Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• stones3131stones3131 Member Posts: 21
    Acura in Turnersville on RT 42.

Basically I lied (as do car salesman) and told them I had that price quoted to me from a dealership up in north NJ and that I didn't wanna have to drive all the way up to north NJ to get the car.

In fact, I was there so late they couldn't even wash/detail the car for me, so I said I would come back and get the car later in the week but they basically told me to take and they'll owe me a wash/detail.

Good luck and let me know what happens.
  • gregd1gregd1 Member Posts: 38
    Hello,
    It seems like we can get the invoice prices, what others are paying, etc... on new cars.

However, lets say I would like to buy a "new" 2008 TSX. I have checked some dealers web sites. And they still have some 2008's left.
    What kind of prices can you get on them? How much of a discount could someone get?
    Or do dealers consider, new is new. Either a 2008 or 2008?
    thanks
  • milo57milo57 Member Posts: 16
    A week or two ago Sterling McCall Acura in Houston offered to knock $3,000 off the sticker price of a new '08 TSX, whether with our without NAV.

This would put the base model around $26,000 and the NAV model around $28,000.

This was their initial offer after a test drive, without my making any effort to bargain them down or "play the game." (I didn't do serious bargaining because I have not really decided between TSX / Altima Coupe / Accord Coupe.)
    Typo in the previous message: the '08 TSX with NAV would be around $29,000 after a $3,000 discount, not $28,000.
    Thank you. Very interesting.

I see they have 12, 2008 TSX's.
    http://sterlingmccallacura.com/index.cfm?action=inventorysearch&subaction=search- listnew&InventoryType=new&CurrentPage=1&yr=2008&make=Acura&model=TSX

When you run TSX (Nav + Auto) in Edmund's, you get
    MSRP - 31,000
    Invoice - 28, 600
    TMV - $28,293

If I could get 3,000 off of Invoice or TMV that would be a nice price. (I know you said 3,000 off of MSRP.)
    $25,500. I think I would jump on that in a second.

Do you know how to haggle on a year old model?
    What kind of prices?

thanks
    I would be extremely surprised if anyone could get an '08 with NAV for $25,000, but there's no telling what can happen at the end of a model year.

The way I would haggle on a year old model is the same way I would haggle in any situation -- play one dealer against another, and be willing to walk away if they demand more than you've decided, after research, than you're willing to pay.

As I said, I am considering going with the Altima 4 cyl Coupe rather than the TSX, since the Altima gets more torque and better mileage, and does it with regular unleaded. SInce I'm downsizing to save money on gas, the Altima seems like a stronger contender. But if I were negotiating with an Acura dealer, my interest in the Altima would give me more power -- the party with the lesser desire to complete the transaction has the stronger bargaining position. I know I can give up on Acura entirely and have a great alternative with a Nissan.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    ". . .the party with the lesser desire to complete the transaction has the stronger bargaining position."

I agree 100%. The way I express it is "he who cares least wins the negotiation."

When I bought my TSX a few months ago, I knew I was in trouble because I wanted a manual transmission with no nav & didn't want white, black or silver. In other words, I cared & most assuredly did not win the negotiation. I did get a good car, however, and a reasonable deal. Nothing like what people have been posting on here lately, but reasonable. It's averaging ~27 mpg in mixed freeway, urban driving to work & back -- 33+ on the highway. Plus, it'll run forever, hold its value well and handles okay, for a FWD appliance.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I am not totally sold on the TSX. I have been going round and round on what to buy.
    I have a 1995 Infiniti J30. So I run cars into the ground. That takes a few cars off my list immediately. (*cough* BMW, VW)

I was looking at the new 2009 TSX. Then I have gone around on other cars.
    The new Maxima is nice. But for 35 to 38,000 not a deal at all. Also the lexus is way too much money.
    Drove the honda accord, Toyota Avalon and Volvo(s).
    I rented an Altima once on vacation. Maybe I will try it out again.

I was just at a volvo dealer. Drove both the s40 and s60. And the sales guy let me drive his S80 with 200,000 miles on it.
    It seems like you can get a great deal on a Volvo right now. They seem to want to throw them at you.

So now I am back thinking TSX, but the 2008. Instead of a 2009 TSX. Thinking I could get a good deal on one.

