Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• jeffkieljeffkiel Member Posts: 48
    True, most cars do not need premium, but the BMW 6 is a high compression engine which does perform better wth premium (both HP and MPG).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's another thread on the premium issue that I enjoyed:

elias, "Karl's Daily Log Book" #1906, 18 Sep 2005 11:47 am

Steve, Host
  • rgottheimrgottheim Member Posts: 7
    Steve - Thanks for the link. Extremely helpful. I will make sure that I fill up with 91 or better in my X3.
    I am having a high pitched buzz coming from somewhere in the dash that I was wondering if anyone else experienced. Seems to happen mostly in the mornings, but it has happened in the afternoon, and only when I am going 70+, interstates obviously. It also seems to be wind related as on calmer days it doesn't make the sound. It really sound like wind going past a small gap and one side of the gap is vibrating at high frequency, making the buzz. I almost think it is in the cabin air filter path, as it seems logical for a outside-in wind path.

Anyone?
  • pdxx3driverpdxx3driver Member Posts: 2
    After a recent repair to the my 2005 X3 a lock nut lossened and came off the front strut of the vechicle causing me to loose complete control of the car. Has anyone experienced a simular failure. The only indication that I had prior was a slight knocking noice in the front of the car.

There is not a cotter pin to prevent this from happening.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    If a "lock nut" was in fact designated to be used in that particular application the repair shop should have used a new one. Just exactly which nut backed off?
  • pdxx3driverpdxx3driver Member Posts: 2
    The repair shop was BMW and it was brand new, it was the front passenger strut the right wheel disengaged, causing me to loose complete ability to steer. All work on the car has been done directly at BMW . :sick:
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I still need to know WHICH nut loosened; there are several which mount on the strut. In any event, if the nuts were torqued properly they will not come loose- hence there is no need for a cotter pin.
  • bmwbob277bmwbob277 Member Posts: 15
    I didn't have the sun roof closed completly. I too had the same noise. Now it's gone.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Has there been a higher than usual prevalence of squeaks and rattles, and wind noise from the larger-than-normal moonroof on the X3?
  • motorcity3motorcity3 Member Posts: 72
    Hello everyone. I have a quick question on cleaning leatherette seats. I have this stain on one of the seats on our '05 X3. For some reason I can't get the stain off it. It has a white-ish color (and that's why I can easily see it on the black seats). I don't remember what it was from, most likely spilled milk from my 17-month old's cup. I have tried light soap and water and it is not coming off. I am not sure if the stain is still there or it has discolored that section of the seat and that's why I keep seeing the white-ish stain.

Any ideas or any good cleaning products I can try? Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a Cleaning Leather/Cloth Interiors discussion over on Maintenance & Repair that you can browse too.

Steve, Host
  • jedjed Member Posts: 24
    Maybe this has already been covered to your satisfaction, but if you look at message 1291 by Jimbob you'll find reference to a dealer fix for the door creaking. I added message 1526 after we had the "fix" done at the dealer and so far so good. It may be something that needs to be repeated periodically. Good luck with your car, we're very happy with ours.
    Thanks for the reply! I will check it again, but I have opened/shut the roof a number of times and still have the sound.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    What other vehicles did you look at before buying the X3? What's coming on the market soon that you consider competitive?
  • sponge_worthysponge_worthy Member Posts: 27
    Depending on what your criteria for choosing an SUV - if performance and handling are your concern then the X3 is one of a kind in the market however if luxury and utility are of greater concern, there a few other options out there.

From the performance/handling standpoint, I think the attributes of the X3 that make it unique are its sports car handling in an SUV. The car is so nimble, it never feels like a 4000lbs vehicle. The X-Drive is awesome, probably the best AWD system around. Also, if you are looking to get a manual transmission, the X3 and X5 3.0 are your only options. The X3 is build on car platform (the 3-series touring) which really gives it a car feel.

From the performance standpoint, the only other SUVs that I think is in the same league is the Subaru Forrester and maybe the Tribecca B9 (although I haven't heard much about it) also, the Infinit FX35. VW will be introducing its small SUV the Marakesh in late 2006 as a 2007 model, which is based on the Golf platform, so should make for a nice handling SUV.

However, if luxury and utility are more your concern... the X3 is less unique here. I think you could look at FX35, RX330 and Touareg (also the Touareg is a hardcore off-road vehicle, which the X3 is not). You could also consider the X5 which shares many of the benefits of the X3 but feels much heavier (not nearly as nimble), also its design is aging and is due for major model change in two years. The Acura MDX is OK too, but when I drove it, it felt like a mini-Van. However Acura is releasing the RDX based on the new CR-V design in 2007.

Other factors to consider are value, at the time I got my X3, the lease offer was so sweet that nothing on the market came close to being an equivalent value.

