Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• mike141mike141 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased my X3 (which I absolutely love) back in May of 06'. Since then I have probably put about 5K miles on it. My question has to do with the free maintenance program. Is there a specific timeframe I should concern myself with requesting an oil change? I know the service level indicates a change of oil within 15K miles, but since I am almost coming up to a year, do I just change the oil at the dealership or should I wait until I hit the 15K mile mark?
  • motorcity3motorcity3 Member Posts: 72
    Hello everyone. What would be the best (and most economical way) to put some luggage on the rooftop of my 2005 X3. Which accessories do I need? Note, I have a moonroof. Can I put anything on the rooftop without having the Base Support System at the least?

Thanks.
  • alaskan_otteralaskan_otter Member Posts: 28
    2004 X3 with 55,000 is now making a melodic tone (not a squeal, nor a whine) but an actual musical note when you apply the brakes. I've done the free maintenance on all brakes. They are not worn. No warning lights, new pads, etc...but the brake pedal seems much weaker and now it's making a tone.

Anyone have this issue yet?

p.s. I just replaced the factory Pirellis at 53,000 with the same set again. They were fantastic!
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Wow ... this has been an inactive board.

The answer to your question is that you go in at the FIRST to occur of (1) 12 months since your last service or (2) when the service interval indicator says its time.

If you dive less than 15,000 miles a year, it'll usually be (1). (For you, May 2007).

If you drive 15,000+ miles a year, it'll usually be (2).
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    p.s. I just replaced the factory Pirellis at 53,000 with the same set again. They were fantastic!

My wife's X3 came with the less than impressive Bridgestones. I recently replaced them with the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S, which is a more performance oriented A/S tire. I got a super deal from Tire Rack- $347 including shipping. A friend of mine who runs a tire shop mounted and balanced them for free. The Pirellis suit my driving style much better than either OEM tire.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I had these tires. They're great for about 15 minutes or 10,000 miles whichever comes first.

If your car is leased, they do not qualify when you turn the car back in either.

I've all but given up on Pirelli's.

:sick:
    had these tires. They're great for about 15 minutes or 10,000 miles whichever comes first.

Well, my wife has @7.5K on them and they are still doing fine.

If your car is leased, they do not qualify when you turn the car back in either.

I don't rent cars.

I've all but given up on Pirelli's(sic).

To each his own; I've always had good luck with Pirellis(P77s on a Bavaria 3.0, Scorpions on a Pathfinder SE, P6000s on a 318ti Club Sport); I'm even fitting a set of Diablos to my Triumph Speed Triple.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I put P77s on my '82 Accord!!

Nice tires that were ahead of their time.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

IIRC, the P77 was one of the first tires that had "Inside/Outside" labels on the sidewall, due to the P77's dual compound tread. That tire worked pretty well for me- it even survived a track day at Watkins Glen.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    As a kid, I never got BMWs. The boring (back then) to me 3 box shape of the E30 didn't appeal to me. I thought they were for status seeking yuppies. Most of the rich kids' parents' (I'm not claiming poverty here, but there were people I went to HS with that were WELL OFF) had an E30 325iC (Convertible) in their driveway.

Things changed when I went to college (don't they always?). My neighbor had an E30 325e with a 5 speed. One of my close friends (3 years older than me) bought himself a 1995 E36 325is with Sport Package, 5-speed, and it was even lowered from the factory sport settings (Individual Program?).

I went to college in Ithaca, NY which has some great, empty, winding, backroads. My Neighbor's E30 had a Gauge Cluster that stopped functioning when the car hit 150,000 miles. So we were riding around one day exploring some new corners to carve when we caught some air after a dip in the road. When the 4 wheels hit the ground, the speedometer clicked on and it showed that we were going 100 miles per hour! I was amazed at how well planted the car was in turns and how solid it was at 11 years old with well over 150,000 miles.

