Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    There are discussions here there and everywhere (hmm sounds like a song title) about the waste that happens when one uses regular in a car designed for premium.

Likewise it is a waste to use premium in a car designed for regular. There MIGHT be some benefit in this example simply because the additive package in the premium grade MIGHT be superior. Generally speaking, though, using the grade of fuel from a reputable or "top tier" company is the way to go.

Neither under nor over what the car is designed for makes much sense and often ends of wasting money, or in the case of using regular in a car designed for premium, harming the engine over time.
    The difference is that using regular in a car designed for premium costs more.

I you want to use regular, fine -- but why would you spend more money to use a product that "dumbs down" the engine and ultimately may cause engine problems?
    I know there has been much written about folks who insist upon using premium gas in a car that clearly specified premium. I think, by now, most of us would agree that putting premium in a car that specified regular DOES waste money.

And, it is also generally true that ALL modern engines will run on regular gas without exploding or imploding. But there are car engines that due to their design have higher compression and require premium fuel to attain their highest output and to prevent premature wear out.

I found a short discourse by Click an Clack the Tappet brothers to say it well and with some humor:

"Dear Tom & Ray,

Our owner's manual recommends "unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91." It also says, "If unleaded premium is unavailable, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 can be used." Whenever I fill up the car (which is most of the time), I follow the manual's recommendation and use premium gas. But when my husband fills her up, he uses regular gasoline even when premium is available. So my question is, am I spending money needlessly on premium gasoline? And why would my car's manufacturer recommend premium gasoline if regular is OK to use? -- [signed] JoAnn

Tom: You're doing exactly the right thing, JoAnn.

Ray: Your car has a high-compression engine that's designed to run on premium gas. But since there are places where premium gas is not available, and because premium gasolines can vary in octane, most manufacturers, use a "knock sensor" to protect the engine.

Tom: The knock sensor detects -- that's right -- "knocking" (also known as "pre-ignition" or "pinging")! Knocking is bad for the engine, and it often results from using lower-than-recommended-octane fuel. So when your cheapskate husband puts regular unleaded in the car, the knock sensor kicks into action and retards the ignition timing to protect the engine.

Ray: Retarding the timing prevents the knocking, but it also reduces the engine's power, decreases fuel economy, probably increases the emissions, and may lead to a buildup of residue on the valves. So it's not an ideal situation. It won't hurt the engine if you use regular gas occasionally, but it prevents the engine from performing at the specifications at which it was designed to perform."
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    That was great Mark. But I might even add (just guessing) that using premium gas on engines that specify regular could hurt the engine and performance in addition to wasting money since the engine was designed to run on quicker burning fuel.
    Right you are -- when I was looking for the Tom & Ray bit, I ran across some articles that actually document HARM done to an engine designed to run on regular that was fed a steady diet of premium.

So, apparently it goes both ways -- use regular in cars so designed and premium in cars so designed.

Now, however -- I thought someone told me that the Chrysler 330C Hemi required regular (or mid grade).

And, one of the folks I work with used to have a northstar equipped Cadillac and I am thinking it said "regular."

My point, even if my details are fuzzy, is to wonder "since it is obviously possible to design cars with "X" horsepower to run on regular, why not just make cars run on 87 or 89 octane as a matter of course. I don't need to use premium to impress the neighbors -- and believe me, if I thought I could get away with running regular in my HIGH COMPRESSION Audi V6, I would.

And, of course my wife would run regular in her BMW 3.0 I6 if she but could without long term issues as put forth by Tom and Ray above.

Why not make "all cars" run on a single grade (say the one that is readily available) everywhere?

It HAS to be (one would hope) more than ego and pride that makes car makers design the car to run on premium.

Somewhere I read that the reason for an engine to be designed to run on premium is engine efficiency. That is the higher compression ratio afforded by the use of Premium juice also creates greater efficiency. Efficiency is good, no? More would be better, wouldn't it? In other words, why not make all engines require premium and have a several year cutover, just like we did when we went to 100% unleaded. Some economy of scale would certainly ensue, perhaps lowering the price of premium. Hmmmmm?
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    If the car states that it requires premium, then it probably needs it.....

It all just comes down to simple physics and some chemistry. To quote from howstuffworks.com:

"Higher compression ratios produce more power, up to a point. The more you compress the air/fuel mixture, however, the more likely it is to spontaneously burst into flame (before the spark plug ignites it). Higher-octane gasolines prevent this sort of early combustion. That is why high-performance cars generally need high-octane gasoline -- their engines are using higher compression ratios to get more power.......

