Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac STS/STS-V: What's New for 2007?

1192021222325»

Comments

• sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    GM's options scheme is not limited to the STS or even Cadillac. Other cars are offered with different options on certain trims. BMW offers only one axle ratio with a particular engine/transmission combination I think. I do not really see the point in the different axle gears, except for the EPA rating. By making the high performance packages exceedingly expensive, they probably sell a small enough number that the base gears are used for the fuel economy rating.

I still think that the optimum axle ratio should change with the six speed automatic for best performance.
    The media site has released the 2007 STS stuff. The base axle ratio is 3.42:1 for all V8 trim levels as well as the V6. This gives an overall ratio of 2.29:1 in top gear for the V8, compared to 2.05 for the base V8 with 2.73:1 gears last year.

It seems to me, after reviewing and thinking more about what you posted above, that what you want is the top of the line STS with all the performance junk, at a V6 price. That is not really a reasonable expectation.
  • horns1976horns1976 Member Posts: 56
    Edmunds says that one of the cons of the STS is the front bucket seats. Too hard or something like that. I would appreciate any comments regarding the comfort of the front seats. I am considering an STS and cannot abide hard seats a la Lexus, Honda, etc. Thanks.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Since I have posted here with some regularity, I thought I’d post a ( likely ) final message . . . At least for quite a while.

After driving several STS V8s, including the second STS-v delivered locally, I decided to order a 2007 Corvette Coupe. For many reasons.

Details of my test drive impressions are posted on the Corvette forums here on Edmunds. I in no way mean to suggest that the Corvette is a competitor to the STS in any traditional sense.

I happen right now to be in a situation where a back seat is no longer an absolute requirement for me. And I have decided to take the opportunity to buy a corvette. With many of the comfort & convenience items that I have found attractive on the STS. ( Again, details of my option choices, and why, are posted in the Corvette Forums. ) Thus equipped, I see the Corvette as more GT than “pure sports car” – but others will disagree.

I see the C6, as of MY 2006 ( with the addition of the A6 trans. ) as a world class GT car and a world class bargain.

Not cheap, mind you. The MSRP of the one I ordered is over $10,000 more than my 2003 LS. And the actual transaction price is higher by even more . . .

Carpe C6.

Cheers y’all.
    - Ray
    2007 Corvette on order & counting the days . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I'm driving my Mother's '05 STS. My "normal car" is a BMW 3 series.

I find the Caddy's seats more comfortable. They don't have the bolstering of the BMW's seats, but that's both a blessing and a curse. The Caddy's seats seem to have more/better padding material. Plus, the leather in the Caddy seems to be much softer than that in the BMW.

In fast driving, on lots of switchbacks, I'll take the BMW's seats. In everyday, around town driving, I'll take the Caddy's seats. On a long highway trip? Caddy.....hands down.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    find the materials on the STS, are they up to BMW spec, according to you at least?

Also, what STS is it? I was wondering if anyone has driven the new 6 speed STS and an STS4 of any years, just to find out how the AWD system is.

you know, there is not as big a difference between a fully loaded (with every option) STS4 and a STSV :surprise:
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    :shades: Got a STS V6 lux for an overnight drive. Sticker at just under $53K. Love the nav. setup and Bose. I think it rides great. Firm, but not harsh just like my 99 STS did. The V6 really surprised me as I wondered going in if I would be happy with it. Plenty of power and all wheel drive too. Will be buying it. My price is 46,300 minus the 2145 for the free Nav. that Caddy is offering until the end of the year. Black on Black with sunroof :shades:
    That's a cool color combo,

Did you get the wood interrior? I know some interriors have wood on the dash, but not the steering wheel and shifter :confuse:

You know, if they just lower the price a bit, they would not have to offer all these rebates... we will see i guess.

You got a good deal, though. I would expect to pay that much for a V6 Nav AWD. Let us know how its doing! ;)
    Took it back on Sat. morning after keeping it overnight and my sales guy was off for the day. We went back Sunday and saw the exact same STS except in the Red. Wife loved it as we have a Colorado 4 X 4 crewcab that is black so she and I agreed should get something different. The red is a premium paint $$$ so I didn't suggest it at the time. Yes both the black and the red have the wood on the dash, steering wheel, and shifter. It really looks sharp. Picked it up last night and have 34 whole miles on it. Funny thing is the black had the same 9 miles on it when I took it home and 99 when I bought it back Sat. Salesman also gave me a Caddy coat to go with the car. I'm GM retired so got it at GMS and $2145 rebate for the nav. and $1000 retired bonus.
    Are you saying that GM let you test drive the car for a whole day, and then you could take it back, and just switch for a different model? THATS SO AWESOME!

