Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• riri23riri23 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks HSY for posting the dimensions.
    I can't wait to see the X3 in person and compare it side to side to the X5.

Does anybody knows the prices for the U.S.?
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    base price will be around 35-36. I'd expect a reasonably equipped one with auto, prem, etc....to be mid 40's
  • brock9brock9 Member Posts: 5
    Experience the X3 here: http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/index.html
    The X3 is the only vehicle I've been excited about in the last few years.
    I can't wait to see it in person!
  • cabaistecabaiste Member Posts: 31
    BMW Financial Services website now lists the MSRP pricing on the X3. It is $30,995 for the 2.5 and $36,995 for the 3.0. You can access individual model price info under the lease/loan estimator.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Any cargo space #s out there?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    First, thanks for the info. I've been waiting for X3 but these reviews are quite disappointing.

"Inappropriately cheap-looking fittings, unacceptable ride comfort, not as lively as expected for 3.0 litres, overpriced."

"Ride is unrelentingly choppy and the fit and finish of the interior are way below usual BMW standards. Petrol engines are big, thirsty and costly to run."

Will the US version be possibly different? Otherwise, I'll have to wait a couple of years for changes, hopefully.
    I was a bit disappointed too but you can't always trust the reviews. I still want to see it in person. I'm concern about prices; it might be too close to the X5 for me to consider the smaller one. BMWNA is keeping all the X3 info so secret that it is ridiculous

I read on another site that the brochure offers little information. i. e. premium package is TBD (to be determined?), Weight, Permitted load, top speed, acceleration, fuel consumption, manual transmission, automatic transmission and fuel capacity all TBD.

Hello!!!!! Why bother putting the brochure out?

anxiously waiting... riri :)
  • doctord13doctord13 Member Posts: 22
    I too have been waiting, and was told by my local dealer the x3 would be in late Feb. Today I received a brochure (small card) with info and lots of pics, and re ignited my interest - I am in need of a new car and have struggled between the Lex 330, highlander (not as plush but quite the deal) and the MDX, which did not fit in my (single) garage.
    I called the 800# which was a call center (obviously not well trained as the operator did not know what an X3 was), and she re directed me to BMW customer service - she did take my name for a brochure however, and said it would be in the mail tomorrow!

BOW cuts service had no additional info today, so I turned to edmunds for more info (as if I am not already overloaded already)

The international web site for BMW (http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/products/automobiles/showroom/- x3/x3/index.html) has the best pics of the inside and out (I hope the large sunroof is available here), and the BMW USA site has fewer pics, but as noted above, does state availability is 11/28. At least that is better than after snow season here in the Midwest!

Anyone spoken to any dealers about test drives early??

any other info gleaned from other sites????

We'll see if I can hold out another 45 days!

thanks
    We were told here in Peoria that dealers will receive demonstration units the day after thanksgiving. We are planning a ride and drive event that week for our clients. I will be in Irvine, Ca for some X3 training and race track driving mid Nov.
  • psychrunnerpsychrunner Member Posts: 1
    Will the X3 really be priced in the 40k range? i find that relatively prohibitive given the competition (e.g., MDX, RX 330, etc) and the smaller size of the X3. I am hoping more in the 34k range for the 2.5. Is this an unrealisitic
    hope?
    expect the 2.5 base price to be in the range that you mentioned. The lexus is the segment sales leader here by a huge margin and a moderately equipped one is 40ish and a fancy one is way up there in the mid 40's. Heck, a Trailblazer can be darn near 40.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    on edmunds.com home page.
    Wow...
    "Body roll is so well contained that I initially thought the test vehicle was equipped with BMW's optional sport suspension. In reality, the tester was the base 3.0 model with standard suspension, 17-inch wheels and 235/55R17 radials. Its steering is so precise and its turn-in is so immediate it seems a waste of time and ride comfort to opt for the stiffer suspension."

How about that!
    But this may mean the price will be higher than expected...
    Sounds like they were falling all over themselves about this car. I'm always a little skeptical when a review(er) makes such a glowing review.

If they have contained the body roll (which is usually inherent to any high-riding vehicle), that could do wonders for the driving dynamics.

Two things that bother me, though:
    1- the interior looks cheaper; and
    2- they will be building these in a factory right next to Jeep (and at least one other) vehicle. I'm not too keen on the outsourcing of the assembly of a "premium" vehicle.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    You guys are QUICK!
    For anyone who hasn't found it yet:
    BMW X3 First Drive

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I hear X3 is currently manufactured from the plant in Austria and will soon move to South Carolina BMW plant. Why do you say it will be built next to Jeep (DaimlerChrysler?) line?
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Does the X3 have a low range? I assume not, but the first drive report didn't say. Also, what is the ground clearance? I'm assuming not much...
    There was an article in the WSJ a week or so back that indicated that the X3 will be built alongside two non-BMW vehicles (Jeep was the only one I could remember) at a non-BMW facility.

