Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Maybe be a bad sensor somewhere. In my 92 the light would come on and go off. Dad took it to his friends boat shop where he had a computer that could read the codes. Came back BAD O2 sensor fixed that and never came back on again

Ryan
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    Several years ago, I bought a Ranger 4 cylinder, manual tranny, regular cab to drive from San Antonio to Austin--about 60 miles each way. Nice truck, but I wished I had a six cylinder, automatic and extended cab almost from the begining. Traded it in less than a year.

This past June, had to buy a new truck when my 1970 El Camino SS was rear-ended by a woman in a Nissan Maxima reading a billboard @ 50MPH instead of driving while I was sitting at a red light. Totaled a truck I had worked on for over two years to restore in the blink of an eye, and probably would have killed me if I didn't have my seat belt on. Ouch!

Remembered the Ranger experience and this time got a new 2000 S-10 with the V-6, automatic, extended cab with LS trim and all the bells and whistles. At the time, I bought the S-10 for three reasons; price, tow rating and I personally think the new Ranger interiors look as if they were designed by the same guy that did bus and subway interiors. The S-10 had some HUGE rebates at the time, and was rated to pull 5,200 pounds with the 4.3L engine. The Ranger was close in price and tow rating with the 4.0L engine, but couldn't find one--most dealers only ordered the 3.0L V-6 or the 4 cylinder.

Nearly seven months and about 10,000 miles later--WOW!!! Drives great, lots of punch off the line, QUIET, QUIET, QUIET cab, not a hint of trouble, and will haul or pull anything I've thrown at it so far, including my 24' travel trailer, 15 bags of concrete @ 80 lbs each (was overloaded but didn't have to go far and with the HD suspension, handled the load just fine).

I'm 6'3" and hate getting in most cars--feel like I have to fold up like a pocket knife to keep from hitting my head or knees. This thing is the most comfortable vehicle I've owned in years. My buddy at work owns a '96 Dodge Dakota. The first words out of his mouth when he rode in it was how much smoother and quieter it was than his Dodge.

If you don't absolutely need a full-size truck, BUY THE S-10!!! I will own mine for years, as long as that woman in the Maxima doesn't hit me again.

If my story doesn't convince you, then consider this...my truck has a higher TRADE-IN value right now than what I paid for it six months ago!
  • pepsterpepster Member Posts: 4
    Tallcat-Chevy s-10's are now available for 2001 in the crew cab. Picked mine up 3 weeks ago and I love it!
  • MarkJPetersonMarkJPeterson Member Posts: 5
    Pepster - Your the first person I've seen with a 2001 crew-cab. Would you mind commenting on a couple of points? I am VERY interested in buying one of the GM crews, but need some honest opinions from someone who already has driven on for more than a test drive.

Do you have a read on the highway mileage yet? Is the back seat really usable? I have two small kids, both in car seats, and would like to know whether you'd recommend this truck under those conditions (i.e. are there rear child-seat tether points available). Any problems yet?

My other choice is an Escape, but would rather go with the CC, for various reasons. Thanks.
    Mark
    I have not checked out the gas mileage yet. The back seat is the same size as the blazer. It is a standard size not small like jumper seats. Adults fit good but I have not taken it on a real long trip yet with an adult passenger in the rear. The adult passengers that did ride in it said they had enough room. For kids it is perfect. There are 2 shoulder strap type seat belts and one lap belt for a middle person. I am not sure about the tethers you are talking about since the kids I haul are 11 and 5, plus a golden retriever! People that have seen the back seat area are impressed with the amount of room it has.
    I would definitely look at one before you buy the escape. The only problem was that when it came in it did not have the middle lap belt for the rear passenger so had to wait a few days till they got another one in so they could get the belt out of that one. They did not want to order a belt without knowing what the part really was that they needed. Other than that there have been no problems. I am even getting a fiberglass lid put on in 2 days that I ordered. It is a great truck!
  • 9highrider79highrider7 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 GMC Sonoma Highrider. 39,000 miles. In the past week or two I've noticed two things. 1. After I drive for a couple miles it starts shifting into second gear really hard (its auto). 2. When I am getting on the highway or pulling out on a hill (any time i accelerate hard) the truck makes a screeching, scratching, vibrating noise for a couple seconds. It dosen't do this everytime, but enough to be noticed. We checked the U joint and that seems to be fine. If anyone has any idea what this may be please let me know. Thanks so much, Scotti
    Keep me (us) posted on your new CC (particularly the mileage -- you can e-mail me if you don't want to clutter up this forum, see my profile). I'm also interested to see if some of the problems I've seen posted for the '99/'00s appear to have been fixed (knocking when warm -- presumed to be the cam balancer?), or for that matter, if any new things have come up for '01.