My friend with the E36 was from Buffalo. We were out at a club one night. It was getting late (4:00 AM) and my friend was going to leave with some girls (he was quite inebriated). He tossed me the keys to his Bright Red/Black E36 1995 325is. I got in the car and immediately found a great driving position. The car fit me like a glove. I was having such a blast driving that I hadn't realized that almost 4 hours had past as I roared around the quiet streets and highways of suburban Buffalo. I hit 110 on the highway and was driving 70 on the side streets. I even got the car to rotate around corners a few times. Ever since that night (morning) I've longed for a BMW.

Tonight one of my dreams became a reality as my wife and I took delivery of our Montego Blue/Black Leatherette '07 BMW X3 3.0siA. It drives so well for a truck.!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• misterjimmisterjim Member Posts: 9
    I'm curious what 2007 X3 owners think of their standard headlamps. The 2007 inventory is thin, so I may have to forget Xenon headlamps for the particular vehicle I want. Can you let me know if the standard headlamps are decent?

Also - I noticed the premium audio doesn't appear to be the same level of stereo offered on the 3 series sedan (which has Logic sound). Any comments on the quality of the premium audio - is it decent?
    Doesn't have many options at all. Metallic Paint, Heated Front Seats, & Privacy Glass. So far in the 2 weeks we've had the car we are happy with the standard halogen headlights. Do you have Xenons on your car now? I have heard that once you go Xenon, you never go back!

We love the leatherette too.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I have heard that once you go Xenon, you never go back!

That's right. I especially like the Bi-Xenon Adaptive lights on my wife's X3. The Xenons on my Mazdaspeed aren't bad either, and I particulary like the ability to adjust the headlight aim from the cockpit. I've even been tempted to install the Hella Xenon retrofit lamps on my E36 3er.

We love the leatherette too.

My wife's 3er had leatherette and it looked great. In addition, it didn't require as much care as leather does. My BMW sales guy told me that you would be surprised by the number of BMW owners who think that they have leather seats in their car when in fact they are leatherette.

Funny, the lease was up on my Dad's '04 X5 3.0iA on Tuesday. We're not picking up his new '07 X5 3.0si until this coming Tuesday (8/21/07). BMWFS said since we have another BMW on order, we can keep the car an extra 10 days at no extra charge. After taking a spin in my wife's X3 3.0si, he said: "Next time I think I'm going to go with leatherette." He took a short 30 month/50K lease this time around and is hoping for a diesel powered X5 when his lease is up in 2.5 years.

I'm definitely a believer in the leatherette. When the time comes for me to part with my beloved '01 Prelude Type SH in about 5 years or so, I'd definitely do a 128i with leatherette, stick, Sport Package, & heated seats or maybe a Z2 roadster with leatherette and keep the Honda as a winter beater.

My sources tell me that the X5 and X3 will be the first US recipients of BMW's sweet turbo diesels. I'd like a 135d five door...

• dt63944dt63944 Member Posts: 66
    I'm from near Buffalo and I can tell you that you'd never be able to drive like that around here today! That "instantly comfortable" feeling you got was one of the main reasons I leased a 328 in 1997 and am on my 5th M- or 3- today (a 2007 328xi). Good luck with your X3, I am considering one as a replacement for my Subaru Forester XT (which is a lot of fun to drive, too).
    My 328xi has the Logic7 and it's the best-sounding system I've ever had. The X3 isn't to the same standard, at least on paper, and I'd be interested in what other people have to say, as well. My system also has Sirius and although it's digital-quality, what Sirius doesn't admit is that it's low quality digital, definitely not of the quality that one would expect of a store-bought CD. The constrained bandwidth Sirius uses when transmitting to a receiver limits the audio quality.
    The X3 NAV is of the same vintage that my 03 M3 had. Given that Garmin has very compact models that can tuck down into the lower left corner of the windshield and supply both good mapping, good verbal cues and also a Bluetooth interface for many cell phones, I'd say you'd be better off not ordering the NAV from the factory. My 07 328xi has a more modern NAV system that is integrated with the iDrive and voice interfaces to Bluetooth, radio and NAV, so there were enough good reasons for me to order from the factory. If you don't like the idea of hanging a portable unit off your windshield or dashboard, removing it for security and so forth, the factory unit would probably be better for you.
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    Has anyone seen crash test ratings for the X3? I'm wondering how safety is rated for this vehicle.
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    Glad you like you X3 especially the leatherette. I was about to pull the trigger and get one until I read the hesitation and transmission problem forum on this site. It scared the heck out of me to be honest. Did you read those posts before dropping your dime? And if so, how do you evaluate such apparently serious concerns? Don't mean to tear your vehicle down - I am just very cautious not being a prior BMW owner (VW, Porsche & Audi mostly in the past). Thanks.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "I'm definitely a believer in the leatherette"

