Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• tklmsctklmsc Member Posts: 1
    Whenever I drive up hill 40-55 mph. Many times I smell sulfur or rotten eggs in the cabin. Even my young 3 and 5 year can tell. It seems that if I use Chevron gas it happens less often than when I use mobil or other brand of fuel. Does anyone else notice this problem?

The dealer said they never heard of this problem. And I am suppose to do a test drive with a rep. tomorrow morning. Let's see what happens as there is no hills by the dealer area.

Please let me know if you ever had this problem.

Thanks
  • irvin54irvin54 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 X3. My remote locks don't work near the local radio station antennas. Must be interference with the radio freq. Something to keep in mind.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    Signed on a lease deal this past weekend. We pick it up on Thursday!

Sapphire Black w/gray leather
    Premium
    Xenons
    Heated seats
    PDC

My wife is very, very happy.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sapphire Black?

Gonna join the weekly wash and California Duster club eh? :shades:

Congrats!
    Sapphire black is the metallic one...

It's Jet Black that you really want to avoid.. Not only is it worse at showing dirt, it shows all sorts of swirl marks... It might seem like splitting hairs, but the metallic black is easier to keep looking nice by a factor of ten..

As far as keeping it clean? Hey, I just do the negotiation.. After that, it's all hers.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    Nice ride!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Sweet ride my man! You're gonna love it. Saphire Black is a gorgeous color in the sunlight. I love the way it sparkles. My Dad's '07 X5 is Saphire Black. Congratulations!

You gonna share the parameters of your lease deal?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• szimdahlszimdahl Member Posts: 5
    I have two questions...

The first is recently when I first start up my 2007 X3, the low coolant light shows for about 3 minutes and then shuts off...Being a relatively new X3 owner, do I need to use a special type of coolant? Also, it appears that when I pop the hood the fill spout is not where the owner's manual says it is. Am I missing something?

2nd question is my X3 is Jet Black and is showing some pretty substantial swirl marks. Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to remove those swirl marks and to keep them away?
    You gonna share the parameters of your lease deal?

Well.. it's complicated.. :surprise:

First.. it's a factory car that they bought at the BMWNA closed auction. So, it qualifies for the new car lease program, even though it's been in service for 11 months and has 10,400 miles.. Second.. they bought the car in June, and CPOed it. I'm not sure what their thinking was.. as the car had lots of warranty left, but I guess there was no reconditioning needed, so the only cost was the warranty.

Usually with loaners or demos, they qualify for the new car program, and the residual is reduced by $0.15/mi.. They didn't structure this one that way.. I have the same residual as a zero-mile car, but they paid extra upfront, and got some credit for the car being CPO (under the assumption that it will be worth more at the end of the lease than an identical car without CPO).

But.. in the end... the car has an MSRP of $43,950.. A selling price of around $36,500.. Cap costs and residuals are goofy, because of the above.. but, the bottom line?

3yr/45K lease
    $440 mo. + tax = $466/mo.

Due at signing = 1st payment + $115 in registration/title fees = $581

I almost leased a loaner at another dealership in August.. About $46K sticker with 4000 miles.. for $535/mo.+tax.. I turned that down, and later wondered if I screwed up... Now, I'm glad I waited, since it saved me $100/mo.. :)

I think that covers it.. We pick it up tomorrow evening.. :P

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My X3's radiator cap is immediately to the left of the radiator, as viewed from the drivers seat. Use ONLY BMW coolant.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• phaitourphaitour Member Posts: 2
    what would you guys say is a good price for a car like this. it has prem, sports, and xenon and will come with the new car warranty. i have no idea how much of a 'discount' you're supposed to expect for 7k miles on the car.
    I just leased one of these... so I have a little input..

1) Factory executive could mean almost anything.. If you have a copy of the sticker, and it is a factory car, it will show BMW NA as the dealer. This could be an actual manufacturer company car or a corporate employee lease. IMO, it makes little difference, either way.

2) What is the original MSRP? They should have a copy of the sticker. (Just for a reference point).

