Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    I agree, the complaint that the shifter only has 'D' and 'L' is much ado about nothing. I mean when driving an automatic how many times do you use anything other than 'P', 'R' or 'D'? Complaining about that looks like they are just looking for something to complain about.

I also think that a gated shifter just makes it more difficult to shift.

However I do wish they would offer a manual in the V-6.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    But on the other hand Ford is first to market with a 6 speed automatic in this class and price range. It's always easy to nitpick any car, but overall Ford got most things right, especially when you consider the moderate out the door cost, no matter how equipped.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    The automatic shifter in the Fusion has got to be at the bottom of it's class. Non-gated. Only a Drive or Low option.

If you want gates, buy a manual transmission.

An automatic doesn't need gates, it just needs a clear path to shift, which it has. Besides, the shifter itself is a very minor part of the transmission as a whole. I'd rather have a creamy-shifting transmission than a "gated" shifter on a 4-speed that shifts harder than granite.
  • volk1volk1 Member Posts: 5
    I had read in another forum that the overall comfort level is improved with the leather seating option. This improvement is aside from whether someone prefers the feel of leather vs. cloth. It instead comes from the fact that Ford apparently puts more cushioning in the seats when leather is chosen. Did anyone compare the feel of the two materials before buying?
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I have owned Fords for years. I have always had at least one in my garage. I am planning on buying a new car this summer. Fusion was at the top of my list. This IIHS test has me re-thinking my choice. I am going to wait to see how the side air bags change the testing of this vehicle. I am looking at the SEL V6. My other two choices scored better with side air bags of course. I am however disappointed Ford didn't engineer this car to top notch safety standards. Ford corporate knew this test was going to happen and the results. They all should be fired!! yet another black eye for Ford... :sick:
    To the person who was saying Honda Accord/Toyota Camry without side air bags also scored poor, I believe you are correct also. This is yet another Ford bashing media campaign..
    One brightside.. Ford is going to make side airbags standard in this same model year.. I guess it is going to be a wait and see for me... :(
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Ford was not able to duplicate the right foot injury in the IIHS frontal offset crash, and that's the problem when you do just ONE test - the results are not necessarily repeatable. Ideally you'd do 10 or 20 crashes but that's too expensive. Ford tested it and it passed. IIHS tested it and it failed.

I seem to remember another car (Saab??) that failed one year and passed the next and when the IIHS congratulated the mfr on the upgrades they made they told them all they changed was the paint color. Go figure.

The Fusion is no less safe in the real world than any other car of the same size. It's nothing more than bad PR.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I do NOT believe that the Fusion is no less safe than any other car of the same size. If they were all the same, there would be no point in crash testing. Neither the insurance companies nor the Government would waste the time or the money if they were all the same.

They aren't.

The Fusion didn't do well. Particularly in the frontal crash, which will not be helped one iota just because side air bags suddenly become standard equipment.
    But you're basing that on ONE crash test. Not 5 or 10 or even 2. ONE test. Ford did the exact same test and got totally different results.

How many crashes in the real world exactly duplicate the test scenario? 1 out of 1000?

A side curtain equipped Fusion is just as safe as any other side curtain equipped Camry or Accord in a real life crash scenario. It's not like the passenger compartment folded in half or the engine wound up in the driver's seat.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A side curtain equipped Fusion is just as safe as any other side curtain equipped Camry or Accord in a real life crash scenario.

As an opinion, well, I disagree but you are entitled to it. As a statement of fact... what facts do you have to back it up? It would be real nice to see the actual test data on a side-bag-equipped Fusion. And soon we'll be able to do that. Then we'll have some facts. Note that there have been some side-bag/curtain-equipped cars that have NOT received a "Good" score on the IIHS side impact test. So just putting the bags in there is no guarantee of a good score.

