Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac STS/STS-V: What's New for 2007?

Comments

• wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    Everyone who likes the E-Class:
    Old same structure, ugly vehicle. Very ugly as a matter of fact. Only thing pretty about it is the logo piece that says Mercedes-Benz.

STS:
    Great car. Just how I expected it. I don't expect it any way different. The spy photos looked nice, and so does the current picture of the STS that was posted before. Personally, everyone might think something of it, but it looks good to me. The interior, now is what I want to see happen good.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Typical post - you being a GM fan and all. I think the E-Class is better-looking than the STS and is more a wind-cheating design. But saying a MB E-class is ugly looking?? Nuh uh. That's typically reserved for the 5-series. Then again, it's your opinion. :)
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    I think the E-class is one of the best looking cars on the road. I like how Cadillac addressed the issue of the gap between the headlights and grill, but the front looks too blocky and upright for me. I need more pics to make my final judgment. It also has too much ground clearance, typical of GM cars.

On the bright side, it looks like it has at least 18" wheels in that shot. 1 more hour until the Cadillac news conference!
    Click Here

They were just teasing us. I bet they won't release more pics until NYAIS.
  • wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    Though the discussion might be dry again, it was nice even as fast as it went. Cadillac's picture of it is all over the internet, besides the extra picture Wieck managed to have, but besides that there is nothing to talk about.

The Car Connection.com says "The CTS-like exterior has a more XLR-like interior, with eucalyptus wood and aluminum accents" which hints us something about what the STS interior will look like. And if this is the flagship what will happen to the DTS. I always thought the Seville was always the middle of the road.
    Cadillac was sure to stress that it had aluminum accents. They knew that the preproduction photo got around, and they wanted to clear that up.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    not horrible but a bit chunky looking.

not as sleek looking as that one mocked image that was floating around the mags/net that suggested a more windswept and flowing look.

its ok, has presence but not a drop dead stunner.
    It's more of an ugly duckling with a nice interior. Hopefully, that is. :)
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I was looking at that one last night. When you see the detail in the big picture it looks better. I'm sure it will be a good car, hopefully they will get the mix right with the V6 / V8. Apparently they screwed up the SRX mix and have too many V8 models (now with incentives) and a waiting list for V6 models.
  • msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    so far, I mostly like it. Certainly "flows" much better in these pics than the BMW E60 (which to me seems like a car designed in pieces by separate teams with no overall plan, then mashed together). Like any design, the STS will have lovers/haters, so it will be important to focus on other details, including costs. Given the dollar's plummet vs. the Euro, Cadillac is in a good position to bring it in under BMW, Merc and Audi competing models. Looking forward to more details and pics....
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    SRX V8 costs crazy money, $54 grand? Gimme a V6 for $30k and I'll consider it.

The STS will look better with a front license plate, come to think of it. That'll break up the monotony in the center of the bumper.

-juice
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    We've already seen the interior of this car. Someone at Cadillac told me several weeks ago that the picture posted on the internet was indeed the interior for this car.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    official description of the interior.

GM says it will have eucalyptis wood and aluminum trim. The picture showed a darker wood and little metal.
    At first glance, it does look reminiscent of the SRX's front clip. But if you go back and look at the SRX, there are some key differences.

First, the grill is the standard new face of Cadillac and it's nice to see them keep some consistency. The CTS's grill is deeper, but I suspect that they did the grill this way to stand out from that model.

This car's headlamps aren't as busy as the SRX. Also, there is a prominent divider between the fog lamps and the DRLs, which doesn't exist on the SRX or the CTS.

The air intake below the grill is closer to the CTS-V that anything else at Cadillac and that's a good thing. The mesh is very Mercedes E-class...not a bad place to steal from. An STS-V will likely have a bigger air intake in this space, as well as a mesh grill like the CTS-V.

The real story about this car is the lines. This is the first "art and science" car to really take a step back from the hard edges of the CTS, SRX and XLR (Escalade not withstanding since it's styling shares parts with other vehicles). It's like they took the A&S lines and lightly used the blur tool in Photoshop. The result is clearly the Lutz effect on the original Wayne Cherry styling.

The lower door line breaks up the slab sided nature of previous A&S efforts and is welcome.

The hood is too bland. There's no subtle power buldges or and the lines that lead to the grill are so subtle, you'd think they weren't there.

Overall, a B+. It would be nice to see the car from other angles, especially the rear.
    True, the interior shot we saw looks like Zebrano wood rather than Eucalyptus.

Well, the guy I was talking to is from Cadillac's powertrain group...what does he know anyway? ;-)
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    Haven't seen much of you lately. How's the family? The baby must be getting big by now.

Here's a little something for you. Click on drivetime for 1/15.

http://gmtv.feedroom.com

Haven't been around much myself. Too many trolls here.
    i gotta dig out the generated image from a couple months ago of the 'upcoming sts', its was a lot sportier looking than this thing.
    Hi Rich!

Glad to see you too. I've been lurking more than writing around here lately.

Thanks for the gmtv link. I'd forgotten about that site.

The baby is unfortunatly having his first cold, but I figure that's not bad after nearly seven months of life. They do grow fast, especially in my son's case. He's the size of a lot of two year olds. I wonder where he gets it from? :-)
    hey buddy i feel for ya. the 5 month old brought home something from the germ farm this week and she ended up in the hospital for two days.