One of the few incentive programs, that I thought was really worth anything was that 'drive for a day' program, because it didn't really lower the value of the car, they didn't offer you a discount, just a prolonged test drive.

Anywhay, more GM dealers should offer the kind of service you had to there customers, that would help with sales and image.
    GM had nothing to do with the overnight drive. Capitol Cadillac in Lansing is a first rate dealer and this was the salesmans call. Dropped it off on a Sat. morning and since my salesman wasn't in that day gave it to the sales manager. All he said was how did you like it. No pressure to buy or anything. Called the salesman Monday morning and told him we decided not to buy that car. He said no problem. That is when I said we decided we like the exact same STS except in the Red. I would come in after work and see what the price was and if we would buy or lease. Got there that afternoon and he had a red one sitting there all detailed and ready to go if we still wanted it. Gave him my GMS #, $1K certificate for being a GM retired person and we figured out the price. Through in the fabric protection, paint protection, and a Caddy jacket. Walked out with a new car and a big smile on my face.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Might be a little late in answering your question....

But, build quality in both the BMW and the Caddy are very good. I'm trying to split time in both cars. I don't want my mother's STS to sit much...and I don't want to put a pile of miles on my BMW.

BMW outhandles the Caddy. But the Caddy feels faster. The more I drive the Caddy, the more I'm getting used to it's driving characteristics. It's a very fluid drive.

It's an AWD V8 STS. When she bought it, she got all the bells and whistles. I'd bet she never even used the Nav or the surround sound. All the radio presets were on "talk radio". Stereo is very good in the STS....probably one of the best factory systems I've ever heard. My one pet peeve with the navi in the Caddy is the fact it won't let you use a lot of the functions once the car gets above 6 MPH. Whereas, in the BMW, all the funcions can be used while driving.

Seats are more comfy in the Caddy. It has some nice bolsters, but they aren't too hard. My BMW's "comfort access" (keyless start, personalization settings, etc) gets crossed up on occasion (doors won't unlock unless I use the fob, instead of me just touching the door handle...mirros fold in when I don't want them to). The remote start and keyless start/personliaztion on the Caddy works flawlessly, so far. I'm betting I find the remote start usefull this winter to warm up the car when it gets real cold.

MPG is mediocre in the Caddy. I'm getting about 16-17 MPG in city driving. It gets about 27-28 MPG on the hgiway, though. My BMW's city MPG is better, but the Caddy's highway MPG is better.

It's really too bad that Cadillac doesn't do a better job of marketing. This is the first American brand I've liked in quite a few years.

They're really two different cars...the STS and the BMW, in two different classes. The BMW is a sports sedan, first and foremost. I think the STS has some sportiness tuned into it, but it's job is a luxury car. I don't know what my mother paid for the Caddy, but I'd bet is was about $10K more than I paid for the BMW. The Caddy is bigger all the way around over the 330i. Neither has even a hint of a squeak or rattle. Both are very nice cars.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I see a 'short take' ( 1 page ) on the 2008 V6 STS in the C+D that arrived today...
    - Ray
    Sounds worth a test drive......
    2022 X3 M40i
    I see Edmunds has the 2008 V6 base at $42,390...
    2022 X3 M40i
    I have read through the 2008 list of changes elsewhere – and I am surprised to see nothing about any upgrades to the MX0 \ 6L80’s shift behavior.

I currently drive a 2007 Corvette Coupe. On the 2008 Corvette Order Guide site GM \ Chevy states: “Improved paddle shift automatic with quicker shift on (MX0) automatic transmission”.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about similar improvements for the 2008 STS-v? Since it uses a version of the same 6L80, I’d hope that there would be comparable improvements in the Caddy Flagship. . . ???

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Considering a Sedan to “go with” the Corvette . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • box986box986 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, Ray. Similar improvements were made on the STSv.
    "Yes, Ray. Similar improvements were made on the STSv. "

Interesting.
    Source?
    [ Edit: Details? ]
    Seems very curious [ to me ] that GM \ Caddy make no mention of this - that I have seen...
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Sufficienly interested to schedule a test drive...
    2022 X3 M40i
    I “requested” way back in 2005 and \ or 2006 that Caddy revamp their option and equipment availability policy – to allow configuration of what I’d call an STS GT. Less ( mandatory ) luxury and convenience options required before one could order the PCZ “Performance Handling Package” with the NorthStar V8.