Ford and every other automaker know that they get one shot at the IIHS test (but they can request a retest if they want to). Actually, Ford got two test runs on the frontal impact test. It is up to them to design the car so that the crash test results are replicable, with a high probabilty of success, within the conditions of the test. Many other automakers have managed to do this.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    While the IIHS did one test, Ford has probably done many simulations and actual tests. We may never know if the Ford results prior to the IIHS test for the right leg injury in the frontal offset test were borderline. However, the differenece between the IIHS result and Ford's test after the IIHS test indicate that either the design of the car is borderline for the right leg injury prevention, or either the Ford or the IIHS test was not conducted properly.

backy, I completely agree - other manufacturers seem to be able to come up with designs which pass the offset test with flying colors, so this result on a brand new design is cause for concern.

I hope that we don't read months from now that they just needed to add $5 more of steel to the vehicle, for which they could have raised the price by $10 and lost not a single sale.

It is still stunning that all of the high paid people at Ford could not forsee the bad PR from the side test result and make sure that IIHS also tested a car with the side and curtain air bags. Of course, this makes me wonder if it still does not earn a top score with the side and curtain bags. That would be even worse than a poor score without them.

After the excellent results from the Five Hundred / Montego, this is certainly a surprise.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    The Fusion is no less safe in the real world than any other car of the same size
    Unless you've followed all of the crashes a Fusion has been in, this statement is simply a personal opinion.

A side curtain equipped Fusion is just as safe as any other side curtain equipped Camry or Accord in a real life crash scenario.
    You seem to keep stating "real life scenarios", but have no evidence to back it up. I'd rather wait on crash test results, than statement that may not be true.

fsmmcsi: After the excellent results from the Five Hundred / Montego, this is certainly a surprise.
    Yup, I was actually very surprised.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I totally disagree with you.

"Ford did the exact same test and got totally different results." Show me where Fords own results were so dramatically different than those of the IIHS tests? If Ford's results were so different, why did they not offer to pay for a Fusion frontal offset retest? (Certainly the $22K price of a Fusion is a small price to pay compared to bad press)

I would argue that Ford knew there would be foot/knee injuries, and TRIED to remedy it prior to IIHS testing. How else would anyone explain the completely bizzare ramp thinggie Ford installed to reduce loads on the driver's legs? Seriously, what the hell is that thing? (For what its worth, I'm pretty certain based on the IIHS test details that there was only ONE IIHS frontal offset crash.)

From the IIHS test results: "Forces on the right femur and tibia indicate that both upper and lower leg injuries would be possible. Also, a steel pin in the dummy’s ankle broke, indicating forces high enough that ankle injuries would be likely." Who is this supposed to impress in 2006?

"A side curtain equipped Fusion is just as safe as any other side curtain equipped Camry or Accord in a real life crash scenario."

How exactly are you making that statement? I havent seen any results from a side curtain equipped Fusion- are there any available to consumers? As of this writing, EVERY SINGLE new Camry and Accord (and Sonata) made to be sold in the US has side curtains standard, FWIW. The Ford gets with the program in September.. a short 6 months from now...

Again, I'm just curious what kind of data you are privy to that the rest of us average Joes are unaware of, if the IIHS tests are so faulty/misleading.

~alpha
    The side impact results were totally predictable and normal for a car without side airbags. There are a lot of people who don't want side airbags, so Ford decided to make them optional, knowing they'd fare poorly in the first IIHS test. They've asked for a retest with side airbags which I'm positive will have a good result based on the type of injuries reported.

That leaves the frontal offset crash test. One iteration of one very specific crash test. At least repeat it once to see if you get the same results. The Fusion passed all of the government crash tests. And even if you believe the test then worst case is a broken leg. Terrible but not life threatening. And that's ONLY if you HAPPEN to have an offset crash into a stationary object at exactly 40 mph. What about 50 or 60 mph? What about different angles? The chances of being in that exact type of accident are almost non-existent.

If this was a Toyota we wouldn't even be discussing it. But because it's a Ford everybody has to jump on the bashing bandwagon.