Not in any real hurry. Again I have an Infiniti, so I can keep running that sucker into the ground. Never had any problems. No work on it at all. Just showing it's age. With the slow car sales, thinking I could get a good deal on something.
    I think most dealers have 2008 TSX's left.
    You can go to local Acura web sites and check inventory.
    One deal by be has 36. Another has 11. These are all styles.
    I am looking for auto+Nav. Which seems to be what is built most.
    And I actually like all the colors. And would go for any but red. So I am not really picky on my model.
    But I think your local dealer would love to sell a car. Enough to ship from another dealer.

I drove the Accord. It just seemed too noisy. I had posted a thread about that:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.efe7679/5009
    milo57,
    Out of curiosity,
    Have you thought about the Altima Hybrid? I know they are limited to specific states. I am wondering if they can ship them to other states. California seems to have lots of them. Just wondering?
    My understanding is that the Altima Hybrid is only available in California. And as with the Camry, it is available only in the somewhat stodgy sedan, not the coupe.

In addition, I would like to let hybrid technology mature a little more (5+years) before committing myself. I have seen almost nothing about hybrid reliability, (although it occurs to me there might be a thread here at Edmunds somewhere.)

Last but not least, supposedly some hybrid owners are claiming that they feel bad in their cars due to the electromagnetic fields generated by the hybrid drive. I doubt there's much to this, since I don't think the field would necessarily be that strong, but it is another disincentive to be on the cutting edge.
    thanks,
    Yea, they are only available in: California, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine, and New Jersey.

I was looking at some N Cal nissan dealer web sites. They seem to have lots of Altima hybrids.

I have also posted questions here. Just to find out info:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef06fa3/1853
  • pj1369pj1369 Member Posts: 16
    Hi All - What's the best price you all have been able to get for on an automatic TSX w/ nav? Thanks in advance...-PJ
  • hipreckhipreck Member Posts: 67
    in MN best is around $700 under sticker. They are selling VERY well here.
  • cabaretcabaret Member Posts: 8
    without nav , almost all gone in PA/NJ/DE; with nav, I got a quote around 27000. Please help me to see if I can get it better?
    I really don't need the nav, but it is still cheaper than 2009 new model w/o nav.
    Thanks!
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    I am looking to but the 09 TSX base model auto trans. Any one from west palm beach to miami have any good deals?
  • pj1369pj1369 Member Posts: 16
    Same here - thanks for the quick reply!
    Just bought an '08 without Nav from John Eagle Acura in Houston.

TSX Price: $25,900, $3,000 below MSRP

Tradein: After some negotiation, $1,000 above KBB wholesale

Interest: 7.4%, with decent but not great credit

A good deal and a good experience, although I had to run a fairly hardsell F&I gauntlet about various add-ons. The dealership throws in some freebies like free oil changes, nitrogen, etc.

I think all the Houston dealers are offering $3,000 off MSRP for the '08s, but the supply seems to be going fast. There were eight '08s on the lot when I showed up Friday morning, and 4 when I showed up Saturday morning for the actual handover.

As I've noted elsewhere, the dealerships seem to have a very large stock of '08 TLs on hand, and I suspect there are deals to be had on them also.
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    Invoice is 26,675 plus there is $1000 dealer cash taking it to 25,675. Your trade-in probably precluded you from getting the invoice + cash.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • xmomxmom Member Posts: 4
    Hello All-

What price would be fair to pay for a TSX with 30k-33k miles and Automatic?
    I've come accross two in the Atlanta area both a priced at around $20,900. I had been shopping for a new civic .
  • mvictormvictor Member Posts: 4
    just picked up my 08 tsx w/ navi last weekend. I had to call around to alot of dealers just to find one none in my area had any left. Paid 26,500 + taxes and tags ran me about 29,000
    where did you buy this car? Are you in PA/NJ?

I got my car (08 tsx w nav ) today, 27000, include tax, tags, titles at about 29000. I have to pay about 200 doc fee, and 100 titles , tags etc. Not sure if everyone else paid same doc fee like that. 27000 is the best I can do here in PA.
  • fifteenkeyfifteenkey Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to everyone for the great info posted here. I paid $26,556.

MSRP $31,005.00
    Invoice $27,841.00
    Dest Chg $715.00
    Mfg to Dealer Incent. ($1,500.00)
    Invoice minus Incent $27,056.00
    Trade ($500.00)
    Offer $26,556.00
    Sales Tax 5% $1,327.80
    Prep Fees $269.00
    Title/Plates $86.00
    Out The Door $28,238.80
    off MSRP $4,449.00
    off Invoice $1,285.00

The dealer still made their $930.15 holdback profit plus the $269 "Doc Prep."
    The Internet Sales Manager at Acura of Auburn near Worcester, MA was great to deal with.

