Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    By "markup" I mean the difference between dealer invoice and MSRP. The TSX invoice (shown both on edmunds and autosite) is $24,147. MSRP is $26,490.

26490 / 24147 = 9.7% "markup"

For comparison:
    Subaru LLBean wagon: MSRP/invoice=10.5%
    Volvo V70: MSRP/invoice=6.4%
    Toyota Camry LE: MSRP/invoice=11.7%
    Ford Focus SE wagon: MSRP/invoice=7%

However, dealer holdbacks and other factory-to-dealer incentives may decrease the actual "dealer cost" of the vehicle, increasing the dealer's overall profit margin.

Back to the TSX, if you are willing to pay full MSRP, you're actually netting the dealer a 12.7% profit (9.7% + 3.0% holdback)!

In negotiations regarding the TSX with some Acura dealers, I believe they'd like to make a minimum 10% total profit while the car is selling well, which means they'll likely let you walk out the door if you offer less than $800 under MSRP.
  • aaaaaqaaaaaq Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the info...closed the deal today: Auto, no nav, sedan CG/Eb

25,825 including wheellocks and mud guards
  • bbaldwin1bbaldwin1 Member Posts: 10
    Here in Austin, TX, a salesman at the only Acura dealer in town told me there were no deals to be had - expect to pay MSRP due to limited supply relative to demand. I wasn't exactly sitting down to negotiate, I was just test driving (manual, no nav), and putting out feelers for what I should expect to pay.

I'm still deciding between a few cars, but if I really have to pay MSRP for the TSX, I'll definitely be going with something else. I'll see what kinds of deals I can get in San Antonio or Houston first.
    Sounds like a good price! Was that including or excluding the $500 destination charge?

What part of the country do you live in?
  • djdezdjdez Member Posts: 110
    why does KBB (Kelly Blue Book) show the invoice price of the TSX as being $22956.86 + $500.00 (destination) for a total invoice of $23456.86 ???
  • samirrathodsamirrathod Member Posts: 16
    I called the dealer in Austin. They tried to give me the no deals approach, but after some work they offered to take $1000 off of MSRP, which is what Gunn in San Antonio is offering. You could just go to Gunn. It's only an hour and there is no haggling.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Beep-beep-beep! The moving truck is here to take this discussion to our new What Did You Pay? board.

If you have subscribed to this discussion, the move should not interfere with your subscriptions.

Sorry for any confusion or inconvenience! Any questions can be emailed to me.

Thanks!
    Last night, I just completed a very trouble-free deal with one of the internet salesmen at Stevens Creek Acura (Santa Clara, CA) for an Arctic Blue AT (no NAV). The car was a "demo" with 1900 miles on it.

I got a pretty good deal on it: $25,250 (incl. dest, cargo tray, mud guards, and wheel locks).

I originally had done my negotiations based on the price (without dest), but after I sat down with the financing lady, I noticed that the destination charge was included in the vehicle price (as it was not a separate line-item on the purchase contract). So, I got an even better deal than I thought! Woohoo!

I think I got such a good price because:
    A) it was a "demo" car
    B) it was near month's end
    C) it was 8:30pm, the dealership had had a very busy day, and the general sales manager was tired, and, according to my salesman, he said "OK, sell him the car already. I want to go home." :)
  • kcj3kcj3 Member Posts: 1
    To: aaaaaaq

Could you post the name of the Dealer you bought from with City and State? Would appreciate.
  • sdradioguysdradioguy Member Posts: 101
    I'm about 3-4 weeks from getting a TSX. The 325i had been the front-runner, until I drove a TSX this past Thursday. I fell in love with its shifter/clutch, and the much lower price tag. It does have a different (not better, yet not necessarily worse) feel than a BMW, but after driving a Civic for several years, I'm accustomed to the way Honda front-drivers typically handle. I'm also very accustomed to Honda reliability. And while I'm sure the BMW could be just as trouble-free, I'm not willing to take my chances right now. All reliability issues being equal, I know I'll spend quite a bit less on long-term maintenance with the Acura.

