Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gpb59gpb59 Member Posts: 106
    I was looking for the dealership in Phoenix you mentioned
  • joe0302joe0302 Member Posts: 16
    You think they would be in this economy. :confuse:
  • pobs23pobs23 Member Posts: 3
    i just went back to the dealership today. the agent told me that the deal was for 3 days ago and that the agent sold 6 cars today and can not make the deal anymore. i have lost trust in that dealership. i really hate when people change what they say, negotiating is fine, but going back on your word is just bad.

anyway what is a fair price for the 2009? what about 2010?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    For future reference, you should know that dealers are much more anxious to make a deal at the end of the month (or better yet, quarter or year) to bump up the number of cars for the month/quarter/etc to get bonuses.

You'll get the best deal at the end of the month on a rainy Wednesday evening.

Saturday, August 1, not so much.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • claweaveclaweave Member Posts: 25
    What are the 8/2009 money factor and residual % for 3yr/15k lease? Any loyalty perks for current Acura lessees?
  • yungsuyungsu Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know what the manheim price is for a 2006 TSX with Navigation, manual transmission and 30K miles? Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Hi!

Try posting your question here: Real-World Trade-In Values

We have a few members who will look up the value for you..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roubaudroubaud Member Posts: 80
    Just got a grigio / ebony tsx base tech for $32,000 and change in the midwest (it was $31,700 but it came with a protection package we negotiated down a bit). Lease special started at $389, 10k miles per year, and with no downpayment (did have $1100 first month, tax, destination, doc fee to pay) and a high state tax monthly payments are just shy of $500 (thought about doing a loan, but didn't want to drop 20% down). So far we're very pleased with the car, though the bluetooth does not seem to work as well with ambient noise--lawn mower, high a/c, occasional rough road noise--hope this improves). Know that if we lived in CA or something could've maybe got the car for invoice. Also could've bought a 2009 for at least 2k less but didn't want any possible first year kinks, so hope to avoid those, and the reported engine rattling.

And sell your old car on Craig's List! Within 3 hours we had an offer on a car that is certainly well over-represented on the used car market. We did much better than the dealer could offer.

After 5 months of looking we finally got a car, thanks Edmunds forums for helping us research the options.
  • tbenson81tbenson81 Member Posts: 25
    Can I ask why you opted for the 2010 when you are leasing? The 2009 is the exact same car and the first year problems are so few and far between and even if you did experience one, it is all covered under warranty. 2,000 bucks is a lot of cash to pass up.

Tony
    It was a tough decision--we really went back and forth on this. The closest dealer is 1 hour away (we drove 3 to another dealer to get the 2010), so if we had several issues come up with some frequency, it would be hard for us--especially given the time-involved professions we are in. I've also read a lot about engine noise problems (sounds like a ball in a spray paint can rattling around loudly), blue tooth connectivity issues, and other small things we just didn't want to deal with, and hopefully won't. Yes, 2k less might mean $50 or more per month less, but the 2010 provides a certain piece of mind--Acura or not.
  • yungsuyungsu Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the suggestion kyfdx, I posted my question in Real....Values and already got one response.
  • phamjphamj Member Posts: 13
    I purchased a 2010 TSX Base/Tech Grigio/Ebony recently (Jul 29). I sent quote request to 8 dealers in Southern CA area. I received 6 quotes in email from $29.6K to $31.8K and the other 2 dealers would match or beat the lowest quote I got. I went with the dealer closest to where I live since they matched the $29.6K quote + give me the all-season floor mats and 2 comp oil changes.
    I declined their offer for Acura Extended Warranty for $1600 (7yrs/100K/ $0 deductible)
    I later purchased the same policy on line for $1160.

I traded my wife's 97 Ford Explorer (Cash for Clunker) so the OTD price for the TSX was $29.2K. Now my wife took my 05 Honda Pilot because she likes driving SUV, and I ended up driving the TSX. :=))
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    Hey Phamj,

Where did you purchase the same policy for $1160? I also (well for my mom) just got a new TSX and they offered the extended warranty, but for $1750 which we turned down but are still interested. Did you buy it just through Acura's website? Either way, looks like you got a great deal! We only talked to one dealer about 2010's and they said the best they could do is 1k under MSRP, but we were set on 09 anyways.