"It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio."
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the What about fuel types & gas mileage? discussion too. Some posts in there can be boiled down to no ping, no problem and read your owner's manual. ;-)

Steve, Host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • trader_tomtrader_tom Member Posts: 25
    Hi All,

I have not posted here for a while, but figured I would comment on some recent topics. I am still very pleased with my 15 month old X3, and it has done everything I could ask for with no ill effects.

I am running premium gas, and like some others here, had poor results using even mid grade gas (lower mpg and lower performance.) I plan staying with the 91 or better.

I now have nearly 17,000 miles on my 2004 X3 3.0i 6M. I average a measured 21 MPG in my commute. I average 23+ on highway trips. Trailering knocks my mileage down to 18-19 city or highway. I drive moderately, and save winding it out to the screaming redline for the occasions where I need a big smile to make my day.

I have noted that the trip computer on my vehicle does not report the correct MPG compared to measuring it the old fashioned way (miles/gallons of gas.) The computer is optimistic by 1-1.5 MPG. I reset it with most tanks, and this does not seem to matter. I know I am getting about 1 MPG less than the display on any given tank. Anyone else actually checked their trip computer against actual mileage?

Cheers,
    Tom
  • trader_tomtrader_tom Member Posts: 25
    I made a similar post some time ago, but though I would ask again. I was just looking for people's X3 experiences with tires and snow. I find the Pirelli STRs to be just adequate for snow. They are great for everything else, but snow is not their strong point IMO.

So, has anyone upgraded tires on their X3? Anybody planning on buying dedicated snows and spare rims? Please share your thoughts, experiences, pricing, and sources used.

Thanks,
    Tom
    2004 X3 3.0i 6M
  • ozonecatozonecat Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a new Bluetooth phone from Sprint(LG325KIT). I was able to pair the phone, but cannot send nor receive calls. I know this phone is not explicitly listed on the BMW supported list....thought I'd check to see if maybe I'm just doing something wrong. I start the car up, my phone does make a connection, but the Stereo display consistently shows Activate Phone. The steering wheel controls do not seem to change anything. Any advice? :confuse:
    Don't know anything specifically about the phone.... but Just like a lot of other users, you're getting partial usage.

The consensus has pretty much stated that if it's not on BMW's "officially supported" list, then there are no promises as to what will and what won't work.
    Pretty grim. There probably isn't much point in getting the dealer to look at it. I guess we'll just wait for BMW to upgrade their software to accomodate more phones and then go in to get the software upgrade. I'm really surprised that there are so many compatibility issues with a "supposed" standard technology. Ok, maybe I'm not surprised, I just wish my phone worked.
    I know certain phones are not offered by all companies. But one of the least costly phones seems to be THE universal phone in all of these late model cars that come with bluetooth: Sony Ericsson's T630 and T637.

Moreover, BMW offers a kit that fits in the upper part of the armrest that makes the phone far more powerful in almost every way. If you go with this $99 phone (say a T637) and use the BMW armrest kit, the roof top antenna is activated, the phone's battery is "optimally" charged at all times and full hands free use is activated and due to the use of the roof antenna, there are fewer drop outs.

I had purchased a Motorola V505, which did work, but there was NO in armrest kit. The armrest kit has the effect, or so it seems, of quadrupling the power of your phone plus it is very easy to use.

No one wants to hear this, but these cars (Audi, BMW and Infiniti) seem to prefer GSM type phones and they work flawlessly with the car's software.

Why fight it?
    I'm really surprised that there are so many compatibility issues with a "supposed" standard technology.

It is a "standard"... but not all providers and phone manufacturers are implementing it as such. Check out these high-profile cases:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1751567,00.asp
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000983029058/
  • dean13dean13 Member Posts: 1
    with repect to size...;you should not consider it if you are over 5 feet tall. getting into the car is a pain becauwe they make the front door to narrow.

another reason not to consider it is that you might encounter leakage problems. in my car, the recent rains came in through the roof and flooded the back seat floor. BMW claimed to have fixed it but then it rained again. guess what? wet floor!

it might also have caused electrical problems since my interior lights do not work.

even the car knew something was wrong because it started calling BMW assits by itself!