I wonder, though, if the leatherette would be more prone to cracking or ripping due to the effects of sun and heat?
    in BMWs to say the least. While the X3 is our first BMW, my Dad recently turned in an '04 X5 3.0iA (leased) with over 75,000 miles that was as tight as the day he picked it up from the dealership. My Mom drives an '05 530iA with over 52,000 miles on it and it still drives great. Both cars were in the shop only for scheduled maintenance.

I don't think the leatherette would crack as easily as leather. Most people say it is more durable.

I have read about people's transmission complaints. For me it seems like a non-issue while driving. When you slow down, the transmission drops into a lower gear, just like I do when I drive my 5-speed manual equipped 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH everyday!

I don't think the leatherette would crack as easily as leather. Most people say it is more durable.

And easier to care for as well.

One downside to leatherette may be that it does not breath as well as leather, so on a hot humid day, it could make for a sweaty backside! Along the same vein, I suspect black leatherette may not be the best combo in warm regions.
    Yeah it might get a little hotter in the summer months, but a black interior is the easiest to keep clean and shows the least amount of dirt by far.

With a tick over 2400 miles on it, our '07 X3 3.0si has taken its first (of very few I hope) trips to the dealership. About 2 weeks ago, my wife noticed the "Check Gas Cap" light on for about 2 minutes, then the "Service Engine Soon" light.

The dealer diagnosed it as some air in the gas line and said they fixed it. When they took a test drive, the light came back on, so we'll see what they have to say tomorrow.

We do love the way the X3 looks & drives. We gets lots of compliments on its Montego Blue color. I love the power of the N52!

Interestingly enough, my wife got a 328xi wagon as a loaner car. I originally thought the 328i (RWD, Sports Package) Touring was going to be our car. It doesn't offer that much more cargo room than the sedan. The X3 was roomier passengers and had more cargo room, not to mention MUCH better lease rates.

Driving the 328xiT left quite an impression on me. Handling is much sharper than the X3 & the steering is much better weighted. I fet more of the road than in the X3. And I love sitting so low to the ground (it is what I'm used to with an '01 Honda Prelude as my daily driver).

How would you rate the power of the 328xiT compared to the X3 3.0si? The low ground clearance kinda takes away from part of the purpose of getting an AWD vehicle though (ie. foul weather driving)
    The 328xi seemed to work a little harder than the X3, but acceleration was still more than adequate. The X3 still feels faster (by my butt dyno). It is kinda funny, but AWD is probably the LAST reason we got the X3. If they sold a RWD X3 I would have gone for that (as originally I wanted a RWD 328i wagon). Cargo room, safety features, passenger room, handling, interior quality, acceleration all came before AWD.

I want the AWD for the odd snow storm around town and to avoid the hassle of renting a vehicle for ski vacations. Plus I'm absolutely the world's laziest person when it comes to switching on and off snow tires and storing them! :blush:

I like the looks of the 328xiT, and it is a little less expensive to buy or lease than the X3, but, for what I personally want the X-drive for, I'm just afraid I would end up missing the more practical aspects of the X3.
    The X3 drives great for a truck, has great brakes for a truck, and handles great for a truck, but at the end of the day it is still a truck. The 328xiT performed better in pretty much every category (it would be so much sweeter if it had the 260hp engine from the X3).

My wife commented on how her trip to Costco (in the 328xiT) was made harder because she didn't have her X3.

I'm not a big fan of AWD. It helps get you going, but it increases your braking distance and could seriously affect emergency handling with the added weight. You also pay a penalty for fuel economy. I guess British Columbia is much different than New York. It only snows here a few times a year (and they do an amazing job plowing) and everybody thinks they NEED AWD.