3) The dealer bought the car at an auction, just like any other used car, and that should be factored into the deal. It really is no different, except.....

4) Factory official cars that have never been retailed are sometimes eligible for the new car lease programs.. The '08 X3 has a great lease program, so that might be of use... Also, 0.9% financing on a purchase.

The unit that I leased had 10,400 miles. It's original MSRP was $44K.. The selling price was around $36,500. But, mine had already been CPOed, so figure at least $1500 more for that.. Your unit has less miles, and it sounds like it's probably more expensive (mine didn't have Sport).

What are they asking?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• phaitourphaitour Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your fast reply.

They are asking 42k. Msrp is just under 49k. Invoice was 44k

So should I try for something like 40?
    Yeah... if you are buying... Somewhere around $40K, with 0.9% for 60 months...

Sounds like it has everything but the kitchen sink at $49K... nice!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• blackeye800blackeye800 Member Posts: 14
    Hi folks
    I live in the northeast and do not have a garage for my X3. The winter is turning out to be harsh this year and was wondering if it is a good idea to have a remote starter installed. My X3 has done 60000 miles in 3 years 4 months without any maintenance except the routine oil services. I did not have the 4yr/50000 mile warranty extended. I did not get the remote starter earlier as BMW customer service informed me that it would void the warranty. Do you think it is advisable as the two mechanics I called seemed to give conflicting advice - one said he'll do it and the other said he would'nt touch it because of the BMW computer/electronics.
    BTW - I love the car and it has been a marvellous experience having it - it still looks and drives like a new car.
  • imgdocimgdoc Member Posts: 30
    I am wondering what is the best approach in my situation. I just bumped into e post and sustained a paint scratch on the front bumper (about 5 inches). The plastic is visible underneath. There are no cracks or anything. I am returning the car next month (end of lease). I am thinking of taking it for pre-inspection. If the damage turns out to be more than my insurance deductible ($500) can I make a claim at that point with the insurance company? Will the BMW dealer help with the claim in some way. Or should I report to the insurance company now? Any opinions?
    thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to post your question in the BMW X3 Lease Questions discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Try to find a body shop or detail shop that specializes in spot repairs. You may find one that will fix the scratch for less than $100.

• bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    FWIW,

My wife's 2006 X3 had a similar problem. There is one spot near some towers and antennas where the key would not remotely lock / unlock the vehicle.

When we took it in for regular service last week, they replaced a bad antenna amplifier and the problem has been fixed- key now works remotely in the former dead zone.

Bruce
    My wife's '07 had the EXACTsame problem. Same fix by our dealer. No issues ever since. We are at 26,000 miles + and still going strong.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ceebs2815ceebs2815 Member Posts: 1
    Momentum BMW on Katy FWY and Park Ten in Houston, Texas has the worst customer service. I bought a new x3 July 28, 2008 and it has had numerous problems. It has been in the shop 1/5th of the time I have owned it. Every time I take it back in for the same thing, I am told to wait over an hour and then I get a rental car. I was tolerant for my first 5 rentals but not anymore. Since they cannot fix the problem, I would at least expect them to put me in a BMW loaner and not a KIA RIO. Especially when I am paying $581 a month. I called to complain and the service manager chewed me out and then my husband. I did leave a stern and rude message for my service advisor, but I never expected to be yelled at by a manager. I later found out the general manager was in the room when the service manager made the call and saw nothing wrong with the conversation or how I was treated. My car has now been fixed, but I still have not received any apologies. I am disappointed and surprised at what they consider acceptable phone etiquette. Everyone should know about the poor customer service given at Momentum BMW on Katy FWY and Park ten!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    With the economy in general, and the auto industry in particular, in the toilet, how do these guys think they can get away with that kind of customer service?!
    Maybe the stress of not selling any cars is causing them to take it out on customers. Talk about making a bad situation worse. Maybe a letter to the owner is in order?