Where did you go for the fiberglass cover? Is this an aftermarket, or GM? How much did this set you back (if you don't mind me asking)? I also want to check into the running boards myself, with the hope that it will ease my concern for the paint when knocking off snowy boots.

For what it's worth, my Dad has a '98 Sonoma, and aside from an uncanny ability to keep breaking the 3rd door handle, he's been quite satisfied with his choice. Another reason for me to look at the GM.
  • jlr52jlr52 Member Posts: 2
    I'm the not so proud owner of a 96 s-10 extra cab LS with 2.2 engine... After 61000K miles the head gasket leaked... I received a letter from Gm in My 2000 concerning this problem which included all 2.2 engines. in both the cavelier and the S-10... the dealer will fix the gasket but if the head is cracked like mine did, you will have to pay the 1200.00 to get it fixed... Has anyone else had this experience... the letter shows a date of MAY 2000 with a code of C00010
    The fiberglass lid was an after market purchase thru a local truck accessory retailer. GM was not currently making any tops for the crew cab. To see the lid go to 4are.com and click on new products. Of course the paint scheme is not the same. The price was just over $600 installed.

Other after market products are soon to be available if not already. Although most of the vehicle is similar to either the blazer or an extended cab. The chasis is the same as the extended cab.

Will let you know about gas mileage and hopefully there will not be any problems to report!
  • mathuzulamathuzula Member Posts: 4
    I have a new S-10 Crew Cab. I was one of the first here to have one in the east. I bought it because of my GM points. I generally like the vehicle. Good back seat and pretty good drive. But the gas Millage is unbelievable. I don't do city driving and get 10mgp. That's on small roads not going fast. On a freeway trip @ 65MPH I got 11.77. It's terrible. I knew it would be low but not like this. I like the truck and have a nice cap coming from Lear, But I need better millage. I guess that I am not the only one by reading these!
  • eddyveddyv Member Posts: 12
    I own a 97 s-10, ls, extended cab, 4.3l 5 speed. One thing I have noticed is that after I park it in my gargage and shot off the engine, right at the end of shotdown, there is a loud rattle that comes from the tranny area. So, I push the clutch in when I shut it down and the rattle doesn't occur. Anyone out there have similar sounds/issues? Other than that, exceptional truck. I only have 42000 on it. Comments welcome
    Somebody with a CC please tell me that there is something wrong with Mathuzula's truck (no offense intended "M"). I can't, with a clear conscience, buy a truck (no matter how much I want it) that gets 10 mpg! That's worse than my old '84 F150 4x4 with a 4 bbl. Holley got!

If this is the norm, I'm going to be forced to go for the Escape. I don't want to, I've got the GM points, as well as a supplier discount on GMs, not to mention my preference for a pickup over an SUV.

Please, somebody give me some hope!
  • k0hbk0hb Member Posts: 89
    I had an S10 XC with the 4.3L and it was pretty bad for such a small vehicle (about 15MPG), but 10MPG is REALLY bad!