Herb Connolly Acura - Not so much...
    Doubtful there was any holdback left since the car was sure to have been on the lot for more then the past 90 days.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • starman8starman8 Member Posts: 2
    Looks like there are some great deals on the '08 TSX. I have finally locked down and purchased a '09 TSX with Tech package. I don't have the car yet, it had to be ordered and will take about 4 weeks to reach me. Here is the bottom line:
    Total Cost 31000 + TTL. I purchased the Polished Metal with Taupe interior. I was thinking about waiting for the '09 TL, but loved the drive, location of the Nav, and the MPG rating ...I drive cars to the ground, I'm moving from an 96 Accord EX with 190K. This will be fun upgrade :)
  • dmason12dmason12 Member Posts: 16
    $600 over invoice on model without Navigation
    Money Factor is .00270 w/ $400 Security Deposit (is .00280 w/ no Sec. Dep)
    Residual is 66% w/ 12K miles per year on a 36 mo. lease
    No Cap Reduction, drive off of 1st payment, DMV fees, bank fee of $595 and doc fee
    Payment is $397 including tax
    This is at Park Ave Acura in North New Jersey. The Manhattan dealer let me walk out with this same offer, so I must have done OK.
  • jlopintojlopinto Member Posts: 24
    Bought '08 Certified TSX w/Nav -10,900 mis.
    $23.7 + TT
    No Trade-In
    5.19% AHFC - 36 mos. Note

Got new tires and wheels, mats, full detailing, full tank of gas plus some touch up paint work.
  • paulhrichpaulhrich Member Posts: 1
    I was offered the following terms on a 2009 TSX, base model: 48 months, 12k miles per year @ $380 per month (includes 5% sales tax), with $1300 due at inception. Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good deal?
    Thanks.
  • dmason12dmason12 Member Posts: 16
    You need to find out what the capitalized cost and money factor are. I made a mistake on my post. My payment is $387 including 8.375% New York Sate sales tax. Figuring the difference in our tax rates, my payment is actually lower than yours, and I put no money down (cap cost reduction). Also, mine is a 36 month lease, which would generally have a pmt of 10-20% higher than a 48 month. If your cap cost is more than $1000 over invoice, you need to renegotiate.
  • cameljockecameljocke Member Posts: 9
    Dealer won't go past 27100. They started at 27800 and I've brought them down to this. They have 3 on the lot, but he's claiming any lower and he begins to lose money on the car. Claims they do "work" on the car, including clean up and waht not when it comes off the truck that totals $300.

So 27100, should I go for it? I was really hoping for 26500, 26700ish as seen above, but I guess different dealers in different states have different prices?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    When your dealer lets you walk away, then you are likely the lowest he will go.. Trying to match the very lowest price you see in the forum will be hard to do, unless you are willing to shop multiple dealers and expand your search parameters... For most people, that's not worth the hassle..

$27,100 is a pretty good price..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

i live in jersey got it in pa
    I would suggest shopping around other dealers. I called one dealer and said i was willing to pay 26500 and he said he would be losing money too. 27100 isnt too bad though if no other dealers have what your looking for
  • gprettgprett Member Posts: 12
    After going back and forth with emails, here is a lease quote I got today. Please let me know what you think:

2009 TSX
    36 months
    15,000 miles
    MF = .00280
    Residual = 19882.25
    $1400 due at signing
    $375/month (taxes included)

Dealer says the price is less than $100 over invoice. Can I do better than this??
    Haven't been to the dealer yet so if it's a good deal I hope they stick to it!
    Any feedback would be much appreciated.
  • soapdish616soapdish616 Member Posts: 31
    Where did you get this deal? It seems really good to me...
    You will never know if it is $100 over invoice unless he tells you what he is selling the car for. But of course salesman are 100% truthful so it shouldn't be a problem.

I had a salesman tell me he was selling me a car for $250 over invoice. But then he added a $254 Honda advertising fee and a $35 shipping price adjustment.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    I was curious which dealer did you get this car? any what color exterior/interior?

I live in PA but brought in NJ, because only NJ game me 27000, PA all asked for 27700 for grey interior. (admore, west chester...)
  • sethnagasethnaga Member Posts: 50
    I am trying to decide between 08 TSX with Navi (28K OTD) and 08 TL with Navi. (32K OTD) Price wise they are apart by 4,000$ (Comparing out the door price)

I realize TL is bigger with better features/options. My questions is TL worth 4,000$ more than TL? Which is the best buy?

