Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I've driven BMWs continuously since 1983. My wife recently picked up a 2004 X3 2.5. Her two previous Bimmers were a 1997 Five and a 1998 Three. She liked the Five and loved the Three, but she REALLY loves the X3. The X3 engine is just about bulletproof and the rest of the mechanicals have proven to be pretty robust as well. While I prefer the BMW's M cars, I still find the X3 to be an enjoyable drive; the truck has humiliated more than a few "sports" cars in the twisties. I anticipate running our X3 out to at least 150,000 miles with no major problems(our 1997 Five is now in the hands of its third owner and is running strong with over 135,000 miles on the clock).
  • needyouradviceneedyouradvice Member Posts: 7
    Div2, your post was quite a help for me. Thank you. I am so very embarrassed to admit that I have driven a Camry for the past seven years. I have held on to the Camry for so long b/c it has ran perfectly and has never given me an excuse to get rid of it. But I just can't stand driving my Camry anymore and your post and the previous two other posts have helped me to feel more confident about the X3. I like the way the X3 looks so I am going to test drive one this weekend. Thank you.
    I am so very embarrassed to admit that I have driven a Camry for the past seven years. I have held on to the Camry for so long b/c it has ran perfectly and has never given me an excuse to get rid of it.

There's nothing to be embarrased about, the Camry does exactly what it is designed to do-provide reliable, comfortable, and economical transportation. However, as you've discovered, driving pleasure isn't a part of the Camry's playbook. Try to spend at least an hour behind the wheel of an X3 and then let us know your impressions.
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    Best thing is to drive them all!

Owning a German premium car/Suv does require more patience.

Many first timers feel that paying alot of money entitles them to better reliability. That is not always true, or false, but beware to get performance and driver feel, sometimes things go wrong.

Japenese cars are very reliable, but can be boring. For many, the utlity is the most important. My wife could care less about a "teutonic revelation" and being one with the road. For me, its all about that!

Look at all the Escalade drivers. Things like status and being afraid are higher priorities.

Kudos for interest in the X3!! Its a drivers auto and not high on the bling factor.

I might suggest you drive an Infiniti FX35 which is good value in terms of amenities and it drives pretty nice.

Its different than the X3, but its the only small premium Sport Utility vehicle I can think in this segment besides the awful boring lexus.

This segment will expand with a new mercedes offering and the Q5 by Audi still not due for 2 years. The X3 has about 2 years left before a new model replaces it. Thats fine as they are refined now and because its not a hot seller, you can get a good price!

Good luck, and happy miles
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Our 8+ month old 2005 BMW X3 is one of my wife's favorite cars EVER (and she and I combined since 1977 have had 28 Audis and 2 BMW's -- take a deep breath that did include several company cars that were Audis.)

She got the 3.0 with the 6spd manual and

Premium
    Sport
    Cold Weather
    Sound system upgrade
    Bi Xenons
    Servotronic
    Sat Nav
    Sirius
    Chrome tail pipe extensions
    In car built in/removable Sony Ericsson T637 Bluetooth and mounted phone.
    BMW specific (dealer sold) Kleen Wheels

And probably a couple other things I forget right now.

MSRP including shipping and the three accessories mentioned above ~$47K; we put $250.00 down (for the Servotronic), sec dep and got a 36 month 15K per year lease including tax (state of Ohio) for $581/mo.

We custom ordered the car, it took 7 weeks to come in -- black gloss (at the time the bumpers ONLY came in black, now they are body colored) with the Terracotta Leather Sport seats and the light birch wood.

We have had the wiper blades changed once, it has over 13,000 miles on it and we have had to add one pint of oil during this period of time. Picked up the car in May 2005, car was built in April 2005. Only other visits to dealer are for weekly free car washes Starbucks and choc chip cookies avail to all customers all day Saturday.

I assume there are changes in the 2006's beyond the dressed up bumpers.

We thought the vehicle with the 5spd auto was adequately powered as the transmission seemed to hunt a lot (Cincinnati is the city of "7 Hills.") With the 6spd manual it was a blast and the mileage is good (~24 highway around town; in the city ~20; on long trips over 25mpg even with the A/C on.)

Regrets: we didn't get the home link transmitter option (didn't know it didn't come with it); we didn't get the privacy glass option (the only one we've seen without it is ours); AND MAYBE the power folding mirrors, but frankly this has never been a problem so for $350 or whatever, we might re think that one.