If someone has evidence of real world crashes where problems like this are evident - then I'll listen. Until then I feel perfectly safe in my side airbag equipped Fusion.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    After the crash tests, this is not a big issue any more. They can worry about bringing the transmission up to modern standards after they work on bringing the car's crash safety up to modern standards.
    I agree on ALL points.

The ONLY thing that the IIHS test proves that in a SPECIFIC crash situation, with the EXACT vehicle speed, and the EXACT offset angle, that it faired poorly compared to other NEW cars. Does this tell me I should avoid the Fusion/Milan at all costs because of the results? No, not at all.

How do you know for sure that the Fusion/Milan as a whole is unsafe compared to other sedans? You don't, and it's impossible to deduce that from one test. As far as we know, the F/M could actually be SAFER in most other types of accidents compared to the competition. Unless we have accident data collected from years and years of actual use, with different impacts, speeds, angles, and driving situations, such as weather, tire traction, and driver reaction time, we can't make ANY logical judgement on the F/M, and the IIHS tests don't even BEGIN to prove anything.

Sorry, but it's Ford-bashing, plain and simple. If it did well in the tests, it wouldn't be front-page news. If Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Kia faired just as poorly (and they have in past), it wouldn't be front-page news.

Am I still considering the F/M for a new car? Yes, and no ONE single crash test will change that...
    Get over it, folks. This is not Ford-bashing. This is a beating that Ford deserves for not paying more attention to crash safety. The same thing has happened in the past (cf. Hyundai Elantra, Kia Spectra) when a car did not do well on the IIHS crash tests. Sometimes we have short (and selective?) memories, don't we?
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I mean when driving an automatic how many times do you use anything other than 'P', 'R' or 'D'

How many times? Countless times. I always use the SportShift in my car every day. Like taking it out of OD when climbing a long grade, or coming down a grade and you'd rather slow the car a little without riding the brakes. Or in stop and crawl rush hour driving, just leaving the car in second gear to provide braking and pickup when rolling along at 20mph. Or wanting to pass on the highway and shifting down a gear or two for instant torque without having to punch the gas. And so on.

Other cars in this class offer SportShift or similar (Sonata, Accord, Camry). This is a new design for Ford and they miss this boat? And now a crash test issue to deal with? The whole renaming the Zephyr (dressed up Fusion) after not even 1 model year. Ford fumbled the Fusion.

Hardly complaining. Just look at the competition. Ford is taking another ( better) look and appears will do something to address their shortfalls.
    How many times? Countless times. I always use the SportShift in my car every day. Like taking it out of OD when climbing a long grade, or coming down a grade and you'd rather slow the car a little without riding the brakes.

Ok thats why there is a low selection on the car. Again this is much ado about nothing.

Now if you really want all the options of using the gears as you say buy a manual transmission.

The automatic transmission is fine, but they really should offer the V-6 with a manual and an optional auto.

• booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    Ok thats why there is a low selection on the car. Again this is much ado about nothing

Yea - try throwing the Fusion into low coming going 60 mph! This ado is about the Fusion's lack of a feature that the Sonata and Accord have - and it doesn't. And tell Lexus their paddle shifters are much ado about nothing.
    All I am saying is that complaining that the Ford doesn't have the latest, but practically useless, gizmo on it is much ado about nothing.

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    An overdrive lockout or 3rd gear selection is not "the latest gizmo."
    Even the Ford Taurus had this years ago, maybe more than a decade ago.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    First, crash test results are only one piece of information. If you are really worried about safety, you should go look at insurance company pay out per miles driven stats. This is real world hard data and the results may have nothing to do with "safety features" or "test performance." This data isn't available for Fusion so until it is, the jury is really still out.

Now about the 6-speed tranny. This unit is the same unit used in the Toyota Avalon :P. This unit is suppose to have sophisticated sensors that allow it to read the road.

For instance an inclination sensor tells the car when it is on a long grade don't drop into overdrive.

A Y-sensor tells the car "hey we are cornering, don't down shift."

