Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3

Comments

• vsromanvsroman Posts: 95
    It beats what my dealer offered - strict MSRP only. I assume that you didn't get to drive the 2.5 version. I can't wait to hear from folks that have driven the 2.5, I'm too worried about the power (or lack of) to order one without driving it first.
  • I, personally, thought that BMW would have done a better job on their X3. When I first heard that there was going to be a new SUV added to the lineup, frankly, I was excited. When I heard that it was going to be part of the 3 series family, I was even more excited. But when I saw what BMW had created, I was completely turned off. Besides the name BMW, I don't think the vehicle is worth a base MSRP of $30,995. For that price, I would explore my other options because there are many more that fit that price range. And believe me, you get a lot more with other trucks for that price. With the X3, all you are purchasing is the brand name, BMW. As far as I am concerned, the looks on the truck are awful. In order to make it actually look like something worth driving, you have to load it up with all of the options. After you have done that, the price reaches as high as the X5---a much better value....Again, I don't want to offend anyone with my thoughts. I am just voicing my opinion. Thanks.
  • mark_lpmark_lp Posts: 28
    I disagree with your statements of value. What do you think the vehcile is missing that so many other companies offer? Looks...each to his/her own opinion. The X5 has been plagued by QC problems since day one. It doesn't even drive like the X3 and the X5 comparably equipped is 5-6k more.
  • "But when I saw what BMW had created, I was completely turned off."

But did you drive it or just look at it? I agree w/ mark_lp, looks are opinion. I agree that you may get more fluffy bells & whistles w/ Lexus RX330 and more room w/ Acura MDX but the drive is completely different, which is what BMW is all about. I truly enjoyed my test ride. I did a lot of research on all three vehicles and spent countless hours reading the consumer discussions for RX330 & MDX and let me tell you there are a lot of unhappy people. You may want to visit those discussions before applauding "the others."

With that said, I realize there are no X-3's in the hands of the consumers yet, so there are no "new owner" complaints. I realize that I am taking my chances with it being a new model...
  • aukemaaukema Posts: 19
    The Brochure describes a Silver Metallic, with terracotta leather and birch grain light wood interior but when you try to order on-line these options are unavailable. Does anyone know if this combination is available?

Avi-driver what SUV are you in love with and how much does it cost. You have such discriminating taste I like to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many of you are staying with the standard vs steptronic. Think it matters on resale (after I drive it for 15 years).

Anyone else willing to share they final price. Thanks
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    The ride of the X3 may be great, but there's no excusing the interior at this price category (personally, I find it less appealing than the current 3-series interior).
  • Since the base MSRP on the X3 is $30,995, i can name many SUV's that I am "in love with" as you say it or that I would prefer purchasing over the X3. Again, this is all my opinion and since you take my opinion so personally, I will tell you exactly why I feel the way I do. First off let me read down the list of SUV's that I like and their MSRP's in comparison to the X3. Ford Explorer - $27,245 / Jeep Grand Cherokee - $28,055 / Land Rover Discover - $34,995 / Mercury Mountaineer - $29,995 / Nissan Murano - $28,740 / Nissan Pathfinder - $27,440 /

Is that enough for you?

Answer this question for me. Why is the X3 $30,995 base MSRP? What does it have to offer for it to be that price in comparison to those on my list? I think that you and I both know that if you took the BMW emblem off of the car, that the MSRP wouldn't be that high. The BMW X3 is way overpriced as I see it.
  • I completely agree with you. For the price you are paying especially for a truck that can be considered a more compact SUV than usual midsize ones, it needs to be pretty much perfect all around. That includes exterior, interior, engine, you name it. Now, I, personally, haven't driven it and cannot say anything in regards to the driving feel. But after reading many of the posts, I have come to understand that the driving feel is pretty good. But, I have sat in it and seen it from upclose. And believe me when I say it, it is not worth 30K. I am trying to tell you that for 30K + there are much more fit vehicles out there.
  • ulepulep Posts: 63
    for the new members of this board. i wrote this a month ago and i still feel the same....

