Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    AGain, everyone loves the 6MT but dealers simply either cannot order them or Acura limits production to 9%. Which is it? BTW if buying an Automatic TSX save yourself a lot of money and get an accord EX-L auto. I have never seen a manual transmission so completely transform a car.

On Accord 6MT. Drove and nice but high clutch engagement, still ugly front end but a nice and fast car.
  • notjafonotjafo Member Posts: 63
    Just knowing the state would help - even Rhode Island has 3 dealers (I think), and it's hard to take a test drive from one without going past another (ok, ok, an exageration). So unless there's only 1 dealer in Wyoming, and that's where you are, knowing the state puts the price in perspective w/ other posts
  • rooskierooskie Member Posts: 26
    My wife and I drove both the TL and TSX, and drove away with a TSX. Far more fun to toss around and a much sportier feel. And you can't get a TL in Milano Red!. But the real reason is that there were 2 other couples at the dealer looking at TL's and they were both about 20 years older than us. Maybe next time around!
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I drove the TSX as well, before I bought a TL. I liked the TSX and its price, but the TL's overall package grabbed me. Awesome acceleration for a near-luxury car. If I was to buy a 4cyl for $25K+ it would be turbocharged.

I may be middle aged but I feel like a kid when leavin' a TSX in the dust.
    I guess that's the difference - I don't have to drive a certain type of car to feel like a kid - I am one! (At least if under 30 can still be called a kid)!
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    I am having a hell of a time deciding which car to buy. I am narrowed down to four models and I have listed my pros and cons as well as the price I expect to pay for each one below. I am the type of person who buys exactly what I want initially, but then I keep the car 8-10 years. As I buy a new car I will be getting rid of a 1995 Civic EX that has been outstanding. I was in college when I bought the Civic, so I plan to buy a little more upscale car this time.

Acura TSX ($26500) pros=drive, fit&finish, decent value cons=interior space, V4

Acura TL ($30500) pros=interior and exterior styling, power cons=price, has a cassette player (I don't know why this bothers me so much)

Hond Accord V6 EX ($25,000) pros= interior ergonomics, excellent value for price cons=handling compared to Acuras, very bland exterior, no bluetooth option

2007 Camry V6 LXE ($26000) pros/cons= don't know, haven't seen or driven this one yet.

Anyone have comments or advice that may help me make my decision?

Thanks
  • thusrtonpthusrtonp Member Posts: 23
    I have been looking at the TSX, TL, and about 6 other cars too. I'm 30-ish with a wife and 1 small child, and the TSX size would be fine ( I have an SUV as a company car, so plenty of room when needed). I have driven both Acuras, and frankly dont have an issue if the TL can do 0-60 1.2 seconds faster tahn the TSX - I don't plan to drive my new car in a manner that will "leave others in the dust", thank you. Might as well get a Dodge Viper.

I've looked at the Accord V-6, too, but everyone and their neighbor seems to have one -which speaks well for the car, but with so many good cars to choose from these days, why chose the same one as everyone else?

I was dissapointed in the October Car and Driver that placed the TL in 4th place out of 5 - calling it " The staff car of real-estate agents" and "Hustling real estate never offered such exquisite compensations", while otherwise not finding much fault with the car at all except torque steer which has always plagued the TL, but generally liked everything else, but still came 4th place. Hmmm.

Another C&D review last month placed the TSX in 3rd place out of 5 -it lost out to an Accord EX V6 and a Jetta (CD does seem to have a German bias). However, the only complaint seemed around HP, which everyone seems preoccupied with these days. Other than that the comments were " It's rare for anyone to emerge from a drive in the TSX spouting anything but superlatives....excerpts from the logbook of our '06 test car: "Such a treat to drive this car after herding some of the others around the course. So much more certainty, so much more precision." "This is a case of all the parts working together—quick responses, crisp steering, excellent brakes, minimal body roll, and it's all so easy." "Just brimming with confidence. Even on a long, dull interstate, you can feel the athletic tension of the chassis, all ready to burn up some twisties. Bravo!"
    The biggest complaint was needing 20-30 more HP and stickier rubber.

