Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• jeff33jeff33 Member Posts: 22
    I recently started using the BMW Visa to purchase my gasoline, as the points are supposed to be doubled for this use. Can someone tell me if there is a catalog of merchandise or a website I should access to see what is available? Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Our long term X3:

"Immediately staff members began to rave about the X3's quick responses; its substantial feeling on the road, which is unusual for such a small vehicle; and its gutsy inline-six engine"

Long-Term Test: 2005 BMW X3

Steve, Host
  • adjokuzadjokuz Member Posts: 3
    I need some help. I'm buying a new 2.5 X3 today or tomorrow. I have two options:

Option 1: MSRP on this is $30,300. With automatic trans, moonroof, heated front seats and privacy glass, plus all fees, suggested price is $34,470.

Option 2: MSRP is $30,300. With automatic trans, moonroof, foglights, xenon headlights, on-board computer, navigation system and privacy glass, plus all fees, suggested price is $37,205.

A few questions: 1. How much can I reasonably get each car for? 2. The 7% profit that is made on cars - is it from MSRP or suggested price?

(I'm trading in my old BMW for this, but will negotiate a separate price for that. Just want to know the facts on straight buying first.)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please don't post the same message in multiple discussions. Thanks.

tidester, host
  • adjokuzadjokuz Member Posts: 3
    sorry. had some problems.
  • trader_tomtrader_tom Member Posts: 25
    Hi All,

I think I have identified a small weakness in my X3. To update, my 3.0i is now 6 months old with 7800 miles. It has not been to the dealer since purchase, and has done most of everything I have asked it to do. However, the performance of the Pirelli STR tires in snow can be a bit troubling. Driving on snow covered roads seems to make the DSC work overtime. I don't mind this so much, but in deeper snow (>3") the tires pack up easily which makes the entire car shift sideways when launching. This can be a little nerveracking if you are trying to start off on a hill, or in places where deep shoulders are right next to the road.

It's not much of a problem really, but it could easily be cured by a set of snow tires. Has anyone purchased snow tires for their X3? What kind did you choose, and what wheels did you use? Also, are there any other other tire/wheel combinations that can be used without compromising the car or warranty?

Other than this, the tires are fabulous on dry and wet pavement. The X3 in general has been great, even while trailering for several hundred miles. Gas mileage is still pretty good. If I take it easy I average about 21, while if I drive it a little harder it drops to about 19. Since winter hit, mileage has dropped about 1 mpg on average.

No squeaks !!!! (mine is sans moonroof)

Thanks,

Tom
  • scotth6scotth6 Member Posts: 43
    I have almost 14,000 miles and will be going in for my first service within 3 weeks. This vehicle has never been back to the dealer yet in a year and I can not say that for any other vehicle I have ever bought. My only complaint is gas milage of about 16.5 to 17 around town but it does very well on the highway at about 24 mpg.

I have the sport package and it handles great. My wife thought we had run flat tires but it does not but she ran one when it was flat so $300 for a new Dunlop Sport 01.
  • ski2ski2 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a X-3 in July 04 and took European delivery. Traveled for 3 weeks thru 5 country's and experienced the same howling noise at 70mph like someone blowing across the top of a bottle. I called Munich ,where we accepted delivery, and they said that they made note of it and to discuss the issue with our dealer Stateside. The dealers service department claimed no knowledge of such a problem and furthermore would not road test the car because the problem occurred above the states (NJ) speed limit !! I at times do 70mph and this problem definitely exists. My next step is to work through the Owners Circle. All other aspects of this car meet my expectations. TX Ski2
  • ashley1ashley1 Member Posts: 2
    I recently test drove the X3 and am interested in purchasing one! The dealer said that they did not have any special financing options and were selling the X3 close to the sticker at this point. Of course, I realize that all dealers are going to tell you this......but can anyone tell me when the best time to purchase is? Does BMW have any special financing or discounts during the year? I am in the Houston area.....

Thanks!!!!
  • jeffkieljeffkiel Member Posts: 48
    YMMV, but I bought mine 2 weeks ago for 1k over invoice (3.0, pp, h-seats, h-s-wheel, xenons, sat prep).
  • eandlcubedeandlcubed Member Posts: 78
    does anyone know if 3 carseats fit in the back. i have a britax front facing, one booster without the back, and the same booster with its back. i haven't have any time to actually going to the dealer to try them on. i know these three seats will fit in an impala. any thought? thanks
  • lwsimon99lwsimon99 Member Posts: 2
    Just to confirm...I brought back 2 BMWs from Germany to the States and the warranty DOES rollover to the U.S. 4yr/50K miles deal. No worries...I've had mine in for some routine stuff and it was in the system. Just make sure you register it with BMWNA before you come back.
  • lwsimon99lwsimon99 Member Posts: 2
    Just had my '04 X3 into the dealer for a leak...turned out to be the steering system (not the best thing to have leaking). They kept it for about a week awaiting parts, since the vehicle is so new (according to them). Anyway, just noticed that it is still leaking...anyone else experienced a leaky steering unit??
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    ashley1... jeffkiel got a good deal, and that shouldn't be too hard to achieve..