Thanks
  • sethnagasethnaga Member Posts: 50
    Based on what I read in your posting you have paid 26556+500 (Trade-in) +269 Prep fees which means your price is 27325 before tax tag and title. Right?
  • gprettgprett Member Posts: 12
    The deal is not quite done yet, but it is in wayne, NJ. Let's see how everything goes and I will get back to you with a full report. So you think there is more room to move or should I just jump on it now?
  • jmfdonejmfdone Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    Sorry if this is not quite on topic but I am choosing between two cars and could use some advice. I am looking at certified used acuras. I have narrowed the selection down to two cars, quite different:

1) 2005 RL, loaded with NAV 39K miles. Outstanding condition (silver w. black interior) for $24880.

2) 2006 TSX also loaded w. NAV 30K miles. Again outstanding condition (black and black). price on this one $21 - 22K

Both have clean carfax reports.

I understand that the two cars are really different, but it either would be suitable for me. The dealer is urging me to go w. the RL saying it is a much better value and that it is much more car. I feel like either deal is pretty good. Does anyone have any input as to whether it truly is a no brainer? The other thing is that the dealer is presenting me with these cars at these prices because of a major error they committed and he claims that these deals (particularly the RL) is a great deal. Finally, the TL is not in the running because he does not have any certified ones with NAV and I really want NAV.
  • tsxchilandtsxchiland Member Posts: 1
    Well, the RL is a heck of a deal -- but is it too good a deal? You're likely getting it at or below their cost, but whenever a dealer says there is a "major error" it gets my guard up. Remember it costs a lot more to operate and maintain than a TSX does. My '06 TSX with 38K has cost only oil changes so far, and gets over 30mpg on the highway even here in Chicago. Your TSX deal seems much more fair. Check out prices for similar RL's in your area. If this one is way too low, there's likely to be a reason, so be careful.
    The two cars are similar deals... The TL deal might be a little better.. Both cars are being replaced with new models for '09...

Pick whichever one you like the best.. If you really like the TSX, buy it and save your $4000... Just because the TL is bigger and more powerful doesn't automatically make it "better".

Personally, I prefer smaller cars.. A great deal on a car you don't want is no bargain...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Take the newer cheaper car - if both satisfy your needs why would you pay more for a larger more expensive (and more expensive to maintain) car? Folks need to detach themselves from this "might as well" mentality.
  • jmfdonejmfdone Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. Went with the RL, mostly because its more family friendly and I have two kids w/ one more on the way. Excited. They are delivering the car tomorrow. I think once my kids are all out of car seats I will definitely give the TSX a try. Its a lot of fun to drive.

All in all think I got a good deal and look forward to the RL.

Thanks for the help.
  • xdemonxdemon Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Anyone getting any good deals in the NoVA area?
  • ralphieralphralphieralph Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering what should I be paying for the 2008 Acura TSX new without navigation? I know the MSRP is about $28,900.

I am considering on buying a new 2008 Acura TSX. There are only 3 left. What do you think I should be paying since it is last years model and that the 2009 TSX is already out.

Please help me out since this will be my first time buying a car. I have been doing some research but more info the better.

Thank You
  • fifteenkeyfifteenkey Member Posts: 5
    Dealer invoice is $25,915, plus Acura is kicking $1,000 to their dealers to get rid of the 2008's. I'd start at $24,915 or a little less... I recently paid $1,250 below invoice for an '08 w/Nav. eMail a few dealers an offer for cars they have on their lot and see what happens. Good luck.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    To you, the 08 will be new; but in the marketplace it's a year old & valued accordingly, In other works It's already depreciated 25% or so; so, if you want to trade, or it's totaled in an accident, you're going to recieve the value of a year old car.
    I bought 300-400 cars & trucks a year for a large national business. We tried to do all of our buying in the 1st half of the model year because of the depreciation factor.

Every year the big 3 would offer us "fantastic" deals on year end models, but the economics just weren't there.

Thge only way you can make out buying a year old model is to keep it for a long time.
    I don't know... If you can save $5000 by getting the '08 over the '09?

Yeah... if you want to trade it in next year, you might do worse... but, after 3 years, I think you might be better off..

Plus.. for 90% of buyers.. the amount of the car payment matters..
    $5K = $100/mo..

But, I agree that the difference isn't as great as it seems, once you factor in resale value...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator