Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I remember hearing/reading that other X3 owners were charged $499 for the installation, plus they got some free Sirius airtime (not sure how many months).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    At least you were able to find the BMW site. :shades:

Hitless: BMW Gets "Death Penalty" From Search Engine (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Actually they got caught, a lot of websites don't. Good thing I remembered that BMW USA website is BMWUSA.com. :shades
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    So my dealer should be charging me approximately $825 for Sirius Satellite?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    No, $650 by my reckoning and recollection. . . and you will get one year of Sirius subscription with it.

This was as of May 2005.
    Yeah, something more like $500-$600 sounds about right. I can't remember if the X3 gets 1 year free or 3 months free....
    Great information -- thanks!
  • nancylewisnancylewis Member Posts: 2
    I am a long-time Subaru Outback driver and a strong proponent of AWD. I want to purchase a small SUV and am looking at the Forester, the Jeep Liberty and the BMW X3. I am unable to break through the BMW marketing hype to determine whether the Xdrive system is true full time AWD, with power going all the time to all four wheels. It appears to be an electronic monitoring system, like the RAV4 has, which defaults to 2WD until there is a slippage, at which time it then sends power to the wheels which have traction. Does anyone know the answer to this?
    Xdrive is AWD. All the time AWD.

Xdrive is rear biased, but once slippage is detected, power will go where it can be used even if this means the majority of the power being directed to the front wheels.

Xdirve is a very good system, it is NOT like the RAV4 at all.

Xdrive works well with DSC and ABS and all the other TLA's that these modern AWD cars employ.

With the sport set up AND Servotronic ($250 MSRP) the X3 is more like a 3 series than any SAV/SUV has a right to be.

The X3 is in some ways a Swiss Army Knife of cars -- NOT THE SAK, but "a" very good one, indeed.

Get the stick shift, too, it totally changes the character of the car -- unfortunately the X3 with the auto uses an old design 5 speed that some folks have dubbed "slop-tronic," myself I call it "stutter-tronic," but some folks are not bothered by the lag and frequent up and down hunting for "the right gear."

Besides the mileage is much better with the stick and it is, oh, about 500 times more fun.

:surprise:
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "Get the stick shift, too, it totally changes the character of the car -- "

C'mon Mark, not all of us wnat to make like Mario Andretti --- at least not in an SUV. :P Although I agree I would wait for the 6-sp step, especially since it would come coupled with the 255HP 6.
    The current generation of 6 and 7 speed "conventional" automatics from Audi, BMW and Mercedes are powerful counter arguments to manual transmissions -- concession.

The DSG and I can assume and hope the SMG from Audi and BMW respectively especially since they too will evolve into 7 speeds (more?) are probably the holy grail of the more or less current state of the art.

The previous Audi tip tronic and the 5 speed step tronic do have something that has been oft described with the suffix "lag."

I do not have an axe to grind with automatic transmissions generally speaking. These smart transmissions since about 1998 were pretty good ideas but somehow the first 6 or 7 years of their lives were fraught with programming issues that seemed to worsen as companies desired to make these transmissions contribute to improved fuel economy at the cost of "feeling" and control and confidence.

The X3 with the 5speed step tronic transmissions are less satisfying and I can only assume are a cause, even if slight, of some frustration as the transmission hunts for the right key or stutters from an all but total stop when slowing down.

The X3 with the upgraded step tronic and the 255HP 3.0 I6 ought to be a remarkable improvement and a huge draw for BMW customers and prospects.

We have a current tech X3 with all the toys (and the manual) and returned from another weekender to Pittsburgh from Cincinnati (round trip.) The car was again a major pleasure to drive.

Mario Andretti like driving is NOT the reason for wanting the stick, it is, rather: performance, control, safety and fun (which when combined are part of what Luxury SAV means.)

The current step tronic can't measure up to the stick.

I look for this objection (of mine and some other folks) to be pretty much mitigated completely with the new transmission and new I6.

On the other hand, if you don't mind the issues I have noticed and duly reported, you will most certainly thoroughly enjoy the X3. It is YOUR money.

Drive it like you live. :shades:
    mark, I hear ya. I just think driving stick is a bit of a dying art, so to speak.
    I just think driving stick is a bit of a dying art, so to speak.

Have they been saying that for the last 50 years?
    I don't think so. I think it's a fairly recent phenomenon. Just look at the recent decline in sales of manual transmission cars in comparison to automatics.
    Well, one thing is for certain, you can't dial and talk on a cell phone in a car that requires your feet on three pedals, your hands on a wheel and a gearshift and your eyes on the road.