Details on our deal from our Socal dealer:

2009 TSX with Tech White Exterior/Parchment Interior
    had quotes ranging from 28.4 to 29.5, some dealers said they had no 09 left.
    Final Price: 28.4k
    OTD: 31.4k
    They tried to lowball the trade-in, but eventually came around. Unfortunately, I would consider the trade-in a clunker, but the MPG were too high on it.

Funny thing, was at Carmax yesterday too. Saw an 09 TSX with 14k miles on it and no nav.....yet still cost 28,900!
    Check out http://www.curryacuracare.com/

The listed price for my policy was about $1200 but I used a coupon for $105 off (they send out promotional coupon via email periodically). I suggest you wait for the coupon then buy.

I also bought extended warranty for my 05 Pilot and that time the Honda dealer agreed to match the price when I showed them the Curry Price list.

Hope this helps.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    hear from those who paid anything more than $1.87 for an extended warranty on a Honda product & actually used it. What part or system failed? How much would it have cost to get fixed without the warranty? What did it actually end up costing (was what broke covered?)?

Enquiring minds would like to know.

Part of why I bought a TSX was that I felt 100% confident that I was highly unlikely to need to get anything expensive fixed, or anything at all, really.

I'm 23K miles and 17 months in, and have taken the car back to dealer exactly zero times. Others in our extended family have Hondas with anywhere from 143K to 285K miles with no serious problems.

Save your money -- don't buy an extended warranty.

Unless, of course, people post here regarding why it was such a great idea when XXX broke.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I agree with you that Honda and Acura are highly reliable products. Can we say with 100% certainty that nothing will go wrong with these vehicles in 7yrs and 100K miles?

It's a rather personal choice .. it's a trade off between having a comfort feeling for 7yrs versus the cost. For me, $1200 for 3 additional yrs --> less than $40 per month.

If the cost for extended warranty were much higher I would have had second thought.

By the way, my 05 Pilot with 55K miles hasn't had any problem.

Cheers!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I'm interested in purchasing a 2010 Acura TSX/Tech/Automatic. I plan on trading in my 1990 BMW 325i (18 mpg combined) as a "clunker" for a $3500 rebate toward the purchase price of the TSX. About 3 weeks ago, I walked into Curry Acura (Scarsdale, NY) and inquired about a TSX. The salesman almost immediately offered a test drive. Drove the car and was very impressed. I told him I'd have to wait to see what was going on with the Cash 4 Clunkers program & have my wife come and drive the car. He never took any of my contact info down.

The next week, I took my wife to the dealer so she could drive the car as it will be hers as of the end of July 2010 when the lease on her '07 X3 is up. The salesman takes our contact information. We get a follow-up call the next day & tell him we still have some other cars to test drive before we make our decision.

This past Tuesday I go with my wife who wants to test drive the TSX again just to make sure. She really likes it.

With the Board of Directors (my wife's) approval, it's a go.

I call the salesman back today and leave a message. He calls me back and I ask him some questions about the dealership & the service department, then I ask him how much for the car? I want to buy it wither this weekend or early next week (in order to take advantage of cash 4 clunkers) He tells me that his boss doesn't really like to give quotes out over the phone. He keeps asking me to "come down & we'll talk." I told him that I've been there 3 times already and that I'm a serious buyer. Please let me know the price and fax me a credit app. I'll give you a credit card deposit over the phone to hold the car. He tells me he'll talk to his boss and he'll call me back. Maybe he'll call tomorrow.

I also called Acura of Bedford Hills. The salesman I spoke to on the phone was very professional & knowledgable. He balked when I asked him the price. He told me to get a price from Curry (the aforementioned dealership) & he'll match it.

What gives here? Is it that offensive to ask someone for a quote over the phone? I sell plumbing supplies and field calls like this all day. I sell basically the same major products as every other Plumbing Supply in New York City. I'm very frustrated :mad:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    my whole experience, I didn't get a quote over the phone period. I basically just requested quote through this edmunds thing.....then I just simply never answered my phone.

