Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac STS/STS-V: What's New for 2007?

Comments

• exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Thank You for the Pics, here are my 2 cents.

The wheel design is awsome, then...

The interrior... is tastless extravogance. You see this big beefy vertical wood paneling surrounding the Nav system and center controlls, "spill" into the shift handle. It is not done well, at first glance it seems to attack your eyes instead of caress them (as it would in a Jaguar). The wood looks good, but the designer must have been smoking some funny cigaretts.
    The speedometer too, in the CTS and CTSV the speedo is stylish, here, it looks rather bland by comparison. Beybe Cadillac wants this car to cater to older clientelle?

Glad to see more leather all over the place, I hope this car sells like hotcakes but I am not interested.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I like every angle of the CTS but the front. I really do like the CTS grill since it had more slits up in front. I guess I just have to see it in person first.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That front bumper would look better with a front license plate to break up the monotony.

-juice
  • chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    We've been discussing the styling for awhile now. What do you guys think about the equipment? I think it has a very impressive array of technology, yet remains iDrive free. A touch screen nav system pretty much eliminates having too many buttons. It also have a bunch of industry first such as an adjustable screen and automatic high/low beam operation.
    Adjustable screen??? Like tilt or what? I think the feature content is impressive, but I wish (like with many other NAV equipped cars) that the stereo had seperate buttons for presets. 1, 2, 3, etc. instead of having to touch the screen.
    The screen adjust to four different angles to combat sun glare. I don't think any car in the future with a Nav screen will have presets. I can't think of any that do now.
    Cool! My G35's NAV screen tilts too!
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Cadillac Announces Competitive Pricing For 2005 STS

DETROIT - Cadillac today announced that pricing for the all-new 2005 Cadillac STS luxury performance sedan will start at $40,995, including a destination freight charge of $695. The STS will be available in dealerships this fall. Popularly equipped, the V-6 and V-8 models are priced below the segment volume leaders, Mercedes Benz E-Class and the BMW 5-series.

The V-6 model, a 3.6L V-6 VVT engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT), has 255 horsepower and 252 lb-ft. of torque. The V-8 version, featuring a 4.6L Northstar engine with 320 horsepower and 315 lb-ft. of torque, will start at $47,495 (including DFC of $695).

Both models include standard equipment such as a 5-speed automatic with Driver Shift Control, rear-wheel drive, StabiliTrak Stability Enhancement System, a Bose sound system with CD player, leather seating surfaces, Keyless Access with push button start, Adaptive Remote Start, Panic Brake Assist, and much more.

Other optional features available on the V-6 and V-8 models include memory personalization, a Bose 5.1 Studio Surround System with 15 speakers, Magnetic Ride Control suspension system, Adaptive Cruise Control with four-color reconfigureable head-up display, XM Satellite radio, heated and ventilated seats, 18" polished wheels and DVD Navigation. All-wheel drive will also be available on the V-8 model at start of production.

2005 Cadillac STS Highlights:

Two new engines available: next-generation 4.6L Northstar V-8 VVT with 320 horsepower and 3.6L V-6 VVT with 255 horsepower
    RWD and optional AWD available
    Dual Mode Magnetic Ride Control suspension system
    Bose 5.1 Channel Studio Surround Sound System with 15 speakers
    Adaptive Remote Start
    Keyless Access with push button start
    Heated and Ventilated Seats
    Adaptive Cruise Control with four-color reconfigureable head-up display
    DVD Navigation with the industry's largest display screen

Much better than I thought! Should make the STS very competitive.
    V8 + AWD sounds nice.

-juice
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Now if we can just get Cadillac to announce competitive pricing on the SRX.

LOL.
    Do you think you will see a base car on the Lot? Think again
  • tornado25tornado25 Member Posts: 267
    Looks like the pricing is very, very decent for what's standard, like Stabilitrak, basic Bose, etc. I wonder what "adaptive" remote start means, though?

Maybe the car senses outside/interior temp and adjusts climate control automatically? (Most remote starts now are aftermarket and when the car starts, it will simply do whatever it was doing when you turned it off last).

Reconfigurable heads-up sounds intriguing.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    “. .V8 STS also offers a choice of three different final drive ratios . .” - Edmunds

Well now, that is interesting.

Shades of the late 1960s. I wonder what the ratios will be? And what resulting acceleration / highway mileage trade-offs will result. And 3 different EPA ratings?

Hmmm . . .

Very interesting.

- Ray
    Guessing that every car mag will ONLY test the final drive ratio that provides the quickest acceleration . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Here are the axle ratios. V-6: 3.42. V-8: 2.73, 3.23, 3.42. AWD V-8: 3.23 only.

You're right, the remote start will adjust the climate control and heated/cooled seats and activate the defogger or defroster according to the temperature the driver has set.
    Wow, that's a lot of drive ratios! Why are there so many?
    Optionally available high-performance European brake linings (Sport Package)

0-60 mph in less than 6 seconds

Michelin P255/45R18 Pilot Sport (Sport Package) on 8” wide rims

Interesting-er and interesting-er. . .