However, I do prize driving excitement (athletic handling, sporty feel, nimble cornering and parking, etc.) over cushy ride and raw HP, and think the TSX has more than adequate power (the TSX is no Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla).

So if I can get ito a TSX for 5K less than a TL, get better MPG, and give up some room that I don't need and HP that I don't care about, then why not? It's the smart decision - for me.
  • ckigginsckiggins Member Posts: 68
    Wow, thanks for your post and the excerpts from C&D. Now I just need to get behind the wheel of one. My RSX's days are hopefully numbered!
  • ixenvyxuixenvyxu Member Posts: 1
    im tryin to get a 06tsx and i was wondering if i can get a copy of the writing you got in the form of email?
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    I have a very similar situation. We have an SUV as our other car. Early 30's with one small child and I have another on the way. I thought I wanted a TSX for sure until I test drove it. I loved the performance and handling, but space was the issue.

The front seats just don't feel as spacious as the TL or Accord, it actually feels more like my current Civic size wise. The back seats were tight as well. I tried putting a car seat in the back and it fit okay, but I don't think two adults could ride comfortably.

After test driving the TL, the main issue is price. The TL was a little nicer than the TSX in every way and much more spacious. The main problem with the TL is that I just don't think it is worth $5K more than the TSX or $6K more than a loaded Accord. If the TL could be had for around $28K I would be all over it. I may end up paying the extra and getting the ATL anyways, I am afraid if I buy the TSX I may always be thinking it was a little too small.
  • hokiebirdhokiebird Member Posts: 4
    New here but wanted to know if $27,986 +T&T is a fair price on the 06 TSX w/Navi? The dealership is Pohanka in NoVa. Any advice is much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know the invoice for tsx w/navi?
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What ever happened to the gentleman who stated that he could get a new 2006 TSX for $650 UNDER invoice?
  • kozman2kozman2 Member Posts: 11
    Don't worry, I'm still here. I spoke with the dealer this morning and we are having a very difficult time finding the color I want with the 6-speed. We can find cars that match my want, but I don't want to buy a new car with 500 miles already on it. It's not good for the car to be driven 500 miles on the highway at a constant speed. Not good for break-in. I may actually have to settle for the automatic. I told him I want the Royal Blue Pearl w/ the Parchment interior. He says he can have it Monday/Tuesday and it's only approximately 30 miles away from his dealership. Same deal. By the way, I went to Lindsay Acura in Columbus, OH and advised them of my situation with the other dealer. I advised them of the price and showed them the price sheet. I told him I would be willing to pay a few hundred more just so I wouldn't have to drive two hours to pick up the car that has the dealer pricing error. The dealer looked at the price sheet and snickered. He said I should go buy that car immediately, since the TSX is "hot" now, the best price he would do is 26,9. I already have placed a 500 deposit down on the 25.3 deal on Friday. I'll post the purchase sheet after I close on the vehicle. Gentlemen, this price was an ERROR on part of the dealer, that's all. The Lindsay Acura dealer told me that "you know, this guy is eating cash on that deal, don't you?" I said "I don't know anything about that, I just know it's the price he is going to sell me the car at. I'll get back after I pick up the vehicel.
  • notjafonotjafo Member Posts: 63
    I don't think he's eating cash, but he's not earning dinner either. With the 3% holdback he is about even compared to not selling it at all.
    dvrice - I am of the opinion that the '06 Accord EX-L V6 will cannabilize sales of the TL and possbilty the TSX. From everything I have read, it is the most refined Accord ever, and only lacks minimal features vs. the TL - the TL is no way worth $5-6k more. I view the TSX as a personal sports car for those who need 4 doors, the TL and Accord are more family oriented due to their larger size and for those who want a more "cushy" driving experience. But if I had a couple if kids, I'd be looking at the Accord EX V6 over the TL from a pure "value" perspective.

