Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    You have a Zephyr. Why are you not using the automatic climate control?

I'm curious...
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    I am using the automatic climate control. I have it set to 67 degrees. Yet it takes a long time to cool and I don't think it reaches anywhere near 67 degrees. I have to manually increase the fan speed and keep it blasting at about 5-6 bars to feel more comfortable. That just completely negates the fantastically quiet cabin feeling of the Zephyr.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Hit the recirculate button....

When you first get into the car on a hot day, open all the windows and the moonroof and run the A/C in vent mode so that it brings in outside air.

Once all the super hot air is out of the car, close all the windows and moonroof. (usually takes a minute to get the hot air out or less) Hit the recirculate button.

Mark.
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    Are there any pictures of the I-4 with the appearance package? Ford is doing great things with this car and the Mustang. They should continue to be successes for the company. Ford should keep this type of yearly attention up and refined the design and approach upon the redesign instead of starting from scratch. I can't wait to see a manu-shift dropped in the Fusion and the 3.5 V6.
    More toys were added actually as I mentioned months ago, MP3, Sirius, AUX Jack for music, etc. Haven't seen any pictures with the I-4 appearance package. At least not yet, but give it a month or 2...
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Description of that package includes "black chrome grille". Would I be correct in assuming one could in some way get that without the rest of the package...by buying the part and replacing the chrome, if nothing else?

I really hate the chrome grille, so I look forward to seeing the car with this new alternate grille.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Startegic Vision is just doing this to get mentioned in a Ford commercial...

or meybe its true!

I don't care for the ford insured tuner package, but the availability of a nav is very good.

Finally we are starting to see nav systems in domestics OTHER THAN Cadillacs and Lincolns.

This combined with the more powerful engine (PLEASE!) will put the fusion higher up on peoples charts. Also, Fusion needs mp3 playback jack especially since they featured an ipod on one of the first commercials. The only thing left is for them to add the manumatic.

This car is getting better all the time. It should catch up to the segment leaders right before there next re-design. :sick:

Still, This cars really does give them all something serious to worry about! :D
    For the Milan, in addition to side air bags, ABS will be standard on all models.

2007 Milan
  • calhoncalhon Member Posts: 87
    However, recirculation should not be used for extended periods. Auto HVAC systems are designed for normal use with ventilation to maintain proper humidity and air quality. The moisture, CO2 and other gases (pretty nasty at times) emitted by the occupants need to be expelled along with the toxic chemicals emitted from the plastics, carpets, etc. - the lovely new car smell. And there is the need for fresh air (oxygen) to breathe. It's not like a refrigerator - normally no live bodies inside one of those.

Extended recirulation can cause moisture build-up and stinky mold growth inside the HVAC system. In cool or very humid (e.g, rainy) weather, it increases the chances of fogging. These problems are more likely with new cars that are more tightly sealed to reduce noise.
    They have an MP3 Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I hope this means the Fusion and Zephyr have it too. THIS IS SOO GOOD! These cars are really doing it in the market, and are serious contenders! It at least shows that ford can correct its mistakes.

I can't wait to read the next comparoes.
    and the winner for Premium Mid-Size Car = Hyundai Sonata :confuse:
    It just goes to show that things like AutoPacific do not know much about cars, and are just trying to get their names mentioned in a commercial.

They so insulted themselves with this one.

We need to wait untill more established agencies vote these cars as number 1, like (unfortunatley) consumer reports, JD Power, and of course, the most established, which is the buying public :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Any word on what the price increase (if any) will be on the Milan for 2007? With the added equipment I would expect some price increase. If not, it will make the Milan a great value.
  • tboontboon Member Posts: 2
    Test drove and took home a Milan in May. Next morning, tire pressures checked at 40psi. Tried 3 different gauges and all agreed. Door placard says 33psi max and tires (Michelin MXM4) are marked 44psi max. Lowered pressure to 33. Low speed behavior is terrible at this pressure. Excessive steering effort and turning radius. Am now running at 36 psi - much better. Dealership says to run 33psi. Any one have good guidance on this?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The high initial pressure was due to the dealership not resetting the pressure after shipment. They set it high at the factory to avoid flatspotting the tires during shipment.