Hans
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Here's the deal with Chevy: I'm the owner of a '96 S-10 2.2L, 5-sp. Yeh, yeh, I know it's different. But the bottom line is that Chevy will not stand behind their product unless you make them. They are pathetic! Believe me, I've tried. They will tell you that your mileage is "acceptable". Don't buy it. What you need to do is write a letter to the manager of the dealership explaining the situation. BE SURE TO COPY CHEVY CORPORATE/CONSUMER AFFAIRS. Otherwise, you are on your own and the next thing you know, you're out of warranty and they don't give a rat's (bleep)! I've only got 21K on mine and they turned their back on me. Kept on telling me that my mileage was acceptable. At best, I was getting 17!!! Let's see, the sticker that helped convince me to buy my S-10 said that it would get 23/29. The ranges were 19-26 city, 21-32 highway. If you'll notice, my mileage is below what they stated for the city range. And that is "acceptable".

Anyway, I digress... Make sure you document everything you do with the dealership and corporate (the number is in your booklet). Take it from me. I've had every problem mentioned on this board and others, but the lemon laws in my state (AZ) require me to have the same problem (not numerous problems) 5 or more times. How slanted is that in the dealers' favor? Document, document, document. And don't take no for an answer. Stay on them. And yes, 10 city and 11.5 highway is beyond pathetic! Good luck, Brutha!
  • 18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    I have a 1998 S-10 2WD 4CYL that is equipped with daytime running lights (DRLs) and automatic headlamps. I am smart enough to figure out when to turn on the headlights myself. Any info on how to disconnect the DRLs and the automatic headlights? I purchased the Haynes manual for S-10 trucks, blazer, etc but their wiring diagrams were of no help.
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Go to S-Series.org and go to the forums. They talk about how to fool the DRLs with a very cheap part and it appears safe. Good luck.
  • guru101guru101 Member Posts: 15
    The best way to disable the DRLs on a 98 or 99 S-10/Sonoma is to disable them right at the fuse block. This is an absolutely free method, and requires no parts.

All you have to do is pop the hood and locate the fuse relay box. It is on the driver's side, right next to the air cleaner assembly. Turn the thumb screw to free the cover and lift it up. On the inside of the cover you'll see a diagram of all the fuses and relays. One will be labeled DRL (in many cases it is the only black relay). Gently pull it out. There will be 5 pins on the bottom of the relay. Find the one labeled 87a and cut it off using wire cutters. Plug the relay back in. You're done.

I've noticed that on some of the newer S-10s GM changed the numbering system on the bottom of the DRL relay (the pins are labeled 1-5 now instead of 86, 87, 87a, etc). In this case all you have to do is pull another relay of the same size and compare to see which pin (1-5) corresponds to 87a. I think GM did this because people figured out which one to clip.

As a final note, you can't just remove the whole DRL relay. Otherwise, your left headlight won't work. Just cut off the one pin.
    Thanks for the info about the DRLs. I came across an unexpected problem. I live in PA (land of very high taxes) - it also has a strict annual inspection program. Learned that if a vehicle was equipped with DRLs from the factory, they must be operable when it is inspected, otherwise will fail inspection & cannot drive on the roads. I will modify my "fix" by getting another DRL module & clipping the pin off of it. When time to get the truck inspected, will simply switch out the modules. I checked on some auto parts web sites & they are not expensive. Thanks for your help.
  • dravodravo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 S-10 and this week the
    odometer turned 410,000 miles and I
    have had to fix nothing but items
    that come with normal wear and tear.
    I also have a 95 cavalier that is
    the biggest piece of junk that I
    have ever owned in my life.You name
    it I have had to fix it.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    with 410k on your S-10, when do you find time to drive the Cavalier? ;>
  • bjl5bjl5 Member Posts: 24
    Which engine and transmission are in the 93-S10 that has 410,000 miles with only normal wear repairs.What did you have to replace and what special care did you give it? How far between engine and trans. oil changes? You must be very easy on the drive train to go that far!
    Mark J Peterson
    I finally checked my mpg and I got 15 for city. That is exactly what the sticker states it should get so I am satisfied with that. I have not checked highway miles since I don't drive enough on them. I am not concerned about the low gas mileage since I don't drive that much anyway, roughly 4,000 miles/year. Of course that may change since I like this truck so much!
    Pepster,
    Thanks. I still haven't decided on which way to go yet (good thing I'm not planning anything until fall). Myself, I do 95% of my driving on the highway (or highway like -- I live in the sticks) and do about 20K per year. Even if I got 18 (as the sticker claims), that's a pretty big drop from the 30 I get in my '95 Sidekick. Decisions, decisions...
  • bjl5bjl5 Member Posts: 24
    bravo: You have not answered my question! What type and size engine do you have in your 93 S10 that went 410,000 miles with no major repairs. What is your secret?
  • slickracerslickracer Member Posts: 38
    I have a 1999 4x4 AS extended 4.3 automatic and my gas mileage averages between 20-22 mpg which I am very happy with. This S-10 is the best driving vehicle I have ever owned. The buckets seats are very comfortable and the third door is a great convenience. The only complaint I have is a noise in the engine under acceleration from 1,900 to 2,500 rams. My dealer does not have a fix for it and told me to keep my repair orders in case something goes wrong after warranty. Other people have told me the noise is coming from the front balance shaft bearing. I am soon getting my truck inspected, so I will have the dealer check it out. Other than that it is a great truck.
  • bigjonesbigjones Member Posts: 1
    Hello!

