Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Is your 2.5L Duratec V6, manual or automatic?
  • yzassandy82yzassandy82 Member Posts: 16
    Just wanted to give you some perspective. I previously owned an 04 Focus ZX5 with the 2.3 liter engine (slightly detuned from the current tuning in the Fusion) and an auto trans. I absolutely loved it. With that in mind, I recently test drove a Fusion with the 2.3 and an auto trans and I can tell you that it was hardly a slouch. While I will agree with others that the engine is a bit loud at both full and near full throttle, it quiets down very quickly. In fact, my boyfriend test drove the vehicle with me and is now in the process of purchasing one.

Hope this helps!?!
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Not sure if you were really driving a car with the 2.0L Duratec.

The Focus did not receive this engine until the 2005 Model Year.

If the Focus you drove wasn't a 2005 or 2006 then it had either a 2.0L SPI engine which is from 1996 about 110hp and 127 lbft of torque. This engine was very unrefined but is adequate thanks to its descent torque rating.

The optional engine in the pre 05 Focus was the 2.0L Zetec engine putting out 130hp and 130 lbft of torque. This engine was from Ford of Europe but prolly built in Mexico or Brazil.

The current 2.0L Focus engine is a Mazda design from a clean sheet and not related to any previous Ford Engine.

The 2.3L in the Fusion is from the same engine family and is basically the bigger brother. Because this engine features variable valve timing among other enhancements, it puts out 160hp and 160 lbft of torque and should provide similar performance to the 2.5 Mystique that you drove. It may even be better thanks to the addition of the 5 speed automatic transmission.

Mark.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I think the green states got the Duratec early. I know in California we got the 2.3 PZEV Duratec in 2003 in the hatchbacks, although they continued the dismal 2.0 SPI engine in the sedans.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I have 2003 Focus SE (sedan) with 2.3 PZEV
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Resale value will probably be affected much by the name change. Resale may be hurt when the new engine comes out after the name change and the smaller engine becomes less desirable.
    Typical Lincoln sedan is poor anyway. You will be better off with a Lexus or BMW or even a Honda if you have any cares concerning resale.
  • mystiquemystique Member Posts: 24
    It was a V6 automatic, and it was a lot of fun. The focus I had was an 05' rental.
    Then you'll enjoy the 2.3 I-4 much more. The 2.5L Duratec was fun engine, during it's time, unfortunately the automatic transmission mated to it, zapped the majority of the fun. It was always zippier in manual form.

You will enjoy similar experience with the 2.3L, and it's actually quicker than the old 2.5L (mainly because of gearing in the transmissions, and quicker shift micro-processors). Actually the new 2.3L puts out the same power as the old 2.5L as someone mentioned above.

The Focus rental you probably had (as with most rental vehicles) was the base engine 2.0L.
    Sorry the car is just so anonymous looking that it just screams rental.

Now the Fusion looks great :)
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Sure - by about a billion parsecs.
  • sallessalles Member Posts: 1
    Tonight for the first time I noticed that their was light coming from my headlights being shoned on homes to the left and right just forward of the vehicle at about 15-20 ft. off the ground. It appears that the reflected mirror surface on the inner side of the headlight housing is reflecting the light up on to the buildings, etc.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    They are both cars, but otherwise the Fusion is far better looking than the rounded lump G35 sedan.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Huh? :confuse:
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Sorry, not much of a resemblance. Fusion has more straight edges than the G35.
    Yeah I think people are really reaching far to find similarities in cars today. If you look at the approx. 5,900,012 different cars on the road you will find similar cues on all of them. Its almost impossible to be 100% original, or make the car look, 100% original. The g35 was definitely not Ford's design inspiration, neither was the Honda Prelude, which in my oppinion is closer in headlight design than the G35. Look at the first gen toyota tundra vs the old f-150's. Or the camry vs. the taurus. Lets give credit where its due, the fusion is a great design!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I'll take the Milan's styling any day over the Fusion. Although I heard that it does give incredible shaves. Oh sorry, we are talking about cars here. :blush:
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    The new Camry looks like a Mazda 6.. Yet no mag writer seems to mention this.. Styling of the front grill is all Mazda..
    I agree, the last model camry had, in my oppinion, very similar design features as the taurus. The new camry looked "already done" to me but I couldn't figure why. It does look like the mazda 6 a bit.