It appears that, with the introduction of the substantially upgraded V6 version of the 2008 STS, Caddy has in fact decided to allow something quite similar to what I had in mind back then.

Essentially, I was looking for the highest \ best performance & handling equipment, without pushing MSRP well over $60K – for ‘stuff’ I really did not care that much about. ( Such as the Navigation system, Bose sound system, HIDs, rear heated seats, and a few other items. )

This V6, with 300+ HP and a flat TQ curve, implying good general drivability in addition to that rather high specific output, mated to GM’s 6L50 6 speed automatic ( a version of the trans. in my Corvette ) intrigues me. Particularly with the imminent release of the CTS. ( Still waiting to see pricing. )

** IF ** the dynamics of the 2008 V6 STS are actually much as described in the previews I have read, and the quality ( mechanically & cosmetically ) is improved – in addition to the revamped interior & exterior. ( The 4 previews I have read so far, including 1 here on Edmunds, have been quite positive. )

And ** IF ** the acceleration feel and handling feel of the V6 is truly as good as initial reviews, based on pre-production examples, is as good as reported. And the NVH control is refined.

And ** IF ** the [ real world ] fuel mileage is reasonable.

Etc.

THEN, I see this as an advance toward Caddy making the STS a sales success. And building a base of [ very ] satisfied Caddy customers. I see potential to sell more V6 STSs than V8s, as has always been true – and these advancements sound like they’ll make the STS V6 something that will impress.

If the V6 STS sells in larger numbers, and the upcoming CTS ( same motor available ) also becomes a sales success, these revenue stream enhancements ** MAY ** allow Caddy to invest in the other aspects that would push the Brand higher. If GM so chooses.

I have asked the Internet Manager at my closest dealer to notify me when 2008 V6 STSs start arriving. I plan to test drive one, equipped as close as possible to how I’d buy one: 1SC, PDQ & PCZ. MSRP just under $55K. ( Where previously a V8 with PCZ had to be a 1SG, and had an MSRP well over $60K. A 2007 1SG – V8 w/Sunroof and premium paint currently on my Dealer’s lot lists at $62,940. That is without a HUD. And with no PCZ. )

In addition to the larger ( Summer only ) tires & wider wheels & Brembo brakes, a 2008 STS V6 so equipped would even include a HUD – something previously only available bundled with (K59) Adaptive Cruise Control, and priced at something over $2,000. And again only available on the V8 with 1SG. I have had a HUD on past vehicles and have one on my Corvette – and appreciate the usefulness.

It would include the Navigation system, heated AND VENTILATED front seats – and even a heated steering wheel. For a much more reasonable actual transaction cost. IMHO. And at a ‘penalty’ ( vs the V8 version ) of only 0.2 seconds in 0 – 60 acceleration. A difference I suspect very, very few could discern. IMHO.

I see all this as Caddy making progress – movement in what I consider “The Right Direction”.
    Cheers,
    - Ray
    Willing to be convinced that this is a satisfying sedan to drive . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My one pet peeve with the navi in the Caddy is the fact it won't let you use a lot of the functions once the car gets above 6 MPH. Whereas, in the BMW, all the funcions can be used while driving.

I agree with you - but so far, the Germans are the only ones I have tried that will let you use the Nav while in motion - imagine that, they like to drive 200kph too! Go figure!

The lawyers in America and Japan don't trust us to operate a function and drive at the same time. Irritating. :mad:
  • formulalarryformulalarry Member Posts: 1
    Boss,
    Do you have the code for the 2008 CTS Nav. System?
    Thanks in advance.
    Larry
  • mikes11mikes11 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any short cuts or tips on how to use and program the navigation system on the 2007 STS? I am having a very had time getting it programed and the manual does not help. Thanks Mike
    ". . the manual does not help. "
    Are you using the seperate STS Nav System manual?
    The 2006 version runs to about 158 pages.
    (( You can find a .pdf copy on mygmlink. ))
    - Ray
    Good luck....
    2022 X3 M40i
    I have a 2007 SRX with nav. I am not quite sure what you mean by "programing"? If you are trying to enter an address, you must be in the right region for that address.
    Thanks. :shades: :shades:
    Thanks still working on it. :shades:
    I take it that you are trying to enter a destination?