Some gave quotes right away.
    Some said "we'd like to talk about your vehicle, we will be contacting you shortly" when they did call...usually within the hour, I just let it go to voicemail. Then a few hours later I'd get an email saying "We missed getting you by phone, please contact us as soon as possible." I would then reply to that email asking for a quote and I'd get it soon enough.

Maybe its just me, but I'd rather get the quote via email over the phone so in the case they try to change something, I have it in writing. If they tried to give me a quote on the phone, I would listen to it, but I would simply say "Can you please email me as well? I can't write it down right now" and most dealers would say, "sure I'm sending it as we speak"

Good luck in your search. Either way, I'd get a quote from one of them and say "can you beat this?" (not match it) That way, you can then go back to the original dealer "He beat your quote, got a better offer?"

As for the extended warranty thing. Warranty is more of a peace of mind thing to me than anything. I really hope I never have to use it because then that means I had times that something wasn't working correclty or time lost. The reaseon I'm considering is not for the engine or driving parts. Its more that I'm worried about the Nav and all the computer stuff.
  • dc76dc76 Member Posts: 3
    Got an offer for a private party sale, 2009 TSX TECH, 22K miles, manual for $24,000, excellent condition.

Is this a good deal or do you think I could do better with the 2010s becoming more available?
    I'm picking up a 2010 TSX Tech w/ Automatic next week for $31,450 at DEVAN ACURA in Norwalk, CT. The best price I got was from ACURA of WESTCHESTER $30,900 ($300 over invoice). I'm getting the car in Norwalk even though it is further because I'm getting a $3500 cash for clunkers credit from my 1990 BMW 325i. They actually signed up for the program just to sell me a car.

DEVAN ACURA & ACURA of WESTCHESTER were both professional, knowledgeable, & courteous over the phone. They gave me great prices.

If you live in Westchester, whatever you do, STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM CURRY ACURA AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• feenagledfeenagled Member Posts: 5
    I have been looking through the posts and have seen some folks getting $4.5-$5 off of MSRP. Can anyone validate this from a dealer near western Pennsylvania? I'd like to get a car this week, and I'd like to find a great dealer to start with.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    I test drove a very similar car last week and offered 21,900 to the seller (25K miles) - he had it listed at 25,500 (since lowered to 24,200). The trade-in value of such a car is somewhere between 19-21K so unless you are in an area with lots of folks willing to plunk down 20+K cash for a car you are competing against dealer trade in prices not private party prices.
  • dc76dc76 Member Posts: 3
    Wow, did your offer get accepted? That would be a fantastic price.

I don't want to put in too much of a lowball offer and insult the seller. I was going to put in an offer at $23,000, but after seeing your offer maybe $22,000 would be ok?
  • gkg680gkg680 Member Posts: 25
    I'm in the market for a new TSX, possibly a manual. I keep my cars a long time, because I hate going to dealerships. I have thought for many years, that cars ought to be like shirts or bags of potato chips, you have a retail price and a sale price, everyone pays one or the other.

I would like to ask if any of you ladies and gentlemen have strong feelings yea or nay about Chicago area dealerships. I believe strongly in word-of-mouth recommendations. I've contacted one dealer, whose website says "Request A Quote". So far, all they said in their reply was, "When can you come out?"

Would anyone care to relate their experiences? Thanks.
  • tempo68tempo68 Member Posts: 2
    elny

Did you have any luck with the Long Island dealers? I'm starting to look now.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well I was calling around yesterday, dealers were less than helpful, in fact down right harsh. They stated no one here on edmunds is getting the kind of deals I have seen here. This includes the accord! They were only willing to "discount" from msrp. No car is selling just at msrp. They told me it would cost nearly $500mth for an accord exl v6 no nav lease. Heck no!

Cash for clunkers sounds pretty, but ends up a little sour on the back end. Keeping pricing high.