Encourage others to: ORDER the car with SERVOTRONIC it is "only" $250 and it transforms the steering and feeling you get via the wheel. It was here in Cincinnati a sold order option only. Beats me why. The stock sound system is lame. The upgraded system with Sat Radio and the single CD in dash is very nice.

It is a BMW -- it is NOT based on a truck. It is NOT really an off road vehicle. It rides higher than a BMW sedan and has a firm suspension. It handles, therefore, like a somewhat taller sport sedan from Germany -- the ride is firm, at slower speeds on a "washboard" surface the sensation can be one of being jostled. This happens, to us here in Pot Hole Central, less than 5% of the time.

This is a relatively quiet vehicle, but there is a bit less isolation than in a similar Lexus -- some people love this (my wife) some don't want to hear or feel the road -- hell, some don't even want to see the road. The X3 needs a slight upgrade to the material covering the dash. This has not been and I suspect it will not be a durability issue, it is an appearance issue. It seems to look better in black which hides the coarse pebble grain of the dash.

With a high contrast interior, like Terracotta, it is not really too much of an issue, but for $47K you'd think they would take a page out of the book of the 3 series or from an Audi A4 for Pete's sake.

Confidence inspiring is what my 50 year old lawyer wife says after 3 Audi TT 225HP coupes and a dozen Audis of various ilks since her first Fox in 1979.

She likes being slightly higher off the road and the feeling of the X drive when we have one of those nasty but brief Cincinnati Snowstorms (luckily only 1 this year.)

Hope this helps if you are a shopper at this moment in time. The deals, too, seem to be quite good as the residual (subvented or not, who cares?) on these cars seems impressive.

Drive it like you live.

:shades:
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    A GermanCarfans has a picture of what is a spy shot of a refreshed X3.

They point out that perhaps the interior will get touched up a bit and show the smoother front end, changed light lens, and describe the rear also gets smoothed out.

They also assume the new motor will make it this time.

I had read previously that there would be two years before the new X3 wouild be released. Makes sense as it would be 5 years old at that time and the competition in this segment will get crowded.

It would appear the X3 is going a bit more upscale to strengthen sales and shore up pricing.

I hope they do this sooner than later and in my timeframe of purchase.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    I have my wife's car in for service today, and they gave me an '05 X3 2.5 for a loaner.... About the only options I can see are the big moonroof, steptronic and heated seats.. No premium package or leather.

I always thought that the 2.5 was too small of an engine for the X3, but this is a pretty nice little rig.. Plenty of acceleration.... Even though it doesn't have the premium package, I can't think of much I would really miss.. I usually like all of the options on a luxury car, but this isn't bad, at all... The improvement over my normal ride (CR-V) is tremendous, obviously..

One question.. The big moonroof has two upholstered interior panels covering the opening.. I didn't have a lot of time this morning.. Can you slide these back manually? Or do they only move when you open the roof? I don't remember seeing these before.. are they an accessory item?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Pull the power switch backward for 1 second and release, the inner roof panel will slide partway open, repeat and it will do it the whole way, repeat and the glass opens part way, repeat and the glass opens to its maximum position (which is no 100%.)
    Thanks... since it was 29F this AM, I didn't want to play with it!!

Seriously.. for what was probably a $35K MSRP vehicle, it is pretty nice.... and better acceleration than I expected... even though I've had the same engine in a 3-series..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

With the 6spd I probably would have been OK, personally.

My wife had come from a 225HP Audi TT coupe and it was "spunky."

The 3.0 X3 did the trick, but not the 2.5.

We drove it too, with the auto which near the BMW store made it seem to "hunt" at lot to compensate for its lower torque.

Moot now, since only the 3.0 is offered.

Shame is they could put the 255HP 3.0 in it in a heartbeat, but that would surely kill the X5, and, well, that isn't about to happen.

The marketing and the manufacturing are lagging -- one or the other.

I would think they could sell as many of the X3's as they could mint with the 255HP engine and the 6spd step or manual. But only if they kept reasonably close to the price.
    All things being equal I'd rather have the 3.0, but as you said,the 2.5 isn't bad. The BMW performance data shows the X3 2.5 to be about one second slower 0-60 than our departed 528i, but you really don't notice it in everyday driving. What I do notice is the added mass; two tons is a lot of weight to haul around. I almost got caught out by the sled on a damp downhill off-camber corner that the Club Sport laughs at. Oh well, it's my wife's truck, and she's happy with it-and it IS an excellent long distance cruiser. OTOH, MY next Bimmer-vintage or new-will be much more tossable. Not to mention track ready.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    When I first tested the X3 I tried the 3 litre and I thought I don't want to take this car back. I tied the 2.5 and it was quite adequate for me. If someone really enjoys the extra power for whatever reason, then the 3 litre is a must. But, if you just want all the advantages of an X3, and you don't need the extra horses, I don't think you will be sorry with a 2.5, and you might even get better mileage I would assume (though not necessarily - does anyone know?).