Ready to test drive one when the AWD V8s appear . . . . . .

- Ray
    Wondering now what the STS-V will be like . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    . . . wondering why Lincoln decided NOT to take a similar path with their LS. . .
    - Ray
    '03 LS driver . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Well, the LS is outdated and we're still waiting for the upcoming Lincolns with the new theme. The Continental concept looks promising though.
    It'll be interesting how everything will be packaged. Cadillac now has chose to use option packages as opposed to an array of individual options. So I would assume that the high end features will add 10 to 15 thousand dollars to the base stickers. Still, with a 530i costing over $50k without a navigation system, I don't think Caddy has too much to worry about. One would wonder how much a 15 speaker sound system would cost.
    I think we will see plenty of base cars on the lot.
    Cadillac has learned a very expensive lesson with the launch of the V8 only SRX's much in the same way Chrysler got burned with the loaded Pacificas.
    The SRX is only selling becase the V6 version is now available and quite a few of those are base cars at $38,690.
    Just like mine. (the SRX is 2K overpriced IMHO).
    It is not hard to find base auto CTS's with only the 3.6L.
    I think Cadillac will build quite a few base STS and very few 66K V8s.
    Just like they build almost no 55K SRXs and 45K CTSs.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I think the Cadillac dealers HAVE learned their lesson about stocking loaded cars. In the process, they're sending a powerful message to Cadillac. I've been researching the availability of SRXs in AZ and found that many RWD V8s are available with almost no options, with MSRPs below $50,000. This is a very smart strategy by the dealers. Most cars in this price range would be expected to have sunroofs, for example, but most of the SRXs in stock don't have one, presumably because of the $1800 price tag. Some of the other options rarely available in stocked vehicles include the Bose audio system. At $1100, it's no bargain, either. (On the other hand, all of the cars at our local dealer had close to $1000 worth of dealer add-ons--sealants and other useless crap. Now there's a real high markup accessory for the dealer.)
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    yep, agree that many will go the "low" route just to get the wreath and crest; however, sometimes I think that Acura has it figured out best: give us almost everything in one package at the lowest possible price. They do that and offer only NAV as an option. Maybe that is too austere; however, few people REALLY pore over the options page, even though they probably should!
    I am definitely in the market for a new car next year and will consider the STS, M45, GS430, RL and maybe the Audi A6, as new models, plus the E class. I currently own a BMW E39/528 and will NOT consider the E60 (IMHO, one of the ugliest new cars in decades).
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    You are right about the current five being one of the ugliest cars on the road. The STS looks better than the 5, '05 A6 and '06 GS in my opinion. I still like the current E500, but the STS is definitely hot. All the cars in the class are basically offering the same performance and technology, it all comes down to styling preference and price. On those two fronts I think the STS will shine. Granted a fully loaded STS will be steep, but we have to remember than you will be able to get a V8 model with a few options for the price of a loaded 530i that is about 1 second slower to 60 and much smaller and uglier.

Lexus needed to get the GS out before early 2005, the current GS isnt going to stand a chance against this new competition.
    Check out NY show pics, that's the new GS.

There's a new RL also.

I think BMW has a firm grip on ugliest in class with Bangle's 5.

-juice
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    To someone in the know. . . .

Is this line of thinking reasonable?:

STS V8 "base" ~ $48,000

AWD option ~ $1,900

Then would other options be priced about the same as the options on the SRX? Meaning that you could add Magnetic Ride Control for $1,650 and a sound system infotainment upgrade for $1,525 and sat nav for ? $2,100 and another $1,000 for heated/ventilated seats and perhaps some other comfort/sport option and a final $1,000 for a wheel upgrade-- making the MSRP just north of $57K?

What features and options push the MSRP to $66K?

Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Give it up for our new "reply" button next to the messages <insert applause>. This should make it easier to refer to another member's message.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Yep it works. :)
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    News about the STS-V, it may end up getting a LS2 (Vette) with 500 HP.
    I hope not. I has hoping the Northstar would be enlarged to 5.0L and maybe they'd supercharged. BTW, what will the new Z06 (LS6) engine be called??
    Should move away from those pushrods. The LS Gen III engines are very advanced, do not get me wrong on technology, but Pushrods are not thought of highly in the market place.
    If they insist on an LS engine for STS V, they should go for the New generation 6.0 Liter LS6, upcoming Z06 Engine.
    However a Supercharged 5.0 Liter Northstar would be the way to go
    Since there have been zero road tests on the STS I am curious to see if the STS has the superwide sills that my SRX has.
    it makes getting in and out of the car kind of difficult and I am 6'8"!
    You should see my 5'2" female friends slide int and out of it, dirtying up their pants in the process.
    Plus my rockers are already scratched up.
    Hope the sills are narrower on the STS.
    Why has no one posted the prices yet? They're up on GMI...so I'll try and post it later.
    Where are the prices -- URL please.
    Will have supercharged Northstar, not LS6.
    430 hp.
    V-6 starts under $41k and V-8 under $47.5k. Autoweek has the info as well as media.gm.com and many other sites.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=02840920
    While the base prices are certainly interesting, I am also VERY interested to see exactly how options / packages are priced. And whether certain desirable options are only available as part of a package, not 'stand alone'.