You can look up invoice prices here on Edmunds or on KBB.. Or, figure about $2000-$2500 off MSRP..

The better value is the 3.0 model... They have made automatic and moonroof standard without any corresponding increase in price...

Check out the X3-prices paid forum..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kewilpeekewilpee Member Posts: 15
    It has been 2 long months but my 3.0 will be built next week, got the VIN# today, so time to go to the bank and settle-up with the dealer. NLT 2 wks delivery time from Graz Austria to Kaiserslautern Germany, and I will be rolling hopefully by 4 Mar.

I will be getting the the following dealer installed options: chrome exhaust tips, alarm, side running boards, european Nav DVD, roof railing cross pieces, and matching roof box. Anyone have any tips on taking delivery, a cheat sheet, list of the key coding options

Thanks

Kewilpee
  • ab1ab1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

I got my X3 3.0, no options last December.

Sorry for the long post. I am just too frustrated.

So far I noticed these quality issues:

1- Washers for rear and front wipers were switched. Washing rear window when wiping the front. I want to the dealer, and it was a matter of flipping two wires. But the fact the BMW did not check for such thing before shipping the vehicle is alarming.

2- When I roll up or down any window, another one opens at the same time. Ex. if I roll up the driver's window, the driver's window goes up, and the rear right passenger's window goes down. This is very alarming if this happened without me noticing. A car wash can end up as a nightmare if you coming in unaware that one of your windows is open.

3- I hear a cracking sound when pressing or releasing the brakes at low speed. The sales person told me that was because the car was new and it will go away when it breaks in, but it still has the same problem.

4- The remote keyless entry does not work all the time. I could not find a pattern. When I first bought the car, the dealer said it was because we were too close to their building, and said something about having special devices that are affecting it. I did not buy what he said, but I thought that the keys might not have been charged. It has been two months now, and both keys are well charged. And the problem still comes up every now and then. I could not detect a pattern to report it to the dealer yet.

5- After a car wash, it seems that water leaks inside the door. Even after the car dries out, if i roll down the windows and roll them back up, they come out wet.

Other than these issues, the car is fun to drive. The handling is awesome. It has been making 15.1 mpg in town roads. I do not speed or push the car hard when starting at traffic lights. Usually driving 40-45 mph. Average speed is 30mph.

Overall, I am very disappointed with BMW, I am not fan nor am I a foe for BMW. I was only looking for a good car. I was willing to pay a premium for that, but I don't think I got what I payed for.

These wiring issues are not too big a deal. But what I am afraid of is if I have a crash on the driver side. I do not want to right passenger airbags to deploy instead.

That was my first BMW, and it is could be my last.
  • ashley1ashley1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice!
  • dbthdbth Member Posts: 9
    I am interested in a new x3 with navigation.It appears that in my initial search that most x3 are shipped without the navigation.My preference is White with Terracotta leather, premium and cold weather and the navigation.Will I have to special order and if so , is the european delivery the way to go?

Also any feedback or experience with the ipod interface.

On pricing I have seen $399 lease with $2500 down advertised for 3.0 with premium and cold weather package(Manhattan BMW which is corporate owned).I currently driving a 98 528 (original owner)and have not shopped for a car in quite some time and any help is greatly appreciated!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out BMW X3: Prices Paid & Buying Experience too.

Steve, Host
  • konichiwakonichiwa Member Posts: 2
    I am so sorry and surprised to hear about your experience with the X3.

I bought my 05 2005 X3 3.0 in January and have had the best buying, driving, quality, engineering experience I have every had with any car. It is just outstanding!

I hope BMW makes this right with you. Don't give up on BMW...
  • konichiwakonichiwa Member Posts: 2
    Amen! They are expensive, but to get the best value in the X3, get the 3.0. You get more features for the buck. I agree with you though... when spending this much for a car, thrifty is not in the vocab....get the options you want! If you can't afford the fuel, get a less expensive car to begin with.
  • fiddellfiddell Member Posts: 9
    I had a problem with noise but they did not fix it to my satisfaction. To really not hear the noise I have to have the radio on or close the sun roof visor. The latest problems I have with my X3 is the passenger window motor and the passenger air bag sensor. The window would go up and down after I pressed the button for it to go up. The air bag deactivated light stays on even with a 250 pound man in the seat. Am I the only on with quality control issues? I know it's the first model year, but aren't these technologies in other vehicles as well?
  • njdriver1njdriver1 Member Posts: 97
    Hi Board: six months and 6,000 miles in, and a very odd thing happened: picked up the car at the garage and it was vibrating wildly. Like bad timing and uneven idle. Drove a few blocks, pulled over, turned the car off and re-started, and it went away.

