Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    Maybe you should reserve final judgement until you've driven it

True, but those are my first impressions. Unfortunately I can't test drive every car out there (wish I could) but my comments were just from the looks and the review....could be a great car to drive, but I have never heard anyone rave about the MDX for its handling. In fact, most reviews say if you buy a Pilot you will get basically the same vehicle and save $1,000's.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    According to MotorTrend's latest issue, RDX walks all over X3 in the handling department. SH-A system seems to work. If they price it $5k or so less than X3, you can't ignore it.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    From early indications, the RDX will not be your father's MDX! ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like everyone in here is pretty happy with their BMWs. Thanks for reading the blurb.

There's also a new luxo MB SUV arriving, albeit bigger than the X3, but newcomers probably don't want me sending y'all down another garden path this soon. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The new interior, engine and transmission should darn near cure almost everthing that ails the X3.

Unfortunately, the 255 HP engine will probably be seen by some as too little and too late considering that all the SUV type things out there these days seem to START at at least 250HP.

Hopefully the 3 series interior treatment (or better) will be given to the X3 -- iDrive included (sorry if you don't like it.)

Too, it would be pretty cool if BMW were to adopt/adapt the 7 speed transmission similar to the one used by Mercedes -- that would probably cure some of the ills caused by the relatively low power engine it will have at 255HP.

Of course, I can dream of a mild turbo treatment, can't I?

:shades:
    According to MotorTrend's latest issue, RDX walks all over X3 in the handling department.

Could be.....I'll believe it when I see it or another reviewer who has actually tested it. It is worth a look if it is priced $10,000 lower than the X3, which is what they seem to be claiming...$30,000.

Was there a comparo of the two?
    "Hopefully the 3 series interior treatment (or better) will be given to the X3 -- iDrive included (sorry if you don't like it.)"

I can live with iDrive. But leave out the keyless ignition, thank you very much. ;)
    Was there a comparo of the two?

I can't find any testing on the new RDX. davidc1 says there is a favorable article for RDX in Motor Trend...great handling. Anything I can find talks about the RDX being available,or available soon, but no real road test or comparison.

Sounds like an interesting engine. 255 HP from a four!
    RDX could be a keeper, but I am not impressed with the looks.

Can someone buy a car if they don't really like the looks?

• juanchyprjuanchypr Member Posts: 17
    According to MotorTrend's latest issue, RDX walks all over X3 in the handling department. :cry: :sick: ">link title

Handling Department :confuse:

Motor Trend need to read this article :)

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2060324.007/country/gcf/bmw/bmw-is-n- o.1-all-wheel-drive-supplier-in-premium-segment
    "Can someone buy a car if they don't really like the looks?"

I would say so...I see lots of BMW 5-series around!
    Maybe I am missing something but I can't get to the Motor Trend link.
    The url has a great picture of an X3 and some good copy.
    I'd like to see the comparison or should I buy a copy of MT?

I would say so...I see lots of BMW 5-series around!
    I don't like the looks of the X5 either, but surely the people who buy one must think they look good.

Although my wife would buy a car based on safety features first, but I think looks have to be acceptable. Maybe I am more shallow.

I'm referring to the 5-series sedans. I love the looks of the X5, as I think most people do.

I agree that if one is spending $30K+ on a vehicle, looks have to be acceptable, which I think the RDX is. It's not a knockout (at least not in photos), but it is certainly acceptable.

The only car I've ever bought which would have hooked me on looks alone is the TL (not to say it doesn't have other attributes). For all the others, looks probably wasn't one of the top 2 factors.
  • pgeterspgeters Member Posts: 12
    Well, the news wasn't all bad for the X3:

First of all, MT said that in the world of "SUVs that no longer ride like lumbering buses" BMW took the lead in this "exclusive segment" with the X3 several years ago.

Also Acura made it clear that the X3 was their target. Acura's engineer's goal was to "beat the BMW" (X3). They even gave the journalists an X3 so they could compare. That's nice that they think so highly of it.

Plus, later in the article, they said that they thought the RDX steering was "hesitant and not communicative" especially when compared to the X3. That just happens to be a large part of what I like about the X3.

Ummm, their 4 wheel drive system normally sends 90% of the power to the front wheels. Car and Driver said that with the "front-biased power delivery" that the RDX "behaves like a front-drive vehicle and understeer is it's defining characteristic". That walks all over the X3?

Autoweek said: "But we prefer the X3 by a fair margin over twisty two-lanes, despite Acura’s claim the RDX’s use of high-strength steel makes it torsionally stiffer than the X3."

Ahh, their storage space is 10 cu ft. smaller than the X3 (61 vs. 71).

C&D estimated about the same 0-60 time as the X3.

What else, oh yeah, the RDX is ugly!!! OK that may be subjective, but still... Makes the X3 look amazing IMHO. Big thanks to Acura for making me like the looks of the X3 more!
    Thanks for the update pgeters. This makes more sense than;
    According to MotorTrend's latest issue, RDX walks all over X3 in the handling department
    In fact, sounds like more positives for the X3 than the RDX. European cars lead the way in engineering, and the Japaneese are quick to copy at a lower price. Nothing wrong in that, it is just that the copy is always one step behind.
    IMO the Japanes have gone to this Montero, FX, look to distinguish their cars in the marketplace. That cartoonish style that looks like a Beatle on steroids will look ridiculous in a few years...it already does now.

I'm referring to the 5-series sedans. I love the looks of the X5, as I think most people do.

If it wasn't for the X3 I would not have bought an X5. I don't like the looks of it. I would have got a Rover even if the reliability is not very good. To me, the X5 looks like a giant car, and not attractive car either.

Now the 5-Series I like as with most BMW's it has smooth lines and classic cues that will make it look good 10 years from now.

• davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Hey, I just repeated what they said. If anything, I like that there'll be more competition for X3, Mazda CX7 being another interesting alternative. Both RDX and CX7 seems to be more about handling on dry/wet pavement. I also expect better fuel economy from both. Both Acura and Mazda will be priced well below X3. I too dislike the looks of RDX but I haven't seen one in person yet. Also, the looks grow on you over time. Didn't like the new 5 series when it first appeared but it doesn't look so bad now. In all likelyhood, X3 will still be my next purchase. I like that we have more to compare it with.
    I agree, it will be good to have more competition to choose from in this market. I don't think I will ever like the styling of the RDX though.
    What happened to square cars with big windows? I actually like a 1996 BMW 3 Series more than a 2006.
    I wonder if handling and safety can be as good with mostly front wheel drive?
    Not blaming you, and the information is interesting and worth knowing about....like to get some real hard facts first though.

Maintenance is the key. ;)

I did not receive any comments, regarding this topic. At the end what is really important on a car, in a house, in a boat, etc. is maintenance.

BMW offer a very competitive maintenance program for todays market.
    If you have to paid for it on the car price, :confuse: , it could be possibly or it’s true.

When you expect just oil change for Inspection I, and when you returned to picked up your car, they bring a 7 pages report, and with comments on all of the items.
    You can feel :) and your car also feel :)

X33.0_2004_Alpine White_Gray Montana_Steptronic">

Inspection I – Report
    A. BMW Inspection I incl. old oil disposal
    1 – 11-42-7-512-300 Oil filter Insert
    7 – 07-51-0-017-866 Oil 5W30 Synthetic
    Core Charge W
    1 – 64-31-1-000-004 Microfilter
    1 – 83-12-0-405-180 Windshield Washer

B. Check all coils and replace if Bremi are found
    C. Check and apply OBD Label
    D. 3411609 Removing and installing or replacing front disc
    Pads 2.00mm Disc 22.9mm both were replaced
    1 – 34-11-3-404-362 Brake Lining
    1 – 34-35-3-411-756 Sensor
    2 – 34-11-3-400-151 Brake Disc
    E. Removing and installing or replacing rear disc
    Pads 2.00mm Disc Ok - Pads were replaced
    1 – 34-21-3-403-241 Brake Lining
    1 – 34-35-3-411-757 Sensor
    F. Replacing both windshield rubbers
    1 – 61-61-3-424-489 Wiper Blade
    1 – 61-61-3-424-490 Wiper Blade
    G. Fuel System Tank
    1 - 16-11-6-756-772 Filler Cap

SIB 51-28-05
    H. Replacing Rubber Guide on both front door windows
    1 - 51-33-3-424-493 Window Guide
    1 - 51-33-3-424-494 Window Guide
    I. Replacing rubber guide on both rear door windows
    1 - 51-35-3-424-495 Window guide
    1 - 51-35-3-424-496 Window Guide

PLEASE PAY THIS AMOUNT: $0.00 :blush:
    PLEASE PAY THIS AMOUNT: $0.00

That is amazing, and one thing a lot of people don't think of when they just think BMW's are expensive.

They might actually cost less when you take things like this into account, and the trade in value...which is about the highest if not the highest around. And, in the meantime you have a beautifully designed, safe and great handling car to enjoy.

That list would have been 1/3 the size, or less, if they had to charge the customer. The dealer knows he can get paid from BMW corporate. And BMW corporate, to a large degree, would pay without much fuss, because they would just pad the cost to the selling prices of their cars. So..."PLEASE PAY THIS AMOUNT: $0.00" -- it's not actually $0.00. You've already paid. Up front too, if I may add! :P
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I don't know... it sure feels good to drive off without having to take out your wallet...

By comparison, a 30K service on a Honda or Toyota will run $250-$400 (add 30% for Lexus/Acura). If you need brakes, add $250 per axle. It is a real savings.

Everyone says you are paying for it... But, if your choices are leasing a 325i for $500/mo, or an IS250 for $500/mo., then the "free" maintenance on the BMW makes it that much cheaper than the Lexus..

I don't think the list gets any shorter for the paying customer, than for BMW corporate.. Ask anyone who has taken their BMW to the dealer for the 60K Inspection II.. :surprise:

I've seen it from both sides... I vote for free (or included, if you prefer) maintenance.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

"..it sure feels good to drive off without having to take out your wallet..."

You don't have to...they took it from you already! :P
    BMW offer a very competitive maintenance program for todays market.
    If you have to paid for it on the car price, :confuse: , it could be possibly or it’s true.

What is better to see the bottle full half or empty half ?? ;)

I prefer full half... :cry: in my arm

:) X33.0_2004_Alpine White_Gray Montana_Steptronic
    Much to the chagrin of my liver, my bottle is always empty. :sick: :P My glass, however, is always 3/4 full! ;)
    For the record I will change my mind. I saw a beautiful shiny black X5 and also a silver Nissan Pathfinder and they both looked great.
    These vehicles are way too large for me to be interested in them, but these two looked sharp...so I have officially notified everyone involved.
    Still not impressed with the looks of the RDX but it could grow on me. I thought the new Camry looked pretty ugly, but I am getting used to it.

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    For the record I will change my mind. I saw a beautiful shiny black X5 and also a silver Nissan Pathfinder and they both looked great.

I also like the design and engineering of Nissan products. I ran a first generation Pathfinder for over 130K before I sold it to the owner of my indie BMW shop(go figure). If/when I ever sell the farm(literally) my first purchase-after I nab an orange M1 of course-will be an Imola X5 4.8is. I'll get it a vanity plate that reads "12 MPG" as well as three magnetic bumper stickers, which I'll rotate according to my mood:

"EARTH FIRST! We'll Strip Mine the Other Planets Later."
    "I Love Spotted Owls-They Taste Just Like Chicken!"
    "This is a Hybrid Vehicle: It Burns Gas and Rubber!"
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Somebody's already got you beat :P I saw a Dodge Magnum SRT-8 on Staten Island about a month ago with a vanuty plate that read : 9 MPG

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Drat! ;)
  • sweepssweeps Member Posts: 1
    Where in the glove box, does the rechargeable flashllight plug in? I just purchased a certified pre-owned 2004 X3. The dealer gave me the flashlight but the he could not find where it plugs in. He said it goes someplace in the glove box. I have searched and not been able to locate where it to plug it in.

A MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION: The manual does not seem to have accurate instructions on how to operate the panoramic sunroof. What I mean is -- when I follow the manual, it does not operate the way it is supposed to. I am trying to open the glass part way and also the visor part way.

Thanks very much for any help.
  • lr3x3lr3x3 Member Posts: 2
    My X3 is going into the dealership for the 4th time to resolve the rattling windows, creaking tailgate, airbag sensor passenger seat and now the creaking underneath the drivers seat.

are there any service bulletins out there that address this issue. i feel like my dealership thinks i am making this up/
    The service bulletin that is available at this moment is for the doors creaking. :)

Your dealer have to replace your 4 doors seals, of course depends on the year :cry: of your X3, only 2004 - 1/2 2005 :blush:

But, the best thing for all kind of noises in cars and I hope that you have your audio upgraded and if you do not have the upgrade, the basics work excellent too. Raises the volume of your radio with your favorite music and all the noises disappears like magic. ;)

:P X33.0_2004_Alpine White_Gray Montana_Steptronic
  • tinacincinnatitinacincinnati Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 X3 3.0 with the 6speed manual and sport package (with the 18" A/S tires.)

The car has over 20,000 miles on it, but the issue I am having has been around since the beginning.

When I round a corner with what seems to me to only be a hint of speed, my DSC kicks in which is a little unnerving. Perhaps my years of sport sedan driving have taught me to round a curve with too much speed for the X3. I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience.

Thank you.
    Are you related to Mark? ;)
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Not sure, the post is too short!

And wouldn't Mark already have the answer?

Maybe Mark can answer her via the forum! :blush:
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Tina - I would think since you can replicate this issue almost at will you can demonstrate it to the dealer who can determine if the DSC circuitry is faulting.

You left out some details, such as how fast you take turns, road conditions, tire conditions etc. But you do know the DSC can be turned off completely. :blush
    Okay, okay - yes Mark is my husband and I did check with him first and he can't figure it out either!
    Your suggestions are good. I do know that the DSC can be turned off, but that has its own risks. The most recent time that this happened, I was not going that fast around a moderate turn (but I did not look at the speedometer) and the road and tire conditions were very good.

I like the idea of replicating it for the dealer.