a guy said that cars really are a matter of taste. it just so happens that it's my taste. pretty happy with my purchase. specially w/ the $1,600 that i shave off from the sticker price. and i also like the feeling that i'm driving a car (for me it's a car cause it drives like one)that has one of the world most advance all wheel drive systems. and as an icing on the cake, not everybody has the x3. so ill be one of the few proud owners of this sav.
        i remembered when they first came out w/ the x5, people are laughing at bmw but it turned out it was one of the best suv out there. and now its happening again. oh well as i said before, knowing what you want is the most important thing. as for me, a $41K car can be bought but the piece of mind that my love ones is safe inside that car and the satisfaction that i feel for the x3 is priceless(like a credit card ad rigth :-})

it seems that thers a lot ofnew members on this board.tponchak, kssoman, kdshapiro, saugatak..where are you people...missed the mesage board war
  • bmwx5bmwx5 Posts: 16
    I agree that the taste is a matter of personal opinion. One can own 3 Hyundai's for the price of one BMW (no pun intended on the hyundai owners), but BMW is a different breed. There are many things which can be subjected to judgement and whether to pay a price for BMW vs. MDX or RS330 is purely personality. I often been asked why do I wear a 'rolex bludedial submariner' when I would have a worn a reasonably priced seiko or movado watch - but that's individual taste. Yes the price is just one part of the equation, it's the satisfaction to self and a sense of achievement. With all said and done - I wouldn't buy the X3 , as I prefer a 3-series sedan better.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "I think that you and I both know that if you took the BMW emblem off of the car, that the MSRP wouldn't be that high. The BMW X3 is way overpriced as I see it."

I'll bet you an X3 if you took the emblem off, masqueraded the car and disguised the following a Mountaineer, X3, Pathfinder, Jeep Cherokee, etc, you would be able to pick out the BMW by the drive. Now if you put the emblem back on, you would see the classic looks and lines and functional yet nicely laid out interior relative to these other vehicles.

"it needs to be pretty much perfect all around. That includes exterior, interior, engine, you name it."

I thought is was perfect BMW all the way!

But I recognize in the world of autos, there is not a pot for every cover.
  • mamgtmamgt Posts: 67
    "I think that you and I both know that if you took the BMW emblem off of the car, that the MSRP wouldn't be that high. The BMW X3 is way overpriced as I see it."

There is no question that you are paying extra for the brand. If you took the emblem off of any premium brand, including Lexus and Infinity, the sticker price would be less. That is what building a brand is all about. Any car company (or any other company for that matter) that has consistently delivered a good product that people want, builds a certain reputation that some are willing to pay for. If you saw a vehicle similar to a Pathfinder but with a Yugo emblem, at a slightly lower price, would you buy it? I wouldn't.
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    My general understanding is that a nice exterior + comforting interior + solid mechanicals = great car. And this "great car" would be represented by a brand. This brand would easily communicate to the consumer what to expect when they go to check out the car.

Eventually, this branding would help distinguish these cars from competitors and price discrimination would occur.

But, I think BMW skipped part of this equation and went straight to branding of this car, without working on the all of the components to make it "great".

Incidentally, I saw a couple of commercials for the X3 this weekend-- pretty cool ads, but they don't show the interior!
  • conallconall West TexasPosts: 91
    As ulep has told y'all over and over again (although with slightly different words): the X-3 is marketed for those who are more concerned with a great driving experience, than trying to impress someone with the way it looks!!!
  • ulepulep Posts: 63
    hey guys my dealer offered me the aerokit for $2500 with materials and labor. i'm going to ask them for the details...it's not that i dont like the bumpers...i just want to be different from any other x3...then again,the aerokit really looks cool..
    On a whim, I stopped into the dealership for another test drive today. I spoke to my sales rep who accomodated me immediately. (my wife and I really like this person, he is one of the nicest low key/honest sales reps I've ever dealt with). The vehicle he got for me was a black 3L with the metal trim.