I was wondering which engine my s10 has. When it was purchased used, I was told it was the high output model. What type of power does this engine produce? Looking at other websites, the Z code TBI engine (according to the VIN number) looks like it only has 155hp and 235 ft/lbs of torque. Is this the high output engine??? Also, like another user, the tranny or engine rattles when it is shut off. If I depress the clutch and turn it off, the noise doesn't occur...any suggestions? Mine has 115k miles and runs well, around 22-23mpg on the highway with AC blasting at 80mph. The truck seems to be one of the best ones that I've owned.

BJ
    I have a 98 S10 4CYL 2WD reg. cab & am having problems with the drivers door not always latching completely when closed. Sometimes it really acts up & other times it is OK. Every once in a while, the door will jump from completely latched to the "outer latch" while driving (fortunately has not happened at high speeds). I spoke with a friend who owns a 99 S10 with similar door problems. Any ideas what causes this or how to fix it? Any help would be appreciated. After reading some reviews of other trucks, I am really disappointed with Chevy's (lack of) build quality.
  • skyhawk3skyhawk3 Member Posts: 42
    I have a 96 4.3V6 5 spd 2wd. I want to convert to dual exhaust from the cat back. Has anyone done this and did you have to relocate the spare tire?
    Regarding mileage, around towm 19+ highway 23+. One time on the highway I drove at 55 to 60 for a full tank and averaged 27mpg. Winter gas (RI) always causes a drop in mileage on all my vehicles. My truck has been virtually maintenance free except for the recalls.
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    I just wanted to post a quick review of my 98 S10 LS pickup.
    I leased this truck in April of 98. It now has 31,800 mi on it and in my opinion does not run any different from the first day I drove it.
    The only problem I have had with it was a clunking noise under hard acceleration. This occurred at about 8k mi. The dealer said the heater core was not installed properly so they replaced it and the noise went away.
    I just replaced the front brake pads this past weekend because they were just starting to squeak.
    They still had 1/8 in of pad left which is as low as I will let a pad get.
    I was pretty impressed at getting that much use out of a set of front pads. Usually you only get about 20k mi.
    My specific likes about the truck are as follows:
    Smooth running engine, fairly comfortable seats, excellent sound system came with the truck, split sun visor set up, always on running lights, automatic head lights, decent gas mileage (23mpg), excellent visibility with the large side mirrors, excellent tread life on the goodyear tires that came with the truck (1/4 in tread left to wear markers after 31,800 mi).

My dislikes are:
    Slight jerkiness when shifting between 1st and 2nd gear when cold. Easily loses traction on wet surfaces due to being rear wheel drive. Not quit enough storage room inside the cab (king cab would have been a better buy).

Overall I have been happy with this vehicle and would recommend it to anyone.

I have always been a chrysler owner in the past but I expect my next vehicle to be another chevrolet (either a malibu or impala).
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Member Posts: 172
    I have a 1993 S-10 Tahoe pickup which i love. it just rolled over 101k and i am going to see if it will go another 100k...i love it!
    i need a catback exhaust since the old one has a hole in it...any tips? and also, it has Throttle Body Injection. whats the diff tween that and fuel injection? can you explain? and can i get a FI engine for it later and install it with minimum effort? thanks.
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    TBI is like a carb, but instead of the carb there are (usually) 2 fuel injectors that replace the carb.

