Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• msmith777msmith777 Member Posts: 10
    my email address is msmith777@yahoo.com
  • darknightx13darknightx13 Member Posts: 11
    At a dealership in Westchester, NY I have been quoted the following on a 2009 TSX w/o Nav:

36 Months
    15K miles per year.
    $385 a month
    $595 Bank Fee + $385 (first pmt) + DMV Fees (under 200) due at signing.

At this price, the sale price is $26950.
    I want to pay $379, which means they need to drop another $200 off the price.
    I also want them to throw in splash guards, wheel locks, trunk tray and 2 yrs of oil change, which as yet they are relunctant to do.

What do you think? Is their offer any good? Am I being unrealistic or is this deal I should jump at? I've got a 1 month left on my current '06 TSX lease. They will pick up this payment if I can act before Tuesday. I don't know what to do.
    Tuesday? What is so special about Tuesday? Sounds like a bogus deadline to force you into making a decision. What happens on Wednesday if you tell them that you wanted to make the deal but it's expired and you want to shop elsewhere? Wait till the end of the month and they'll ask you if they can increase your offer of $200 off the price to $500.
    My last lease payment (on my current lease) is due on Tuesday, They didn't give me that date, but I presume they won't be able to pay it for me if I've pay it already.

That aside for the moment, what do you think of the numbers? In general, is $650 below invoice considered good? Should I be happy with this price ($385) if they refuse to go any lower? What about the bank fee? Is it normal to pay this up front?.
  • yy394yy394 Member Posts: 3
    In Novemeber I started requesting quotes from dealerships in the Bay Area. Most of them responded quickly and professional. However, this specific one at PRESTIGE ACURA in Santa Rosa replied my request by asking which side of the Golden Gate Bridge I live in? I emailed her back and told her I live in San Francisco.

Then, she emailed me back saying "Unless you have some kind of affiliation to my dealership, my quote is msrp. There is no reason why you would drive an hour away to buy a car. Plus, my dealer services do not apply to you because you are on the other side of the GG bridge." (Yes, this is exactly how she responded. so rude!)

I have never seen a car sales person like this. To me driving one hour to buy a car is reasonable. I can't believe that she made comments like that. Besides, I think it's customer's business to decide where they want to buy a car. Sounds like she only wanted to sell cars to people who live "on the same side of the GG Bridge." Very ridiculous! Maybe she thougt I was just shopping around and didn't wanna waste time on me. If so, then she should not have been an "online sales consultant."

Poor customer service and very rude!! DON'T GO TO Prestige Acura in Santa Rosa, California.
  • sandiegodriversandiegodriver Member Posts: 16
    Bizarre. Her attitude is not what you'd expect from anyone at any time, let alone a car salesperson in this kind of economy. I would drive well over an hour to get a good deal on a car, and I suspect most people would.

I suggest you call the dealership, speak with the general manager, and then forward her e-mail to him or her so the salesperson can be disciplined. I think it's important to address bad customer service and rude employees by going right to the top. Let the general manager know that an employee like this tarnishes the whole Acura brand.

Oh, and you should also let the general manager know that you have -- and will continue -- to post information about your experience on various web forums. And that you're naming their dealership. THAT will surely get his/her attention!
  • ash326ash326 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at the TSX w/Technology Package. One question I couldn't find online (or get answered by the salesperson I spoke with): what is the monthly fee for AcuraLink to get weather/traffic updates? Is this negotiable at all w/the dealer?

Thanks!
  • samimosamimo Member Posts: 3
    I am planning on purchasing a 2009 TSX with Tech package. MSRP is $32,820. Invoice is $30,224. How much under invoice have you been able to purchase for? I have qualified for 0.9% financing through the dealer.
  • members78members78 Member Posts: 140
    Someone emailed me his TSX receipt and he managed 29,749, or roughly 760 below invoice, not including processing fee. He purchased in the beginning of October. I just heard from the Wall Street guys that TSX sales are down 10%, so you could probably score an even better deal.