That being said, I LOVE my TSX. The TL is great, but lacks a sporty element to the driving and handling experience, IMO. It's more than just horespower or acceleration. The TL leaves you more isolated from the road. As someone said above, it is the perfect car for a real estate agent. And it appeals to an older demographic, which is fine by me, it's just not me.
    ixenvyxu - go to "www.caranddriver.com" and click on buyers guide, then go down to road tests and comparisons. I did the same thing after I read thurstonp's post. Good reading and I thought very fair re: the TL, TSX and Accord, as I've driven all three '06 models myself.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Compare to a couple of MD dealers to see if that's a good deal. You can find all the pricing info right here on Edmunds.
    Thanks kozman for keeping us updated. That's a great price if you can finalize it. Do you have a trade-in?
    No, no trade-in thank God. I sold my wife's 01' Lexus ES300 to the first buyer that came to look at it. I don't know why my wife wants a new car because I thought that 01 ES300 was one of the best car's ever made. I hope this TSX doesn't let me down, reliability wise that is, my wife just wanted something a little sportier. Now you have me rethinking selling that Lexus. That car was PERFECT! Damn woman!
    FYI, Just closed the deal. Royal Blue Pearl/Parch interior with an automatic unfortunately but it's my wife's car, she won't care. 25360.00 + 100 Doc Fee. 19.50 title/license and 1853 tax.
  • haizmanhaizman Member Posts: 19
    I'm in north county San Diego and have seen some hints about a $900 dealer kickback offer in California in this thread. Can anyone confirm this or is it just speculation? If so, could I mention it to dealers when negotiating a deal? I'll be buying an 06 TSX w/nav soon and would like to know this. Any advice would be great!

Also, do most Acura dealerships give loaner cars when your car is in the shop? I know that Infinity offers it to their customers, I was wondering if I may only get that perk from the dealer I purchase the car from. Thanks!!
  • rrekruciakrrekruciak Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am looking at that color combination. How does it look? Did you get a spoiler? Is it hard to keep clean in or outside? Thanks! Ron ;)
  • beeznerbeezner Member Posts: 1
    Okay now it's my turn to buy a TSX. Can anyone suggest a Acura dealership in the Portland, OR area? Also, how much over invoice have people been paying in the Seattle, Tacoma, Portland and Salem areas for a TSX? Thanks for the help.
    Bumping this one back up. Can anyone help? Going to the dealer this Saturday.

From the rest of the board it appears the going rate is $28,200-$28,600, but not sure if STL-area dealers are doing this too.
  • mchungmchung Member Posts: 3
    I brought a 2006 TSX with Navigation, gray on ebony, 6-speed today at Sunnyvale Acura. It cost me $27900 before tax. $30 above invoice, and the sale person is decent. I contacted this dealer via email, the internet manager call me immediately, told me the car I want (one without navigation) is not available but he just received a bunch of cars for the President day weekend where there is ONE manual in the color I want available. I didn't even bargain because the price he gave me is already very good. I went there the next day and within 1 hour, I got my new car! Wheel locks included. Shopping for clothes takes longer, I must say, so I am very satisfied with this dealership.

A side note, Acura seems to be short of manual cars, so if you will not compromise with a auto (like me), be prepared to pay more than an auto!
    Wow that's a great deal. That was his opening offer?
    If the opening price was only $30 over invoice, then maybe there really is a 3% ($900) holdback going on in California. I plan to buy down here in San Diego soon, but the Internet quotes I've received so far are $600 and $1200 over invoice. I'm not against buying up North if it means saving over $600!

Does anyone else have a similar experience?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Holdback isn't a secret... here is all you need to know.

Holdback

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Is an Acura dealer giving up holdback a new phenomenon? I rarely have seen it. They must REALLY want to make volume sales.
  • inkyofokinkyofok Member Posts: 62
    Finalized my deal today. Traded a 04 TSX 6m for 06 TSX 6m
    New $26,651 delivered with Tint, Splash guards
    Less$20,150 trade with 22k miles

Diff $6,501. For the features and a new car. OK, I bought the 04 in Nov with 17k miles for $20,500 private party.

Could have sold 04 but 6m is a small audience, dealer now at least has one to sell as mine was ordered long ago.

I forsee 04 prices getting lower soon due to lease returns as the end value is about $17500 on most 36 month leases.

Initially lease end should buy and resell but as a lot come back eventually price will come down.