the first time, was at 9PM in the evening whileit was in my driveway. I told BMW that it might have been lonely. maybe it was just afraid of thedark. anyway...the next day it called BMW assist 7 times in two hours while i was on the road. Annoying as hell! :mad: :sick: :lemon:
    Simply maddening....phone pairs up to unit.....I can receive calls.....just can't answer them nor dial out. If anyone successfully gets the Sprint LG325 to work in their X3...please let us all know.
  • weinsteinweinstein Member Posts: 1
    I have the LG 325 and it works fine with the X3 Bluetooth system. I just synced it and some how it works
    That is good to hear, thank you. I will give my dealer a call to see if there is any adjustment they can make.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    What vehicles did you all cross-shop before purchasing an X3?
  • beemcitybeemcity Member Posts: 50
    We looked at:

Lexus RX 330. Didn't like: it rode like a car
    VW Touraeg V6: Too heavy, too pricey with options
    Toyota 4Runner: Too bumpy and a little too big for us
    Don't ask me why: Toyota Highlander: drove like our Camry
    Acura MDX: Not sporty enough, too boxy shape.

In the end I liked the sportyness, looks, performance and overall package the BMW provided..
  • discerningdiscerning Member Posts: 1
    I just traded my Porsche Boxter S (04) for the X3. I dont have any regrets! The trade worked out almost even I could of gotten 38K at CarMax and didn't want to sell the Boxter privately too much hassle.
    My wife's 2005 X3 3.0 has turned over 10,000 literally trouble free miles.

Last weekend we went to the dealer and asked for all three windshield wipers to be replaced (in anticipation of winter.)

Car was washed and vacuumed, no charge, no appointment and they fed us danish and Starbuck's whilst we waited.

I don't recall if you can get unlimited wiper blades (like I used to on my Audis), but the car has been trouble free, pleasurable and comfortable in every way -- darn near luxurious and remains a blast to drive (with the manual tranny, sat nav and sat radio at our side.)

Our only regret is that BMW did not offer (and still doesn't) the more powerful, economical and cleaner 255HP 6 cylinder engine.

We "fight" over who gets to drive the X3 on weekends.

We're also actually looking forward to winter in this vehicle. Nice as her Audi TT quattro was, the X3 is better and more solid feeling (of course I always felt like a bug when I was driving the TT on freeway.)

Can't say enough good about this car -- and likewise the folks at European car have one in their long term test fleet and the editors LOVE it!
  • newbmrnewbmr Member Posts: 26
    Have you noticed the problems the redesigned, 2006 M-class is having? With several people now having successfully declared their M's as lemons and getting their money back, our X3 growing pains appear to dissolve away...

(Disclaimer: I own an X3 and M-class was in my consideration set.)

Pasting one message from the Merc-Benz Problems & Issues forum just for illustrative purposes..

>Everyone, MBUSA just bought back my 2006 M-Class
    >too because of the same transmission issues. I give them >credit for standing behind their product, and
    >owning up to the problem. Good luck to you all,
    >it is a beautiful vehicle, and if you got a
    >good one, I am actually envious!
  • terlatoterlato Member Posts: 3
    YES! Everytime someone got in my car they asked me if a rear window was open - it was that loud. I brought it in several times and finally they pushed the entire sunroof forward and that helped for a couple of months. Now, the noise is back and I have to keep the sunroof cover totally closed to keep the noise to a minimum. Even without the sunroof noise, it's a really loud vehicle - both engine and exterior wind noise.
    I live in Upstate NY, where we have lots of snow and ice for several months and it handled quite well. I am considering getting snow tires though, for even better handling. A few times the rear wheels fishtailed a bit on the ice, but overall the AWD is great. I had a Jimmy before this and it also handled well, but I think it mya have been a little heavier. I'll most likely get snowtires from tirerack.com. Hope this helps.

Melissia
    I live in Upstate NY, with lots of snow and ice. Overall it handles well, but I agree that snow handling could be better. I am most likely getting snow tires and rims for this winter from tirerack.com.

I had a Jimmy prior and it handled better in the snow - maybe it's a little heavier too?

Melissia
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,959
    I'm a little late in replying but maybe this helps. I have owned 3 Jeeps in the last 10 years. I did try a Blazer, Explorer new Jeep Liberty and Cherokee. Also a Nissan X-Trail (available in Canada and similar to a Honda).
    Then I tried the X3, mainly because my wife likes European cars the most. She has a 2004 Mercedes C240 wagon.
    When I drove the X3 I didn't want to try anything else. It is perfect. I didn't even want to take it back to the dealer. I can't imagine a better vehicle, great handling, comfort, looks, lots of room, safety features, reasonable gas mileage, gorgeous sun-roof.
    Hope this helps.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• chachichachi Member Posts: 5
    Saturday morning at 6,596 miles my X3 shut off in the middle of an intersection. I went to start it and give it gas and it would die. Started it again and it had a very rough idle, engine sounds like a "tap tap tap" Check Engine light came on and it shut off again when I gave it gas. I barely got it out of the intersection. BMW Roadside Assistance came and got it within 30 min and took it to the dealership. Anybody have any clue on what might have happen to my car?

