Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    The original Taurus/Sable had 4 wheel disc brakes. I don't know exactly when they got "thrifted" to drums, but I was pissed when I noticed it. THAT I remember. My 87 Sable had 4 wheel Discs.

I own an 04 Monterey (The Mercury Freestar) and I have to stick up for it. I was never a Windstar fan, having rented many of them, and bought a Villager instead for my business because of my rental experience. When my lease on the Villager was up, I leased a Monterey, expecting not much. I have been very pleasantly surprised! The interior appointments are very very nice, and I got the stripper. It's extremely comfy, and best of all, no defects yet, in 2000 miles. That really surprised me for an early edition of a new model. It could use a more refined engine, but the corporate 4.2 Essex engine runs fine and has great torque. It's just a little rough for today. Reminds me of damn near anything GM makes. You may not like the Freestar, but from my experience so far, it's a big improvement over the Windstar, and a great introduction of a new vehicle.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    I believe it was 98-99 when they switched to rear drums, dont' quote me though...
    Sounds about right, ANT. My last Taurus was a 92, and I believe it had discs too.
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Posts: 212
    for a car with all the bold, masculine overtones as the 427 concept. Falco is better than any of them.

What gives with the Mazda6 based crossover for Ford? What about the Escape and the Freesyle?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    Fairlanes with racing engines in the 1960's were far from 'wimpy'.
    There's 4 names that are being tossed around, again... Torino, Granada (supposedly they don't REALLY have to use the "F" name, so they say), Fairlane and Falcon.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I think Four-Hundred would be great. It correctly asserts the status as the Five-Hundreds little bro, and the alphanumeric makes the car sound upscale, a bit.

I think Ford is insane if it wants to conjure up memories of the Granada, hell even the Torino. Tomcat- how many people in the target audience of this vehicle are REALLY going to remember thundering Fairlanes of 40 years ago?

~alpha
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    ALL I remember about Granada is that Ford ran ridiculous advertisements comparing the car favorably to a Mercedes Benz.

yeah, right.

They need to resurrect that like they need more holes in their heads.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    And how many of the "target buyers" remember Granada or Torino? It was only 10 years after Fairlanes.

If they call it 'Torino' the muscle car crowd will howl, saying "it should have V8/RWD".
    Like I said, forget the heritage names, and go with Four Hundred.

~alpha
  • daytona3daytona3 Posts: 24
    I like the name Falcon. I think it is fresh enough and appropriate enough to apply to a fresh, sporty sedan. From what I can gather, I don't see it carrying any negative baggage. I could be wrong, though, as I don't know that much about Ford's past.

I think Fairlane should be reserved for the Ford flagship - a model above the Five Hundred. This is where I think the Australian Falcon platform could be used to make the car rwd and V-8 powered. Styling could come from the 427 concept while the Crown Vic soldiers on for a while for police and taxi duty.

I would rather not see Granada used as it projects an old image that is not too favorable. Besides its past, I think the name just sounds old.

I just don't think Torino would fit either. It has an image of a muscle car instead of a highly sophisticated family sedan. The Accord, Camry, and Altima are targets, and I just think Torino brings up images of muscle cars. That's my opinion, of course.

The Four Hundred nameplate could work, but I'd rather see Ford give this car a name instead of a number. I'd rather be known by my name rather than by a social security number. I'd like to be able to remember the nameplate as well.

Falcon has my vote and possibly my future dollars as well.
    I prefer Falcon myself, Torino, and Granada conjure up images of Spain and not in a favorable way either. And Fairlane sound like a nursing home community with a golf course.

Ironically, there is a brand of tires named Falcon as well...who knows what the legalities with that may be, btu Ford does have the name rights to Falcon which they have kept alive.
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Posts: 212
    I wonder if it would come in bright red with a big white swoosh on the side? Just in time for product placement in the sequel!
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    Having grown up in the 1970's, I have good memories of Falcons, Fairlanes, Torinos, and Granadas, so I have no problem with any of these names. However, Four Hundred reminds me of the Dodge 400, a K car derivative from the early 1980's. An insider who posts on another message board says that Chroma is a possibility, but that is the worst name I have read.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,760
    I think it was was Dodge 600.
  • daytona3daytona3 Posts: 24
    There was a Dodge 400 and a Dodge 600 later on. I hope Ford doesn't follow with the 400 nameplate.