The difference between this test drive and the last, is that my cool sales rep brought me into an empty parking lot packed with hard snow and ice from the previous days' storm. I got the chance to flog the car and see how the xdrive handled. From a dead stop, I floored it and the same time turned the wheel in an attempt to swing the back-end out. The X3 was as cool and composed as a cucumber. Next after getting up to about 30 mph, jammed on the brakes in an attempt to maker 'er skid. Not a chance. She stopped as straight as an arrow, ABS puslating. Never was able to get the DSC light on. My wife and I were both impressed.

On the dry roads, the handling was exemplary and was all BMW. As others have reported I felt or heard none of the following: wind noise, abupt transmission shifts, jarring/jiggly ride. Inside materials was different though commesurate with the current vehicle.

As far as nits go:

1. one cupholder?
    2. what happened to the infamous BMW thunk when the door is closed?

As an added bonus, I got the opportunity to check out a 760il and Z8, which were sitting side by side, (next to a fully optioned Imola red M3) on the showroom floor!
  • tps3tps3 Posts: 17
    I think, suffice it to say, that the Lincoln Aviator / Mercury Mountaineer market does not cross over much at all with the market BMW is addressing with the X3. So it's no surprise at all that you would not find the pricing of the X3 to be a good value. Similarly, it doesn't cause any surprise that you come to this conclusion without ever driving the X3. People focus on what's important to them, and clearly the driving experience wasn't a relevant data point for you, which is fine.

It's the same reason that to me, Sansabelt slacks are a bad value regardless of the price. But as any Lincoln dealer will tell you, there are plenty of people who find them to be fairly priced at $29.95. Value is in the eye of the purchasor.
  • scotth6scotth6 Posts: 43
    Ordered a loaded X3 3.0 in late November and it was built last week and will be here in 3 weeks.
    I got the sport, premium Pkg, better wheels, xenon, premium stereo, heated seats etc with a $46 sticker. I am probably not the typical X3 targeted buyer since I own a 2002M3 convertible and a 2003 M3 coupe and I am trading in my 2001 X5 with 45,000 miles.
    For the people who can't comprehend why people would spend $46k on an X3 drive a M3 and it will explain itself. BMW's are about 1)handling 2) not having what everyone else drives 3) the highest resale of any luxury brand(look it up if you don't believe me) 4) excellent quality 5) free maintanance for 4 years 6) great looks and more. I don't believe anyone ever accused BMW of having the best interiors, buy a Jag or an Audi if that is what turns you on. If you can't offord one don't bash them just buy a used one, maybe you can get my X5 from Hancock in Columbia, SC. I have had 8 BMW's and until they ever really dissapoint me I won't change brands.
    Having driven an X5 3.0 for 31/2 years I can tell you that the X3 handles a lot better. I wanted better gas milage and a lighter vehicle that was more fun to drive since I'm used to driving M3's. I have previously owned a 2001 330CIC, 1997 528I, 1996 328Ci, 1998 Z3 2.8 etc.
    My X5 had a lot of minor rattles and small problems but never any problems that would keep me off the road and all were fixed under warranty.
    I got a black X3 with the Terracota leather and dark wood trim and I think it will be beautiful.
    "I got a black X3 with the Terracota leather and dark wood trim and I think it will be beautiful."

You think it will be beautiful. :)
  • vsromanvsroman Posts: 95
    you must see the full brochure view of the Terracota leather with black interior. It is beautiful and really screams luxury. My only complaint is the limited exterior colors available with Terracota. It really should be available with all colors...I can't think of one that it wouldn't complement.
  • I went back & forth on 2.5 vs 3.0 all weekend. I had two dealers (one in particular I trust alot)tell me that the 2.5 should be more than adequate for the average person and the drive & handling will be the same. Someone who is very particular about power may notice the difference. The diff is a little less than 2 seconds more for the 2.5 for the 0-60 test. I think I could have talked my husband into the 3.0 if it wasn't for the additional wait time.