It is questionable if you can adequately do this in a car with one less pedal and no shifting, but that's another issue.

Hand held cell phones will be disallowed -- if not this year, then soon.

BMW's X3 offers an elegant solution and it is pure BMW -- an in armrest cradle that allows the phone to be used through the steering wheel controls, a directory that is displayed and it also uses the roof top antenna and the X3's battery for power.

It solves the drop out problem about 98%, the battery problem 99.999% and it is much safer to use whilst driving and allows you to shift your manual transmission -- of course you do have to wait until you hit the highway to drink your latte.

• bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    I consider the X3 at the top of my list because of the Manuel transmission. A manny with nice power is a pleasure to drive. An underpowed car to shift is work.

Sure its a dying art, but I am very pleased that BMW offers them in most of their lines!

Mark: Tomorrow you have to drive to Florida. Which Car do you take? The X or the A? Im flopping back and forth!

I learned my lease is up in Sept, not june As I thought.

The rumored redue of the X3 interior (modest Im sure) and the new engine for the 07' model year gives me the opportunity to move in that direction. I have to admit, the panoramic roof is appealing!
    My A6 does get better mileage, so that would be a consideration.

The X3 is a blast to drive, though.

Hmm, for that distance, I guess I'd go with the A6 since the sound system is better.
  • jedrekjedrek Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,

I just past 7K miles mark and.......yesterday morning I had to leave my X3 at dealer to fix major electronic system malfunction.

First I noticed that
    Air Bag System Indicator came ON

Second
    Navigation plus Radio are dead

Third
    Transmission, Brake, Lights and DSC Indicators
    are ON and OFF for irregular time periods.

Generally Dashboard Instrument Panel went Bannanas or South,
    but I was able to drive my car to dealer.

I wander if Anybody else experience something simillar.

p.s.
    waiting for phone call from my dealer
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    E39s exhibit similar symptoms when the battery is about ready to fail.
  • mpt1123mpt1123 Member Posts: 2
    Hello :
    Looks like I'm about to bite the bullet and purchase my first BMW. Just made my last tuition payment for the kids, so now it's my turn.
    I like the 2006 X3. Haven't driven it yet, but from what I read, that won't be an issue. Everyone seems to like it. One thing I find odd ..... there's no security system. Even the cheap Toyota's have a security system. My Jeep has a security system! Nobody wants to steal them. However, I would think a BMW would attract some attention and REQUIRE a security system. I realize the dealer can install one - but that's bogus. I'm a little concerned that I'm purchasing a stripped down X5. What I want is a smaller X5. Thoughts?
    Thanks...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    The only way to steal a BMW is to tow it away... You can't hotwire it..

So, unless you are always going to be within hearing distance at all times (in the mall?, in a restaurant?), then the alarm is a pretty expensive extra.. I don't think it is needed...

When was the last time you got out of bed to investigate your neighbor's alarm going off? I just roll over..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The X5 is, in several aspects and respects, er, the smaller X5.

An issue with the current X3, X5 lineup is the somewhat perplexing size differential of several (many?) key metrics. In some respects the X5 is the smaller X3 then.

Now price and actual weight of the vehicles of course does suggest (accurately) that the X3 IS the smaller of the two.

The point in all that is to say, you give up little in terms of space between the two cars.

"Insider" information suggests the new X5 will be much bigger than the X3 (but the styling will be more X3 than the current X5.)

The 2006 X3 with the body color bumpers and the sport, premium and (assuming you live where it gets cold) winter packages is at once a quite capable SAV and gives up little if anything to a regular 3 series sedan.

The technology used by the Nav and sat radio system is highly functional and eschews the iDrive's er, quirks.

There is one small issue and it is mainly if you are buying the thing -- the options run up the price quickly.

Advanced headlights - yes
    Servotronic - hell yes ($250 option)
    Upgraded stereo - the base system is lame, so, yes

Premium and Sport - brings lots of nice stuff with it

Sat Nav and Radio - what once were vices are now virtues, at first an indulgence then a necessity.

Winter -- heated seats if you live where it gets cold.

We didn't get the privacy glass and we didn't realize it didn't come with Home Link -- kinda wish we did that now.

Didn't do power articulating mirror bodies -- don't miss it at all even at the full automatic car wash.