36 (or even 38) should be fine. I've always run mine a few psi higher than recommended. The factory settings are usually tuned for ride comfort, not for optimal handling. The only thing to watch is the treadwear - if you see the middle starting to wear faster than the outside edges then they're overinflated and you need to lower the pressure. Otherwise run whatever feels best. You'll also get a tiny bit better fuel mileage.
  • tboontboon Member Posts: 2
    Thanks akirby. Set to 37 this morning. Short run shows promise. Parking lot manners were much better than 33.
    Also, seems to be much less torque steer.
    Can't believe Merc would say 33 for this car.
    A dump truck would have been easier in a parking lot.
    With this and improving gas mileage, my lingering buyers remorse should fade. Lot to like about this car. Thanks again!
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Hi Fusion owners,
    I have looked at this car and wish to buy it. It looks like I can buy it with the "A Plan". If the MSRP is say $22,000.00, what would the approximate price be with the plan?
    Thanks!
  • theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    Hi Fusion owners,
    I have looked at this car and wish to buy it. It looks like I can buy it with the "A Plan". If the MSRP is say $22,000.00, what would the approximate price be with the plan?
    Thanks!

Hi, I know this one. I'm not a fusion owner, but I do know a little about the employee discount pricing. From the way I understand it, you don't even look at the MSRP. The way the Employee discount works is take 5% off of the invoice price not the MSRP. So, if the Fusion is $20,000 MSRP i'm guessing the Invoice is probably about $18,750 something. Take 5% off of $18,750, that's your employee discount price. Also, I still think that you are eligible for any cash back incentives they have going on at the vehicle at the time as well. Don't quote me on it, but thats the way it was explained to me. If anybody has more specific information, please feel free to jump in. I hoped that helps :D
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Also, I still think that you are eligible for any cash back incentives they have going on at the vehicle at the time as well.

That is 100% correct. With the X-Plan the dealer is not allowed to tack on any extra "paper" fees either so I would imagine the A-Plan is the same.
    You can only use A plan if you're a Ford employee. X plan is for Ford Partners and friends of employees.

X plan for a Ford is 0.4% below dealer invoice. Lincoln is 0.6% above dealer invoice. X plan is 4% higher than A plan.

Go look up the dealer invoice price, add destination and subtract $100 and that's real close to X plan. Divide by 1.04 to get approximate A plan.

The dealer is required to show you the invoice in either case and it has the A and X plan prices clearly printed. The dealer is not allowed to keep any rebates or other incentives including dealer cash nor are they allowed to charge any additional fees like documentation or prep or advertising.
    X plan for a Ford is 0.4% below dealer invoice.

That does not sound like much of a deal. I have nothing to do with Ford or any partners and neither does my credit union. I can get $250 under invoice just using my credit union's "preferred dealer network".

Although, they would typically add back in $80-100 document fee and not sure if the invoice that they deduct the $250 from has advertising fees included. Even so, worst case would probably end up not more than $100 or so above this X plan.
    "You can only use A plan if you're a Ford employee. X plan is for Ford Partners and friends of employees."

My mom married someone who retired from Ford. He has since passed away. She has purchased two cars under which she called the "A plan". She says (as her son) all she has to do is give me this number, and I can get the discount.

Is she misinformed?
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    We just went through a hot spell where I live of temps into the 102 mark. I did excatly what someone had posted. Open all windows/moonroof ect, blow out hot air for about the first 3-5 minutes. I then closed all windows moonroof ect and turned on the A/C in recirc mode. This seems to cool the car in a timely manor. I also use my auto temp...
    You can only use A plan if you're a Ford employee. X plan is for Ford Partners and friends of employees.

thats not completely correct. From what i've heard, it's not just for the employee but direct family members. Husband,wife, son and daughter. I think it may also include grandparents. Now that I'm not sure about. But I know if you are apart of the immediate family you are eligible for the A-plan. The X-plan part is correct. How much they get off on that I'm not sure.
    From what i've heard, it's not just for the employee but direct family members.

Of course it includes immediate family. But at least one person in the family has to be a Ford employee - that was my point. I guess I didn't phrase it the right way.
    If you are eligible for her to give a PIN to, that is all you need.

A-plan pins are only good for one degree of seperation and in-laws who would be allowed if they were blood relations.