Port injection uses one fuel injector for every cylinder, and sometimes 2 with a DOHC setup.
  • the5carthe5car Member Posts: 26
    "I was pretty impressed at getting that much use out of a set of front pads. Usually you only get about 20k mi."

Only 20k ??? If I only got 20,000 miles out of
    a set of brake pads, I'd be highly upset!!!

Last time I checked, most pads come with metal
    tabs that begin to rub against the rotors and
    cause a screeching sound which indicates that
    the pads need replacing. I've got almost
    128,000 miles on my factory pads, and they're
    still in good shape. I plan to replace all
    the pads/linings once the weather warms up...

I changed the pads on my wife's '97 Plymouth
    Breeze at 75k, and they were fine, too. And
    that's a front wheel drive car, with an automatic
    transmission, which I would suspect to be harder on
    front brakes than a rear-wheel drive, 5-speed
    truck that weighs about 800 pounds less...

Preventive maintenance is one thing, but I think
    you might have gone a little too much on the
    safe side with your brake service...JMO...
    128k mi on a set of front disk pads seems a little high. But I'll take your word for it.

I would guess that must be all highway miles since mine was all city.

The pads I had did have the little tabs that start screeching when they hit the rotors.

I had just started to hear that and that is why I checked the pads.

I have never heard of anyone getting more than 30k out of a set of front pads on a new vehicle.

I have achieved more life out of semi metallic replacement pads.(but they do cause more wear on the rotors)

I have always seen that the rear shoes on drum brakes consistently get over 100k before they need changing.

I don't think changing pads at 1/8 in, that were originally 3/4 in thick when new, is being overly safe. I guess if you want to wait until the rivets dig into the rotors then that is up to you.

I don't make a habit of relying on the metal tabs to squeal because they don't always work.

Having to replace rotors in the past has shown me that.

And in case your now thinking that I must ride my brakes (2 foot driving), that is not the case and never has been.

After having driven for over 25 years and doing all my own repair work (except for re building transmissions) I kinda feel that I know a little about proper maintainance on a car.

The following is an excerpt from an article written by a Volvo service manager.

"Exceptional brake wear on a BMW or Volvo is 20,000 to 30,000 miles with 10,000 to 15,000 miles being very common."

Bottom line is that brake life depends on the driving conditions and pad material. The more stop and go and the softer the material the shorter the life of the pad. (these pads will also be quiter and have a lot of dust which is typical of original equipment brakes)

Go to the link below for a decent article on brake materials from MotorAge Magazine.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m3102/9_118/55851484/p1/article.jhtml?term=

One more side comment.

A 97 plymouth breeze has a curb weight of about 2900 lbs.
    A 98 Chevy S10 weighs in at about 3100 lbs.

Where is this 800 lbs you are referring to.

The truck is also an automatic not a standard.
    If I told you where the 800 lbs came from, my
    wife would shoot me !!! (actually, she drives
    a four-person car pool everyday...)

Yes, almost all of my miles are on the highway.
    And I do take advantage of downshifting when I
    am decelerating, which should increase brake
    pad life.

It's been my experience that rear brake linings
    can last twice as long as front pads, but this
    isn't always the case, because the rear shoes
    wore out on my wife's car before the front pads
    did...

I too have been driving and servicing my own
    vehicles since 1973. And driving style does
    make a difference with the way any part performs,
    not just brakes. I drove a 1974 Camaro for so
    long that I began to baby it, and that driving
    style has continued with me to this day. I don't
    have to be the first car off the line at a red
    light, I don't have to be the first car in line
    on a two lane road, and I don't have to worry
    about being 5 minutes late to work because I
    have a 3 and 1/2 hour arrival window.

I also owned a 1989 Mazda B2200 that I put over
    225,000 miles on, all with the same clutch. I've
    had good luck with all of my vehicles so far, and
    this S-10 I have has been OK by me, too.