I don't see much Mazda6 influence in the new Camry. The front grilles look pretty different.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Maybe you are looking for the Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread?

Our subject is pretty well defined here and it doesn't include the vehicles that aren't listed in the title... ;)
    After you put them face to face like that I think they are even more alike. The hood and front end angle in the shape of a triangle on both, headlights similar, lower fascia has 3 ports on both, if the grill on the camry had a dip on the lower part like the mazda's they would be identical
    Come on over to the Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread to continue this ...
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Is the 3.0-liter V-6 currently used in the Fusion the same Duratec unit found in the Escape, Freestyle and countless other Ford vehicles?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Is the 3.0-liter V-6 currently used in the Fusion the same Duratec unit found in the Escape, Freestyle and countless other Ford vehicles?

Basically, yes. But it's the most advanced version with Variable Cam Timing. Some (most) of the other versions don't use the VCT.
  • agbagb Member Posts: 1
    I own a 97 Ford Taurus. Had to have the head gaskets replaced on the 3 liter V6 Duratec at 115,000 miles.
    Also, coolant resevoir had hairline crack on bottom, causing slow leak no one could ever find. Guy in town handles all the Taurus repairs for the local rental company and found it right off.
    A co-worker drives a 2001 Sable. His car had exactly the same two problems.
    The mechanic who repaired mine said the inside of all the Taurus's (in my year range) rust.
    Also, the dash came unglued in my car and the black exterior trim cracked and faded. I found at the local rental, who rents 98 to 99 Taurus's, that they have the same problem. It doesnt affect how it runs, but hey, I paid for a car and took care of it. I don't think it should happen.
    Checking the internet, I've found lots of Taurus owners had the same exact problems, not to mention the interior lights staying on and window motor problems. Also, now (just recently) the radio comes on and plays when it wants to, not when I want it to. When it comes on, I can't cut it off or adjust the volume. When it is off, I can't get it to turn on.
    Keep in mind, I have always provided good maintenance to the inside and outside of this car.
    That being said, the car performs well and has great acceleration for only a 145hp engine. And other than the head gaskets, the alternator and coolant tank, I've had no other mechanical problems. And I've always like the style over the imports.
    Now I'm looking for a new car. I'm interested in the Ford Fusion or Mercury Milan. I test drove the Ford already and liked it. I truly wish to buy American. It's all I've ever owned. But now some Ford and Chevy's are made in Canada and Mexico, while more and more "imports" are made right here in the US, by US workers.
    And, to me, if you take care of a car these days, they should run great and look great to well over 150,000 miles.

I'm really struggling here. Can anybody give me a clue on whether the Ford quality has genuinely increased? Is the Fusion or Milan made in the US?

I really would rather buy from a US company. I hate sending money overseas, but nowadays I can't just assume that US car companies want to make the best quality car and will take care of me when it fails.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The Fusion, Milan and Zephyr are all three made in Mexico.
    There are 2 different 3.0L engines in the Taurus. 145 hp sounds like the Vulcan version, not the Duratec. FWIW LS owners have not reported any of the problems you mention with their 3.0L Duratecs, some of which are 6 years old and well over 100K miles.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    You purchase a Ford or Mercury product you are buying from a US company.
    The Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan, are assembled in Mexico using out sourced parts made just about anywhere, which is just about the same situation for any auto mfg..
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Previous post??? I see references to a post with my username, fsmmcsi - Style [fsmmcsi] Does Ford Still Have Quality Issues? When was this posted? I can't find it, and don't remember asking that question.
    9143 Fusions and 2371 Milans.

