Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• tkostkos Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input, that's what I thought. Judging by the dealer stock around here, I thought maybe I was missing something! Well I guess I am...I finding that the price of the S-10 4wd extended cab is about the same as a 4wd 2-dr Blazer. Now I'm debating the additional covered cargo space vs the utilitarian use of the pickup. I imagine I'm not alone. I guess that answers the question of why stock is so lean on the S-10.

Thanks again!
  • jauto98jauto98 Posts: 77
    hello all... I have a 1997 GMC Sonoma regular cab, short bed with the 2.2 liter engine with automatic. Currently I have about 30,000 miles on it and have noticed my tires (uniroyal tiger paws) are wearing pretty significantly. I have done several alignments and the truck goes straight. Wondering if anyone could suggest a good replacement tire that will handle well in both wet and dry conditions....thanks
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    I would go with Michelin,probabaly x's.
    I own a 99 Sonoma with 20,000 and the Uniroyal tires look new,I rotate every 8,000 and can't figure out what your problem might be.Gravel roads maybe?
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,138
    I agree with joe3891 - I prefer Michelin tires (the Uniroyals tend to squeal a lot during parking maneuvers). That said, when our truck had 90,000 miles on it, one of the tires was destroyed courtesy of a large piece of scrap metal in the road. We went ahead and replaced all four tires with the same Uniroyals for under $300. The dealer said that if it weren't for the damage, the tires would have easily gone 100,000 miles. The truck now has ~142,000 miles on it, and the tires are still in great shape after 50,000 miles. Can't imagine why they would wear out in 30k, unless you haul a lot of heavy loads.
    don't know what the deal is. I always rotate my tires every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, or when it doesn't feel like the truck is going straight. According to a trusted mechanic, he claims the tires on the sonoma aren't worth anything. He also said they aren't considered truck tires and gave me reasons why they were wearing down. He said I only had 5-10k miles until they need to be replaced, so I have a while to go. There has been a lot of road construction in my area, though there are a lot of freshly paved roads I travel on too. So I don't know what the deal is. When my truck had 15,000 - 20,000, they seemed like new but about 25k, they started to wear out quick. I also live in the south, so maybe the heat may have something to do with it. I was thinking about getting some Bridgestone Duelers, they seem great. Any comments???
  • Sorry it took so long to respond I've been busy. K&N was the parts I've used. At the time I got an unbelievable deal for them, It cost me a little over $600 for the whole set. You can look at "TruckPerformance.com" for the parts. That is the site I order from. It's easy to order from and they have reputable service. But I must warn you, Installing the whole package took a full day with common tools (hand tools,impact gun/air compressor and a small welder) and having the rear of truck on jack stands. Unless your mechanically inclined and have a variety of tools about, I wouldn,t suggest doing this type of job yourself. I had a backache for a couple of days. It does come with the self satisfaction feeling and bragging rights that you did it yourself..
  • barlitzbarlitz Posts: 752
    I've got a 00 ZR2,I ordered the Borla cat back along with the volant air flow kit from truckperformance.com, installed them myself there is a noticable difference with the exhaust and air kit, and my gas milage has gone up considerably. So far no problems what so ever with truck,I've got the 3.73 gears trucks got some good acceleration too. Right now truckperformance is having a good sale, also try www.consumerworld.com and punch in car parts in the coupon finder, they'll come up with some good online coupons for www,carparts.com
  • cajun626cajun626 Posts: 54
    I want to replace my factory radio with a cd player. Does the front of the dash have to be removed in order to remove the radio? Will I need a kit for the connections and/or faceplate?
  • ddavis001ddavis001 Posts: 14
    How does one adjust this 3rd door? Also, how can I tighten the door panels (mainly, the drivers side)? It seems to be rattling more and more.

I like My GMC Sonoma with the ZQ8 package, but I'm not really in the mood to mess with the dealership, right now. :)

Thanks.
  • rob129rob129 Posts: 8
    Check messages 465,469,474: I have had my truck back for over a month and have had no problems with the shifting from 1st to 2nd.GMC dealership where device was done replaced a valve and then drilled out. Although warranty had expired they said it should still be covered and I haven't heard from them since. Hopefully I won't.
  • I read this article, which mentions that the next generation S-10 will be built by Isuzu.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/BUSINESS/03/16/q.mateja.chevy/

Apparently GM is going to partner to design it's smaller vehicles.

Tony

What valve was replaced,what did they drill out and where?
  • jim4444jim4444 Posts: 124
    What about the GM built S10 with all new inline engines?
  • kjrinnckjrinnc Posts: 2
    Even though we hear many horror stories in this forum, heres some good news. Ive owned a 1990 s-10 blazer with the 4.3 engine. 9 years and 213,000 miles later and ABSOLUTELY NO MAJOR REPAIRS, she is still trucking. (no pun intended). She has towed a boat for the last 5 years and has never had more than a water pump, one battery and one alternator. Thats it. Changeing the oil every 3000 miles does wonders. Any other good news out there?
    A guy at work has a '90 S10 4.3 TBI only burned half a quart of oil in 125,000 miles.