Finally the L is not a specific gear but rather a shift pattern. If you are going up a grade and the electronics aren't producing the result you think you want, a shift to L should just keep the car from going into overdrive.

Etc. The point is you are all spouting off about the Fusion lacking a gate or a whatever when you have never driven the car in the situations you are speculating about to know if that feature even provides a benefit.

I also sell Nissans, when someone who has never owned a Japanese car sits in an Altima and looks at that shifter that you move sides this ways and that ways, they are totally lost.

Ford did right by sticking with a button which is what american car customers recognize. No one I have test driven in a Fusion has asked for a gated shifter or a manumatic feature.

I think that you peeps who are claiming this is necessary would never have considered a Fusion anyway. Ultimate, Ford is aiming the Fusion at the 900,000 + people per year that purchase a Ford F-series and potentially have a 4 door sedan in their garage next to that truck.

Mark.
    No but lets face it, manual modes on automatic transmissions as well as the bells and whistles that can come with them (such as paddle shifters) are nothing but gizmos.

• jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    nothing but gizmos

Face what? That AC is a gizmo? Or a sixth gear is a gizmo? Or that interval wipers are a gizmo?

I test drove the Fusion twice and the Sonata twice. The Fusion is hurtin' compared to the Sonata. I too looked at the Fusion shifter with stunned amazement. Looked like the one on my 20 year old Mustang. Nice innovation Ford.

Gated shifters aren't rocket science. They're a nice touch. Ford's missing the boat on this one.
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    The point is you are all spouting off about the Fusion lacking a gate or a whatever when you have never driven the car in the situations you are speculating about to know if that feature even provides a benefit

I've driven the Fusion twice. Any automatic
    shifter 'senses' my man. The Sportshifters allow you to be a little more involved when driving your car. If someone can't figure out a gated/sportshift shifter within a day of driving with it you gotta wonder if they can even tie their shoes in the morning.
    I too looked at the Fusion shifter with stunned amazement. Looked like the one on my 20 year old Mustang. Nice innovation Ford.

Gated shifters aren't rocket science. They're a nice touch. Ford's missing the boat on this one.

Ford may be missing the boat, but you (and a few others) are missing the point. Gates serve no purpose than to make you feel like you're shifting a manual. It doesn't matter whether or not the automatic transmission has "gates" or not. It doesn't matter, it's an automatic! You shift to D and go, that's it!

Gates are needed with manual transmissions to ensure a proper gearchange, and are nothing but an unnecessary feature with an automatic.

Again, if you want gates, buy a manual. You want to control what gear you're in, buy a manual. No "sportshift" offers anywhere near the control that you get with a manual.
    Face what? That AC is a gizmo? Or a sixth gear is a gizmo? Or that interval wipers are a gizmo?

Please don't put words in my mouth as I never mentioned those things. All I am discussing is the silly notion of manual shifting of an automatic transmission.

Gated shifters aren't rocket science.

I never said they were, I just don't see the point in them. I actually think they are not as good as a straight shifter. Case in point my daily drive the shifter moves back and forth in a straight line. When I am in reverse all I do is move the shifter back until it stops (then it is in drive). In a Lexus I would have to move it down then over then down again then over again, how is that better?

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    When their cars "ace" any of the tests (NHTSA, IIHS, Euro), then we see big stars, gold picks on their promotional materials, but when they fail or do mediocre than suddenly manufacturers and hard core fans (who usually tout looks and/or performance) will start saying "in real life scenario it is better", "if you put this or that, it would be better", etc. Never mind, 90% of volume is sold without "this or that" (to meet certain price point in particular market segment) or those institutions usually test at least two vehicles, and make quite sure the conditions are the same.

Fusion is reasonably-priced, good looking car, its Mazda6 platform proved to have great rideability characteristics (handling), but the structural crashworthiness is obviously flawed (read - it simply stinks for today's standards). If results are worse than 10-year-old design of Sebring, it tells you something.