Whew! Who knew that just getting quotes would get you so much trouble. The salesmen was down right rude! Even Acura had that status ego! Be careful!
  • camry_chicamry_chi Member Posts: 14
    I have to agree. I am in the market for a TSX w/tech and it's nearly impossible to even get a quote out of the dealers here in and around New Jersey.

Seems like they really made a killing on the clunkers program.
  • sr_shahsr_shah Member Posts: 16
    I got 2-3 email quotes from various dealers in central NJ via Edmunds. The lowest was $29,998 for '10 Acura TSX 4 cyl with Tech pkg (excl destination) from Springfield. The others were between 30.5k-31.5k.
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    I get leery when I see quotes that separate out the destination. The destination is part of the fricken price of the car.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • edfan1edfan1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi The best price quote I received for a 2010 TSX 4 cyl Automatic Base was 28300 + doc fee 600 + TTL. Is this a good price? appreciate any feedback
    The best price I was able to get over the phone was from Acura of Westchester (Larchmont, NY). The guy offered to sell me the car for $30,900 right off the bat which works out to about $300 over invoice ($30,612).

The price I put a deposit on was $31,450 ($838 over invoice) from Devan Acura in Norwalk, CT.

There are A LOT of Acura dealers out there who sold lots of cars to cash 4 clunkers buyers and are waiting for their money and won't seel TSXs for clunkers anymore.

Raylle Acura (Roslyn, Long Island), Ramsey Acura (Northern NJ), Park Avenue Acura (Northern NJ), & Curry Acura (Scarsdale, NY) have all stopped participating in the cash 4 clunkers program due to the insane amount of paperwork & the fact they haven't gotten paid at all from the gov't.

My deal with Devan hangs on the fact that they are (and have been for 2 weeks) trying to sign up to be a Cash 4 Clunkers dealer. I don't think it is going to happen & it looks like I'm not going to get a TSX.

• biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    No, but I didn't think he would. He said Carmax offered 24K which is hard to believe. I have the luxury of not really needing a car and being able to wait for a really good deal.

I think there will be another round of discounts now that C4C is over.
  • cheeenacheeena Member Posts: 1
    Those were great offers! I'm also interested in buying a 2010 TSX but haven't got good offers like these yet...

Were these the final price, including the taxes and dmv registration fee as well?
    No, just negotiated prices.

The best quote I have received so far is

31,200 (including destination) + TTL

For my case (NJ tax, new plates), it comes out to 33,783 OTD.

It is 2010 TSX with tech. 4 cylinder, Auto tranny.

Is it good?
    That's about what I paid for mine a few weeks ago in Nebraska (33,200 OTD). I've seen folks on the west coast get it for 2-3k less, but who knows what the east coast is like. I figure here in the Midwest I was lucky to just see a 2010 tech and was willing to pay for it to avoid any potential first model year glitches (and 10 days after buying the car another dealer had the same color / model I wanted, but who can predict the future? Coulda had a slightly better deal I bet).
    Thanks roubaud !

It may be a silly question, but do the car companies wait for the second year to fix the glitches of the first model year? Can't they (or don't they) fix it later in the same year?

I ask this because I have been seriously considering 2009 TSX as well. That could potentially save me about $3 k.
    Well, I waited too long & found an Acura dealer willing to take my clunker in & sell me a 2010 TSX TECH for $32,112 ($1500 over invoice). Even paying $600 more than the dealer in CT wanted, I still come out ahead getting a $3500 credit for my 1990 325i.

• gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    Trying to get a 2010 TSX 4cyl w/Tech Blk and Tan out there in Western PA and have been told have to wait until end of September or mid October? Anybody drive the V6 yet? Is there that much of a difference? Please provide any quotes you are getting. Thanks
    The V6 does have way more zip to it, but why pay $5,000 more for it? Why not get an Infiniti G37 then, or as some argue (though it's ugly) the TL? Please help everyone stick it to Acura and don't buy a way overpriced V6 TSX.