I also have to vote against Chroma. It just sounds strange to me. Ford Chroma? I still like Falcon. It is a name people wil know how to pronounce and visualize at the same time.
    Chroma sounds like a model of the Toyota Avalon. It does NOT sound like a Ford.

As I think about it, even keeping the Taurus name is better than Granada!
    Well, it wouldnt be the Ford 400. It would be the Ford Four Hundred. Makes a big difference, IMO.

Personally, I think Ford has issues naming new vehicles. While the Generals (cars) may not always have been great designs, many of the names flow off the tounge more easily and sound hella better to speak. Intrigue, Alero, Ranier, LaCrosse, Cobalt, Velite, Solstice, ION, etc. are a few of the cool-er sounding GM names. About the only cool sounding Ford name I can think of is Focus.

~alpha
    I like Fusion myself....

They just won't offer that name here because overseas it's a small SUV built on the Fiesta platform, known as Ecosport in South America.

But then again, if Ford is thinking of using Falcon which is an Australian vehicle, they could very well do Fusion here....
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    They should call it Faction, then have a Falcon trim level, a Fairlane trim level, and a Four Hundred trim level.

Peeps can ask "So what Faction are you?"

Mark
    I'm good with Four Hundred. I'm not good with much else mentioned. Falcon, for those of us who remember them well, conjures up the image of a stripped and really rough econobox. A Cavalier would be a good "today's analogy" for a Falcon.
    Granada sure has a negative connotation- but it was a wildly popular seller, and personally, I loved 'em. Especially the Ghia models. Great interiors!

NOpe, I still like Four Hundred best.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    I saw that Ford recently trademarked Chroma. Could be for something else though, or just speculative. I like Chroma better than Four Hundred. A numerical name spelled out is still a numerical name, and I am sick of them. I would be fine with Fairlane, Fairmont or Granada too. Falcon should be reserved for the new subcompact that is rumored to be in development. After all, that's what the original Falcon was.

Regarding Chroma...that name has only been tossed around for a few days, and people on other message boards have already made the following jokes:

"Chroma-tose"
    "Chroma-chroma-chroma-chameleon"

So I was thinking, that name should appeal to people who work with TV equipment. Because, of course, you start your Chroma with a Chroma key :-)

-Andrew L
    With all due respect, the Chroma name makes me sicka.
    I can tell you, Chroma has been ruled out. Don't be surprised if you see it as a concept's name though...
    Thanks for always providing awesome info. You're an asset here. And thank whoever at Ford ruled out that absurd name.

~alpha
    BUT, let's not breathe a collective sigh of relief just yet. As I mentioned earlier, just POST what you like and dislike on this forum, people are listening here.....

Now, whether the power that be absorb it, is another story....
    Which of the heritage (legacy) names most accurately fits the Future, ANT?

FAIRLANE: Once the flagship of the Ford fleet, was downsized in 62, giving way to the Galaxie - went away in 72 I think, giving way to the Torino.

FAIRMONT: Designed as a midsize/downsize replacement for the Torino in 78 - a hearty little workhorse, known for chintzy interior parts and the goofiest horn button idea in automotive history. Gave way to the second generation Granada in the early 80's.

GRANADA: With a questionable reputation, although I don't know why, this "precision sized" near luxury car was a huge hit for Ford in 75, offering really nice styling, a Ghia interior package that rivaled Lincoln for "vinyl" luxury in a Ford/Mercury product. Why it took it on the chin in later years is beyond me, I always wanted to own one, but couldn't afford one back then.

FALCON: Personally, that's the Focus to me.

So, ANT, where does the Futura fit in the lineup? I can't see it as a Fairlane...don't want to see it as a Fairmont (owned one, a so so car IMO.) Granada would work for me, but evidently, that name bears a lot of negative baggage out there, and Falcon - they already have one.

Also, I don't see much brand equity in the Fairmont or Granada names, personally.
    Your assessment is correct, and my feelings are the same. I believe Falcon so far has the strongest identity as far as names.

I wouldn't doubt it if some last ditch effort, Faction, or Fusion, or some other name (not used on a prior vehicle before) is used...
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    you denigrate the 1978 Fairmont rightfully on the interior but perhaps you had a 4 or 6cyl. and therein your disappointment. I had a 302v8 rocket, don't really remember its demise. Can't recall the horn button anomaly.