I've tried to drive a 5sp. Accord sedan, just to see if I'm really justified in spending the extra few grand on the TSX. My impression from just sitting in the Accord (I can't find a manual one in SD) is that I'd be happier in the Acura.

I'm going to start shopping around for price. If there's anyone out there in SD, Orange, or Riverside counties who've recently bought a TSX, and would care to share their experiences on what they paid, and which dealers to check out and which to avoid, I'm listening.

By the way, I'm looking for a 6sp., without NAV -- silver/ebony or blue/ebony.
    Has anyone else had much luck finding decent quotes by playing e-mail tag with the "internet" or "fleet" managers of these dealerships?

One gave me a quote of about $200 off MSRP, including mud flaps, trunk mat, and wheel locks. Another one quoted me around the same price, with an extra discount if I show up in person to prove I live in Southern California (?). A third dealer refused to budge at all off MSRP, and tacked on an extra $350 for accesories, unless I came in to deal in person.

I asked the last dealer what was the point of having someone handling internet quotes, if they refused to actually make a deal with people that way. I mean, that's the whole point of using the internet -- I've already driven the car, I know what it looks like. Now that I'm basically ready to buy, all I want are good quotes. I don't feel like anyone out there is really being straight with me.

I guess the reluctance to make any sort of final deal online has to do with the dealers' desire to get people into the showroom where they can play on their own turf.
  • geoinsdcageoinsdca Member Posts: 9
    sdradioguy - i bought my silver TSX/Nav/Auto for $26k from Norm Reeves Acura. The staff is great, although I have been very unhappy with the car. At least I have a lease, so no too worried about resale value.
    26K with NAV!!! That's below invoice! Is that right?

Why are you unhappy with the car? I know the audio system sucks. I'm looking to buy and if the dealer won't do anything about the rattle I keep hearing about I'll dynamat it. Also plan to replace the speakers.

Hopefully I won't have the seat problem.
  • geoinsdcageoinsdca Member Posts: 9
    Yeh, it is below invoice. This one had been sitting on their lot for a few weeks.

I really dislike the car for several reasons (btw I had a TL I traded in for the TSX)

The stereo really is a problem. The distortion and over-stated muddy bass is really bad. Acura should have stayed with Bose in my opinion.

The NAV is great (as was the TL) but the large 8" screen image is fuzzy and appears to be stretched in some way. Also the voice rec does not work well I hope a future DVD disc upgrade can improve this.(?)

The auto tran shifts way too soon, and jumps between gears (esp 4-5) on the freeway. The sport-shift is great, and I use it most of the time.

I have also had the rattle in the sunroof, and as stated the speakers in the doors as well.

And, no matter what other posters say, the rear window does shake and rumble constantly (its not the rear-view mirror).

At 1,500 miles I wish I waited for the '04 TL.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    How did you like your TL? Any problems? Did you consider getting another 2003 TL?
    I've also got a rattle in the sunroof. When the sunroof cover is open, the "rattle" is very noticeable. However, when the sunroof itself is partially retracted or tilted up, the rattle goes away.

I actually don't think it's a rattle. I think it's the sound of the rubber gasket rubbing/sticking to the painted metal opening in the roof. I intend to ask my Acura dealer how to remedy this problem (which could be as easy as wiping some kind of rubber conditioner on the gasket).