NADA trade for my 04 was $21700. That seems high for a car that could have been bought new in 04 for $25,000 as those deals did happen then.
  • toscitosci Member Posts: 18
    Three weeks ago I bought a 2006 TSX w/ navi in Calabasas for $27,590 + TTL, almost $300 under invoice. Acura of Santa Monica was quoting an even lower price but they didn't have the car that I wanted.

If you are not getting any deals in San Diego, I suggest you come up here to the Los Angeles area.
    Yup, $27900 is the open offer.
    $27,590 !? that's extremely good deal! Is it a auto or manual?
    Wow, looks like I need to change my opening offer tomorrow to be UNDER invoice. I hope I'm not laughed out of the stealership.
    Santa Monica offered me $27,990 as an opening price for 06 w/ Nav.

I'll gladly drive a few hours to get that pricing. I just hope they don't pull some crap on me when I get there.
  • hokiebirdhokiebird Member Posts: 4
    I just bought the 06 TSX w/Navi on V-Day and paid 27,750 +T&T here in Va. I'm pretty sure that is right at invoice give or take a couple bucks.
  • racer63racer63 Member Posts: 83
    Deal done Thursday 2/16; picked up car yesterday. New leftover '05 6 speed no nav, Milano Red over Parchment. $25,000+TTL. Northern NJ. $2800 off sticker, which is well below invoice and a good bit into holdback.
  • chuchutrain621chuchutrain621 Member Posts: 6
    just bought the Tsx today for $25,600 + fees. This is without navigation. I live in the Los Angeles area
  • chuchutrain621chuchutrain621 Member Posts: 6
    i know this isn't part of the forum but i don't know where to post it. but on the tsx for the alarm system. is the 30 second re-lock a standard feature?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Try here:

Acura TSX

But, as a general rule, all remote car entries work this way, whether equipped with an alarm or not.. If you unlock the doors with the remote, and no door is opened, it assumes that the button was pressed in error.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dianka555dianka555 Member Posts: 14
    Hi, would you be able to post your monthly payment??
    I'm trying to figure out if the price quoted to me w/ monthly payment is correct.
  • toscitosci Member Posts: 18
    We got an automatic.
  • zeeteazeetea Member Posts: 5
    I have a queasy feeling that I paid too much for my 2006 TSX (AT w/navi). :sick:

I bought my new arctic blue TSX at Acura of Bellevue in Bellevue, WA on 2/20/06. I used a warehouse membership buying service and was given the "special discount price" by the salesman who swore it was a great deal. (Apparently dealers in the Seattle area don't negotiate much on TSX's?, or am I just super naive?) The base price of the vehicle before dealer installed options was about $400 less than the Edmunds TMV, just shy of $29K. The total price for the car, including destination charges and a couple of dealer installed options ("Pro package" which includes mudguards and a trunk liner tray, plus the metallic trimmed steering wheel, which was ridiculously expensive but I thought looked/felt really cool) was $30,561 -- about $420 more than the total Edmunds TMV for the car and just a hair over the MSRP which doesn't include any dealer installed options. I was relatively satisfied with base price of the vehicle but I'm quite sure I overpaid for the options (stupid me, I didn't negotiate them, just paid the going "installed" rate! Why, why, why???? Arggh. Let me be the poster child for what not to do when dealer options shopping!).

Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. I love my new car and the overall buying experience was relatively painless (a very low pressure sales/finance experience). Maybe I could've saved a few hundred bucks, which in the total scheme of things works out to what, like $7 or $8 a month. Maybe this post will make most of you shoppers feel like you got a great deal.

C'est la vie, I'm happy because I got a fantastic car that I know I'll love driving for the next 7 or 8 years.

:)
    Congratulations on your new TSX and welcome to Edmunds. You have a great car there. It is on my short list along with the Toyota Camry and possibly the Lexus ES330/ES350. Please keep us advised from time-to-time on how the TSX is doing with mpg, troubles, etc. I only thing that I disliked about the TSX when I drove it was the harsh ride. It had plenty of power even with the auto trans that I drove. It does not ride as comfortably as a Camry.
    What other vehicles were you considering?
  • proffyproffy Member Posts: 46
    In general, imports are more expensive in the pacific northwest. This includes hondas, toyotas, etc... The northwest is a hotbed for young, well paid workers due to MS, amazon, etc... Also, the total population is relatively small, and thus there is very little competition among dealers.