If I can't swing a 128i coupe, then I might pick up a TSX tech package. I currently own a 2004 TSX and I'm very happy with it. It's a complete package and the best value for the dollar, I think.
  • mittbbmittbb Member Posts: 8
    Recently got the TSX base package for $500 below invoice.
  • samimosamimo Member Posts: 3
    When I asked about the service, I was told that there was no monthly fee...it's a free service.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    I received an e-mail quote for $350 below invoice. Haven't pulled the trigger so I guess I could ask for more! Saw that at this price the dealer holdback was still $575. Looking to buy next week - trying for the end-of-the-year deal. Inventory levels have steadily increased during the past two months.

Many put an add-on pro pack (splash guards, wheel locks and trunk matt) to increase their profit.
  • jdr10jdr10 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I was getting a really good deal on a base tsx now I am not so sure. I did so much research and went in with what I thought was good information.

I was quoted 26,616 from the internet. When I got to the dealer we went back and forth about 4 times before they came out with a $320.98 (tax included) a month for 36 months/10,000. I know I shouldn't put any money down but in order to keep the payments that low they said I would have to put 3000 down. I got the car but do not understand the lease agreement. I also paid $595 and $895 for a passive alarm and remote start. I paid that on top of the $3000. Then I had to pay NY taxes on the cap cost reduction. So basically it came out to $4973 down( including taxes and fees) which now seems like way too much.

The agreement says:

Gross cap cost $29774.65
    - cap cost red. - 3242.58
    adj. cap cost $26532.07
    residual (65%) 19318.00
    depreciation = $7214.07
    rent charge $4341.21 (what does this mean?)
    total base pay $11555.28
    36 mon = $320.98

Can you help me break this down so I know what I did or what I shouldn't have done? From the way this is, I can't see that I got the vehicle for 26,616. (plus the alarm 595 and remote start 895) HELP!

Thanks very much! :confuse:
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    It doesn't matter how great a deal you got on the car, the dealership made it up on the alarm and remote start. Why is it folks just can't say NO? :confuse:
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    to say earlier that jdr10 got hosed, but held off. It appears to be apparent to others as well.

Getting an okay deal prior to F & I (finance & insurance), then taking it up the (oh well) at that point doesn't yield a very satisfactory overall result.

Just say no. Every time they ask -- just say no. Make an OTD (out-the-door) deal, including sales tax, license & any/all crap charges, prior to going to F&I. Walk if that isn't the number at the bottom of the deal sheet.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    First.... don't feel bad about making poor lease decisions.. Almost everyone makes mistakes the first few times.. at least..

But... to answer a few of your questions...

You did pretty well on the selling price, it seems.. But, the $595 + $895 for the alarm and remote start? You'd have to want these pretty bad for this to make good sense on a lease. Since neither of those things are residualized, you pay the full amount over the 36 months of the lease.. That added around $45/mo. to your lease cost. Probably your biggest mistake.

There are lots of reasons for not putting money down on a lease... but, it doesn't really cost you any more, assuming you don't lose the car to accident or theft early in the lease... But, an easy way to get the real monthly cost of the lease, is to divide your upfront payment, minus the first payment, by the term.

$4973 - $320 = $4653 / 36mo. = $130/mo. approx..

$320/mo. + $130/mo. = $450/mo..

That seems pretty high.. but, if you deducted the $45/mo. for the alarm/remote start, you'd be at $405/mo. with nothing upfront but first payment...

Not a great price, but decent for a $30K car..

Also, to answer your other question.. the "rent charge" is the finance portion of the lease payment... The interest, for lack of a better term..
    (Depreciation + Finance charge + Tax) / term = lease payment.

Hope that helps,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cpabuckcpabuck Member Posts: 8
    Can you please tell me what dealership or what city you got the deal in for $500 below invoice? Here in Florida, they're not budging below $28K for the base w/o Tech.
  • cpabuckcpabuck Member Posts: 8
    Hello,
    Can anyone tell me if they've gotten a good deal on a TSX w/o Tech in Southwest Florida? I'm having a tough time getting the dealers to budge below $28K. Thanks.
  • dwr3dwr3 Member Posts: 2
    Got the dealer to this point... Is it a good deal? '09 TSX base, automatic and no extras for 27,720 Plus 835 local taxes, 389 other fees, 69 title fees = 29,013 total cash price delivered.