(For reference, my TSX has over 2000 miles on it- I bought it as a demo vehicle.)
  • combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    Since you leased your vehicle, does the statement "got it for below invoice" really apply in your situation?
  • damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    When I purchased my Camry, the salesmen said I could get an additional $2000 off (that made it below invoice) if I did a 5 year lease. When I worked the numbers using the present value of money formulas, I would have actually paid more. Unless you work the numbers, the "price paid" when leasing doesn't mean a thing.
  • combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    if geoinsdca did in fact get the TSX for below invoice, then he's got the best deal I've ever heard of and must be the best negotiator in the country (send him to the Middle East.. he'll have that situation squared away in no time!)
    How did you deal with the people at Norm Reeves? Was it all in person, or were you able to do anything online or over the phone?
    Anyone know what the average # of days is between the final build date and the day it will show up at the dealer? I have ordered a TSX that was built on 7/28. The dealer just got a VIN # on Monday and they say the car does exist... it's probably on a boat right now. Anyone know approx. how much longer I'll have to wait?
  • parker19parker19 Member Posts: 59
    The post who says he got his TSX w/nav for $26000 can't be telling the whole story. Period. And that's the problem with some people on this board. They make claims like that and then other people use that information as a gauge for what they should go for. I don't care how long that car has sat on the lot. Most people can't even get the car without navigation for $26000. But if you don't like it, sell it. You could easily get 26k for it, probably 27.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Most of the prices claiming to be below MSRP are not correct. TSXs are still selling very well at MSRP; the latent demand has not been satisfied.

However, I think you will see a price drop when the new TLs arrive. However, even that price drop will not be that dramatic, because the TL is bigger and costs more and while there will be some differentiation between the buyer market it will not be a great as Acura thinks. There are a lot of people, my self included , that want more power than the TSX offers and the TL 6-spped will satisfy that very well. It won't be the solution for everyone because it will be 4-6K higher priced.

As the old say goes "On the Internet No one can tell you are a dog".
  • jimblockjimblock Member Posts: 62
    About two weeks ago, I started shopping for a new car. After viewing the 2003 Accords, we decided we liked the TSX (w/Navi) better than the similarly equipped Accord.

The first Acura dealer we looked at was charging list and indicated that we would have to order any TSX with a Navi. He estimated a month to two for delivery.

I went to another local Acura dealer and after some talking was immediately offered $500 off list. They had several Navi models in stock and the salesman indicated he could do a bit better if I purchased one in stock. I brought my wife over at lunchtime, and we decided to go with a Carbon Gray/Quartz Navi AT, although our first choice had been Black/Black Navi MT.

Since it wasn't our first choice, I told the dealer that we might shop some more, but asked for his best deal on the one in stock. We got $700 off list plus I asked him to throw in the All Season Mats for free. He agreed. No hassle, no arguments, car was delivered in two days (3.75% Honda Financing).

We are very happy with it, and sometimes you can get lucky.
    Jimblock -- What part of the country are you in? It seems the midwest and south are offering some of the best deals. It's a good thing you were flexible enough on color/transmission that you got a good deal. I'm kinda stuck on getting a stick, so AT is simply out.

I haven't gotten any in-person quotes, but the best online quote I've received so far here in Southern California is about $250 off list. And, of course, dealers don't really want to deal unless you show up in person. I hope to be ready to do that in a couple of weeks, if not sooner.
  • szellersszellers Member Posts: 22
    Carsdirect is now showing 900.00 off MSRP for the TSX in the Central Florida area. Anyone in the area gotten a better deal in the Orlando area?
  • mgelmgel Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about Orlando, but in the Cleveland area the TSX (non-nav) is going for $500 off MSRP as of 8-11-03. I just can't bear to get rid of my CL....yet.
    I'm in Long Island, NY.

We do regret not getting the MT a bit -- my wife (surprisingly) more than me. But the AT has plenty of pep (I test drove before deciding) and the sport shift is fun, although not the real thing.

But AT has always been easier when you get into traffic, which does happen a lot around here...
  • crk2crk2 Member Posts: 2
    Got my new TSX from oakland acura for $26,200.

auto/no navigation. deal with the internet sales manager j.b.

awesome buying experience and even better driving experience.

dollar for dollar you can't beat the TSX!
    That does sound like a good deal. I did some math, and figured out the one that I want -- 6sp, no NAVI, with the wheel locks, trunk tray, and mud flaps (which every single dealer around here calls the Acura Protection Package) costs the dealer right at $24,850, give or take a hundred bucks.