I wouldn't have thought anything of it, except the garage attendant said they noticed the same problem on someone else's. Not a good vibration.
  • alaskan_otteralaskan_otter Member Posts: 28
    My 2004 just rolled over to 10,000 miles...and the moment it did, I noticed the passenger side airbag light is still on even though there is a passenger in the seat. I played with the buckle. It went out. Then the red airbag indicator on the dash display now stays on all the time.

Here's the deal. This is probably an annoying sensor malfunction. BUT how am I supposed to be confident in other sensors that pertain to the advanced X-drive systems, the Hill descent system etc if something as innocuous as the air bag lights are screwing up already???!!!

I read where "fiddell" has had the same problem. What has been the solution so far?
  • pipopipo Member Posts: 36
    I also had the Pirellis on my X3, and purchased a set of Dunlop M3s that I had mounted on the original rims. I live in rural Massachusetts, so I consider snow tires a must in the winter.

The M3s are excellent in the snow, and their driving characteristics in all other conditions are also very good, especially considering that they are snow tires.

Responsiveness, dry and wet grip, resistance to hydroplaning: all excellent. Ride comfort: at least as good as the Pirellis. Highly recommended.
    Fiddell, you are not the only one with QC issues, please see my post above.
  • bmwnabmwna Member Posts: 32
    I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m sorry to read about these problems with your X3. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200504900419 so that we can help you more efficiently.
  • jonathanx3jonathanx3 Member Posts: 4
    Since purchasing my X3 last fall, I have jet been able to open the sunroof while driving. The glass in the sunroof rattled and vibrates so badly, that it sounds like the glass is going to either fall out or shatter at any moment. I have to always close the sunroof and just open the ventilation for satisfaction. I have been meaning to it in for a checkup, but as of yet, haven't had time. Also, the sunroof shade/cover rattles and makes an annoying noise when opened all the way, as if it is banging on something while I'm driving. The rattles and noises in my X3 almost drive me insane sometimes. I also have a creak underneath the driver's seat. Has anyone else noticed the sunroof glass problem, or the other creaks? If so, what did you do about it? Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The BMW X3 is made at a non-BMW factory in Austria. What a joke!

The black bumpers SCREAM cheapo.
  • jeff33jeff33 Member Posts: 22
    Dear xkss: Your hatred of BMW's is easily seen. It is your prerogative. Your definition of a joke, and your opinion on bumpers, however, are not facts, but opinions. To call them facts is incorrect. I'm sure what "facts" you know will be much better appreciated on the Pontiac (that quality machine!) talkboard. People buy what they like. This is already more than your posting is worth.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Magna Steyr in Graz is highly regarded and respected in the automotive supply industry and builds to the specifications of its clients. I recommend relegating one's political diatribes to a more suitable forum.

tidester, host
  • harplayrharplayr Member Posts: 70
    Here's some "Facts".
    I actually own a X3. After 1 year and 20,000 miles, it is a "Fact" that this has been the best built and most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. This includes the "German Built" 325I that I traded in.

As the great Joe Friday would say...Just the facts mam.
  • fiddellfiddell Member Posts: 9
    You must have a different X3 than I do. I have had many problems, noises and technical. I wish I were as lucky as you since I do enjoy driving mine when it's not at the dealer. I'm still waiting for my airbag sensor which is on national backorder. It's been 10 days and now I was told it won't be here until March 2nd. :(
  • m5x3m5x3 Member Posts: 23
    Well, our experience is the same as yours after 1 year and 12,000 miles. Our X3 is the most trouble free car we've bought, and the list includes 4 other BMWs and 3 Honda/Acura products.
    I have the same problem. I actually thought it was a design artifact, not a defect.

Has anybody been able to drive @50mph with the moonroof open without the rattling?
    I am not an expert, but EVERY suv that I have owned with a sunroof has this same issue. I think it has something to do with introducing standing waves since the air enters the car through the roof, hits the back door, has no where to go. You just need to crack the back windows slightly to give the air someplace to go and it stops.
  • slingshotslingshot Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to bother you, but I'm seriously considering buying an X3 3.0 and I'd like someone to tell me what fuel milage I can expect in city and highway driving from their actual experiences.