And a reminder - you can report on your good and bad dealers with Dealer Ratings and Reviews.
  • boba6boba6 Member Posts: 18
    I currently drive a 2002 Subaru Forester, and I've seen someone on that board describe it as "not an off-road vehicle, but an any-road vehicle." I think that's an apt phrase. I frequently take it to trailheads and trout streams that are at the end of a few miles of Forest Service gravel roads that don't see a grader but every few years, if that. As I seek a replacement, I'm looking at the X3 (it will also fit into a tight parking situation at work), and like the comfort and performance.

Would anyone care to comment on how it performs off the pavement?

Thanks.

Bob
    Would anyone care to comment on how it performs off the pavement?

Our gravel driveway is @1/2 mile long. Our 2004 X3 has plowed through over 10" of snow with no problem. A heavy rain washed over 12" of mud across the road at one point last summer and the X3 again handled it with no drama whatsoever. It was a bear to clean up however; mud was even packed around the front brake calipers...

• califjohn1califjohn1 Member Posts: 11
    The X3 is notorious for rough riding over any kind of bad pavement, raised expansion joints, or potholed streets. It is the nature of the beast and the 18" tires don't help much. My wife hates the ride of my '06 X3 non sport with the 18" factory option and never ceases to let me know about it when we are in the car. I have gotten used to it now, but I will not get another one! I see where the new U.S. built X3's will have a new suspension so maybe that will fix the problem in '10 or'11 when they come out. By then I will have a Q5, XC60 or a GLK! :shades:
    Helpful Hint: Next time, test drive a car before you buy it.

Have you thought about putting an ad up on Craigslist and finding someone with 17's to swap with? Or just buy a set at a place like TireRack when you need new tires.

Then again, two years will pass pretty fast.
    A testdrive often won't expose all the warts. Parallel can be drawn with dating..... :P
    The X3 is a rough ride for those who are coming from other SUVs...

But, for us.. it was an alternative to the new 3-series.... and, an extension of our experience with the old 3-series..

We call that kind of ride, sporty....... which is just the way we like it! :)

To quote my wife, "I sit up higher and can see over traffic, but it feels just like my last two cars." (both e46s)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    My wife has the same set up, a 2006 X3, non sport, with optional 18" wheels & tires. The ride is a bit firm, but I would not call it rough. We both like the combination of ride and handling a lot for this class of vehicle.

We're already focusing on the new model with hoped for availability of the twin turbo engine as a replacement!

I used to have a 2006 330Xi with standard 17" wheels and all season run flat tires. In my opinion, that car was rougher than our X3 over larger bumps, although it was better on smoother roads.

Bruce
    My wife runs a 2004 non-sport, which is supposed to be the year that delivers the stiffest ride. We have no complaints either.

So my Dad's X5 is in the shop getting repaired from a piece of wood he ran over last Wednesday in a snowstorm. The only loaner the dealer had left was a 328i Coupe with X-Drive. Since my Dad needs a truck to get back and forth to work with his 2 great danes, we gave him my wife's '07 X3, and my wife is driving the 328i Coupe. Tonight after work he gets in the X3 and it won't start. He jumped the X3 and the 4 X 4 light went on as if there were NO DSC. I'll have to check it out tomorow at work.

Probably the battery.

The car is only a year and a half old. You think it is the battery? My Dad said the instant he hooked up the battery pack jumper to the X3 it turned over and fired right up. He used the remote to open the doors, & the doors unlocked and lights flashed, but then when he put the key in the ignition...nothing. I think her X3 should be due for inspection I in a month or 2. I'll have them check the battery out.

• califjohn1califjohn1 Member Posts: 11
    My problem was I didn't drive it over the right kind of pavement to show up the warts. I just drove it on the freeway and smooth pavement. It rides just fine there. The problem is on the rough bits. I learned my lesson tho' and the next vehicle will get a full road test with the wife on board :shades:
  • stupidnamestupidname Member Posts: 3
    I have an '07 non sport with the 18" wheels. The Pirellis on it are fantastic but any car with low profile tires is going to be a bit stiff. This is also why it handles the way it does. It handles better than alot of sedans that are a foot lower.