Did get the in arm rest phone cradle for the Sony T637 bluetooth phone -- oughta be a law requiring this unless you promise never to use a cell phone while driving.

Servotronic -- a powerful and cheap upgrade to the handling, did I say cheap ???? At $250 it would be a damn shame to get one of these without it.

You will probably have to order the car to get the $250 Servotronic option -- it is worth the 7 or 8 week wait.

If you don't get this thing with Servotronic -- don't ever drive one with it. It is, at first, a subtle difference -- then, at speed and over time the differences ARE anything but subtle.

The headlight upgrade too gives you Xenons and articulating headlights -- at first novel, then vital.

Some of the stuff I have suggested clearly could be written off to personal preference -- I will adamantly stick to the Xenons and the Servotronic as very worthwhile. Heck, get the free paint to save $475 if you must. Know also that the sport option gives you much better wheels and tires.

Finally, the auto trans in this iteration is old technology and only 5 speeds (plus they have the gall to charge YOU for it) -- the 6speed manual is FREE (well, no extra charge.) Shhh someone at BMW priced this backwards, so don't even bother with a $1200 old tech automatic.
    Anybody out there have any inside scoop as to what lies ahead for the 2007 X3 model?
    Source -- BMW dealer:

Minor changes for MY 2007, refresh including new engine and transmission slated for MY 2008.

Dealers seem to know later than the rest of us.

I certainly hope the adoption of the 3.0 255HP engine isn't delayed until MY 2008.

I cannot imagine this being the case since the X5 "has" to be replaced sooner rather than later -- but who knows with sufficient financing from BMW financial, they X5 could soldier on, too, until MY 2008.

The dealers, to repeat, seem to be the last ones to know.
    Thanks Mark. I was kind of holding out for the new engine -- more for efficiency than horses. I'm hoping they'll offer it later this year on MY2006.

My fear is the moment I actually take delivery of an X3, design and feature content will improve and I'll be stuck. I waited too long in MY2005 wondering what the MY2006 would be like. I actually prefer MY2005 but I was too late. How many years does BMW continue with a product line before changing it? Isn't it like 5 or 6 years?
    Continuous improvements happen, er, continuously.

Do not hold your breath for the 3.0 255HP engine in MY or CY 2006, my best guess.

The X3 is "the new" body style -- third year is 2006.

Although the painted bumpers, etc, are a pleasant trim update, I had hoped for a new dash replacing the coarse grained current version.

The improvements are all the invisible ones for 2006 from what I can tell.

My wife is hoping the timing works for the 2008's and it should since she has a May 2005 '05 model.

We'll see.

If BMW is like some of the others the MY 2007 cars will be built commencing third quarter of 2006 and arrive here shortly thereafter.

My dealer says "no announcement" regarding the new 3.0 or 6spd steptronic or SMG has been made for MY 2007 though.

I am positive this is more of an issue with the X5 than any other reason.

It wouldn't do to have the 3.0 @ 255 in the X3 when the X5 had the 3.0 @ 225 HP. I read somewhere that BMW can't justify the running change on the X5 and will simply wait for the replacement X5 which is supposed to be more of a Q7 type vehicle with 3rd row rear seating.

Of course all the buzz about the turbo version of the 3.0 makes you wonder why we are piddling around and not getting these new technologies to market sooner.

I know, I know -- economics and marketing.

Same as it ever was. :shades:
    Ack! 2008?! Hmmm.... I should probably do a two-year lease on the existing X3, then when the lease is up, I'll be in the market to buy the 2008MY. Of course, if my beater lasts that long I could just ease into the 2008 by end of MY2007. Interesting stuff for me to consider. Thanks Mark!
  • ycnyc2ycnyc2 Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of getting an 06 x3. out of curiosity, what color does everyone have? i'm leaning towards the silver gray or bluewater, only thing is i've never seen the blue water in person! can anyone who has it describe it? does it look like silver? thnx! :blush:
    I've seen the blue. Looks good. Its light, but I don't think it'd be confused for silver. I'm partial to Highland Green, and I like the Silver-Gray as well.
    Has anyone out there stumbled upon a 6-Speed X3 sitting on the lot? Maybe in bigger cities, or cities with more than one dealership in town. They all seem to be automatics where I come from. My problem is that I don't think I have a chance at getting a decent deal on a car thats not sitting on the lot or on one that I've got to order. And I don't want to settle for an automatic. I've never seen a 6-Speed X3 on the lot in my one-dealership town of Knoxville. Just wondering if anyone else out there has seen them.
    We ordered our 2005 3.0 X3 with virtually every possible option AND the 6spd.