Parents, siblings, children.
    NOT grandchildren unless parent co-owns
    NOT nieces nephews or cousins.

Mark.
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    I took it in for service and they declared that nothing is wrong with the airconditioner. However, they claimed that the calibration of the AC was set wrong (allegedly, this vehicle was set for "a colder climate" than here (San Jose California), and they recalibrated it.

Never heard of this before but whatever they did has made a big difference. The air blowing out is much colder - if I set the auto climate control at 67 as I used to, I'm freezing by the end of my 15 minute drive to work. It's now set at 70 degrees!
    I agree, does sound kind of funny. Calibrated for a colder climate?? Great anyway you got it fixed. I saw a Zeph this weekend while at the coast. It was in red and wow! what an eye catcher! I thought the Fusion had style, the Zeph really stands out in a crowd. In my opinion Ford should only give the new 3.5 to the Zeph. Maybe offer the 3.5 in the Fus/Mil as a Fusion GT or Milan GT, something to set these apart. I really feel the 3.0 is plenty for the Fusion/Milan in my opinion.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I really feel the 3.0 is plenty for the Fusion/Milan in my opinion.

Yes, but it's not going to convince anyone to actually visit a Ford/Mercury showroom if the Sonata/Accord/Camry's V6 advertises more HP.

The 3.5L is long overdue, but if they want to differentiate the Zephyr (soon to be MKZ?), tune it for a few more HP.
    How about a Black Zephyr with silver over red pin strip...got one at my lot, very very sharp.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    How about a Black Zephyr with silver over red pin strip...got one at my lot, very very sharp.

Yeeesshh pinstripes. Does it have a carriage roof as well?
    Nice to see the Fusion coming into its own. I have an associate who has purchased only BMW and Audi vehicles over the years. He took a long hard look at my Fusion SEL V6. He was impressed with the fit/finish and quality of build of the Fusion. Said "it was very European like" and "unlike Ford to build a vehicle like this". This person has been around the block in his years. Traveled the globe and is very successful. It was nice to hear these comments. I feel I picked a winner here. I am more confident people will find the Fusion even if the media thumbs its nose at the car... :P
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    if you have a code, you should be able to see the price using ford's website. i have done that for 'x' plan.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    "I took it in for service and they declared that nothing is wrong with the airconditioner. However, they claimed that the calibration of the AC was set wrong (allegedly, this vehicle was set for "a colder climate" than here (San Jose California), and they recalibrated it."

I can tell you straight from the horses mouth, there's no such thing as calibrating it for colder/hotter climates. When the vehicles leave the factory, they are all set with a standard (for everyplace) settings. There's nothing to calibrate for that matter.

Imagine if all vehicles had such a calibration. The warranty/service dept. would be going crazy with "pre-owned" vehicles that have been shipped from one region to another.

If you believe something WAS done, and your comfortable, then thats great. Maybe something else was tweaked, but certainly not calibrated for a specific climate. I would be interested in seeing what was written on the work-order, or what would turn up on the Oasis report.
  • yoribe2yoribe2 Member Posts: 65
    I recently rented a Fusion SE with a 4-cyl engine and took it for a drive to Pt. Reyes in California. The car had 9700 miles on it. I am using my 2003 Accord as a benchmark.

Gripes:

-The transmission does not have a overdrive or "2" selector for upshifting during hill climbs and overtaking. The transmission is rather slow to upshift, and I would want some degree of control over the shifting.
    -The outside door mirrors are comparably shorter lengthwise.
    -The sun visor kept popping out of its catch every time I flipped it down or up.
    -The turn signal stalk is angled 45 degrees, making it somewhat cumbersome to use.
    -The map lights are integrated in the dome light, in the center of the ceiling which is not the most convenient location for them. They are just too bright.
    -The fuel filler door does not have a locking mechanism.
    -The door panel already made squeaking sounds as I pulled the door to close it.
    -Rear seat only has built-in headrests whereas many competitors have separate adjustable height headrests.
    -The key with the integrated remote door unlock button is too big and thick.
    -Texture, feel, composition, "plushness" of seat upholstery not as good as Acccord's.
    -This is rather subjective, but I felt the gauges looked rather chintzy with the wide beveled silver rims and I never liked Ford's lime green dashboard illumination.
    -Map pockets on front doors are too small to be useful.
    -Suspension could be a little stiffer.

