers often replace them when they are simply too lazy or incompetent to debug minor problems. I also think they use large jobs like this as a load-leveler when their warranty work is slack. I can find no other explanation for why they fight against doing some warranty repairs tooth/nail, but then suggest unneeded repairs on a visit a month or two later.

Example: I brought my ML320 to the local MB dealer complaining that it was difficult to get it to kick-down to the lowest gear in some situations. I'm pretty sure that they simply needed to fix/replace the kickdown switcn on the gas pedal linkage - I could feel that it was sticky and reluctant to make contact through my foot.

They called back a day later saying that they couldn't get the transmission to show "acceptable numbers in their computer" and it needed total replacement. It happened under warranty, so it was free, but except for this minor problem it was performing flawlessly. In fact, the new transmission doesn't shift as smoothy.

- Mark
    In BMW's case.. they have to call BMWNA and get their opinion on just about any covered repair..and approval for anything major.. So, I doubt it is laziness on their part... I do know that BMWNA does not want them tearing down a transmission for diagnosis.. Many $100s in labor costs.. and then still have to pay for a replacement..

Honda replaced the transmission in our '01 Accord as well.. I really think it is the manufacturer that pushes it..

Our BMW was in for the service-engine-soon light.. No apparent problems.. no fault codes showing.. They replaced the mass airflow sensor.. I noticed on the service paperwork, that they had called BMWNA, who recommended the replacement.. I guess if they can't find anything wrong, then the sensor that reports the fault is just assumed to be the culprit..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx, you are correct about them having to call (in this case email) BMWNA. When I picked up the X3 yesterday, the service guy said "problem solved." I was in a hurry, so I did not have time to question him, but I got the distinct feeling they had (at least through BMWNA) identified a problem even though they had earlier said they could not duplicate it.

In the end, they treated me very well. Provided me a brand new loaner for four days. I now have my X3 back, and it drives like a dream.
  • sactokennsactokenn Member Posts: 3
    I hope other X3 owners with DSP can help me. Are you able to retain different DSP settings for different sources? The owner's manual says you can, but my car won't do this. I want DSP off for radio but on for CD; but when I change the setting, it changes it for all sources.

I had the dealer look at this, and they told me they fixed the problem (said a key setting had been turned off, and they turned it back on). But this didn't fix the problem, and when I called them back on it, they told me the owner's manual was wrong and you couldn't save different DSP settings. By the way, the owner's manual says you can also save different bass and treble settings, and I am able to do this.

This isn't a huge issue, but it's just kind of a pain to have to manually change the settings, since you have to go through so many button pushes to change DSP. I'll probably end up leaving it off, if I can't save the settings.

Thanks.
  • emersongsemersongs Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know if you can special order the X-3 with sport seats, but WITHOUT the sport suspension?? Bad back...need the support, but do not want the more harsh ride. Any other seat suggestions, i.e. Recarro orthopod retrofit, etc.? Thanks! Also, best price over invoice on a 2005? $1000 should do it this time of year, but I haven't seen a post.
  • enjoyenjoy Member Posts: 1
    Iam a satisfied owner of an X-3w/a 3.0 ltr. without a sport pkg - I have a BACK problem and was not comfortable with a std interior - I purchased a premium pkg that comes with Leather

and FULL LOMBAR SUPPORT ONLY WITH THE 3 LTR. THIS SUPPORT IS NOT A WHEEL ADJ. IT IS OF THE AIR BLADDER TYPE - this was in the 04 that we own it was standard in the two front leather seats - it is the perfect solution for ME, my wife complains that the adj. that I made was not good for her so I simply re-adj. her seat - the adjustment is not easy it appears to work on the

curvature of your spine at 4 points you can increase or decrease the pressure - takes some

work to get it rite I am a happy camper at this

point. the instructions are in the book it takes some work. also make sure that it still comes with the 05's . Good luck.
  • emersongsemersongs Member Posts: 25
    Thanks, I appreciate the input. I really like the additional pelvis support (sides) of the sport seat, but perhaps the inflatable lumbar will do the trick. BMW's (I have an X-5), tilt rearward and all you can do is lower front of cushion. Ideal posture is to have the back part of the lower cushion, slightly higher than the front. I'm also looking into having a custom auto upholsterer, retro my existing OR new seat if I go with the 05 X-3. Great handling with the same engine and tranny of my X-5, but 700lbs lighter...wow!
    Folks, I was wondering if there was anything I should do to the x3, if i am going to be out of town for a few weeks.. it will be sitting in the garage, otherwise, but anything special that needs to be done?