We'll see.
    - Ray
    Still interested and intrigued . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Yea, me too. It would seem that AWD -- if it is standalone -- should be $1,900 and the SRX individual option prices (which are listed on cadillac.com) "ought" to be similar -- but if Cadillac bundles $5,000 worth of "stuff" and all you really wanted was a V8 AWD and 18" wheels -- well that would tend to sour me.

On the other hand, if a package is less than the individual components of the package and both cherry picked and packaged versions were offered, well that would be the best of both worlds.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Any chance of a manual tranny?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Thanks for posting the link to the ordering info.!

Observations and comments - in random order

JL9 Brakes, 16&#148; &#150; huh?
    JE5 Brakes, 17&#148;, performance &#150; double huh??
    First &#150; 16 / 17&#148; what? 12 or 13&#148; diameter disks are pretty large . . .
    Performance = referring to the front pads?

Q11 / Q12 Rear tires 20 mm wider than fronts . . .??

NR7 Steering wheel, leather-wrapped, HEATED! &#150; Mark . . .
    or
    N31 Steering wheel, leather-wrapped with wood accents, HEATED, wood

G80 Limited slip differential &#150; available in addition to some sort of electronic traction control?? And StabiliTrak. 1 (or 2, or 3 for the AWD version) diffs? And will it (they) be Torsen? Or some other? Fascinating.

NV7 Premium Steering Gear, ZF &#150; available only with the 1SC (V6) or 1SG (V8)
    Very interested to know exactly what that means, also.

FE3 Magnetic Ride Control &#150; Only of 1SF and 1SG (V8)

KB6 Seats, heated/ventilated, front &#150; Got some now &#150; LOVE &#145;em!!

(RPO TBD) Performance Handling Package &#150; 18&#148; Michelin Pilot Sport Tires and performance front brake pads and linings. Only available with 1SG (V8). And what the heck does &#147;and linings&#148; mean? Have they included brake drums on the front as well???????????

UV6 Heads-Up Display &#150; had one on a previous car, and enjoyed it a lot. Particularly with a display of &#145;selected gear&#146; projected on the windshield (instead of only on the dash, where I have lived with it on my current and 2 previous cars with man-u-matic trans.) would be much appreciated.

All very interesting indeed.

R6W STS Demo Program &#150; where do I sign?
    - Ray
    Still very interested . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I've seen that in some JDM literature. When they say 17" brakes, they mean the largest caliper and rotor that'll fit inside a 17" rim.

Pretty vague, I know.

"and linings"...dunno, got me. Usually that refers to the pads, but they say "and" as if it's something else.

-juice
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    The wide sills are a huge design flaw! Good thing it doesn't have side pipes ala Viper! Would be alot of leg burns out there.

Frankly, it astounds me that such a flaw got to production. Someone asleep at the wheel in an otherwise desireable vehicle...
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    new STS in Autospies autoshow pics. The body looks good, a stretched tapered and smoothed over CTS. The interior though was disappointing IMHO.
    I would say it looked better than I imagined. Simple and elegant.
    Its amazing how many Asian Journalists or enthusiasts you see around the car.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    Went to the NY auto show and the Caddy rep said the STS will hit dealerships in August. Fully loaded it will hit about $62K which is cheaper than an overpriced E500 or 545i. He said the V6 AWD wont be available for a while. 0-60 on the V8 RWD should be 5.8secs according to him. He also said the 18" wheels you see in the pics wont make it too production. He some people have said they looks to "street", whatever that means. He said there will be a more elegant design on the production cars. All of the Caddy's were getting a lot of attention, especially the CTS-V (which you could sit in) and the ESV Platinum. For whatever reason Lexus and Audi had a lot of their cars locked.
    Just read the Autoweek review, though it's not really new any more. They seem to like it. They found the interior a big step up from the CTS, which is encouraging.

I've only seen photos of the inside up to now.

-juice
    In conversation today with &#147;my&#148; ? Cadillac Personal Assistant, when I asked about the date for Job 1, he said start of production was scheduled for early June.

Can anyone confirm (or deny) this information from any other source?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Hoping to sign up soon for RPO R6W - STS Demo Program . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    job 1 car??? I thought the first runs of cars were more for journalists and magazine testing. That is what they are doing with the 2005 Vette coming out of Bowling Green.

Give em a few chances to make sure they got it right. :)

-Paul
This discussion has been closed.