I'm thinking I should still be able to drive it home for 27,000 (plus tax/doc/title).

Thoughts please?
    Leased a base TSX with no add-ons

MSRP was $29,720
    Invoice was $27,381
    Paid $26,777 ($604 below invoice)

All I paid at closing was the acquisition fee, 1st month's payment plus doc/title fees.

For a 36 month lease 15K miles per year (using mf of 0.00263 and residual of 62%) that came out to $350.84 plus tax.

Acura's (actually Honda's) fiscal year ends midnight 1/5/09. Happy shopping!

Note: 6 other dealers would not match this price, one would but he had added accessories.
    drtravel,
    I'm unclear how you're coming to this monthly price. I come up with $379.35/month when I use your numbers.
    Use the following formula to calculate a lease payment:
    (Cap Cost – Residual Value) / Term = Depreciation
    (Cap Cost + Residual Value) X Money Factor = Interest
    Depreciation + Interest = Base Monthly Payment

Residual value is 0.62 X 29720 = 18426.40

(26777-18426.40)/36 = 231.96
    (26777+18426.40) X 0.00263 = 118.89

231.96 + 118.89 = 350.85 (plus tax)

Those are the exact same numbers that the dealer came up with.
    I didn't realize the tax wasn't included when you made your initial post. With taxes (at least where I am in NY) it would be an additional 28.51 per month. This is basically the price I wanted my dealer to come to plus I wanted some additional iteams "thrown in".
    It's best to quote lease prices as base payment plus taxes so those in other states can compare apples to apples. Tax rates vary across the country - some have zero! Also some states charge the sales tax upfront while others spread it out over the monthly payments. And it's also a bad idea to shop based on a monthly payment. Always negotiate the best sales price - the lease payment will be whatever it will be. Advertised leases tend to be for 10K (even seen some at 7.5K) miles per year and require a large capital cost reduction. I just run my own numbers for 15K with no capital cost reduction.
  • drtivoldrtivol Member Posts: 5
    you should be able to do better than that.

I got $27,800 with tech package (before tax, title, lic, and destination).
  • casdmgcasdmg Member Posts: 11
    30174 was the quote I got back from my car buying service for the 2009 tsx tech. This does no include customary fees including tax/tags/etc.

Is this a good price?
  • whippbwhippb Member Posts: 2
    I'm most likely buying tomorrow. I contacted a few dealerships and Chevy Chase Acura gave me an immediate offer via email, with no BS. He outlined everything to a "delivered price" of $30,646.22. Sale Price is $29,574. VA Sales Tax $887.22. Registration $85. Processing $100.

I was really impressed that he gave me a number so easily. It was like pulling teeth with the other dealers, and I still only got vague promises of "around your goal of invoice plus fees" with no mention of what those "fees" would be.

Invoice is listed as $30,424 on Cars.com. So basically even with all fees, I'm getting it for only $246 over invoice and the sale price is almost $900 under invoice (he claimed it was $650 under invoice, so maybe Cars.com isn't up to date). The only thing I can think is that he's trying to leave out the delivery fee that is listed as $760 on Cars.com. But he said "delivered price" after I told him to give me out-the-door pricing and he outlined everything else, so I would imagine that the $30,646.22 number has to be accurate.

Doesn't this seem like a good deal? Unless someone thinks I am missing something. I'll most likely be buying this tomorrow afternoon (financing it anyway).

Brian
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    Go for it. It sounds like you've done your homework & that the deal is okay. Don't lose sleep over whether someone else on the planet got one for less -- life's too short.

OTOH, watch that $30,646.22 number like a hawk. A few dollars one way or the other in F&I, due to days of interest or whatnot shouldn't be a big deal, but if they try to talk you into crap you don't want for hundreds/thousands (security/extended warranty/tint/you-name-it), walk.