Mr. William Clay Ford Jr. just recently told us on TV that they renewed their commitment to innovation and safety. Well? Evidence says not so much...

They better fix and do it fast or the tide of public sentiment may turn very fast. Public awareness is rising really rapidly: some manufacturers really noticed it and started aggressive marketing of their developments. Honda, Subaru, all German brands, Lexus, even Toyota are investing, where it counts. Even GM with their Malibu and Saab have something to show.

Ford, Mazda and Volvo are visibly lagging in their respective groups and their only response is lame "no one test can express overall safety and real-life situation".

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Not exactly - you wouldn't hear a word out of me if the Fusion passed the IIHS tests with flying colors. Unless the passenger compartment is compromised or the engine is sitting in the front seat then I don't think crash tests are noteworthy at all because they can't possibly represent a large percentage of real world crashes, especially since we're talking about ONE ITERATION OF ONE TYPE OF TEST!

You guys make it sound like the whole car fell apart and the dummy was decapitated. One piece intruded into the driver's right foot area where it MIGHT have caused foot, leg or ankle injuries. Please try to keep it in perspective.

As for having a more shiftable automatic - yes, that would be a nice feature but for 95% of the target buyers it's a non-issue. It's certainly not hurting sales - they're selling all they can make right now.

And BTW - the shifting is not controlled by the transmission itself - it's controlled by the computer and the software controlling the Avalon is totally different from the software controlling the Fusion. So just because the Avalon has those features doesn't mean Ford gets them for free - they don't unless they program them and that takes time and money.

Give Ford some credit for bringing out 3 totally new vehicles with 8 models in 3 years (Fusion/Milan/Zephyr, 500/Montego/Freestyle, Edge/MKX). You can't do all that and put every possible option in every vehicle right from the beginning. Ford, just like every other large company, has to manage limited resources and pick and choose what they spend time and money on.
    The Toyota Avalon uses Toyota's dumpy (and hopefully soon to be replaced) 5 speed automatic. The Avalon and Fusion do not share a transmission.

~alpha
    You guys make it sound like the whole car fell apart and the dummy was decapitated. One piece intruded into the driver's right foot area where it MIGHT have caused foot, leg or ankle injuries. Please try to keep it in perspective

All great, but we are talking highly competitive market. Why should I choose an inferior product if there is something similar (enough) with better score (provided safety is my major criterion)?

From mere safety point of view (disregarding anything else, which of course is not the case in most consumers decision process) Fusion would be a great car 10 years ago (safetywise), today is below average, i.e. mediocre, behind. And that is by itself unacceptable from a company that claims return to innovation or safety being their primary concern.

As much as I like Fusion and Mazda6, they are inferior to the competition in this department. Period. They may be still ones choice for other reasons, but explanations of "real scenario", "single test", "it's not like the car exploded" are not going to save it.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    Why should I choose an inferior product if there is something similar (enough) with better score (provided safety is my major criterion)?

Seconded.

How can Ford, with all their bucks and R&D, come out with a brand new car that is lacking in so many areas? Or should I say why did they? They're already redoing the Zephyr. Go figure. Not even out a year......
    And how many years has Toyota had to fix their indecisive 5 speed automatic with many owners still complaining several years after introduction? How long did Toyota resist addressing their sludging issue? Why did Honda have to add a field fix to all their V-6 automatic transmissions?

Ford is making side airbags standard on next years Fusion, and they are responding to market demands for more upscale amenities in the Lincoln within one year of introduction. Seems to be pretty quick response to market demands to me. Ford is criticised if they don't get the option mix and features "perfect" on every new model, and then criticised again when they recognize market demands and respond quickly.