With a RWD BMW you can get a real sports package (Upgraded wheels/tires, sport tuned suspension) that still includes a host of electronic nannies (DSC, Traction Control...) that coupled with a set of dedicated winter tires will help you out a whole lot in the snow (save for ground clearance).

The 3er wagon might be cheaper to buy, but not to lease. BMW sets ridiculously high residuals for the X3 compared to the 3er wagon.

Either way you're getting a great car. With my wife and 1 year old son, the X3 was the clear choice for us.

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated. Still doesn't make the decision any easier..... :cry:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    If you lease, it is an easy decision.. They never have good lease deals on the wagons, but the X3 usually has a good lease program.

But, you don't usually lease, do you?

Sorry.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    nyccarguy,

The X3 drives great for a truck, has great brakes for a truck, and handles great for a truck, but at the end of the day it is still a truck.

I'm probably taking your words too literally, but to me a truck is a vehicle with separate body and frame construction, typically with 4WD rather than AWD, and in SUV form an example is a Toyota 4-Runner.

Although the X3 is car based, I don't pretend it's a car but I do think it's in a different league than truck based SUVs when it comes to agility, handling, responsiveness, etc.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    How about a tall wagon?
    We normally don't lease, but we're in a 39-month lease for my wife's current Mini, and kinda like the more carefree experience. Plus, as you said, BMW seems to always have very attractive lease deals on the X3. :shades:
    It is more of a tall wagon. I'm kinda old school and don't really use the term SUV. You definition of truck (4-Runner, Pathfinder, Exploder, TrailBlazer...) is technically correct. I see vehicles as cars, trucks, and vans. My wife's X3 has a decent amount of ground clearance, AWD, and a tall, wagonlike body (that weighs over 4000 lbs)... In my eyes it is a truck. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my wife's X3! The N52's power inspires me to drive like a hooligan! It feels like it accelerates faster than my Prelude. The brakes feel totally progressive and linear. It is comfortable and is the perfect size for our family of 3.

My Prelude which barely sits 5" off the ground, has a separate trunk, and pulls strong to its 7400 RPM redline even with over 86,000 miles on it is a car.

• jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    My Prelude which barely sits 5" off the ground, has a separate trunk, and pulls strong to its 7400 RPM redline even with over 86,000 miles on it is a car.

If yours is like my old Integra (95 GS-R), you will be looking for a reason to get rid of it. Mine was strong as ever at 180,000, before it was stolen and stripped for parts.
    I'm looking to keep my '01 Prelude Type SH (bought new in April '02) for at least another 5 years. The only reason I would get rid of it would be if someone were to take it from me (or offer me a stupid amount of money).

nyccarguy,

Thanks, I understand, and agree on the driving impressions, although from the perspective of owning an '06 X3 (which my wife loves).

FWIW, one weekend we drove the X3 to our favorite country inn in West Virginia. Another couple joined us for the weekend and they drove their 4-Runner.

We decided to take a day trip and they rode in our backseat with me driving. I took off on the back roads in my normal sporty manner for that area, and they asked me to slow down.

At first, I thought they were teasing, but they were dead serious. They were about to have a heart attack as they said if they tried to drive their 4-Runner like that, it would roll off the road and they would be killed!

That definitely dimmed my driving experience for the day, as one of the highlights for going to that area is beautiful twisty roads with little traffic and no speed traps that I have ever seen.

Thanks
    Bruce
    although....it always seems like a hairier experience as a passenger. When I'm riding shotgun in my wife's car, I'm constantly telling her to slow down!
    bodble2,

Hmmm, in thinking about your post, I believe you have a good point- it is different from the passenger's perspective and I'll confess I wasn't taking that into account at the time.

Thanks
    Bruce
    ;)My wife's X3 has a decent amount of ground clearance, AWD, and a tall, wagonlike body (that weighs over 4000 lbs)... In my eyes it is a truck.

Exactly. As I see it, it's a truck that does an excellent job of driving like a BMW car. However, now that I've got the Mazdaspeed3 we seldom take the X3 anywhere when I'm driving. If my 5'6" seventh grader is riding in the back we take the Mazda; if there's only going to be two aboard I might take my "ancient" E36/5. In any event, my wife loves the X3 and it can carry quite a bit of cargo. And when I finally get around to fitting the BMW trailer hitch I bought I'll be using the X3 a bit more- to haul motorcycles, bicycles, mowers and such.
    Just like a REAL truck... :P

The N52 is a true gem of a motor. It motivates the X3 quite nicely. The X3 is definitely our family hauler. My Prelude has been relegated to commuting duties 6 days a week.

I'd like the next generation X3 to be a bit wider. We're going to see how this thing holds up for the 3 years we lease it for. If it is anything like my Dad's former "04 X5 3.0iA & my Mom's current 530iA, then I'd consider buying the next gen X3. Maybe with a diesel:) :shades:

The X3 is definitely our family hauler. My Prelude has been relegated to commuting duties 6 days a week.

We just have one kid, so we can take the whole family in any one of our cars; it just depends on the mission profile.
    Carrying lots of stuff/nasty winter weather? X3
    Commuting, four door convenience and possible stop light/back road Grand Prix competitions? Mazdaspeed3
    Track days/Pure RWD enjoyment? Club Sport
    Go ANYWHERE/transporting the German Shepherd? Wrangler

I'd consider buying the next gen X3. Maybe with a diesel

The BMW NA folks at Oktoberfest were very evasive when asked what US cars would get the turbo diesel motor(the 535d I drove was terrific; lots of low end grunt and mid range power). I've heard that one faction at BMW NA thinks that the X3 and X5 should get the oil burner in order to help BMW's CAFE numbers, while others think that diesels would give the SAVs an undesirable "truck" image :confuse: Me, I think they ought to put the motor in every platform. And if BMW offered a 135d five door hatch with the European M Sport package I'd buy one today.

Did you try the 215hp motor in the regular 3.0? Is the power adequate, or is there a significant drop-off from the 3.0si?

BTW, I don't want to see the next X3 any wider, at least in terms of exterior dimension. IMO, the current X5 is too big and too wide.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    "I'm looking to keep my '01 Prelude Type SH (bought new in April '02) for at least another 5 years. The only reason I would get rid of it would be if someone were to take it from me (or offer me a stupid amount of money). "

What if you find a great deal on a CPO 3-series coupe, such as an '05/'06 model with the Sports Package? Might that sway you to replace the Prelude? ;)
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    "Did you try the 215hp motor in the regular 3.0? Is the power adequate, or is there a significant drop-off from the 3.0si? "

Are you referring to the '04-'06 3.0i? That model actually has 225hp. We recently purchased an '04 X3 3.0i for my wife, and I can say with some confidence its power is more than adequate. Of course, we were looking at used X3's (CPO models), which means we were comparing the 3.0i to the 2.5i, not the new 260hp 3.0si.

The 3.0i runs fairly quite and smooth, with plenty of passing power. BMW rated the X3 3.0i 0-60 mph acceleration at 7.9s with the 5sp automatic, or at 7.6s with the 6sp manual.

No doubt you'll feel some additional acceleration with the 3.0si, and I suspect you'll also see a small improvement with the fuel economy, based on the EPA rating differences. We typically don't lease, and so buying a low-mileage fully-loaded 2004 3.0i CPO model for about $26K seemed more sensible for us, instead of paying over $40K for an '07 3.0si model.
    you're in Canada. Maybe they have a 3.0i & a 3.0si north of the border.

While a CPO BMW can be a great buy. I don't know if I could take the plunge. Plus Our X3 is leased and I only like having ONE car payment. I'm 31 and have only owned brand new cars since I got my license. My options within the next 5 years (the time I plan on holding on to the Prelude) are a 128i (6-Speed Manual/Sport Package/Sunroof), a CPO '05 E46 M3 Coupe, a CPO E90 335i Sedan, or a New WRX STi.

Like I said, for the same money I'd rather have a NEW car.

Yeah, I didn't realize you don't have the 215hp 3.0i in the US.