It may be REAL EASY to find someone with 17" wheels to swap you straight up for your 18's. Then you can get some more sidewall between you and the ground and ease your pain.

FWIW, my previous SUV was a Honda Pilot with 16" wheels and Big Ole' Tires on it and soft springs. It drove "comfortable" on the street but hold on on a circular on ramp....wow that cow would lean like crazy! Not confidence inspiring.

You bought a BMW with 18" wheels. Man up!
  • kayleigh22kayleigh22 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at getting this vehicle, with either the 24mo/25k $1900, or 5y $3900 ext warranty. the dealer thinks the 5 yr is useless. What type of maintenance am I looking at past the 50k miles? I know the subaru gets a timing belt replaced. I'm concerned about costs mounting as mileage increases. I really can't afford dishing out money each month in repairs. Tire ball joints, etc. Will this last 150-200k miles, how does it hold up.. All info is greatly appreciated as I am trying to understand what to expect. thanks...
    Stick the warranty money into a MM account and self insure. My wife has a 2004 X3 2.5 and it has needed exactly one warranty repair-the passenger seat SRS sensor. Check and see if the brake pads have been replaced; you may need pads/rotors in the 50K-60K range. Ditto for tires(I recommend Tire Rack for quality tires at a great price). Around 100K you may need a water pump, but that should cost less than $400, max. Here is a brief synopsis of service requirements:

On an X3 some services are determined by time, some by mileage, and some by the on-board Service Interval(SI) system(which calculates service based on driving conditions).
    The time based services are: Brake Fluid(every 2 years) and Coolant(every 3 years-even though BMW doesn't call for it)
    The mileage based services are: Spark Plugs, ATF, and Oxygen Sensors(every 100K miles for all three).
    The SI system has 3 levels of service: Oil Service, Inspection I, and Inspection II. An Oil Service is called for at @15K intervals(or every year, whichever comes first). It is just an oil change. It costs $80-$125
    The Inspection I rolls up at 30K; it is an oil change, a cabin air filter change, and a comprehensive inspection of the car. Figure $250-$300
    Inspection II occurs around 60K and is essentially an Inspection I + an engine air filter change. Costs average $350-$500

Since you're going to hang on to it for a while I'd advise changing the automatic transmission and transfer case fluid every 50K. Change the final drive oil(front and rear) at 100K. I change the engine oil myself on my wife's X3 at 7.5K intervals due to the fact that the truck chews up its oil in less than 9K miles(based on used oil analysis). Some people go 15K without any problem but I'm not one of them. Our X3 has 75K on it and is as tight and rattle-free as new. My son will take it to college in a bit over four years. We fully expect to get a minimum 150K miles out of it. Based on my experience with BMWs, that is a very conservative expectation.

"Stick the warranty money into a MM account and self insure."

You might as well just put it under your mattress. Similar return and probably safer!
    Does the '09 X3 provide a visual warning on the dash, as well as an audible warning, if you drive off with a door/hatch/hood not securely latched? I've read an '04 owner's manual which does not talk about that, but I would expect the X3 to have that feature since even the Mini has it.

Does the navigation package also include a hard drive that you can upload mp3 music files onto?
    I don't know about the '09, but I'm pretty sure that on our '08, you only get a visual warning... nothing audible..

Actually, I don't remember any of our cars having an audible warning for a door being ajar..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

On the Mini, it would beep at you if you drove off without latching the hatch or a door properly. We've done that a few times with the hatch. It's somewhat odd that the warnings only come on after the car starts moving. You would think it should warn you as soon as you start the engine.
  • iron_cideriron_cider Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone advise where I can find the Antenna for my X3 series BMW since I am having problems with the distance in the wireless key entry. The key only works when you are within 9 feet from the X3.

I saw someone had a problem and they got the garage to fix it. Please advise what I need since I am not located in the USA but in Barbados.

Thank you
    Steve.
  • iron_cideriron_cider Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my X3 and I need to get the Antenna 315MHZ replaced. DO you know where I can find this unit on the X3 and to check if it is version A 1 or higher?