The deal on ordered cars will be NOT one penny worse and according to the dealers (Audi and BMW) can more often than not be better than an inventoried item. Why? The profit margin on an ordered car CAN be better for at least one reason and sometimes more.

For example, regardless of the source of the money, the dealers borrow the money (even if it is from themselves) to finance the inventory they carry. This alone makes the "amount the dealer has into a car" likely to be higher and at the same selling price (as an ordered car) have a lower margin. An on lot car has "carrying costs" in it, sometimes substantial carrying costs (as a percentage of Net Profit, i.e.) Other costs may or may not contribute to the ordered car's attractiveness for the dealer -- but the trade off is the dealer, if only offering ordered cars, would loose the "instant gratification crowd" which is the vast majority of purchasers. :confuse: Sign of the times, I guess. No patience to wait for the one the way YOU want it, so you "settle" for what's on the lot, telling yourself, often, that "well, at least I got the color I wanted," and puttering off, wishing you had one with heated seats or upgraded sound system or sat nav.

Damn. I hate when that happens.

In our fair city, there was ONE X3 3.0 w/a 6speed (a customer had ordered it and changed his mind) during our initial test drive. It was, other than Premium Pack and Sport Package pretty much a strippie.

We test drove the steptronic and felt like "running away" it was so crude (it constantly shifts up a gear, down a gear at the slightest grade change -- even with the 3.0.)

So, we configured the car -- and wanted both the stick and the secret weapon SERVOTRONIC ($250) steering -- 7 weeks later our car came in and the price that we had negotiated 7 weeks prior was "a better deal" than ANY car on the lot by almost $15 per month on a 36 month 45K mile lease with $250 (the cost of the Servotronic) down.

At just under $47,000 the X3 was $581 per month, including tax. We did add the in-arm-rest BMW brand phone mounting cradle and dealer sourced Kleen Wheels for a total additional out of pocket cost of ~ $450. We added these accessories within a month of purchase since the phone uses the car's battery and the car's roof top shark fin antenna for clearer, drop-out-free (and hands free) phoning with our tiny tiny Sony T637 Bluetooth phone.)

Ordering is often LESS money.

6speed manuals are almost never put in inventory -- and more's the pity, for once you drive an X3 3.0 with a stick you will swear you are driving a BMW 3 series -- it is just soooo good.

Servotronic, servotronic -- don't leave home without it.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    You are right that it is more profitable for the dealer if you order. But by the same arguement, most dealers are more willing to move the inventory since they are a drag on the floor plan. Loss minimization of sort.
  • x3cubsfanx3cubsfan Member Posts: 1
    I ordered an X3 with a 6-Speed about 3 weeks ago. I'm in So. California and the dealer did a search in the western U.S. and came up with only 2 on dealer lots. Like you, I refuse to settle for an automatic. I will take delivery in May, and I think the X3 will be a kick to drive the the manual. Also, I will own something rather unique, which I think is cool.

Good luck!
  • analyzeranalyzer Member Posts: 5
    Can you still order a 2006? I live in Vancouver WA and would probably order from Rasmussen BMW of Portland (OR) or Kuni BMW of Beaverton but I'm wondering how much time I have left.
    We ordered a 6spd manual X3 at the end of March 2005.

It took 7 weeks to come in.

If the timetable remains about the same, you probably have another 2 weeks or so to order a 2006. If you wait until May, my bet would be, however, that the car would probably be an '07.

The dealer should know the dates for the MY's.

We negotiated EVERYTHING when we ordered the car.

Down payment = $250
    Term = 36 months
    Miles = 45,000 total
    Due @ delivery = sec dep + first mo payment ($581)

Ordered X3 3.0, 6sp.
    Gloss Black
    Teracotta Montana Leather
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Bi-Xenons / adaptive headlights
    Upgraded Sound System
    Sirius
    Servotronic Steering (VERY IMPORTANT and $250.00 MSRP)
    Satellite Navigation
    Parktronic (F+R)
    In arm-rest BMW Sony T637 phone cradle

Regrets: privacy glass not ordered; and, we assumed the car would come with HomeLink (it doesn't); also, the car does NOT come with folding power mirrors as do almost every other German car costing north of $46K.