Good luck...
  • newbmrnewbmr Member Posts: 26
    I encountered the same problem (milk stains from a bottle left overnight on the seat) about 6-7 months ago. I ended up cleaning it with mild soap and water and wiping it with dry, soft cloth. In my case, it took repeated applications of this process for the stain to, first, fade and then, disappear completely. Make sure you wipe away as much of the moisture as possible. You don't want mold to spawn.

Hope this helps.

newBmr
  • ladiladi Member Posts: 11
    Is the feel of the X3 sports package as stiff as they say it is? Not sure if I want to include it yet. I figured I would get some great opinons from this forum, then go test drive myself.

Thanx
  • michellelmichellel Member Posts: 4
    I know the mdx is closer to the x5 in size, but not in price. I am considering leasing both cars, and I would love some help. I know that the Acura has a third row, but I am more concerned with driving ability. I have a bmw convertible now and love it. But now we have three children. This is only a second car, so I don't have to worry about car pool--that is what the minivan is for. I am concerened about the drive in the snow? Please help!
    Michelle
  • sr1nathsr1nath Member Posts: 6
    I have a little problem with door lock. This morning, when I opened the passenger side door to pick up something, my daughter accidentally, pushed the lever/latch on the door. Now, I can not close the door. I am talking about the latch on the door which closes when door is closed and locked. I can not pull the latch to unlock position. I tried unlocking via remote, using key on the door, using the central locking button, but no luck.

My dealer's service center is closed today(Sunday). Does anyone have any idea, how to unlock the latch on the door. If not, I have to wait till tomorrow and contact BMW service.

Thanks
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The X3 until 2006 MY was sometimes criticized for being a bit crude, a bit down market, bla bla bla.

The 2006 is dressed somewhat better for success, with the painted bumpers, etc.

The dashboard material seems fine, but it looks less expensive than the dash in the X5.

Now, having said all this, and saying that we did end up with a 2005 X3 3.0 in black gloss (which effectively hides the fact that the bumpers are unpainted), that we believe is handsome and configured as we have ours, is dressed for success both inside and out.

Every one of the cars that are ON THE LOT are usually not very well equipped and they are not as satisfying as they can be made to be:

We did the following:

X3 3.0 (the manual transmission is THE ONLY one to get, the steptronic is old technology and is only a 5 speed -- performance and mileage will suffer)

Jet Black Gloss exterior w/Terracotta Montana Leather Sport Seats

Premium
    Sport
    Cold Weather

Premium Sound system
    BiXenon headlights
    Satellite Radio (Sirius)
    Satellite Navigation
    Built in (in the armrest) BMW Sony T637 Bluetooth phone
    Servotronic (A MUST HAVE and $250.00)
    BMW Brake dust shields
    F+R Parktronic, Tirepressure monitoring system

The bottom line MSRP ~ $47,000. No money down, $581 mo lease @15K miles per year for 3 years.

The car is quiet, comfortable, sporty, has a decent sound system and the nav system and bluetooth work great.

It could not be had with a heated steering wheel as configured and oddly BMW doesn't offer rear heated seats. The sunroof is very large and with the servotronic and sport package the car handles, well, like a car.

With the 6spd manual and the 3.0 engine, it is adequately+ powered, with the automatic, the thing is a slug relegated to that "transmission hunting" behavior so reminiscent of the Oldsmobile Bravada 4 speed.

This car would be fantastic, not that it isn't already close as is, with the 255HP 6 and the new SMG or perhaps 6speed steptronic.

They almost seem to give them away from a leasing perspective, too.

Terracotta is an acquired taste, but this car when all shined up, can go to work and to a black tie affair with its head up high. :shades:
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,959
    Actually the X3 is smaller on the exterior than an X5, however it is actually larger on the inside. I am not sure how the MDX will be in the snow, but I know the X3 is about as good as it gets. The all wheel X-system is almost impossible to make it skid, even if you try to do it. It is pretty good at getting out of deep snow as well, however I think my former Jeep that could lock the 4 wheel drive in place might have been better in deep snow...maybe someone knows the answer to that problem. Any reviews I have read say the MDX is pretty ordinary, and actually you can save a few $1,000's by going with a Pilot that is almost the same vehicle.
    The X3 gets excellent reviews and one said it was the best car M3 to SUV of them all, might even be better than the car from which it is derived. Good luck in choosing.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,959
    I did that with a rear door. The only way I could get the button to come up was to do it with the remote. Seems you tried that. Seems to be a "real problem".

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Try taking something solid (like a screwdriver), and flipping the latch (the part on the edge of the door that you can't see when its closed) back the other direction..

I'd say your latch is basically "closed", so that there is no way for it to slide past the solid bar on the "B" pillar... You need to "open" the latch up..