As far as IIHS tests go, you can use that as your end all criteria if you want, but any engineer will tell you variation from sample to sample and test to test can easily occur, especially in a test involving violently crashing a vehicle into a fixed object. I don't doubt at all the possibility that Fusion could have passed in Ford's internal tests but for some as yet unexplained reason did less well on the offset front test performed by IIHS. Don't be surprised if Ford submits a Fusion for retest of the front offset as well as for the side impact with a side airbag equipped version.
    I am a structural engineer, actually. Do not deal with statistical data, but I can tell you when something goes from good to poor, it is not great. Moreover, if results are similar fo vehicles with similar body structure (Fusion and Mazda6), it tell me the problem is more than just airbags. My understanding is it was already second attempt for Fusion, so don't tell me it was a "bad batch".

It sometimes happens that the car has some "freak" problem detected during tests (Legacy's airbags did not deploy - they issued a quick recall and resubmitted the vehicle), or companies submit to tests again after first unsuccessful trial, provided they show evidence of modificaitions (IIRC '05 Legacy side impact was only marginal or acceptable, they change the side structure and also did something for rear collision as well, submitted 06 model and got Gold Award).

Regarding response to their other problems, I think it is terrific, provided the response it real, relevant and adequate, and customers are going to see it if it really happens. I would not take it against the company if they recognize a misfire (like the lame 3.0 on Fusion family) and make a quick shift. It would be worse if they insisted that this 3.0 is the greatest thing in the world.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

How is a 23% sales increase over last year lagging?

Mark
  • hancahanca Member Posts: 4
    I can't help to post something after reading all the reaction to IIHS test. I owned an Escort before current Taurus. I am shopping to replace this 2000 Taurus which started to rattle 2 years ago.
    I test dried Fusion last weekend, SEL V6. It failed to jump out after light turn green. It doesn't respond when you hit gas hard. Head room is much smaller than Taurus and so is the back seat. The material is shiny and cheap. It looks good on paper, but still long way to go to get it competable with Camcord. 500 is better, and I will wait for possible more powerful V6.

There are quite few hardcore Ford lovers here. The result from IIHS is enough to sent me, or people alike to look for other cars, or wait for 2 more years. I like Ford, but not stupid. Yes, this is one test, yes there are many other studies out there. But why other cars did better in this same ONE test tahn Fusion.

Trust me, people who come to this tread are interested in Ford products. I come to find the reasons to buy another Ford. Those Camcord lovers won't even look at Fusion forum. I post because I care, not for bashing.

Still a Ford liker, I went to test drive accord EX V6. The MSRP is 2000 more than fusion. when I sit into it, I feel the difference of that $2000. When I drive it I knew why they sell well. Maybe majority of people of this country is politically ignorance, but on buying cars they learn fast. I am the slow one, and still want give 500 a try, but please don't tell Fusion is better, cheaper yes, not better.
    Replace the front sway bar links on your Taurus and the rattle will likely go away, assuming your rattle is front suspension related. It is quite inexpensive. No rattles on my 2000 Taurus at all except when those went bad.

I don't know what you were looking at regarding interior of Fusion's. First time I saw one in person the car blew me away, both interior and exterior, and if I recall it was a SE V-6, not the top of the line version. I have seen very few criticism by any reviewer or even in these discussions about the interior.

Also have not seen one complaint about acceleration lag on Fusion. Maybe something to do with the drive by wire accelerator, that seems to be becoming predominant in all manufacturers, even though the good old mechanical accelerator cable seems to be very reliable and simple.
    Thanks. Although that rattling seems come from the hood, and dealer told me that they can't reproduce what I described. Anyway, I am still happy with my Taurus.
    As for Fusion, maybe I had a too high expectation after reading all these reviews and comments, and excited to replace my Taurus with it. The exterior looks much better than Taurus and Camcord. But I sit into cars of my colleagues, from nissan to accord to VW. Their interior were classy and refreshing, and simply nice. Maybe it's just different taste, Fusion is that attractive except its exterior. The lag at acceleration is apparent and the noise from engine is not a pleasant one. My wife's Jetta V6 has no lag at all, much less has 06 accord. Also Fusion is facing 07 camry, on paper camry is leading already. yes,it's 2-3k more, but it resells for 3-4k more.