Your price is pretty typical for the northwest, but it's about $1,000 over the national average. Personaly, I plan to buy out of state this year and drive the car back to the eastside.
    Hi -- The only car I seriously considered vs. the TSX was the Honda Accord EX. I test drove both the Accord 4cyl and V6. Both Accords were nice, well-appointed and comfy rides, and for a while I was tempted to just go for the 4cyl Accord, which could've saved me about $4K from the TSX (even the lower-hp 4cyl Accord was a surprisingly peppy ride and a big step up, power-wise, from my 2000 Accord). However, I couldn't get excited about the Accord no matter how I tried (to the salesman's tremendous exasperation!). Bottom line, I thought the TSX looked a lot better and handled better than the Accord, and I felt the TSX was a lot more fun to drive; I also liked the extra functionality on the TSX (especially the sportshift on the AT and the Bluetooth, which are not available on the Accord, plus the great Acura Care roadside service) for a nominal price difference vs. the Accord V6. Also, since I have been driving an Accord for the past 6 years, I think I was ready to move on to a somewhat different car (though I was very fond of my Accord, which was a very reliable and enjoyable car for the money I'd spent on it. I know that the TSX is the "European Accord" but it's just got a better, more lively feel than the American Accord, to the point that they really don't feel like related cars).

The reason I didn't test drive any other cars was because I didn't want to spend more than $30K for a vehicle. With the $30K limit I didn't even consider the Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW 3 series, since to get those vehicles similarly equipped to the TSX I knew I'd be spending mid to high $30's. I did also test drive the Nissan Maxima but thought it was much lacking vs. the Accord, especially considering price and features. I know the 07 Camry is getting a lot of positive press but I figured the demand will be very high initially and it's likely the dealers will be able to charge a premium price at least through the rest of the year ... so I decided not to wait to test drive that vehicle. Good look on your search! Even though I have some regrets regarding my poor price negotiation skills, I don't have any regrets about buying the TSX itself.
    Hi -- When I saw the going prices for the TSX in CA on this chat, I was briefly tempted to go out of state to buy my TSX too and just drive it home! Not a bad idea at all! But since I had a trade-in (my 2000 Accord) I figure it would've taken me several days to drive down to CA and back to the Seattle area, and with the time/cost of that trip the bottom line savings didn't seem worth it. Now if I had combined the buying trip with a pleasure trip (e.g., driving the new TSX up the CA and Oregon coastline) that would be a pretty fun way to spend some time! Maybe next time I buy I'll do that! :shades:
  • dianka555dianka555 Member Posts: 14
    Well... after a long time searching for that perfect car for myself, I decided that TSX was the perfect car for me.
    I went to couple of dealerships around PA area and the best quote that I got was 26K for a 5 speed auto TSX w/ Nav. I know it's a good price, but I'm thinking if it's even worth to try to squeeze out a free tint from them, or are they just going to laugh at me...Your oppinions will be appreciated.
  • dfusnikdfusnik Member Posts: 10
    26k for an auto w/nav sounds like a great deal! I'm going to be in the market for a TSX soon myself here in the Cleveland area. Are you able to go into more detail regarding your price quote? I'm trying to do some research on this forum so I can be as informed as possible when I go to the dealer. I'm trying to gather pricing examples that I can take with me and use as a bargaining tool with the salesman.
  • tsxfaninpatsxfaninpa Member Posts: 5
    What dealers in PA are you working with? I'm in the Philadelphia area and have been working with Montgomeryville Acura. When I started dealing with the Internet Manager back in January, they quoted me $26,600, Auto w/o NAV. They had hardly any stock and wanted me to order one (Royal Blue Pearl w/ Parchment). I told them they were at least $1000 too high and I would wait. Now, the salesman calls me 4 times a week and says I can have any color combination I want. I visited the dealership last Sunday (car dealers are closed on Sundays in PA) and saw that they have about 20-25 TSX's in stock. I will show my face this weekend as the month comes to a close, but I want my price, the protection package, pinstriping and the cassette deck (I know)or I go elsewhere. I'll keep you posted, but let me know what dealer and where in the state you are located. :)