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

It is now moot, there is no 2.5 2006 X3 here anymore.
    Hey now!... some of us still consider used cars.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    It is now moot, there is no 2.5 2006 X3 here anymore.

As someone informed me about a month ago, apparently the 2.5 is still available in Canada....

Silly Canadians. :P
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    That's right. You can still get the 2.5 (the last time I looked), along with the econo-grade black plastic bumper covers! The 3.0 comes automatically with the body-color bumpers.

So now it's confirmed that BMW has ditched plans to put in the 255hp motor and 6-sp steptronic until the new X5 comes out?
    It is actually very good marketing to offer the 2.5 litre in Canada, because the 3 litre is $4,000 more! Well worth it if you really need it or more likely want it, but the 2.5 is probably adequate for 99% of the population. By the way, Canadians favor smaller cars, smaller engines, and don't buy as many SUV's. Not making any judgements, but the market is different.

• jeffkieljeffkiel Member Posts: 48
    Here is a weird one for you...I just turned over 10000 mi this weekend. I was getting pretty much 20MPG on the button, but now I am getting 21-22. Weather is still the same, it was the same tank of gas (improvement seemed to start at about 1/2 way through the tank), didn't change the tire pressure, etc. This weekend, I checked the tire pressure and the fronts were 31 and the rears were 34 so I bumped them to 33/38 and I am getting 22-23 now (according to the computer).
    You should also notice an improvement in power at this mileage interval.
    So, there is something that ticks over in the computer at 10K? I read the manual but didn't see anything about it.
    So, there is something that ticks over in the computer at 10K? I read the manual but didn't see anything about it.

Most BMW engines require anywhere from 5000-10000 miles of driving before they are fully "broken in". At the US press introduction of the X5 4.6is the BMW engineers told us that the engine would not develop maximum power until it had 6000 miles on the clock. Car and Driver long term tests have almost always found BMWs to be a bit quicker at the conclusion of the test period.
    Not related to the computer in any way that I know of.

German engines (and others for all I know) seem to improve in power and economy after 5,000 to 10,000 miles and sometimes again although less dramatically after an additional 5,000 - 10,000 miles.

The BMW X3 will probably be marginally better after the first oil change -- especially if your oil is particularly dirty.

I would say the impact of this, however, would be far more likely to be psychological rather than real. Yet, it has been, I have read, measured (can't remember if this was in a BMW though.)
    OK, I have another question for you guys. I just ticked over 10K, an my car is just at 1 year old, but the computer says still just over 5K before service. Well, I just had to top off the oil, and what was on the stick looked a little dirty. Can I contact my dealer and schedule my service early?
    Can I contact my dealer and schedule my service early?
    Yes, BMW states that an Oil Service must be performed when indicated by the SI or at one year-whichever comes first.
    In Canada my dealer won't allow my free oil change until the full 24000 kilometers or about 15,000 miles. I have 22,000 kms. now and the car is 16 months old (I have been trying to go in since about 18,000 kms. or 12,000 miles). I said I hope they know what they are doing. He says they do, and they get asked that all the time??????

• njdriver1njdriver1 Member Posts: 97
    Can anyone point me towards clear instructions on working on the audio system? I'm interested in seeing if I can install an ipod adapter, but since I have the premium sound, it appears I can't use the BMW adapter. Meanwhile, I've never removed the radio and I am a little skittish about messing up the interior in order to install an ice-link.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Not the info you requested, but here's an alternative.

The two iPod hookup options for my X3 thatI looked at were much more expensive -- including labor -- than I'd anticipated. And the radio unit itself will NOT display song information with either of them.

So, what I've started doing is burning RW .mp3 disks out of iTunes.