You can pick one off the map, but either way, to get started you push the dest button (at least that is true on my SRX), then a menu will pop up.

To work on entering a destination, you must be parked. Once the destinations are in your address list, then you can choose one while driving.

Having looked at the STS interior pictures, I see that you nav is not the same as the SRX's, but your controls are probably all on the touch screen, while some of mine are hard buttons off of the touch screen. So my help will be limited.
    Thanks, I am getting the hang of it. :shades:
    On my nav, streets that have an east, west; north or south as part of the name, you type in the basic street name (without the E or W; N or S) and it will ask for the direction part or offer the direction in a list of streets of that name.
  • lb05lb05 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what GM does to the unsold 2007 Cadillac STS?
  • palaltpalalt Member Posts: 25
    Cadillac has their Field Reps drive them, then resell them as used. Last month I bought an 07 STS, V6 AWD with Nav and a Moonroof. It was titled to General Motors, the only purpose to me was that they didn't allow the perception that you could buy a NEW STS for such a discouint. To me it was like buying a Demo. My car was in service 5 months, has 6000 miles, MSRP was $52,400. I bought it outright for $28,000 cash, no trade. This is one of the most stable driving cars I've ever owned. The AWD was awesome this winter in Chicago with the 62" of snow we've had. It's very quiet and comfortable. The options are never ending, even down to the heated and cooled seats.The 6CD Surround Sound is great. The NAV is interesting, as long as I don't hit something while I'm watching the screen. I still haven't tackled programming a destination. Mileage isn't great with the AWD, Instant MPG on cruise at 75 says only 22. Considering a loaded Camry or Accord costs $28K, I couldn't be happier with my deal. There are quite a few 07 STS' advertised around Chicago for around $33K. I looked at a few with similar miles and every dealer noted they were Cadillac owned and driven cars. I jumped on the deal advertised for $5K less than everyone else. Someone made an advertising mistake (I think) and I was there in a flash, didn't ask questions, checked it out, drove it and started counting out cash.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    A lot of car for the money.....smokin' deal.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    My God, what a spectacular deal.

I'm looking for about 9 to 12 months out. I've kept my Maxima (bought new) for 16 years. I want to replace it with something a little plusher, hopefully under $30k. I'd still like just the faintest hint of over-the-road responsiveness. Cooled seats would be swell. Real wood, even sweller.

I could love the CTS except for one fatal flaw: The console digs into my right leg. The Avalon is ungainly and unpleasing. The Azera is perfect for me except that it's a tad mushy, a bit blocky-looking in front, and the interior materials are just a bit cheesy. The Lexus ES lacks headroom for me, and just isn't enough car for what you pay. The TL is a great car, but too stiff and not roomy enough for my frame. The RL lacks room and costs too much. The Accord looks grotesque outside and cheap inside. The Camry doesn't even make the discussion.

I live in the Chicago area. If I may ask, what dealer went so low?
    I found my 07 at Al Piemonte Cadillac in St. Charles. I had found a couple close to the $30K mark but they were missing the 3 big items; NAV, AWD and Moonroof. A basic RWD car didn't do the job for me regardless of price. Piemonte actually had those base cars advertised for higher than the loaded one I purchased. Don't ask me why. They were all around 6K on the miles and were Cadillac owned cars. I think someone picked the wrong car stock # to advertise as the price leader. The salesman double checked the stock # to make sure I was on the right car. Fortunately he wasn't bright enough to raise the issue with management, just going along with the deal. Once the papers are signed and the money changes hands, the consumer does not have a right to cancel, (I've tried it before). If it's a legal, binding contract, it's binding for 'both' parties. Even if you have to pay $30k or over, which I don't think you will in 9 months, you should be happy. If you're in Chicago, don't even think about going with RWD. I've seen a few STS' going nowhere this winter, sliding all over the place, obviously not having AWD. The slight sacrifice in MPG has to be worth the safety. My STS only has the V6, which has plenty of go. I didn't want an oil burning Northstar V8. (Another whole topic). Good luck shopping!
    My 2007 SRX with the V8 does not use oil (so far) between changes. My first oil change was at 11500 miles and I had not added any oil. Some of the CTS owners are reporting V6 oil consumption rates of 1 qt in 1000 miles or so.
    Wow! I guess I better start checking the oil between changes on my V6 STS. I hadn't heard of a V6 consumption problem on any V6's, only the Northstar V8. I have a friend that has an 02 Eldo that uses at least a quart every 1K. Don't really know if the new motors are any better.