Funny, the Taurus is still Ford's best selling car......
    Just for the record, if the Taurus you owned has 145hp, thats not the 3.0 Duratec, that is the 3.0 Vulcan. The Duratec 30 is a DOHC engine that has out put of at least 200hp. The Vulcan is a push valve engine.

The Vulcan engine was has an alum. head, cast iron block. The different rates of expansion for these two metals when being heated can cause the head gasket to get squished out of the seam. This engine was designed in the early 80s.

The 3.0 Duratec is based on the 2.5 Duratec that was designed and premiered in Europe. It is all alum and uses several advanced manufacturring techniques. Although this engine was designed in the early 90s, it is very reliable.

Most people report problems with the Duratec 30 actually don't realize that they are talking about the Vulcan.

Mark
    It looks like agb replied to a post that you made over three months ago and added "Does Ford Still Have Quality Issues?" to the subject line. Here's a link to that post: agb, "Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan" #3084, 2 Mar 2006 2:10 pm. That was a reply to this post of yours: fsmmcsi, "Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan" #2589, 22 Nov 2005 9:08 pm.

That subject line has carried forward in a couple of replies to agb's post.
    Getting a bit off topic here, but I am curious as to where the Ford 3.8L fits in. This is also a 200 HP engine. Is this a variation of the Vulcan or the Duratec or something entirely different?
    When you have something to say that really doesn't have anything to do with the subject of a message to which you are replying, it would be a good idea if you either create a new thread (that option is available when you hit Reply) or wipe out the subject altogether and make it something more relevant to your thoughts.

When titles do not reflect the point of the message, it does get confusing to most members - even to your hosts!! ;)
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    "9143 Fusions and 2371 Milans.
    Funny, the Taurus is still Ford's best selling car..."

And the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis are still selling better than the new 500/Montego.

That should scare Ford.
    I guess I never really pay attention to what it says on the title line :). But thanks for the tip regarding the ability to change it, even for a reply.
    You are welcome! You can also just use the post box at the bottom of any page to start a new thread without ever hitting Reply.

And yeah, I realize that the format here is very different from most boards most folks are familiar with -- we all understand there can be some confusion and it's all good ... :P
    "Getting a bit off topic here, but I am curious as to where the Ford 3.8L fits in. This is also a 200 HP engine. Is this a variation of the Vulcan or the Duratec or something entirely different?"

Totally different from all the above. The 3.8L, which recently grew to 3.9L, and a cousin of it the 4.2L are another engine family which will die off in the next few years (about 2 years left). They are torquey units, but it's an older OHV design. The 3.8L suffered from head gasket issues in the mid 90's which was later rectified. Other than that, they were mostly bulletproof except it's just outdated and no longer competitive.
    I thought the 3.8L engine died with the 2004 Mustang. What offers that engine today?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    That should scare Ford.

Not at all. The Taurus is mostly sold to fleets and rental-car agencies. I bet less than 10% are sold to the general public. I'm sure the Fusion is out-selling the Taurus to Joe Customer, but not to Avis or Hertz.

The Crown Victoria is the ONLY rear-drive full-size sedan that's used by police officers here (upstate NY). About 90% of the State Troopers I've seen drive CV's (with a few Tahoes and late-model Mustangs and Camaros). The local Sheriff's and Police Departments all have CV's. In fact, the Police Dept. next to my office just had 4 brand-new CV's delivered to the garage last week, waiting for light bars and decals. Municipal agencies also use them as company vehicles as well.

I'm sure the Five-Hundred is out-selling the CV to Joe Consumer as well, but law-enforcement agencies are probably the only reason why Ford still produces the CV. Cops love the V8 RWD full-size sedan.
    If you are referring to the 3.8L "Essex" engine that was previously offered in the pre 1996 Taurus and was also standard in the Windstar and V6 Mustang, I forgot it on purpose.

That engine is basically TOTAL garbage compared to what else is available. That engine alot was responsible for massive amounts of problems with the head gasket. Supposedly these problems are fixed.