An RW .mp3 CD will hold about 12 CD's (or 150 songs) which I find is an adequate substitute for having my whole iPod collection available. At any given time, I'm most often listening to just 8 or 10 CD's anyway.
  • tominnvatominnva Member Posts: 3
    I'm getting ready to order a 2006 X3 3.0 and am looking for input regarding performance differences between the manual and automatic transmissions. I live in the DC area, and the dealers here only have the 5-speed autos in stock so that's all I've been able to test drive. Both dealers I have visited indicated the 6 speed manual is very rarely sold here - one said he's sold one in the last 6 months, the other said 2 or 3 in the last two years and said I was "way out to the right" (I suppose he meant right field) to be considering it.

With the heavy stop and go traffic here, the auto would clearly be more convenient for commuting. On the other hand, one of the main reasons I'm buying a BMW is for the performance and driving fun, so I'm trying to weigh the two issues in making a decision. I drove a Saab 900 Turbo with a 5-speed manual transmission for about 11 years and don't remember being particularly bothered by it in traffic, but I've been driving an automatic for about the last 10 years.

I'd appreciate input from anyone who's driven both, or just general level of satisfaction from folks driving either one. Thanks
    My wife's X3 has the slushbox, and overall it performs quite well. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the manual mode will still second-guess you by downshifting and upshifting on its own. That said, she didn't buy the truck to autocross or take to HPDEs, so the lack of full manual control is no big deal. As for me, all of my BMWs have been manuals and there hasn't been a lemon in the bunch. Resale is another consideration-more and more non-enthusiasts now buy BMWs and the result is a somewhat limited demand for manual cars. A non-M BMW with a stick can often be hard to move unless you are willing to wait for the right buyer.
    We test drove the then 2.5 and 3.0 X3 with automatics (late March 2005.)

Then one day the phone rang, the BMW sales rep said she had one to drive that had the two things we wanted to test: manual transmission and sport package.

Night and brilliant day difference. The BMW automatic like so many other intelligent autos has a propensity to upshift early and downshift late. The goal one assumes is a slight improvement in mileage. The newest BMW autos (not on the X3's, yet) are 6spds (as are the manuals.) The 6spd auto is OK to pretty good, the 5spd steptronics are afflicted with a "feature" that is usually termed transmission name here-lag. A BMW with this feature is said to have step-lag, that is.

The X3 with the 225 HP engine and 6speed manual is very much like a BMW Sedan -- the edge so to speak is somewhat dulled by the automatic, on the other hand. The car seemed (in D) to be frequently "hunting" for a new gear -- it would do its best to get to fifth and the moment a mole hill was encountered, downshift to fourth which was often right on the upshift point and back to 5th it went only to discover there was a slight grade and back down again, and so on.

We ordered the X3, took 7 weeks to come in exactly as we wanted.

Premium
    Sport
    Cold weather
    Navigation
    Sat Radio
    Upgraded sound
    Upgraded lights (xenons)
    Phone cradle in arm rest
    Jet Black gloss w/Terracotta Leather sport seats

and second only to the manual transmission in being a transformation of the driving experience:

Servotronic Steering: a $250 list price option that, too, changes the dynamics of driving this almost secret sports sedan that happened to have an SUV as a grandparent.

Please understand we don't think the car is bad with the automatic -- it is just much different and we think better (performance, control, fun, safety, etc.) with the stick.

Servotronic -- they probably won't have any to drive, but if they do, try it. If they don't just order yours with it, you will not be let down, indeed you will be rewarded.
    I will ditto the vote for the 6spd. I test drove the 2.5 with manual, 3.0 with auto, and 3.0 with manual, and the last one left a permanent smile on my face (still there 1 year later). The others were really good, but the 3.0/manual was great.
  • tominnvatominnva Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all for the feedback. It really helps to get impressions from people who've had a chance to drive both. I was leaning toward the 6 spd and your feedback has confirmed that for me it's a good choice. Happy driving.
  • jeffpelljeffpell Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have the all weather floor mats? Do they detract from the appearance of the interior?
    Does anyone have the all weather floor mats? Do they detract from the appearance of the interior?

They WORK. Who cares what they look like?
    They work. They are functional. They are not beautiful, they are industrial.

They work.

They will save the carpet and the carpeted mats from premature wear.

They work.

After not getting them for several cars, I found the cost of getting them was cheaper than the alternatives.

And, they. . . .

Well, you know. :shades:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Mark, I'm glad you didn't neglect to mention that they work! ;)

tidester, host
    They are "industrial" looking... but, not a bad look for an SUV.. Especially if you have an interior with black carpet..