I have to ask. You performed your "first" oil change at 11K? That's not even close to what is recommended!
    In the CTS forum there are people who are having problems with V6 oil consumption. My 2002 Seville used about 4 quarts every 10000 miles, which was the oil monitor's oil change interval for me. I used Mobil 1 synthetic in it.

My dealer recommended the first change at the oil monitor's 30% oil life left stage, which was at 11,500 miles. This engine requires synthetic oil for the oil monitor to give the proper oil change interval. Cadillac sent me a coupon to use for the first change suggesting that I do it when the oil monitor request the change (@0%).
    Thank you very much, palalt. I appreciate you sharing this information.

As for the oil consumption question: I hadn't heard about the V6, but I have read more than once that the Northstar V8 has a chronic problem with leakage around its poorly designed two-piece oil pan. I don't know if this is the reason, but I've seen it suggested that many Northstars don't make it much past 100,000 miles -- which I personally consider, in this day and age (and at these prices), to be unacceptable performance.
  • raymmerraymmer Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2006 STS with the V-8 and I have had absolutely NO oil usage issues in the 2.5 years that I have had the vehicle.
    I test drove an '08 STS 4 (AWD) with the V6. Tan leather, wood dash and wheel, ventilated seats. It was far from comprehensive, just a spin around the block on crappy pavement and a tight turn or two, but I was bummed.

I'll preface this comment by saying I love the CTS, but it has one unfortunate deal-killer for me: the console hits my right knee. Minor to some, but hey, I can't amputate to widen my car choices. So palalt really caught my eye when he told of getting the essentially similar STS at sub-CTS prices.

My first impression (and second, and third) of the STS interior is that it doesn't come close to either CTS standards or modern ones. The materials are very good, but the design looks very dated and very old-school GM (which it is, I do understand). The left-hand stalk that contains the cruise and every other control on earth is just as confounding as other testers say it is. Even the real wood on the center stack and passenger's dash somehow looks superficially applied, not integral, which undermines its luxury appeal.

Beyond this, the interior room is truly disappointing. The console impinges on my right knee almost as badly as the CTS's does. I kidded to the salesman that I wished the multi-adjustable driver's seat moved an inch to the left. I never get why cars like this, with such ample room overall, can have driver's spaces so carelessly laid out that this can happen. (I experienced the same thing with the Avalon's shifter, by the way.) I'm 6'2", and sitting behind myself was an exercise in head-bending, loafer-twisting and knee-banging. The room back there doesn't come close to a Sonata, which is hard to comprehend at this size and price. Up front, I also have to agree with the owners who've complained there's no place to put anything; even the glovebox, with a door that's huge but pancake-flat, would benefit from a pair of simple side panels so you could at least rest something in it.

The actual drive, while short, gave almost no cause for complaint. The ventilated seats ventilate. The engine sounds great, is well isolated, and had plenty of pop for the modest requests I made of it. Low-speed cornering is impressively flat if a bit floaty, the steering is numb but accurate with a meaty wheel that felt good in my hands, and the ride was comfortable and controlled. Two nits: Expansion strips were hardly felt but clearly heard, too loudly for the class in my opinion. And I encountered yet another ergonomic glitch once underway, as my right foot kept getting trapped under the gas pedal every time I moved over from the brake.

Overall, I thought the basics of engine, suspension and chassis were fully worthy of the luxury class. But all the touch points were so frustrating, it killed the pleasure for me. Given the further uncertainty of the model's sketchy reliability scores, I don't think I personally could be happy knowing I paid to own this car. And I'm a bit sad to say that.
    OK – I just discovered that the ‘left-over’ 2008 STS V8s at my local Dealer are shown with both an Employee Price AND a further, 'cash back' discount –
    at least on the 2008 STS & CTS models
    I just checked....

Makes a fairly well "loaded" 2008 STS V8 with
    MSRP = $63K
    Sell = $52K

1SG \ V8 Premium Lux Perf Pkg
    ( includes Sunroof ? )
    Extra cost paint ( red )

Hmmm . . .
    - Ray
    Scheduled to drive one tomorrow AM . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • jsieksjsieks Member Posts: 5
    Buick Lucerne 8 cylinder...Great automobile: comfort, power. and LOOKS.
This discussion has been closed.