I recently purchased a 2010 tech 4cyl grigio / black and told there wouldn't be one in the midwest until October, then a week later two dealers had one--the same dealers that said October.
  • aak1aak1 Member Posts: 13
    2010 Acura TSX, Base, Auto trans., Gregio, Ebony interior. – 8/26/09
    Location – Bay area, California.

Sorry for being so detailed, but since so many people helped me out, I want to return the favor and provide the most information for a would-be-buyer.

Pricing research: I used all the standard sites, many still had 2009 data which complicated things since for a period there was the $1250 marketing ‘rebate’ and they were selling 2009’s below invoice to clear them out. User forums are also difficult as people post and don’t clarify if its with Dest or not, the TTL, and “OTD” price. Plus their options etc. I found getting a solid ‘market price’ to be very difficult.

I settled on an Invoice price of 26,959, plus Dest of $810 and TTL. I’m not including their dealer hold back of 2%. I consider that their profit. My goal was to get close to invoice.

Trying to get a quote:

We tried the Costco program and the dealer contacted us and gave us an email and voice quote of $750 over invoice, plus Dest, TTL. (But they didn’t have our color combo)
    We emailed all the other bay area dealers and only 1 gave an email quote, the rest wanted to call us etc. “come on down” type thing.

Since we were serious, we called all the dealers (8+) and most gave us a quote of $1100 over invoice plus Dest, TTL. Some others were very coy and wouldn’t commit to a price over the phone. The $1100 over invoice dealers didn’t have the car though, but said that wasn’t a problem and they could get it from another dealer who had it. They also were very hard to pin down on “OTD price”, as in “TTL and fees” were very vague. I recommend anyone who gets quotes ask for a breakdown and total out the door price. I’m always concerned about getting a price, and showing up and there’s $500 extra in “fees” added to the end. I feel if you push a dealer to a very low price, they’ll always surprise you with hidden fees at the end, depending on how much extra stuff you buy from them. (ie they need other ways to make $).

We finally called Hopkins Acura in Redwood City and they gave us the same $1100+- over invoice price right away. They also had the exact color combination I wanted. After talking for a few min, we told them we wanted invoice, and finally offered to split the difference. They agreed to $625 over invoice.

Dealership: Hopkins Acura, Redwood City, CA.

Price paid:

Invoice: $26,959
    Dest: $810
    Dealer markup above “invoice”: $625
    Splash Guards & Wheel locks: $189.05 (I choose these 2 items and didn’t negotiate more)

Car Total: $28 583.05

Doc fee: $55
    Tax: $2505.83
    License: $328
    California Tire fee: $8.75
    Smog abatement fee: $20

Total out the door: $31568.63

Factors affecting price/negotiating:
    - We only had 1 car and needed the 2nd car. We could have rented one for a while, but at $200/week, but negotiating over $500 becomes a waste.
    - Cash for Clunkers was in it’s last weekend, and dealers were very busy. If we had waited until the next weekend, we probably could have gotten a better deal.
    -Cash for Clunker sales in August probably helped most dealers reach their quotas and sold out so much inventory that dealers weren’t that willing to negotiate. The TSX was also the main car that qualified since it has the highest MPG in the Acura family.
    -Because I only wanted a specific color combo, there were only 2 of my car in the northern cali market. We called every dealer and verified ourselves the 2 dealers that had the 2 cars (total of 2 cars). Every other dealer said they “could get it” from those dealers.
    By calling 8+ dealers, it also tipped our hand and it is unknown whether or not the other dealers could really get it from the 2 dealers. Waiting for more inventory wasn’t optimum for us. So yes, we rushed it vs. shopping for 2-3 weeks.
    -Some dealers had 2009s and they were very willing to sell them for a lower price. We could have waited until January and could have gotten a better deal.

There’s always a ‘better deal’ if you want to wait forever for the perfect month, incentive and end of month. I think the above factors all contributed to the price. I’m sure in 3 months you can get one at invoice.

Interest rate: Honda only had 3.9% on the 2009 TSX, and I only wanted a 2010. Therefore we agreed to 4.49 via Honda Finance. The difference vs 3.9% is a few dollars per month. The banks and credit unions were all at 4.25% rate, so I didn’t want to shop around. (We have excellent credit, so your rates may vary).