By no means did I want to come across like I was
    insulting your experience or intelligence...it
    still strikes me as strange that front pads need
    to replaced as often as windshield wipers...we
    obviously have differing opinions on this topic,
    as well as different experiences...

I've never worn a pad/lining down to the rivets,
    and I've also never had to have a drum or rotor
    replaced on any car that I or my wife has driven.

I also think that resurfacing both drums and
    rotors is simply a way for repair shops to make
    an easy buck, because many of them will do all
    they can to convince you that the part is out
    of spec and must be replaced.

Good luck with your truck. And after all of this
    discussion, thanks for sharing your brake life
    experience with us/me...I think I'll go have
    another look at my brake pads sooner than later...
    Just for kicks, I went to s-series.org and poked
    around in their forum looking for any comments
    related to brakes....some mentioned the lack of
    mileage they received, but one person posted
    almost the same results that I did...105,000
    miles with a manual transmission....so, as I
    hope we both can agree, it's not what you drive,
    it's how it's driven...
  • danf1964danf1964 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 S-10 sports the V-6 4.3L 4-speed auto, in an Extended cab LS edition, 3.42 axle ratio. Mileage stated on the sticker is 17 City, 22 Highway. Full range is stated as 14-26mpg. Thus far on the 4 tanks of gas used, I have gotten 17.1, 17.3, 18.8, 16.8mpg. 90% of my driving is in the city. So I am thus far pleased with the MPG. Now here is where I have a complaint. Supposedly I have a 19 gallon tank, yet after consuming just 12 gallons of gas my LOW FUEL light comes on. Is it possible my truck was built with the wrong/smaller tank? I think a range of approximately 220 miles per tank is pittiful. I am tempted to run the tank out to see how much fuel it will take. Is anyone else having this problem? Is it a gas guage problem?
  • rgl5764rgl5764 Member Posts: 2
    I was considering purchasing a 1994 Chev S10 with a 2.2L 4cyl engine and an automatic transmission. Since 1994 was the very first model year for the new style S10 I was wondering if this vechicle is a reliability risk. I would appreciate any opinions.
    Try researhing Edmund's own records here:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1994/chevrolet/
    My wife and I both drive S-10s. I have 38k miles on my manual, and the wife has 34k on her auto (mostly city driving for both). Both trucks have the original front brake pads, and there is still some usable life left. I should at least get into the 45k+ range with mine, while hers is a lease that goes back in a few months so I'll never know how long they'll last.

However, a co-worker of mine only got 20k out of his brake pads on his 99 S-10.

I think driving style makes all the difference.
  • dm1783dm1783 Member Posts: 1
    My truck looks like new, drives like new, and i love it... ill never sell it. the mielage is 135,000, and the engine runs smooth as new. everything works, although i would prefer the 4.3 rather than the current 2.8 5 speed that i have.
    i put 3,000 miles a month on it and if you keep up the maintenance you should have no problem with getting over 200k on it. ive never owned a chevy before this, ive had mazda and ford trucks, ill never change again. this summer i plan on buying a 2001 model 4.3 liter and keeping the one i have.
  • edwin76edwin76 Member Posts: 2
    I own a'99 S-10 extended cab with the 4 cyl/5 speed tarns. Overall, I'm very satisfied - having had one other S-10 (an '82 with the 2.8 V-6 and 4 speed - yes, 4 speed.... they hadn't come out with a 5 speed yet when I bought it!)
    The 82 gave me better gas mileage - go figure!, but I like the nicer interior (LS) in the 99.
    The only GRIPE I have with it is these automatic headlights combined with daytime running lights - there's no way to shut them off at night without turning the ignition (and the engine) off. I'm sure there's a way to get around this little "feature" - but I haven't found it yet.