Hope this helps... I'm not very mechanically inclined..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sr1nathsr1nath Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your inputs.

I called the BMW service this morning and had it unlocked. All that I had to do was, unlock the door using remote. Then, pull the door handle, hold it with one hand and using a screwdriver, open the latch on the door. It was simple, but had to wait for the right person.

In case, anyone in this situation, you know what to do.
    Hi! I am getting a new 2006X3. I am considering the bmw assist in order to have bluetooth. I am also considering the navigation system. Does anyone have any opinions on these? Because I am leasing this car, it was suggested to me to purchase a seperate navigation system and a seperate bluetooth accessory. Which way should I go--built in or seperate.
    Michelle
    P.S. Any opinions on the ipod input?
    Thank You
    IMO, the BMW Assist is very expensive just to get bluetooth connectivity. If you can make do with just a bluetooth headphone, that may be the way to go. But then again, if you're leasing, it may amount to no more than $15- 20 bucks a month.
    Does the 18" wheel with the Sport Pack also come with wider tires?
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    BMW Assist as a stand-alone option is $750 or is included in the Premium Package. If you were planning on getting that package anyway, then it's a non-issue.

As for navigation, it's an $1800 option. Not a great nav system, as it's controlled by the right radio knob. Certainly an aftermarket nav would be less expensive and/or touch-screen.... but it wouldn't have the nice fit and finish as the built-in nav, either.

The ipod input is installed through the glove compartment and is wired up through the back of your radio. Note that it is not compatible with the Nav system, the premium sound system, Sirius, nor a CD changer.
    What do you not like about the navigation system?
    Interestingly enough, they aren't wider, just lower profile...

235/55-17 on 17 X 8 wheels...

235/50-18 on 18 X 8 wheels...

There may be a staggered wheel option with summer-only tires... There was on last year's model... but, that isn't standard with the sport package..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    What do you not like about the navigation system?

As I said in my previous post, the fact that all the nav controls are done through the right-side radio knob. It just feels a little clumsy or something. The screen is not really crisp like in the BMW cars, either. Despite iDrive, I actually like the BMW car version of the nav much better.

If you get a chance to see/use one in person, that would definitely be your best bet.
    Thank You!
    Thanks! I've seen lots of X3 with the standard wheels/tires, and was hoping there is an option for bigger, meatier paws, 'cause I think the standard setup looks a touch wimpy. On the X5, the optional wheel/tire combos, whether stand-alone, or part of a sport package, really transform the looks of the vehicle.
    The BMWUSA website also shows optional 19" wheels/tires...

F 8.5 X 19 235/45-19
    R 9 X 19 255/40-19

Price: $3550

I think this is priced as an accessory, meaning you get to keep your standard wheels/tires (handy for winter).

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

These are for the X3? Wow, they will no doubt transform the X3 visually! But I wonder how the ultra-low profile will affect the ride, which isn't plush to begin with.

Also, I wonder why the need for different sizes for F & R? Even though the x-drive is rear-biased, I don't see the power-split, nor the overall hp, to be sufficient to over-power the rear tires.
    First off, the Premium package takes care of the Assist expense item and includes upgrades that, for once, actually seem to make this package a bargain.

Assist in full on mode is free for one year. Beyond that, according to my BMW dealer, you can use Assist on a per call basis. Again, a no brainer.

The 18" wheels and tires that are part of the sport package are better looking than the standard wheels and with the lower profile and the sport suspension the turn in and control of the vehicle is enhanced. More car like.

We have have 6 cars with Nav systems -- the X3 system is well integrated, easy to program and has amazing detail and points of interest in its database.

My new Audi A6 has a somewhat more crisp screen, but the BMW screen is easy to use and the system is actually easier, by a tiny bit, to program than the A6's. The voice commands, integration with the left instrument cluster "pod" too are wonderful.

Don't leave home without it. We integrated the accessory to plant the phone into the armrest, upgraded the sound system and with the sport multi function steering wheel, everything works great.

It needs voice activation for the phone at least, but the ability to load the phone's address book into the nav screen for easy scrolling ALMOST makes this a non-issue (I would still take voice dialing, now that I know how good it can be in the Audi implementation.)

The aftermarket units work. They look like aftermarket units. If this is OK with you, well, that is OK with me. I like the integration and ease of use of a completely designed together system.

The screen is color, it won't play DVD's and there is NO CD changer (but you can get one) -- add the upgraded sound + sirius sat radio and this X3 is darn near a luxury sport activity vehicle, not just a mere SAV.
    It's all about the bling... The staggered tires do nothing but give it a more aggressive look...

What will it do to the ride? Well... it won't make it any better..

What you should be asking? How long will those 19" tires last, and how much will it cost to replace them...