(That's not including a 2% holdback on the sticker price, which could run as high as $540. I don't even know if Acura does holdback on the TSX, since it appears the dealers sell them as quickly as they're taken off the truck.)

So, it seems anything in the low $26K area would represent both a healthy profit for the dealer, and a decent ($800 to $1,000 off MSRP) discount for the buyer. I hope to find a dealer in SoCal willing to go that low.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Did you try Ball? They dealt a grand off the sticker before I ever pushed on price. I'm helping a friend look for an entry lux car this weekend and I'm definitely gonna consult Ball after she sees the TSX is a far better car than her current favorite (A4 Quattro - 31k sticker!).
    Yes, it was Ball. The more experienced of the two salesmen I talked to seemed to be really eager to get me into something right then and there. He implied that getting me the exact trans/equpiment/color combo that I wanted would not be a problem, for there are many stashed at some lot off the 5 freeway. So, I'll probably try them first once I'm ready to buy.
  • colandnelcolandnel Member Posts: 2
    I am working with JB for a TSX with the same price 26,200. He gave me a vin# on a black with ebony that is coming in in 2 weeks. He wanted to know who referred me-so I gave him your name. He is very happy to get the business. You said that your buying experience was great there-I have heard otherwise so I hope you are correct. Thanks again!
    -Colleen
  • crk2crk2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed. very low pressure environment.

i asked for wheel locks and mud flaps and he provided them for free with no issues.

good luck
  • sailnfastsailnfast Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to the board, but have been following things for the last few months as I've been set on getting a new TSX since test driving it about 4 months ago. I just received an email quote for a Nighthawk Black Pearl/Ebony 6 speed with Navigation that is in stock for $ 27690.00. MSRP is $ 28990.00. This seems like a good deal to me and given that it was the first response via my email inquiry, there might be more room to go down. Any thoughts on whether or not this is a okay/good/great deal? Thanks!
    Ask if the price of $27,690 includes the $500 destination charge. If it does, it is a good deal. If not, it's really a quote of $28,190 or 800 off MSRP, which is not a bad deal (it's about what I paid), but not as good as you might think...

And, of course, ask about any other required fees, options, etc.
  • jreed012jreed012 Member Posts: 3
    Every dealership I have worked with only wants to deal at MSRP. Some have been willing to throw in free oil changes for the entire warranty period, which won't help me because they are several hundred miles away. The local dealership here in Nashville wouldn't come off any, but said they would throw in some mudflaps (wow, what a deal). I countered with $500 off MSRP with no freebies, the sales lady said she would check with her boss...that was 5 days ago, I never heard back. I see people here (and other places) paying below retail, but I am not having any luck. Can anybody point me in the right direction??

Thanks!
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Facts of the matter. Bought Black on Black (6 speed)today with spoiler, and mudds plus wheel locks for $26,500. Spoiler was already on for $550. I tried the automatic but it makes no sense to me in this car. I did resent paying same price as automatic.

Smooth deal, however, wanted white but none within 10 hours so I took its opposite since in stock unit is always to be had for better deal. Some dealers tell me all next month resold. My dealer had two 6 speeds and one auto red in stock. I liked the red and the blue also but settled on black. My dealer is not ordering any more 6 speeds. Says no demand for them. I guess that is why I got about $1,000 off.

Inky
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Should wait a year if your the patient type that can wait but when you want a car you want it right then and there. The TSX came out what 3 months ago so a 9 month wait wouldn't be that bad for the patient type of buyer making the TSX 1 year old since it has been out. Another thing about waiting for a good purchase price on a TSX is the TSX is a new model so bugs may have to be worked out because this is the TSX's first year of being a new model.