So as of today, I'm the proud new owner of a an X-3. Can't wait until it gets here.

kdshapiro - there is a second cupholder for the front passenger. Unfortunately both are lame...but I didn't buy the vehicle for its cup holders ;-)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,764

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• saugataksaugatak Posts: 488
    i stayed out of the renewed interior and value debate b/c i had already stated my opinion and felt the topic had been beaten to death.

i do find it funny that avi_driver, sunilb and myself have almost the same exact opinion regarding the X3 (which is that BMW should be providing more power and luxury for the price it is charging).

if all you care about is handling and the BMW badge, the X3 is for you. if you want a nice blend of handling, power, luxury and solid feel (X3's doors are too light IMO), there are other vehicles at comparable or better prices.
  • Does your 2001 X5 has the Sport package? And if yes, how do you compare the handling to the X3? I'm sure the X5 is not as nimble, but how different is it??
  • Ulep says, "it seems that thers a lot of new members on this board.tponchak, kssoman, kdshapiro, saugatak..where are you people...missed the mesage board war"

I've been here, Ulep.:) Saugatak and I have agreed to disagree and leave it at that.

However, Saugatak says, "i do find it funny that avi_driver, sunilb and myself have almost the same exact opinion regarding the X3 (which is that BMW should be providing more power and luxury for the price it is charging)."

Saugatak, there's just as many (or more) posts I can reference to start our debate anew. Don't make me go back to your Ford Escape comparisons.:)

Seriously, Saugatak, did you take my advice and see the X3 at the L.A. Auto Show???
  • Ulep says, "not everybody has the x3. so ill be one of the few proud owners of this sav."

Totally, Ulep. Can't wait to be one of the few and the proud.:)

Ulep says, "I remembered when they first came out w/ the x5, people are laughing at bmw but it turned out it was one of the best suv out there. and now its happening again."

I love BMW and ALL of their new models because they push the envelope and dare to be different. They don't look AND drive like anything else on the road, and, frankly, that's what I'm looking for when spending $50k. They take risks in the new segments they enter and the styling of their vehicles, while staying true to what they're known for, dynamic performance and a sporty ride.

Love the "Bangled" 5, 7, 6, Z4, and love my forthcoming X3!!!

Good summary and analysis, Ulep.
  • Kdshapiro says, "I'll bet you an X3 if you took the emblem off, masqueraded the car and disguised the following a Mountaineer, X3, Pathfinder, Jeep Cherokee, etc, you would be able to pick out the BMW by the drive. Now if you put the emblem back on, you would see the classic looks and lines and functional yet nicely laid out interior relative to these other vehicles."

And that's one of the top two reasons you buy a BMW. And that's why the X3 will be such as success.
  • Sunilb, the BMW brand DOES communicate to the consumer what to expect upon introduction to the X3. The attributes that BMW is known for and stands for should be represented in the X3 for it to live up to it's nameplate and to justify and earn our respect.

Sunilb says, "But, I think BMW skipped part of this equation and went straight to branding of this car, without working on the all of the components to make it "great"."

Sunilb, maybe you should read through all the prior posts on this board. The X3 totally lives up to it's parent company's core values. The perceived negatives so far have only been "too" sporty of a ride and an interior that does not live up to a select few's expectations. This is a BMW through and through.

Sunilb, you make no mention of your initial impression from any test drives or time behind the wheel of the X3. Maybe you should take a test drive and get back to us.:) Thanks for playing.
  • Scotth6 says, "For the people who can't comprehend why people would spend $46k on an X3 drive a M3 and it will explain itself. BMW's are about 1)handling 2) not having what everyone else drives 3) the highest resale of any luxury brand(look it up if you don't believe me) 4) excellent quality 5) free maintanance for 4 years 6) great looks and more."

Couldn't agree with you more, Scotth6. Those are a lot of the reasons why I'm awaiting my $49,770 X3 in early March. I don't want a common car and I want something that is fun and exciting to drive. The X3 was more fun and exciting than the X5 and close (or equal to me) than the 3 series.

Saugatak, I could have made a comment on Scotth6's interior comment, but, I'm restraining myself.:)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Self-restraint is a virtue! :-)

tidester, host