Answer? Not long... and a lot.. ;)

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I suspect the standard all season tires on the sport option will be good for at least 36,000 miles. My buddy has an X5 with the same tires and he has over 42,000 miles and the tires appear to me to have about 1/3 of their life left to go.

The tires are H rated, A/S Michelin's profile is 50, the ride may be somewhat firmer with 50 series tires, but somehow I suspect the harshness some folks talk about in this instance has to do with the stiffer spring rates in the sport package.

We like the firmness, so this has, thus far, never been an issue. The X3 is quite comfortable especially with the Premium and Sport package combination. Great adjustability, too (speaking of the seats, that is.)

We have never taken this car off road -- I don't think that is its forte, but it is a great road car -- as noted, I only SOMETIMES wish for the 255HP engine now in the new 3 and 5 sedans (both for the power boost and the better mileage.)

Not wanting two X3's in our garage would be one of the only reasons for me to NOT consider an X3 when my current 2005 Audi A6 lease is up.

With the two cars in our garage (now that the TT is gone), I seldom find myself having a preference as to which car we take -- both the A6 and the X3 are capable and comfortable.

The upgraded sound system has in me a new fan -- my wife put a copy of Brothers in Arms in the CD player the other day and we were both blown away by this system's abilities to produce sizzling highs and gutteral lows (I said "wow, and this is THE FACTORY system upgrade,") color us impressed.

I have never been "anti BMW" but his dude has made me a fan.
  • beemcitybeemcity Member Posts: 50
    Hey everyone.. Been out of the forum chatter for a while now since my wife has been driving the x3, i haven't had much to talk about except the darn gas mileage dropping below 19 MPG due to stop/go driving of my wife and just her crazy driving ways. LOL.

Anyways, took the car for servicing after 15K miles - according to service meter that was when it was time to take it. I guess they did an oil change, did some minor body repair work for Free and washed the car nice and clean.

Was surprised when service counselor said tires need to be rotated only every 20K miles. Seems like BMW service is in the alternate world vs. most cars (oil change 5 k miles, etc), but I dind't question it.

When i turn on ignition now, it obviously shows the next interval for service but it also says "INSPECTION" in upper right hand corner - what does this mean praytell?

AAP
  • fantafanta Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying a 2006 X3 3.0 but am worried about poor gas mileage. For anyone who owns a 3.0, what has your experience been for city driving and highway driving? Thanks.
    The 15K interval is the oil service

The 30K interval is Inspection I (one)

The "INSPECTION" in the upper right hand corner is just notifying you what the odometer is counting down to...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So, it's confirmed that when the X3 gets the 255hp engine in January, 06, the 6-sp steptronic will also debut at the same time?
    It is much better with the 6spd manual than the numbers the steptronic owners have mentioned -- my wife has gotten to 25+ on the Interstate. Avg with some city driving is about 10 - 15% less.
  • gotbeemergotbeemer Member Posts: 1
    hi there! i have a 3.0 2005 x3 and i find my city driving gas mileage to be around 19.4mpg. i notice the best city mileage using QT gas. on the highway i have gotten up to 23.5 mpg. i cannot say enough about this car. it is absolutely amazing!
    We too love our X3 -- if you are achieving this kind of mileage with Steptronic, then that is quite good.

We always use either Mobil or a Top Tier gasoline (Shell, Chevron, etc.) and of course always use premium and we make certain our tires are inflated near the top of the range suggested in the manual.

We have 18" wheels -- if that matters (and I don't think it does -- or at least it is only negligible.)
    If you are buying premium grade gasoline, anything above 87 octane, you're throwing your money away. It is not needed!!!
  • beemcitybeemcity Member Posts: 50
    I disagree, sorta. While I'm sure there are folks who can prove it's overall not a big deal, in my case, I can feel the difference. My wife, when she drove the X3 and when gas prices were so high, she used to fill up medium grade and gas mileage slipped from about 20 MPG (blended) to about 18.9 (city/highway stop/go).. I recently started drivign it again to work and put premium, while it's too early to change the overall MPG rate, I can feel the difference while driving..
    The BMW 3.0 engine REQUIRES PREMIUM, it will temporarily detune itself to minimize or eliminate pre-ignition (at the cost of lower power and higher fuel consumption). Using regular in an engine that requires premium is a false economy -- i.e., using regular in the BMW X3 3.0 will cost more money simply because more fuel is used to create the power and there will be, over time, engine durability issues that even the fancy electronics cannot overcome.

Using regular ONCE or in an emergency is fine -- but not on a regular (no pun intended) basis.
    Yes, and I'm sure that you fel the vehicle running better right after the engine oil is changed. Do a real test for mileage and you'll see that there is no differance.