We added dealer accessory called KleenWheels (about $110.00) and carpeted (came with the car) AND rubber BMW mats.

We love the car. Have 16,000+ miles on it. Has had two replacement sets of wiper blades and one oil/filter change.
    mark, I know you're a BIG fan of servotronic. But, interesting enough, the reaction from the automotive press has been lukewarm at best on this feature. I can't quote the sources exactly, but I recall reading comments to the effect of "could take it or leave it" to "option to avoid, along with iDrive".
  • jedjed Member Posts: 24
    In my opinion the steel blue color looks great in some lights but a little lavender in others. Because of this we opted for the silver gray and except for the fact that more than half the rest of x3 owners seem to have done the same, I'm happy with the color.
    If possible take a test drive of two X3's one with and one without Servotronic.

I have read some of the reviews of some of the OTHER BMW's with the Servotronic steering -- I know what you mean.

Here is one immediate difference that you can feel:

The road feel improves with speed with the Servotronic steering. The degree of effort to turn the wheel at very low speeds (and when you have a stick shift you may turn the wheel from time to time with only one hand) decreases.

Servotronic as implemented in the X3 decreases the steering effort the slower the car goes, regardless of engine speed.

Conversely, the road feel and the effort required INCREASES along with road speed.

My Audi A6 (2005) has it, my previous Audi did not have it and it seemed overly boosted and isoltated from the road feel at speed. At the time, I was not unhappy with it.

We got the Servotronic X3 first -- and actually, as I recall at the suggestion of edmunds.

If you can drive an X3 with and without, I suspect you will notice the difference and like it.
  • rlourlou Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered my from a So.Cal dealer. The price is excellent, $300 over invoice.
  • ycnyc2ycnyc2 Member Posts: 3
    Got my X3, in Silver gray, premium package, cold weather, navigation. Love it! I've gotten so many compliments on the car! Definitely love the servotronic, i think the difference is definitely noticeable. :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats to you new owners. Please report on your deals in the Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences board.

Steve, Host
    I thought you could order a current MY all the way up until the fall of that particular year. When I talked to my dealer back in 2005 he told me that 2006 production started in October 2005 and that I could still order a 2005MY as late as September. I would think that one could still order a 2006 all the way up to September of this year too. Can anyone verify production dates?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I can't recall the X3 production dates, but in the past, many BMWs start the new model year with August production, and September delivery...

Of course, that could vary according to changes being made, etc...

I would say typically... that current model cars have to be ordered for July production..

Plenty of exceptions to that rule, though..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Why not go to a dealer and place an order or at least ask about one and find out what MY will be delivered.

At this point, I do believe you will still be able to order a 2006.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    This months "CAR AND DRIVER" reports the 3 series coupe is finnally be making its way soon, and a new 300hp twin turbo will be engine choice on it. Not to replace the M3.

I was thinking this might also make its way to other lines, in particular the X3.
  • hulaboyhulaboy Member Posts: 1
    I own a BMW X3 and there is no explanation in the poor manual on how to change the clock to normal timm. I know how to change the time but can't change the military time to normal time. Can anyone help me?
    Push the menu button.

Scroll to "Settings"

Change from 12hr or 24hr

Change hour

Change minute

Save it.

I always advise folks to read manuals.

Execption: I almost always advise people to never read car manuals.

I share your frustration. Try figuring out where the clock change settings are on Audis MMI the first time.

Our X3 is a 2005.
  • gmfox02gmfox02 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 2.5 X3. For months now I have noticed a strong acrid chemical smell in the passenger compartment of the car. I notice it most often when the car has been sitting and with all the windows closed for a period of time. I can leave it in my garage overnight and the next morning the chemical smell is very strong. I have taken it to local dealer 3 times and now the smell is back. I took the car 2 days ago for the same problem and they told they sprayed something on a filter and it shouldn't come back. Guess what? The smell is back after only 2 days. Has anyone else noticed this in their X3? I am worried about my health concerns driving the car with this chemical in the air of the passenger area.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The dealer was probably thinking there might be mold in the evaporator unit or the filter. The only "chemicals" in the car at this point are: gas, oil, a/t fluid, diff fluid, p/s fluid, brake fluid, washer fluid, anti-freeze, some heavy grease. You should be able to identify them by smell.

There have been complaints of mold, especially after heavy a/c duty use. One thing that has been talked about is to run the fan without the a/c for a couple of minutes before the car is shut off.