Appreciate your help.
  • whchanwhchan Member Posts: 5
    Hi Slingshot,

I have a X3 3.0 AT and following is a brief summary on fuel milage so far after ~3000 miles:

- 100% pure highway at ~65mph: 24.5mpg
    - 80% hwy: 19 mpg
    - 20% hwy: 15 mpg
  • x3mobilex3mobile Member Posts: 1
    Had our X3 3.0 about 5-6 months. Love the car except for one continuous problem. At least four to five times now the key or I should say either key will not unlock the doors. One time my wife had to climb through the rear hatch(the only door she could get to open manually with key) to unlock the front door. Dealer said it was an RF problem that BMW has not come up with a fix yet.
    This answer is just not acceptable. There must be a way to filter the interference? Anyone else with same problem?
    Did contact BMWNA yesterday waiting for reply.
    Appreciate any help.
    New to this forum hope this goes to the right place.
  • harplayrharplayr Member Posts: 70
    [quote]a little tidbit for the few of you that have experienced poor or no remote key operation.

Visit your dealer and tell them about your key problem and also tell them to look up BMW bulletin SI B 66 01 04 to cure the problem.[/quote]

This is from another board. I believe it involves changing the rear view mirror, and having the antenna for the remote there.

I have experienced occasional problems in very specific locations where the remote on the key doesn't work, however I was always able to manually lock/unlock the doors with the key.
  • corralcorral Member Posts: 58
    I have the same problem as do many other people. Is Bmw handeling you well or putting you off untill parts come in in several weeks?? Be cautious about putting a passenger in the front seat as there is a ? about weather or not the airbag will deploy at all. Bmw told me there is a system default that will deploy in any crash. But the light clearly claims pass airbag off. Read my posts 1548, and 1556 and 1621,1622,1623,1624. Let me know how it all works out.
  • heckp83heckp83 Member Posts: 4
    We just purchased our 2005 X3 3.0 last Sat.My wife seem to noticed a bumpier ride than the 01 Nissan Pathfinder we traded in (she drives the X3, I drive 330xi)We didn't take sport package.She kept insisting that the ride is so bumpy she has a headache and nausea after driving X3 from work.She drove my car a week before the X3 arrived and now compares the ride to my car which she likes much better, according to her a much smoother ride. Has anyone experience this?
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    That's just the way it was designed--all X3's have a very firm ride. Sport Package models can beat your teeth out over bumps. Didn't you ever read any revies of an X3?

I guess that's why people test drive cars--did your wife do that beforehand? There's no real problem with it, but compared to a Pathfinder or 3-series, I can see how the ride can seem a little hard, but it's just a characteristic of the design.
    Of course we test drove one, for some reason it was not noticeable probably because our focus was in to other things in the car.I saw previous posts regarding tire pressure helping to ease harsh drive.Will it?Other posts said drive (harsh)changes after few miles is put in the car.I have about 400 km right now.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    The X3 ride is definitely on the firm side, but also check your tire pressures if you haven't already. They're way overinflated at the factory to avoid flat spotting during transit to the dealer and it is common for this to be overlooked in pre-delivery inspection. (Which is a sad statement about how most dealers don't even bother with the most basic mechanical adjustments before delivering a car.)

I've had two new cars delivered to me with tire pressures nearly 20 psi too high.

- Mark
    We just came back from our dealer to test drive an X3 3.0 with 15,000km in it.It was a totally different car, smoother and not as stiff.Understandable because it is broken in.But the harshness of the drive I couldn't understand.Anyway we had the assistant shop foreman drove our car with us.He said that X3 are more sensitive to the road bumps anyway but he will definitely check the tire pressure and suspension for us when we get to the dealership,which he did.TIRE PRESSURE WERE UP TO THE MAX as Mark posted in #1717.They fixed that and we drove home. We're in a totally different car this time and a BMW which we always love. Thanks for all your input.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Glad this worked out. You've got a great SUV. I'd purchase a simple pencil tire-gauge at a local car parts store, put it in the glove box and use it once/month or so. Have fun,

- Mark
  • jonathanx3jonathanx3 Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, this is not the normal sound reverberations that a sunroof is prone to have, this is actually the glass slamming against itself when extended all the way back, not sure it's the same issue. I have experience the sound reverberations before with previous cars, not the same. Any other ideas? Anyone else experience this?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    My first thought, when I get in cars with massive, over-size sunroofs (The X3 and the MINI come to mind), is that it has to be extremely hard to have that much open space and glass, and not have rattle or alignment problems...

The roof is a major structural part of the car, that keeps the whole body together... Cutting that big of a hole, has to make it more likely to create problems...

That said, I wouldn't order either of those two cars without it.... I hear of lots of problems with the X3 sunroofs.. and, I'm not that surprised... Hope they can fix yours..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

NP. Sounds like a real issue, then. Mine is tight (except for the helicopter sound) so I would think you need to have the techs fix it up for you.