Anti-gripes:
    -AWESOME styling. It runs circles around Camry and Accord's.
    -2.3 liter engine has decent acceleration, is smooth and power is good.
    -Combined fuel economy was 28.65 MPG with mostly highway miles.
    -Audio controls on steering wheel are handy.
    -Trip computer that computes gas mileage is handy.
    -Minimal and straightforward buttons and controls.
    -Auto-locking feature that locks when the car is in motion is convenient. Being able to open locked doors from inside without having to unlock them is convenient. Accord does not have this feature.
    -Two-tiered console box with power point on the bottom is handy (probably taken from Accord).
    -Steering is precise, probably owing to Mazda mechanicals.

Question: I read somewhere that the 2.3 engine is the same engine used in the Mazda6i and Mazda3s - is this true?

If my Accord was totaled, this car would be on the top of my list for a replacement car. I think the styling makes up for the shortcomings I've listed. Ford has a winner here! :D
    "I recently rented a Fusion SE with a 4-cyl engine and took it for a drive to Pt. Reyes in California. The car had 9700 miles on it. I am using my 2003 Accord as a benchmark."

I think with the exception of one or two items, most of the things you listed under "gripes" are subjective to the driver.

I don't think you should consider anything other than an Accord. Clearly, you would be happier with a 3 or 4 year old Honda than a new Ford.
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    I had a 2003 Accord, and now have a 2006 Fusion, the Fusion rides like a 2002 Camry (had that also) and handles and brakes like a 2003 Accord. Gas mileage on the 6 seems to be about the same as both of them (both were 4 cyls) which is surprising.

The turn signal stalk is indeed awkward, I hate not having a locking gas cap.

I like having no rattles of any kind, however I do not like the view out the rear.

I do like the dash, not as good as the Accord though.

Even the tires are not bad, still can't get use pulling fast across an intersection and spinning the tires, this did not happen with my 2005 Escape, a fine vehicle unlike my 2001 Mazda Tribute.
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    As I understand it, the Fusion is based on the Mazda6 architecture, and uses the same 2.3L engine as found in the Mazda6i and the Mazda3s. Based on some of the things you talked about, you might want to drive the 6i as a comparison, although it is a touch smaller (1" width and about 4-5" length)...I would imagine its suspension is stiffer -- our 6i corners really nicely for a 4 door sedan.
    I feel like it never does what I want it to do.

If i just want to slightly increase speed it downshits unexpectadly.

If i want to accelerate quickly, i can't because the thing starts out in second.

It has jerky shifts and makes for weird throttle tip in. I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!

What I want to know is if Nissan can build a CVT cheap enough to put into a Versa for $15,500, why can't Ford get us a CVT in the Fusion?

Mark.
    Ever thought of reprogramming? :)
    know of a bra (front end mask ) avialable for Fusion SEL V6 yet? :shades:
    "If i want to accelerate quickly, i can't because the thing starts out in second.

It has jerky shifts and makes for weird throttle tip in. I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!"

Is the new Fusion "drive by wire? People have had the same complaints about the new Sonata.

I own a '05 4Runner that is "drive by wire". It acts somewhat different than a gas pedal that has direct linkage to the motor/transmission.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I haven't heard the Sonata's five-speed automatic described in quite those terms, but assuming some people are having that kind of behavior, at least it offers the choice of shifting manually with its "shiftronic" feature.
    Hey I was just messing around the net and I stumbled upon this short little video of some media personal taking a test drive in the new 2007 Mercury Milan AWD. Notice in the video,it is raining cats and dogs and the car never starts to slip. :shades:

Here's the video, You need Read Player to watch it
    2007 Mercury Milan AWD Test Video !!!

Also, I'm starting to hear rumors that the Milan will be available with the New 3.5 liter V6 as an avaliable option. Can anybody find out if this is true or not. :D
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    What I want to know is if Nissan can build a CVT cheap enough to put into a Versa for $15,500, why can't Ford get us a CVT in the Fusion?

IIRC, the CVT was supposed to be in the Fusion, but was pulled at the last minute before launch. That's why the shifter doesn't have notches for "1", "2" etc.
    and wasn't the CVT dropped because customers didn't like it in the 500?