Acura from what I've known always does this MSRP stuff when a new model debuts and then then if you wait a year you get a generous deal. I mean I have heard on these boards the 99 TL was going for MSRP when it first debut by 01-02 you could get a good deal on a TL. When the RSX came out they wanted MSRP now you can probably get an RSX a little over invoice price. I have an Acura myself and got a good a deal on a CL in 2001.
  • jreed012jreed012 Member Posts: 3
    That's kind of what I figured. I was hoping to get this car sooner though. I guess it's all simple economics...supply vs. demand.

Thanks again!
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    No problem. I hope you enjoy your TSX when you get it.
  • stuukestuuke Member Posts: 2
    I've been reading up on the specials for 2003 TL leases. You can lease a TL standard equipment for $329 plus taxes, a $369 for navigation. It also requires a $999 down payment. The deals I've been reading for the TSX on this site don't seem very good. $398 a month for the a TSX with a hefty down payment seems like a pretty bad deal for a car that costs thousands less than a TL. Has anyone gotten a better rate on TSX leases? Should I go with the TL?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Acura has resorted to giving away the TL as it's quite dated and the new one is quite close to coming out, while the TSX is brand new and selling well...that's why the TSX has lousy lease deals. If you're selling in decent numbers, there exists no reason to supplement those sales with possibly expensive (for the manufacturer) leases.
  • azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    As we all know...there is no "dealing" for TSX at this time. It is MSRP for the TSX or buy a Honda Accord.

You think that when the new TL becomes available, dealers will be more "flexible" with the TSX?
  • bobshiftrightbobshiftright Member Posts: 16
    Cars Direct currently shows the TSX at a discount in my zip code, prior to this past weekend they showed MSRP, notwithstanding the fact that reports here and elsewhere indicated that some dealers in my area were shaving at least $500 off the sticker price. Since Cars Direct still extracts it's fee from the deal, this suggests that the market price has indeed gone down, perhaps in anticipation of the arrival of the '04 TL.

I'm seriously considering buying BOTH a TSX with the 6-speed manual AND an '04 Accord EX V6 slushbox to keep everyone in the household happy.
  • dtdodtdo Member Posts: 1
    sdradioguy:

Got my TSX thru the Costco Car Buying Program...bought my TSX for 26,290 at South Coast Acura in Orange County.
    Several people (outside of this forum) have urged me to get a Costco membership and buy the car that way. I've also received some referrals through the Auto Club of SoCal, although I have yet to follow up on them. I'm having to delay my purchase by at least a month, but I hope to get it done before the car registration fees in CA triple.

Based on what you and others have said, it appears the dealers in Orange County are willing to shave off a few hundred more than the ones in SD. I don't know why that is so.
  • bbaldwin1bbaldwin1 Member Posts: 10
    It is possible to get a deal on a TSX, at least if the dealer happens to have what you want in stock. I just drove off the lot in a Carbon Gray/quartz 6spd no-nav for $1000 under MSRP, which the dealer matched based on a quote I had gotten from a less geographically convenient dealer (all in Texas). The original quote was on an in-stock vehicle as well.

Unfortunately, it's raining, so I have to wait to take it out for some real driving...
    McDavid in Austin will match Gunn's pricing. They know they're losing business to Gunn's "no haggle" pricing otherwise.
    Thanks to jcampod for referring me to Bob Howard in OKC. The 3 hour drive was worth it. Dallas area dealers seem to be selling at or close to MSRP. Though he wouldn't give me the 27,290 jcampod was able to swing, I got mine for 27,413 + a 149 ridiculous admin (ADP) fee. For those in the Dallas area, Community CU is offering 3.24 for up to 60 mths with auto debit.

The car is a Meteor Silver/Nav/5AT. Though the price was right, the dealership experience was awful. They told me it would be first or second week of August, and both the sales manager and salesmen were quoting me different delivery dates throughout this whole deal. The communication by the salesman to keep me in the loop was very, very poor. It was a frustrating process, but I suppose that is the case with many car dealers and especially when you have to order the vehicle.

For those ordering, the cars are being inspected at port before they are delivered now. My build date was 7/28 and delivery date was 8/28!