Thank you for your time.
    Nick W.
  • cimedmancimedman Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like bad gas/ clogged fuel filter or both. Were you low on gas???
  • chachichachi Member Posts: 5
    The BMW dealer called and said the cylinder #3 ignition coil went bad. Apparently there is a new recall out on it.
    Nick W.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Why hasn't the X3 gotten the higher horsepower/higher torque 3.0 liter engine?

Is the AWD system in all BMW's now the same, or is the X3 still using an older version?
  • sfhondapilotsfhondapilot Member Posts: 7
    The X3 was never using an "older version" of the AWD system. I'd expect the new engines to appear in the X3 in the 2007 model year.
  • bmwbob277bmwbob277 Member Posts: 15
    I purchased a new X-3 and had the "garage opener" (Home-Link) installed as an option. My door opener is a LiftMaster (Chamberland) with the rolling code feature. I have programed several vehicles with this opener without any problems. But, the new X-3s HomeLink controller (mirror) will not program the door opener. I have also programed a non rolling code opener on the same (mirror) without any problem. Have anyone had any experience with my problem?? I've contacted BMW assist and HomeLink with no success.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    I saw a few of these on a local dealer's lot today. Mark, I know you have the black and don't mind the plastic bumpers (I agree with you), but on the other colors, the X3 really looks sharp with body colored bumpers.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I saw a silver one with the painted bumpers -- looks GREAT!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    They were unloading about eight of them off the transporter Saturday at The BMW Store.. I really like the painted bumpers...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Anyone purchase their X3 with the standard leatherette seats? And do you regret not getting the leather?

We have the leatherette in our Mini, and to me, it looks good and works great (low maintenance!). But in a BMW costing twice as much, I'm not sure if it would look the part.
    Some people can't even tell the difference. In my direct side-by-side comparison, I can see where the leather is a little softer and supple. Certainly the longevity and wear is much better for the leatherette.... But, ultimately, it is up to the buyer to decide if it is worth the extra $$$.
    The dealer here in Cincinnati that we use offers "like for like" cars when yours is in for service.

We have a 2005 X3 with Premium, Cold, Sport packages (plus a bunch of other options.) The car is Jet Black gloss with the Terracotta "Montana" leather sport seats.

Further we have the optional higher-zoot sound system, Sirius and it is all in the 3.0 6spd manual chassis.

OK, so what?

Well, we were in to have the phone cradle and kleen wheels installed and they offered us the use of a 2005 2.5 (auto) "base everything" model.

The car was red with the vanilla colored plastic seats.

We felt like we had moved from the Trump Tower to the "projects" the interior look and feel were so stark in comparison with what we were used to.

We basically said "ewww!"

The designers of the X3 did so many things right -- but one of the things they didn't do was pick great "leatherette." And, the material of the dash with the coarse grained look is, IMHO, out of character with the rest of the vehicle (at least as we have ours equipped.)

Obviously, these observations and opinions are subjective to the max. But it is our considered opinion that there is a huge difference between the regular plastic seats and the Montana leather (and, as noted, we have the sport seats, too.)

Your opinion, however, is the one that matters.

Question -- how long do you plan to keep the car?

And, if you plan to buy the car with some thought of getting rid of it before it dies completely, the used car with leather probably will have at the very least a higher "subjective" retained value than the non-leather equipped version.

:surprise:
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I usually don't keep my cars for very long. 3 years avg, but I get the itch after about 18 months. As for the X3, if I get one, I figure I would either go full-course meal, or go econo-class, get a plain one just to get the x-drive. So I figure, if I go plain-jane, why even bother with leather. To be honest, the leatherette in the Mini doesn't look half bad.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,959
    I have a 2.5 2004 X3 with leatherette seats and I have never felt sorry or disappointed. I think if you were going to keep the car for a long time you would get your moneys worth from real leather. Since you are from Canada, the cost of a base X3 will be about the same as Mark's fully equipped model in the U.S.
    I really like my X3 and I don't think there is anything like it. But the new Consumers Reports guide says the X3 and X5 have just reached an average repair rate, while many Japanese models have above average ratings. It makes me wonder how long I will want to hold on to my X3 if it starts having big problems. The money for leather might be better spent on a Lexus that will be trouble free for a much longer time.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Problem is, I'd die of boredom if I was forced to drive any Toyota other than the MR2.
    In one sentence, one succinct lay down of 18 words, you have said volumes. While I too want reliable cars, ever more reliable, of course. I would rather be engaged in and enjoying the experience.