Who knows, BMW's quality-control hasn't been outstanding so maybe this will work out better for them...?

(total tangent-- nice username. I used to mtn bike at sope creek... before they stopped allowing mtn bikes there)
    Ground Clearance is 7.9 in.
    Below is a link to a Canadian review (7 pages) and if you are like me you just can't get enough info on this little one.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,BMW.spy?artid=1- 8138
    They still do, I believe. I only walk along Chattahooche trails but I saw several mountain bikers dusting down that trail from sope creek a couple of weeks ago. Well, I never tried the mtn bike there, so you proably know better.
  • phastphilphastphil Member Posts: 22
    I've been holding out for a 'compact' SUV for some years now. I looked at the FX, X-5, ML, Toureg etc, but nothing 'clicked' until now. I'm excited, but I'm holding back so I'm not too dissapointed if its not exactly what I want. I drive a very nice GLX Passat with only 20K after 3 years, so I'm in no rush to buy something. But after reading the reviews and comments, I think I'm really close.

Has anyone got the scoop on the options....that's where BMW gets you. I'm hoping they don't drive the price over my budget.

And lastly, I found out that I don't have to do business with Ft. Lauderdale BMW. They were so arrogant and nasty, that I just would NEVER buy anything from those jerks. Now with the new dealer in Coconut Creek, they have some competition...anyone bought from them? Any experiences?
    I really like the new pics of the maroon colored X3 that I'm seeing on the edmunds & above canadian reviews better than the blue X3 and Beige X3 on the BMW website.

So is the official release date on this thing is Feb 1?

I'm sure the first batch of X3s will come as 3.0L w/ Auto and Premium Package (maybe a few w/ Sport Package).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    that the X5 is moving more upscale/larger in the next year or two, specially with the launch of the new 5 platform... well either way with the new X3, one thing is certain, move over lx330...
  • hondaochondaoc Member Posts: 1
    If the price follows the 3 series pricing, starting in the high 20's - topping out around 40, it will be a winner. However, I have a feeling, judging by the reluctance of BMW to release pricing, that it may be closer to the X5 in terms of price than many people will be comfortable with... I hope not because they will definately make it up in volume if its priced fairly.

Also, has anyone heard how close the mileage numbers will be to the 3 sedan? BMW should bring the diesel engine to the US - if ever there was a vehicle and time to pull it off its the X3 and now!
  • mkarpmkarp Member Posts: 22
    If you visit the bmwusa.com site and look under payment estimator you see base prices for the 2004 X3 2.5 and 3.0. The 2.5, I think it said $30,900. IMO I am sure once the options are added you will be looking at $35-$36k. Hopefully they will release the "offical" $$ soon....
    buried in the payment estimator... there is no direct way to get this info, but anyways:
    2004 2.5 X3 without options $30,995
    2004 3.0 X3 without options $36,995

same ball park as the 3.

compare that to 2004 3.0 X5 without options at $40,995... the 2003 X5 to 2004 X5 spread is $800

ksso
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    "...well either way with the new X3, one thing is certain, move over lx330..."

Based on its size and sporting nature, I see it as more of an upscale CRX, Forester, and RAV and not as a direct competitor to the RX330, which emphasized luxury. With the 3.0 engine it will also be cross-shopped against the FX35.
  • pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    With the X3 not being that much smaller than
    the X5, people would be hard pressed to spend
    $4K extra for the 3.0L X5 of the 3.0L X3.
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Member Posts: 1
    Did the fact that X5 and Z4 are not made in Germany undercut it's quality?
    In another words, does it in anyway fall behind other German-born BMW models?
    I highly interested in the X3 but it's native country is holding me back from considering it as my next investment.

Thank you in advance...
    Despite the fact that it will be built here in the US, but make no mistake about it that the X3 is a German native. The X3 was engineered and designed (not sure about the design part) in Germany and will be built on the much praised (and proven) E46 platform which underpins the current 3-series. The 2.5L & 3.0L Inline 6 mills are powerful, well balanced, and have millions of real world miles under their belts. I believe the X5 had some quality control issues when it first came out. Don't expect a company like BMW to make the same mistake twice.

• nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    From what I've read the X3 will be built in Austria..
  • brock9brock9 Member Posts: 5
    BMW X3: The new model in the BMW X family is the result of a development and production agreement between BMW and MAGNA STEYR signed in fall 2001. Under the agreement, BMW engineers drew up a detailed vehicle concept, which MAGNA STEYR developed to the production stage with ongoing project support from BMW. The new Sports Activity Vehicle will be produced in Graz at a completely new, self-sufficient manufacturing facility equipped exclusively for the BMW X3 with its own paint shop, body shop and final assembly.
    New start-ups sound great in Press Releases, but how does that translate to us 'guys' who are early adopters?

Should I be nervous?

BMW is a stand-up company, but judging from some of the complaints about build quality when they started S.C., I'm wondering if waiting a few months wouldn't be the prudent thing to do, rather than be the first one on my block with a X3.
    The first year of any new model is generally associated with additional bugs needing to be worked out. I believe this is regardless of make (though some are less prone to this than others).

The longer you wait into the cycle of the model's life, the better your chances are that any issues have already been worked out.

Personally, I don't care to be the "beta"-tester for any large purchases.
  • bjoyebjoye Member Posts: 35
    My lease is up on my 525 soon, and my dealer emailed me and said he'd have the X3 by Thanksgiving. The website says "Test drive at a BMW center near you starting November 28th."
  • ezuserezuser Member Posts: 1
    When is the best time to buy in tum of price such totally new models like X3?

Does anybody have any experience or statistics on when company give best insentives - right aftere release to get more first buyers or closer to the end of model year?
    2 years down the line, if the Acura MDX is a fair indicator.. The X5 also kept close to MSRP price for a considerable time. I personally have a gut feeling that the X3 will make people line up like the MDX...

my 1 cent...
    ksso
  • bmwwifebmwwife Member Posts: 29
    and the vehicle should cost less, should. However, the vehicle is not worth as much either. And, at the point you can be sitting saying "well, I don't know if this is the right time to get vehicle A, because there is an all new vehicle B coming out, but they probably will be selling for too much."

Buy sooner and start enjoying sooner.
    I contacted my local dealer (BMW of Manhattan) requesting further information on the X3. He said in an email that they will be getting an X3 for display sometime this month. I don't know if this is true of all dealers or because BMW of Manhattan is owned by BMW NA. He said they do have literature and invited me to come down and take a look. I just may have to take him up on that offer.

i'll be working full time in manhattan/hoboken from the 17th... finally done with the west....

ksso
    I stopped in one of the BMW stores in Cincinnati today to find out more in person - had previously called as I am in need of new wheels before the end of year.
    Was told by the salesperson that they were notified that the X3 will not be available now until 2/1/2004 as they have had a production problem and will not have the number of vehicles (40K) they wanted to launch available 11/28 as is posted on the BMW USA site.
    Anybody else heard similar???
    I was hoping to hold out to the end of November, but cant as I need to spend some of the small business tax break the republicans gave us! Was hoping that this vehicle would bridge the gap between the Lexus 330 and MDX - size/handling/style which it may, but too bad not until too late...made me wonder if I wanted to buy a first year production car, even if its BMW...
    He was however, happy to show/demo the X5 which is a little larger with a larger price point than I wanted...
    Anyone else with any info?
    Hi All,
    I received the same info from my dealer in South Florida: Car can be seen the day after Thanksgiving, however he also said they were going to show it at the Miami Car Show. He invited me in to test drive and send me one of the preliminary brochures. It was not detailed, but alluded to certain packages and standard features, I'll reserve my judgement until I see it.
  • junowjunow Member Posts: 4
    The web site is up.
    Spoke with our dealers again yesterday - the demo x'3s will be available 11/28 as advertised --HOWEVER, they are being built in Germany and not Austria - they will not be for sale, and no X3's will be available for delivery until 2/1/04....
    Apparently the Austira plant is not ramped up to cover the need...
    Any dealers out there who can confirm, or have other info??????
    Got the same info from my dealer, however he said there were some early production units available in January. I think I would wait until things get going before I plunk down my $40K. Also, limited options/colors on the early units.
    US debut is at the Miami Car Show starting this week, demos available the week of Nov 24.
    Does anyone have any advance info on the option list yet?
  • bmwbob277bmwbob277 Member Posts: 15
    Hi All,
     Punch up www.bmwusa.com and every thing is there. Click on "build your own X3" and then the options and costs are added up. Have fun.
  • rudikamprudikamp Member Posts: 34
    Full report listed on www.germancarfans.com
    Enjoy.