Got to the dealer, and everything was 100% as they had promised on the phone. There were no surprises, and that alone is worth $300. They respected us when we declined their 400 ‘extras’ (Rust protection, fabric guard etc).. From start to finish the entire transaction took 45 min. The fastest new car purchase ever.

We had to come back to pick up the car cuz it needed to be detailed and the splash guards put on.

I didn’t know the splash guard were color matched, I thought they were going to be simple rubber black ones. But these ones are pretty nice and have the same paint color on them.

We arrive at the dealership and the car is parked in the show room! Nice touch! We got to inspect the car and do all of our ‘stuff’ to it while in the comfortable show room and then they drove it out and it was mine. It meant we didn’t have to stand outside in the heat, and also meant the clean car stayed ‘clean’ until we picked it up. Was a very strange feeling inspecting the car inside, and then its yours (in a good way).

Final paperwork was also very quick. They took the time to review everything with us. Programmed the blue tooth to the phones, XM etc.

I highly recommend them.

Things about the TSX / most impressive things:

-XM radio is nice… I wish it was cheaper/month. $5/mo would have me hooked.
    - Hands free talking is AMAZING. Everyone needs this by law. I have the jawbone headset, and it’s a pain vs the integrated Acura system. It worked like a charm. Felt very safe driving and talking like that vs fussing with a wireless headset.
    - If the doors are unlocked you can open the trunk with the little hidden button, that’s a nice touch.
    - Fuel release is also nice, just push it instead of pulling a lever.
    - Little side storage area near your knee is nice.
    - Stock radio sounds good.
    - Handling is good, haven’t pushed it yet. Feels better than my 04 tsx.
    - Suspension is nice.
    - Seats are wider and comfy
    - Lighting at night is nice (gauges, key).
    - Car feels bigger in the back seats. Feels a tad bigger in the front. Much more rear legroom as well (and hip/shoulder room).
    - Trunk is smaller than 04 tsx and less useable room (why??)
    - Very nice looking from the front and the back. The grill works, the fog lights are nice. Back is nice. Grill could be a tad smaller, but it’s ok. Car really looks substantial and aggressive. Does not look like the 04 TSX that totally blend
    I was all set to purchase my 2010 TSX with Tech package today. I had a quote from the dealer that I liked (OTD price with complete details), and 3 potential VIN numbers to choose from. And I had my own financing arrangement.

I was going to decline any options, extended service or anything else the dealer was going to offer me.

We exchanged 23 emails back and forth, clarifying each point. I felt a bit confident that I have removed all ambiguity from the "quoting" process and I should be able to get what I want at a good price.

But of course, it is for no reason that car buying is amongst the most undesirable retail experiences in America :-)

I went in to the dealership, picked the color (one of three VINs) and started filling out the paper work. That's when the "internet sales person" went and came back. "There's a little problem". I knew right then it was time to leave. "When Joe gave me the price, he gave it for TSX base - not with tech package". I started packing my stuff, and she brought her manager. Who came with the regular "concerned" look on his face. "I am sorry for the misunderstanding". I said no problem and walked out.

I had driven 55 miles to go to the dealership, and I work very hard on the weekdays. So of course wasting my Saturday morning for this dealership's unscrupulous practices was a problem. But I didn't feel like making a fool of myself, make noise and waste more time there.

The dealership was Elite Acura at Maple Shade, NJ

I am sure it must be illegal to advertise a price in an email and then not honor it. But I don't really have time to explore my hunch.
    After my experience at Elite Acura, I went to the second dealership that I also had the quotes from in an email. The quote wasn't particularly competitive, but no worse than the rest. It was on my way home, and I decided to walk in.

I went to the "internet sales manager" and said that I am ready to make the purchase. He went back to look for my details, printed out the quote that he had given me on the email.

When he came back, instead of talking with me, he handed me over to a regular sales person. I did not feel comfortable with the hand over, but went along anyway.

He asked me if I have taken a test drive. I said no. He took me to his desk, said someone else is taking a test drive right now and we need to wait.