As far as the traction problem goes - I just buy several sacks of sand and leave them in the bed during the winter months! (my first aftermarket purchase was a bed liner!)
  • dcnbilldcnbill Member Posts: 1
    1. Anybody using Slick 50 or any other teflon additives? If so, what have you experienced?
    2. Is there any other relatively inexpensive changes that can be made to the 4.3l V-6 for better mileage and performance? I'm looking at K&N filter, new plugs etc.
    3. Is there a speed limiter on this engine? I hope not. If there is, is there anyway around it? I told a friend that owns an 01 Maxima that I was going to blow his doors of at the track :).
    Enough questions, now my experience.
    I purchased a 99 S-10 ext. cab, V6, 5spd, 3rd door, LS trim. I've always wanted a sport truck. I love the power and feel the truck has. I traded in my 95 Sonoma 4cyl. This truck had its problems (head gasket leak, lifters rattling al the time, and hesitation in lower part of power band) but I still loved to drive it. I replaced the head and gasket hoping to kill two birds with one stone, but no such luck. It did get great gas mileage (26-29 mpg highway) but no power in 5th with the AC on.
    Thanks in advance.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    Check out www.zr2.com or go to sseriesforum.com there are lots of topics for almost anything you'd like to know.

John
  • spacecadetspacecadet Member Posts: 4
    After reading through a couple of messages, I see that the S-10 seems to have a positive review.
    From my own experience, I own a 97 S-10 extended cab 4X4 LS trim, with the 262ci V6 vortec engine and auto trans. The truck is mainly stock. I get between 10-15 M.P.G. while 95% of my driving is city. The trucks curb weight is about 3700lbs., though it looks alot lighter. I average about 15-25K on the front pads, which isn't too bad and from what alot of people tell me it rides alot smoother than the Ford or Dodge mini pickup's. I due plan to change over the exhaust, intake, ignition, and a couple of other pieces that I can't quite remember at this time.
    In response to edwin76, shutting off the daytime running lamps is a matter of pulling a fuse, as far as the auto lights, Im not sure because I don't have that problem with the 97, but it can probably be resolved the same way.
    In response to dcnbill from my own personal experience, engine additives are a bad idea unless your looking to clean something out, other wise stick to a high quality motor oil. For a faster truck, power usally comes with a big price. How deep is your wallet? Speed limiter can removed or at least brought up using the HYPERTECH POWER PROGRAMER which just plugs right into the service port under the dash. This little item carries a price tag between $300-$350 depending on where you pick it up. It also has a bunch of other little nifty settings that can improve mileage and performance, check it out!
    Any way gotta go for now, be post'in later!!!
    Here are my answeres to your questions

1. I use slick 50 and Mobil 1 synthetic. I haven't noticed any differences, but if nothing else slick 50 offers a free 100,000 mile engine warranty.

2. There really is no such thing as cheap horsepower. K&N is your best bet. You could also get a lower temp thermostat or platinum spark plugs & wires. After that, you could go the after-cat exhaust route or the Hypertech programmer route, but now your talking hundreds of dollars.

3. The speed should be limited to 95mph. Hypertech programmer can defeat this limit.
  • bsinglebsingle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 4WD 2-door and I wonder if 31 X 10.50's will fit on it? Anyone have ideas? My rims are just the stock rims that come with the newer blazers...they are not "deep" and they are 15" rims. Any help is appreciated.

Brad
  • siebecwsiebecw Member Posts: 3
    Ya the guy that sold me my S-10 said he got 25 mpg. I checked it and found it to be 21.8 after four consective trys in the winter. All 55-60m/hr driving. I can't believe you got 27!!!
  • nubira1nubira1 Member Posts: 13
    I am a new owner of a S-10 ZR-2. I have had it for about a week. Does anyone have a problem with the gas gauge going down quickly and then going back up? This is also on fairly level ground. It seemed to happen at a quarter tank. I love the truck so far. I have always been a Ford person so this is a strange time for me but, the S-10 has the look that I wanted in the ZR-2. As far as the problem, am I just looking for a problem?
  • jim4444jim4444 Member Posts: 124
    Yes theres a govenor at 99 mph. Get the Hypertech reprogrammer to raise your top speed, you can also "supertune" with it.

Try an exhaust system like cat back or headers for more power.

Hope you have posi!!
This discussion has been closed.