This engine still hobble on in the Freestar and is one of the reasons why the Freestar never had a chance. Why would anyone pay $30 to drive a van that had a motor that sounded like something from a 1970 Lawnboy when they could buy a Honda?
    Joe customer buys the Mercury Marquis over the Crown Vic. My current dealer which is a FLM dealer has about 12 or so GMQs on hand and no Crown Vics. My last dealer, Ford only, never had more than 3 Crown Vics on hand at a time. (Not counting the 400 CV PIs in the back lot)

Mark.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I thought the 3.8L engine died with the 2004 Mustang. What offers that engine today?

Why, the 2005 Mustang, of course! :P
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Why, the 2005 Mustang, of course!

'05 and beyond is the 4.0L from the Explorer.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Thanks for the correction.

I find it amazing that a sports car gets a truck engine and rear axle, while a truck gets independent rear suspension... :P
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I find it amazing that a sports car gets a truck engine and rear axle, while a truck gets independent rear suspension...

It's also worth noting that that same truck, the Explorer, can be had with the Mustang's V8 now. Albeit a slightly detuned version.

As for the live axle, the customer supposedly dictated that one. I'm getting one in just about a year's time and wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

Oh, and don't forget that the Ford GT uses a version of the F-150's 5.4L V8 too. But other manufacturers are guilty of the same thing. The Hemi comes to mind right off the bat.

One thing that won't make much sense, if it ever happens, is if the Fusion get's the new 250+ HP Duratec35 (In a non SE that is) and the Mustang doesn't. If that happens you'll see Fusions blowing the doors off of V6 Mustangs at stoplight races. Not so cool IMO.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Fusion fans/owners, potential buyers...feel the 3.5 is necessary for the Fusion?
    My feelings are save it for the larger vehicles like the Montego, Freestyle, ect.. Maybe a special Ford Fusion GT with the 3.5??
    What do you think? :)
    It makes sense but only in the AWD versions. 221 hp to the front wheels only is more than enough.

The mustang's 4.0L V6 only has 210 hp but it has 240 lb ft of torque and it's mostly available at lower RPM. The 3.5L has the same peak torque but I'm sure it's at a higher RPM.

The 3.5L will eventually replace the 4.0L but not until production capacity is fully ramped up which will take a few years.
    The 3.8L "Essex" is now found in the Freestar as a 3.9L, and it's 4.2L Cousin is available in the Monterey, and standard V6 in the F-150. I've mentioned previously or in other forums whats to become of these.

Upon the killing of the Freestar/Monterey in 2007, the engines will be discontinued as well. At that time a "people mover" will be introduced with the 3.5L V6, and there will be variations of that vehicle with a 4.4L V8.

The Mustang will be one of the last vehicles (if not the very last) that will implement the Duratec 3.5L. Mainly for logistics reasons. The engine will be surplanted in numerous other vehicles which REALLY need it such as the 500/Mtg/Freestyle. And as far as cost reasons, the 4.0L is far more inexpensive, than the Duratec35. Once the D35 ramps up and is economically viable, then it'll be placed in the Mustang.

The 4.2L in the F-150 will dropped after the 3.9L Essex as well. Their will be a more powerful standard engine that will replace it.

The Vulcan 3.0L will also die around this time. The last vehicle to carry it will be the Ranger, after the Taurus is laid to rest.

The new Duratec 35 is about the same size, and weight is the Duratec 3.0L, so expect it to replace those engines on vehicles with it. But again, it takes time to switch the factories from one engine, onto another..as well as the vehicles which you usually time at the redesign, or midlife cycle update.

The gasoline engine families will be kept to the 4 Cylinder varieties (which will carry the Duratec name)...the "Duratec" family of V6's as we know them, and the modular V8/10 (4.6L, 5.4L, 6.8L Tritons in some forms). The Powerstroke Diesels are another, which grows to 6.4L next year (and another which might not carry the name), And 2 other engines will be introduced after.