Only the Infiniti M35X seems to offer anything that reminds me of the "joy of driving" with which the German's seem to have been able to imbue their cars.

Maybe the Infiniti has both the "Q" in the fun to drive dept and the reliability dept. I dunno.

The X3, that my wife just let me drive from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh is a remarkable vehicle to spend 4 hours driving.

This little (?) dude flies, is comfortable, responsive and so equipped with the upgraded sound system entertaining on several fronts.

I have NOT owned a Lexus or any other Toyota car.

I am not meaning to dis them. I have rented both Toyotas and Lexus cars and always found them "silent" and well-built (no rattles or other annoying problems so many rentals have.) Even the GS's tho don't feel the same connectivity to the art and science of driving as even the most pedestrian, stripped X3 2.5.

But, that is MY OPINION.

Dear BMW,

Please make your cars more reliable (not that we have had ANY problems with either one we have had), but don't make them boring. For an example of boring, you have but to look at most of your American and Japanese competition.

Regards,

A Loyal (so far) German car fan (and his wife.)
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    I recall driving my Uncles LS430 and it was amazing.

The car did everything almost to perfection. Comfortable, quiet, and the Mark Levinson was amazing.

What a bore it was to drive. It a better Caddy, or at least a few years ago.

No doubt its a fine car. Its for people who don't like to drive. In that, it washes out the road, noise, and is very peaceful. Perhaps very pleasent for the passengers, but I like the feel of moving. Just personal preference.

My Sienna Limited minivan is perfect for the job its intended to do. Reliable, durable (I hope!) and very comfortable. Almost lexus like in its appointments.

No lexus for me. Thank you though for building nice cars for other people. Infiniti are poser cars. They simulate performance and feel, but don't quite get it.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I believe that a Lexus is designed for people who think that they want a Mercedes but actually desire the soft and uninvolving driving experience of a traditional Cadillac.
    I drove a 1989 420SEL. THis was the stretched very long s class. WOnderful care, big, lots of leg room, quiet, a great cruiser. Had it for 7 years.

I dug up an old review of the car and they said "made for people who don't like to drive" and as much as I did not want to hear it, its was true.

Lexus makes a fine auto for the majority of the american market that wants to isolate the world. The Blvd cruisers of our youth were the envy and status symbol to announce who has arrived!

Lexus does what they do perhaps the best on the planet for the money! That being the LS. I hate the RX!! A total fashion car! No way on my list.

Im considering the X3, FX35 (poser I know!), 3.4 A4 manual, A6 Avant, and maybe the ML350. Used to have a ML320 and liked it alot. I want Manual Tranny so its likely the audi vs. Bmw. Wish the audi Q 5 was available!

Mark in Cincy: Question, if the mrs walked out and said you can take your pick of either cars, which one would it be? You have my top two picks and have been down my road. This coming out of a manual allroad myself. I posed this to you before, but now you have lived with both now for some time, I wonder if its changed?
    The Audi has voice recognition for many of the functions that I consider important -- this alone then means the Audi has what I want as a safety feature.

If the X3 had voice command and the decision would be painfully difficult.

I love the X3 -- in many ways it is more "fun" but it needs just a couple of Lux touches to round it out.

I think next year, it will have these touches.
    You a gaget freak!

Never would have guessed!

Outside of the gagetry, just the driving experience. Do you miss the manual tranny? Is the X quick enough?

What makes it fun vs. Comfortable?
    I miss the manual transmission.

As of today, however, I miss it a tiny bit less -- my 6spd tiptronic seems to have learned a new trick, and that trick really minimizes the lag that these transmissions (and that includes BMW's) are known for.

The "ideal" X3 is perhaps the ideal car for many reasons.

The ideal X3 would have the SMG transmission, the 255HP 3.0 engine, fully trimmed body (now standard) and idrive with voice recognition.

Of course I would want to take a serious test drive of the X3 with the 255HP engine and the manual transmission before I pulled the trigger.

Moreover, if the dash of the X3 could be just a bit less rugged looking, that would make the interior much more attractive (not that it is ugly by any means.)

When I got my Audi allroad, I thought I was getting a swiss army knife of cars -- at this point, the X3 when it is offered with the 255HP engine will probably be such a vehicle.