From the sound of how they do business, at least so far, that's not a high probability.

Enjoy your TSX. I certainly do mine, even though Acura seems to be on the skids, long-term. Plan to keep it for a long time.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jmcbmwjmcbmw Member Posts: 85
    That's a VERY good deal especially considering the no haggle price. Does it include the "Pro-Pack" (mud flaps, trunk liner, wheel locks)? Mine did include the pro-pack for just under your price. Also, our processing fee was only $45 here in CA. Good luck. We love the car it's awesome!
  • TysonBunchTysonBunch Member Posts: 1
    Just bought our new baby this past weekend after looking at the lexus, bmw, nissan. Worked with a reputable dealer via the internet in the Sacramento region that gave no BS. I probably could have bargained for a better deal but had a trade in I wanted to get rid of.

BTW, the dealer told me the price on the 09 TSX went up on January 1 by a couple of hundred dollars.

09 TSX/w Tech (White/Parchment) for Invoice - $30,424
    Doc Fees - $55.00
    CA state Tire Fee - $8.00
    Tax - $2205.00
    DMV - $285

Now I know it is not the best deal but it was no haggling and they had to ind the car at another dealer in SF as they did not have my choice. This also saved me from having them put on the Pro Package for ~300 as the parts they put on do not add up to that. The reason I went with this deal is that I had a 1999 Honda Accord with 175K miles on it and they gave me $2500 for it which was about 600.00 above the Mannheim auction price that they showed me. Also, received the 2.9/60 Months with no BS from the finance guy. All-in-all not the best deal but I am happy with the trade in aspect as other dealers offered 500/800 for the car. We were semi interested in the 8 year 120,000 mile warranty but for 2400.00 it did not seem worth it. I woudl assume we can pick up the warranty at a later time but not sure what others are paying for the extended warranty.

BTW: The car rocks.
  • dwr3dwr3 Member Posts: 2
    I'm pulling the trigger for 27,000 - plus tax and license. Hoping for 26,750 but not worth my time playing the buying game for the 250 in the whole scheme of things.
  • whippbwhippb Member Posts: 2
    I did it! I got the car today and the price was the same as the salesman's email. My credit history is very short, so I didn't qualify for 2.9. I had to do a 7.79% loan instead. Oh well. I'm doing a lot of overtime at work, so hopefully I can pay off sooner than my 63 month schedule (there is no pre-payment penalty).

The Chevy Chase Acura team impressed me. I had a good buying experience. I'm 26 and this is my first car I have bought on my own. I loved driving home from the dealership today!
  • spedprofspedprof Member Posts: 16
    Folks,

I am reaching the end of my TSX 36 month lease on March 31 and expect to be about 1000 miles over my lease. As I plan to get a new TSX, am I likely to be able to get the dealer to eat that excess mileage? Also, is there general advice on getting the dealer to "pay" the last month on the existing lease and turning it in early? I'm not one that believes that you get any "gifts" from dealers.

Thanks
  • jags86jags86 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Everyone,

I just signed a lease for a 09 TSX tech 6mt. I went to DCH Acura in NJ. They are special ordering the car for me.

$1499 down (including $299 security deposit, no cap cost reduction...I should have had them break it down for me but didn't)
    $363.23 + tax 7% = $388.64/month
    39 months, 12,000 miles /year

I also got them to waive the fee for the first service/oil change.

I wanted them to pick up the last month on my lease of another car (300) but that was a no go :-/.

How'd I do?
  • dckiwidckiwi Member Posts: 9
    Just picked up an 09 TSX (black/black) with tech. The dealer started the negotiation at invoice ($30,224) but I got him down to $29,700, plus TTL and their 'processing fee' ($385).

They also gave me a fair deal on my trade-in.