Thank you,
    Tina
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Manual transmission... Just moved to an SUV from a car...

I think I have your answer!!

slow down ;)

I'll be keeping my eye out for a black X3 careening around the corners in the northern suburbs... lol.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Well...my sedans had a manual, too! I'll keep your suggestion in mind, though.

I try to keep the careening to an absolute minimum!

Thank you for your response.

Tina
    Tina appears...Mark seems to have disappeared. :confuse: Could Mark and Tina be the same person??! :surprise: Nah! Couldn't be. But it reminds me of an old movie -- Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde...this guy changes from a man to a woman :blush: ...Mark changes into Tina and one side effect is the average length of his posts on Townhall is reduced by 1500 words! :P ;)
    She's a lawyer -- and, she's just getting warmed up, I'd wager. She asked me to post her question since I could not figure out why the DSC kept intervening as she cornered ever so slightly above a "normal" speed.

Ask your question, I suggested.

And, that is how we got where we are with Husband and Wife now part of the edmund's blogging family.

The family that blogs together, stays together.

This reminds me very little of the time in 1977 when. . .

just kidding.

Now where are those extra 1500 words, I know I put them around here somewhere. :P
    Hmm...one would've thought a lawyer would be the wordy one! :confuse: :P

Just ribbing you, Mark. We enjoy your long eloquent monologues.....sort of ;) ...just don't post the list of equipment on your X3 again :cry: :P
    Perhaps this data should be part of a profile. I have actually posted elsewhere and been queried about the packages and options, etc., apparently so the poster asking a question could put things in perspective.

On another forum I frequent, some of the folks "signatures" actually detail their current "garage" and some of the even more ravenous folks post their long term history with automobiles.

I seriously doubt many people would go back in time to check the equipment list that has been previously posted and sometimes when I am trying to make a point, I just wish the "profile" would contain the pertinent info.

None of this has anything to do with the DSC "malfunction" though (if it really is a malfunction.)

The only thing I can even remotely offer up as a cause for this (other than to suggested as did our host for Tina to SLOW DOWN) is another question: is the stiffness of the sport suspension in any way helpful in causing this phenom?

Background: DSC uses a variety of data from sensors. One of the data points is "G force" vs the position of the steering wheel, versus the speed and the "difference" in speed between wheels at the opposite ends of an axle.

When I have actually noticed it, it seems that the road surface, while dry, did have some gravel or dirt on it and perhaps the combination of all of the above caused some wheel slippage and difference calculations to trigger the DSC to step in and apply the brake on the inner wheel (?) to reduce "pending" oversteer.

She's a hot rod -- she just won't admit it. :shades:
    Autobild a german mag has pics on its website of the new model. I saw a preview on another forum and it looks nice.

The interior has some modest upgrade, most inclusive are some trim pieces. Nice look.

No mention or visual of the iDrive. This suprised me. I thought we'd see a double hump dash with it standard. Personally I don't want NAV, but I want a cool display. HMMMM........

Platnum color paint looked great!

The exterior has some black cladding on the bumpers. It splits the front and it looks good. Nothing major. IMO the mono painted bumpers made the truck look tall, this takes the best of the nonpainted look with a more upscale look and makes it again sporty. Compromise wins! Back looks still a bit busy, but its ok.

They mentions possible LED or special rear lights but the US spec model is not mentioned. The fast 268hp diesel is mentioned but I doubt that makes it over.

I must say that this vehicle is moving up to my list.

I prefer a sedan but Xdrive, 255 hp, 6 spd manual tranny, panoramic roof, tight BMW ride all for under 45k is very appealing! Full Maintnance included.

I will wait into the model year and lease. I suspect while this is a great package, it still will command a premium price and perhaps BMW will see to still subsidize the lease a bit. 60plus% residual and a bit off the price might make for good solid value.

Autobild has a website, check it out!
  • spindoc1spindoc1 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks bargomon for the autobild info. I don't read german but was able to navigate through the website to get to the X3 info and pictures. I didn't see too many (if any) changes to the interior, the exterior - rear more square with ?LED's. Obviously the big change will be the new engine but I could not decipher the german text to get the engine specs. Here is the link:

http://www.autobild.de/test/neuwagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=11680

There are 16 pictures including interior (click on "16 Bilder" for the pictures). Enjoy and decide for yourself!!!
    Overall...I like it!! :shades: :D Especially the front end with the new bumper treatment. Similar to the current X5, which is much better than all body-color, or all-black plastic. Meatier tires/wheels would make it look even better. As it is now, the tires/wheels look slightly undersized, in both height and width.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    272 hp 3 liter engine? 0 to 60 in 7.5? Looks like it might be a winner.
    I thought URL's were banned? Ok, then here is the most up to date info. Seems we get less horse power but quicker time! What ever!

link title