Hopefully the new I'6's will be as reliable!
  • cwo4cwo4 Posts: 90
    I've just purchased a 2001 GMC Sonoma SLS. Got all the goodies I wanted, 5 speed (real trucks have to be shifted) AC, AM/FM/CD, bucket seats etc. Rebates were the deciding factor, $3000 off sticker plus what the dealer chipped in. Really happy. I hope Edmunds is wrong in their "spotty build quality" statement in the review. The also panned the Toyota ECHO. I love that little car. I'll be reading other owner comments. If anyone knows of a Chevy S-10/ GMC Sonoma page similar to the www.fordranger.com page, please let me know.
  • 96flea96flea Posts: 38
    Chevrolet! What it really stands for: Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Technology!
    I see the gov has finally forced Ford to recall about a zillion defective ignition switches that Ford said are ok,Ford thinks it normal for their vehicles to quit going down the road at any time.They all have their problems.
  • barlitzbarlitz Posts: 752
    check out www.ZR2.com there is a lot of good reading over there with some links to other Chevy sites.
  • cwo4, congrats on the SLS. Just bought an S-10 with the $3,000 rebate myself. Add that in to the package discount on options on the two vehicles and it was an incredible deal. My only gripe after 4,200 miles is the fuel tank seems to go from 1/4 to about empty within 10-15 miles, just think there is a sensor problem. Otherwise love the truck as a commuter vehicle. Be glad you got a 2001. Check out the price bump with similar equipment on the 2002s.
    Save that $3000 cause yer gonna need it for future breakdowns and car rentals.
  • The S-10 and Sonoma are about as low tech and simple as you can get transportation-wise, I have no worries about breakdowns or problems. Now Jason, I realize you're a Ford guy, I have a 2000 8 foot bed 5.4 XL F-150, but hey a good deal is a good deal. The S-10 was bought solely as a cheap commuter vehicle. Though I did notice that the Ranger now has a $2,500 rebate and the F-150s have a $1,500 rebate with 3.9% APR financing. Also very good deals.
    I also had a 95 F-150 and a 98 Ranger. Liked them both. The deal I got on the Sonoma was particularly good, totaling almost $4K below sticker. The local Ford dealer didn't try very hard to sell me a new Ranger, the GMC dealer did. I'm not anti-Ford, anti-Toyota or anti anybody. I am cost conscious though, and 3 years and 36,000 miles is plenty of time to judge the character of the truck.
    I do agree that Rangers are $$$$$$! But my Ranger that i bought was an odd ball. Its a Splash w/4.0, auto, reg. cab. Thing is i was told all Splashes come w/power windows & power locks. Mine has niether. Also 98 Rangers w/4.0 came w/ 5speed automatics. Well, my 96 has a 5 speed tranny. I like it cause no fancy stuff on it at all. It does have air and cruize. Guess i got a good deal on it. I bought it at a Chevy dealer for $9000 in Nov. of 99. Funny thing was is it was in a parking lot with nothing but full size Chevy pick-ups. Couldn't even see the Ranger once looking down that line of Chevys'.
  • For some reason the Splashes haven't held their value initially. Maybe the Edge model will do better. But it is a stylish truck no doubt about it. I seem to remember the 5-speed automatic coming around maybe in 1999 or 2000, don't think the 98's had them. I agree that a ranger or S-10 can get "lost" among the behemoths, but parking one is definitely a lot easier. My LB F-150 is a terror to drive in the big city. Another reason why I like my S-10.

Chevy and GMC did enjoy a price advantage for 2001, but it appears that this has changed for 2002. With the Ranger now looking like the better deal.
    Buy an Xtreme,ZR2 or Crew Cab and your only option (other than the 4 cyl Xtreme) appears to be what radio you want, they come fully loaded.

All extra cabs have the "love it or hate it" your getting a 3rd door. No 4 door extra cab. DOH!

Its a way to save money and speed up production I'm sure. Looks like the new S10 will be here in 2003.
    2.2 liter, 5 speed. I continue to love this truck. 23 combined mpg, really comfortable with the lumbar adjustment, AC that gets you cold even on 95 plus days, great stereo and CD. Built well, no squeaks or rattles (yet). Like the TV Ad says about the Chevy S-10 "Like a Rock" and just as fast. The only complaint I have is the shift advisory light that comes on when it wants you to upshift. Is there an easy way to disable this function without voiding your warranty or messing with the wiring? Otherwise, I'm as happy as can be. My wife even likes the truck. Life is good!
    You could always disassemble the dash to get to the gauge cluster and put electrical tape or something heavy duty and not too noticeable over the shift light...
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Hi everyone. I am new to this group, and my name is Tom.

I just bought a 1989 S-10 SWB, regular cab, two wheel drive truck that had 134,500 miles on it. It was a rebuilt truck that had been totalled by an insurance company.

The dealer that I bought it from told me that the damage was strictly comestic damage and that the truck should be fine. (It doesn't take much damage on such an old truck to have it totalled by an insurance company.)

I've had the truck since July 16th, and I absolutely love it! After the dealer repaired all the damage, that truck looks almost new!

I have already put 1800 miles on it, and it has not used a drop of oil. I get anywhere from 23 to 24 MPG in my normal commuting, a drive of 27 miles each way. The last tank of gas included one longer trip in addition to a few trips to work, and I got 25.6 MPG!

The truck has the 2.8 V6 with a five speed tranny.

It holds the road real well, with no pulling to either side and no wandering around. Drives like a new one!

I am totally happy with it, and I only paid $2450.00 for it with tax and all!

If you would like to see a pic, go to the jeep wrangler owners club and look in the photo gallery section. ( I own a 2001 Jeep Wrangler and am a member of the wrangler owners club. ) You ain't gonna believe how nice that truck looks for one that is 12 years old.

I think rebuilt is the way to go for an old truck, if you have a rebuilder that you can trust.
    I'll bet that truck would have cost $1000 more if it had not been a rebuild.

tom
This discussion has been closed.