I have a Honda CR-V, and my first thought on seeing them was, "These would be nice in my car"...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I have the all-weather floormats and the cargo mat. I often hike and often take my dogs with me, so rubber mats help enormously with cleanup. (Doesn't keep the fur off the fabric on the sides, though :-).

Do they give the SAV a more "utilitarian" and less "luxurious" appearance? Yes.

Am I glad I have them? Yes.

One note: The BMW mats aren't as "solid" as the Volvo mats in my wife's XC90. But what the hey -- they do the job.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    While mine were from the previous model 5-series, I liked them so much that I never bothered to put the carpeted ones back in during the summer months. Then, when I sold the 530, I told the purchaser that I am keeping those, and now they are in M5. As said aobve, THEY WORK.
  • balapbalap Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    I would appreciate if I could get some insights and advise or if you can share your experience on a scenario like this.
    Our X3 was involved in a accident as the car was trying to make a left turn and we didn't see the car heading down and it crashed onto the front right side. Fortunately no injuries but the front was damaged considerably, no roof/door or windshield damage.
    It is a 05, 3.0, black with about 5k miles on it.(Yes we bought it only in Apr 05 :(.
    I spoke the body work place (reccoed by BMW dealership) and the initial estimate is about $15k, and they are replacing all damaged parts, they want to check more after taking the engine and transmission so may be we are looking at a $20k damage may be not. He says there is damage to the right frame (folded) but since it is ahead of the suspension on the chassis it is very repairable.
    We bought the the X3 for about $39k + taxes (WA state) saved some money as we took european delivery.
    The question I have is, what impact will this kind of repair work have on the resale value if we sell in about 3-4 yrs, say 1 yr after the warranty is over ?
    Also is this damage/costs significant enough to push for totaling the car given the chassis/frame damage ?
    Should we be looking to trade-in or sell the repaired X3 well before warranty ends to get the best deal ?
    Any other things we should either take care of or plan for ?
    Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents discussion too.

Steve, Host
    Hi everyone. I drive a short distance to work, only about 2 miles (I know I could walk but I often have to go out again so I need the car there). Does anyone have any ideas how many miles you should drive to warm up the engine enough so that the oil heats up enough to burn up moisture and impurities? I understand short trips are hard on the engine. What about in zero weather? If the temperature gauge is at normal is that good enough?

• fogdogpdfogdogpd Member Posts: 3
    Assuming the X3 is like my 3-series and 5-series it has synthetic oil in it, which requires virtually no warm-up unless it is really, really cold. Traditional motor oils get really thick in the cold and can cause problems (try pouring a bottle of 10W-30 in 0 degree weather (F) it looks like a gel.) You will not get rid of all the moisture in your exhaust by either letting the car idle or driving just two miles - the solution is to get out and drive once or twice a week and have fun on a half hour ride where the gas pedal sometimes gets pushed to the floor.

Peter
    A brain dead moron decided to park his dilapidated Sentra by ear-the result being a visible gouge in my X3's rear bumper. I'm going to fix it myself, regardless of whether whether or not the idiot's insurance pays. The great thing about the unpainted bumper is that it only costs $192 and the R&R takes all of about 30 minutes.
  • jeffpelljeffpell Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. How are you fixing it? My BMW dealer wants $800 to replace the bumper.
    How are you fixing it? My BMW dealer wants $800 to replace the bumper.

Well, as I said, my dealer only charges $192-with my CCA discount-for the bumper cover. And-based on information I've gathered on a couple of other boards-the R&R is a painfully simple process. What is the itemized breakdown on your dealers estimate? For $800 bucks they better kiss you and send flowers the next morning...
    Thanks fogdogpd for the info...and a half hour run sounds like a good idea.

• timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    I've seen on the BMW website that they'd charge $325 for the Sirius Satellite, but what does a dealer charge including installation? Also I'm interested in finding out the cost of the Universal Tranceiver including installation. I just want to make sure my dealer will be similar to what others have paid.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I've seen on the BMW website that they'd charge $325 for the Sirius Satellite

I'm trying to find that on bmwusa.com.... Where is it on the site?
    On the website, select the X3 as your vehicle & select the "build your own" option. The price of Sirius Satellit Radio is there under the "Accessories" tab/"Entertainment" subtab.

Don't forget, though, that to accomodate the Sirius receiver, the X3 also has to have been "pre-wired" for Satellite Radio. BMW charges an additional $75 for that option. See the "Options" tab/"Entertainment" subtab in the "Build Your Own" page.