TLC and proper medical care......you don't appreciate doctors until you have children.
    Well, the cold is the least of our worries. My kid does have a permanent problem...a rare genetic disease called tuberous schlerosis which was diagnosed about 4 months ago. Basically it's the growth of benign tumors in various vital organs including the brain. The disease can be very mild (i.e., you could live with it and never know it), moderate (managable symtoms including seizures) or severe (learning disabilities, unmanageable seizures or mental retardations).

Fortunately after a lot of tests, it seems that my son is tending toward the mild side (only the brain involved for now, and not severely). We probably wouldn't have found out if we hadn't gotten a CT scanof his head after a fall (which he's ok from). Most parents find out about this after their kid has their first seizure. If we can get him though the first year seizure free, then his odds will be good that it won't happen to him. He's also been keeping with his developmental milestones, which is great.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Did you guys notice how thethe front door handles are much lower than the rear door handles?
    They follow the upward sweeping flow of the sheetmetal.
    really sorry to hear of that, does put a big cold to shame. Keep the faith and I hope that the diesease does not progress to the worse condition. take good care of him!
  • stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    In its softening of the 'hard-edged' CTS look, STS strays into G35 territory, with forward-leaning "about to pounce" stance and vertical headlights...

Of course, I am limited by only having seen frontal pics thus far, and realize G35 is much more swept back/ curvaceous overall.

I'd never accuse Cadillac of copy-cat styling, but they do seem to be covering alot of bases with their new STS, at least as revealed by available photos...will withhold judgement until seen in person.
    the picture someone posted in the return of gm trying topic is more attractive than the melted art and science 05 unit.
    ...More of that Sixteen flavor right away would be nice.
    The STS forecast photo in Road & Track a few months ago (post #8381 - GMs Might) sure isn't what is appearing in photos now.

What happened? Is that more bodacious Sixteen-influenced style being saved for the Deville? What gives?
    Let's hope they saves the 16 styling for the DTS!

Question: Will Cadillac rename the Escalade when it gets redesigned? Maybe just ESV.....ugh
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The STS would look much better with the 16's grille, imo.
    Agreed. Guess the photo from R&T (or was it C&D?) from last September was not of a real car. Alas, the Sixteen: it was Best in Show for '03, but where is it now?
  • msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    does anyone know whether or not the 4.6L Northstar for the STS will carry-over "as is" from the current lineup (SRX, etc), or will it have any new features? Have heard the HP is the same (320), but not whether there may be other changes.
    All indications are that it is the same engine that is the XLR et. al.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    The Escalade name is too popular now, they are keeping it.
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    According to Edmunds, the STS will be the last vehicle to get this new styling. I think there will be no "DTS" or any of that.
    That article is not about an upcoming DTS, but a different ultraluxury car that will be placed above the DTS. In the best of possible worlds, Cadillac would just move the DTS upmarket and be done with it. But the current Deville is also has a significant livery business (funeral directors, limousine services) and some rental cars. A DTS that cost 80 grand would be too expensive for Cadillac's traditional business customers, and they would go to Lincoln in droves.
    DTS is staying on its current FWD G-body platform until the end of the decade. It will most likely stay in its current price range. Then it will either be dropped or indirectly replaced with an S-class fighter. A spinoff of the S-class fighter's paltform might be used for the ULS.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    The article said that the models will top out at 300K.

Doesn't GM know that Mercedes and BMW V12's are 100-150K, not 300K???

unless this will be a 1000 hp V-16 I don't understand the over pricing here.
    The top end ULS will compete with Maybach and Rolls, not upper-end Mercs. It will be loosely based on the S-class fighter's platform.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    unless the "ULS" top of the line, is a completely different car. Who would want to get a car that looks the same at 80K as it does at 300K? for that money, people will probably prefer a unique looking, not just driving vehicle.

why not just make them cost 150K like everyone else, I don't get it, and them make ANOTHER car to compete with ROlls, and make THAT one have a v-16.

Isn't that more logical?
    The Rolls fighter will probably be on a heavily modified version of the "XTS". Think S80 to 500 difference.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Saw some glimpses of the STS on a Cadillac ad during the Superbowl tonight. Just a tease, I guess we still have to wait.
    We also saw a little bit more if you know what I mean. ;) JANET! LOL
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Can you believe I looked away to chase my 18 month old? Missed it!

-juice
    I suspect that what Lutz and LaNeve are meaning is that the new ultraluxury car will be a platform that they can take from $80K to $300K, not necessarily a single vehicle. An "entry level" high end sedan could begin with your typical Northstar drivetrain making appropiate power for the class and quickly go up from there. V12 cars could hit 6 figures, and a V16 car could command $250K or more, and might feature longer wheelbase and other distinctive styling to competer against Rolls Royce or Maybach. Cadillac has already said that the V16 engine is currently undergoing testing in some modified Escalades out there. It could see see the light of day in the right car.

Also, there's nothing stopping Cadillac from introducing a large coupe on the same premium platform (like Mercedes CL cars) and although the 7.5L V12 shown in the Cien won't fit in the XLR, a smaller V12 just might. That could push the price of a car like that into 6 figures as well.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Not knocking Cadillac's strategy, but they shouldn't get ahead of themselves. See how the new STS does first, the 100K+ market is as tight as it is tough. Maybach and Rolls territory is so rarified and even they aren't going to sell as many cars as they thought they would.

M
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    Dont worry your little head about the super cadillac, it won't be out for years. Maybe by that time the market will improve. Do you have any insights to offer about what cadillac is doing wrong these days? I'm sure their recent products have let you down, I can only imagine how though.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I take it by the tone of that post you think they've done everything perfect and their comeback is complete right? Right. No need for me to wake you from your dream.

M
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    Has anyone heard any news?
This discussion has been closed.