Then he said he has only been working there for 2 months, and that he may not know answers to all questions. Another standard red flag.

He then started asking me for my phone numbers and home address. I asked him why does he need that information, "because I need to look you up". I said the one phone number that I had been using to contact them in the past should be enough.

Then he started asking me other irrelevant questions. I asked him where are we going with this Q/A? He said "we're just waiting for the test drive". I said I don't even want a test drive. I know which car I want and I have the price you offered me. "What else do we need?"

He then said that the car is back and we can take the test drive. That's when I became very uncomfortable. There was no other customer at the dealership besides myself. And I had been looking out the window the whole time. There was not a single car that came in the whole time I sat there.

I said I don't want a test drive, just show me the colors you have and I'll pick one. He kept insisting on the test drive, but I firmly declined it.

He finally showed me one car, in one color. There wasn't any other, but "we can locate it". My response "Thank you, but I don't like to use the locating service". Some more attempts by "managers" to explain me that's the way it works. But I had already spent too much time for my own comfort at auto dealerships for a day. I needed to get out, and that's what I did.
    Holy crap! Car buying is, yes, the worst worst worst retail experience ever. I get sick walking into a car dealership. And that works against me I suppose. I've never heard of a dealership--esp an Acura dealership--trying so hard to work themselves out of a sale. I drove 3 hours to get my TSX tech, and besides that wasted Saturday, it was a dream--very professional, very Acura (I owned an Integra for 9 years long ago). Good luck! (Maybe it's worth trying to get one trucked in from somewhere? I got my other car, a Benz, off ebay from a dealer in Arizona.)
    I doubt people who negotiate on the internet would fall for a trick like the one Elite Acura was trying to play on me. I was wondering why was that ill paid sales person wasting her time emailing me back and forth, if the trick wasn't going to work anyway.

And then it clicked to me. Throughout the email process, she kept asking me to send across my details so she can "keep the paper work ready". That way I can be "in and out in a minute". Since I knew the VIN and the price, that was an easier trap to fall into.

Now I feel a little better despite a wasted weekend. It could've been worse :-)
  • sounds_goodsounds_good Member Posts: 27
    Anyone think that Acura will have any special incentives soon for a 2010 TSX?

Not on a lease, but on a purchase.
  • 1bythesea1bythesea Member Posts: 52
    I've had my 2010 TSX Base for almost 2 weeks and purchased for $200 over invoice.
    Honestly, I did not think I'd get that close to invoice with the car only having been on the lot about 2 weeks. Then I got to thinking...the salesperson was still making a very good profit on holdback. (3% of base MSRP) Generally, after 90 days holdback is eaten up in dealer costs to finance the vehicle on the lot. At 45 days the holdback is cut in half. Also, keep in mind new car sales are down compared to used car sales. So you should be able to strike a pretty good deal on a 2010 purchase now.
  • sounds_goodsounds_good Member Posts: 27
    The lowest quote I've gotten so far on a Base level 2010 TSX is $27,769.00 + $699 dealer fee which is $28,468 (plus tax, of course). How much better should I be able to do?

EDIT -- Better question: if my tax rate is 6%, what's the best I can expect to see as an out-the-door grand total price on a Base level 2010 TSX?

Thanks! :)
  • itguy79itguy79 Member Posts: 4
    Figured I'd just put up a post about my recent purchase of my '06 TSX w/Navi and 32K miles. Dealership listed it for 21,980....I paid 20K even. Based upon dealing with multiple Acura dealerships in my area, this was the best I could do. Also, the car was certified. Location..suburbs of Chicago. Love this car.
    These cars have INSANE resale value. Not that we're planning to get rid of ours anytime soon (Black/Black TSX TECH w/ Automatic). We just picked it up on Saturday.

We paid $32,112 + taxes & fees for our car. We paid a little on the high side because we were able to utilize a $3500 cash 4 clunkers rebate. Island Acura, Wantagh, NY.

I was quoted $30,900 by Acura of Westchester & $31,450 by Devan Acura, Norwalk, CT.