I got the 0.9% financing for 36 months - only about $250 interest on the entire loan :)

Two days in and I am loving this car.
  • mittbbmittbb Member Posts: 8
    Both Acuras in Valley Stream and Bayshore (NY) quoted me $26,900. Don't think you'd want to make the drive up from Florida to do make that deal. ;)
  • griphongriphon Member Posts: 5
    Just got online quote of 2009 TSX

They are saying $25,888 which is well below invoice (plus tax, fees, and all the rest)

What should I do? Do you think I get a lease off that price?
  • jags86jags86 Member Posts: 8
    Here are the exact terms of my lease for anyone who is wondering

39 month tsx tech 6sp 12k/year

sale price 28,820 + 760 destination

due at signing
    299 security
    388 first month payment
    595 acquisition
    217 motor vehicle fees and "doc fees"

362/month + tax = 388
  • cmasterchoecmasterchoe Member Posts: 1
    I just got off the phone with Mick Williams from the same Chevy Chase Acura. After crunching the numbers here's their offer for TSX with Tech:

Invoice ($30,224) - $500 - $750 (dealer cash incentive) = $28,974 (subtotal)

+ 228 (TTL) + 100 (processing fee) + 6% Tax (Maryland) ($1738.44) = $31,040.44

I'm surprised that sales tax for whippb was only $887.22?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Sales tax in VA is 3.17%, I think...

You pay tax where you register the car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bobbatoobobbatoo Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested to know how your're going to pay for this deal. As I understand it, the .9% or 2.9% financing cannot be combined with the $750 dealer cash incentive. It may be better to forego the $750.
    Got an email today from Chevy Chase that says they're doing $25,981 for a base and $28,814 on the Tech package...(after all dealer incentives)

Here is the link.

http://chevychasecarsspecials.homestead.com/AcuraTSX.html

The best I could do was $26,200 when I bought mine (back on Dec 1) for a base.
  • bobbatoobobbatoo Member Posts: 2
    Looks like those 2 prices are "plus" destination! :cry:
    Looks like those 2 prices are "plus" destination

Looks like you need to add $760 destination plus a $100 "processing fee" - whatever that is!

So $25,981 quickly becomes $26,841

and $28,814 becomes $29,674

Would you be suprised if you got down there and they also installed the pro package at a hefty mark-up also? And of course this isn't included in the advertised price.
  • vin2ridevin2ride Member Posts: 4
    Does the $25,888 include destination? I received several non-TECH quotes around $27,000 here in CA. I'd pull the trigger and buy at $26k or a TECH at $28k.
  • padresfreak01padresfreak01 Member Posts: 2
    What FICO score range would land the advertised .9 and 2.9% interest rates?
  • thedac84thedac84 Member Posts: 4
    The finance guy at Acura said above 700 gets it (i was a little under 800), but i have also financed with Honda in the past, which he said usually seals the deal regardless of the fico score if you were in good standing.
  • thedac84thedac84 Member Posts: 4
    I got the tech with pro package for $29,300 + $425 destination + $292 licensing fees.

Ended up being $30,017 before financing/taxes/lojack. I think i could have done better but a lot of Acura Dealerships in SoCal are not really willing to make sweet deals. I had two dealerships literally tell me to walk because i wanted $29,000 or the other two kept me there for hours telling me why they couldnt do it. I finally caved...at 29,300 + fees.

The car really is amazing, but i already miss my BMW. Anyone wanna buy my tech off me? Something tells me i'm heading back to BMW soon, i miss my coupe. :-p
  • padresfreak01padresfreak01 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info regarding FICO score. That sounds good. I wonder what kind of interest rate I could get for a 6 year loan with above 700 FICO. Which dealership in SoCal did you score the deal of 29,300? I'm in San Diego and was wondering if anyone has received any quotes from the dealership in SD. I don't want to submit quote requests until I am ready to buy.
  • sushi1sushi1 Member Posts: 2
    Got my 2009 TSX with Tech. today Acura of Sunnyvale. It's a dealership located in the Bay Area in California. Negotiated over the internet (highly recommended), went in for a test drive, and bought the car.

OTD Price: $32,050.54
    Quoted Price (incl. destination): $29,296.31
    Doc + License Fee: $332.75
    Tax (8.25%): $ 2,421.48

I hope this help others get a good deal. :)