That version seems to have the problem with limited distance of 9 feet only.

Sometimes the key works other times it does not and you have to be right next to the X3 for it to work.

Thank you
    Steve
  • daddymandaddyman Member Posts: 14
    I believe they are mounted in the drivers side mirror. Not very smart in my opinion. They should have mounted them in the shark fin on the back roof.

Check Bimmerfest--excellent resource.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Thinking of starting the hunt for a used X3. Normally I'd go for the newer model, but all the reported Transmission problems on the '07's have me kind of spooked. Would a test drive or 2 on an individual vehicle be adequate to determine? I'd want a 3.0 in any case. TIA!
  • daddymandaddyman Member Posts: 14
    There is a reason so many post about the 07 AT. It's dangerous. It's not a quirk, or inconvenient. It's just plain dangerous. The major problem is it only surfaces 5% of the time you are driving, and it always happens at the worst time. Entering a slowed traffic area, trying to avoid a semi in heavy traffic, trying to accelerate out of the way of oncoming traffic. In order to properly test for the problem you will need a weekend of driving. Make sure the vehicle has NOT had a recent computer update as this puts the vehicle in learning mode for at least 300 miles (it won't display bad habits during this "break in"). Your best bet is to buy an 06 or get a manual. Rolling the dice on my family's well being is just not worth it.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi! Sorry I'm late for this conversation, but I thought I could add my $.02. We recently sold our '04 X3 to an enthusiastic young buyer, and after weeks of debate, decided upon another used X3 as its replacement. (We almost purchased a new Murano, but we just couldn't get excited about it! The X3 is nearly perfect for the 3 of us.) I, too, had concerns with the '07 AT, based on all the Internet chatter. Although we had purchased our '04 X3 from a dealer out-of-state (Southern Cal dealers usually offer better out-the-door pricing than AZ dealers), I decided I would NOT buy an '07 X3 AT unless it was from a local dealer who would accomodate me with an overnight test drive (or similar). Yes, all the discussions about the AT hesitation issue made me a bit nervous. Also, Consumer Reports shows a full black circle (much worse than avg) for the '07 X3 transmission. So, I would only buy an '07 AT if I could REALLY test it out under a variety of conditions, prior to purchase.

Fortunately, I found an '06 CPO X3 with Premium Pkg, our desired color combination, and in perfect condition -- with an in-service date of Aug 2006. This must have been manufactured only a month or two before they started the '07 production run. This means we will have warranty coverage thru Aug 2012. Not too bad... We're very happy with it, even though it still has the older-look interior. For us, the minor changes for '07 were not important at all.

Question for other X3 owners (2004 thru 2006): Does the Premium Package include the garage door opener buttons? I thought it did, but our '06 X3 does NOT have this feature. I'm confused, because our used '04 X3 DID have it. :confuse:
    We just picked up our 2007 X3 3.0si from the dealer after its "Inspection I" service (32K miles) and it got an oil & filter change, brake fluid flush, as well as front & rear brake pads. Not too shabby for the price. $0....zilch, nada, nothing.

While our lease isn't up until July 2010, time does fly by when you're having fun (with our 2 1/2 year old & 11 week old son). We're very happy with our Montego Blue X3. It hasn't given us any trouble & the few times we've brought the car in for service the dealer (Wide World BMW in Spring Valley, NY) has been nothing short of top notch.

I say to myself every now & again that we could very easily replace the X3 at the end of its lease with a loaded Accord EX-L V6 w/ NAV, but I love cars (and BMWs especially) too much to have something so... vanilla (before I get bashed by any Honda lovers, my daily driver is a 2001 Prelude Type SH).

I'm thinking maybe we'll BUY a 2010 (or 2011) X3 (new body) or maybe if I can swing a super-duper deal on a leftover E60 535 (or 550...YUMMY). Does anyone think BMW will bring the next gen X3 as a diesel. If not, then I'll just have to "suffer" with the brilliant N52 Twin Turbo Inline 6.