I read here is also hoping more knowledgeable people can resolve my concerns. Sometime it's sad to see Ford (don't care about GM) didn't meet people's (some people's) expectation. Well, the sell figure will tell.
    Lots of people have told me "not this car my head touches" after sitting in the Fusion.

The Nissan Altima is about the same.

Mark
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Try Mercury Milan. It supposedly has higher quality interior. But I agree that Montego is nicer car than Milan – interior wise - and especially with navigation. I would not buy Ford if there is a similar Mercury. Mercurys normally are better appointed and feel nad look more refined.
    While I didn't sit in the fusion I have in the Milan. My head didn't touch the ceiling and I am almost 6 foot 4

I will take a look. Thanks.
    My head did not touch, but I was compare it to Taurus, fusion is much smaller. On paper it may say otherwise. also compare to accord, it feels smaller. Frankly I feel like, when reviews say fusion is a good car, they meant good Ford car.
    If you read the multitude of comparison tests between the accord, camry, fusion and sonata you'll see that it's a very good car PERIOD. It came in 2nd to the accord in both C&D and MT for whatever that's worth. It's not perfect but it's a heck of a good car out of the chute that will only get better as they add AWD, hybrids, satellite radio, navigation and (at some point) more power.
    If I follow MT I shall by VW Touray (whatever it spells), and the best truck is Honda. they never have the same choice with everyday Joe. Again fusion is the best car Ford has ever built. That's it. I am holding on my Tautus for another 2 years if it allows me.
    Whoa now! This is a "G" rated forum- please refrain from discussing what you do with your Tautus....

;)
    ~alpha
    To say nothing what you might do with your Touray!
  • massdriver1massdriver1 Member Posts: 20
    Ford made a huge mistake by not making side airbags standard from the get-go. I don't understand the logic at all. They're struggling to compete, yet they continue with the cost cutting. Hyundai Sonata comes standard with airbags up the wazoo, and Ford makes them an option?
    It's obvious that all cars are going to have them in a few years time anyways, why not do it right from the start?
    I don't believe the arguement that "not everyone wants them, why should they pay for them? If seat belts and front airbags weren't mandated, would they charge extra for those too?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Dougjp wrote: I dislike tailights that look like a cross between aluminum foil and sun bleached lenses after years in a junkyard, and to me its a deal breaker (as it was for the Altima). Otherwise the car has appeal. So when a traditional taillight option arrives, or the aftermarket makes one available, I'll be interested.

I have to agree. I really like everything about the Fusion I've seen so far and would seriously consider it as my next car, except for those gawdawful taillights. What was Ford thinking? They are even uglier than the Altima's since they can't seem to decide what they want to be, neither conventional nor "Euro" style (although no self-respecting Euro I know would ever consider those fast-and-furious plastichrome add-ons as "Euro"). I'd switch to the Milan in an instant, except that it isn't sold in Canada. Maybe the dealers here can order the Mercury part...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Unfortunately, the Milan's taillamps are a different shape than the Fusion's. It's not the Fusion's taillamps that I dislike, I can live with them; it's the front end. I like the Milan's much better. I also like the interior of the base Milan with its aluminum trim and power seat much better than the base interior on the Fusion. There's some really good deals on Milan leases now too--close to $200/month with 0 money out of pocket for Ford partners. If the IIHS retest goes well I can put the Milan back on my shopping list.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    " It's obvious that all cars are going to have them in a few years time anyways, why not do it right from the start?"

From personal experience...it's hard to introduce a vehicle, and the logistics ordering behind the parts, and be able to pull a successful launch. Therefore certain options, items, are left for late availability once production ramps up.

This method has allowed the successful Launch of the 500, Mustang (for example) which has allowed Ford to place tops, or 2nd in initial quality when a vehicle has been introduced. Specially for those 2 vehicles where they were totally brand new designs, built at newly renovated factories.

So as anything else, there's a pro and con. Which is why the SAB will become standard later in the year. And why a few other items will be introduced as well.